Argentina defeat France 4-2 on penalties after a 3-3 draw to win the 2022 FIFA World Cup

If Portugal win the World Cup with Ronaldo scoring in the semis or final, he will be the GOAT over Messi. Some people have never kicked a ball or been to a live match so dont understand the game.

Some already feel Messi is the GOAT but as it stands hes not even the best Argentinian. :)

Football is too complicated for Liverpool fans who love Ronaldo.

Messi & Ronaldo were both deadly goal scorers in their prime, but Messi is several galaxies above Ronaldo when it comes to playmaking & passing. That ends the debate between the two.

Messi also has a World Cup Golden Ball, Ronaldo has never been in contention.

He was not even on the pitch when Portugal won Euro 2016 & and was nowhere near the best player of the tournament.

Ronaldo is not even good enough to start for Portugal anymore but somehow if they win the World Cup he will become the GOAT. :)))

Van Dijk might not be used to losing but he should get used to it now, looks like his “aura” wasn’t enough for Martinez in the shootout. :klopp

Martinez vs Livakovic will be some battle. Croatia will win if it goes to penalties.

Arsenal got rid of one of the great keepers in the world :))

Very possible as both teams are mentally and physically shattered after tonight.

Doha will be interesting with Arg fans trolling the Brazilians. :)

Messi & Ronaldo were both deadly goal scorers in their prime, but Messi is several galaxies above Ronaldo when it comes to playmaking & passing. That ends the debate between the two.

He was not even on the pitch when Portugal won Euro 2016 & and was nowhere near the best player of the tournament.

Ronaldo is not even good enough to start for Portugal anymore but somehow if they win the World Cup he will become the GOAT. :)))

Van Dijk might not be used to losing but he should get used to it now, look like his “aura” wasn’t enough for Martinez in the shootout. :klopp

You've never played the game and never been to a proper match.

Winning the World Cup is the greatest achievement of any player. Skills are secondary.

If both Cristiano and Lional are in the final. Ronaldo scores to win the cup for Portugal only a fool would than say Messi is still greater, he cant be as he no World Cup.

Stick to playing FIFA 2004 on your PS1.

Messi has created more chances than anyone in World Cup history. Just GOAT things.

Van Dijk might not be used to losing but he should get used to it now, looks like his “aura” wasn’t enough for Martinez in the shootout. :klopp

Lol he supports Liverpool who are the most overhyped team in premier league history. They won one premier league in 30 years, and they have the best centre back, best right back, best left back, best captain, best attack, best everything. They are so overrated.

I am glad Argentina didn't make the same mistake that Brazil made. Messi, who is their best penalty kick taker took the first penalty and sent the tempo by scoring. While Brazil had Neymar as their fifth kick taker, but he didn't even get to take his penalty, because Brazil were already out before his turn came.

Van Dyke is overrated as hell. The guy won one premier league and people want to call this guy the greatest centre back in premier league history. :91:

You've never played the game and never been to a proper match.

Winning the World Cup is the greatest achievement of any player. Skills are secondary.

If both Cristiano and Lional are in the final. Ronaldo scores to win the cup for Portugal only a fool would than say Messi is still greater, he cant be as he no World Cup.

Stick to playing FIFA 2004 on your PS1.

Yes, Henderson is better than Gerrard because has won the PL. Only people who know nothing about football compare players based on trophies won.

It is a simple litmus test. Anyone who thinks, or argues, that Ronaldo is a better footballer than Messi doesn’t know the first thing about football.

Whenever someone talks football with me, I ask them who they think is the better player. If they say Ronaldo, I stop talking football with them right away because it is obvious that they don’t know anything about the sport & it would be a waste of time.

Lol he supports Liverpool who are the most overhyped team in premier league history. They won one premier league in 30 years, and they have the best centre back, best right back, best left back, best captain, best attack, best everything. They are so overrated.

We were two goals away from wining the Quad.

Who do you support? Arsenal who play on Thursdays?

Stick to the topic.

Explain why a World Cup winner like Diego is not the GOAT and someone like Messi is? You dont have the ability like your team. :)

It is a toss between Messi & Maradona for the GOAT debate. If Messi fails to win the World Cup, one can understand why a lot of people would Maradona higher.

Ronaldo doesn’t even enter the debate. Not even for Real Madrid fans & not even for Man United fans now.

He is the second greatest player of his generation by a country mile & one of the greatest ever. There is no doubt about that.

However, you cannot be a GOAT candidate when you bring nothing to the table apart from goals. Without goals, Ronaldo is not even amongst the top 100 players of all time.

Without goals, Messi is still probably the greatest playmaker ever.

Ronaldo never had the creative genius of Messi & Maradona. He trained himself into a goal scoring machine & of course he deserved a lot of respect for that.

Messi & Maradona are artists, & Messi is on par, if not better, than Ronaldo at goals too.

The support Argentina get across the world is amazing. They are passionately supported in Africa, Asia and the Arab world.

Many people in these parts of the world who don't follow football will still support Argentina even though they wouldn't be able to point them out on a map.

They have tremendous soft power in Football.

Yes, Henderson is better than Gerrard because has won the PL. Only people who know nothing about football compare players based on trophies won.

It is a simple litmus test. Anyone who thinks, or argues, that Ronaldo is a better footballer than Messi doesn’t know the first thing about football.

Whenever someone talks football with me, I ask them who they think is the better player. If they say Ronaldo, I stop talking football with them right away because it is obvious that they don’t know anything about the sport & it would be a waste of time.

PL to World Cup :)))

Get a football for your birthday and kick the ball. Ask one of your Arsenal mates to send you a visitor visa and watch a game even though its a rubbish team.

Atm Maradonna is the GOAT but it seems your understanding of English is becoming weaker.

IF Ronaldo wins the World Cup with Portugal he will be the GOAT.

IF Messi wins its......work the rest out.

Stick to the topic.

Explain why a World Cup winner like Diego is not the GOAT and someone like Messi is? You dont have the ability like your team. :)

The team that plays on Thursdays & go 15 points clear off Liverpool on Saturdays & Sundays. :klopp

Stick to the topic.

I support Man United and I have seen my team win more trophies than you have.

Who cares about last season, where you beat Chelsea in two penalty shootouts after dead finals?

And I don't have a problem with Maradona being the GOAT. It is between him and Messi for me. But if we are talking Ronaldo and Messi, then there is no comparison. Messi is on another planet to Ronaldo. I don't care if Portugal win the world cup. Ronaldo will never be better than Messi in my eyes.

The support Argentina get across the world is amazing. They are passionately supported in Africa, Asia and the Arab world.

Many people in these parts of the world who don't follow football will still support Argentina even though they wouldn't be able to point them out on a map.

They have tremendous soft power in Football.

Their support has continued from the days of Diego, reason why I follow them reguarly.

England fans in general are crying over Argentina because of the propaganda since the Falklands and Diego sending them home in tears.

Arg love football, a great night for them.

It is a toss between Messi & Maradona for the GOAT debate. If Messi fails to win the World Cup, one can understand why a lot of people would Maradona higher.

Ronaldo doesn’t even enter the debate. Not even for Real Madrid fans & not even for Man United fans now.

He is the second greatest player of his generation by a country mile & one of the greatest ever. There is no doubt about that.

However, you cannot be a GOAT candidate when you bring nothing to the table apart from goals. Without goals, Ronaldo is not even amongst the top 100 players of all time.

Without goals, Messi is still probably the greatest playmaker ever.

Ronaldo never had the creative genius of Messi & Maradona. He trained himself into a goal scoring machine & of course he deserved a lot of respect for that.

Messi & Maradona are artists, & Messi is on par, if not better, than Ronaldo at goals too.

Amazing how a poor country like Argentina has produced two of the greatest footballers of all time.

The debate is a difficult one to compare between eras.

People who have grown up listening on English football media will default to Maradonna.

After the epic phainta he gave England in 1986 the English have been captivated by him. People of a certain era have grown up listening to the stories of his wizardry in that tournament in particular ( its a coping mechanism of the English media as they believe they would have won the world cup had it not been for him). He left a deep scar on England and was a major news item because of this.

It's difficult for those people to accept Messi as an an equal ( or perhaps superior).

If Messi had similarly given England a phainta the powerful English media would go on about it and it would make his GOAT status acceptable to them.

I support Man United and I have seen my team win more trophies than you have.

Who cares about last season, where you beat Chelsea in two penalty shootouts after dead finals?

And I don't have a problem with Maradona being the GOAT. It is between him and Messi for me. But if we are talking Ronaldo and Messi, then there is no comparison. Messi is on another planet to Ronaldo. I don't care if Portugal win the world cup. Ronaldo will never be better than Messi in my eyes.

Utd fan :)))

We are still more successful than Utd and have been far better for years now. Keep living and dreaming of Sir Alex with your pillow and wipes.

Your eyes are your eyes, nobody cares pal, its just your opinion but a minority one. Most people will accept Ronaldo as the GOAT if he lifts the World Cup.

I agree he is a bit of an idiot for joining a shambles of Utd, should have stayed at Juve or better gone to City, the best team in Manchester.

It's funny how he's always barking at you for "you wouldn't know about football because you live in Pakistan" and "you've never watch a game in your life" bla bla bla when it's him who has the worst reading of the sport in the entire forum.

The number of times he's been left with egg on his face, I've lost count.

"stick to playing FIFA 2004 on PS1" :))

I can't believe someone who lives around Alum Rock can have the audacity to say this to anyone really.

PL to World Cup :)))

Get a football for your birthday and kick the ball. Ask one of your Arsenal mates to send you a visitor visa and watch a game even though its a rubbish team.

Atm Maradonna is the GOAT but it seems your understanding of English is becoming weaker.

IF Ronaldo wins the World Cup with Portugal he will be the GOAT.

IF Messi wins its......work the rest out.

Ronaldo is not even in the GOAT debate so whether Portugal wins the World Cup or not does not make a difference. He will still be in the shadow of Messi & Maradona.

Only Ronaldo fans think he is the GOAT. Everyone else who knows football will always say Messi is better. It is not even a question.

Winning or not winning the World Cup is not the end of the world. Many great players have won the World Cup while many average players have. It is a team achievement not an individual one.

Giroud has a World Cup trophy but Benzema doesn’t, but no one in his right mind would say that Giroud has had a better career.

Even if Ronaldo wins the World Cup by warming the bench, he will not be close to Messi. Messi’s 2014 World Cup golden ball is bigger than Ronaldo’s entire international career.

Ronaldo has played 5 World Cups & he has never been remotely close to winning the Golden Ball. What kind of GOAT is he? :klopp

Their support has continued from the days of Diego, reason why I follow them reguarly.

England fans in general are crying over Argentina because of the propaganda since the Falklands and Diego sending them home in tears.

Arg love football, a great night for them.

Yeah Diego captivated a whole generation for sure across the world.

But his effect was particularly strong on the English.

Even 30+ years later the hand of God and the second goal are deeply engrained on their psyche.

Anyone who thinks Ronaldo is better than Messi is either deluded or a hardcore Ronaldo fan.

Even if Portugal win the WC, Ronaldo is still far inferior to the Argentine genius.

Lionel Messi's World Cup dream lives on after Argentina edged out the Netherlands on penalties after a hugely dramatic quarter-final at Lusail Stadium.

Messi looked to have inspired Argentina into a last-four meeting with Brazil's conquerors Croatia when he set up Nahuel Molina's opener 10 minutes before the break and then added the second from the penalty spot in the 73rd minute after Denzel Dumfries fouled Marcos Acuna.

Louis van Gaal, in his final game as Dutch coach, went for broke and it paid off as substitute Wout Weghorst led a sensational comeback by scoring twice, the second following an audacious free-kick routine 11 minutes into stoppage time.

A game of many flashpoints and more than a dozen yellow cards went to penalties, during which Aston Villa's Argentina keeper Emi Martinez emerged as the hero, saving from Virgil van Dijk and Steven Berghuis.

Messi scored his penalty and even though pressure mounted on Argentina when Enzo Fernandez dragged his spot-kick wide, Lautaro Martinez made the decisive contribution to spark wild scenes of celebration.

Ronaldo is not even in the GOAT debate so whether Portugal wins the World Cup or not does not make a difference. He will still be in the shadow of Messi & Maradona.

Only Ronaldo fans think he is the GOAT. Everyone else who knows football will always say Messi is better. It is not even a question.

Winning or not winning the World Cup is not the end of the world. Many great players have won the World Cup while many average players have. It is a team achievement not an individual one.

Giroud has a World Cup trophy but Benzema doesn’t, but no one in his right mind would say that Giroud has had a better career.

Even if Ronaldo wins the World Cup by warming the bench, he will not be close to Messi. Messi’s 2014 World Cup golden ball is bigger than Ronaldo’s entire international career.

Ronaldo has played 5 World Cups & he has never been remotely close to winning the Golden Ball. What kind of GOAT is he? :klopp

Im not a Ronaldo fan, he played for Utd and see my pic its of a LFC fan.

As I said watch a game first and then talk. Sitting in Peshwar without playing the game shows you have little clue of the game.

There are certain players who are greats, out of those who in the World Cup decides who is the GOAT. Its simple but too simple for you.

In the last World Cup, he had a total of 13 shots all off-target. Doesn't make him a better player than dozens of strikers who've failed to win the world cup, for e.g. Lewandowski - let alone Messi.

Argentina are lucky to have two extremely talented Individuals in different eras but unlike Brazil don't have good support players to go all the way multiple times.

Brazil had two different generational combination of greats 1958-1970 and then 1994-2002.

I have to say I do think France is going through that as well but Karim's injury has dented their chances in this wc.

Yeah Diego captivated a whole generation for sure across the world.

But his effect was particularly strong on the English.

Even 30+ years later the hand of God and the second goal are deeply engrained on their psyche.

True but also they way he played , pretty much single handedly won the 86 World Cup. The further the tourny , the further he got.

Utd fan :)))

We are still more successful than Utd and have been far better for years now. Keep living and dreaming of Sir Alex with your pillow and wipes.

Your eyes are your eyes, nobody cares pal, its just your opinion but a minority one. Most people will accept Ronaldo as the GOAT if he lifts the World Cup.

I agree he is a bit of an idiot for joining a shambles of Utd, should have stayed at Juve or better gone to City, the best team in Manchester.

Liverpool fan with their history lessons. :)) You guys have won one league in 30 years. Yet you talk with so much chest. You are a shambles this season after your best player Mane left you in the summer. Soon Klopp will leave too and you will back to the dark days of Hodgson and Rogers. :misbah

One thing for sure if Portugal win the world cup, Ronaldo will be watching on from the bench. He won't play any part in Portugal winning the world cup, just like he played no part in them winning the Euros in 2016.

Millennial football fans are proper insecure.

As for Maradonna, he will remain the GOAT even if Messi wins the World Cup.

You just had to see how many Argentianan fans had Maradonna T-Shirts, Flags, Wigs in today's match.

Maradonna remains a God in Argentina, and THE GOAT around the world.

Amazing how a poor country like Argentina has produced two of the greatest footballers of all time.

People who have grown up listening on English football media will default to Maradonna.

After the epic phainta he gave England in 1986 the English have been captivated by him. People of a certain era have grown up listening to the stories of his wizardry in that tournament in particular ( its a coping mechanism of the English media as they believe they would have won the world cup had it not been for him). He left a deep scar on England and was a major news item because of this.

It's difficult for those people to accept Messi as an an equal ( or perhaps superior).

If Messi had similarly given England a phainta the powerful English media would go on about it and it would make his GOAT status acceptable to them.

I also find it funny how people in the UK are giving verdicts on how Argentinians fans would rate Messi if he doesn’t win the World Cup.

They don’t have a clue - I bet they have never heard from an Argentinian in their life.

Messi & Maradona are immortalized in Argentina. I remember watching a documentary a couple of years back, people in Argentina were asked about who they prefer.

An old man, who watched the entire career of Maradona said something along the lines of “it is like asking if you like your right eye more than your left eye”.

Argentinian fans have seen what Messi has done for their team, what he means to the other players of Argentina & how much he has suffered for them.

He could have easily played for Spain instead & won everything but he has always been there for his country where barely spent a few years of his childhood.

Messi’s legacy for Argentina is bigger than a World Cup trophy irrespective of the verdicts of English fans.

Speaking of English fans, one can barely imagine the hype if England would have ever produced a player half as good as Messi or Maradona.

Messi & Maradona are two of the greatest gifts the football world has ever seen & it is a miracle that they both emerged from the same country & within 2-3 decades.

Argentina isn't poor in thought process, they are also one of the if not only country to go from developed to developing.
Also Argentina has a lot of immigrants from different European countries so the genes are different compared to other Latin ones.

Brazil also has 5 WCs being actually poor throughout..

True but also they way he played , pretty much single handedly won the 86 World Cup. The further the tourny , the further he got.

These millenial fans have never seen Maradonna play. For them its just Messi vs Ronaldo.

Maradonna in World Cups was lightyears ahead, even comparing with peak Messi in WCs. This Is to say nothing of how Maradonna took near relegated Napoli to win Series A twice, again single handedly, and to win the European championship with Napoli.

And that 86 QF vs England will be etched in the annals of footballing history, 1 minute the hand of god, then next 5 min, the greatest goal of the century as voted by FIFA.

Millennial football fans are proper insecure.

As for Maradonna, he will remain the GOAT even if Messi wins the World Cup.

You just had to see how many Argentianan fans had Maradonna T-Shirts, Flags, Wigs in today's match.

Maradonna remains a God in Argentina, and THE GOAT around the world.

Do you consider Tendulkar as the GOAT Indian player because 1 billion Indians consider him "god"?

Im not a Ronaldo fan, he played for Utd and see my pic its of a LFC fan.

As I said watch a game first and then talk. Sitting in Peshwar without playing the game shows you have little clue of the game.

There are certain players who are greats, out of those who in the World Cup decides who is the GOAT. It’s simple but too simple for you.

Let me make it even more simpler - the gap between Messi & Ronaldo is too significant for a World Cup trophy to make a difference.

If you want to debate Messi vs Maradona, be my guest, but please don’t drag clearly inferior footballers into the GOAT debate.

Ronaldo should first convince his coach to start him & then dream of winning the World Cup. I’m sure at this stage he has already given up hopes of ever winning a golden ball.

5 World Cups & never got close. What a GOAT :))

Irrespective all the posters here enjoyed the game today no point fighting over who is better lets just enjoy the tournament and hope for Portugal vs Argentina final :p

Ability wise and talent wise, the greatest footballer I have seen isn't Messi, Ronaldo, Real Ronaldo or Maradonna. It is Ronaldinho. People need to put some respect on his name.

Argentina isn't poor in thought process, they are also one of the if not only country to go from developed to developing.
Also Argentina has a lot of immigrants from different European countries so the genes are different compared to other Latin ones.

Brazil also has 5 WCs being actually poor throughout..

Agree with bolded but there is still significant poverty - some of the tales of the players early lives and lack of facilities remind me of cricketers from rural villages in the subcontinent.

Some of the stories of the lives the players had when growing up

Ability wise and talent wise, the greatest footballer I have seen isn't Messi, Ronaldo, Real Ronaldo or Maradonna. It is Ronaldinho. People need to put some respect on his name.

Ronaldinho didn’t have the goal scoring ability of Messi, R9 & CR7. As a dribbler, he was sensational though & definitely the most entertaining/fun player to watch.

Entertainment wise only Neymar comes close but obviously Ronaldinho was a different breed.

No, because Tendulkar never won a World Cup single-handedly.

Fair enough.

The world cup argument is a solid one to differentiate between Messi/Maradona.

The popularity amongst Argentinians arguement is one I don't buy when it comes to determining their GOAT status.

Ronaldinho didn’t have the goal scoring ability of Messi, R9 & CR7. As a dribbler, he was sensational though & definitely the most entertaining/fun player to watch.

Entertainment wise only Neymar comes close but obviously Ronaldinho was a different breed.

Between 2001-06, Ronaldinho won everything, after that he lost motivation and wanted to party lol. He doesn't have the longevity or stats of Messi, CR7, R9, but an entertainer, there was no one like him. I definitely have him in my top 5.

Between 2001-06, Ronaldinho won everything, after that he lost motivation and wanted to party lol. He doesn't have the longevity or stats of Messi, CR7, R9, but an entertainer, there was no one like him. I definitely have him in my top 5.

It is a Brazilian problem - a lot of their players lack longevity. Neymar is only 30 but he looks like he is 35 & on his last legs.

He dribbled like Ronaldinho & finished like R9 in his youth but he never unlocked his true potential because of his laidback attitude. With his ability, he should have been a top 5 player of all time.

Nevertheless, he is a Brazilian legend & being their top scorer is no ordinary feat.

I believe the concept of GOAT is subjective.

In terms of statistics, Messi has way more goals than Maradona. Messi has close to 100 goals for Argentina. Maradona had less than 40.

Maradona has 8 World Cup goals while Messi has 10.

Messi is better in terms of statistics but whether or not he is better than Maradona is subjective.

Last edited:

Yea but he underdelivered on his own I still remember his speed almost seemed superhuman back then.

Yea but he underdelivered on his own I still remember his speed almost seemed superhuman back then.

He didn't have the motivation and too many outside distractions like partying. But at his best, he was a good as any player that I have seen.

Fair enough.

The world cup argument is a solid one to differentiate between Messi/Maradona.

The popularity amongst Argentinians arguement is one I don't buy when it comes to determining their GOAT status.

Maradonna has a special place in Argentianan hearts and folklore, apart from the obvious World Cup win, he beat England in 86 QF with the Hand of God goal, and the Goal of the century, within 5 mins, and the match being against England, was after the Falklands war in 82. Argentina had a score to settle with England, so you can imagine what the 86 win meant for Argentianans and continues to do so.

He didn't have the motivation and too many outside distractions like partying. But at his best, he was a good as any player that I have seen.

His freekick against England is still fresh in my mind

Liverpool fan with their history lessons. :)) You guys have won one league in 30 years. Yet you talk with so much chest. You are a shambles this season after your best player Mane left you in the summer. Soon Klopp will leave too and you will back to the dark days of Hodgson and Rogers. :misbah

One thing for sure if Portugal win the world cup, Ronaldo will be watching on from the bench. He won't play any part in Portugal winning the world cup, just like he played no part in them winning the Euros in 2016.

We have more major trophies than Utd, even after 30 years of no league win. :)) You keep praying Klopp leaves while kissing your Fergie pillow.

If Portugal win Ronaldo will defo play a part and will play better than he has done for Utd this season. He will then have more CL wins than Messi and a World Cup win to go with it. Its idiotic to then think Messi has been greater.

These millenial fans have never seen Maradonna play. For them its just Messi vs Ronaldo.

Maradonna in World Cups was lightyears ahead, even comparing with peak Messi in WCs. This Is to say nothing of how Maradonna took near relegated Napoli to win Series A twice, again single handedly, and to win the European championship with Napoli.

And that 86 QF vs England will be etched in the annals of footballing history, 1 minute the hand of god, then next 5 min, the greatest goal of the century as voted by FIFA.

Yes Napoli were struggling to make the top half of Seria A. Maradona arrives they win a European trophy but more importantly the Scudetto. That itself was a one of the greatest club achievements because of him.

Anyone who really knows football, just has to watch Maradonna & see his achievements and its clear hes the GOAT.

We have more major trophies than Utd, even after 30 years of no league win. :)) You keep praying Klopp leaves while kissing your Fergie pillow.

If Portugal win Ronaldo will defo play a part and will play better than he has done for Utd this season. He will then have more CL wins than Messi and a World Cup win to go with it. It’s idiotic to then think Messi has been greater.

You can win a World Cup by playing average football but you can never win the best player award without playing great.

As a self-proclaimed football expert, can you please enlighten us why Ronaldo has never come close to winning a golden ball at the World Cup & Euros?

9 tournaments for Portugal, 0 best player awards. Why?

Let me make it even more simpler - the gap between Messi & Ronaldo is too significant for a World Cup trophy to make a difference.

If you want to debate Messi vs Maradona, be my guest, but please don’t drag clearly inferior footballers into the GOAT debate.

Ronaldo should first convince his coach to start him & then dream of winning the World Cup. I’m sure at this stage he has already given up hopes of ever winning a golden ball.

5 World Cups & never got close. What a GOAT :))

Its not even close in terms of winning trophies. Add the World Cup to Ronaldos resume and hes the goat. Its a simple formula to judge, which most with any football knowledge use. Dont worry yourself football isnt your sport, stick to PS1.

You can win a World Cup by playing average football but you can never win the best player award without playing great.

As a self-proclaimed football expert, can you please enlighten us why Ronaldo has never come close to winning a golden ball at the World Cup & Euros?

Individual achievements arent anywhere near the teams achievements esp big trophies such as League titles, Champions leauge, European Championship and World Cups. Only playstation players who cant kick a ball, think your way.

Excellent analysis.

I know Messi has been player of the tournament at least twice. 2014 WC and in last year's Copa America. Has he achieved this in other tournaments for Argentina do you know?

Y’ll need to stop being so bitter! for all we know Mbappe will win the wc on his own lol

This whole Messi vs Ronaldo debate can be settled by this World Cup. If Argentina and Messi win the WC, Messi is the GOAT and up there with Diego Maradona.

If Ronaldo and Portugal win the WC, then he is the GOAT.

Y’ll need to stop being so bitter! for all we know Mbappe will win the wc on his own lol

Good point. Kylian has one WC , if he gets to 3 he will be the GOAT.

This whole Messi vs Ronaldo debate can be settled by this World Cup. If Argentina and Messi win the WC, Messi is the GOAT and up there with Diego Maradona.

Thanks, very simple to understand.

I agree.

Only thing these two are missing is a world title.

But, there is a good possibility neither may win it. France are strong enough to win World Cup again.

If Portugal win Ronaldo will defo play a part and will play better than he has done for Utd this season. He will then have more CL wins than Messi and a World Cup win to go with it. Its idiotic to then think Messi has been greater.

How many trophies did you see Liverpool win in your lifetime? How many league titles? I have seen Man United win 8 league titles. How many have you seen?

The only part Ronaldo will play in Portugal's potential win is to be a cheerleader on the sidelines, that is if he doesn't leave the stadium early to go and cry to his mate Piers Morgan that he isn't playing anymore.

Messi played a no look amazing pass for the first goal. Ronaldo is never doing that in a million years. But Ronaldo is the GOAT, if Portugal win the world cup, even if Ronaldo's sole contribution in this world cup might only be a penalty that he dived to win. :))

The media has done a number on people apparently. So much hate for Ronaldo who at worse is the second best player of his generation.

Father time is undefeated and Ronaldo is no longer the player he once was. However he can still play an effective role of the bench. Come in the last 25 to 30 minutes.

The picture that shames Argentina as Otamendi takes victory celebrations to embarrassing new low

On a feisty night full of tantrums, Argentina kept launching toys out of their pram even as Lautaro Martinez thrashed in his winner to send them through 4-3 on penalties. It had been 120 minutes of argy bargy, with a ball smashed into the dugout and bookings all over the pitch as a so-far serene World Cup finally lost its rag.

But then Nicolas Otamendi took matters to an embarrassing new low. As the deciding penalty went in, the Benfica defender arched his run to ensure he was within 5ft of the bereft Dutch players and then cupped his ears. The toddler-level antics, caught brilliantly in a picture, might just have surrendered Argentina's status as the romantics' favourites at this tournament.

The heated scenes even continued post match. Lionel Messi was seen in an angry confrontation with Edgar Davids and Louis van Gaal.

Even the normally affable Emiliano Martinez was winning few friends after angrily hitting out at the referee and Van Gaal after his penalty-saving masterclass.

"The ref was giving everything for them," he said, claiming Antonio Mateu Lahoz had given 10 minutes of added time "for no reason". "He was giving free-kicks outside the box for them, like two, three times," he added. "He just wanted them to score, that's basically it. So, hopefully we don’t have him that ref anymore. He's useless."

Then he turned on Van Gaal over his comments prior to the game that he was looking for a "penalty killer". "I heard Van Gaal saying 'we've got an advantage in penalties, if we go to penalties we win'," said Martinez. "I think he needs to keep his mouth shut."

In an ill-tempered tie, Spanish referee Mateu doled out 14 cautions as the players from both sides were involved in more than one melee.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/fi...sedgntp&cvid=6678431d1ee244fdaa8e406059a3e921

Individual achievements arent anywhere near the teams achievements esp big trophies such as League titles, Champions leauge, European Championship and World Cups. Only playstation players who cant kick a ball, think your way.

It is not like Ronaldo has won a lot more with Portugal. Both Messi & Ronaldo have won 1 major international trophy but Ronaldo wasn’t even on the pitch when Portugal won the Euro 2016 final.

Let me ask again - 9 tournaments, 0 best player awards. Where do you think it went wrong for Ronaldo?

Its not even close in terms of winning trophies. Add the World Cup to Ronaldos resume and hes the goat. It’s a simple formula to judge, which most with any football knowledge use. Dont worry yourself football isnt your sport, stick to PS1.

Only people who know nothing about football judge individual players by team trophies won. I think you are following the wrong sport - tennis would be more up your alley.

Anyone with any half decent understanding to football can tell that Messi is comfortably a better footballer than Ronaldo & this is why the almost everyone except Ronaldo fans consider him the best.

As I said, Ronaldo should first convince his coach to get him back in the playing XI & then dream of winning the World Cup. On the other hand, Messi is hot favorite for winning his second golden ball at World Cups & carrying Argentina on his shoulders yet again.

Messi is carrying Argentina; Portugal is carrying Ronaldo.

Messi
Daylight
Ronaldo

End of debate.

It is not like Ronaldo has won a lot more with Portugal. Both Messi & Ronaldo have won 1 major international trophy but Ronaldo wasn’t even on the pitch when Portugal won the Euro 2016 final.

Let me ask again - 9 tournaments, 0 best player awards. Where do you think it went wrong for Ronaldo?

Ronaldo had 3 World Cup in his prime. In 2010 & 2018 Portugal were knocked out in Rd of 16. And in 2014 the group stage. You really cant get the best player award when you are knocked out that early.

As far as the Euros they don't give anything to second and third place like the "Silver Ball", & " Bronze Ball". I think Ronaldo would have been in contention for those in 2012 and 2016 if they were available.

<b>Guys

There are other Messi and Ronaldo threads.

This is the World Cup Matchday thread.

Thanks</b>

2022 FIFA World Cup in Qatar: Matchday & Tournament Thread

The Netherlands can go home with their heads held high, having staged one of the greatest comebacks ever that I´ve ever seen in a knock-out match of a football game. What a game, what a nervous little thriller! This is why we love this game, don´t we?

Messi´s dream, a dream in which he´s accompanied by millions around the world, stays alive; stays alive but only just, only just.

2022 FIFA World Cup in Qatar: Matchday & Tournament Thread

As for the earlier game yesterday, I´ve been left gutted, heart-broken, disappointed, and devastated by what Brazil have done. I´ve been noticing this since many years now in the recent generations of their players that they focus too heavily on passion and emotions and go into big games with too much of a hot head (if I can use the term) and, as a result of which, they end up missing a thing or two in the skull. They use their hearts over brains too much and keep paying for it. Seeing their players reminds of so much of how the Afghanistan team goes on about their business in cricket. Such an attitude can easily blur your thinking and invite stupid mistakes. It´s best to treat it just as a game - at least to certain extents. Brazil must address this problem soon.

The victory was richly deserved by Croatia. What a wonderful comeback they made and how pleasing to watch was that goal by them! It´s amazing how they manage to keep staying in contention for big tournaments, despite the fact that nobody ever discusses them much in the hype prior to the tournament.

Lionel Messi slams World Cup referee after Holland vs Argentina horror show

Lionel Messi has urged FIFA to drop Antonio Mateu Lahoz after his horror show during Argentina’s 2022 World Cup quarter-final victory over the Netherlands.

Argentina prevailed over Holland on penalties at the Lusail Stadium in Qatar on Friday, after the Dutch came from 2-0 down to level the match after normal time.

It was an epic encounter, though marred by numerous ugly scenes, with fights continuously breaking out between the players.

Spanish referee Lahoz failed to keep control of the two teams, as well as their coaching staff and as the game wore on seemed to just be booking players for the sake of it.

Commentators watching the match could not keep track of how many yellow cards were handed out, with the number later confirmed to be 15 – a World Cup record for a single match.

Eight were given to Holland and seven to Argentina, as well as two more that were shown to the coaching staff, with some of those even handed out during the penalty shootout itself.

Emotions continued to spill over after the full-time whistle, and main man Messi, himself booked, could not hide his frustration post-match.

MSN

Lionel Messi slams World Cup referee after Holland vs Argentina horror show

Lionel Messi has urged FIFA to drop Antonio Mateu Lahoz after his horror show during Argentina’s 2022 World Cup quarter-final victory over the Netherlands.

Argentina prevailed over Holland on penalties at the Lusail Stadium in Qatar on Friday, after the Dutch came from 2-0 down to level the match after normal time.

It was an epic encounter, though marred by numerous ugly scenes, with fights continuously breaking out between the players.

Spanish referee Lahoz failed to keep control of the two teams, as well as their coaching staff and as the game wore on seemed to just be booking players for the sake of it.

Commentators watching the match could not keep track of how many yellow cards were handed out, with the number later confirmed to be 15 – a World Cup record for a single match.

Eight were given to Holland and seven to Argentina, as well as two more that were shown to the coaching staff, with some of those even handed out during the penalty shootout itself.

Emotions continued to spill over after the full-time whistle, and main man Messi, himself booked, could not hide his frustration post-match.

MSN

Referee was incompetent really. Gave away 10+ yellow cards. It wasn't that bad.

Back