Who wanted/wants to become a cricketer?

JibranAnsari

ODI Captain
Runs
I fell in love with cricket during 1996 world cup and after that I became mad for cricket and my aim of life then became to play cricket for pakistan. I started going to nets daily and used to play weekly matches, but then study did not leave me enough time to concentrate on my cricket. Ten I was then , I still remember the passion i had to play cricket for pakistan. How many of you have experienced this?

Thought about doing that for a while about a year ago, realised it'd need a LOT of hard work, kind of drifted away from being cricket-mad for a while, am now moderately cricket-mad and have accepted I can't be the next Inzi bhai :inzi

Cricket came into my life at the age of seven when the biggest luxury for me was playing cricket with cousins and watching cricket on tv.Never used to be a good batsmen neither a good bowler.
Was weakest player among the cousins.I loved playing test matches and used to bat for hours with out scoring runs i loved to stop the bowl and just stay on crease with doing tick tick.
Never got selected in school cricket team.That time my batting was better but due to pressure i could not perform in trials.In 10th class finally got selected in class,s cricket team and that was not due to my performance but the reason was that i had got a classic CA bat and at the eve of the match i sent text message to our team,s captain that the only case i would bring the bat to school is that if you confirm my place in the team and hence i was selected.

Then at the age of 18 started playing cricket on different grounds in the village.Created our cousins team named as "KHANZ 11".I used to open the bat for the team.Never gave an explosive start to the team but always stayed till 8th or 9th over with one or two boundries and most of singles and double.

Then came the university life(Still in progress).I got selected in our class team without trials because the way i talked about cricket and the knowledge i had about cricket made them think that i am a first class player.Failed on multiple ocassions with team and i had to make excuse that actually "It,s hard to switch from hard ball to tape ball.

We have a professional cricket academy near our hostel every year i decide to join it but the tough study shedule and the fear of parents prohibit me to do so.But still i am passionate about cricket and think that there may be a twist and i may be a part of cricket team.I have an example of Saeed Anwer who started his cricketing carrer after completing engineering so "UMEED PAY DUNYA QAIM HAY"........Still i haven,t given up.

I want to be a cricketer probably won't become one but still train 3-4 times a week 1.5-2 hrs each day and play for U15 and seniors, theres no harm in trying and it keeps me fit. I'll try but I know that the odds are low and that studying is more important.

I also fell in love with Cricket after 1996 WC. I started playing tape-ball cricket at school and became captain of my class cricket team. In 2000, I joined a cricket club and played 3 matches with hardball on cement pitch. I found it difficult to bat wearing pads, guard, thigh, gloves. etc. My footwork and running got slow because of different gears and I couldn't score any runs. I thought I would become good with practice.

It was 2001, when I played on a real pitch at Arbab Niaz Stadium, Hyderabad. I went to bat at number 3 and lasted four balls for a duck. That's when I realized that I had no talent and mentality for cricket and decided to hang up my boots...

I hope to become an professional cricketer one day InshAllah I started 4 years ago when I was 11-12 but I never thought I was good as I meant to be. So I kept on playing building up my skills kept on practising. When I had county trials for Warwickshire I flopped for some reason :facepalm:. hopefully next year i get to go again and succeed this time. InshAllah.

lol i flopped im my trails about 6 months ago aswell, oh well next time.

I have been into cricket since 1999 World Cup or little earlier but I was not very mad about cricket then compared to what I am today. When we moved to Canada cricket faded away and I barely played here until I joined Highschool team. In 2009 I started playing league cricket in Canada and before that it was all tape ball.

Anyways, coming to the question I have never wanted to be a professional cricket, I don't want to make cricket as my earning really.

Salaam.

Was on trial for the first ever Norwegian U19 team, but that team never happened so yeah :)
Who knows might make the national team sometime, but usually don't play that much because of other activities during summer, but will try to play much next year, insha Allah.

Am crazy for cricket and becoming a cricketer would be the best thing that can happen to me! But the problem is that I have not played cricket for 3 and a half years now!

Last edited:
my friend was/is a very good batsman. good keeper too

used to make loads of run in inter school cricket. like he would be head and shoulders above anyone else on the field as a player. once he was also picked up as a reserve for karachi zebras for a t20 as a reserve as a 16-17 yr old (and he was 17 yrs for reals haha not in afridi years)

got selected for pak u17s or some other junior level not sure!

but then his family did not allow him to continue cricket as a career :facepalm:

now he is studying in usa and has lost interest in playing cricket forever!

Last edited:
Thought about doing that for a while about a year ago, realised it'd need a LOT of hard work, kind of drifted away from being cricket-mad for a while, am now moderately cricket-mad and have accepted I can't be the next Inzi bhai :inzi

Don't worry about the next Inzi, we need another Anwar first.

You fit that bill perfectly ;)

Back to the question - without any arrogance, I reckon if my brothers and I were given full freedom by our parents to play full-time, we'd have had a good go at it.

Only problem is, though, that selection in the Pakistani team is sporradic at best, and full of nepotism at its worst - so being selected for the team you love would have been more up to chance and good connections rather than merit. Even Afridi had his elder brother pull some strings behind the scenes to get a shoe in.

With Pak out of the picture - I doubt I would have liked playing for any other country.

I have been a die hard cricket fan since a kid and in between i played hard ball cricket too and played for soem club cricket aswell but that was for very limited time and i eventually came close to play for banks but my dad didnt alowed me, said its waste of time, this and that. get yourself into business and all so i got very dis hearted and my dream to pplay cricket ended right there cuz not only dad, whole familyy didnt supported me so it got a hell worse.

by the way, i was a fast bowler with natural inswing and my coach used to tell me, work on your out swinger and my biggest let down was, my no balls. used to take wikts but with no balls, not always happened like that but few times and i have a very good slow deliveries. still on sundays i play tape ball matches with friends but still watch lots of cricket when possible.

Last edited:
Cricket came into my life at the age of seven when the biggest luxury for me was playing cricket with cousins and watching cricket on tv.Never used to be a good batsmen neither a good bowler.
Was weakest player among the cousins.I loved playing test matches and used to bat for hours with out scoring runs i loved to stop the bowl and just stay on crease with doing tick tick.
Never got selected in school cricket team.That time my batting was better but due to pressure i could not perform in trials.In 10th class finally got selected in class,s cricket team and that was not due to my performance but the reason was that i had got a classic CA bat and at the eve of the match i sent text message to our team,s captain that the only case i would bring the bat to school is that if you confirm my place in the team and hence i was selected.

Then at the age of 18 started playing cricket on different grounds in the village.Created our cousins team named as "KHANZ 11".I used to open the bat for the team.Never gave an explosive start to the team but always stayed till 8th or 9th over with one or two boundries and most of singles and double.

Then came the university life(Still in progress).I got selected in our class team without trials because the way i talked about cricket and the knowledge i had about cricket made them think that i am a first class player.Failed on multiple ocassions with team and i had to make excuse that actually "It,s hard to switch from hard ball to tape ball.

We have a professional cricket academy near our hostel every year i decide to join it but the tough study shedule and the fear of parents prohibit me to do so.But still i am passionate about cricket and think that there may be a twist and i may be a part of cricket team.I have an example of Saeed Anwer who started his cricketing carrer after completing engineering so "UMEED PAY DUNYA QAIM HAY"........Still i haven,t given up.

All the best.

by the way, i was a fast bowler with natural inswing and my coach used to tell me, work on your out swinger and my biggest let down was, my no balls. used to take wikts but with no balls, not always happened like that but few times and i have a very good slow deliveries. still on sundays i play tape ball matches with friends but still watch lots of cricket when possible.

Considering the contents of your most popular thread I would think no balls would be a non issue for you :akhtar

I want to become a cricketer and I am crazy about it. I love this game and I am daily playing. and this is my dream to become a cricketer.

My brothers 6 yrs old and wants to become a cricketer he is mad about cricket and knows wat no other child of his age would, we live in England and I asked him who do u want to play for he said Pakistan,
Never the less I want his dreams to come true inshallah they will

There isn't a moment I don't think about this. My life and my obstacles prevent me from accomplishing this goal but I promised myself when I have a kid I'll make him a cricket pro.

There isn't a moment I don't think about this. My life and my obstacles prevent me from accomplishing this goal but I promised myself when I have a kid I'll make him a cricket pro.

why would yo uwanna do that to your son lol!
esp considering youre in USA, he will likely have no interest in the game

Anything is possible....If you want then you can do it,believe in yourself...

Its never too late.....

when i was young i thought i could do it, i was really good for my age when i was 11, 12, hardly anyone could play my off or leg spin. unfortunately when i moved to london didnt have any satellite tv so didnt watch cricket for 2 or 3 years, went to a school that hardly played cricket in PE, none of my mates played or liked cricket. totally stopped playing and forgot about it.

when i got to college loads of guys were into cricket so i played with them, but the previous 4 or 5 years of not playing meant my skill levels retarted. i wasn't good enough to be in the team, so i gave up, and just forgot about every playing at any serious level.

Working hard in nets since my injuries stopped me play cricket for 1 season,trying to find some form in upcoming matches,doing well in nets against bowling machines and having fun by bowling at those person who tells them as batsman but cant bat,giving them some hit in the great area between the thigh pad and box,bowling a quick full toss at hip,etc just for fun.those idiots cant react for spin bowlers.i am a mad in cricket and want to become a cricketer when i saw steve waugh's 120 vs south africa in 1999 and sachin's and dravids superb knocks against kenya as a 4 year old.

when i was young i thought i could do it, i was really good for my age when i was 11, 12, hardly anyone could play my off or leg spin. unfortunately when i moved to london didnt have any satellite tv so didnt watch cricket for 2 or 3 years, went to a school that hardly played cricket in PE, none of my mates played or liked cricket. totally stopped playing and forgot about it.

when i got to college loads of guys were into cricket so i played with them, but the previous 4 or 5 years of not playing meant my skill levels retarted. i wasn't good enough to be in the team, so i gave up, and just forgot about every playing at any serious level.

WOOWW, MY STORY, exaactly my story!!! All the bold parts are exactly the same as my story...

The only difference is, i wasnt a bowler, i was a batsmen. Only time i used to play is once or twice every year in the odd pe lesson, that is if it doesnt get rained out, but i loved every second of the 40 minutes.

I started playing again more seriously after 5 years of no cricket, i went to a club, and had everyone laugh at me after the way i bowled (not even a single good ball :p) then went on to bat which i was more confident about, but never having played hard-ball cricket and barely any cricket at all for past 5 years, i kind of had lost anything and i looked at it and said: whats happened to me. I wasn't good enough to be in a team, but i didnt give up yet, ever since i started i have improve a mile, and i can see the improvement, still go training pretty much 3 times a week and working hard on improving. Last season i played some friendly games, and played in a friends team. This season i will probably play league games for my club.

I find it hard to ignore cricket, and i have no guts to give it up.

Always. What's worse is i had been away from cricket for around the last 2 years now, and if i have been playing regularly, i would have had a very good chance of playing for Kuwait in the U16 category. I shouldn't have stopped playing and at that time i could afford to miss school. Now that i'm back in touch with cricket, i have a decent chance at playing for the U19 category for Kuwait, but studies are the obstacle now.

Back