Younis Khan vs Rahul Dravid in Tests

Younis is a very good player no doubt.

But it has to be said that Dravid is better at this stage maybe if Younis continues like this for 3-4 years then maybe he has a chance of overcoming Dravid but at this moment I'd put Dravid ahead of Younis.

What? Dravid retired in early 2012. Since then ,

YK played 7 tests,

3 Tests against SA with an avg of 30.66
3 Tests against SL with an avg of 33.40
Now this 200 against Zim.

He hasn't done anything to narrow the gap in my opinion. YK has played much better cricket before Dravid retired.

That 157 against England was quality, has to be said.

Both are great clutch batsmen

There stats in away wins(home of opposition) stands out for me

YK in away wins (ex minnows) Avg: 112.36
http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/en...efault;result=1;template=results;type=batting

Dravid in away wins (ex minnows) Avg 65.71

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/en...result=1;team=6;template=results;type=batting

There was recently an article on cricinfo on Dravid's this ability.

India's overseas hero, and much more
http://www.espncricinfo.com/magazine/content/story/556766.html

Last edited:
Both are great clutch batsmen

There stats in away wins stands out for me

YK in away wins (ex minnows) Avg: 112.36
http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/en...efault;result=1;template=results;type=batting

Dravid in away wins (ex minnows) Avg 65.71

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/en...result=1;team=6;template=results;type=batting

There was recently an article on cricinfo on Dravid's this ability.

Dude, tell me one thing.

Younis just played a brilliant knock yesterday. If by some amazing stroke of luck or incompetent bowling, Zimbabwe end up winning the match. Would that make Younis's knock any less match winning?

Dude, tell me one thing.

Younis just played a brilliant knock yesterday. If by some amazing stroke of luck or incompetent bowling, Zimbabwe end up winning the match. Would that make Younis's knock any less match winning?

No, but there is nothing wrong in looking into stats from different angles. You are right about stats not giving the whole picture.

This has got to be one of the most hype threads on PP.YK is good but nowhere near Dravid.

Dravid YK

Vs England 60 43

In England 69 52

YK havent played in England since 2006

vs Australia 38 31

In Australia 41 43

YK hasnt played againist Australia since 2005

VS WI 65 38

In WI 63 23

YK hasnt played them since 2006

Vs SA 33 42

In SA 29 32

Vs PAK 52 NA

In PAK 78 NA

VS LANKA 48 49

IN LANKA 33 38

YK hasnt played a test match in the 3 of the top 4 teams in the world since 2006-07.He hasnt even played againist WI team or in WI

Most of his runs in last 6 years has come againist bottom 3 teams except one series vs SA nd ENG in last 6 years.

Dravid has played continously home and away againist the top teams.That is the big difference between the two.Not to mention DRavid has played scored almost twice the no. of in tests.

I will just ask one question.

What can Dravid do that YK cant ? I dont see any exceptional difference between their capabilities hence I would prefer Younis over Dravid anyday.

When is the next Pakistan's tour of Australia ? If YK can score there then he will be a serious contender in this contest.

I will just ask one question.

What can Dravid do that YK cant ? I dont see any exceptional difference between their capabilities hence I would prefer Younis over Dravid anyday.

How many tests outside Asia againist non minnows for YK since 2007?

How many tests outside Asia againist non minnows for YK since 2007?

he missed many tours(ENG, AUS, WI from top off my head) , because of his tussle with PCB, this is not his fault. I think that he would have improved his record, as he was at top of his game during that time.

Thats too far away I doubt YK can stay in the team that longer. Its a pity that he never got to play against so many big teams at his peak.

I think he should be staying in the Team since he is not playing any ODI or T20 Cricket and has always been a physically fit cricketer.

Dravid is better. But yk can overtake him in comming years.

Dravid ahead. It's a shame Younus was kept out of the team. You don't keep out your best bat on stupid and trivial matters.

Dravid is better and is a better choice to survive at the wicket for long periods of time. IMO it goes like this

Kallis>Tendu>Lara>Sangakkara>Dravid>Chanderpaul>Ponting>Younus>Yousuf>Pietersen>Jayawardane>Inzimam>Laxman

Re: Younis Khan vs. Rahul Dravid in Tests

he missed many tours(ENG, AUS, WI from top off my head) , because of his tussle with PCB, this is not his fault. I think that he would have improved his record, as he was at top of his game during that time.

would be and actual records are different.

Younis v Dravid

As much as I love Younis, if it was a choice between him and Dravid, it's quite easy to choose Dravid.

Its quite simple Younis is very good but Dravid is better. I surely like Younis a lot but it would be unfair to say that he is better than Dravid, although if Younis continues to perform for the next 3/4 years then i think Younis might just go ahead of Dravid, but it is of course not easy.

not yet for me Dravid is still ahead by some distance and i rate Dravid more than Sachin (but thats my personal opinion)

How is Dravid better than Sachin. Your opinion matters as much as my 8 month old nephews rants if you cant back it up.

How is Dravid better than Sachin. Your opinion matters as much as my 8 month old nephews rants if you cant back it up.

Dravid has simlay played more match winning/saving innings for India , a lot more . In addition to that check some of Indias biggest test wins overseas & their contributions .

Dravid has simlay played more match winning/saving innings for India , a lot more . In addition to that check some of Indias biggest test wins overseas & their contributions .

Tendulkar has given better performances when times India din't have a team in the real sense.

^ This article can attest for Rahul Dravid as matchwinner, greatest Indian batsman in overseas comparatively. In fact, i posted this article in the existing thread, "Matchwinner vs century-maker". Time to bump that thread. :jf

Decide your parameters, goign by the same Michael Clarke would be 10x the player YK is.

Given the stats as both are great at home, but poor in overseas judging by subcontinent. But in comparison between Michael Clark and Younus Khan, Michael Clark would be 10x better indeed.

Dravid is bit overrated IMO...great player no doubt. No way near Sachin/Lara's class.

Why is Dravid overrated ?

He's won India so many Tests, while other other so called great "cough,cough" went missing.

On topic now, although Pakistani, I still believe Dravid was a better player than Younus. He is India's all time beat Test bat along with Gavaskar. That's right Sachinistas, he was better than the overrated and self serving tendu.

Come at me

Last edited:
Dravid any day of the week. After Sunny the best bat for me coming out of India for sure.

Both are similar of class

Dravid handled fast better but younis play spin better.

Dravid was more stylish.

On topic now, although Pakistani, I still believe Dravid was a better player than Younus. He is India's all time beat Test bat along with Gavaskar. That's right Sachinistas, he was better than the overrated and self serving tendu.

Come at me

lol tendu is god of cricket.

mortals like dravid, YK doesn't even come to comparision.

I would have pick Dravid before but now I believe YK turns out to be better test batsman.

Rahul Dravid.

YK is at his lets say peak and he is also playing mostly at home.

At his peak Dravid avgd 58 plus and scored runs all over the world.

Dravid for now you never know if YK keeps his performance like this he might end up very good.
On the question of Dravid vs Sachin, Sachin in 90's was in a different level compared to any Indian batsmen has ever reached.

Decide for yourself

Younis.jpg

Dravid.jpg

My opinion,

Younis has been excellent.
But even though he has been awesome, at similar point, Dravid was even better and was better against much better and accomplished bowlers.

Last edited:
^ wow , phenomenal stats for Dravid after 95 Tests. Every venue 40+ avg and most places averaging ridiculously high. Then some folks think that it's easier to maintain all this if you play a lot more tests. I recon many go-only-by-stats would have declared Dravid as comfortably the best batsman after Bradman if he had retired after 95 tests. I think many posters don't give much credit for how long you do it. Dravid stats look inferior after he played more tests.

Last edited:
Dravid shades this one, but Younis is also very, very good.

^ wow , phenomenal stats for Dravid after 95 Tests. Every venue 40+ avg and most places averaging ridiculously high. Then some folks think that it's easier to maintain all this if you play a lot more tests.

Yeah. Compare him to our current lots like Kohli and Pujara and you find that Dravid was averaging 87 after his first 6 tests in England almost 65 after 7 Tests down under!!
This is insane!

These guys are nothing like him. Calling Pujara a Dravid successor is a joke at the moment.

Yeah. Compare him to our current lots like Kohli and Pujara and you find that Dravid was averaging 87 after his first 6 tests in England almost 65 after 7 Tests down under!!
This is insane!

These guys are nothing like him. Calling Pujara a Dravid successor is a joke at the moment.

It's just a media thing - they've gotten used to watching Dravid at #3 for a number of years, and once he's retired and gone and the newbie takes his place he is thereby supposed to be the 'new Dravid'.

Total sham, really.

This is insane!

It's actually a hard task for anyone to match the standards set by guys like SRT, Dravid etc. I think posters may say that due to some aspects of their play being similar and not necessary due to younger generation being in the same class.

Dravid by far.

Best batsman from India specially on difficult tracks. Best as an individual as well.

Haven't seen Gavaskar play so can't rate him. Would put Tendu after Dravid.

Decide for yourself

View attachment 50690

View attachment 50691

My opinion,

Younis has been excellent.
But even though he has been awesome, at similar point, Dravid was even better and was better against much better and accomplished bowlers.

what is there to decide, you cropped dravid's best era with younis entire career, in later part of his career dravid was not efficient as he used to be, I believe data is like that you have clay in your hand & you shaping gumby in which way you like.

At their peaks, Dravid was definitely a more reliable batsman on difficult tracks but for the longevity alone you have to hand it to Tendulkar.

Look at Dravid's record post 95 matches, he averaged around 40-45's throughout with odd great series in between(like Eng '11). That being said both were invaluable to the Indian team, so lets not bring one down to praise the other.

what is there to decide, you cropped dravid's best era with younis entire career, in later part of his career dravid was not efficient as he used to be, I believe data is like that you have clay in your hand & you shaping gumby in which way you like.

Not best era mate.

First 94-95 tests for both players.

What I am saying is longevity brings you down.

After 95 tests Dravid was only next to Bradman in Stats, but longevity brought the averages down.

Infact those who were comparing Younis's current "in progress" career stats with Dravids full career stats were not very right in doing that.

Last edited:
Not best era mate.

First 94-95 tests for both players.

What I am saying is longevity brings you down.

After 95 tests Dravid was only next to Bradman in Stats, but longevity brought the averages down.

Infact those who were comparing Younis's current "in progress" career stats with Dravids full career stats were not very right in doing that.

yes indeed but that was dravids best era, his avgs in different countries o/s s.c dropped reasonably well in later part of his career.

I have to choose one batsman to watch throughout my life (Test Matches Only), I would go for Dravid, Younis is also very good but not above Dravid for sure.

Younis khan have to perform outside Asia to be rated amongst the best.

Younus has cemented his place as Pakistan's best ever test cricket batsmen.

He is equivalent or better than Dravid now.

I like Dravid but I think YK has now proven himself to be better than Dravid firmly. Scoring a 200 at this age in foreign conditions with series on line is stuff of legends

I like Dravid but I think YK has now proven himself to be better than Dravid firmly. Scoring a 200 at this age in foreign conditions with series on line is stuff of legends

Dravid scored 3 tons in Eng in his last series when every other Indian batsman was struggling.

Dravid scored centuries the last time he toured England.YK is still a level below Dravid.

see that YK playedfor16 years for his 95 tests while Dravid played same amount of tests in 10 yeras. It means you are ignoring Dravid's decline while including whole career of YK. Can you ten years vs ten years or 16 vs 16 which would be more telling.

Let's not jump the gun here. Dravid got 3 tons on his last tour of England at quite an advanced age. It was a much stronger overall performance, and with less support around him too - the series that India lost 0-4, where Sehwag / Laxman / Yuvraj / and even Tendulkar might as well have stayed at home with their pitiful returns.

Comparing Younis Khan with Dravid is like comparison of Chamida Vaas with Wasim Akram in terms of quality, People seem to forget stats for Dravid when he last toured England, He was scoring centuries there for fun.

However, today Younis has again gained the respect from his critics and re-stamped his stature of PAKISTANI ATG batsman as fickle fans including me had started to write him off citing his week reflexes, break dance,etc.

YK has done great and surpassed "expectations" but not Dravid ,who performed very well in the last English tour.

Dravid. Dravid was a phenomenal batsman, people who rate him above SRT aren't just blind Tendulker haters( though I don't share the opinion). Dravid at 3 was India's rock. Scored runs everywhere and was arguably their most reliable batsman. He just lacked the flair of greater players such as SRT and Lara.

List of Test Centuries by Rahul Dravid vs Younis khan....

Test centuries[edit]
No. Score Against Pos. Inn. Test Venue H/A Date Result
1 148 double-dagger South Africa 3 1 3/3 New Wanderers Stadium, Johannesburg Away 16 Jan 1997 Drawn[4]
2 118 Zimbabwe 4 2 1/1 Harare Sports Club, Harare Away 7 October 1998 Lost[14]
3 190 New Zealand 3 2 3/3 WestpacTrust Park, Hamilton Away 2 January 1999 Drawn[15]
4 103* New Zealand 3 4 3/3 WestpacTrust Park, Hamilton Away 2 January 1999 Drawn[15]
5 107 Sri Lanka 3 1 2/3 Sinhalese Sports Club Ground, Colombo Away 24 February 1999 Drawn[16]
6 144 New Zealand 3 3 1/2 Punjab Cricket Association Stadium, Mohali, Chandigarh Home 10 October 1999 Drawn[17]
7 200* Zimbabwe 3 2 1/2 Feroz Shah Kotla, Delhi Home 18 November 2000 Won[18]
8 162 Zimbabwe 3 2 2/2 Vidarbha Cricket Association Ground, Nagpur Home 25 November 2000 Won[19]
9 180 Australia 6 3 2/3 Eden Gardens, Kolkata Home 13 March 2001 Won[20]
10 144* West Indies 5 2 1/5 Bourda, Georgetown, Guyana Away 11 April 2002 Drawn[21]
11 115 England 3 3 2/4 Trent Bridge, Nottingham Away 8 August 2002 Drawn[22]
12 148 double-dagger England 3 1 3/4 Headingley, Leeds Away 22 August 2002 Won[23]
13 217 double-dagger England 3 2 4/4 Kennington Oval, London Away 5 September 2002 Drawn[24]
14 100* West Indies 3 1 1/3 Wankhede Stadium, Mumbai Home 9 October 2002 Won[25]
15 222 double-dagger New Zealand 3 1 1/2 Sardar Patel Stadium, Motera, Ahmedabad Home 8 October 2003 Drawn[26]
16 233 double-dagger Australia 3 2 2/4 Adelaide Oval Away 8 December 2003 Won[27]
17 270 double-dagger Pakistan 3 2 3/3 Rawalpindi Cricket Stadium Away 13 April 2004 Won[7]
18 160 Bangladesh 3 1 2/2 MA Aziz Stadium, Chittagong Away 17 December 2004 Won[28]
19 110 double-dagger Pakistan 3 1 2/3 Eden Gardens, Kolkata Home 16 March 2005 Won[29]
20 135 double-dagger Pakistan 3 3 2/3 Eden Gardens, Kolkata Home 16 March 2005 Won[29]
21 128* Pakistan 2 2 1/3 Gaddafi Stadium, Lahore Away 13 January 2006 Drawn[30]
22 103 Pakistan 2 2 2/3 Iqbal Stadium, Faisalabad Away 21 January 2006 Drawn[31]
23 146 West Indies 4 1 2/4 Beausejour Stadium, Gros Islet, St Lucia Away 10 June 2006 Drawn[32]
24 129 Bangladesh 3 1 2/2 Shere Bangla National Stadium, Mirpur Away 25 May 2007 Won[33]
25 111 South Africa 3 2 1/3 MA Chidambaram Stadium, Chepauk, Chennai Home 26 March 2008 Drawn[34]
26 136 England 3 1 2/2 Punjab Cricket Association Stadium, Mohali, Chandigarh Home 19 December 2008 Drawn[35]
27 177 Sri Lanka 3 1 1/3 Sardar Patel Stadium, Motera, Ahmedabad Home 16 November 2009 Drawn[36]
28 144 Sri Lanka 3 1 2/3 Green Park, Kanpur, India Home 24 November 2009 Won[37]
29 111* Bangladesh 3 2 2/2 Sher-e-Bangla Cricket Stadium, Mirpur Thana, Dhaka Away 24 January 2010 Won[38]
30 104 New Zealand 3 1 1/3 Sardar Patel Stadium, Motera, Ahmedabad Home 4 November 2010 Drawn[39]
31 191 double-dagger New Zealand 3 1 3/3 Vidarbha Cricket Association Stadium, Jamtha, Nagpur Home 22 November 2010 Won
32 112 double-dagger West Indies 3 2 1/3 Sabina Park, Kingston, Jamaica Away 22 June 2011 Won
33 103* England 3 1 1/4 Lords, London Away 23 July 2011 Lost
34 117 England 2 1 2/4 Trent Bridge, Nottingham Away 30 July 2011 Lost
35 146* England 2 1 4/4 The Oval, London Away 21 August 2011 Lost
36 119 West Indies 3 1 2/3 Eden Gardens, Kolkata Home 14 November 2011 Won

Test cricket centuries[edit]
List of Test centuries scored by Younus Khan
No. Score Balls Against Pos. Inn. Test S/R Venue H/A/N Date Result Ref
1 107 250 Sri Lanka 7 3 1/3 42.80 Rawalpindi Cricket Stadium, Rawalpindi Home 29 February 2000 Lost [7]
2 116 281 Sri Lanka 6 2 2/3 41.28 Galle International Stadium, Galle Away 21 June 2000 Won [25]
3 149* 182 New Zealand 6 3 1/3 81.86 Eden Park, Auckland Away 8 March 2001 Won [26]
4 119 217 Bangladesh 3 2 2/2 54.83 Chittagong Stadium, Chittagong Away 16 January 2002 Won [27]
5 153 dagger 291 West Indies 3 1 2/2 52.57 Sharjah Cricket Association Stadium, Sharjah Neutral 7 February 2002 Won [28]
6 124 215 Sri Lanka 3 2 2/2 57.67 National Stadium, Karachi Home 28 October 2004 Lost [29]
7 147 258 India 3 3 2/3 56.97 Eden Gardens, Kolkata Away 16 March 2005 Lost [30]
8 267 dagger 504 India 3 1 3/3 52.97 M. Chinnaswamy Stadium, Bangalore Away 24 March 2005 Won [31]
9 106 190 West Indies 3 1 2/2 55.78 Sabina Park, Kingston Away 3 June 2005 Won [32]
10 199 336 India 3 1 1/3 59.22 Gaddafi Stadium, Lahore Home 13 January 2006 Drawn [33]
11 194 299 India 3 3 2/3 64.88 Iqbal Stadium, Faisalabad Home 25 January 2006 Drawn [34]
12 173 dagger 285 England 3 2 3/3 60.70 Headingley Stadium, Leeds Away 4 August 2006 Lost [35]
13 126 160 South Africa 3 4 1/3 78.75 National Stadium, Karachi Home 1 October 2007 Lost [36]
14 130 246 South Africa 3 4 2/2 52.84 Gaddafi Stadium, Lahore Home 8 October 2007 Drawn [37]
15 107* double-dagger 182 India 4 4 2/3 58.79 Eden Gardens, Kolkata Away 30 November 2007 Drawn [38]
16 313 Khan was selected man of the match. Khan captained Pakistan in the match. 568 Sri Lanka 3 2 1/2 55.10 National Stadium, Karachi Home 21 February 2009 Drawn [10]
17 131* dagger 230 South Africa 4 4 1/2 56.95 DSC Cricket Stadium, Dubai Neutral 12 November 2010 Drawn [39]
18 122 211 Sri Lanka 4 2 3/3 57.81 Sharjah Cricket Association Stadium, Sharjah Neutral 3 November 2011 Drawn [40]
19 200* dagger 290 Bangladesh 4 2 1/2 68.96 Zohur Ahmed Chowdhury Stadium, Chittagong Away 9 December 2011 Won [41]
20 127 221 England 4 3 3/3 57.46 DSC Cricket Stadium, Dubai Neutral 3 February 2012 Won [42]
21 111 226 South Africa 4 1 2/3 49.11 Newlands, Cape Town Away 14 February 2013 Lost [43]
22 200* dagger 404 Zimbabwe 4 3 1/2 49.50 Harare Sports Club, Harare Away 3 September 2013 Won [44]
23 136 198 Sri Lanka 4 2 1/3 68.68 Sheikh Zayed Stadium, Abu Dhabi Neutral 1 January 2014 Drawn [45]
24 177 331 Sri Lanka 4 1 1/2 53.47 Galle International Stadium, Galle Away 7 August 2014 Lost [46]
25 106 dagger 223 Australia 4 1 1/2 47.53 DSC Cricket Stadium, Dubai Neutral 22 October 2014 Won [47]
26 103* dagger 152 Australia 3 3 1/2 67.76 DSC Cricket Stadium, Dubai Neutral 25 October 2014 Won [47]
27 213 349 Australia 4 1 2/2 61.03 Sheikh Zayed Stadium, Abu Dhabi Neutral 30 October 2014 Won [48]
28 100* 141 New Zealand 4 1 1/3 70.92 Sheikh Zayed Stadium, Abu Dhabi Neutral 10 November 2014 Won [49]
29 148 195 Bangladesh 4 1 2/2 75.89 Sher-e-Bangla National Cricket Stadium,

Mirpur Away 6 May 2015 Won [50]
30 171* dagger 271 Sri Lanka 4 4 3/3 63.09 Pallekele Cricket Stadium Away 7 July 2015 Won [51]
31 118 211 England 4 3 2/3 55.92 DSC Cricket Stadium, Dubai Neutral 25 October 2015 Won [52]
32 218 dagger 308 England 5 2 4/4 70.13 Kennington Oval, London Away 12 August 2016 Won [53]
33 127 205 West Indies 4 1 2/3 61.95 Sheikh Zayed Cricket Stadium, Abu Dhabi Neutral 21 October 2016 Won

So folks who is better match winner for his team in tests?

Back