Why doesn't Mohammad Yousuf play for Pakistan anymore?

Unfortunately his performances for the last 3 years havent been upto scratch! His attitude is poor and with his age going back to him is a step back

Think we ve seen the last of him

For all those who are saying about his performance.

He's better then Malik & Farhat & Younus in ODI's.

Because he wants a spot in the team handed to him. Why doesn't he play domestic cricket?

Exactly. i think i am right in my understanding that, contrary to what is written above, the oath taking was against him....not that he was part of any oath taking.

i met ramiz raja last year during the eng/pak tour and asked him then why mo yo wasnt in the team and his reply was that mentally he is just shot at the moment. i think it could be seen from the many things emerging from the media, like his refusal to play domestic cricket and prior to that his run ins with naseem ashraf.

I think while there is no doubt that he is a class batsman and that he has the talent to come back, the question is over his mental preparedness and whether he can work in this current team who seem to have developed a team ethic and do gel together well. there are certainly less talented people than him in the team but it is clear that all of them work on their fitness and their game and hence the bench strength is so strong.

we are missing him big time, i cant believe the likes of Malik and Farhat are playing in our team..disgrace..what a legend MoYo was...

guys SERIOUSLY MOVE ON, he's 37 we just cant afford any more oldies in the team. He has done well in the past like i said before, all the respect to him but seriously it is time to move on !

Rather bring in Fawad Alam or Shafiq who is still not getting a chance when he hasnt done anything wrong. Moyo move will be a backward one besides he is just a MASSIVE liabilty in the field.

we are missing him big time, i cant believe the likes of Malik and Farhat are playing in our team..disgrace..what a legend MoYo was...

The likes of Malik and Farhat are also playing domestic, they have every right to be in the team ahead of this arrogant has-been.

A great shame that things seem to have ended the way they have. In my poor opinion, one of the finest batsmen we have seen from Pakistan.

his obsession with cracking the t20 format ruined the end part of his career

@PP boses: How is Moyo doing? What is he upto these days? Any chance of a return?

Moyo had chance of becoming the next Misbah but he blew his chance with senseless captaincy (and also got unlucky due to Kamran Akmal). Then his outburst against players didn't help (I think it was against Shoaib Malik).

Even if he is a decent team-player, he gave a very negative opinion about himself after the Australia saga.

I may be wrong but Moyo ain't intelligent (as in IQ). He may be a great batsman and Alhamdolillah an obedient muslim but he doesn't have it in him to be a Captain nor could he showcase a strong personality on field.

Last edited:
A great shame that things seem to have ended the way they have. In my poor opinion, one of the finest batsmen we have seen from Pakistan.

Completely agreed mate.

Still a better batsman even at this age than most of the jokers playing for Pakistan! In ODIs, only Umar is a better bet than Yousuf; in Tests, perhaps only YK.

Its a crying shame that Yousuf doesn't play for us any longer; I fear we'd miss him a LOT in the England series.

Actually, we have missed him all of this past year; the Mohali defeat, the go-slow in Tests vs. New Zealand and Sri Lanka etc would not have happened had we been playing with a proper batsmen such as Yousuf in the side. As it is, we had a collection of gritty, hard-working but very limited players such as Misbah, YK (in ODIs) and Azhar (in Tests); they did their best and kudos to them, but their best is nowhere near Yousuf's best.

The likes of Malik and Farhat are also playing domestic, they have every right to be in the team ahead of this arrogant has-been.

Standards of IQ and maturity among posters here have really slipped, evidently. :)

Because he wants a spot in the team handed to him. Why doesn't he play domestic cricket?

Because most Test players the world over don't play domestic cricket! :))

Domestic cricket is essential for two types of people:

(i) young up-and-coming players, who need to prove their mettle, develop their game and get selected; and

(ii) players who never-were good enough to make the leap to the next level.

For all others, its just a nice-to-have or an additional source of some minor income, or a hobby.

Yousuf obviously doesn't fit either of those categories above, so why does he need to waste his time against pop-gun attacks when he should be out there playing for Pakistan?

Its a travesty that jokers like Shoaib Mirza and Imran Farhat get selected ahead of Yousuf. In ODIs, its a travesty that YK plays ahead of him.

--------

If any proof of Yousuf's class and ability was needed (and none was), we had more than ample proof this summer. When people like Shoaib Mirza were gallivanting all over the planet like lafangas, Yousuf was proving himself yet again at Warwickshire, in the leading domestic cricket competition of the world - not some Mickey Mouse Cup in Pakistan.

Are we seriously suggesting that cricket in the County Championship Division One, the world's premier first-class competition that has been around for over 120 years, is of a lower standard than the meaningless, pointless and trivial drivel served up on the Pakistani domestic scene?

Doesn't scoring a flawless hundred on a minefield of a track, on a pitch so difficult for batting it was deemed 'unsuitable for cricket' constitute proving oneself? [Link and Scorecard]

Yousuf, defying a treacherous pitch quite unsuited for this level of cricket, gave a masterful demonstration of batting to record the 30th century of his first-class career. So fine an innings was this that Ashley Giles, hardly one prone to hyperbole, described it as "the best I've seen in difficult conditions." It was, in Giles' words "proper class."

Warwickshire may come to be very grateful for Yousuf's contribution. Not only did he make these runs in adversity, but they may have saved the club from a penalty far greater than a difficult match situation.

This game is taking place on a poor pitch. Form the second ball of the day, when Varun Chopra was struck a painful blow on the thumb, balls reared and scuttled in treacherous fashion and batsmen sustained numerous blows on the hands and body. [...]

But Yousuf somehow managed to tame it. He took some blows and, once or twice, he was almost decapitated by deliveries that grew on him like a menacing wave, but generally he subjugated the opposition and the conditions in a quite brilliant way.

How? Well, he watched the ball hawkishly, played as late and as straight as was possible and, by remaining admirably compact, was able to drop his hands or duck his head at the last moment. While other batsmen were drawn into strokes, Yousuf spurned commitment in a manner that would have done Mick Jagger proud. [...]

In-between times, Yousuf played some majestic strokes. His driving has always been sublime, of course, but this innings was also laced with some powerful pulls, some deft flicks off the legs and a lofted straight six off the ineffective Shaaiq Choudhry.

Not bad at all for a has-been, is it? :))

--------

Even if Yousuf is well and truly past it... better a 'has-been' than a 'never-were and a never-will-be'. And even if he is well and truly past it, to disparage not just his ability and achievements but his person through these ad hominem attacks* and this pitiful bile is rather pathetic.

--------

I'm all for building for the future and looking to high-potential younger, fitter and sensible players who can hopefully serve Pakistan cricket with distinction for the next 10 years, guys like Umar Akmal, Azhar Ali and Asad Shafiq. But this process of replacement needs to be done properly and sensibly, not through the ham-fisted, haphazard and U-turn prone methodology favoured by the dim-witted and short-sighted Neanderthals running the PCB.

Umar Akmal is our best batting prospect since Yousuf himself started 15 years ago - yet every time he goes out there to bat, we place all the burden, all the responsibility and later on, all the blame on him! Indian batting prodigies such as Kohli, Sharma and even Raina have had the likes of SRT, Dravid, Laxman, Sehwag, Yuvraj, Gambhir and Dhoni to learn from, and to play with, in various forms - hence, the youngsters have developed because all the burden of saving and/or winning the match is not on them.

On the other hand, for us - in ODIs and T20s, our batting strategy is simple: its Umar Akmal or bust. Most of the rest are very limited batsmen indeed. If he fails, as a youngster is bound to, more often than not, given all the pressure - we don't blame the other idiots, but instead tell him off for daring to score 90 odd at run-a-ball! And in Tests, we have actually dropped our best batsmen! Only in Pakistan!

Instead, we should have blooded Umar with proper, quality, senior players - and should still do so. Umar's batting when he played with Yousuf in the side, and especially with Yousuf at the other end, was at a different level - the same would be the case for other, lesser talents such as Azhar and Asad. These kids need a quality senior bat, to take pressure, to take responsibility, and to actually score some bloody runs and not just waste balls: YK, Mirza or Farhat are not it. And Misbah, for all his many qualities, is not it either.

--------

Having said all that....

Even allowing for the PCB's routine ineptitude and misguided cussedness, reasonable people could quite legitimately disagree on whether Yousuf's class and undoubted skill still merits a place in the side, or if, in the interests of looking to the future and building a team that will challenge five years hence, we should bid him farewell with our heartfelt gratitude and best wishes for his future.

In fact, I personally am not wholly persuaded by the former view; Yousuf's role in mentoring and coaching younger players would undoubtedly be a big plus if he's recalled, but there could well be downsides to it too.

However, call me old-fashioned, but I don't see why building for the future should involve destroying all that has been built by former greats, or negating their achievements in the manner done by some* here.

--------

* [such as the likes of 'Desi_Joker' are wont to do - and a more apt username for a poster is hard to imagine!]

Last edited:
@PP boses: How is Moyo doing? What is he upto these days? Any chance of a return?

One of my friend had a conversation with Mohammad Yousuf 2days ago, he is back to Raiwind from Gujranwala after spending 10 days (ashra) in Tableegh

It's horrible. We don't honor good players and we wonder why they don't turn into legends.

It was a brilliant post SheryarK! It deserves POTW.

I mean I can' t agree more on everything written about Moyo and Akmal.

Because most Test players the world over don't play domestic cricket! :))

Domestic cricket is essential for two types of people:

(i) young up-and-coming players, who need to prove their mettle, develop their game and get selected; and

(ii) players who never-were good enough to make the leap to the next level.

For all others, its just a nice-to-have or an additional source of some minor income, or a hobby.

Yousuf obviously doesn't fit either of those categories above, so why does he need to waste his time against pop-gun attacks when he should be out there playing for Pakistan?

Its a travesty that jokers like Shoaib Mirza and Imran Farhat get selected ahead of Yousuf. In ODIs, its a travesty that YK plays ahead of him.

--------

If any proof of Yousuf's class and ability was needed (and none was), we had more than ample proof this summer. When people like Shoaib Mirza were gallivanting all over the planet like lafangas, Yousuf was proving himself yet again at Warwickshire, in the leading domestic cricket competition of the world - not some Mickey Mouse Cup in Pakistan.

Are we seriously suggesting that cricket in the County Championship Division One, the world's premier first-class competition that has been around for over 120 years, is of a lower standard than the meaningless, pointless and trivial drivel served up on the Pakistani domestic scene?

Doesn't scoring a flawless hundred on a minefield of a track, on a pitch so difficult for batting it was deemed 'unsuitable for cricket' constitute proving oneself? [Link and Scorecard]

Yousuf, defying a treacherous pitch quite unsuited for this level of cricket, gave a masterful demonstration of batting to record the 30th century of his first-class career. So fine an innings was this that Ashley Giles, hardly one prone to hyperbole, described it as "the best I've seen in difficult conditions." It was, in Giles' words "proper class."

Warwickshire may come to be very grateful for Yousuf's contribution. Not only did he make these runs in adversity, but they may have saved the club from a penalty far greater than a difficult match situation.

This game is taking place on a poor pitch. Form the second ball of the day, when Varun Chopra was struck a painful blow on the thumb, balls reared and scuttled in treacherous fashion and batsmen sustained numerous blows on the hands and body. [...]

But Yousuf somehow managed to tame it. He took some blows and, once or twice, he was almost decapitated by deliveries that grew on him like a menacing wave, but generally he subjugated the opposition and the conditions in a quite brilliant way.

How? Well, he watched the ball hawkishly, played as late and as straight as was possible and, by remaining admirably compact, was able to drop his hands or duck his head at the last moment. While other batsmen were drawn into strokes, Yousuf spurned commitment in a manner that would have done Mick Jagger proud. [...]

In-between times, Yousuf played some majestic strokes. His driving has always been sublime, of course, but this innings was also laced with some powerful pulls, some deft flicks off the legs and a lofted straight six off the ineffective Shaaiq Choudhry.

Not bad at all for a has-been, is it? :))

--------

Even if Yousuf is well and truly past it... better a 'has-been' than a 'never-were and a never-will-be'. And even if he is well and truly past it, to disparage not just his ability and achievements but his person through these ad hominem attacks* and this pitiful bile is rather pathetic.

--------

I'm all for building for the future and looking to high-potential younger, fitter and sensible players who can hopefully serve Pakistan cricket with distinction for the next 10 years, guys like Umar Akmal, Azhar Ali and Asad Shafiq. But this process of replacement needs to be done properly and sensibly, not through the ham-fisted, haphazard and U-turn prone methodology favoured by the dim-witted and short-sighted Neanderthals running the PCB.

Umar Akmal is our best batting prospect since Yousuf himself started 15 years ago - yet every time he goes out there to bat, we place all the burden, all the responsibility and later on, all the blame on him! Indian batting prodigies such as Kohli, Sharma and even Raina have had the likes of SRT, Dravid, Laxman, Sehwag, Yuvraj, Gambhir and Dhoni to learn from, and to play with, in various forms - hence, the youngsters have developed because all the burden of saving and/or winning the match is not on them.

On the other hand, for us - in ODIs and T20s, our batting strategy is simple: its Umar Akmal or bust. Most of the rest are very limited batsmen indeed. If he fails, as a youngster is bound to, more often than not, given all the pressure - we don't blame the other idiots, but instead tell him off for daring to score 90 odd at run-a-ball! And in Tests, we have actually dropped our best batsmen! Only in Pakistan!

Instead, we should have blooded Umar with proper, quality, senior players - and should still do so. Umar's batting when he played with Yousuf in the side, and especially with Yousuf at the other end, was at a different level - the same would be the case for other, lesser talents such as Azhar and Asad. These kids need a quality senior bat, to take pressure, to take responsibility, and to actually score some bloody runs and not just waste balls: YK, Mirza or Farhat are not it. And Misbah, for all his many qualities, is not it either.

--------

Having said all that....

Even allowing for the PCB's routine ineptitude and misguided cussedness, reasonable people could quite legitimately disagree on whether Yousuf's class and undoubted skill still merits a place in the side, or if, in the interests of looking to the future and building a team that will challenge five years hence, we should bid him farewell with our heartfelt gratitude and best wishes for his future.

In fact, I personally am not wholly persuaded by the former view; Yousuf's role in mentoring and coaching younger players would undoubtedly be a big plus if he's recalled, but there could well be downsides to it too.

However, call me old-fashioned, but I don't see why building for the future should involve destroying all that has been built by former greats, or negating their achievements in the manner done by some* here.

--------

* [such as the likes of 'Desi_Joker' are wont to do - and a more apt username for a poster is hard to imagine!]
Top post man, Everyone is saying Kohli is makin centuries & Akmal isn't its bcz the guidance is not right if Yousaf will be in the team he can guide youngster to build an innings & how to finish it.

Trust me if Akmal would have been in India side he would have scored 12 centuries in LOIs already.

Last edited:
Someone from PP needs to get into Zaka Ashraf's ear on this and recommend him to give Yousaf a proper chance before its too late. If Yousaf feels he is completely unwanted for a few more months, he just might throw the towel in and hence Pakistani Cricket will be the loser in the long run. I still believe Inzamam left the scene atleast 2 years earlier than he needed too but atleast in his case the decision was probably made easier by the presence of YK and Yousaf in the side.

Most classy player ever. i would definitely like to see him play in test series against ENG.
these kinda players should be retain in the squad to help out the younger lot with their exp and thier ability to single handly win the matches for their team........

I would love to see this line up with our cuurent squad

Hafeez
Taufeeq
Azar
Younis
Yousuf
Misbah
Adnan
gul
Riaz
Ajmal
Cheema/Juniiii

Someone from PP needs to get into Zaka Ashraf's ear on this and recommend him to give Yousaf a proper chance before its too late. If Yousaf feels he is completely unwanted for a few more months, he just might throw the towel in and hence Pakistani Cricket will be the loser in the long run.

very disappointed to see you write this. Sounds so much like a safarish. PCB have policies and selection committee in place now. However weak or problematic, at least its a step towards international standards that we should all respect. Just look at the example of England (graham thorpe) or Australia (steve waugh and simon Katich) great players who had to stomach early and indignant send offs. It happens often that great players are cast aside and its up to them to work their way back in the team if they have the desire with putting pressure on the board officials.

I think its quite clear what yousuf, even thought the best player in the current set up has to do. he has to play domestic cricket, prove his stamina and attitude are up for a challenge and be a good role model to younger players. Surely we will all respect and appreciate yousuf more if instead of using networks, he just adheres to the demands of the selection committee and just plays normal cricket with his mouth shut and sets a good example to younger players about following protocal and due process.

Last edited by a moderator:
simple prejudice thats why..he was a ghareeb from a poor family who made it through Gods grace and hard work..he took a stand against prejudice and paid for it..a true legend and one of our greatest batsman..his journey would make a great film/biography! but he had to put up with parchi's and enlightened moderates who wanted to see the pak team watch bollywood instead of pray namaaz like namaaz was haram or something!!

he'll probably get a job in england since they respect our players more than we do!

oh and sheri k's post was legendary!! agree with every word!

Last edited:
Mohd Yousaf is perhaps the most talented batsman Pakistan has produced in the last few years but he acts as DIVA. He has turned his back on Pakistan cricket many time. He is always whining about pitty issues. I for one am very happy he is not in the team.

Mohd Yousaf is perhaps the most talented batsman Pakistan has produced in the last few years but he acts as DIVA. He has turned his back on Pakistan cricket many time. He is always whining about pitty issues. I for one am very happy he is not in the team.

lo and behold we have another ignoramus amongst us..probably started watching cricket 5 years ago!

lo and behold we have another ignoramus amongst us..probably started watching cricket 5 years ago!

sorry but this is a very childish and response. the post by sharyark is good but just one little foot note to it is that as far as i can tell yousuf only played 6 matches with warwickshire and his average was only 32

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/warwi...ge.html?class=4;id=2011;team=1479;type=season

I think all these matches took place in quick succession in late may early June, since then what cricket has he played? Indeed the standard of domestic cricket in pakistan is poor but he could have played some cricket any cricket and it would be a blessing to have him in domestic tournaments for the twin benenfits of proving he has the desire to carry on and secondly, how great would it be for him to play alongside young talent who could surely benefit from his skill.

lots of indian players, Dravid etc play Ranji, lots of English players play county cricket..i dont think it should be above yousuf to play something...anything. the fact that he is away on tableegh is great for him and the after life but sadly he is not playing cricket so its unfair on selection policy and current players who although less talented are atleast being professional in their approach to selection.

it really sets a bad example for players to act as prima donna's the experiences of the past should alert us to its pitfalls.

no I'd rather just let you attempt to formulate a decent argument. thats more amusing!

There are already plenty of arguments in this thread, the key one being that if a player wants to get into the team, he should have to earn that by playing domestic cricket and winning his place.

I agree there may be examples of players not earning their way back into the side, but 2 wrongs don't make a right.

Fans' under-appreciation of Mohammed Yousuf is a tragedy!

Fantastic post above from SK, and many other good ones too.

Nowhere in my post did I discredit Moyo's amazing career. The run he had in 2006 was just a proof of how we was head and shoulders above everybody else in the team.

What happened to him is what has happened to many a Pakistani cricketers in the past: he got screwed by the PCB.

Now, the others have had the discipline and the willpower to come back from this (i.e: Shoaib Akhtar, Younis Khan) but Yousuf never really made an effort. In fact, compared to those two men, Yousuf recieved VIP treatment from the PCB. Immediate return to the team with a healthy signing bonus.

He just expected things to be handed on a platter to him simply because of his seniority, experience and talent. (And there's no doubt in my mind that he lacked absolutely none of the latter)

When asked to take a fitness test for a first class team (Wapda, I think it was), he decides to throw a fit and join some other division 2 team instead of just taking the test (Because it would've been a stain on his pride to take a fitness test? :13:)

If that's not arrogance, I don't know what is.

Contrary to the belief of some, I don't loathe Yousuf at all. He was a great cricketer and some of the knocks in the latter part of his career were a great reminder of the talent that was Mohammad Yousuf (i.e: That Champions Trophy 100 vs. India & That Warwickshire knock), but even God only helps those who help themselves.

Yousuf was too proud of his past achievement to help his own cause in the present time and wasted a good 2-3 years of his cricketing career simply due to his arrogance.

I'm afraid it's simply too late for him to make a comeback now. He was really struggling with fitness problems last year and I doubt that would have improved at all.

If only somebody had sat him down 2-3 years ago and told him to make the most of what he had left, instead of trying to play politics and the sifarish card to get back in the team... Only Farhat can cash in that card succesfully. :)

Last edited:
Completely agreed mate.

Still a better batsman even at this age than most of the jokers playing for Pakistan! In ODIs, only Umar is a better bet than Yousuf; in Tests, perhaps only YK.

Its a crying shame that Yousuf doesn't play for us any longer; I fear we'd miss him a LOT in the England series.

Actually, we have missed him all of this past year; the Mohali defeat, the go-slow in Tests vs. New Zealand and Sri Lanka etc would not have happened had we been playing with a proper batsmen such as Yousuf in the side. As it is, we had a collection of gritty, hard-working but very limited players such as Misbah, YK (in ODIs) and Azhar (in Tests); they did their best and kudos to them, but their best is nowhere near Yousuf's best.

this. completely agree with it!

There are already plenty of arguments in this thread, the key one being that if a player wants to get into the team, he should have to earn that by playing domestic cricket and winning his place.

I agree there may be examples of players not earning their way back into the side, but 2 wrongs don't make a right.
You mean Tendy, Ponting, and Kallis need to earn their places through domestic cricket? There is a joke in there somewhere.

Top post man, Everyone is saying Kohli is makin centuries & Akmal isn't its bcz the guidance is not right if Yousaf will be in the team he can guide youngster to build an innings & how to finish it.

Trust me if Akmal would have been in India side he would have scored 12 centuries in LOIs already.

I would add that during England Tour of 2010 I recall Azhar Ali saying that Mohammad Yousuf presence in the middle made a lot of difference.

Also when Umar Akmal made his test debut it was under Mohammad Yousuf and Umar Akmal was in his prime form at that time and was scoring very well and was being guided like the ways of Mohammad Yousuf.

simple prejudice thats why..he was a ghareeb from a poor family who made it through Gods grace and hard work..he took a stand against prejudice and paid for it..a true legend and one of our greatest batsman..his journey would make a great film/biography! but he had to put up with parchi's and enlightened moderates who wanted to see the pak team watch bollywood instead of pray namaaz like namaaz was haram or something!!

he'll probably get a job in england since they respect our players more than we do!

oh and sheri k's post was legendary!! agree with every word!

Indeed.

His father would be sweeper at Lahore Railway Station, he (Yousuf) would often drive his brothers Rickshaw and if he wasn't in cricket then he would have been a darzi

because we have morons like malik and farhat playing for us

This.

Unfortunately parchi / buttering / shoe polishing / balls lifting whatever-you-name-it culture deprived many of the deserving in the cricketers in the past and in present a spot in team. This will continue to happen and we will suffer until our mindset changes and we seek to put Pakistan first instead of forwarding our own personal agenda. Malik and Farhat are in the team because one has political backup and other has father in law who is a selector. Poor Yousuf dont have such back up or maybe he lost his people who would have backed him up in a bigger scheme of things.

I would add that during England Tour of 2010 I recall Azhar Ali saying that Mohammad Yousuf presence in the middle made a lot of difference.

Also when Umar Akmal made his test debut it was under Mohammad Yousuf and Umar Akmal was in his prime form at that time and was scoring very well and was being guided like the ways of Mohammad Yousuf.

This is a great point that many people seem to forget. Mohammad Yousuf made other batsmen around him better. Especially the youngsters. My goodness its painful to think how they have wasted him after that epic year. Sad.

We really need this man in the batting line up. Its worrying what world class bowlers like Swann will do to this line-up if a minnow like Bangladesh can have such a stranglehold.

You mean Tendy, Ponting, and Kallis need to earn their places through domestic cricket? There is a joke in there somewhere.

no clearly not because they are already playing international cricket. a better example is that of simon Katich, forced out early again and again but still he tries to succeed through playing sheffield shield. i dont know what cricket is on the calendar but yousuf may try to get involved in some league somewhere. its his fitness and attitude at a ripe age that are being question not his immense skill.

LOL. Simon Katich, Australia's version of Misbah, is now being compared to Yousuf? :))

no clearly not because they are already playing international cricket. a better example is that of simon Katich, forced out early again and again but still he tries to succeed through playing sheffield shield. i dont know what cricket is on the calendar but yousuf may try to get involved in some league somewhere. its his fitness and attitude at a ripe age that are being question not his immense skill.
Clearly, you had to spend a few hours to come up with that kind of example. Simon who?

Yousuf was playing international cricket till last year when he was sidelined. He played county cricket in the summer and did better than the likes of Trott and Bell. Only an idiot would ask your best batsman to go play domestic cricket to "earn his place back".

Yousef Is class but should be playg domestic cricket so he keeps in touch with his game

and there you lost all credibility..Yousuf himself proved you wrong..came off a plane after playing almost no domestic cricket, comes into one of the worst pak sides in a decade and helps them win against one of the best england sides of the last 20 years!! that my friend is how legends are made!

the mere fact that so many phuppay kutnay paaak phans cant appreciate it is beyond pathetic!

As a non Pakistani, i feel Pakistanis don't give enough credit and respect to Mohammad Yousuf.
I would have surely traveled to Dubai if he was playing.
I have stayed awake all night just to see him and Saeed Anwar play.
No one even comes close to him in the current team.
Hopefully he will play some county games this year so i can see his silky smooth drives.
A legend who is treated like just another player in his country.
If he was English he would be Sir Mohammad Yousuf.
We miss you Sir.

As a non Pakistani, i feel Pakistanis don't give enough credit and respect to Mohammad Yousuf.
Hopefully he will play some county games this year so i can see his silky smooth drives.
We miss you Sir.

There is no doubt about it mate.

Was in supreme form in 2006, then you let him go to ICL :facepalm:

First fault, then you failed to get him back, then you didn't handle him properly, then you threw him out. Mistake after mistake. That guy didn't deserve such treatment.

there are 100 MoYos sitting outside on the streets, but, the parchi system stops them from entering the arena,

We miss you Sir.

he burst on the scene, when Inzi was the main star, hence always styed in the background for us. Then Younis came on board, and we flet both Ys were n the same boat. One of my Indian friends went from US to India to watch Bangalore test in 2005 between Pak and India. He actually wanted to watch Sehwag bat on the first day. It tunred out that Pak won the toss, and opted to bat, that day Inzi and Younis both ahmmered India. Inzi made 180 odd and Younis scored a double ton. When my friend came back and I aksed him how it felt watching those two innings, he said that both players were gulf apart, when Inzi was on strike it felt like an effortless player, just shuffling smoothly and setting up his radar and hitting the ball with an eye-catching stroke. ON the other hand Younis felt very painful to the eye, with every part of his body moving in different directions as if he was restless. That day my INdian frined declared that INzi was a much bigger payer than Younis and Yousuf

lots of players around the world get treated harshly by their boards when they go through a rebuilding phase. its up to Moyo to try to force his way back into the team. From what i can see he only played a handful of matches for Warwickshire in May last year then pulled out of other competitions and played nothing since. shame to see him go this way though, hope he performs for Leicester and is back in the reckoning.

[MENTION=131701]Mamoon[/MENTION] can you post in this thread about what happened to Yousuf after 2007? Having read some of the comments here it seems PCB ruined his career?

[MENTION=131701]Mamoon[/MENTION] can you post in this thread about what happened to Yousuf after 2007? Having read some of the comments here it seems PCB ruined his career?

I believe he wasn't selected for the first World T20 so he went in the huff and joined the ICL despite knowing it would get him banned by the PCB. After that although he returned to the PCB fold things never really improved for MoYo for one reason or another. He also lost a lot of international playing time in 2007-2009 due to the ICL legal issues.

After his incredible 2006/2007 he really should have pushed on and cemented his place as an ATG however the ICL happened....

I believe he wasn't selected for the first World T20 so he went in the huff and joined the ICL despite knowing it would get him banned by the PCB. After that although he returned to the PCB fold things never really improved for MoYo for one reason or another. He also lost a lot of international playing time in 2007-2009 due to the ICL legal issues.

After his incredible 2006/2007 he really should have pushed on and cemented his place as an ATG however the ICL happened....

So basically one of the most talented batsman ever from Pakistan at the peak of his form was let go by PCB to join ICL?? And then wasted next 2 of his peak years in legal struggles? No wonder he sounds bitter on TV now..

So basically one of the most talented batsman ever from Pakistan at the peak of his form was let go by PCB to join ICL?? And then wasted next 2 of his peak years in legal struggles? No wonder he sounds bitter on TV now..

What Gabbar Singh said. He shouldn't have been dropped for the WT20 but he shouldn't have sulked after it either. Following our revolutionary Chief Selector to the ICL was a career suicide. He missed a few golden years and the damage done to his relationship with the PCB was beyond repair. He did make a few comebacks after that, but it was clear that he was on borrowed time and the PCB were keen to get rid of him at first opportunity.

Last edited by a moderator:
What Gabbar Singh said. He shouldn't have been dropped for the WT20 but he shouldn't have sulked after it either. Following his tableeghi brother (who is now our revolutionary Chief Selector) to the ICL was a career suicide. He missed a few golden years and the damage done to his relationship with the PCB was beyond repair. He did make a few comebacks after that, but it was clear that he was on borrowed time and the PCB were keen to get rid of him at first opportunity.

Dropping him from the T20 squad in 2007 was the right decision. Yousuf has a poor record in T20s and his overall fitness and fielding was fairly poor. India dropped Tendulkar, Ganguly and Dravid from their squads too. The bigger travesty was dropping Razzaq which was probably a blunder in hindsight.

Yousuf joined ICL because he went undrafted in the IPL. That was his ego getting in the way. In fact, his career nosedived because of his own ego. When he did make a comeback he chose to take an oath against his own captain because he knew he was next in line. Then came his brief captaincy stint where he publicly criticized some of his own players (Fawad & Khurram) was another example of megalomania by Yousuf.

If PCB wanted to get rid of Yousuf they wouldn't have made him captain. He was such a poor captain on an off the field that the PCB had no option but to replace him with Afridi of all people in tests.

The biggest problem with Yousuf has always been his self-importance and ego. He has never taken responsibility for his own actions and always attempts to pass the blame. Even today he sits on TV and collects money to bash Misbah because of his one-sided personal grudges.

Dropping him from the T20 squad in 2007 was the right decision. Yousuf has a poor record in T20s and his overall fitness and fielding was fairly poor. India dropped Tendulkar, Ganguly and Dravid from their squads too. The bigger travesty was dropping Razzaq which was probably a blunder in hindsight.

Yousuf joined ICL because he went undrafted in the IPL. That was his ego getting in the way. In fact, his career nosedived because of his own ego. When he did make a comeback he chose to take an oath against his own captain because he knew he was next in line. Then came his brief captaincy stint where he publicly criticized some of his own players (Fawad & Khurram) was another example of megalomania by Yousuf.

If PCB wanted to get rid of Yousuf they wouldn't have made him captain. He was such a poor captain on an off the field that the PCB had no option but to replace him with Afridi of all people in tests.

The biggest problem with Yousuf has always been his self-importance and ego. He has never taken responsibility for his own actions and always attempts to pass the blame. Even today he sits on TV and collects money to bash Misbah because of his one-sided personal grudges.

While I agree with you that the biggest problem was his ego, I have to disagree on some other points that you raised. T20 cricket in 2007 was still at an embryonic stage. The concept of T20 specialists was still novel, and most teams simply played their ODI players. Up till 2009/2010, T20I cricket was more of a shorter version of ODI cricket rather than a completely different format. The likes of Ganguly were pretty much done at that time and Dravid himself was no longer first choice in ODIs. Not selecting Tendulkar in the early years of T20 cricket was a brave move though.

As far as MoYo is concerned, he was still one of Pakistan's best ODI batsmen at that stage, and he could have surely done a better job in that tournament compared to the likes of Butt. He could even have been tried as opener but thinking outside the box has never been our forte. In a tournament in South Africa, we went in with 6 spinner/spin-bowling all-rounders. (Malik, Afridi, Abdul Rehman, Fawad and Hafeez). Surely, the likes of MoYo and Razzaq could have been selected ahead of the likes of Fawad and Butt, who had no contributions whatsoever. It was a tournament which we lost by 5 runs and our top-order barring Nazir did not contribute.

In the last three years of his career, he was repeatedly dropped and it wasn't always due to poor form. He still did well in both Tests and ODIs but he was one of the first names on the chopping block. I don't agree that the PCB had no intention (or desire) of parting ways with him. If anything, the dreaded captaincy stint simply made the inevitable happen earlier.

I think moyos real age was 5 years more than his official , is the case with waqar younis ,saeed anwar and aqib jawed as well. He was removed at the right time.

While I agree with you that the biggest problem was his ego, I have to disagree on some other points that you raised. T20 cricket in 2007 was still at an embryonic stage. The concept of T20 specialists was still novel, and most teams simply played their ODI players. Up till 2009/2010, T20I cricket was more of a shorter version of ODI cricket rather than a completely different format. The likes of Ganguly were pretty much done at that time and Dravid himself was no longer first choice in ODIs. Not selecting Tendulkar in the early years of T20 cricket was a brave move though.

As far as MoYo is concerned, he was still one of Pakistan's best ODI batsmen at that stage, and he could have surely done a better job in that tournament compared to the likes of Butt. He could even have been tried as opener but thinking outside the box has never been our forte. In a tournament in South Africa, we went in with 6 spinner/spin-bowling all-rounders. (Malik, Afridi, Abdul Rehman, Fawad and Hafeez). Surely, the likes of MoYo and Razzaq could have been selected ahead of the likes of Fawad and Butt, who had no contributions whatsoever. It was a tournament which we lost by 5 runs and our top-order barring Nazir did not contribute.

In the last three years of his career, he was repeatedly dropped and it wasn't always due to poor form. He still did well in both Tests and ODIs but he was one of the first names on the chopping block. I don't agree that the PCB had no intention (or desire) of parting ways with him. If anything, the dreaded captaincy stint simply made the inevitable happen earlier.

Off topic but Dravid remained an integral part of India's ODI team until the latter part of 2009. I think it was more of a case of their seniors not wanting to play and invest their careers in T20's. By that point - Yuvraj, Harbhajan and Irfan Pathan were seniors yet they still chose to play.

Regarding MoYo - ICL did not do him in. I think it was more of a case of his failed captaincy stint during the Australia tour in 2009/10. Regardless of what people say - there were strong implications that the Sydney Test was fixed and the PCB from that point onwards simply did not trust him. Keep in mind he had a great 2009 CT so for the PCB to suddenly discard must have indicated their lack of trust in working with him.

It was his bad luck that he was recalled to the England tour of 2010 and when the trio got caught - he ws indirectly linked with them being the senior on the team along with Butt, Kaneria, Hameed etc. who all never played Test cricket for Pakistan again.

YK, Misbah and even Afridi were all lucky that they were not associated with the 2009/10 Australia and 2010 English tours whereas Moyo unfortunately was...

I agree that T20 at the time was nothing like the specialist format it is today. However, it was also not a format that teams were necessarily prioritizing. I still think dropping Moyo was the right decision. It was an opportunity to try players that would suit the format. The two teams that made it to the final were the teams that experimented. Even if you would have personally selected him, I'm sure you can see the logic in dropping him. Lazy attitude, poor fielder, not a power hitter, and neither young nor supremely fit.

PCB's lack of imaginative thinking isn't something new but I don't think Yousuf would have agreed to open the innings. The poor selection of Fawad doesn't mean that Yousuf deserved to be picked.

In the last 3 years of his career, Yousuf made poor decision after poor decision. The board did not want Yousuf out. When Yousuf joined ICL, the board asked him to renege and promised him a spot in the IPL. No IPL team bid for him because he was under litigation. PCB tried to help Moyo but Yousuf's impulsiveness and self-importance got in the way time and again.

Yousuf went back to the ICL and the board had to drop him because it was an unauthorized league. When he came back in 2009, he took an oath to not play well under Younis Khan's captaincy.

Then when he was captain, he was tactically incompetent as well as being clueless off the field. Even when he was dropped for the last time in 2010, it was the right decision. He was a decent player but it was obvious he wasn't going to last much longer given his fitness.

I don't think Yousuf was ever on the chopping block. I think he put his name on the chopping block by joining the ICL, refusing to play in the Champions Trophy in 2008 (which got cancelled), his oath-taking, his captaincy blunders. His form could no longer justify his tantrums either.

Yousuf was an excellent batsman and very stylish but I don't think I can respect him as a person.

Back