Why has the capacity of the Gaddafi stadium been reduced from 60,000 to 27,000?

Deosai

Local Club Star
Runs
I just read that capacity has been rueced from it's original 60,000 to just 27,000 due to 'renovations', don't what they exactly mean by renovations cause I don't see any noticeable difference,

In 1996 WC Final capacity of Gaddafi Stadium was 60,400 but later renovation of Gaddafi Stadium reduced the capacity to 27000 seats since 2005. not specifically for this tour.

In 1996 WC Final capacity of Gaddafi Stadium was 60,400 but later renovation of Gaddafi Stadium reduced the capacity to 27000 seats since 2005. not specifically for this tour.

What were those renovations which decreased the capacity of the stadium so much?

What were those renovations which decreased the capacity of the stadium so much?

When you use plastic chairs with designated seat numbers, that decreases the capacity by a lot... Mirpur in BD used to be a 40K capacity stadium... not it is 25K.

I am not sure about the other reason, but i see under construction stand with all commercial advertisements to hide the construction... that might be the other reason..

its an all seater stadium now

previously half the stadium was just concrete steps where you would fit people in like cattle

its an all seater stadium now

previously half the stadium was just concrete steps where you would fit people in like cattle

I think many of the "economy class" enclosures still have those concrete steps. No seats.

They could just replace those concrete steps with grass banks, that way it could be economical and also more comfortable.

They could just replace those concrete steps with grass banks, that way it could be economical and also more comfortable.
terribe idea in the subcontinent

It has become such a small pathetic stadium.

Pakistan needs an 80,000 seater flagship stadium.

no money and no incentive to invest

National stadium is 35k and largest but its a concrete jungle. no aesthetic redeeming quality. Gadaffi atlreast looks good

Eden Garden has gone from 1,50,000 to 50k something. Its embarrassing.

No need for massive grounds. We should go England's way and make the ones we have much better. Lord's, Oval, Edgbaston aren't massive but very pretty grounds nonetheless.

Also shows you how massive MCG is, it has 100,000 capacity and is an all-seater!

hmm didn't tknow

but they have a 90+% literacy rate there too. and culture is different and more open

Islamabad's got a literacy rate of around 90%, I don't think we're less civilized than sri Lankans and Asian men are stereotyped of being sleazy so it isn't unique to us, we just underrate ourselves

No need for massive grounds. We should go England's way and make the ones we have much better. Lord's, Oval, Edgbaston aren't massive but very pretty grounds nonetheless.

Also shows you how massive MCG is, it has 100,000 capacity and is an all-seater!

Well a mega city like Karachi with over 20 million people should have a stadium as big as the MCG, Lahore should have stadium of over 60,000 cause it's got 12 million people, we can't compare to little England.

Our society and double standards, i often take my mom and sisters to mlb games but would never take them to cricket stadiums in pakistan.

That's cause you don't trust Pakistanis and you might have your reasons, but I went to a few cricket matches between 2003 to 2008 with my mom,sister,aunt and female cousins and none of them ever had any problems, you're less likely to have a problem than shopping on chaand raat

Well a mega city like Karachi with over 20 million people should have a stadium as big as the MCG, Lahore should have stadium of over 60,000 cause it's got 12 million people, we can't compare to little England.

We don't have any money, we should make do with small grounds.
A ground like MCG costs hundreds of million dollars to make.

anyone who thinks it wont be a problem having such brassy banks in ground in India and Pakistan likely hasn't lived here or interacted with the common man

its a country where in buses and trains you have separate female only sections. its impossible to replicate the environment on NZ and SA grounds

also btw there are grassy banks in the Abu Dhabi ground. no woman uses them

anyone who thinks it wont be a problem having such brassy banks in ground in India and Pakistan likely hasn't lived here or interacted with the common man

its a country where in buses and trains you have separate female only sections. its impossible to replicate the environment on NZ and SA grounds

Reduce the capacity, make seating more comfortable. Increase ticket prices a lot. Like 2-3K at least.

Ground will still fill but crowd will be better.
#2cents

Women go to public parks and experience little to no problems, cricket stadiums have much more expensive entrance fees and with tight security and cameras everywhere,I don't think anybody would would do anything inappropriate

Reduce the capacity, make seating more comfortable. Increase ticket prices a lot. Like 2-3K at least.

#2cents

Lol 2-3 grand for tickets?so I guess middle class people shouldn't attend the games?

Lol 2-3 grand for tickets?so I guess middle class people shouldn't attend the games?

It is not a charity. In England ashes tickets cost 80-100 pounds, that is why they have such good grounds.

#2cents

that's why there are diff prices for diff stands

for eg in Karachi miandad enclosure isn't much better than a raja enclosure in terms of seating. but its price 3 times as much so that you are with educated ppl.

but cricket is a form of entertainment. you shouldn't price it out of a common mans reach

finally, regardless of anything else mist Pakistani women wont be comfortable lying down in the open on grassy banks so its a moot point even if other obvios things like leering, staring, harassment and the 40 celcius weather are taken care of

There are enough rich people interested in cricket in the big cities Lahore, Karachi and Islamabad that grounds will fill with 2K ticket price. No need to pander to the working class. Reduce capacity to 20,000 I say. Make the experience of watching the game better so it will be a thing to relish, something you save up money for because you know the experience is going to be great.

In the smaller cities 200-500 rupees tickets still have a place.

It is not a charity. In England ashes tickets cost 80-100 pounds, that is why they have such good grounds.

Yeah and England is a rich country where the minimum wage is i believe around 6 pounds an hour and has a per capita income 30 times more than ours

The current ticket prices for this series are quite reasonable, varying prices for different seats

that's why there are diff prices for diff stands

for eg in Karachi miandad enclosure isn't much better than a raja enclosure in terms of seating. but its price 3 times as much so that you are with educated ppl.

but cricket is a form of entertainment. you shouldn't price it out of a common mans reach

finally, regardless of anything else mist Pakistani women wont be comfortable lying down in the open on grassy banks so its a moot point even if other obvios things like leering, staring, harassment and the 40 celcius weather are taken care of

Actually the class difference between different stands looks like apartheid on tv. Stands next to each other where one has 40% women and the other 0. Looks really weird. Why have any stand for charity? I don't understand.

Yeah and England is a rich country where the minimum wage is i believe around 6 pounds an hour and has a per capita income 30 times more than ours

The current ticket prices for this series are quite reasonable, varying prices for different seats

100 pound tickets are high even for their wages.

Probably, not economical. Large maintenance and other overhead costs.

Actually the class difference between different stands looks like apartheid on tv. Stands next to each other where one has 40% women and the other 0. Looks really weird. Why have any stand for charity? I don't understand.

lower middle class should be allowed to enjoy too

it happens everywhere btw. the price discrepancy ie.

its our conservative culture to blame for this not pricing

I know some people who when they didn't get tickets for Fazal or Imran stands, didn't even bother attending the matches.

lower middle class should be allowed to enjoy too

it happens everywhere btw. the price discrepancy ie.

its our conservative culture to blame for this not pricing

They can still enjoy. But they shouldn't destroy the experience of others who are ready to pay much much more for the ticket and value it.

The price discrepancy for different stands of course exists everywhere but the class differenc doesn't look so blatant that two stands next to each other where one has people wearing jeans and eating pizza hut between innings and the other full of mazdoors.

Last edited:
There are enough rich people interested in cricket in the big cities Lahore, Karachi and Islamabad that grounds will fill with 2K ticket price. No need to pander to the working class. Reduce capacity to 20,000 I say. Make the experience of watching the game better so it will be a thing to relish, something you save up money for because you know the experience is going to be great.

In the smaller cities 200-500 rupees tickets still have a place.

They won't fill up stands, middle class people won't shell out 15-20 grand for a family of 4 or 5 to attend a night of cricket, Pakistani people for the most part are stingy and will try to save every penny, you might bring them out once but then don't expect the same crowd to attend multiple games in the year,

They won't fill up stands, middle class people won't shell out 15-20 grand for a family of 4 or 5 to attend a night of cricket, Pakistani people for the most part are stingy and will try to save every penny, you might bring them out once but then don't expect the same crowd to attend multiple games in the year,

In a city of 12 million there is at least 1 million middle class who can afford tickets. If the experience of watching the match is top class, people will flock. Now even those who can afford, especially female fans, don't go because they are afraid for their security or that some incident might take place their.

They are playing against zimboks now, imagine a series vs Eng, Aus, Ind.

So PSL final will take place here. Any renovation plans? Or are we still going to play in a tiny minnow level 27,000 seater stadium?

At least produce 1 international grade 50,000 seater stadium.

Back