5th Match: India v West Indies [Ind Win]

ironically hinds played 56 ballsfor his 8 runs... and i thought Yousuf was seeing butterflies in the Natwest Series

Oxy said:
Can anyone prove it?

I guess it is only a strong suspicion, 1 million dollars is a lot ot play for along with a weaker opposition than Aus in the final, means WI have a chance to win the finals, get a lot of money and also be confident ahead of the WC..... I think its fixed if you ask me, I mean WI are trying their maximum best to help India win this game, its upto India if they wanna take up on the opportunity presented....I sure aint falling for this miracle comeback

i dont get it..why in the heck are Windies slowing down...they've got nothing to loose...in the last few series i've watched its come in my consideration that the team who plays too defensively mostly looses the match in the end... Unless Romali is right then windies are really helping the indian cause

why the hell did they mess up their batting order?
chanderpaul is a very solid middle order batsman,
and gayle in lower roder?

gambino said:
why the hell did they mess up their batting order?
chanderpaul is a very solid middle order batsman,
and gayle in lower roder?
They wanted to let India have a cakewalk out of this match...Did u see Dyawne Smith face when he got those wickets... he might be saying "Man I Screwed Up"...but then i saww lara pat him saying "dont worry there always PLAN B"

I think the West Indies just decided to have a bit of fun today. Why should they be bothered, they're in the final anyway.

Well I think WI have this match in the bag but atleast they tried to get India through :p...

Augustus said:
I think the West Indies just decided to have a bit of fun today. Why should they be bothered, they're in the final anyway.
Hmm tat sound just about right... or maybe they wanted to loose so that they can play India in the final coz they know they can whoop their bottoms with average WINDIES bowler

India are playing - literally in their own backyard - its silly to assume that they will rollover and play dead. WI should have known that too.

Well done to India.

MIG said:
India are playing - literally in their own backyard - its silly to assume that they will rollover and play dead. WI should have known that too.

Well done to India.

Some of us here at Pakpassion has solved the puzzle, Miggy its fixed :p, .....

Last edited:
Ace Base said:
Apologies will get you nowhere. Your true Indian colours have been revealed.

As part of my documents for an Indian visa, I will produce above as proof.

Thw Windies have themselves to blame. Chasing a low total and also the batting order was completely wrong, why change it?

India win by 17 runs
wat a poor management by WI (in batting ordeR) and let them have easy win.

congrats Indian anyway

INDIAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

when Sachin is in the side, anything can happen!

India Zindabaad! :)

Well done to India. Its never easy defending a modest total.

Tupac said:
INDIAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

when Sachin is in the side, anything can happen!

India Zindabaad! :)

You are lucky he didn't score a century. ;-)

Congrats to Indian team bowlers for this wonderful win . It was never easy defending a very small total especially when the WI batsmen like Lara , Gayle , Sarwan etc are in form . WI have to blame themsleves for being too overconfident and making a mess out of their batting order .

Well done India! Superb innings from SRT and an impressive team bowling display. But I must question - why Lara came in so late? He is in good form and would surely stopped the rot if he came in at 4 or even 5! The India v Windies matches in this series have been like SRT v Lara, been a joy to watch...hopefully India beat Australia in the decider so they play Windies in the final.

Whippy said:
Well done India! Superb innings from SRT and an impressive team bowling display. But I must question - why Lara came in so late? He is in good form and would surely stopped the rot if he came in at 4 or even 5! The India v Windies matches in this series have been like SRT v Lara, been a joy to watch...hopefully India beat Australia in the decider so they play Windies in the final.
i think you hit the nail on the head. the most significant reason behind india's victory has been the shuffling of the batting order. i understand that they are experimenting, but there was no need for it considering how successful both chanderpaul and gayle as openers have been throughout this tournament. moreover, lara coming in so late is rather inexplicable.

maybe west indies wanted india to win in order to play them in the final where they would fancy their chances against a team with who they have a 5-2 record in the past seven games, as opposed to facing a full strength aussie side. and there is that matter of one million dollars.

So one day they defend 162 but than cannot defend a 300 score!!!! Maybe India should score low more often(you do realize the last time India defended a total before this successfully was 204 vs England!)

It might be fixed, but I also think that Windies would rather face India in the final, then a full strentgh Aussie side to fancy there chances, and they let India have a chance. WI shuffling there batting order cost them the game, just like in the 96 semi final vs Aus, where WI should have easily won that game.

Well done Sachin for playing a fantastic knock under so much pressure, and credit to all the Indian bowlers, we must bowl like this consistantly from now on, man, I wish Sreesanth was in the champions throphy squad.

Sachin should have got MoM, went to Bhajji...but he deserves no less as well!

now to the Aussies!

Amir said:
So one day they defend 162 but than cannot defend a 300 score!!!! Maybe India should score low more often(you do realize the last time India defended a total before this successfully was 204 vs England!)
do you mean the last low total india defended or the last time india defended a total?

nevertheless, the game where we posted 300 odd was affected by rain and west indies won using a questionable analysis put forth by Duckworth and Lewis.

nevertheless, it does take some big brass balls to successfully defend a total this low.

monsee beta bahaar aaja...sachin nahin marega, promise :)

....until next game :)

Hopefully India will crush Australia and we can see a WI vs Ind final!!

It is a tricky pitch. One must agree. You need some amount of luck and courage to stay at the wicket. Any one calling this match is fixed must examine their head. In this day every single ball is being observed. Lara thought WI would not need him to finish this match. When they were 44 for no loss in 12th over you must ask yourselves why would they decide to lose the match at that point! "It's all part of one big grand plan" huh! Guys get over. Windies lost pretty much in similar fashion in the first match against Ozzies. Infact they lost like 8 or 9 wickets for 20 odd runs. Windies is a flair team. They either win with style or lose with style! Today they did the later! India finally got a full game and won the match. It would be interesting to see the match as it is a must win match for both teams.

hmmm. Sreesanth looked sharp today. Wondering why he was left out of the Champions trophy team.

Tupac said:
let's give a little respect...they beat us 5 out of 7

There is a reason why they are so lowly ranked. They have proved it. They are not like ozzies who would keep a team down for years! I would not have been surprised had India lost to Pakistan or even Srilanka as they both can be destructive on their day. But i was really surprised India to see India losing to Windies recently.

XFactor said:
hmmm. Sreesanth looked sharp today. Wondering why he was left out of the Champions trophy team.

RP singh is only slightly faster than Harbhajan! lol But he was preferred ahead of Sreesanth!

Well let sreesanth play 3 or 4 games in a row like all the indian medium pacers he will fall back at 75- 82 mph !

Lara and Sachin show there class when it comes to batting on a difficult pitch......both maestros were the only batsman to settle.

Apparently, India always knew that they would win this !

We believed in ourselves: Dravid

September 20, 2006 19:55 IST

Scorecard | Report | Images

India's incredible victory over the West Indies in the DLF Cup tri-series match, in Kuala Lumpur on Wednesday, was because of well-planned strategy, skipper Rahul Dravid revealed.

Although the Indians were bowled out for a paltry 162 in 39.3 overs, they still believed that they could win the match, Dravid said, after the 16-run victory that kept India's hopes of a berth in the final alive.

"It was not a coincidence. We did believe that we could win this one. We talked about it in the break," Dravid said.

- Malaysia tri-series coverage

"We knew that the West Indies batting has been struggling, except for Lara who comes out to bat in the middle. So we thought if we could pick a few early wickets we would stand a chance of winning.

"It was always going to be a tall order but we believed in ourselves," the stylish right-hander added.

Dravid heaped praise on his bowlers for defending the small total admirably.

"The bowlers put on a great performance; their bowling was exceptional today. All the bowlers -- Munaf [Patel], [Ajit] Agarkar, R P, Sreesanth, Harbhajan [Singh] -- all of them bowled beautifully."

Dravid admitted that the batting left a lot to be desired, but said some thought ought to be given to the fact that the team was playing its first full game in almost two months.

"We did not bat to our potential. But one must keep in mind that we haven't played for the last two months; to come back and win in this fashion is good."

Dravid also said the victory should stand the team in good stead in the crucial league match against Australia on Friday.

"This win is a big fillip. (If we had not won this one) it would have been difficult to beat Australia with bonus points. If we play well against Australia we can give them a run for their money."

West Indies skipper Brian Lara said some of his team members are lacking confidence but they should get things right in the three days' break before the final on September 24.

"We bowled pretty well and we started pretty well too. We needed guys to hang in there and show responsibility, but, unfortunately, that did not happen. We have three days to get things right," he said.

"Some of our guys are lacking confidence. But guys like Marlon Samuels have to remember that they have done it before. It is just a matter of gaining that confidence back as quickly as possible."

Man of the match Harbhajan Singh said he worked hard on his batting and that was the reason why he was able to stitch a crucial 78-run partnership with Sachin Tendulkar.

"I have worked very hard on my batting. Today I was just trying to stay with Sachin," said the Punjab player, who scored 37 and also took three wickets.

As for his bowling, Harbhajan said he was just trying to bowl a good line and length as the wicket was giving a bit of help to spinners.

Tendulkar, declared Air Sahara High Flier of the match, said batting was difficult on the wicket.

"It has been good so far in this tournament. I missed out on an opportunity to score against Australia. Today it was hard work. I was just trying to be patient and be there till the end."

Asked what advice he gave Harbhajan, Tendulkar said, "I know Harbhajan can strike the ball well. I told him if there is a ball in his slot, he should strike it or else try to show the full face of the bat."

The star batsman also praised the bowlers for bringing the team back into the game.

"The bowlers bowled well today, they hit on target. It was good bowling backed by good fielding. They brought us back into the game quite nicely. We will now try to put our best performance against Australia," he added.

This is like breathing fire, but i suspect windies would rather play india in the final then australia. Their is more to this lackluster windies performance then what meets the eye. By this win atleast india's campaign is still open. There is only so much windies can do for them.

Romali_rotti said:
:))) , so did the Windies Miggy LOL

Tupac knows where you live and he doesnt like you belittling SRTs innings today by allegations of you know what

by the way, could any one fill me in on this one " Why on Earth were Lara AND GAYLE batting Down the order ? ? ? ?

cavin420 said:
by the way, could any one fill me in on this one " Why on Earth were Lara AND GAYLE batting Down the order ? ? ? ?

Here is the answer by Lara Himself : from Cricinfo

Brian Lara, who came in at No.9 and stroked a fluent 40 before running out of support, was disappointed with the manner in which the match was surrendered, but made no apologies for his attempt to give a misfiring middle order more batting practice. "It showed that the guys are out of form and lacking in confidence," he said. "We used this game to see if our boys could gain something, especially in that department, guys who are batting 6,7,8, push them up the order and see if they showed some responsibility. That did not happen but we've still got the finals to play.

"We could have won the game by eight wickets had myself, [Chris] Gayle and others batted up the order, but then we wouldn't have known what to expect from guys like [Wavell] Hinds and [Runako] Morton in the final. At least now, we know where they stand and they have the opportunity to correct themselves."

Back