Why doesn't Mohammad Yousuf play for Pakistan anymore?

Bhaijaan

Hall of Famer
Runs
Post of the Week
PCB has ruined his career man, bring him back if he's fit enough.

He was class apart.

Because Umar Akmal , Shoaib Malik , Misbah , Farhat , Younus are more deserving candidates

I remember his hundred against us in 2007 ODI series (i mean the last kickass knock that i remember) , what classy batting. Effortless

You have deprived us international cricket fans of some real good batting from a master. I miss good old Moyo

last 1 or 2 years of his career , he has been poor with the bat

Wouldn't have gone in poor form if he wasn't dropped from side and treated in that manner yaar.

He didn't deserve this poor ending.
sadly he has only himself to blame.

Was in supreme form in 2006, then you let him go to ICL :facepalm:

First fault, then you failed to get him back, then you didn't handle him properly, then you threw him out. Mistake after mistake. That guy didn't deserve such treatment.

@Statsman - Na yaar i miss Moyo and Inzi everytime i are to watch Pakistan's batting. Being an Indian i love batting, that's all i watch.

Currentl;y i only like Umar Akmal and of course Afridi's batting in Pak team. Apart from that no matter who is watching at what score, i don't watch :Facepalm:

Bowling is anoher thing though, always good too see Pakistani bowlers. Sorry yar, watching your batting these days is a pain, almost as much as watching our bowling when it's bad.

Yousuf is indeed a class apart from this bits-and-pieces lot - Misbah probably comes close. And then there is daylight.

He was the last Pakistani great batsman :(

Didn't even get a proper farewell.

Given how classy he is against pacers, I wouldn't mind seeing him play a last series as an opener or a 1-down. A la Tendy.

Last edited:
He had a bad 2010.. 10 matches with scores of

2, 58, 11, 10, 8, 46, 16, 3, 20, 3

Unfortunatley it was bye bye,, aur revoir, allah hafiz after that...

No respect, no oppurtunity to hit 10k odi runs though he was about 300 short i think.

Should be given a farewell series against Bangladesh, all matches

Oh and of course because they wanted to it, Misbah and Farhat in there someway somehow along wwith Umar Akmal, Younis, Asad and others

Bad 2010?

Buddy compare that to Ponting's recent form. He is not out of the team.

When did fielding become a criteria for selection in Pakistan?

I think Razzler is still playing, he is no Jonty either.

he can still score runs

what a class he is judging by his stats and a little i have seen of him

those late late cuts..magnificent

Why is Yousaf being ignored for so long?

Surely Yousaf is needed in Test Cricket and ODI Cricket atleast. He was a better batsman in ODI's than Younis Khan, Younis is far to inconsistent in ODI's and has consistently failed against the major teams, an indepth analysis on his batting average will prove that.

Yousaf has been ignored for a year now and Misbah who is not even 30% of Yousaf's class has been prefered in all formats of the game when it is a known fact Misbah always bottles it on the big occasion. This is just inexcusable. Surely Yousaf deserves to be given a chance in the team.

Our batting has been pretty poor in both ODI's and Test Cricket and we need all the experience in the side. As a batsman he should be above Shoaib Malik atleast in the reckoning.

If Yousuf comes in, one of Misbah or Younis need to go. We cannot have three 35+ year olds in the ODI lineup.

InshaAllah they will give him a chance against England. The way our top order has been batting, it will be very difficult for them to score against a strong English attack.

As much as I want him back in the team, I don't think he will ever come back now. I think he has just taken some sort of "silent" retirement from the game.. :(

What class batsman he was :(

If Yousuf comes in, one of Misbah or Younis need to go. We cannot have three 35+ year olds in the ODI lineup.

Younis can make way for Yousaf in ODI's. The only value Younis adds to the ODI team is his fielding and catching. Yousaf not only has a better strike rate than YK in ODIs but was very good at picking the gaps, rotating the strike, granted his fielding suffered as his years advanced but his catching was always reliable.

I mean Misbah has been getting the runs this year in ODI's, however we need to re-access the way he makes these runs. His strike rate is BELOW 70. Is that really the way to go for a batsmen who plays at number 5? This is 2011 where anything below 80 is in excusable. Yousuf never had the problem of being bogged down as far as I remember.

Quite tragic how a quality player like Yousuf has been ignored for so long. Still a terrific ageless warrior. Stats are bling.

If we fail against England, Yousuf will be back. He MUST be in the test team in my opinion for this England series. His last series for a true legend.

Hafeez, Taufeeq, Ali, Younis, Yousuf, Misbah - that is one solid top 6!

What he's come out of retirement again?

What you've come from under your bed again. Yousuf never retired the last time if you read the articles properly. Some fake news was going around saying he has retired or was going to retire however he confirmed he hasn't retired YET! :)

Mohammed Yousuf's international career is finished. It is same as me asking Asim Kamal to make a comeback.

This is solely due to the age factor. Also, Mohammed Yousuf hasn't played any first class matches since June of this year and is not playing in the QEA trophy.

What you've come from under your bed again. Yousuf never retired the last time if you read the articles properly. Some fake news was going around saying he has retired or was going to retire however he confirmed he hasn't retired YET! :)

He has, he just doesn't know it yet. :)

He's 37 and seems to have lost interest in cricket (no show in domestics). He needs to make himself noticed at this stage of his career.

lol @ Misbah rant. He's doing fine at the moment.

Younis should be replaced by Shafiq in ODIs, and he shouldn't have ever been dropped from that side. Literally anyone can replace Malik.

Last edited:
MoYo was a legend but its time to move on i think

If he really wanted to come back, he would have started playing first class cricket and churned out some big runs and won his place back. He hasn't so I guess he even thinks its over.

Because he wants a spot in the team handed to him. Why doesn't he play domestic cricket?

Wish he'd be brought back into the test side.

1. Hafeez
2. Azhar
3. Younus
4. Yousuf
5. Misbah
6. Shafiq

Mohammad Yousuf is miles ahead of Younis Khan as an ODI player.

If I had my way I would have neither in the ODI team but if PCB wants to play oldies in ODIs then Yousuf with a 40 plus average is better odi player than YK in every aspect

even today Younis made like 30 off 70

Mohammad Yousuf is miles ahead of Younis Khan as an ODI player.

If I had my way I would have neither in the ODI team but if PCB wants to play oldies in ODIs then Yousuf with a 40 plus average is better odi player than YK in every aspect

even today Younis made like 30 off 70

do we have to pick between the two oldies? Both have done well in the past for their country, we are grateful for that but please no more ! Asad is the next replacement for Younis besides Yousaf is a HUGE liability in the field.

Yousaf was one hell of a classy batsman! Its very rare in Pakistan cricket for a player to end his career happily! Too sad!

The way our great cricketers go out of the international scene is just painful!

LOL at those wanting him to prove himself in domestic cricket.:)))

I mean, what?!?

I think he deserves a farewell voyage. Bring him back for an important test series - if he can pass the fitness test. The way India have been managing Tendy (minus the IPeeL). Give him the rest in between, and it will all end on a good note.

If Misbah's rebirth hasn't given us a lesson, I don't know what else will.

may be too late to ... he lost interest already .. no show at domestic .... to make some noise ... or to show intent to play . don't know what shape he is in .. recently .. there have been a huge gap since ... he last played... well its all to pcb & their stupidness .. that they couldn't resolve issues with players.. so they put all of them .. out ... they just like to have it there way .... if not performing is way to go out .. of team ... please someone inform pcb .. that wat moron shoiab malik is doing in this team still

LOL at those wanting him to prove himself in domestic cricket.:)))

I mean, what?!?

I think he deserves a farewell voyage. Bring him back for an important test series - if he can pass the fitness test. The way India have been managing Tendy (minus the IPeeL). Give him the rest in between, and it will all end on a good note.

If Misbah's rebirth hasn't given us a lesson, I don't know what else will.

It's not about proving himself as a batsman at the domestic level. He needs to show that he's serious about playing for Pakistan and needs to put aside his ego. What has he done since 2007?

He's a great player, no doubt about that. But does he have the desire to play for Pakistan? Why does he keep announcing his retirement every time he's taken out of the team?

He was a classs act. There is no comparisons, he was the best ODI batsman for Pakistan in the last decade. I guess it is too late now to get him in the team, he is a poor fielder and also poor form with the bat....... It's better to look ahead and give opportunities to youngsters and think about 2015 WC.

It's not about proving himself as a batsman at the domestic level. He needs to show that he's serious about playing for Pakistan and needs to put aside his ego. What has he done since 2007?

He's a great player, no doubt about that. But does he have the desire to play for Pakistan? Why does he keep announcing his retirement every time he's taken out of the team?
What has he done since 2007? Well, how about he helped us win our only test match last year in England after he was dragged out of retirement by none other than our own fans. He hasn't played on the flat pan wickets of UAE and against the likes of WI, Zimbos, and BD, and all of a sudden, he needs to prove his desire? Well, how about you give him the same run as you did to Misbah and Younis and then ask this question?

Five months ago, he played county cricket and scored runs (read: 100s) when everyone incl. Trott and Bell failed. I hope that's not news to you.

And when did he announce his retirement after returning to the team last year? I mean, hello, this is 2011. Some people here haven't changed their cassettes from four years ago.

His main issue is his fitness, which is why play him and then give him the rest that he needs. (Manage him like India manage Tendy.) When he is fresh - and not burdened with captaincy - he scores runs (SL in 2009, England in 2010, English county cricket in 2011).

In any case, this is more of a gesture of giving him a proper farewell (what was given to even a limping Akhtar). Perhaps bring him back as a batting coach, or make use of his services at the national academy. As of now, PCB is treating him as if he never existed in our history.

Legend deserves a farewell series against england.

Miss his effortless batting.

He made a century on a detoriated pitch in county recently as far as i remember !!
Definiatly desire is there!!

Retiring in Pakistan is an indirect way of applying pressure on PCB but sadly it didnt work for him.
It worked for Afridi tho :D

He is a must in tests.

What has he done since 2007? Well, how about he helped us win our only test match last year in England after he was dragged out of retirement by none other than our own fans. He hasn't played on the flat pan wickets of UAE and against the likes of WI, Zimbos, and BD, and all of a sudden, he needs to prove his desire? Well, how about you give him the same run as you did to Misbah and Younis and then ask this question?

Five months ago, he played county cricket and scored runs (read: 100s) when everyone incl. Trott and Bell failed. I hope that's not news to you.

And when did he announce his retirement after returning to the team last year? I mean, hello, this is 2011. Some people here haven't changed their cassettes from four years ago.

His main issue is his fitness, which is why play him and then give him the rest that he needs. (Manage him like India manage Tendy.) When he is fresh - and not burdened with captaincy - he scores runs (SL in 2009, England in 2010, English county cricket in 2011).

In any case, this is more of a gesture of giving him a proper farewell (what was given to even a limping Akhtar). Perhaps bring him back as a batting coach, or make use of his services at the national academy. As of now, PCB is treating him as if he never existed in our history.

Potw :moyo
:14::14::14:

Bismillah Ir-Rahman Ir-Rahim, first of all thanks to Allah (SWT) for giving me opportunity to speak and credit goes to freelance_cricketer for making this thread. :)

Mohammed Yousuf's international career is finished. It is same as me asking Asim Kamal to make a comeback.

This is solely due to the age factor. Also, Mohammed Yousuf hasn't played any first class matches since June of this year and is not playing in the QEA trophy.

Well career is not really finished, it was forcefully finished.

Well if you are saying age is 'solely' factor then I would say Misbah Ul Haq deserves to be dropped as well, no? :)

Misbah Ul Haq is also 37, in fact, Misbah is 91 days older than Mohammad Yousuf :).

So should Misbah Ul Haq be dropped from the side as well?

Because he wants a spot in the team handed to him. Why doesn't he play domestic cricket?

Top post Ironcat!! :14:

To further add to your post...

In Warwickshire's last five First Class innings he has an average of 40.8 with a century on a pitch which was very difficult to bat on where likes of Trott and Bell also failed. The pitch curator was under pressure for creating a pitch like that too!(Scorecard:http://www.espncricinfo.com/county-cricket-2011/content/story/514671.html) :)

And also played match winning knock to lead his team to victory in Clydesdale Bank 40 as well.

So his county stint was quite successful in terms of performance and it was well above average county performance for a Pakistani standard player. If I am not mistaken his county performances were better than any player's performance of 2010 Tour of England.

Tell me how was it justified for selectors to drop a player who had impressive County Stint and had a good average and everything was done, so what was really the reason for dropping him? Before you say fitness, think about this - If he had a successful and injury free (pretty sure he did) county stint in 2011 summer then obviously his body was fit enough which carried him and allowed him to play all games, no?

Fitness NIL

Form NIL

Not playing QA trophy. He want PCB to informs him the reasons of his exclusion from the side.

And people still want him in ODIs and Tests :facepalm:

I'd like him to play in tests but that's it i guess
his odi form has nosedived

I'd like him to play in tests but that's it i guess
his odi form has nosedived

If i find the person from PCB who isn't including Yousaf purposely I will slap him in front of everyone for sure, is it how you treat our Legends ?

TOP post Ironcat.

People who have no clue what else to say resort to the "ego" card :))) as if none of Pakistan's other players have ever misbehaved. Yousuf is probably the most mistreated player in Pakistan history (Younus is the other candidate).

Nothing short of a joke that we can overlook everything and (rightfully) give Shoaib Akhtar a stint but we can't even remotely respect Yousuf

Btw I don't feel the side bonafide needs Yousuf but he's an improvement on a few of the others

Last edited:
I think its all over for Yousuf. If his fitness and fielding levels were'nt autrocious then he might stand a chance given his age.

Can't seet it happening though.

:AR15firin

After seeing so many collapses of Pakistan in recently concluded SL tour you can safely say we need Yousaf in ODI's & in Tests too he is required.

I don't know why this injustice being done to yousaf........seems like he has no connections with political parties...it is sad to see that the likes of shaoib malik, imran farhat, and sohail tanvir picked ahead in front of the legend.......He would have scored tons of runs on these flat pitches.......

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know why this injustice being done to yousaf........seems like he has no connections with political parties...it is sad to see that the likes of shaoib mirza, imran fart head, and sohail tanvir baji picked ahead in front of the legend.......He would have scored tons of runs on these flat pitches.......

:(

Surely Yousaf is needed in Test Cricket and ODI Cricket atleast. He was a better batsman in ODI's than Younis Khan, Younis is far to inconsistent in ODI's and has consistently failed against the major teams, an indepth analysis on his batting average will prove that.

Yousaf has been ignored for a year now and Misbah who is not even 30% of Yousaf's class has been prefered in all formats of the game when it is a known fact Misbah always bottles it on the big occasion. This is just inexcusable. Surely Yousaf deserves to be given a chance in the team.

Our batting has been pretty poor in both ODI's and Test Cricket and we need all the experience in the side. As a batsman he should be above Shoaib Malik atleast in the reckoning.

What rubbish

complete lack of knowledge

we have posted totals of 340 or more in 9/13 test innings

only been bowled out once out in the 2nd innings in the last 10 tests

average innings duration has increased from 70 overs in the 9 tests pre Misbah to well over 120 overs since he has taken over

only lost 13 out of 20 wickets on average in the last 10 tests

Declared the innings twice this year alone

have a player who was awarded overseas test cricketer of the year

have a player who was a nominee for emerging player of the year

have a settled opening pair who have been unchanged for 10 tests

have 2 batsmen in the top 5 averages of all time from Pakistan still playing

we have the 2nd highest average and balls per dismissal in the last 15 months

http://www.espncricinfo.com/magazine/content/story/539958.html

one of the most solid and dependable batting line ups in test cricket going

Last edited:
I don't mind him in the Test squad but I doubt we will see him again for national colours.

Back