Why Misbah is still in the ODI Team!

BoomBoomCricket

First Class Captain
Runs
Post of the Week
A lot of people have been pushing for Misbah's exclusion from this format, however there is plenty of logic as to why Misbah is still in the ODI team which people are badly failing to consider. Reasons include:

1) Merit: First and foremost he was the leading run scorer in the ODI series against New Zealand and he was also the leading ODI run scorer for Pakistan in the 2011 ICC CWC. He has scored 5 half centuries in his last 11 innings. On ODI form alone his place cannot be questioned by any stretch of the imagination.

2) He has the Test Captaincy firmly in his hands. It always helps when the "real captain" or "major captain" of the national team is in and around the camp for the LO formats so he can keep a close eye on proceedings and share his vision, views and expertise with the management and LO captain. Therefore he should still play ODIs and T20s for however longer he remains captain of the Test team which should by another 2 years as he is building a strong looking side which is producing the desired outcomes.

3) Younis and Misbah were two class acts in whatever format they plan in and making drastic wholesale changes at once is not really the best way forward. You have to take one step at a time and keep a blend of experience and youth. You cannot really axe Younis Khan and Misbah Ul Haq simultaneously just like that. One needs to have at least one experienced batsmen around to help groom and encourage the youngsters and as Misbah has the leadership and superior form in his favour he unquestionably gets priority over Younis at the moment as far this role is concerned.

4) By playing in the LO formats it will help him keep his form, fitness and shape ahead of the Test Series which proceeds and which matters the most. A captain's performance and form accounts for a lot. Hence, if he is playing ODIs it could help the Test team gain as well. Tests have priority in a professional cricketing establishment.

5) Will help him adapt to the conditions ahead of the series which matters most. This should put him in good stead to deliver where and when it matters and look at some new faces from close up which he might be interested in seeing in his Test side for example.

6) Pakistan will struggle to bat 50 overs without an experienced soild anchor role batsmen in the middle order. This is the basic principle of ODI cricket, batting out your overs!

7) He is the Mr Cricket of Pakistan i.e. Mike Hussey of Australia who has a commanding presence at the crease and reads match situations exceedingly well and handles proceedings out there in the middle with a sense of authority, class and expertise. Misbah also has those capabilities as he has demonstrated in his relatively late and short career. Has Hussey retired from LO cricket? He is 35 after all. This is an example to refer to.

8) If a player is succeeding in Test Cricket he is more than good enough to succeed in relatively easier formats. Just a concept which tends to work out and more often than not is the reality.

Some thoughts for consideration here, but to be honest Misbah was never really in serious contention to be axed from the ODI team in the first place and was probably even going to end up leading the side in all formats during the WI tour when Afridi decided he wanted to take rest and who knows maybe Misbah will end up captaining Pakistan in the 2012 ICC WT20 or something of the sort if Afridi is banned or fined as he has been in the past. Misbah certainly has the credentials to stand in whenever needed and do a top job. He is still in the LO side and good to see if you consider the situation with a sense of perspective and clarity.

Last edited:
I agree - he is the last batsman we should try getting rid of from our team. He plays in a frustrating yet effective manner, as suggested by his batting average in both tests and ODIs since his most recent comeback. We don't need 11 Afridi type batsmen who can score quickly but not consistently. We should make the most of him before age takes him away from us.

I agree - he is the last batsman we should try getting rid of from our team. He plays in a frustrating yet effective manner, as suggested by his batting average in both tests and ODIs since his most recent comeback. We don't need 11 Afridi type batsmen who can score quickly but not consistently. We should make the most of him before age takes him away from us.

Excellent post, but unfortunately by Pakistani standards if a player is consistent he goes on to be labelled as "selfish" for wanting to reach certain milestones on a regular basis. You can never satisfy everyone. There seems to be no balance of view in place. Sad stuff really.

Excellent post, but unfortunately by Pakistani standards if a player is consistent he goes on to be labelled as "selfish" for wanting to reach certain milestones on a regular basis. You can never satisfy everyone. There seems to be no balance of view in place. Sad stuff really.
MashaAllah, Misbah has been our best player by a mile this past year (Hafeez and Afridi are runners up)

People are just irritated (justifiably) because of that one poor knock. I do think he should bat in the top order though because his tuktuk-whack style is suited against the new ball

Because He is Yes man of PCB n Co Thats Rediclious Shame on you PCB n Mohsin

Now obviously a lot of dust has settled and people myself have calmed down it is silly to drop Misbah...the arguments the OP made are a strong one he was batting to a plan provided for him in the World Cup...

If anything lets hope we have learned from the bad planning as opposed to the individual performance...as a batsman he is still our most reliable batter...

Why Misbah is still in the ODI Team!?

because he's the best batsman we have?

Don't cry too much over a loss, he's done a great job for pakistan.
dont see them surviving in test without him.

Why Misbah is still in the ODI Team? :misbah
Because he is the Test Captain, as logical as you can get. :ibutt

Honestly, You people should get rid of Afridi as the Caption and Put Misbah as the caption!
Hes young, fresh and most importantly smart thinking cricketer who can take the pressure head on and not flip like Afridi...after listening to a few of his interviews on www, All I can say is Afridi is a good cricketer but a sub-par human being..

Honestly, You people should get rid of ]Afridi as the Caption and Put Misbah as the caption!
Hes young, fresh and most importantly smart thinking cricketer who can take the pressure head on and not flip like Afridi...after listening to a few of his interviews on www, All I can say is Afridi is a good cricketer but a sub-par human being..

You'd say that after his special knock in the semis against India :)

Understandable.

You'd say that after his special knock in the semis against India :)

Understandable.

I don't get you...but if you mean that he cost you the match, then you need to look at the bigger picture...If only had not Afrdi played that foolish shot and got out and before that your batsmen who played all the wrong shots and fielders who had butterfingers...he was the only guy who gave you hope to win after such apoor show by the rest of team. you shold raise him as your hero!!
I see most of the times, your media asks the question often, "why our country don't have Role models like India does?" THIS IS WHY!

Honestly, You people should get rid of Afridi as the Caption and Put Misbah as the caption!

Who are you kidding? Misbah and young?
Afridi has done a great job so far barring some moments from the game against India. We dont need a new captain

As for the OP, yes he should not be dropped he has been our most consistent batsmen since his return.

And when the team collapses he is there to help us win or post a decent total.

Also he is in great form, he hes been fantastic since his comeback. The game against India was just a one off, he is human afterall.

So basically one game is not enough to judge, remember his crucial knocks that help us win. Altough he is quite slow, he still can hit boundaries when the need arises.

The managemenmt should continue with him for the next 2 years, until he retires.

Last edited:
Who are you kidding? Misbah and young?
Afridi has done a great job so far barring some moments from the game against India.

As for the OP, yes he should not be dropped he has been our most consistent batsmen since his return.

And when the team collapses he is there to help us win or post a decent total.

Also he is in great form, he hes been fantastic since his comeback. The game against India was just a one off, he is human afterall.

So basically one game is not enough to judge, remember his crucial knocks that help us win. Altough he is quite slow, he still can hit boundaries when the need arises.

The managemenmt should continue with him for the next 2 years, until he retires.

Thats just sad, my bad.. I should've checked the stats...But that just goes on to show what a credible player he is, even at this age!
A true match-winner for you( given' the rest of team co-operate)
Wonder where he was before..

POTW for chandra : " Misbah is young"!
Tells a lot about the cricket knowledge of some posters!
Misbah is a poor batsman, shouldn' t be in the ODI team...
Actualle he shouldn' t be in the test team when we find a captain..
Really a pooor batdman.

POTW for chandra : " Misbah is young"!
Tells a lot about the cricket knowledge of some posters!
Misbah is a poor batsman, shouldn' t be in the ODI team...
Actualle he shouldn' t be in the test team when we find a captain..
Really a pooor batdman.

Misbah ul Haq is the worst thing to have ever happened to Pakistan cricket. Its just absolutely shocking how he has managed to cement a permanent place in the side after 2007 and lived of his performances from that season.

He is a very ordinary batsmen who plays only for himself and never for the team. He is a coward who could give a rats ass about bringing the rest of the team down. No temprament, always chocks during the pivotal moments.

Why is he in the team when he is already 37? What does he have to teach to the younger generation? His footwork is very poor, he has a limited no of shots, he cant rotate the strike even if a million bucks were offered to him. He promised to retire after the 2011 WC but is now sticking around knowing he has the test captaincy.

Anyways i know fully well he is one poor series away from being personally sidelined. This pathetic tuk tuk tuk tuk phattu batsman is going to play as his usual self in the next few games. The sooner this happens the better it is for our team.

Misbah ul Haq is the worst thing to have ever happened to Pakistan cricket. Its just absolutely shocking how he has managed to cement a permanent place in the side after 2007 and lived of his performances from that season.

He is a very ordinary batsmen who plays only for himself and never for the team. He is a coward who could give a rats ass about bringing the rest of the team down. No temprament, always chocks during the pivotal moments.

Why is he in the team when he is already 37? What does he have to teach to the younger generation? His footwork is very poor, he has a limited no of shots, he cant rotate the strike even if a million bucks were offered to him. He promised to retire after the 2011 WC but is now sticking around knowing he has the test captaincy.

Anyways i know fully well he is one poor series away from being personally sidelined. This pathetic tuk tuk tuk tuk phattu batsman is going to play as his usual self in the next few games. The sooner this happens the better it is for our team.

Garbage post.

he is lurking to take the ODI captaincy from AFridi if there is a slipup.

My opinion, he should give it up.

The next 3 series are against young and unestablished teams, so its not that we will tank wihtout him

Misbah can be a nightmare at times, Misbah can be a hero at times. But what Misbah cannot be is a Legend.

I love to see this guy and stuff but I really don't know hes not really all that great. Like all I can remember right now when i hear his name is the Losses we had against India in two world cups. One 20-20- and one 50 overs. I really wish I can defend this guy and Really hope this guy could be anything more then a Nightmare But I really don't see it. Hes not someone i Depend on to win the matches for us I depend on someone more like Afridi. Yes Afridi is a Mindless Slogger and Yes Afridi is not all that great of a captain. But what Afridi has what Misbah doesn't is Charisma and Brutal Aggression. If Misbah can be more positive in his approach and more attacking in his approach . Like Attacking yet defending . Rotating the strike not tak tak no run. Then I will learn to respect this guy. For me hes a unsatisfying hero.

You really think so obsessively negatively and have some double standards in your comments. You have to assess the present situation properly and acknowledge the manner in which MuH has performed exceptionally well, the manner in which he has changed and transformed the fortunes of the Test side in difficult circumstances after all the controversies which happened and the way he has stepped up and given Pakistan Cricket Fans many great memories since November including their first ever Test series win outside the sub continent in over 7 years. MuH is on track to be classified as a short term legend and has proportionally achieved many great feats considering his career spam. He is a top class batsmen as his averages show, one heck of an asset in the dressing room and on the pitch with his tactical braininess, composure, vast understanding of the game and a very suitable naturally born captaincy material. He was also responsible for getting Saeed Ajmal into this team whereas at the best Afridi can only identify talent in losers like Fawad Alam and Shahzaib Hassan Khan. An ideal all round package and educated professional who plays a key part with both bat, mind and presence. Players like him are found in rare proportions in Pakistan sides. A real given asset to a team. Let's make the most of him!

Savak is really starting to lose all credibility. He's gone from being a slightly Shoaib-obsessed but essentially insightful poster to a whirling paragraph of insanity.

If Shoaib Akhtar (whose results in the same time read 15-odd matches, economy rate 6.5 and average 40) deserves to be in the side then so does Misbah. A class act and a very underrated batsman

Afridi should still be cappo though, he's done a fine job.

He provides the much needed solidity in middle order

By the way, what's the latest Mohali update?? Has he got to his hundred or not? :misbah

Happy to finally see most posters getting over the emotional anger at Misbah after the world cup, and actually seeing him for the inform high quality batsman he is. His importance in the team is right up there.

He provides the much needed solidity in middle order

By the way, what's the latest Mohali update?? Has he got to his hundred or not? :misbah

lol, he is fighting hard for it! In his nervous 90's!
Meybe he will complete the hundred when there will be then next world cup in India!

He has been in fine form with the blade in ODIs. Best to let him play till he retires, which shouldn't be too far away. He is a Pakistani "36" now. Petrol is running out.

Hes a very frustrating batsman and unfortunately not as tactically clever as people give him credit for-he has more than once messed up run chases and /or scored when the pressure is off

He ll always be more remembered for losing us games rather than winning us many

The main problem misbah offers to team is inability to get the other batsman in. Misbah , most of the times. is unable to rotate the strike which a man of his age and experience should be able to do easily. Yah he is a good batting form but his batting only helps himself not the batsmen around him. The juniors feel pressure to score runs quickly and in boundaries when they are batting with misbah. His tuk tuk and slogs dont help the team cause much unless its a test match.

Misbah is just selfish he lost us the game against india and him and younis are our worst odi batsmen they are over rated they just good for tests and misbah can never win us a game he has lost us plenty of big games. and younis was never a odi player.

We need Misbah .. He is so consistent.. I hate our fans.. One bad innings (which was not his fault at all .. we could have won if not for our stupid Captain) and they jump off his bandwagon.. Couple of months ago he was the 2nd coming of christ and now they hate his guts.. He just needs to work on rotating the strike and he can easily play for 2 to 3 more years....

Misbah is a really good asset when Pakistan is batting first as he (along with Younis and Shafiq) can act as 'stabilizers' help build partnrships and thn at the end leave it to the agrssors (Afridi, U.Akmal, Razzaq,etc) The problem is whn Pakistan is batting 2nd as it seems he gets pressurized and rather than rotating the strike (as he often does while batting first) plays quite slowly
Same is the case with Tendulkar, really.
He can play a classy innings while batting 1st but th same guy isn't as impressive while batting 2nd.

No he hasn't lived off his 2007 performances as I'll proceed to.

As for the innings vs India.He came in a tough situation where our top order batsmen threw away their wickets in a hostile Mohali environment.

Not to mention it was a World Cup semi-final,with hype from both countries' respective masala media and of course the politicians loading unnecessary pressure with their 'talks about talks' and bilateral relations etc.

As typical of some Pakistan fans and the masala media,we all love a scapegoat,someone to blame.That someone seems to be Misbah-ul-Haq.

Anyway,sure,he had a big dip in form during 2007-2009 but since then he has gone back to domestic cricket and has proved himself.He has rightly fought for his place in the side.

Since making his comeback,Misbah has played 4 Test matches (in the last 12 months) and averages 112.75 in 7 innings.

This is against South Africa and New Zealand so it is not an 'inflated' average batting against minnows.

OK,the UAE wickets may not be the trickiest to bat on but the South Africa bowling lineup more than compensates for that.

The New Zealand pitches were seaming and Pakistan did struggle in some matches against the NZ fast bowlers,notably Tim Southee and Hamish Bennett.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/new-zealand-v-pakistan-2010/engine/match/473923.html

http://www.espncricinfo.com/new-zealand-v-pakistan-2010/engine/match/473928.html

As for ODIs.

Since his comeback,he averages 48.20 for 12 innings.

Oh he really 'chocked' here.

A match or should I say,a series winning knock vs New Zealand.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/473926.html

And a vital 83* vs a strong Sri Lankan side,on their home turf in Colombo in the World Cup.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/433567.html

Why is he in the team when he is already 37? What does he have to teach to the younger generation?

We do not have a Viv Richards waiting in the wings.There will be no 'revolution' of youngsters if they are not properly groomed with the help of the more experienced players in the side,who can pass on advice and guide the youngsters.Then when the youngsters are ready,we can gradually ease the older players out in a transitional phase.

Pakistan cannot afford another knee-jerk,post-World Cup cull that we always initiate after a World Cup or a series defeat.

We tried to pack the team with youngsters such as Umar Amin in the England 2010 tour and that was a disastrous move,with Amin now sidelined for the foreseeable future.

It is about time Pakistan do things 'properly'.Let's have a transitional phase for now,keep the seniors on and have a firm,long-term plan in place for the next World Cup in 2015.

It is so typical of Pakistan to hit the nuclear button and to load so much pressure and hype onto our youngsters.The international circuit is much tougher and strenuous and requires players to use a great deal of skill and exertion to cope.

You can get away with shoddy techniques and a few lucky breaks here and there in domestic cricket.And the fans will start calling for that player to be brought in ASAP as he's the next Brian Lara etc etc.

But international cricket requires a blend of youth and experience.

Why do we go for one extreme to another ?

'No we must have seniors'. 'No,pack the team with youngsters'.

Just have both and use them wisely,long-term planning is not rocket science.

Last edited:
to hell with his average...I could give a rats a** about it!!!

he proceeded to choke once again when it mattered the most...once a loser always a loser...only reason he's even in the team right now cuz v have no other supposedly 'senior' batsmen in absence of YK & Yousuf...

he'll never amount to anything good sorry...whatever good he may have done he ruined it all by playing the most gutless innings of all time in the Semi-Final of a WC!

haters wana hate on Afridi but at least he already has won us a WC through his performances! so shove it up yours!!!

:misbah = liability in ODI team...

Any ODI series is always a preparation and long term groomingfor the next world cup.
Misbah will definitely not be there as he'll be almost 41 by then.
so no point in making him play

to hell with his average...I could give a rats a** about it!!!

he proceeded to choke once again when it mattered the most...once a loser always a loser...only reason he's even in the team right now cuz v have no other supposedly 'senior' batsmen in absence of YK & Yousuf...

he'll never amount to anything good sorry...whatever good he may have done he ruined it all by playing the most gutless innings of all time in the Semi-Final of a WC!

haters wana hate on Afridi but at least he already has won us a WC through his performances! so shove it up yours!!!

:misbah = liability in ODI team...

This

We need Misbah .. He is so consistent.. I hate our fans.. One bad innings (which was not his fault at all .. we could have won if not for our stupid Captain) and they jump off his bandwagon.. Couple of months ago he was the 2nd coming of christ and now they hate his guts.. He just needs to work on rotating the strike and he can easily play for 2 to 3 more years....

We need to shift the blame on someone, Misbah was the scapegoat. That match was fixed and some of our seniors were part of it. By the way our cuptaan prefers to be the second best, that's his goal.

I find the level of this maturity quite disturbing, and lack of knowledge in Cricket is being exposed openly nowadays.

First, people want Malik out of ODI, and then now Misbah? If there is players like Yousuf, Malik, Misbah who try their best to make sure the stability of batting line remain balanced, and that's what they receive this reward in return. Quite pathetic, to be honest.

Pakistan has won most of matches by chasing because of Misbah. Pakistan has never stood chance without Misbah, and so, what changes now? Drop the players who don't perform, and not the other ways around.

Those who support the exclusion of Misbah is guaranteed the fact that they are not fan of real cricket which explains the popularity of Test format is quite low in Pakistan.

Pakistan should utilize the fully best from Misbah, Yousuf and Malik. That being said, Yousuf will have to retire from ODI, and focus on Test, and leave ODI for Misbah and Malik who can make sure to maintain the balance of batting line.

A lot of people have been pushing for Misbah's exclusion from this format, however there is plenty of logic as to why Misbah is still in the ODI team which people are badly failing to consider. Reasons include:

1) Merit: First and foremost he was the leading run scorer in the ODI series against New Zealand and he was also the leading ODI run scorer for Pakistan in the 2011 ICC CWC. He has scored 5 half centuries in his last 11 innings. On ODI form alone his place cannot be questioned by any stretch of the imagination.

2) He has the Test Captaincy firmly in his hands. It always helps when the "real captain" or "major captain" of the national team is in and around the camp for the LO formats so he can keep a close eye on proceedings and share his vision, views and expertise with the management and LO captain. Therefore he should still play ODIs and T20s for however longer he remains captain of the Test team which should by another 2 years as he is building a strong looking side which is producing the desired outcomes.

3) Younis and Misbah were two class acts in whatever format they plan in and making drastic wholesale changes at once is not really the best way forward. You have to take one step at a time and keep a blend of experience and youth. You cannot really axe Younis Khan and Misbah Ul Haq simultaneously just like that. One needs to have at least one experienced batsmen around to help groom and encourage the youngsters and as Misbah has the leadership and superior form in his favour he unquestionably gets priority over Younis at the moment as far this role is concerned.

4) By playing in the LO formats it will help him keep his form, fitness and shape ahead of the Test Series which proceeds and which matters the most. A captain's performance and form accounts for a lot. Hence, if he is playing ODIs it could help the Test team gain as well. Tests have priority in a professional cricketing establishment.

5) Will help him adapt to the conditions ahead of the series which matters most. This should put him in good stead to deliver where and when it matters and look at some new faces from close up which he might be interested in seeing in his Test side for example.

6) Pakistan will struggle to bat 50 overs without an experienced soild anchor role batsmen in the middle order. This is the basic principle of ODI cricket, batting out your overs!

7) He is the Mr Cricket of Pakistan i.e. Mike Hussey of Australia who has a commanding presence at the crease and reads match situations exceedingly well and handles proceedings out there in the middle with a sense of authority, class and expertise. Misbah also has those capabilities as he has demonstrated in his relatively late and short career. Has Hussey retired from LO cricket? He is 35 after all. This is an example to refer to.

8) If a player is succeeding in Test Cricket he is more than good enough to succeed in relatively easier formats. Just a concept which tends to work out and more often than not is the reality.

Some thoughts for consideration here, but to be honest Misbah was never really in serious contention to be axed from the ODI team in the first place and was probably even going to end up leading the side in all formats during the WI tour when Afridi decided he wanted to take rest and who knows maybe Misbah will end up captaining Pakistan in the 2012 ICC WT20 or something of the sort if Afridi is banned or fined as he has been in the past. Misbah certainly has the credentials to stand in whenever needed and do a top job. He is still in the LO side and good to see if you consider the situation with a sense of perspective and clarity.

Thanks, excellent writing, just to add one foot-note that without that “Tuk Tuk” man, somewhere from 2008 to 2010, in about 23/24 ODI, Pakistan could play out 50 overs only once against Bangladesh, & that too many times batting 1st. Though not sure if it’s a helpful information for “Boom Boom” lovers

He was the only batsmen in the team to score a half century in the semi final but it turned out be in vain but still you cannot expect him to win the game all by himself. He made his contribution when others flopped and failed around him including the overrated day dreaming skipper who was got it badly wrong with both bat and decision making and cost the team on the all important day. Misbah played his part when it mattered but it just wasn't good enough to get over the line unfortunately.

Last edited:
For those that are saying he built pressure on others in the semi final and made them lose their wickets I suggest you go and see the highlights once more. All of the deliveries were poor shot selection on deliveries batsmen were not necessarily looking to attack. UA was done by a doosra from around the wicket which he played all across. Razzaq got a good leg cutter and was squared up looking to play with a straight bat. Afridi could not dispatch a full toss and totally lost his head as ever. UA, Afridi and Razzaq are at their own faults in this instance and it's not as if they have been forced to do something out of the ordinary. They were all just simply done by poor batting and good deliveries.

lol, he is fighting hard for it! In his nervous 90's!
Meybe he will complete the hundred when there will be then next world cup in India!

Just heard that Pepsi have signed him for the change the game ads.

Change the game shot- The Tuk

Joins the other game changers now :p
Sehwag-in-Pepsi-Change-The-Game-Ad.jpg

ImageResizer.ashx

tvc_paltihit_257x150.jpg

Last edited:
Misbah is approaching the end of his tether. Best to keep him to gain as much out of him as possible.

Misbah in test yes.. Misbah is odi ... WHY?? ANYBODY But not Misbah he is to old. Misbah in T20 is a joke...

MISBAH WE DONT NEEED U GO AWAY:: HAHAHAHAHA:D

This might be Misbah's penultimate series in ODIs. After Belfast, there is a long gap that could prompt him to think sensibly and retire from LOIs.

I find the level of this maturity quite disturbing, and lack of knowledge in Cricket is being exposed openly nowadays.

First, people want Malik out of ODI, and then now Misbah? If there is players like Yousuf, Malik, Misbah who try their best to make sure the stability of batting line remain balanced, and that's what they receive this reward in return. Quite pathetic, to be honest.

Pakistan has won most of matches by chasing because of Misbah. Pakistan has never stood chance without Misbah, and so, what changes now? Drop the players who don't perform, and not the other ways around.

Those who support the exclusion of Misbah is guaranteed the fact that they are not fan of real cricket which explains the popularity of Test format is quite low in Pakistan.

Pakistan should utilize the fully best from Misbah, Yousuf and Malik. That being said, Yousuf will have to retire from ODI, and focus on Test, and leave ODI for Misbah and Malik who can make sure to maintain the balance of batting line.

Pakistan has won a lot of matches chasing with Misbah??? ya right...Younis Khan has won us more matches while chasing than Misbah...and that's saying a lot innit...

and your post is heavily generalizing against people who have a legitimate reason to disagree with OP...

I'd rather have Moyo & Malik in the ODI team than YK & Misbah...the former 2 are far superior ODI batsmen compared to the latter 2! to hell with consistency when the guy who has a habit of choking ever so gloriously when the team needs him to kick on, accelerate and take the game to the opposition, instead he loves tuking and tuking and tuking all the way until RRR has reached into difficult phase only than does he wakes up from his comatose innings and decides to do something about it all the while he manages to force other batsmen around him to get out while taking chances cuz Mr.MBA was 2 busy playing 'defensively'

if that's your idea of a Champion batsmen than it's no surprise why we suck so badly at batting!!! our selectors and the ever so incompetent board sadly share the same view as the OP regarding Misbah's place in the ODI team...but we know better!

it doesn't matter if he's averaging a 100, you have to put those damn stats into perspective...how Misbah scores runs should be taken into consideration before singing his praises...I have no issue with him being in the Test team as that's his game but he needs to go from the ODI team...bring back Yousuf & Malik as they would be better suited to guide the youngsters in ODI team...

Maaz, please don't insult Mike Hussey by putting Misbah in the same bracket as the true Mr.Cricket...Misbah is not able to read game situations at all, if he did, he wouldn't have played like he did in the Semi-Final...Huss is a true finisher unlike Miss-BLAH!

He was the only batsmen in the team to score a half century in the semi final but it turned out be in vain but still you cannot expect him to win the game all by himself. He made his contribution when others flopped and failed around him including the overrated day dreaming skipper who was got it badly wrong with both bat and decision making and cost the team on the all important day. Misbah played his part when it mattered but it just wasn't good enough to get over the line unfortunately.

oh ya you forgot about the part where Misbah batted out 40 DOT balls (nearly 7 overs)...that final scoreline of his innings is HIGHLY, HIGHLY deceiving...

he played his part in running the asking rate go north if anything!

oh ya you forgot about the part where Misbah batted out 40 DOT balls (nearly 7 overs)...that final scoreline of his innings is HIGHLY, HIGHLY deceiving...

he played his part in running the asking rate go north if anything!
:facepalm:

That was ONE innings. Just because he played lie that ONCE doesn't discount all the amazing chases Misbah-ul-Haq HAS pullled off for us in the past. Our best batsman MashaAllah at the moment

^

He doesn't have too long to go in ODIs. He'll probably retire at the end of Belfast.

:facepalm:

That was ONE innings. Just because he played lie that ONCE doesn't discount all the amazing chases Misbah-ul-Haq HAS pullled off for us in the past. Our best batsman MashaAllah at the moment

you can believe whatever you want brother, ain't no body gona convince me otherwise!

and yes it was ONE inning that crushed the spirits of 180 million when all he had to do was just bat with more purpose instead he played that ONE inning where he lost us the World Cup!!! and he has a history of choking...

fact is Misbah sucks and needs to be given the boot from the ODI team! PERIOD

Last edited:
I know, it is sad. It is very easy for a player to be remembered for a few innings. Unfortunately, in LOIs, Misbah will be remembered by most fans for that scoop in the T20 WC Final in SA & his Mohali innings.

In any case, he should retire sooner rather than later now and completely focus on Tests.

I agree, but it's pretty sad to see how people are completely decrying his past achievements on the basis of one poor knock

what exactly is so great about Misbah's achievements in ODI or Test arena???

he's always failed on the big stage...

I really don't think Misbah will go further ahead after the Belfast games as there's a gap after that and hopefully him and YK can concentrate on test cricket and give another 2-3 years depending on their form and fitness ofcourse!

Er just about all of Misbah's Test innings since becoming captain?

Or those gems in the 2007 Twenty20?

Or that fantastic vigil on the last tour of India?

Or the countless times he's rescued our behinds in big chases (most recently v NZ, also v Australia two years ago when we were really struggling and MashaAllah Misbah came in, clubbed a few boundaries and completely changed the complexion of the game, or in the 2008 Asia Cup where he hit 70 as we managed to chase 300+)

Just about all his one-day innings in 2008, and almost all his recent Test innings (7 fifties in a row).

Heck even in the WC Misbah started off with a couple of really good innings but will unfortunately be remembered for that horrible SF knocks.

Last edited:
I know, it is sad. It is very easy for a player to be remembered for a few innings. Unfortunately, in LOIs, Misbah will be remembered by most fans for that scoop in the T20 WC Final in SA & his Mohali innings.

In any case, he should retire sooner rather than later now and completely focus on Tests.

that's just reality my friend...when players fail to deliver on the big stage they are remembered more for that than anything else...

to this day Inzi's SF knock of '92 remains etched into the memories of fans because he played at a time when all hope seemed lost but eventually led to victory!

Misbah failed on 2 occasions, T20 '07 Final, and WC '11 SF both against India, are biggest rival!!! and that makes everything else irrelevant!!!

Er just about all of Misbah's Test innings since becoming captain?

Or those gems in the 2007 Twenty20?

Or that fantastic vigil on the last tour of India?

Or the countless times he's rescued our behinds in big chases (most recently v NZ, also v Australia two years ago when we were really struggling and MashaAllah Misbah came in, clubbed a few boundaries and completely changed the complexion of the game, or in the 2008 Asia Cup where he hit 70 as we managed to chase 300+)

Just about all his one-day innings in 2008, and almost all his recent Test innings (7 fifties in a row).

Heck even in the WC Misbah started off with a couple of really good innings but will unfortunately be remembered for that horrible SF knocks.

those 'achievements' seem insignificant when you fail to deliver on big stage...

that's just reality my friend...when players fail to deliver on the big stage they are remembered more for that than anything else...

to this day Inzi's SF knock of '92 remains etched into the memories of fans because he played at a time when all hope seemed lost but eventually led to victory!

Misbah failed on 2 occasions, T20 '07 Final, and WC '11 SF both against India, are biggest rival!!! and that makes everything else irrelevant!!!
How did he fail in the T20 final? We would've lost that match by 40+ runs, if anything Misbah took us right to the brink. And no everything else is not irrelevant, otherwise Shoaib Akhtar's horrible performance in the 1999 final and in the 2003 WC match v India would've wrongly blotted out a memorable career.

People have double standards unfortunately :(

those 'achievements' seem insignificant when you fail to deliver on big stage...
Fact is that Misbah has done more for Pakistan in 3-4 short years than much-hyped players like Afridi and Akhtar have in a decade. And I'm a huge fan of both those players btw, but you have to face facts.

Last edited:
How did he fail in the T20 final? We would've lost that match by 40+ runs, if anything Misbah took us right to the brink. And no everything else is not irrelevant, otherwise Shoaib Akhtar's horrible performance in the 1999 final and in the 2003 WC match v India would've wrongly blotted out a memorable career.

People have double standards unfortunately :(

Shoaib Akhtar in '99 was not expected to carry the team, it was Akram, Saqi and others...besides the WC '99 Final was already a lost cause even before Akhtar stepped onto the field...Akhtar's performance in the Semi-Final of that very same WC was a major contributor to us reaching the Finals in first place!

besides Akhtar has countless spells at the test level to remember him by...so you see I don't use double standards!!!

Bottom line is.....Misbah has had a terrible brain failure in the crunch moments.

Last edited:
Fact is that Misbah has done more for Pakistan in 3-4 short years than much-hyped players like Afridi and Akhtar have in a decade. And I'm a huge fan of both those players btw, but you have to face facts.

lol oh really? cuz as far as I know, Pakistan hadn't won an ODI series since 2008 and a test series since 2006 until very recently against NZ in 2011!!! those are the absolute facts!!!

Akhtar won us the ODI series down under against Australia in 2002 where he was the Man of the Series! Afridi has already won us a T20 WC!!!

any notable achievements of Misbah that led to team winning anything?? only recently did his contributions finally lead to a win against NZ in ODI & Test series, so that's the only place he gets credit...

but the point is, he's a spent force and needs to be axed for good from ODI team! Yousuf would be a far better guide for any youngster!!!

I used to be a supporter of Misbah but since 2009 I have lost faith in his ability to read game situation and win matches...

^

Come off it. That is the brutal truth. It was a misfortune for Pak that Misbah was the man for the crunch moments.

Back