2nd Test: Pakistan vs South Africa @ Port Elizabeth (Day 3)

I feel for Asif... he has to try so hard to win a match for Pakistan... its so disheartening to lose a bowler in such a crucial test, especially with no razzak, afridi or malik... I hope we can hold them off

just to make Akmal feel better, replays show that Gibbs missed that ball from Kaneria and any noise was bat flicking pad

even cricinfo rubbing it in on akmal

who is the next keeper in line in case Akmal sitting out next match?

Both these batsmen are capable of big scores but Gibbs is vulnerable early on and we need a quick wicket here- Asif bhai apna magic dikha day!! A quick in-cutter please...

PlanetPakistan said:
Ball is 60 overs old.....any signs of reverse swing?
No reverse for Asif-- even Sami doesn't get much reverse usually-- so it has to be line-length from Asif and a bit of magic from Danish ;-)

South Africa playing very slowly. Perhaps they are thinking that with only 3 bowlers, if they wear the bowling down, the runs will flow later.

But by batting slowly they are putting some pressure on themselves

Sami can maybe get a quick yorker in for Gibbs if Asif is tiring a bit-- just showing Akhtar sitting outside but without a strapping on his thigh--that should be encouraging--Would they risk him in the third?

Asif gets a good inswinging in-cutter to Gibbs - Bat-pad though- muted LBW shout

PlanetPakistan said:
Play started a good 47 mins and Asif has only conceded 1 run since the start!!
You'd think hes bowling on some uncovered wicket under treacherous skies at the turn of the last century

11 behind now SA-- 4 main men gone back in the hut. We are still incharge- InshaAllah will get a 5th before the lead is wiped-out

TheSaint said:
11 behind now SA-- 4 main men gone back in the hut. We are still incharge- InshaAllah will get a 5th before the lead is wiped-out
The way they're playing we have at least 7 or 8 overs before they take the lead :D

Sami's performance now is more vital then ever. We can only win if he performs. Asif can only do so much.

Let's change the bowling soon ... before the batsmen get too comfortable. We have to break this partnership. After this, they just have all-rounders (Pollock, Boucher) and bowlers.

Give it to Sami now, for about 3-4 overs. Then break, and bring back if we decide to take the new ball, due in 15 overs.

Need to pickup another wicket in next 30 mins or so!!!...o it will get too late...

of all the remaining batsmen Kallis & Mark Boucher will be the real danger men...we need to get them out as soon as possible!

anything above 150 lead will trouble our batsmen

OK shout for LBW from Danish for Gibbs- followed by a glove-pad near-chance - near-miss again-- not a drop really!

Danish bowling really well MashaAllah-- I see more wickets for him with this remodelled run-up

We are getting to watch all kinds of cricket today....

In the WI IND match they are going crazy with the RR(IND scored at aropund 6.76)
In the AUS NZ match the RR is about 4.3

In this match SA have been scoring at 1 run/over in the last 15 or so overs!

excellent stuff by Sami so far... i can't see his speeds... it seems like he is bowling really fast
edit.. just saw it 146.5km bouncer .... shabaash sami

Last edited:
These Saffie commentators are such idiots - saying the momentum still with SA till Kallis is here--wake-up please- you are minus 10 for 4 and have scored 16 runs in 15 overs almost today

i dont see why Sami can't pickup a wicket in this spell if he continues to bowl the same way for next 3,4 overs!

the fastest Sami has bowled in this match is 148 kmph...this is surely awesome stuff...& i hope this will only improve with time!

good 1st mini session by Pak... picked up a wicket and kept SA under pressure... good display by Kaneria and Asif, also sami in his two overs.

arsal_pakfan said:
the fastest Sami has bowled in this match is 148 kmph...this is surely awesome stuff...& i hope this will only improve with time!
Yes because he will be first change after Gul and Asif next match.

Drinks-- 16 runs in an hour and 1 wicket down-- well done boys--keep it going- the pressure-cooker situation is always good for the bowling side. InshaAllah the break will get Kallis to lose concentration and get out

arsal_pakfan said:

Salam bro, how are you? I have noticed you have been posting quite a bit recently, where have you been for the past year or so? I can remember you from the old Pakpassion. :D

Ithink that both Sami and Asif should rest now. In 11 overs the new ball will be due, and lunch will be around then. So I say tae the new ball after lunch and start with Asif and Sami.

Just take him off, please. He has done well. He goes for too many runs and his confidence dies.

PepsiCola said:
Ithink that both Sami and Asif should rest now. In 11 overs the new ball will be due, and lunch will be around then. So I say tae the new ball after lunch and start with Asif and Sami.

:19: but Hafeez also has a sore neck so Farhat is the only other option and that will take the pressure-off

From Cricinfo:
69.2 Mohammad Sami to Kallis, FOUR, ah, lovely stuff - a caress, really, of an on-drive sends the ball off the full face of the blade very finely through mid-on. Shot of the morning
Abay akhal ki dishman, its the only shot of the morning

PepsiCola said:
:19:

PepsiCola said:
Just take him off, please. He has done well. He goes for too many runs and his confidence dies.

the ball he was hit for 4 was a good reverse swinging ball. It's just that Kallis is very good.

Might not have hit it, but boy Akmal is keeping in abysmal fashion. His confidence appears shattered.

What is Akmal doing? Even if its not a catch, he will drop one seeing as how he can't take anything!

Now we miss Afridi , Razzi & Malik- bits and pieces players according to some but I think still better then Hameed or Faisal as a number 6

I think either Hameed or Yk should keep for the rest of the game, Akmal is getting worse over by over.

Kami comtinues to snatch at the ball this morning, nightmare behind the stumps continues.
His basic technique looks pretty poor at the moment, and his confidence looks really low. Someone needs to have a word with him.

Back