1st Test - England v India, Lord's

England deserved the win. I was impressed by their bowling attack in this test. Hopefully the weather is better by the time the 2nd test starts at Trent Bridge.

siddharth said:
It happened many times with us ,not just one or two_One can argue England were lucky enough to play in the first day when the conditions were fine for batting .
Chennai Test against Aussies is the first one which comes to my mind.We were all set to win and Sehwag was flaying Mcgrath to all parts of the ground on day 4.Unfortunately day 5 was completely washed out. Target was a little above 100

siddharth said:
It happened many times with us ,not just one or two_One can argue England were lucky enough to play in the first day when the conditions were fine for batting .

220/1 at one point & 262/4 by the end of first day........once the ball started swinging england lost 16 wickets , scoring only 310 runs ?......wasnt england lucky to win the toss in the first place ?

alexjohn_tcr said:
Chennai Test against Aussies is the first one which comes to my mind.We were all set to win and Sehwag was flaying Mcgrath to all parts of the ground on day 4.Unfortunately day 5 was completely washed out. Target was a little above 100

Target was about 220 odd and the game could have gone either way.

Last edited:
alexjohn_tcr said:
hmmm.. we can't say that 'we were all set to win', but we had a good chance.. at the end Australians were relieved and Indians were disappointed.. that just reflect that we were more confident at that point. me too disappointed for that wash out becoz hadn't that happened, who knows 2-1 would have 2-2

alexjohn_tcr said:
Chennai Test against Aussies is the first one which comes to my mind.We were all set to win and Sehwag was flaying Mcgrath to all parts of the ground on day 4. Unfortunately day 5 was completely washed out. Target was a little above 100
Target was more like 220-230 IIRC. It may have rained day 5 but it would have been a record chase in Chennai and with a bowling attack as strong as Australia's was then who knows what could have happened.

Rob H said:
Target was more like 220-230 IIRC. It may have rained day 5 but it would have been a record chase in Chennai and with a bowling attack as strong as Australia's was then who knows what could have happened.
Sehwag is in absolute control when the day ended. Pitch was playing true. Infact it was advantage India at that point. Worst i remember is Australia gets away in Melbourne in 85-86 where India required 120 odd to win. India was stranded at 59 for 2 when the rain intervened. But thtat was mainly due to courageous 77 last wicket partnership between gilbert and border where gilbert made 1 or 2 runs. Otherwise India would have won comfortably.

ok guys...thank you MS Dhoni and Rain gods...let's kick some english at Trent Bridge! Hash and the rest must be pleased with the result..LOL

i think we will win at trent bridge. We need to find a way to counter Anderson, Sidebottom and Tremlett who are bowling superbly. Tendulkar needs to fire and I'm sure he will. Let's go India!

Last edited by a moderator:
I was at Trent Bridge last week. An absolute belter of a pitch it seemed, but overcast conditions will likely favour England's swing bowlers. Might offer a bit of turn to suit Monty later on. I'd certainly put my money on a draw first with the current weather, but if anyone's to win I'd suggest it will be England.

England deserved to win today, but have been saved by the rain many times so can't complain. Pretty impressed with the English bowling this match, lets hope they keep it up. Especially pleasing as a Hants fan to see Tremlett doing so well in his 1st game. Excellent analysis by Simon Hughes on Channel 5 highlights today, showing how the bowling attack with just 37 caps between them, had the wood on the "Big Four" in this game,(417 caps and 30,000 runs between them)

Also despite having a fair a bit luck today, he rode it well, and Dhoni did a good job for India in difficult circumstances and deserves credit as well.

All In all, a really absorbing game of cricket, lets hope the rest of the series is as good, (but without the rain)

...and with an an Indian loss, (especially when I go to see the game at the Rose Bowl.)

(Sorry, just couldn't help myself :p )

Dhoni is awesome man, the guy is so tough, a true soldier in the line of duty, hats off to him and the weather too...

Last edited:
Romali_rotti said:
Dhoni is awesome man, the guy is so tough, a true soldier in the line of duty, hats off to him and the weather too...

Din you predict india being allout for 150 ? and tendulkar 50 as well :21:

heard on the commentary that if india had won - it would only be their FIFTH test match victory on english soil

is this true?!?!?!

Tendu baba lived up to his reputation which is choking when it really mattered leaving the job to poor inexperienced cricketers like dhoni, karthik.

Playa said:
Dhoni and Laxman parnership was very crucial, flat track bully Dhoni played a useful innings under pressure and ended up with 76 not out, bravo Dhoni, bravo.

:14: well done Dhoni ...... you have scored 76 not out and therefore that immediately lifts the FTB tag off your neck ........ bravo son bravo :23:

Osman said:
:14: well done Dhoni ...... you have scored 76 not out and therefore that immediately lifts the FTB tag off your neck ........ bravo son bravo :23:

who gave him the FTB tag in the place ? and can you explain why ?

12thMan said:
read on bbc that England were bowling at 10 overs an hour instead of 13-14 overs.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/cricket/england/6914273.stm

When you think about 5 days you think there is a lot of time. Unfortunately, everything comes back later to bite you in the a$$.

What if England had a better Over rate?
What if Vaughan had declared with a lead of 320?

But if you analyse in total, here is what India did well in this test....there werent many but.....

--They scored almost 300 in the 4th innings which by far is a big big gain for them.
--They bowled well. Now this may seem a bit fatuous considering what happened at the end, but if you ignore the mental blip on the first half of the first day, they bowled remarkably well. A KP special didnt help either.

Ganguly once said that he didnt understand what were moral victories. But the knowledge that you can hang on helps....especially if you havent got someone who can simply blow you off in the opposing ranks.

What was that movie - "Jo Jeeta Wohi Sikander"

So, honestly, wouldnt really give weight to Almost Won, Weather, Dodgy Decisions ..... all of these have been there throughout the history of the game. In the end, it was a draw....honors shared. Well played England and well played India. Atleast this match wasnt boring unlike a lot of draws. This was more well matched than most recent encounters and this is reflected in the scoreline as well as the result. Another first IMO.

This was more well matched than most recent encounters and this is reflected in the scoreline as well as the result. Another first IMO

Well matched?

Are you kidding me?

Stop abusing perscription drugs...

Osman said:

Can you explain why he is a FTB?, Dhoni did well in the odi series in South Africa and now he has played a brilliant knock under pressure in England.

Playa said:
Can you explain why he is a FTB?, Dhoni did well in the odi series in South Africa and now he has played a brilliant knock under pressure in England.

odis and tests ...... big difference. So your saying based on a few ODIs, which as i said is much different to test cricket and now after one good half-century suddenly his FTB title is lifted? Faisal Iqbal scored a half century against England at the Oval last year and that too against arguably a stronger England attack (not taking anything away from England's bowlers, they were fantastic) ... does that change anyones views of him being a FTB? Let's see how Dhoni does over the rest of the series ... if he can keep up the good work he showed and impress and prove himself throughout the series i would say his tag his lifted.

The tag has a time limit of atleast 9 months to a year and then gets evaluated again. You cannot change the laws that easily. This is not ICC vs ODI laws

Osman said:
odis and tests ...... big difference. So your saying based on a few ODIs, which as i said is much different to test cricket and now after one good half-century suddenly his FTB title is lifted? Faisal Iqbal scored a half century against England at the Oval last year and that too against arguably a stronger England attack (not taking anything away from England's bowlers, they were fantastic) ... does that change anyones views of him being a FTB? Let's see how Dhoni does over the rest of the series ... if he can keep up the good work he showed and impress and prove himself throughout the series i would say his tag his lifted.

He shud have failed on such pitches to get FTB tag, isnt it ?.....this is his only second tour wer pitch dosen favour batsmen.........He was our best batsmen in SA , be in ODI's or tests he never looked uncomfortable....Dhoni may not be most attarctive batsmen in the world , but importantly is effective .....on any kind off pitch!

His avg in the 3 tests he has played in England and SA is 38, while overall he averages 35........so please explain how is he an FTB , while he is actually performing better on bowler friendly pitches .

jusarrived said:
Din you predict india being allout for 150 ? and tendulkar 50 as well :21:

Yes I did predict that and extremly glad my prediction failed miserably :11:

It was a really good match, and we deserved to win, but sometimes in cricket you don't get what you deserve. This was probably more gutting than needing 2 wickets to win against South Africa in Durban, or needing 1 wicket to win against the Aussies, simply because it was so unexpected that we would outplay India like that with such an poor XI. The performances of the bowlers was fantastic, and Pietersen played a blinder, so things look good for Trent Bridge.

And after this test, England can look back to the 2005 Ashes, when in the third test, England were 1 wicket away from beating the mighty Oz, but just couldn't do it. The next test, at Trent Bridge, England picked themselves up and beat the Aussies!! (Even if it was only just, by 3 wickets chasing 129!)

jusarrived said:
He shud have failed on such pitches to get FTB tag, isnt it ?.....this is his only second tour wer pitch dosen favour batsmen.........He was our best batsmen in SA , be in ODI's or tests he never looked uncomfortable....Dhoni may not be most attractive batsmen in the world , but importantly is effective .....on any kind off pitch!

he is according to some .... :p

jusarrived said:
His avg in the 3 tests he has played in England and SA is 38, while overall he averages 35........so please explain how is he an FTB , while he is actually performing better on bowler friendly pitches .

go back to the Pakistan India test series in 2006 ... he belted 140 odd in Faisalabad on the flattest pitch you will ever see... come the next game at Karachi where the ball was doing a bit and he was all at sea ... if you watched both his innings from that game and the way Razzaq dismissed him both times it is evident from there that he is a FTB ... on flat tracks his shot selection that got him out may have fetched him boundaries but when the ball jagged around abit he was exposed .... well done to him for his 76no at Lords but don't forget the way he was dismissed in the first innings.... like i said he will have to continue to make runs and impress throughout this series ... if he doesn't well then i rest my case.... if he does well then you are most welcome to bump this post :D

bump for jusarrived ... please do re-read our little debate above and you will see why ... :21:

Back