Zulfiqar Babar's England sojourn comes to an end...

Slog

Senior Test Player
Runs
Post of the Week
There should be a photo series of this England vacation Zulfi Babar took

Funny thing is that he wasnt even part of the army fitness camp prior tot he tour so the whole 4 months were a breeze :))

Zulfi Cobra will show his real skill back in the UAE - demean him at your own peril !! However in all seriousness instead of Chachu Ifti we should've gone with Zulfi Cobra, would've served us better given he's better than Chachajan in almost all three facets of the game :D

However, all's well that ends well - Good on everyone who were part of this amazing squad. Hats off Boys !!

Zulfi Cobra will show his real skill back in the UAE - demean him at your own peril !! However in all seriousness instead of Chachu Ifti we should've gone with Zulfi Cobra, would've served us better given he's better than Chachajan in almost all three facets of the game :D

However, all's well that ends well - Good on everyone who were part of this amazing squad. Hats off Boys !!

Ofcourse. It ended well

But he is a 38 year old guy (officially) who averages almost 40 and in 2015 averaged almost 50 with the ball. So its not like his performances are top notch and he would have been a good option for us if it came to him playing. Even in UAE he averages 38 or sth so you can only imagine what he would have been like in England.

This could have been a great experience and good investment if we had some young spinner like Asghar or Zafar on the tour

Ofcourse. It ended well

But he is a 38 year old guy (officially) who averages almost 40 and in 2015 averaged almost 50 with the ball. So its not like his performances are top notch and he would have been a good option for us if it came to him playing. Even in UAE he averages 38 or sth so you can only imagine what he would have been like in England.

This could have been a great experience and good investment if we had some young spinner like Asghar or Zafar on the tour

We wasted his prime years , he was a wonderful bowler in his youth. Used to get a lot of spin and drift.

He will have a role to play vs. the Windies (assuming they last vs. the pacemen). Not a fan of fixing stuff thats not broken. He is a second innings bowler who averages about the same as Yasir in 2nd innings.

He will have a role to play vs. the Windies (assuming they last vs. the pacemen). Not a fan of fixing stuff thats not broken. He is a second innings bowler who averages about the same as Yasir in 2nd innings.

not really

Asghar is clearly a superior option and Id be tempted to say same abt Zafar and now-banned Raza Hasan

Babar's only real success came against Australia against whom any living and breathing professional spinner can become a magician these days it seems

We wasted his prime years , he was a wonderful bowler in his youth. Used to get a lot of spin and drift.

so we should atone for that by playing him now that he is clearly over the hill?

Pakistan should look to replace him with a spin bowling all-rounder. Imad, Zafar or Nawaz should replace him. They are decent spinners and will add to our batting depth. Bring in a pace bowling all-rounder in place of Iftikhar. This way not only will we bat deeper but also have extra bowling options.

A pace bowling all-rounder is necessary for the upcoming tours of Australia and NewZealand. Ideally we'd have 2 such All-rounders like England have. Such an all-rounder should be good enough to establish his place in the team as a bowler. Even an average of 27-28 with the bat will do wonders.

not really

Asghar is clearly a superior option and Id be tempted to say same abt Zafar and now-banned Raza Hasan

Babar's only real success came against Australia against whom any living and breathing professional spinner can become a magician these days it seems

Xyz player might be good but still see no reason to replace zulfi.

Xyz player might be good but still see no reason to replace zulfi.

so on performance Zulfi should be there

he averaged almost 50 last year despite playing in spin friendly SL and UAE.

And if anything he must have regressed from then

Pakistan should look to replace him with a spin bowling all-rounder. Imad, Zafar or Nawaz should replace him. They are decent spinners and will add to our batting depth. Bring in a pace bowling all-rounder in place of Iftikhar. This way not only will we bat deeper but also have extra bowling options.

A pace bowling all-rounder is necessary for the upcoming tours of Australia and NewZealand. Ideally we'd have 2 such All-rounders like England have. Such an all-rounder should be good enough to establish his place in the team as a bowler. Even an average of 27-28 with the bat will do wonders.

We will always play two spinners at home so there is no point of getting an allrounder in place of a full time bowler. Pakistan needs an allrounder regardless of who is the second spinner at home. But I do agree that in England and nz we need an allrounder to support the four main bowlers. I would prefer that to be a spinning allrounder, as you suggest.

so on performance Zulfi should be there

he averaged almost 50 last year despite playing in spin friendly SL and UAE.

And if anything he must have regressed from then

Let's see what mickey and Inzi think. Not sure if he played enough tests for it to be a trend.

so we should atone for that by playing him now that he is clearly over the hill?

Nah not saying that , just a lesson for us to use the players when they can be actually good for the team. We pick them up when they are on their last legs.

We will always play two spinners at home so there is no point of getting an allrounder in place of a full time bowler. Pakistan needs an allrounder regardless of who is the second spinner at home. But I do agree that in England and nz we need an allrounder to support the four main bowlers. I would prefer that to be a spinning allrounder, as you suggest.

Yes we will play two spinners in the UAE but I would like that other spinner to an All-rounder. Of course the allrounder has to be good enough with the ball to replace Zulfiqar. Zulfiqar averages 40 so that shouldn't be difficult. But more than a wicket taking option Zulfiqar's role was to keep it tight and economical, that is the role the new guy has to understand and fulfill. Against the WI Pakistan has a chance to try out the likes of Nawaz, Zafar or Asghar to see if they up to mark. If they work out not only will we have a replacement for Babar but we will also have added depth to our batting.

He is one of the most miserable people you could ever meet.

Met him a few times during the tour and he looked suicidal.

??? Why ??? If true, then this really sounds disappointing.

Is he sulking because for the lack of opportunities in England ??

do share some stories of him and others if possible haha. Would make a nice blog

as for Zulfi, he just doesnt look a guy who plays top level sports. dunno why

I think everyone is being too harsh on him. :kapil

After all, not everyone in the squad plays.

my issue is that there was literally no chance of him ever playing and if playing, contributing positively.

he is just not good enough anymore, at 38+, to function as a front line spinner anywhere, let alone in England.

I just dont think in any metric he offers any more than Asghar or Gohar.

this tour could have been a great experience for the development of our youngsters even if they dont play a minute. So would have had some long term benefit

Babar sitting around for 3 months, touring England and checking out parks and greenery doesnt help Pak cricket in anyway whatsoever

Imran Khan didn't get a game either

he has a future of good 3-4 years

and if he had played there was a good chance he would have contributed well

babar was never in contention

Really?

Can you please elaborate on this? Why was he miserable, because he wasn't getting a chance to play, or something in his personal life?

Really?

Can you please elaborate on this? Why was he miserable, because he wasn't getting a chance to play, or something in his personal life?

No idea.

Considering PCB wanted to promote this as a win friends series, having the likes of Zulfiqar Babar around defeated that plan.

The likes of Rizwan, Imran Khan were a bundle of energy everywhere, yet this guy Babar seemed disinterested and quite rude with people at times.

This is quite possibly the most hilarious thing I've read on here in my 10 years reading! [MENTION=9]Saj[/MENTION] - possibly an exclusive interview in order here with Zulfi?

I know people wanted a young spinner instead of Zulfi but England's not a place to blood young spinners. You saw how Yasir struggled.

If he'd broke down, you'd have been better off having someone close to the end of his career anyway than destroying the confidence of Gohar or Asghar who can be better groomed in UAE vs West Indies who aren't great players of spin

Retirement package forZulfichacha pointless selection there was never a chance he was going to play a match

He's been a big part of Pakistan's emergence over the last couple of years in the UAE

But now with younger and more versatile guys like Nawaz and Ashgar coming up, Zulfiqar's time is up

Does not make any sense to persist with a 38 years old spinner when you have so many better young alternatives.

Yasir will be enough for WI so let's play Nawaz as the 2nd spinner. Asghar can be give a game too.

Z Babar, probably thinks the end is Near. But He would be getting a final chance in UAE (knowing That Misbah believes in him). But I don't see any future for Zulfi Babar after Misbah.

Should really look to move beyond him tbh, people keep hyping on about Asghar and I think he should be given a shot. I never seen him bowl nor do I know how he looks like anyways, a little bowling clip of him would be nice but for me he looks the brightest prospect at the moment.

Nah not saying that , just a lesson for us to use the players when they can be actually good for the team. We pick them up when they are on their last legs.

Yes, hence let's not waste the prime of Nawaz/Asghar/Zafar by selecting Zulfi Baba.

However in all seriousness instead of Chachu Ifti we should've gone with Zulfi Cobra, would've served us better given he's better than Chachajan in almost all three facets of the game :D

what was it you were saying? :chacha

I know the guy got hard done by management for about a decade where his prime was wasted, but I think the selectors realized their mistakes and decided to give him a free run, unrestricted, for 2 straight years. Lost the plot in 2015 but still got free vacation to England, and Dubai isn't a bad vacation spot either. They gave him as much enjoyment as they could, didn't even bother him for army camp.

Trying to make up for all the tours he missed in his life. But now it's over..

Zulfi Cobra has lost his spit and venom now. we need to develop a younger spinner who can help Yasir. We are too reliant on him. We need a second wicket taking spinner on these placid UAE Tracks.

I think he's done.

Asghar is on the verge of a call-up to the Pakistan team and then in a few months Raza Hasan will be back.On top of that there is the possibility that the selectors may give Imad a chance in the 5 day format at some point in the future.

Dont get the hate this guy sometimes gets. Is he particularly good? No, is he bad? No. Tried his best and regularly put in solid displays keeping an end tight at the very least. Should be allowed retire now but some people swear he bribed his way into the squad. Was called up as a stop gap option for a couple of years and performed the role solidly, but he's not the trash spinner or joke cricketer some make him out to be.

*Again my soft spot for unspectacular yet hard working cricketers shows. Darn it *

Can't blame him much but there's no point in selecting him now. Zafar or Asghar should get the nod in next UAE series.

I think he's done.

Asghar is on the verge of a call-up to the Pakistan team and then in a few months Raza Hasan will be back.On top of that there is the possibility that the selectors may give Imad a chance in the 5 day format at some point in the future.

I hope this news is true and we start looking to future for our back up spin options. Raza Hasan will probably have to do a lot of good work domestically to be even considered again for pakistan, but any option is better than Zulfi right now

I hope this news is true and we start looking to future for our back up spin options. Raza Hasan will probably have to do a lot of good work domestically to be even considered again for pakistan, but any option is better than Zulfi right now

He is good with the bat as well.

Well it looks like this is the end. The enigma, the avenger, the Okara Omnivore but above all else, as he's affectionately known by all Pakistan cricket fans around the world - The Cobra - has finally been defanged.

Thank you for the memorable moments and famous highs, such as....erm....

OK there's not a lot of memorable bowling spells. But what about his batting ? Well...alright there's not much to write about there either.

No seriously - thanks for the Australia 2014 series Zulfi. Thanks for the fifty in Galle. And at least we'll always have this:

hUEJ7sj.gif

He reviewed that one too :)))

I think he's done.

Cant see asghar getting a call up before the series against westindies next year.

Maybe Zulfi Cobra was our good luck charm

Surprised that he is amongst wickets on pacers friendly wickets in Fc Cricket.

Back