Asia Cup 2023: Sri Lanka overcome spirited Afghanistan chase to reach Super Fours

MenInG

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
One huge loss is all it takes to edge closer to elimination in this format of the tournament. Bangladesh, under intense pressure in the game against Afghanistan, came up with a scintillating performance with the bat to shift that pressure onto their opponents. And now, Afghanistan are under the pump and are in need of a Herculean effort with both bat and ball to progress to the Super Four.

It will be no easy task given Sri Lanka themselves are in good form despite missing some key bowlers. Sri Lanka breezed past Bangladesh to currently top the group and will have to avoid a huge defeat in this encounter to progress into the Super Four.

Following their win over Afghanistan, Bangladesh are almost through to the Super Four. Even if Afghanistan manage to win by a huge margin to topple Bangladesh in terms of NRR, it will be Sri Lanka who will be under the pump as their NRR would likely fall below Bangladesh's. This three-way tussle is extremely close, but in reality, two out of those three teams are the favourites to go through.

If Sri Lanka end up posting 300, Afghanistan will have to chase it down with almost 19 overs to spare to go past Bangladesh's NRR. And if Afghanistan end up making 300 with the bat by batting first, the margin of defeat will have to be at least 127 runs. Both these tasks are no mean feat.

These two sides did face off as recently as in June and even though Afghanistan won the opening ODI, Sri Lanka staged a strong comeback to thrash their opponents in the next two to seal the series. In that final ODI in particular, they just blew away their opponents in style with the ball and Afghanistan would be wary of that.

However, it's their performance with the ball against Bangladesh that would concern them. Both Mujeeb ur Rahman and Rashid Khan ended up conceding runs at over six an over. They will back themselves to bounce back against a batting line up that stuttered to chase down a 160-plus target just a few days ago but how much burden will they have to shoulder to turn their fortunes around is the question.

When: Afghanistan vs Sri Lanka on September 5, 2023 at 14:30 local time, 15:00 IST

Where: Gaddafi Stadium, Lahore

What to expect: While rain continues to threaten the games in Sri Lanka, there is no such issue in Lahore with the temperatures expected to be warm. Seamers generally make an impact at this venue.

Team News

Afghanistan

Najibullah Zadran needs runs but there is doubt that he will be dropped for this crucial encounter. In the bowling department, Fazalhaq Farooqi and Gulabdin Naib went for runs. It will be interesting to see if they stick with them or opt to make a change.

Sri Lanka

The chances of Sri Lanka making changes to their winning combination are quite slim.

Squads:

Sri Lanka Squad: Pathum Nissanka, Dimuth Karunaratne, Kusal Mendis(w), Sadeera Samarawickrama, Charith Asalanka, Dhananjaya de Silva, Dasun Shanaka(c), Dunith Wellalage, Maheesh Theekshana, Kasun Rajitha, Matheesha Pathirana, Kusal Perera, Binura Fernando, Pramod Madushan, Dushan Hemantha

Afghanistan Squad: Rahmanullah Gurbaz(w), Ibrahim Zadran, Rahmat Shah, Hashmatullah Shahidi(c), Najibullah Zadran, Mohammad Nabi, Gulbadin Naib, Karim Janat, Rashid Khan, Mujeeb Ur Rahman, Fazalhaq Farooqi, Riaz Hassan, Ikram Alikhil, Abdul Rahman, Sharafuddin Ashraf, Noor Ahmad, Suliman Safi

==

All posters please take note of the following guidelines for match threads on PakPassion:

1. No personal insults at other posters, players, officials, coaching staffs etc.

2. No making fun of player's, official's, coaching staff's names.

3. Do not add any references to media, their social media or post any pictures or screenshots from other sports websites.

4. Stick to commenting on this match. There is no need to bring other countries into the match discussion as there are plenty of other threads where those discussions can be added.

Sri Lanka should win this hands down. Afghanistan are an over hyped team, rated on the basis of T20 exploits by some of their players like Rashid Khan, Nabi, Farooqi, etc. In longer formats they are a nothing team.

Afghanistan may come out all guns firing. They are brutal in patches especially spin bowling and lower middle order batting. Hope we get a crunch match. Will go for afghanistan to win this one and create an excitement in this rain driven tournament

Sri Lanka should win this hands down. Afghanistan are an over hyped team, rated on the basis of T20 exploits by some of their players like Rashid Khan, Nabi, Farooqi, etc. In longer formats they are a nothing team.
All three one day matches against us were close ..they should have won definately the second one and lost two crucial tosses on the other.

Teams:

Afghanistan: Rahmanullah Gurbaz(w), Ibrahim Zadran, Rahmat Shah, Hashmatullah Shahidi(c), Najibullah Zadran, Mohammad Nabi, Gulbadin Naib, Karim Janat, Rashid Khan, Mujeeb Ur Rahman, Fazalhaq Farooqi

Sri Lanka: Pathum Nissanka, Dimuth Karunaratne, Kusal Mendis(w), Sadeera Samarawickrama, Charith Asalanka, Dhananjaya de Silva, Dasun Shanaka(c), Dunith Wellalage, Maheesh Theekshana, Kasun Rajitha, Matheesha Pathirana

Sri Lanka have won the toss and have opted to bat

Bummer for Nissanka! Hits a four and then gone the next ball

SL 82/2 (15)

Gulbaddin has somehow bowled quite well these days. Afghani McGrath. 😀

Gulbadin turned this game around, looks like SL heading towards a slippery slope.

SL 89/3 (18.1)

Sri lanka will win boys. Afghanistan is still a minnow.

Bangla vs Pakistan tmr, game on hai

All that mussle in gulbadien and still bowls below 130kph
Ive also noticed that other bulk bowlers, like Colin de Grandhomme, Mitchell Marsh, Marcus Stoinis rarely bowled at speeds of 140k +, they bowl around 135.

There seems to be some link where having bulk muscle isn't ideal for bowlers? It would be great for any expert to explain this

Rashid seems like an average ODI bowler
It's because lahore pitch doesn't spin for spinners. It's a batting paradise pitch where every team ends up scoring 300+.

Only time that can't score 300+ here is Afghanistan due to their brittle batting line up.

Rashid seems like an average ODI bowler
It's because lahore pitch doesn't spin for spinners. It's a batting paradise pitch where every team ends up scoring 300+.

Only time that can't score 300+ here is Afghanistan due to their brittle batting line up.

What is the margin needed for afghanistan to win and qualify for super 4s?

Ive also noticed that other bulk bowlers, like Colin de Grandhomme, Mitchell Marsh, Marcus Stoinis rarely bowled at speeds of 140k +, they bowl around 135.

There seems to be some link where having bulk muscle isn't ideal for bowlers? It would be great for any expert to explain this
Yeah I have also noticed that..but than again S.Akter was built like a tank as well

Unless a freak innings by gurbaz I think SL have this match. Either way don't think Afg can chase this down in 35 overs

Highest partnerships for 8th wicket or below in Asia Cup (ODIs)

100 - Fawad Alam, Sohail Tanvir (PAK) vs Hong Kong, Karachi, 2008
95* - Gulbadin Naib, Rashid Khan (AFG) vs BAN, Abu Dhabi, 2018
66 - Mashrafe Mortaza, Mehidy Hasan Miraz (BAN) vs IND, Dubai, 2018
64 - Maheesh Theekshana, Dunith Wellalage (SL) vs AFG, Lahore, 2023

This is not Afg tournament. They are showing intent, but they are out of luck too. Their star players are out of form which has seriously impacted their chances.

Pathirana is bowling a disciplined over, against the newbie Shahidi.

AFG 54/3 (9.5)

Overthrow run and a smooth four, Good for AFG!

AFG 121/3 18.1

I have just one question...where was this intent against Bangladesh.. They bat deep yet they tuk tukked all the way...i even thought 334 was chasable but atleast get 300 their tactics were very strange. Now they could easily have chased this target but due to 37 overs i think they will miss out.

Has Bangladesh qualified? I'm not getting it.

Is there a way where Bangladesh fails to qualify

Uff. Lahore under lights has always been a very tough venue to defend unless it's a used/sluggish pitch or the team batting first is significantly stronger than the chasing side.

Nabi is making Srilankans sweat. One wicket here, Lankans will be back big time.

Ohmannn loving this onslaught by nabiiiiii

The 40plus year old nabi is spanking these Lankan kids.

Making a game out of literally nothing

Uff. Lahore under lights has always been a very tough venue to defend unless it's a used/sluggish pitch or the team batting first is significantly stronger than the chasing side.
WC final 96 comes to mind straightaway

If Nabi wins this for Afg, this will be one of the best innings ever I have seen. Some serious hammering he is giving to Lankans.

Najibillah is also a hitter if a wicket falls he would be the last guy that can help them win

Ohhh that was a good shot but caught in the end.. that sucks. Now upto najib to do something

yes they have.If srilanka loses then their NRR will go below bangladesh
it is either between srilanka and afghanistan. if srilanka scores around 300 runs afghanistan will have to chase it down around 36-37 overs in order to be qualified onn nrr . it was somewhere written on cricbuzz intro of the match

WC final 96 comes to mind straightaway
Yeah even in those days. Even the 97 quadrangular tournament in Pakistan, only South Africa defended under lights and that too because they took a bunch of wickets upfront and by the barest of margins. SL chased 280 in 40 overs against PAK attack I think. Always been a tough place to defend under lights

Yeah even in those days. Even the 97 quadrangular tournament in Pakistan, only South Africa defended under lights and that too because they took a bunch of wickets upfront and by the barest of margins. SL chased 280 in 40 overs against PAK attack I think. Always been a tough place to defend under lights
There is movement under lights but it comes on better.

Cam bangaldesh not qualify? I don't get it? Bangaldesh is behind run rate, Sri lanka has a higher run rate.

Najib, Rashid Mujib all can hit big! We will have a thrilling finish here. Now a days Asia cup are better than the World Cup.

Cam bangaldesh not qualify? I don't get it? Bangaldesh is behind run rate, Sri lanka has a higher run rate.
if Aghanistan wins in 37.2 overs SL NRR will go below both BD and AFG otherwise SL and BD go through.

Bangladesh has already qualified. Bd net run rate is +0.37 while Srilanka has +0.95 and Afghanistan has -1.78. If Afghanistan able to reach 292 in 37 overs then Srilankas net run will get hammered and will be below Bangladesh’s run rate. Bangladesh will be the group champion I gues while Afghanistan will go through to super 4.

Karim Janna now striking. Till they have najibullah in the dugout anything can happen

Sri Lanka would be much easier opponent in super 4 compare to Afghanistan! Let the best team go to super 4!

Mature batting by afg today with the way Hashanah has batted. Used his brain and playing a proper captains knocn where one end is saved

If najib gets out than its game over for the afghans

Hashmat is out. Probably send out mujeeb for some hitting

I'm suprised by how terrible Sri lanka fast bowling is lol.

I want Afghans to win ironically.

54 of 5 overs, come on boys

Back