Will Australia become an average side once their legends retire?

mominsaigol

Test Debutant
Runs
Post of the Week
I made a thread on Indian cricket team on whether they would become an average side once their legends (Kohli, Rohit, Bumrah, Shami, Jadeja, Ashwin) retire.

Now it's time to make a thread about Australia. This may come as a supriae considering the Aussies just won an odi world cup for the 6th time, and went on the longest odi winning streak however recently they've been faltering with many elementary mistakes in the field as well as some of their legends getting old and are worn out.

In recent times it seems to be Travis head or bust for the team, so the question remains. Will Australia become an average team once their current legends retire? (Steve Smith, Mitchell Starc, Pat Cummins, Travis Head, Glenn Maxwell, Nathan Lyon, Adam Zampa?)

In my opinion, I don't think batting will be affected, as new buds like Jake fraser will bloom eventually, but I do think Bowling will take a hit, Very difficult to find players who can develop into prime Starc, Pat Cummins etc)

Australia has a very strong system. In the 80s they faced a similar crisis but then rebuilt their team. Similarly in the mid-late 90s, once again they were building a team.

After 2008 they hit a similar phase with multiple legends retiring.

They will keep plugging the gaps and rebuild.

They might struggle for 2-3 yrs but will be back up to the top of the chain.

Nah, good domestic system will ensure that good players will keep coming.

Australia has a very strong system. In the 80s they faced a similar crisis but then rebuilt their team. Similarly in the mid-late 90s, once again they were building a team.

After 2008 they hit a similar phase with multiple legends retiring.

They will keep plugging the gaps and rebuild.

They might struggle for 2-3 yrs but will be back up to the top of the chain.
Agreed, I've seen the system first hand. In terms of fitness, Hard work, Coaches their the top of the table. And will always remain top 3 best teams in the world

Agreed, I've seen the system first hand. In terms of fitness, Hard work, Coaches their the top of the table. And will always remain top 3 best teams in the world
Name me 5 players in domestic you feel that can be replacements for Smith, Hazelwood, Starc, Khawaja and Nathan Lyon. All of these players are going to be retiring in the next 1 to 3 years.

In reality, Australia can't even find a suitable replacement for Warner and have to push Travis Head to replace him as opener in Test even though that's not his role. There's a significant lack of talent in Australia's domestic at the moment.

Their Sheffield Shield standouts for the last 3 seasons includes the same old names of Bancroft, Handscome and Marcus Harris for batters and for bowlers it gets even worse, Nathan Mcandrew, Mark Steketee and Chris Tremain.

They have no young fast bowlers coming up and no young batters to replace the old, the next 5 years of Australian cricket will have to rely heavily upon Cummins and Labuschagne.

India, australia and some extent England won't become average sides just because great players retired .tbey simply have strong system to produce another great players to replace them.

Name me 5 players in domestic you feel that can be replacements for Smith, Hazelwood, Starc, Khawaja and Nathan Lyon. All of these players are going to be retiring in the next 1 to 3 years.

In reality, Australia can't even find a suitable replacement for Warner and have to push Travis Head to replace him as opener in Test even though that's not his role. There's a significant lack of talent in Australia's domestic at the moment.

Their Sheffield Shield standouts for the last 3 seasons includes the same old names of Bancroft, Handscome and Marcus Harris for batters and for bowlers it gets even worse, Nathan Mcandrew, Mark Steketee and Chris Tremain.

They have no young fast bowlers coming up and no young batters to replace the old, the next 5 years of Australian cricket will have to rely heavily upon Cummins and Labuschagne.
Lol, You'd have said the same inn 2009 🤣🤣. Hindsight is a thing

Unlike your take on India, i say Australia have a good streamlined system. They just won the under-19 world cup after 14 years. They generally take time to evolve. Head, Hayden lot of these guys struggled initially then came back strongly. You just need eleven decent players. So population theory makes zero sense. There will be a lull much like India had post Dravid/Sachin/Laxman

And yet, Aus will be producing very good cricketers in the next 10 years. Domestic system is a good one.

Some thought that after McGrath/Gillespie/Warne retire Aus bolwing will be not lethal. But Cummins/Starc/Hazlewood/Lyon/Harris/Johnson .... Individually they are not as good as McGrath or Warne, but collectively Aus had one of the best bolwing sides in the last 10 years. Smith played in same era and he can be argued as the 2nd best Aus batsman to play for Aus.

Aus will keep producing good players due to great domestic system. Yes, there can be 2-3 years of gap some time, but over a period they will produce enough top class players.

Lol, You'd have said the same inn 2009 🤣🤣. Hindsight is a thing
Do you remember 2009? There was a plethora of young talented batsman in domestic including Khawaja,Steve Smith, Phil Hughes, Chris Rogers, Michael klinger, David Hussey, Ed Cowan and even Marcus North.

You can say in hindsight players like Smith, Khawaja and Chris Rogers were the gems of the lot but all these batman and significant runs and great averages to boast in domestic in 2009. Steve Smith averaged 77 in the 2009/10 season when he was only 20.

Currently, Australia doesn't have any of these young outstanding batters in their domestic. Can you name any? I'll be happy to be proved wrong, who is player that even remotely looks like he can be a good test batsman let alone a great batsman that is under the age of 25.

Aus will keep producing good players due to great domestic system. Yes, there can be 2-3 years of gap some time, but over a period they will produce enough top class players.
Aus got whitewashed In 2013 ind tour. They ran ind close for their money in 2017 tour and won the series in 2014.lost 2013 ashes in eng and blanked them in next series.Few away tough tours will be lost in transition but will be up and running in 3 to 4 years again

Do you remember 2009? There was a plethora of young talented batsman in domestic including Khawaja,Steve Smith, Phil Hughes, Chris Rogers, Michael klinger, David Hussey, Ed Cowan and even Marcus North.

You can say in hindsight players like Smith, Khawaja and Chris Rogers were the gems of the lot but all these batman and significant runs and great averages to boast in domestic in 2009. Steve Smith averaged 77 in the 2009/10 season when he was only 20.

Currently, Australia doesn't have any of these young outstanding batters in their domestic. Can you name any? I'll be happy to be proved wrong, who is player that even remotely looks like he can be a good test batsman let alone a great batsman that is under the age of 25.
Let's have this conversation in 5 years yeah?

I made a thread on Indian cricket team on whether they would become an average side once their legends (Kohli, Rohit, Bumrah, Shami, Jadeja, Ashwin) retire.

Now it's time to make a thread about Australia. This may come as a supriae considering the Aussies just won an odi world cup for the 6th time, and went on the longest odi winning streak however recently they've been faltering with many elementary mistakes in the field as well as some of their legends getting old and are worn out.

In recent times it seems to be Travis head or bust for the team, so the question remains. Will Australia become an average team once their current legends retire? (Steve Smith, Mitchell Starc, Pat Cummins, Travis Head, Glenn Maxwell, Nathan Lyon, Adam Zampa?)

In my opinion, I don't think batting will be affected, as new buds like Jake fraser will bloom eventually, but I do think Bowling will take a hit, Very difficult to find players who can develop into prime Starc, Pat Cummins etc)
The Aus domestic structure is strong - so Aus will never ever fall off the radar. The batting will always get pretty good substitutions. And will say the bowling unit they have had for a while - starc Cummins hazlewood zampa lyon - is one of the best in world cricket in a long time. And all are of similar age. Will be a tough gig to replace them. That probably would translate to Aus winning fewer ICC events ir not being as dominant in them as before. The next gen Aus bowlers are not on par with the above. Having said that- they will be in the top 3 atleast for the next 30 or will take a punt and say even 50 years!

All the future icc events will be won by one of these 3 teams - Aus eng ind. Any other team winning would be a one off upset. And within the next 10 years- i only see Aus eng ind playing test cricket with T20 being the major player

Back