Why Misbah is still in the ODI Team!

Maaz, please don't insult Mike Hussey by putting Misbah in the same bracket as the true Mr.Cricket...Misbah is not able to read game situations at all, if he did, he wouldn't have played like he did in the Semi-Final...Huss is a true finisher unlike Miss-BLAH!

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/335355.html

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/392620.html

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/473926.html

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/392616.html

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/299008.html

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/66345.html

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/287870.html

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/287862.html

Misbah has actually had a reputation of finishing off games in ODI cricket better than most batsmen. Journalists and commentators were comparing him to the Michael Bevan of this era not so long ago. If you think about it he has been a consistent and deadly effective ODI player overall. I have uploaded some scorecards above which you should take a look at. He has often been a top class finisher in run chases as is represented by the number of NOs he has had. He has had the "Hussey" or "Bevan" effect and gained a reputation from it which people seemed to have forgotten about with all the unnecessary semi final overreaction.

bring back Yousuf & Malik as they would be better suited to guide the youngsters in ODI team...

Yousuf's ODI form has been horrendous for a considerable amount of time. He hasn't done anything special to receive a recall. It will only be backward thinking to recall him. As for Malik he is not even in contention to be recalled anytime soon & it would be better to leave it like that. Misbah was therefore the only & best choice available by some distance. He has got a Grade "A" contract after all so it's best to make full use of his services wherever possible.

MuH hasn't had controversies associated with him whereas Malik & Yousuf have. Disciplinary performances has to come into consideration as well in selection matters nowadays. It's a no brainer as to why MuH was selected ahead of Yousuf & Malik for the WC and now.

Plus he was instrumental in assisting the leadership of the side and providing the guidance throughout the World Cup as he has exceptional qualities in this field. This was another key contributor for why he got preference over the other names you have mentioned.

In my opinion (just an opinion), He is one of the biggest coward I ever seen. if you watch his performance in SL under YK's captaincy, when SL bowlers were seaming the ball , he decided to take a single just to commit suicide . then in aus under Moyo he walked to the field when Pak team was under huge pressure, he looked so nervous and shakey. he looks like a Marasi from Faisalabad with a heart of a coward . not to mention he decided to burn his team uniform when he got dropped. Cry baby I reckon.

misbah is straight garbage.

west indies took a bold move and dropped their beyond due date crap.

unfortunately half of our fans do not understand the concept of strike rate and just look at runs wheras the other half just look at strike rate and dont care about runs.

a good ODI batsman is able to avg 35+ at a SR above 70.

misbah cannot do this anymore.

why a player whos pathetic rotation of strike and lack of real time in game sense that cost us a world cup is still in the team at the age of 35, is beyond the life of me.

misbah is straight garbage.

west indies took a bold move and dropped their beyond due date crap.

unfortunately half of our fans do not understand the concept of strike rate and just look at runs wheras the other half just look at strike rate and dont care about runs.

a good ODI batsman is able to avg 35+ at a SR above 70.

misbah cannot do this anymore.

why a player whos pathetic rotation of strike and lack of real time in game sense that cost us a world cup is still in the team at the age of 35, is beyond the life of me.

Last 2 Years:

Attachments

• Unbenannt.jpg
    Unbenannt.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 137

First of all dead rubber, second of all Younis Khan was the one who made things easier for Misbah.

Again another dead rubber, It was Kamran Akmal who took the initiative by attacking the Australian bowlers and bringing Pakistan upto the required net run rate. Such a phattu Misbah, he was tuk tuking tuk tuking till Hilfenhaus bowled a no ball, free hit and only then did Misbah really free his arms, played a hook shot to a short ball knowing he cannot be out.

Excuse me, Sohail Tanvir won this match. Not Misbah, Misbah had screwed up, he was tuk tuking tuk tuking and trying to make his stats look good with a 90 plus not out while Pakistan were still 10-15 runs short, he was struggling to hit the boundries. Then out of no where Sohail Tanvir comes and hits 3 boundries of Southee. I saw this match. Misbah only played for himself that day, it was Tanvir who showed real guts, courage by taking on Southee.

Again i repeat, Misbah did nothing. He batted like a complete phattu yet again. Blocking Blocking Tuk tuking even the slowerest of deleveries from the likes of Clarke. He couldnt take the singles to save his life. It was Afridi who took the initiative by smashing Hilfenhaus and Clarke and getting the Pakistani score close to the Australian total. Misbah eventually got to 30 not out after he hit Symonds for 4 when the batting powerplay came and still his strike rate is 44. If it wasnt for Afridi, Misbah would have cost the team yet another game with his typical batting approach. I saw this game.

Fair enough, this was a decent performance. Surprisingly.

Misbah back then was impressive. He looked like our best batsman in 2002 when everyone else was struggling.

This was the best knock i saw Misbah play. I really wish he had batted with the same intelligence and efficiency throughout the later part of his career, but no he ended up costing Pakistan many games including the most important game against India at Mohali on March 30, 2011 something for which he can never ever be forgiven.

Misbah did brilliantly to lead the fight back but he showed his first signs of the chocker he was when he wasted the last 2 balls of the game and failed to score the 1 run Pakistan needed for victory.

Bottomline a chocker, a player who never delivered for Pakistan on the big games. It is an insult to include him in the team let alone mention him alongside a legend like Michael Bevan.

:))

^

You clearly have doube standards in your comments. You only seem to be attracted by the big power house flashy type cricketers who have had their fair share of carelessness and controversies in the dynamic world of Pakistan Cricket & think of everyone else as absolute failures in comparison to them. You referred to Azhar Ali negatively as well in another thread and labelled him as some sort of failure. For a guy who is de-grading a series winning knock of 93* from 91 deliveries in a tight 2 wicket win goes to show the sheer biasness & lack of intellect in their posts. Looking for futile excuses and not even acknowledging consistent and reliable performers. Beating India and Australia more specifically is always special regardless and MuH produced the goods that day which one has to appreciate as a matter of normalcy.

Misbah proved to be a choker when it mattered the most...sorry but he's done & dusted and shouldn't be in the ODI team...I'd rather have an out of form Moyo anyday in his place!!! at least he won't preach tuk tuk tuk and tuk...40 overs later still tuking and tuking...the way he batted in SF cannot get more gutless than that!!! no body would've minded a fighting knock but Mr.MBA had no intentions of winning, only padding up his stats...

enough of that bs...he can do all the tuk tuk he wants in Test cricket and bore us to death there...but in ODIs & T20 he should be a non-starter!!!

and again comparing Misbah to Michael Bevan is yet another insult to the best ODI finisher in history of cricket! as simple as that!

I would not call a half century of any capacity & more so in a semi final encounter "chocking." This is exaggeration. The effectiveness of the innings is questionable from a team perspective but individually he did come good with the bat unlike others in the mega high profile match. If we are saying Misbah "choked" than Miandad and Inzy also chocked in the past and we are insulting other great batsmen by comparing them with them.

:))

^

You clearly have doube standards in your comments. You only seem to be attracted by the big power house flashy type cricketers who have had their fair share of carelessness and controversies in the dynamic world of Pakistan Cricket & think of everyone else as absolute failures in comparison to them. You referred to Azhar Ali negatively as well in another thread and labelled him as some sort of failure. For a guy who is de-grading a series winning knock of 93* from 91 deliveries in a tight 2 wicket win goes to show the sheer biasness & lack of intellect in their posts. Looking for futile excuses and not even acknowledging consistent and reliable performers. Beating India and Australia more specifically is always special regardless and MuH produced the goods that day which one has to appreciate as a matter of normalcy.

Azhar Ali still has a future unlike Misbah. Azhar Ali even if i criticize him still deserves some time unlike Misbah. Azhar Ali can improve unlike Misbah.

I like to dig really deep and beyond the numbers. Like i said, that 93 from 91 balls was decent enough to get us close to the target but it was Sohail Tanvir who delivered the killer punch by smashing Southee for 3 unexpected boundries. If Misbah needed to do it alone, i am pretty certain he would have chocked and Pakistan would have ended 5-10 runs short as his history would testify to it.

Misbah ul Haq is not a consistent/reliable performer. He has most of the times failed in matches which matter most.

I would not call a half century of any capacity & more so in a semi final encounter "chocking." This is exaggeration. The effectiveness of the innings is questionable from a team perspective but individually he did come good with the bat unlike others in the mega high profile match. If we are saying Misbah "choked" than Miandad and Inzy also chocked in the past and we are insulting other great batsmen by comparing them with them.

did you even watch him bat or are you too caught up with Misbah-fan boy stuff?

Inzy & Miandad delivered when it mattered the most, both led us to WC final and Miandad made a crucial 50 in the final as well and Inzy once again played a crucial knock to finish off our innings...these legends won us a WC! what has Misbah done? his useless 50 cost us the match...the pacing of his innings was absolutely criminal...it put pressure on his partners and helped the RRR go north of 7+...ya he surely did come good NOT!!! it would've been better if he had gotten out on 0 for all I care!

did you even watch him bat or are you too caught up with Misbah-fan boy stuff?

Inzy & Miandad delivered when it mattered the most, both led us to WC final and Miandad made a crucial 50 in the final as well and Inzy once again played a crucial knock to finish off our innings...these legends won us a WC! what has Misbah done? his useless 50 cost us the match...the pacing of his innings was absolutely criminal...it put pressure on his partners and helped the RRR go north of 7+...ya he surely did come good NOT!!! it would've been better if he had gotten out on 0 for all I care!

Misbah was part of the squad which won the 2009 ICC World T20. He led Pakistan to their first ever Test series win outside the sub continent after approximately 7 years. He virtually got Pakistan into the final of the 2007 inaugural T20 & got them in with a chance of being on the brink of clinching the title.

Inzy was a mighty fine player but he averaged 3 in the 2003 CWC from 6 matches.

Miandad's innings against India in 1992 and 1996 are even more questionable than Misbah's in Mohali.

Fundamentally you simply do not lose matches solely because a player scored a 50 at a slow rate. If he had been dismissed for a golden duck then I firmly believe the margin of defeat would have been significantly greater.

Misbah was part of the squad which won the 2009 ICC World T20. He led Pakistan to their first ever Test series win outside the sub continent after approximately 7 years. He virtually got Pakistan into the final of the 2007 inaugural T20 & got them in with a chance of being on the brink of clinching the title.

Inzy was a mighty fine player but he averaged 3 in the 2003 CWC from 6 matches.

Miandad's innings against India in 1992 and 1996 are even more questionable than Misbah's in Mohali.

Fundamentally you simply do not lose matches solely because a player scored a 50 at a slow rate. If he had been dismissed for a golden duck then I firmly believe the margin of defeat would have been significantly greater.

Misbah didn't do jack **** in T20 WC '09...

difference b/w Miandad & Misbah...one already won us a WC, while the other remains a loser...simple...and yes Inzi flopped in '03, but he's forgiven because pretty much everyone else didn't do much either in that WC and he's already a WC hero!

and I would've gladly taken a bigger defeat in Semi-Final had I known before hand how gutless our batting approach would be...at least I'd be able to accept India outplayed us completely but it was not the case in Semi-Final...Sorry but we fans deserve better for sticking with this team through thick & thin only to be kicked in the guts like that...Misbah's useless 50 is the most disgraceful innings ever in Pakistan's history...enough said

Vast majority of oppositions would have no problem with Misbah ul Haq being selected for Pakistan and actually being at the batting striking end knowing full well his style of play and history of chocking.

Enough said.

Vast majority of oppositions would have no problem with Misbah ul Haq being selected for Pakistan and actually being at the batting striking end knowing full well his style of play and history of chocking.

Enough said.

The New Zealanders thought differently. They generally thought of him highly & realised the importance of getting his wicket early on. Tim Southee for example voiced his desire to get MuH out in the 2011 CWC Group B encounter & respected his form & class.

If you are labelling MuH as inconsistent then I am not sure whether you know the meaning of the actual term. He is vastly consistent by Pakistani standards at least.

The New Zealanders thought differently. They generally thought of him highly & realised the importance of getting his wicket early on. Tim Southee for example voiced his desire to get MuH out in the 2011 CWC Group B encounter & respected his form & class.

If you are labelling MuH as inconsistent then I am not sure whether you know the meaning of the actual term. He is vastly consistent by Pakistani standards at least.

yup vastly consistent at playing useless innings and choking! spot on!

Misbah has impecable technique, it is amongst the best.

But he has also lost all reflexes and timing. He is an old man, and his reflexes are those of an old man as well. He has been getting worse and worse as time as gone on, since he entered the team at 34 or 35 years old.

Only in Pakistan can you start your international career when most players would be retiring.

But he has also lost all reflexes and timing. He is an old man, and his reflexes are those of an old man as well. He has been getting worse and worse as time as gone on, since he entered the team at 34 or 35 years old.

Only in Pakistan can you start your international career when most players would be retiring.

"Ideally Misbah Ul Haq should have captained Pakistan 6 years ago & the team would have been at the top of their game by now" - Geoff Lawson

Misbah and IMPECCABLE technique? LOL good joke...he has limited shots and is a suspect early on in his innings outside off stump which Brett Lee exploited beautifully in WC round match...1st ball duck!

"Ideally Misbah Ul Haq should have captained Pakistan 6 years ago & the team would have been at the top of their game by now" - Geoff Lawson

I usually agree with a lot of what Geoff says but sorry, Misbah being captain would've been a disaster for the team with his cowardice approach! we did just fine under Inzi...infact that was our golden period of 2000 decade where we were no.2 in Tests and no.3 in ODIs...

I usually agree with a lot of what Geoff says but sorry, Misbah being captain would've been a disaster for the team with his cowardice approach! we did just fine under Inzi...infact that was our golden period of 2000 decade where we were no.2 in Tests and no.3 in ODIs...

Lawson said that Misbah had the “best cricketing brain” in Pakistan, which is no small compliment, and that he deserves the captaincy “but Ideally he should have been captain six years ago.”. He went on to say: “He has a statesman-like demeanour which so many Pakistan captains have lacked and he handles adversity analytically not emotionally. He knows how to get the best out of players and he is a winner, note his outstanding domestic record as a leader”. A very suitable candidate to repair some of the damage Ijaz Butt and some of the players have caused between Pakistan and the international cricketing community.

Misbah and IMPECCABLE technique? LOL good joke...he has limited shots and is a suspect early on in his innings outside off stump which Brett Lee exploited beautifully in WC round match...1st ball duck!

Limited shots? First of all you're wrong. And second, technique has nothing to do with innovative shots.

Yes he got out to Lee because he his reflexes are not great, and his hands are a little slow. Which is what you would expect from a 38 yr old.

But right before the WC in NZ, he scored 4 half centuries in a row, on a swinging track. How did he do this? Through his very solid technique.

But the slower more tricky tracks exposed his inability to time balls well, anymore.

He should retire from ODI's, He's an old man and can't rotate the strike to save his life, Cost us the semi final with that innings.

I'm still bitter about it.

Last edited:
Limited shots? First of all you're wrong. And second, technique has nothing to do with innovative shots.

Yes he got out to Lee because he his reflexes are not great, and his hands are a little slow. Which is what you would expect from a 38 yr old.

But right before the WC in NZ, he scored 4 half centuries in a row, on a swinging track. How did he do this? Through his very solid technique.

But the slower more tricky tracks exposed his inability to time balls well, anymore.

shows how much you know about cricket...swinging tracks? :))) :))) :)))

enough said!

Lawson said that Misbah had the “best cricketing brain” in Pakistan, which is no small compliment, and that he deserves the captaincy “but Ideally he should have been captain six years ago.”. He went on to say: “He has a statesman-like demeanour which so many Pakistan captains have lacked and he handles adversity analytically not emotionally. He knows how to get the best out of players and he is a winner, note his outstanding domestic record as a leader”. A very suitable candidate to repair some of the damage Ijaz Butt and some of the players have caused between Pakistan and the international cricketing community.

best cricketing brain that cost us the semi-final because he was 2 busy analyzing how to score a 50 by blocking his way to it rather than win the match! great stuff! :)))

as for last part, Misbah & a winner??? joke of the month!!!

i think misbah can be in the ODI squad. he can act as the "glue".

probably pakistan should have either younis khan or misbah ul haq, not both.

Why shouldn't he be? Read the thread.

because his negative approach to batting cost us the world cup.

and it wasnt his first time that he played tuk tuk when he shouldve been playing postive cricket and putting the crappy indian bowlers on the backfoot instead of making them feel like they were an All World XI attack.

I'm sorry but the World Cup is the pinnacle of cricket and even though old grandpa was given another undeserving chance at being the go to guy in a difficult situation, he once again proved his worth (or lackthereof)

There should be serious consequences when you cost a team the World Cup. I'm sorry but for a repeat offender of negative mentality batting there are NO MORE excuses and I'm sick of seeing people defending this joke of a batsman.

because his negative approach to batting cost us the world cup.

and it wasnt his first time that he played tuk tuk when he shouldve been playing postive cricket and putting the crappy indian bowlers on the backfoot instead of making them feel like they were an All World XI attack.

I'm sorry but the World Cup is the pinnacle of cricket and even though old grandpa was given another undeserving chance at being the go to guy in a difficult situation, he once again proved his worth (or lackthereof)

There should be serious consequences when you cost a team the World Cup. I'm sorry but for a repeat offender of negative mentality batting there are NO MORE excuses and I'm sick of seeing people defending this joke of a batsman.

this! brilliant post mate! :14:

and oh in Pakistan, a new trend has emerged...you get rewarded handsomely for losing by the Gov't officials! :)))

Last edited:
Well he has now got 2 golden ducks in his last 3 innings with that knock against India in the middle!

No anyway he was unlucky yesterday. It was a freakish dismissal BUT this is not the first time freakish dismissals have been associated with him.

Fully confident he will do well in the ODIs. He has to bat in the top 4 & he can be deadly effective in playing an extended innings by carrying the bat through.

He will want to prove a point or two & come back hard at his critics.

Misbah is the man.

The great warrior Imran Khan has always backed & rated him as a batsmen. That says something significant about his credentials.

Aamir Sohail and others have defended, praised and sympathised with Misbah. Aamir also mentioned that Misbah is the type of player who one cannot criticise as far as his thinking and game plan is concerned. He plays his cricket with a lot of intellect, perspective, clarity, thoughtfulness & methodology. He is a street smart cricketer who is unquestionably outstanding for Pakistani teams he is in with these mindfully advanced assets he possesses. He knows full well what he is doing. He reads match situations and handles proceedings in an expertised manner whether fielding, captaining or batting. One cannot doubt this. One of the reasons I have rated him as an excellent presence in the side to compliment his batting. One of the reasons why he was named captain out of the blue was because of the exceptional leadership qualities and cricketing braininess he has. He has played the most influential part in reforming Pakistan Cricket after the horrific year of 2010 even more than Afridi by a distant mile.

I'll tell you guys the truth.

When Misbah came back as Test Captain, I was a bit shocked but I thought hey let's see what happens. I was fine with him in Tests but as soon as he was part of the ODI team, I saw how back-stepping our batting was going.

Everyone got so happy that Misbah can play out many overs but no one looked at the damn strike rate. We were constantly going at less then four runs per over and unable to post 300+.. So forget playing 50 overs if we can't make big scores.

Misbah can't rotate strike, he dead-bats the ball. No intention there to get the scoreboard ticking. He just tuks tuks his way to a 50 and that too he acheives near the end of the innings. His inability to rotate strike is the reason why we can't score enough damn runs and also why we lost the SF against India.

Also for the people saying that Misbah had a game-plan that match.. we saw how it turned out so please don't make excuses and say he knew what he was doing.

EVERY OTHER TEAM KNOWS HOW TO PLAY ODI CRICKET. The other day I was watching Highlights of Bangladesh vs Aus and even they made 280+ and could rotate strike! Bangladesh!

Ponting,Sangakaraa,Jayawardene,Watson,Smith,Amla,AB de villiers, Ghambhir,Kohli,Sachin,Sehwag,Dhoni,Raina,Yuvraj,Dilshan,Ryder,McCullum,Hussey,Haddin,Clarke,
and many many more int'l batsmen who all have the ability to take their team to 300+ scores for one reason. They can rotate strike!

Misbah just does this tuk tuk tuk tuk tuk then MAYBE a single.

That's why I have no respect for Misbah, I used to think he was okay.. but seriously disappointing stuff!

260 equation was simple! If he had paced his innings properly then Pak would have finished the match in the 45th over.

ALSO THIS BS EXCUSE FOR HIM TRYING TO DRAW THE MATCH CLOSE IS NONSENSE.

I bet you if Punter was chasing 260 he'd want to finish it off as quickly as possible. WHO THE HECK SAYS HEY GUYS LETS GET CLOSE. NOOOO!

The mind-set of champions is to knock it off quickly and not leave it to the end.

So Misbah SHOULD not be in the ODI team! Please delete this thread because I swear it's utterly driving me and many other CRICKET fans insane.

Champs don't make excuses, they win. Nuff Said.

He kept them in it & gave himself a chance to set himself and unleash later. The power hitters could have done much better. 3 50s in 6 innings at the WC and a vital 37 against Canada when others failed. He did well at the WC. Others let him down. I agree with Aamir Sohail & Imran Khan on this one. He individually fired n played his role. He got them close. Others failed. Misbah will fire today. Ideally, he should be captain in all formats for the next 18 months IMO.

With the way he has assisted the leadership & guidance of the side & the way he has reformed Pakistan's results and atmosphere in the dressing room since his comeback warrants him a place in the ODI side on this factor alone for however longer he wants to play and is capable of playing.

I'll tell you guys the truth.

When Misbah came back as Test Captain, I was a bit shocked but I thought hey let's see what happens. I was fine with him in Tests but as soon as he was part of the ODI team, I saw how back-stepping our batting was going.

Everyone got so happy that Misbah can play out many overs but no one looked at the damn strike rate. We were constantly going at less then four runs per over and unable to post 300+.. So forget playing 50 overs if we can't make big scores.

Misbah can't rotate strike, he dead-bats the ball. No intention there to get the scoreboard ticking. He just tuks tuks his way to a 50 and that too he acheives near the end of the innings. His inability to rotate strike is the reason why we can't score enough damn runs and also why we lost the SF against India.

Also for the people saying that Misbah had a game-plan that match.. we saw how it turned out so please don't make excuses and say he knew what he was doing.

EVERY OTHER TEAM KNOWS HOW TO PLAY ODI CRICKET. The other day I was watching Highlights of Bangladesh vs Aus and even they made 280+ and could rotate strike! Bangladesh!

Ponting,Sangakaraa,Jayawardene,Watson,Smith,Amla,AB de villiers, Ghambhir,Kohli,Sachin,Sehwag,Dhoni,Raina,Yuvraj,Dilshan,Ryder,McCullum,Hussey,Haddin,Clarke,
and many many more int'l batsmen who all have the ability to take their team to 300+ scores for one reason. They can rotate strike!

Misbah just does this tuk tuk tuk tuk tuk then MAYBE a single.

That's why I have no respect for Misbah, I used to think he was okay.. but seriously disappointing stuff!

260 equation was simple! If he had paced his innings properly then Pak would have finished the match in the 45th over.

ALSO THIS BS EXCUSE FOR HIM TRYING TO DRAW THE MATCH CLOSE IS NONSENSE.

I bet you if Punter was chasing 260 he'd want to finish it off as quickly as possible. WHO THE HECK SAYS HEY GUYS LETS GET CLOSE. NOOOO!

The mind-set of champions is to knock it off quickly and not leave it to the end.

So Misbah SHOULD not be in the ODI team! Please delete this thread because I swear it's utterly driving me and many other CRICKET fans insane.

Champs don't make excuses, they win. Nuff Said.

Strike rotation is not that big of an issue for him at all as he can comfortably make up for it with some quick lusty boundary hits once he is fully settled and is set to go on and start controlling proceedings out there in the middle by expanding his shot selection & overall game plan. He assesses the situation properly and can change gears easily. The rate is not a problem. He gets the job done with regularity. Enough said. A more than useful asset in the ODI side. It's not all about strike rate. 50 overs is a long time for a player to make an impact. Just look at Kallis or Trott or Dravid in the past. MuH is capable of clearing the ropes too.

MUH shouldnt be in the ODI team and nor should YK.

Time to move forward and not remain in the past!

MUH shouldnt be in the ODI team and nor should YK.

Time to move forward and not remain in the past!

Cannot drop the current Test Captain and successful vice captain of the ODI side from the format.

What about grooming and assisting the youngsters?

However, I am disappointed not to see Azhar Ali in the ODI team. He should have been here.

Strike rotation is not that big of an issue for him at all as he can comfortably make up for it with some quick lusty boundary hits once he is fully settled and is set to go on and start controlling proceedings out there in the middle by expanding his shot selection & overall game plan. He assesses the situation properly and can change gears easily. The rate is not a problem. He gets the job done with regularity. Enough said. A more than useful asset in the ODI side. It's not all about strike rate. 50 overs is a long time for a player to make an impact. Just look at Kallis or Trott or Dravid in the past. MuH is capable of clearing the ropes too.

Strike Rotation is key for everyone! That's why Misbah hasn't even scored a ton yet! You can't depend on boundaries buddy! The middle overs are there for a reason.

If you say Strike Rotation is not an issue for a cricketer then I seriously have doubts on your Cricketing Knowledge.
Kallis and Trott rotate strike and thats why they have above 50 and have ODI tons! They don't rely on boundaries but strike rotation.

First of all... Despite what happened during the World cup in Mohali v India - I'm still a fan of Misbah despite not admiring...

• His approach v bowlers in the ODI's despite him needing to bed more attacking.

• Him being used in T20s.

However it's vital to have a player like Misbah in the ODI side - his style of play gives the side combination and variety as it's important to have batsmen in the side who are attacking AND defensive.

Misbah plays in a important role for Pakistan in the ODI's which is to be defensive and have a mind set of forming a partnership till the very end, quite simliar like Moyo and YK use to do back in the days - there's no doubt that the role Misbah is playing in has been good for him as he hasn't been dissapointing, the average speaks for itself.

However I still believe that his style of play is more suited to the longer format of the game and it's the ideal format to see the best out of him - and I just hope he can up the pace of his game when there's a situation of Pakistan needing to up their RR to match it with opponents RR.

Afridi's comments on Misbah after the game...

Misbah proved that he is still alive and doing a great job!"

top stuff :)).

First of all... Despite what happened during the World cup in Mohali v India - I'm still a fan of Misbah despite not admiring...

• His approach v bowlers in the ODI's despite him needing to bed more attacking.

• Him being used in T20s.

However it's vital to have a player like Misbah in the ODI side - his style of play gives the side combination and variety as it's important to have batsmen in the side who are attacking AND defensive.

Misbah plays in a important role for Pakistan in the ODI's which is to be defensive and have a mind set of forming a partnership till the very end, quite simliar like Moyo and YK use to do back in the days - there's no doubt that the role Misbah is playing in has been good for him as he hasn't been dissapointing, the average speaks for itself.

However I still believe that his style of play is more suited to the longer format of the game and it's the ideal format to see the best out of him - and I just hope he can up the pace of his game when there's a situation of Pakistan needing to up their RR to match it with opponents RR.

Afridi's comments on Misbah after the game...

top stuff :)).

Theo, you seem like a sensible person :sami

However, I seriously am against Misbah playing ODI's due to the fact that against top teams our run rate will be under 5

He should have batted at 4 in WC too. The solid batter HAS to be in the top 4. Mohali could have been a different story had Afridi and the management utilised him properly. Prevents pressure building up in the first place. Helps him command the game forward from the front and make a bigger impact as a top class experienced batter.

Theo, you seem like a sensible person :sami

However, I seriously am against Misbah playing ODI's due to the fact that against top teams our run rate will be under 5

I understand your frustation - it was a pain to see him play so defensively against our arch rivals India in such a big stage which comes every 4 years, he left it too late and I'm more then certain that he has realised his mistake.

There's no doubt that he can transform his natural approach to attacking when it's needed as the likes of Moyo and YK have done it before as we have witnessed it from Misbah before where he made around 90 against NZ, in one of the one day matches - just needs to be consistent when doing that and I'm pretty sure many PP'ers will have a different view on him.

Boomboomcricket - had Afridi and the managementutilised him properly

If the PCB can't utilise a quality player like Razzaq properly then how on earth would they utilise other players?

Last edited:
Strike Rotation is key for everyone! That's why Misbah hasn't even scored a ton yet! You can't depend on boundaries buddy! The middle overs are there for a reason.

If you say Strike Rotation is not an issue for a cricketer then I seriously have doubts on your Cricketing Knowledge.
Kallis and Trott rotate strike and thats why they have above 50 and have ODI tons! They don't rely on boundaries but strike rotation.

They can rotate the strike & so can Misbah to some extent BUT there are times when you keep one end closed with a clear mind and build partnerships and set a base for later on which is ultimately the key. I think you have been watching too much Twenty20 cricket & have got carried away with the IPL season with all the flashy fast paced SRs.

Who do you want to see Misbah replaced with in ODIs? Who will be vice captain of the team? Who will groom the youngsters? How will Misbah gain any form and confidence ahead of Test Cricketing assignments if he is not playing regularly in small formats so he can ease his way in and acclimatize to the conditions?

He has not been batting in the top 4. The single biggest reason for not registering 3 figures yet. You need to realise his effectiveness has not been managed well. He deserves more time and responsibility with his style of operation. Now he has got it. He should get his ton soon.

:))) :))) :)))

day by day your cricketing intelligence is declining...I guess that's what happens when you are a Miss-BLAH fan :facepalm:

serious lulz man at the bolded part :))) - It might not be a big issue for him (totally disagree with that btw), but what about the pressure that builds up on the guy at the other end?
Strike rotation is more than just picking up singles here and there, it's about how you manipulate the field and not allowing the bowler settle against the same batsmen. If one stays stuck at one end for, let's say...4 deliveries in an over and then picks up a single on the 5th; then the pressure is on the other batsmen to achieve the rate required in one ball - this was the biggest mistake Misbah and Younis made in that Semi Final, and eventually put more pressure on the likes of Shafiq, Akmal and Afridi who then had to take risks which unfortunately didn't pay off.

I understand your frustation - it was a pain to see him play so defensively against our arch rivals India in such a big stage which comes every 4 years, he left it too late and I'm more then certain that he has realised his mistake.

There's no doubt that he can transform his natural approach to attacking when it's needed as the likes of Moyo and YK have done it before as we have witnessed it from Misbah before where he made around 90 against NZ, in one of the one day matches - just needs to be consistent when doing that and I'm pretty sure many PP'ers will have a different view on him.

If the PCB can't utilise a quality player like Razzaq properly then how on earth would they utilise other players?

I mean yeah Misbah had a good game or two, I'll give him that.

Guy is 36 though and I doubt he will suddenly start making drastic changes in his aggression this late in his career and if he does it won't be for long.

Out of the sheer fact of seniority is in the team.. otherwise it would be a youngster-dominated team :hammad

We need an experinced-campaigner, but with Misbah USUALLY dead-batting the ball is that really something youngsters should learn?

In my opinion Malik n Yousuf were two solid middle over batsmen who knew how to pick the ones n twos and hit the odd boundary. Misbah doesn't always realize the value of middle overs where you should be milking the runs rather then wasting valuable balls.

Against a second string Windies Attack while chasing a low total.

Where was this "Plan" against India?

He failed when it mattered most and bashing minnows isn't going to change my mind.

Second string bowling side? They are a second string batting side alright but there bowling is the same as before more or less!

They have Roach and the emerging leg spinner who has made an impressive impact.

Even the greatest batsmen the country had ever produced (Miandad) collapsed under pressure in high profile matches against India and he was even more experienced in terms of his international tenure than Misbah!

MuH had a plan against India BUT he was an alone soul. He delivered. He kept them in it. The team faltered. It was expected considering the lack of innovation and flexibility in the batting order throughout the WC.

It was mainly due to a lack of captaincy and managerial skills we lost that fixture against India. Shot selection from other batsmen was also under the firing line. I agree with the past legends of the 1992 triumph as far as Misbah's knock is concerned-it was a smart innings which looked uglier than it was by the fans reaction but the intention and approach was right. Others around him did not click when they could have i.e. Afridi, Razzaq and even Umar to some extent.

Who do you want to see Misbah replaced with in ODIs? Who will be vice captain of the team? Who will groom the youngsters? How will Misbah gain any form and confidence ahead of Test Cricketing assignments if he is not playing regularly in small formats so he can ease his way in and acclimatize to the conditions?

Being Vice-Captain shouldn't guarantee you a spot in the team! No player is undroppable from the playing XI..

Second string bowling side? They are a second string batting side alright but there bowling is the same as before more or less!

They have Roach and the emerging leg spinner who has made an impressive impact.

Even the greatest batsmen the country had ever produced (Miandad) collapsed under pressure in high profile matches against India and he was even more experienced in terms of his international tenure than Misbah!

MuH had a plan against India BUT he was an alone soul. He delivered. He kept them in it. The team faltered. It was expected considering the lack of innovation and flexibility in the batting order throughout the WC.

It was mainly due to a lack of captaincy and managerial skills we lost that fixture against India. Shot selection from other batsmen was also under the firing line. I agree with the past legends of the 1992 triumph as far as Misbah's knock is concerned-it was a smart innings which looked uglier than it was by the fans reaction but the intention and approach was right. Others around him did not click when they could have i.e. Afridi, Razzaq and even Umar to some extent.

Maaz the guy ate up all the deliveres. Umar would take a single first ball and then the rest were blocked out. What did that do? Create pressure..

The team faltered because he himself created pressure.

he came in when the RRR was more then managable... yet he escalted it himself.

serious lulz man at the bolded part :))) - It might not be a big issue for him (totally disagree with that btw), but what about the pressure that builds up on the guy at the other end?
Strike rotation is more than just picking up singles here and there, it's about how you manipulate the field and not allowing the bowler settle against the same batsmen. If one stays stuck at one end for, let's say...4 deliveries in an over and then picks up a single on the 5th; then the pressure is on the other batsmen to achieve the rate required in one ball - this was the biggest mistake Misbah and Younis made in that Semi Final, and eventually put more pressure on the likes of Shafiq, Akmal and Afridi who then had to take risks which unfortunately didn't pay off.

You were spot on my friend! Exactly what I have been saying!!

This could very well be his last Series as an ODI player. Besides a quick trip to Belfast, no more ODI cricket till Oct/Nov.

You need to watch the highlights of the match against India again seriously. Razzaq, Umar & Afridi can manage run rates with ease. Keeping wickets in hand was the key at that stage. Umar got bowled by a doosra from around the wicket. He simply did not pick it and was only looking to dab a single. Razzaq got bowled looking to defend a leg cutter. Afridi could not dispatch a full toss. All of these batsmen are at their own fault. It was not as if pressure had been built on them which led to their dismissals.

Maaz the guy ate up all the deliveres. Umar would take a single first ball and then the rest were blocked out. What did that do? Create pressure..

The team faltered because he himself created pressure.

he came in when the RRR was more then managable... yet he escalted it himself.

Watch the legend speak. It will save me writing. Watch all of this video. I totally agree with what he has said here.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ifPC7sT-S8A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

You were spot on my friend! Exactly what I have been saying!!

It's ironic if you think about it. The kid you are agreeing with is a diehard Azhar Ali fan. Is his strike rotation significantly better Boi?

We need an experinced-campaigner, but with Misbah USUALLY dead-batting the ball is that really something youngsters should learn?In my opinion Malik n Yousuf were two solid middle over batsmen who knew how to pick the ones n twos and hit the odd boundary. Misbah doesn't always realize the value of middle overs where you should be milking the runs rather then wasting valuable balls.

Learning how to deliberately underperform, create rifts in the team & conspire against captains is something youngsters should learn? Unfortunately in Pakistan Cricket more than cricketing factors have to be taken into consideration when making selection based decisions regarding the future.

Grooming is not something technical necessarily. It's more about mental, psychological aspects which can be passed on. Here MuH is key. He plays his cricket with more intellect and brains than any other member in the given squad.

Learning how to deliberately underperform, create rifts in the team & conspire against captains is something youngsters should learn? Unfortunately in Pakistan Cricket more than cricketing factors have to be taken into consideration when making selection based decisions regarding the future.

Grooming is not something technical necessarily. It's more about mental, psychological aspects which can be passed on. Here MuH is key. He plays his cricket with more intellect and brains than any other member in the given squad.

Have you ever seen Malik bat? His 100 against India in the champions trophy for example is a prime example of strike rotation along side MoYo...

Being Vice-Captain shouldn't guarantee you a spot in the team! No player is undroppable from the playing XI..

A player who has scored 6 half centuries in his last 12 ODI innings is droppable? 4 of these were in winning causes & 3 of them were where he managed to successfully carry the bat right through?

Have you ever seen Malik bat? His 100 against India in the champions trophy for example is a prime example of strike rotation along side MoYo...

I am not doubting his ability to rotate the strike. I dislike like the guy for non cricketing terms. Sometimes that overshadows everything else.

If YK had been batting at 3 and MuH at 4 in Mohali things could have planned out differently. They would have had more time to apply themselves and prevent the RR pressure from mounting in the first place. The game was 65/35 in India's favour by the time MuH walked at the crease as far as I am concerned knowing how he was going to plan and the inconsistency which followed.

Its true Maaz he has had a lot of half-centuries but have you noticed that our over-all run rate declines to under 5 everytime he usually bats.

Today was a rare exception.

Its true Maaz he has had a lot of half-centuries but have you noticed that our over-all run rate declines to under 5 everytime he usually bats.

Today was a rare exception.

That is more to do with the effectiveness of where he is batting. What else do you expect when he is coming in during a crisis and being asked to do the rescue job time and time again? There is more to batting in ODI cricket than run rates and SRs anyway.

That is more to do with the effectiveness of where he is batting. What else do you expect when he is coming in during a crisis and being asked to do the rescue job time and time again? There is more to batting in ODI cricket than run rates and SRs anyway.

Okay then explain why Pakistan can't score 300+ totals anymore?

Everytime the number 5 batsmen comes in we all think its a crisis.

The best way to get out of a crisis is to rotate strike and take the pressure off. That's how the real batting champs like Australian and Indians play.

Okay then explain why Pakistan can't score 300+ totals anymore?

Everytime the number 5 batsmen comes in we all think its a crisis.

The best way to get out of a crisis is to rotate strike and take the pressure off. That's how the real batting champs like Australian and Indians play.

One of the principle reasons is they have their soild anchor role accumulators who are capable of playing a long innings batting in the top 4. Finally Misbah batted at 4 today. Now you will see the results.

One of the principle reasons is they have their soild anchor role accumulators who are capable of playing a long innings batting in the top 4. Finally Misbah batted at 4 today. Now you will see the results.

Anchor? These guys don't go at strike rates of 60.. they play fluent innings and get a move on.. they don't think of the just the first and last 10 overs.. they think about the whole 50 overs and how to maximize runs instead of just waiting for the 3rd batting powerplay.

Hussey has come in many crisis situations at 5 and has led his team to victory and thats why he is Mr.Cricket.

And someone like Misbah can be never compared to him as I think you did earlier.

It's ironic if you think about it. The kid you are agreeing with is a diehard Azhar Ali fan. Is his strike rotation significantly better Boi?

:)))

What on earth does Azhar Ali have todo with this? He's a newcomer who hasn't even cemented his spot in the TEST side - where strike rotation isn't as important as in LOIs - and has ALOT to learn; whereas, Misbah, is supposed to be a 'senior' in ALL formats guiding the youngsters - he himself should've put up a better show than what he did in the semi final, but instead bottled it when it mattered most.

Last edited:
Back