Zimbabwe XI v Pakistanis | Bulawayo | Aug 28-29 | Tour Match

Status
Not open for further replies.
Misbah Is The Most Successful Pakistan Test Captain Since Inzamam

Test Record since 2007 World Cup & Inzy retirement under different captains. Considering Pakistan have never really been considered a top tier side for a considerable amount of time even a draw would be regarded as a positive achievement. Here is the record under the different leaders during this period of time. As you can see Misbah Ul Haq has the best record out of all the others who have had the chance to lead the nation since October 2007:

Malik: Played 5, won 0 , lost 2, drawn 3 (40% losses)

Younis: Played 5, won 0, lost 2, drawn 3 (40% losses)

Yousuf: Played 6, won 1, lost 4, drawn 1 (67% losses)

Afridi: Played 1, won 0, lost 1, drawn 0 (100% losses)

Butt: Played 5, won 2, lost 3, drawn 0 (60% losses)

Misbah: Played 6, won 2, lost 1, drawn 3 (17% losses)

lol. i knw u are a misbah fan but don't take his side when the reality doesn't allow u. look its just common sense... when these two draws cud have easily been converted into wins...... it wudn't have done any bad to us, infact we wud've had lots more ranking points to climb the ladder up..... defensive mindset is the worst about him

lol. i knw u are a misbah fan but don't take his side when the reality doesn't allow u. look its just common sense... when these two draws cud have easily been converted into wins...... it wudn't have done any bad to us, infact we wud've had lots more ranking points to climb the ladder up..... defensive mindset is the worst about him

Not really.

Which team in the world chases over 400 in the 4th innings?

Which team in the world would risk losing a test match when they were on the brink of securing a series after over 10 attempts?

This is beyond logic mate.

Test Cricket is a different ball game to ODIs and T20s.

You need to be more watchful, cautious & have some perspective in your approach.

Funny how when he scores not out hundreds in the last 2 warm up games on tour it goes relatively unnoticed yet one failure and everyone's on his case.

Why also do we all forget just his last test performance, a matchwinning relatively quick hundred?

:facepalm:

Judge a player by what you see of him (on tv) and when it really counts (proper matches) instead of glancing at a scoreboard and making premature conclusions.

@zimcricket That's a real 2nd-string side we're playing in this one, so looking good so far. :misbah

36 ball duck are you KIDDING me, what the hell happened to 77 not out
I can't believe it

Funny how when he scores not out hundreds in the last 2 warm up games on tour it goes relatively unnoticed yet one failure and everyone's on his case.

Why also do we all forget just his last test performance, a matchwinning relatively quick hundred?

Judge a player by what you see of him (on tv) and when it really counts (proper matches) instead of glancing at a scoreboard and making premature conclusions.

Agreed. But no we want sixerzzz and 10 off 2.

Let's not go overboard, it is only a warm-up match but it is a mediocre performance by Pakistan especially against a makeshift Zimbabwe XI.

Let's not go overboard, it is only a warm-up match but it is a mediocre performance by Pakistan especially against a makeshift Zimbabwe XI.

We dont want 10 off 2 but we dont want 0 off 36 either.

well its only warm up bt our batting should work harder before the start of the test match!

We dont want 10 off 2 but we dont want 0 off 36 either.

I agree with both posts. It's not a great performance and is hardly acceptable against the opposition.

But let's take it with a pinch of salt until we see how they perform in the real match.

Relax people, Misbah has done well over the past year or so.

Bowlers need to step up today and show what they are made of.

chill guys , our battiing has always been pathetic. The real worry is bowling , i think pakistan made mistake by keeping all three regular fast bowlers out. This can bite us back.(hopefully not)

chill guys , our battiing has always been pathetic. The real worry is bowling , i think pakistan made mistake by keeping all three regular fast bowlers out. This can bite us back.(hopefully not)

Last 6 tests

Scores

377/6

226/5

21/0

153/3

343/3

5 scores of above 340+ in last 11 innings.

3 times have not been bowled out looking to save the match.

Only 3 times scores have been less than 300 in last 6 tests.

I really do not think this bowling attack is strong enough to take 20 wickets. Zimbabwe are no pushovers as they've shown by humiliating Bangladesh.

I think leaving Wahab Riaz and Umar Gul out could prove to be a huge mistake.

Good to see Azhar and YK getting some runs. Rare failure for Misbah - better to have it in a tour match than the actual Test.

This tail looks VERY long. Saeed Ajmal is no. 11 batsman by international standards and we've got him in at no. 8. Also Adnan seems to be good for a 20-30 run innings at best. So the this tail does not inspire confidence.

I think the selectors might have missed a trick here by underestimating Zim. A defeat in the Test will be catastrophic for Pakistan's ranking.

5 scores of above 340+ in last 11 innings.

3 times have not been bowled out looking to save the match.

Only 3 times scores have been less than 300 in last 6 tests.

two of the matches were in UAE where Ab deviliers made 278 and kallis a big century. It was basiacally a dead track unable to produce any wickets. Newzealand does not have a very good bowling attack and in west indies when conditions were testing we folded and lost the test match. We have yet to face a good attack on a sporting wicket.

I really do not think this bowling attack is strong enough to take 20 wickets. Zimbabwe are no pushovers as they've shown by humiliating Bangladesh.

I think leaving Wahab Riaz and Umar Gul out could prove to be a huge mistake.

Good to see Azhar and YK getting some runs. Rare failure for Misbah - better to have it in a tour match than the actual Test.

This tail looks VERY long. Saeed Ajmal is no. 11 batsman by international standards and we've got him in at no. 8. Also Adnan seems to be good for a 20-30 run innings at best. So the this tail does not inspire confidence.

I think the selectors might have missed a trick here by underestimating Zim. A defeat in the Test will be catastrophic for Pakistan's ranking.

I think leaving tanvir ahmed out is a bigger mistake as he bowls really well with the new ball.

Does any one knows why Junior was preferred over Asad Shafiq? If the top order does well, one can expect a quick fire 50 from Umar Akmal but when the chips are down (as in this match) Pakistan team needs Asad who can take the pressure and help stabalize the lower batting order.

Does any one knows why Junior was preferred over Asad Shafiq? If the top order does well, one can expect a quick fire 50 from Umar Akmal but when the chips are down (as in this match) Pakistan team needs Asad who can take the pressure and help stabalize the lower batting order.

Because Junior is a classy batsman who is aggressive and can clear the ropes. Everyone knows Pakistan fans would prefer to see a few chokay chikkay than a solid Test match innings.

two of the matches were in UAE where Ab deviliers made 278 and kallis a big century. It was basiacally a dead track unable to produce any wickets. Newzealand does not have a very good bowling attack and in west indies when conditions were testing we folded and lost the test match. We have yet to face a good attack on a sporting wicket.

You get a lot of flat wickets around the globe these days.

It's easy to get carried away.

Still the job has to be done and done well.

I disagree about the bowling attacks.

NZ are good in their home conditions.

WI do have an attacking leg spinner, although he is relatively new.

We won't be playing anywhere on sporting wickets this winter so no need to panic.

The signs are good.

I rate this batting line up. They are solid and dependable. Have been one of our better batting line ups in test matches over the years. There is a sense of discipline, application, determination, responsibility, gutsiness and fighting resilience in the batsmen who are willing to spend time at the crease, dig in hard and put a real price on their wicket i.e. Azhar Ali, Taufiq Umar, Younis, Misbah Asad Shafiq. They can now play out lengthy periods of time and sweat hard which has its own charm and significance in setting platforms, giving themselves every chance of making a substantial score and playing out long sessions confidently when the odds are against them. There is resilience and stability to take the innings to over 110+ overs so they can make opponents really work and eventually go on to earn respect by dictating terms. A classical but workable approach has been adopted. Test match batting disciplines have never really been associated with Pakistan batsmen since MoYo and Inzi departed especially. We are seeing some encouraging signs ahead of future series.

I'm hopefully putting this 222 AO as a one off.

No cricket in the whites for 3 months.

Last edited:
Kind of like how India doesn't do well after an IPL, similarly, Pakistan just had a T20 tournament where most of the players took part...so yeah, I think it's a one-off and a matter of poor preparation. Hopefully we'll come good for the Test match. Good to see Azhar (unlucky to get run-out) and Younis making runs though. The eco. rate of JK and Aizaz was also encouraging.

Last edited:
Who cares it's a goddamn warmup, seriously guys.

JibranAnsari, here we go again. It's only a friggin' practice game. I wouldn't look too much into this performance. Yes, they underperformed with the bat and need to find tune their problems before the test and that's about it.

You always jump the gun in slating our batting, in the process ignoring certain facts and figures and bringing up excuses in an effort to belittle its good performances. However, I won't stop you from bashing it if it fails to get the job done in the ACTUAL TEST MATCH.

Last edited:
It's only a warm up but when you play a one off test against a Zimbabwe team which is very hungry with some confidence you don't want to take them lightly. Resting Wahab and others was a silly move by Mohsin Khan.

cricinfo made a mistake in Fall of wickets.
The 4th wicket fallen at 137 was of Younis Khan not Misbah-ul-Haq.
The 6th wicket fallen at 176 was of Misbah-ul-Haq not Younis Khan.

Good game. Slow starters remember. :sachin

Will give the bowling attack a good test now. FOW and Misbah BF contradict on the scorecard.

Zim 225 all out 4 wkts for Junaid Khan and 2 each for Yasir and Saeed

and Junaid has taken 3 wkts may be the openers were also taken by him!

He took 4 wickets in the innings, though the opening pair was shared by Yasir Shah and Junaid Khan, the two cousins ^^

Bowling O M R W Econ
Sohail Khan 17 3 40 0 2.35
Junaid Khan 18 1 62 4 3.44 (1nb)
Aizaz Cheema 8.3 2 20 1 2.35
Yasir Shah 10 2 36 2 3.60
Saeed Ajmal 15 1 43 2 2.86
Mohammad Hafeez 2 0 16 1 8.00

Bowling

O

M

R

W

Econ

Sohail Khan

Junaid Khan

(1nb)

Aizaz Cheema

Yasir Shah

Saeed Ajmal

Mohammad Hafeez

Last edited:
Good bowling by Junaid, hope he continues the same form in Test match also.

I want Yasir Shah to perform, too. A good leg-spinner is deadly and necessary in Tests.

As a bit of analysis. :boycott

All of Junaid's vitims were right handers.

The last two were clean bowled so we can assume he bowled full and straight BUT more interestingly, the first two were out lbw with a semi-new ball. Wonder if he got a bit of inward movement (off the track or in the air)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back