Younis Khan vs Rahul Dravid in Tests

Diabolical comparison. As bad as comparing Tendulkar and Inzamam.

Tendulkar, Gavaskar, Dravid, and Kohli are better than any batsman Pakistan has ever produced. Such comparisons are foolish.

Tendulkar
Gavaskar
Sangakkara
Dravid
Kohli

We have never produced a batsman who can be compared with these batsmen. In other words, in spite of being a major Asian team, we don't have any batsman worthy of being top 5 material from Asia.

Same situation as Indian and Sri Lankan pacers.

Last edited:
Few days earlier you guys are comparing Adam nobody Voges with younis khan and now comparing Dravid with Yk is a sin, WOW mate double strandards at their peak, Mamoon and The odd one think about it

sangakkara is the biggest minnow basher, Minadad is better than him Mamoon, I think you lack crickting knowledge or i am a fool

Few days earlier you guys are comparing Adam nobody Voges with younis khan and now comparing Dravid with Yk is a sin, WOW mate double strandards at their peak, Mamoon and The odd one think about it

You are confusing me with Junaids. He compared Voges to Younis, I didn't.

Voges is a nobody compared to Younis.

sangakkara is the biggest minnow basher, Minadad is better than him Mamoon, I think you lack crickting knowledge or i am a fool

Miandad is Pakistan's best batsman, that much we can agree. If you think Sangakkara is a minnow basher, you are the one who lacks cricketing knowledge. However, please don't call yourself a fool.

Sangakarra was the undisputed #1 batsman in the world after 2005. Tests and ODIs combined, none has scored more runs than Sangakarra from 2005 till he retired.

In tests, he scored 9K runs in 90 matches at an average of 61. Averaged 51 in Australia, 46 in England, and 49 in SA. Overall, he averaged 62 vs Australia, 45 vs England, and 53 vs SA.

In ODIs, he scored 11K runs in 281 matches at an average of 45.

He scored 20k+ runs with 53 100s 108 50s in both formats combined in 10 years.

He was anything but a minnow basher.

I personally feel younus is at dravids level. If you compare the stats then both are similar. Even away matches record is similar. Dravid is probably slightly better but younis is still a great.

Younis Khan is just as legendary a test batsman as 'The Wall', it's time people accept this fact and stop pretending otherwise. The top ten Asian test batsmen:

1) Sachin Tendulker
2) Sunil Gavasker
3) Javed Miandad
4) Kumar Sangakkara
5) Younis Khan
6) Rahul Dravid
7) Inzamam-ul-Haq
8) Mahela Jayawardene
9) Mohammad Yousuf
10) VVS Laxman

Don't think anyone can disagree with this list. Each and every single batsman here is either an ATG or a great.

Younis Khan is just as legendary a test batsman as 'The Wall', it's time people accept this fact and stop pretending otherwise. The top ten Asian test batsmen:

1) Sachin Tendulker
2) Sunil Gavasker
3) Javed Miandad
4) Kumar Sangakkara
5) Younis Khan
6) Rahul Dravid
7) Inzamam-ul-Haq
8) Mahela Jayawardene
9) Mohammad Yousuf
10) VVS Laxman

Don't think anyone can disagree with this list. Each and every single batsman here is either an ATG or a great.
Switch 5 and 6, then your rankings are pretty much accurate.

Tendulkar
Gavaskar
Sangakkara
Dravid
Kohli

We have never produced a batsman who can be compared with these batsmen. In other words, in spite of being a major Asian team, we don't have any batsman worthy of being top 5 material from Asia.

Same situation as Indian and Sri Lankan pacers.

At this moment, Miandad should come ahead of Kohli. Potential wise Kohli may have a higher ceiling, but he still has some ways to go in the test format. In ODI, Kohli is high up there.

1) Sachin Tendulker
2) Sunil Gavasker
3) Javed Miandad
4) Kumar Sangakkara
5) Younis Khan
6) Rahul Dravid
7) Inzamam-ul-Haq
8) Mahela Jayawardene
9) Mohammad Yousuf
10) VVS Laxman

Don't think Dravid was averaging in 40s for almost a decade. He is leagues ahead of YK.

Last edited:
Don't think Dravid was averaging in 40s for almost a decade. He is leagues ahead of YK.

You say this but then I see that Dravid has a lower average than Younis and only two more centuries, despite playing a lot more matches. Similar stats around the world as well. So this "leagues ahead" bull won't fly. Khan >= Dravid.

You say this but then I see that Dravid has a lower average than Younis and only two more centuries, despite playing a lot more matches. Similar stats around the world as well. So this "leagues ahead" bull won't fly. Khan >= Dravid.

I see more runs, more centuries, higher average for same number of matches, a batsman averaging mid to high 40s most of career being compared with batsman averaging high 50s at peak.

Only on PP ask any neutral expert they would chose dravid over YK.. That does not make YK bad in any sense he is just not in the top tier he is in a tier less..

1) Sachin Tendulker
2) Sunil Gavasker
3) Javed Miandad
4) Kumar Sangakkara
5) Younis Khan
6) Rahul Dravid
7) Inzamam-ul-Haq
8) Mahela Jayawardene
9) Mohammad Yousuf
10) VVS Laxman

How are Mahela or Yousuf better than Sehwag? Sehwag is seriously underrated in this forum.

Why is Dravid a tier ahead of Younis ??

That's a load of baloney and only an Indian cricket fan would say so.

Now if the argument was Dravid being only very slightly ahead of Younis I can accept that. But in my honest opinion they are about the same.

1) Sachin Tendulker
2) Sunil Gavasker
3) Javed Miandad
4) Kumar Sangakkara
5) Younis Khan
6) Rahul Dravid
7) Inzamam-ul-Haq
8) Mahela Jayawardene
9) Mohammad Yousuf
10) VVS Laxman

Decent list, what is your top 10 for players who have the best record when it comes to impacting a Test, dealing with pressure situations and being a match winner among the asian batsman?

C-H97suXUAAXre8.jpg:large

Decent list, what is your top 10 for players who have the best record when it comes to impacting a Test, dealing with pressure situations and being a match winner among the asian batsman?

Younis and Miandad would be at the top.

How are Mahela or Yousuf better than Sehwag? Sehwag is seriously underrated in this forum.

Sehwag was an absolute failure whenever the ball movedan inch. Yes, he was great in the subcontinent but then again, so were all these other batsmen. Sehwag would be in the top 15, along with Zaheer Abbas, Ranatunga, Hanif, etc.

I see more runs, more centuries, higher average for same number of matches, a batsman averaging mid to high 40s most of career being compared with batsman averaging high 50s at peak.

Younis Khan averages 60+ since 2005 or 2010, I believe, so you can drop this whole "high-50s" thing. Not to mention that Dravid failed horribly in South Africa and Australia (barring one series against a seriously depleted Aussie attack). Khan is better, albeit slightly.

Why is Dravid a tier ahead of Younis ??

That's a load of baloney and only an Indian cricket fan would say so.

Now if the argument was Dravid being only very slightly ahead of Younis I can accept that. But in my honest opinion they are about the same.

Dravid has an average of 29 in South Africa, 30-something in Sri Lanka and 40 in Australia (despite filling his boots in a series against a second string Aussie attack). Younis Khan has done better than him in several countries, has a superior third and fourth innings record, has more match-winning innings, higher average and played most of his cricket in a weaker team than Dravid's. Younis Khan is slightly better and like you said, people saying that Dravid is ahead a tier or true are being silly.

Younis Khan is a much better batsman and a match winner than Dravid ever was. Better player of spin and on overall better player. Better average and scored runs when it really mattered. Has more 4th innings hundreds too. Dravid is comparable to Mohd Yousuf, who was a king of soft runs.

Dravid has an average of 29 in South Africa, 30-something in Sri Lanka and 40 in Australia (despite filling his boots in a series against a second string Aussie attack). Younis Khan has done better than him in several countries, has a superior third and fourth innings record, has more match-winning innings, higher average and played most of his cricket in a weaker team than Dravid's. Younis Khan is slightly better and like you said, people saying that Dravid is ahead a tier or true are being silly.

Don't be so generous bro. How may triples does Dravid have? How many doubles does he have in England? Younis is a legend and is the 2nd greatest batsman from Asia after Sangakkara.

Top 10 from Asia in tests:

SRT
Gavaskar
Sangakkara
Dravid
Miandad
Younis
Sehwag
VVS
Inzy
Kohli

Its blasphemy to claim Yousuf or Mahela better than either of Sehwag/VVS in test format.

For tests, I personally rate batsmen against swing/seam most highly and who are difficult to get out.

Dravid not just above YK but the best in Asia.

For tests, I personally rate batsmen against swing/seam most highly and who are difficult to get out.

Dravid not just above YK but the best in Asia.

Dravid averages 29 in South Africa. Not as great against swing and seam as you think.

Dravid averages 29 in South Africa. Not as great against swing and seam as you think.

I dont by avgs alone. I have watched him and all these players enough since 1996. I love watching matches.
Just an example, Dravid against England in his last series was the finest exhibition playing against swing and seam. Kher you can think otherwise :)

I dont by avgs alone. I have watched him and all these players enough since 1996. I love watching matches.
Just an example, Dravid against England in his last series was the finest exhibition playing against swing and seam. Kher you can think otherwise :)

Yes, cricket is not all about stats but when a batsman averages below 30 in a country, it is tough to say otherwise. Perhaps its the combination of pace+bounce+swing+seam which you find in South Africa that was too difficult for The Wall to withstand because like you said, he was great in England throughout his career, where you find S&S but not much bounce.

Dravids peak lasted longer and he scored and he was better out of his comfort zone. Closer than the yk vs laxman comparison but for me Dravid is the better test batsmen .

This is my honest opnion, not interested in if the Khan chearleaders agree with me .

Can't say Younis is the better test batsmen when I don't believe it.

Sehwag was an absolute failure whenever the ball movedan inch. Yes, he was great in the subcontinent but then again, so were all these other batsmen. Sehwag would be in the top 15, along with Zaheer Abbas, Ranatunga, Hanif, etc.

Younis Khan averages 60+ since 2005 or 2010, I believe, so you can drop this whole "high-50s" thing. Not to mention that Dravid failed horribly in South Africa and Australia (barring one series against a seriously depleted Aussie attack). Khan is better, albeit slightly.

That comes with being "Not-so-great" for a decade with sub-50 average. All ATG of 2000s have averaged 55+ in their career for long time. YK is not better than them.

That comes with being "Not-so-great" for a decade with sub-50 average. All ATG of 2000s have averaged 55+ in their career for long time. YK is not better than them.

Yes, and like I said, Younis Khan has averaged 60+ for a heck of a long time and is definitely as great as any to have played the game.

Rahul Dravid for me. He was far more consistent when India was under pressure. Valued his wicket more highly and was tougher to dismiss.

Wow you have a post in this thread from 2011 on the first page, and you are still defending dravid in 2017 kudos mate..

No, Younis averages 56 from 2010. http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/en...0;spanval1=span;template=results;type=batting

Yes, and like I said, Younis Khan has averaged 60+ for a heck of a long time and is definitely as great as any to have played the game.

Give me one example of any other ATG batsman who took 9 years to average 50+ playing in post 90s era?

Almost all ATG batsmen of post 90s (except Lara) averaged 55+ at peak of their career and YK hasn't entered their league yet.

Now that both their careers are over, how would you place them?

I would go for Dravid due to his vastly superior performances outside Asia.

Difficult comparison. I'd say Dravid. Honestly, Younis brought this onto himself. Had he gotten a few more runs in Australia and gotten to his 10K, this would've been Younis without a doubt but with the fall in his average - I'm not too sure.

Just for the record, Dravid was averaging over 55 when he had played the same number of tests as Younis. Far superior batsman.

Dravid has the highest average outside Asia among all Asian batsmen. Then comes Sunny and then Sachin in the list.

Dravid is much better, although Younis Khan too is a really, really good player.

Younis is better.

Had politics not interfered, he would have been as good as Yousuf and Inzi, both far better players than Dravid.

Dravid is a great in his right though.

Thanks for the laugh.

Dravid beats Younis everywhere outside Asia except SA where both were poor.

Younis was much better in Sri Lanka though.

Some stats may reflect Younis is miles ahead of Dravid in Australia but those stats are as pointless as it comes. You gotta follow their whole career to understand that.

I will pick Younis in Asia but Dravid by quite a margin outside Asia.

Back