Australia (299 & 130/2) defeat Pakistan (313 & 115) by 8 wickets in the 3rd Test to win the series 3-0

8 wicket beating in the end. 360 run thrashing in the first Test.

PAK will rue that 2nd Test loss

Second and Third tests both. We were let down by all three departments when it mattered the most.

Result was expected before the series. But Pakistan had their moments mainly thanks to Jamal. If Faheem had played in place of him this would have been absolute pounding.

The wait continues for Pakistan. They played well in patches. Consistency was missing.
One batsman from Pakistan should have taken up the scoring load. Either Masood or Babar. But both fell way short of expectations.
Pakistan bowling was very competitive throughout the series. Fielding let Pakistan down at crucial moments.

Cricket Australia fully reserves the right to avoid inviting Pakistan for the next 6-7 years and to downgrade our tests to 2 test match series. Maybe they should ask the PCB to compensate them for gate receipt losses for games that don't get completed in full five days. There has to be a mechanism to make the PCB take preperations for an Australian test series seriously

Cricket Australia fully reserves the right to avoid inviting Pakistan for the next 6-7 years and to downgrade our tests to 2 test match series. Maybe they should ask the PCB to compensate them for gate receipt losses for games that don't get completed in full five days. There has to be a mechanism to make the PCB take preperations for an Australian test series seriously
this is it,

i dont think pakistan is going to ever play a test match in australia again

On the contrary we always provide surefire WTC points, so they may stick with 3

What should hurt them more is not being able to beat Australia at home as well. THey need to start creating different kind of pitches at home and get used to it. Need tough pitches at home in order to handle tough pitches outside. If you are so used to roads you will be exposed overseas.

this is it,

i dont think pakistan is going to ever play a test match in australia again

Quite the opposite. Pakistan is a 250 million plus market with per capita income that will only increase with time.

AUS/ENG will only want to develop this market to sell the rights for more in future as well as hedge the risk of overexposure to India.

Expect Pakistan to get regular invites than in the past.

Amair Jamal got player of the match??

This is after such a long time i am seeing a player from the losing side with this award

Another Series defeat for Pakistan. Another loss on the Australian soil.

1704510481206.png

Cummins is having Amazing time as captain. Retained the Ashes. Won WTC final, World cup. Now whitewashed Pakistan to lead the WTC table. Now Australia has become no.1 ranked side in the world in Tests.

Expected series results. 3-0 was predicted before the series start .
Pakistan don't have winning mentality for Australian conditions even though they were Ahead in the game

Minnow getting beaten by a top 3 team.

Even AFG and NL can run big teams close, but at the end of the day it’s still 1-0, 2-0, 3-0

Yet another series defeat for Pakistan in Australia. Is it the mentality or mistake that this team is not learning from? They had many chances to pluck a win here but missed due to a poor show in Batting and fielding especially.

Quite the opposite. Pakistan is a 250 million plus market with per capita income that will only increase with time.

AUS/ENG will only want to develop this market to sell the rights for more in future as well as hedge the risk of overexposure to India.

Expect Pakistan to get regular invites than in the past.
hardly anyone cares about test cricket in Pakistan.

Crowds in "Fortress" Karachi for test cricket have been near empty, similar in Lahore, and Multan. In Pindi, crowds are decent, but still very little for a population of 220 mil

Since 2000 Highest balls faced by a Pakistani in Australia

350 plus balls

Azhar Ali 878
Salman Butt 629
Younis Khan 609
Younis Khan 513
Asad Shafiqu 438
Salman Butt 395
Yasir Shah 377
Shan Masood 355 (2019/20)
Since 2000 Highest balls faced by a Pakistani in Australia

350 plus balls

Azhar Ali 878
Salman Butt 629
Younis Khan 609
Younis Khan 513
Asad Shafiqu 438
Salman Butt 395
Yasir Shah 377
Shan Masood 355 (2019/20)
Amazing that Yasir Shah is on this list!

Last 5 years Pakistan's test record Home and Away

Opposition
Matches
Won
Lost
Draw
Srilanka6411
Bangladesh3300
South Africa3210
Zimbabwe2200
West Indies2110
Australia8062
England6042
New Zealand4022

Australia defeat Pakistan by eight wickets in third Test

David Warner enjoyed a fairytale finish to his Test career as his half-century spearheaded Australia’s comfortable chase of the 130-run target on day four of the SCG Test against Pakistan. Australia’s eight-wicket win, following victories in Perth and Melbourne, sees them claim another series sweep over Pakistan at home.

The day began with solid resistance offered by Mohammad Rizwan and Aamer Jamal over the course of the first hour. The two nudged the ball around to help Pakistan cross the 100-run mark before Rizwan (28, 57b, 1x4) eventually fell to Nathan Lyon. The wicketkeeper-batter, who ends the series as Pakistan’s leading scorer with 193 runs in four innings, inside-edged the Lyon delivery to Warner at first slip.

Pakistan’s woes worsened when Aamer (18, 47b, 2x4s) was caught by Travis Head at deep square leg while attempting to whack one out of the park off the bowling of Pat Cummins. Lyon did the honours of taking the last Pakistan wicket to fall when he dismissed Hasan Ali as the visitors were all out for 115.

Australia’s pursuit of the modest target of 130 was disrupted early with the wicket of Usman Khawaja in the first over. Khawaja, dismissed for nought, was beaten by a Sajid Khan delivery to hit his pads and was adjudged LBW.

The first-over wicket did little to deter Australia’s charge as Warner unleashed an array of attacking strokes to put his team in the ascendancy. He employed some adventurous strokeplay marked by the use of switch-hits and reverse sweeps to bring up the 37th and final fifty of his Test career.

Australia went to lunch needing only 39 runs more for victory with Marnus Labuschagne also growing in confidence. With Australia 11 runs short of the target, Sajid removed Warner (57, 75b, 7x4s) following a successful review of an LBW shout turned down by the on-field umpire.

Labuschagne knocked off the winning run, finishing the chase unbeaten on 62 off 73 balls with nine fours.

Aamer was declared player of the match for his stellar 82 in the first innings followed by a brilliant six-fer with the ball. Meanwhile, Australia captain Cummins was named player of the series for his series-topping tally of 19 wickets.

The post-match presentation ceremony highlighted by heartwarming tributes for Warner also saw Pakistan skipper Shan Masood presenting a signed Babar Azam jersey as a parting gift to the retiring opener.

Scores in brief

Australia beat Pakistan by eight wickets

Pakistan 313 all out, 77.1 overs (Mohammad Rizwan 88, Aamer Jamal 82, Salman Ali Agha 53, Shan Masood 35; Pat Cummins 5-61, Mitchell Starc 2-75, Mitchell Marsh 1-27) and 115 all out, 43.1 overs (Saim Ayub 33, Mohammad Rizwan 28, Babar Azam 23; Josh Hazlewood 4-16, Nathan Lyon 3-36)

Australia 299 all out, 109.4 overs (Marnus Labuschagne 60, Mitchell Marsh 54, Usman Khawaja 47, Alex Carey 38, Steven Smith 38; Aamer Jamal 6-69, Salman Ali Agha 2-43) and 130-2, 25.5 overs (Marnus Labuschagne 62 not out, David Warner 57; Sajid Khan 2-49)

Player of the match – Aamer Jamal (Pakistan)

Player of the series – Pat Cummins (Australia)

SOURCE: PCB

Last edited:
I am only refreshing the thread to read about Hafeez's post match/series assessment.

Pak had the chance to win the series by 2-1, but as usual its again a clean sweep by Australia. Any other good team would not have slipped that chance in second test and would have made a nail bighter here in sydney after that marginal difference in first innings.

Pakistan team simply doesn't have the skills and mental ability to win.
Drop catches, ineffective slow pacers, no quality spinners, batsmen who can't score a long innings, the list goes on. Forget about away series, winning at home is also going to get difficult.

Australia Wins Third Test by Eight Wickets, Sweeps Series Against Pakistan

In the third Test at the SCG, Australia clinched an eight-wicket victory over Pakistan, with David Warner playing a pivotal role in the successful chase of 130 runs on the fourth day. This win, following triumphs in Perth and Melbourne, secured a series clean sweep for Australia against Pakistan on their home turf.

The day's play started with Mohammad Rizwan and Aamir Jamal showing resilience, pushing Pakistan past 100 runs. However, Rizwan, Pakistan's top scorer in the series with 193 runs, was caught by Warner off Nathan Lyon's bowling. Pakistan's situation deteriorated when Aamir, trying to hit big off Pat Cummins, was caught by Travis Head. Lyon wrapped up Pakistan's innings, dismissing Hasan Ali, with Pakistan all out for 115.

Australia's chase faced an early setback when Usman Khawaja was dismissed for a duck by Sajid Khan. However, Warner's aggressive batting, featuring switch-hits and reverse sweeps, led to his 37th and final Test fifty.

At lunch, Australia was comfortably positioned, needing just 39 more runs. Warner was eventually dismissed for 57 by Sajid, following a successful LBW review. Labuschagne, remaining not out on 62, hit the winning run, sealing the victory for Australia.

Aamir Jamal was named player of the match for his outstanding first innings score of 82 and a six-wicket haul. Pat Cummins, with the highest wicket tally in the series, was declared player of the series.

The post-match ceremony was marked by touching farewells for Warner, including a special gift from Pakistan captain Shan Masood – a signed Babar Azam jersey.

Brief Scores:
Australia defeated Pakistan by eight wickets.
Pakistan: 313 & 115 (Rizwan 88 & 28, Aamir Jamal 82, Hazlewood 4-16, Lyon 3-36)
Australia: 299 & 130-2 (Labuschagne 60 & 62*, Warner 57, Sajid Khan 2-49)
Match Awards: Player of the Match - Aamir Jamal (Pakistan), Player of the Series - Pat Cummins (Australia)

Too many batsman can't play the bouncing ball in SENA countries. Abdullah and Saud got found out. Missing easy catches in the slips too. The fielding was not good enough. Babar looks to be carrying extra weight. Two main fast bowlers couldn't play due to mismanagement; playing too many white ball matches so got injured. Even Abrar is injured. Test cricket is the pinnacle shouldn't be rested at the SCG in a Test which is highlight of a Test cricketer's career; better to miss white ball stuff.

On the positive side Jamal is a find and to a lesser extent Agha Salman. Pakistan may have got their No 7 and 8 batsman. A lesson could be to give more Pakistan domestic players a chance to play these matches. Some players grow under pressure and some shrink. And don't stick with same old players. If Naseem or Rauf were playing them Jamal would not have been in the squad and we would never know how could he is. Shan as captain is building a more supportive environment for young players to come into.

Mohammad Hafeez in his post-game presser after a 3-0 whitewash at the hands of Australia.

"Well, obviously, we learned a hard lesson as a team. I think we had our moments, but we could not overcome Australia. Obviously, 3-0 is not something we were looking for as a team. We did do some things really well in this series, but in the crucial moments of the game, we could not win, and that's the reason that we ended up with a 3-0 loss in this series."

Regarding Sajid Khan not being used enough:

"It is something related to the captain; I think bowlers were available, and it's the captain's tactics. One thing we were sure about is that we wanted to ball more overs from the off-spinner because this track can offer a lot of assistance to the off-spinner from the other end, but for the rest of the things, obviously, the captain, whoever he thinks was the best, proceeded accordingly."

"Yes, we lost the series but the idea behind it was to watch the talent of the players and we have seen some glimpses of that. There were certain moments in the game where if we had grabbed opportunities, that could have made a major difference. Especially in Melbourne, when they were 16/4, if we had grabbed the initiative, it could have been a hundred and 140-150 that we had to chase, but the target went up to 300 plus. Again, even here at SCG, we dropped catches in the first inning like that of Mitchell Marsh. These are the moments that obviously highlight the negative side of our effort. As part of the coaching staff, I know that we work hard on it but unfortunately, the players who were on the field could not respond accordingly and this is one area we need to work on."

Regarding Shan Masood and Aamer Jamal:

"Playing cricket with the right spirit of the game, our captain led the side very well. He made some very right calls at the right time because it's not all about your cricket it's also about are you behave as an Ambassador so I think he did most of the things right when it comes to the game.

"Aamer Jamal is someone we are praising for the right reason because he stood up to the challenge. Obviously, before that, he was not being given enough chances at that level and he was one of those guys who was waiting for this opportunity once he was presented with this chance, he grabbed it with both hands, and I am really proud of him."

Regarding Babar Azam:

“Obviously, when you don’t score big runs, the pressure piles up on you as a cricketer. However, the amount of effort he puts in every day is commendable. He is the first person to start batting in the net and the last person to leave. His attitude is always geared towards learning and contributing, so I have no doubts that someone with such a positive attitude can bounce back very soon. Technically, he is a very solid player, but obviously, the lean patch of not performing well is something he must be thinking about. I have no concerns about it because I believe that he is putting in the right effort and things will turn out well for him very soon. A big innings will restore his confidence, which I hope he will play very soon.”​

Pakistan captain Shan Masood speaking during Post-game presentation interview:

“A bit similar to Melbourne. We are learning things the hard way. We have to look at a lot of positives. Taking a lead, putting a good score on the board, again missing a few chances, that could have been a lead of 50-60 if we had got a player like Mitchell Marsh out over there. It's a bit of a deja vu since Melbourne but a lot of positives to look at. When we're facing Australia in their conditions, there's going to be a response like yesterday. They went searching for wickets and they are quality bowlers. We made a few mistakes which left the gate open and they made full use of it. The thinking was to have the spinner bowl from the start, to pick up a wicket. David Warner and Marnus Labuschagne counterattacked a bit and that set us back in the game. Realistically, we would have liked anything over 200. That makes a different game, that makes the batsmen not take that many risks early on. With 130, you can have a go at the start and then have your batsmen sort of defend if it needs to be. We were quite a few runs short at the end of it. The Australians bowled really well in the second innings. That's a lesson to learn that it's a game of four innings and not two innings, we are learning it the hard way. It is more about team goals. If you look at our batting unit, Rizwan top-scored but nobody scored over 200 runs in the series. We picked 20 wickets in Melbourne, we got them out over here in Sydney, got some wickets in Perth as well, those are positive things that we are doing as a side. If we can make those little improvements, grab onto those chances, make those fifties into hundreds, convert those three fers into fifers, little improvements. If we can take it forward with us, we've got 10 months to play our next Test match, so plenty of time for the players to go back and reapply themselves. Hopefully, when we get together as a squad in August to play Bangladesh, we can continue playing cricket the same way. We want to give a token of appreciation and a parting gift to David Warner. (Babar Azam jersey signed by all current Pakistan players).”

Player of the Match, Aamer Jamal during Post-game presentation interview:

“I waited so long to get to this stage (on his Test debut for Pakistan). First of all, I would like to congratulate the team Australia, they've been outstanding in all three departments - batting, bowling, and fielding. Thanks to everyone who came here to watch us in these games. My feelings were incredible, I was over the moon. Performing in front of this great (Australian) side wasn't easy for me but I stuck to my basics and stuck to my passion, that's why I got success. (On his batting) I loved every moment, I knew they were coming hard at us, and I was trying not to give up. I was enjoying every single ball whatever was coming towards me. We have got Mir Hamza, Shaheen Afridi, and Hasan Ali as well, they are very good new-ball operators. I will stick to the first or second change.”​

Australia Wins Third Test by Eight Wickets, Sweeps Series Against Pakistan

In the third Test at the SCG, Australia clinched an eight-wicket victory over Pakistan, with David Warner playing a pivotal role in the successful chase of 130 runs on the fourth day. This win, following triumphs in Perth and Melbourne, secured a series clean sweep for Australia against Pakistan on their home turf.

The day's play started with Mohammad Rizwan and Aamir Jamal showing resilience, pushing Pakistan past 100 runs. However, Rizwan, Pakistan's top scorer in the series with 193 runs, was caught by Warner off Nathan Lyon's bowling. Pakistan's situation deteriorated when Aamir, trying to hit big off Pat Cummins, was caught by Travis Head. Lyon wrapped up Pakistan's innings, dismissing Hasan Ali, with Pakistan all out for 115.

Australia's chase faced an early setback when Usman Khawaja was dismissed for a duck by Sajid Khan. However, Warner's aggressive batting, featuring switch-hits and reverse sweeps, led to his 37th and final Test fifty.

At lunch, Australia was comfortably positioned, needing just 39 more runs. Warner was eventually dismissed for 57 by Sajid, following a successful LBW review. Labuschagne, remaining not out on 62, hit the winning run, sealing the victory for Australia.

Aamir Jamal was named player of the match for his outstanding first innings score of 82 and a six-wicket haul. Pat Cummins, with the highest wicket tally in the series, was declared player of the series.

The post-match ceremony was marked by touching farewells for Warner, including a special gift from Pakistan captain Shan Masood – a signed Babar Azam jersey.

Brief Scores:
Australia defeated Pakistan by eight wickets.
Pakistan: 313 & 115 (Rizwan 88 & 28, Aamir Jamal 82, Hazlewood 4-16, Lyon 3-36)
Australia: 299 & 130-2 (Labuschagne 60 & 62*, Warner 57, Sajid Khan 2-49)
Match Awards: Player of the Match - Aamir Jamal (Pakistan), Player of the Series - Pat Cummins (Australia)
Highlights of day four

Babar can never score big against big teams under pressure.This guy was the luckiest Pakistani batsman to play against 3rd/4th grade players of top teams in flat wicket. I would rather trust parchi Imam to score bigger than this over-hyped softie. Its not about off-form but its bitter truth.

True in general. But in Australia it has become "losing and losing part of the game" for Pakistan.
That's right & really embarrassing and one of the reason is Pakistan has not produced proper test players after Yusuf, Younis & Misbah, also Pakistan doesn't get too many opportunities in Australia. Australia is toughest team to beat in their own conditions. In comparison England has even worst record against Australia in last 30 years even though they play 5 match test series against Australia every alternate year at home & away. England lost 8 consecutive test series against Australia from 1989 till 2003. England & Australia has played 96 test matches since 1989 and out of which England have won only 23 (mostly in Eng) & Australia defeated them 55 times. Australia defeated England by 4-0 in year 2022, 2018 & by 5-0 in 2014 & 2007.
India is the only team which got better & better against Australia over the period of time

That's right & really embarrassing and one of the reason is Pakistan has not produced proper test players after Yusuf, Younis & Misbah, also Pakistan doesn't get too many opportunities in Australia. Australia is toughest team to beat in their own conditions. In comparison England has even worst record against Australia in last 30 years even though they play 5 match test series against Australia every alternate year at home & away. England lost 8 consecutive test series against Australia from 1989 till 2003. England & Australia has played 96 test matches since 1989 and out of which England have won only 23 (mostly in Eng) & Australia defeated them 55 times. Australia defeated England by 4-0 in year 2022, 2018 & by 5-0 in 2014 & 2007.
India is the only team which got better & better against Australia over the period of time
At this point eking out a draw is a small step. They ought to break the cycle. Otherwise each time you visit you will feel a little more extra pressure. In a shorter format it is easy to catch a team on a very bad day. But in Tests even if you do a team like Australia will always come back next day.

This game is over now. Pakistan squandered the match in Melbourne and now Sydney
They can’t capitalise on the moments they got and Aus as always competitive coming back strong when pushed to become victorious.

The number of catches dropped shows them they are the minnows

Indeed beating Aus in their own backyard is not that easy as ppl think.

Especially for a team like Pak with second string bowling attack , new captain , out of form star batsman , fielding lapses which is always associated with team Pak ,

I believe Pak have done better to push this mighty Aussies back for few moments in this series testing their strength and asking to wake up to come victorious , i wud job well done to some extent.

Pakistan team simply doesn't have the skills and mental ability to win.
Drop catches, ineffective slow pacers, no quality spinners, batsmen who can't score a long innings, the list goes on. Forget about away series, winning at home is also going to get difficult.
Fielding lapses has been a concern for a while.

Abrar been injured before the first test was a big blow with no decent back up selected. Qadir and Mir where the 2 experieced spinners with faisal Akram or Suqyaan muqeem as rookie options.

We did not have our first choice attack but credit must be given to Mir hamza and find of the series Aamir Jamal for being outstanding and keeping australia to reasonable totals.

The Batting line up has been a massive let down throughout the series.

In summary the bowlers did an Excellent job and created chances but the fielding and batting left a lot to be desired.

The wait continues for Pakistan. They played well in patches. Consistency was missing.
One batsman from Pakistan should have taken up the scoring load. Either Masood or Babar. But both fell way short of expectations.
Pakistan bowling was very competitive throughout the series. Fielding let Pakistan down at crucial moments.
Fair summary.

The bowling lifted- Jamal is a good find for a 2nd or 3rd seamer in the team. Salman has a good case to be the allrounder.

The catches obviously are a main issue. Pakistan could have won at least one test. Catching is fixable with hard work.

And the batting kind of scraped by and battled and held their own. But they were one big tour/performance away from actually getting on top. Finding one more quality bat is the issue. At other times Babar and Mahsood will score runs, but they didn't quite fire on this tour. Mahsood was consistent enough but needed a daddy score to put a match away.

Back