"You are a second tier team, admit it": Bazid Khan

FearlessRoar

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
Bazid Khan, while speaking on a TV show:

"I mean, accidents don't happen overnight; they take time. Pakistan's struggles are evident across all formats. In Test cricket, you can't win a home series; you're nowhere in Test cricket because you're a second-tier team, not a top-tier one."

"Let's move on to ODI; in the World Cup, you're again a second-tier team. Now, T20I cricket is left; you've been a Finalist and Semi-Finalist, but results speak louder than words."

"We're not saying it; the results show where your team stands. You're a second-tier team; admit it. You claim, 'Our bowling and batting are fantastic,' but what are the results? What's the bottom line? The bottom line is that you're struggling in Test cricket, ODI, and T20Is."

Bazid Khan, while speaking on a pitch side during the 1st Test between Bangladesh and Pakistan:

"We discussed this on a show during the World Cup; they [Pakistan] are not in the top tier of international cricket, so they are second-tier in white-ball cricket and Test cricket."

Yes, we can say they are a very talented side, but they are nowhere near the likes of South Africa, even New Zealand, India, Australia, so we are actually in the second tier."

"That acceptance has come; either we are still thinking we are a reverse swing team, and that's not happening. We don't have express pace; we don't have quality spinners either."

"So, in red-ball cricket, we have been struggling for a while, and the acceptance has to come to really look into this and make sure, and not only should your goals be set realistically, but also, the fact that you have to pay extra attention to red-ball and white-ball cricket. ODI cricket, you are lagging behind; T20 World Cup, that's in front of you. So, the acceptance of being not a top-tier side, which we always associate Pakistan with, that also has to come."

Bazid Khan must be out of his mind if he thinks Pakistan is a 2nd tier team. 2nd ther teams don’t lost to minnows on regular basis. Pakistan is at best a 3rd tier team…that too when taking a historic approach in assessing this team. Going by recent results, it’s a bono fide minnow.

I agree.This would visually differentiate top-tier from lower-tier teams.

Who will be the number 6 team in the top tier..I don't think Pakistan at the moment deserve that spot.

Splitting 6/6 is a good idea but there needs to be a relegation promotion system. I.e after a certain period the bottom team of top 6 goes to the lower section and vice versa the top team comes up to the upper section

Thank you Bazid for stating the obvious which even a fan can state. What is your solution?

Have a Relegation/ Promotion System: Bottom Two and Top Two Rel/Pro

Division 1:
- Australia
- India (Top Two make 3-match WTC Final)
- England
- New Zealand
-------------------
- Sri Lanka
- South Africa (bottom two relegated)

Division 2:
- Bangladesh (Top Two promoted and maybe their own 3-match final?)
- Pakistan
-------------------
- West Indies
- Zimbabwe
- Ireland
- Afghanistan

Two Massive Pros:
- This would likely ensure that a) Everyone plays everyone and b) Everyone plays the same number of WTC matches. Everyone can play 3 matches vs everyone that counts towards WTC. So if Aus and Eng play a 5-match series than only the first three matches count towards WTC. so everyone plays 15 matches in a 2-year WTC cycle.

6 points for a win, 3 points for a Draw/No result/ Tie, 0 points for a loss. None of this relying on PCT complicated things.

Cons:
- Hardly Anyone is going to watch any of those Division 2 matches, probably including the fans of those Division 2 teams. Which would mean less money I guess.
- The gap between Zimbabwe, Ireland, Afghanistan and every other team is simply too big imo

Have a Relegation/ Promotion System: Bottom Two and Top Two Rel/Pro

Division 1:
- Australia
- India (Top Two make 3-match WTC Final)
- England
- New Zealand
-------------------
- Sri Lanka
- South Africa (bottom two relegated)

Division 2:
- Bangladesh (Top Two promoted and maybe their own 3-match final?)
- Pakistan
-------------------
- West Indies
- Zimbabwe
- Ireland
- Afghanistan

Two Massive Pros:
- This would likely ensure that a) Everyone plays everyone and b) Everyone plays the same number of WTC matches. Everyone can play 3 matches vs everyone that counts towards WTC. So if Aus and Eng play a 5-match series than only the first three matches count towards WTC. so everyone plays 15 matches in a 2-year WTC cycle.

6 points for a win, 3 points for a Draw/No result/ Tie, 0 points for a loss. None of this relying on PCT complicated things.

Cons:
- Hardly Anyone is going to watch any of those Division 2 matches, probably including the fans of those Division 2 teams. Which would mean less money I guess.
- The gap between Zimbabwe, Ireland, Afghanistan and every other team is simply too big imo
Oh no we have a problem.

You cant have 6 teams in one division, it needs to be an odd number of teams. Since teams only play each other either home or away and not both and so for 6 teams this means everyone would play 3 home and 2 away eg which is not even.

What now then? Either a) Have division 1 be 7 teams and division 2 5 teams? But then that would mean almost noyone would have an interest in following Division 2.

So honestly, if we want everyone to play everyone and have the same number of test matches, then I think b) it would be best to reduce number of nations with test status to 7... Yeah

Oh no we have a problem.

You cant have 6 teams in one division, it needs to be an odd number of teams. Since teams only play each other either home or away and not both and so for 6 teams this means everyone would play 3 home and 2 away eg which is not even.

What now then? Either a) Have division 1 be 7 teams and division 2 5 teams? But then that would mean almost noyone would have an interest in following Division 2.

So honestly, if we want everyone to play everyone and have the same number of test matches, then I think b) it would be best to reduce number of nations with test status to 7... Yeah
You sure you have your math right haha 6 teams can most certainly play each other an equal amount of times with the same number of home and away games.

You sure you have your math right haha 6 teams can most certainly play each other an equal amount of times with the same number of home and away games.
Yeah I immediately realised that and I said the alternatives in my next post.

If someone wants to have an even number of matches, I think it would be best to reduce to 7 teams at this point

Yeah I immediately realised that and I said the alternatives in my next post.

If someone wants to have an even number of matches, I think it would be best to reduce to 7 teams at this point

If you reduce to 7 teams, West Indies are likely to lose Test status.

If you reduce to 7 teams, West Indies are likely to lose Test status.
Yes exactly, I would remove test status from West Indies and either Pakistan or Bangladesh (as well as removing test status from Afg, Ire, Zim)

Pakistan is not even a second tier team atm if you look at the recent performances. Losing to ZIMBABWE, Ireland, Afghanistan, USA, and now Bangladesh.

They have ticked all the boxes to be a minnow-level team atm.

Pakistan has not been a top tier team in any format since 2012. What's new in this?

It's just that they used to perform marginally better than the other second tier teams like Sri Lanka, West Indies, BD etc. And now even that factor is gone and they've fallen down to the rock bottom of that second tier as well.

Back