Australia v South Africa | 1st Test - Day 3 | Perth | 19/12/08

Status
Not open for further replies.
MJ doing great, Can get the 9th, starting new over but Boucher facing him and he is not taking singles early in the over
279-9 after 88 overs
Aus 375

Last edited:
Lee replaced by Siddle. First time I will see him bowl. very exciting. only one slip by Malik. He wants to avoid 2s and boundry as Boucher will not take singles

Last edited:
Siddle gets Boucher, ct by Katich
MJ 8-61
SA 281 all out

Last edited:
12thMan said:
MJ doing great, Can get the 9th, starting new over but Boucher facing him and he is not taking singles early in the over
279-9 after 88 overs
Aus 375

Some insult there from Boucher, he shielded Ntini from Johnson but was happy to let him face Lee.

Siddle manages to score a warning for intimidatory bowling, good work lad.
And a wicket.

Lead 94 so game is not over yet. Handy partnership for the 10th wicket.

Steyn getting some swing today. There was a shout for something, delayed appeal by Steyn
Aus 6-0 after 3 overs
It was for LBW. missing by 1.58 cm. Good decision by Aleem Dar

TruSachFan said:
Wat a stupid leave by Hayden. Almost out there

That was out! Horrible decision sorry.

Not playing a shot, hits him in line with off stump. That is out - even the Channel 9 commentators all think it should have been out.

Steyn gets Hayden c&b from a ball which Hayden's bat went nowhere near.

Guess that evens up the lbw decision then. Aleem Dar is sucking today.

Was only a matter of time, Steyn was all over Hayden there.

Aus 1/30

Last edited:
Random Aussie, THANKS...I Love You too. :sohail

Last edited:
Bouncer said:
is there a free feed for AUS, SA available anywhere?

I hope u can point me in some direction, otherwise i will forced to watch India, ENg game. :D

i will delete my post as soon as someone posts so that PP doesnt get in any trouble.

Random Aussie, I tried to PM u but somehow my Messaging is not working

Edit - you can't PM here Bouncer, they don't work

Last edited:
minhasuz said:
Btw guys was Hayden out a wrong decision?

Yes straight off his pad, bat was nowhere near it.

But Hayden should have been given LBW a few overs before so no complaints from me.

Random Aussie said:
Yes straight off his pad, bat was nowhere near it.

But Hayden should have been given LBW a few overs before so no complaints from me.
Ohhh I feel sorry for Aleem Dar now :(

sopcast direct link.. sop://202.184.52.228:3912/1640 //thanks to paksound.net

excellent tussel going on.. i like the way ponting came out today... aggressive!

nam said:
sopcast direct link.. sop://202.184.52.228:3912/1640 //thanks to paksound.net

excellent tussel going on.. i like the way ponting came out today... aggressive!

Well Australia are effectively 140 for 1 ....what's not to be positive about ?

S.A can't chase anything over 350 down with cracks starting to open up on days 4 and 5.

Morne Morkel just illustrated perfectly what the problem with him is, went to pick up the ball for a run out and missed. Yells at himself.

He should be yelling at the batsman instead. Has all the tools to genuinely worry the batters but not the attitude.

Gone. Katich caught behind by Kallis.
South Africa claw back.
Aus 59/2

^^ I was livid with the decision Hayden got. That was one of the worst umpiring decisions I have ever witnessed. Pathetic.

bublubhuyan said:
^^ I was livid with the decision Hayden got. That was one of the worst umpiring decisions I have ever witnessed. Pathetic.

Which one? He got 2 - one for and one against

Random Aussie said:
Which one? He got 2 - one for and one against
Obviously the one against. Even a blind man could have done better than that umpire.

Last edited:
Congrats to MJ! Even though I hate his bowling action, I highly admire his effort and determination....it has been paying off well. And well for South Africans, it's pretty much over. Lead of 250+ and they will be back on their choking mode.

S.A can still fight for a draw. Need to dry up scoring and keep chipping away with the odd wicket.

saffer said:
...and of course...some rain wouldn't hurt.

Kallis bowling well.

Draw is still a good chance here. MJ is not likely to take 8 wickets in the second innings and the rest of the bowling didn't look very penetrative.

saffer said:
S.A can still fight for a draw. Need to dry up scoring and keep chipping away with the odd wicket.
But anything above 300 will be difficult to chase. S.A need to restrict them below 250, which seems unlikely.

bublubhuyan said:
But anything above 300 will be difficult to chase. S.A need to restrict them below 250, which seems unlikely.

A win for S.a is not likely. But a draw is still very possible.

Harris getting some turn. With his height he could be a handful here.

saffer said:
A win for S.a is not likely. But a draw is still very possible.
Yup. S.A needs to play for a draw. Nothing to worry for the Saffers since it's a 3 Test series. They still have 2 more Test matches to try and clinch the series.

Last edited:
bublubhuyan said:
Yup. S.A needs to play for a draw. Nothing to worry for the Saffers since it's a 3 Test series. They still have 2 more Test matches to try and clinch the series.

Although with australia at 167 for 2 with 2 and a half days to play there's only really 1 likely result.

opoooooh....hussey almost run out. Luck not going S.A's way right now.

saffer said:
Although with australia at 167 for 2 with 2 and a half days to play there's only really 1 likely result.
The Australian bowling attack is not what it used to be, and that's the biggest advantage for the opposition. I still believe S.A can successfully draw this match if they bat well.

The South Africans are their own enemies. This is their best chance to dominate the Aussies in years. They no longer have to worry about Warne and Mcgrath anymore. Lee is not at the same level. They may have under estimated Johnson but Siddle is not too bad either and its easy to under estimate Siddle as well.

The South Africans certainly got the bowling attack to take 20 wickets with Steyn, Morkel, Ntini, Kallis and the Aussie batting is not as strong as it used to be but if they continue to bat like crap and continue to choke in their legendary fashion then i am afraid they wont be be to successful on this Australian tour.

One of the main deciding factors between the Australians and the South Africans has been the fact that the Aussies tend to handle pressure much better than the South Africans.

saffer said:

Yep but last time Aus met South Africa in Perth looked similar and SA batted for nearly 2 days against Warne, McGrath etc to draw the game.

Timely wicket there. Harris gets ponting. Might just slow things down. Right now the name of the game for S.A is getting Australia to have to bat late into tomorrow or get bowled out.

Harris is bowling really well this game. Very underated.

South Africa back into the game.
Australia 182/3 (including the lead runs).

If South Africa can bundle up Australia for around 350, we can have another amazing chase on the last day just like India vs England :)

another one. One more and Australia might start feeling the pressure.

^^ They will already feel the pressure. It will be disaster for them to end up giving a target of anything below 300.

182 for 4 with two new bats .....with a bit of luck S.A could chase 300 here. Provided the pitch doesnt crack too much it's an outside chance for an upset.

Good fightback from the Saffies. Now they can't afford to let up; they must keep the pressure on.

As a neutral I'd love to see the Aussies bowled out for a lead of about 280-odd. That would make for a very exciting run chase.

I feel for the South Africans. They have been the second best team of this decade, but haven't had their share of luck against the Australians. Would like to see them do well in this tour, they deserve it.

SA has a semblance of chance to upset Australia. They have put themselves in a very good position. But inform Clarke is out there.

the pitch is still flat. Without much panic Australia should easily have them chasing 400+ in a day and a half. Much relies on these two you feel.

bublubhuyan said:
I feel for the South Africans. They have been the second best team of this decade, but haven't had their share of luck against the Australians. Would like to see them do well in this tour, they deserve it.

They were just bulldozed by Australia.

184/4.
Like I said, South Africa should bundle up Australia for around 320-350 soon and we can have a great chase in our hands.

bublubhuyan said:

Yeah. Whether we win or not I'd like to see our team be as competitive as their potential shows they should be. For not everything to go wrong and all the luck to run against us would be a nice change.

One good thing for S.A is that Kallis have scored some good runs in the first innings. He would be crucial if S.A have to save this Test. In terms of winning, attacking batsmen will have to play their role.

Last edited:
Random Aussie said:
Yep and the first time they get to play us without McGrath and Warne Johnson takes 8/60....

Mitch Johnson is a average bowler. Credit to him but it was a freak spell of bad luck rather than unplayable skill that happened. But no sour grapes ....Australia are still well on top and barring anything too dramatic should win this easily.

One more wicket here, and things will drastically change. It will make the Aussies consume more time to build up a good total to defend, in the process making S.A bat for lesser amount of time.

saffer said:
Mitch Johnson is a average bowler. Credit to him but it was a freak spell of bad luck rather than unplayable skill that happened. But no sour grapes ....Australia are still well on top and barring anything too dramatic should win this easily.

That is sorta what I mean, if Haddin and Lee had not stuffed up that catch off Boucher Johnson would have had the best bowling figures by an Australian in the history of our Test cricket.

Couldn't exactly expect that sort of thing to happen to you in your first innings in Australia.

Is this the first signs of a form slump from the HUSS?

Random Aussie said:
That is sorta what I mean, if Haddin and Lee had not stuffed up that catch off Boucher Johnson would have had the best bowling figures by an Australian in the history of our Test cricket.

Couldn't exactly expect that sort of thing to happen to you in your first innings in Australia.

Actually if you're a South African fan it's exactly the type of thing you DO expect to happen when you play Australia. That's 99% of the problem.

In psychology that's called a "self fulfilling prophecy".

Just throwing it out there, I still dont rate Mitch that highly. Yes he has pace and got steepling bounce, but he looked clueless in every other spell bar the one magic one yesterday.

Jamal said:
Just throwing it out there, I still dont rate Mitch that highly. Yes he has pace and got steepling bounce, but he looked clueless in every other spell bar the one magic one yesterday.

I see what you mean. Yes he doesn't possess magic deliveries. But he manages to induce false shots even off relatively harmless deliveries with persistence. As long as he can sustain this pace he will keep getting wickets one way or the other.

Man, I miss Shaun Pollock so much in this S.A side. What a player he was. Easily one of the best bowlers of his time as well as in history. I even used to emulate his bowling action during my playing days. Miss you Polly :(

Last edited:
Terrible over by steyn relieves the pressure.

Harris should try float some up. Be positive for a change.

Last edited:
Jamal said:

69 wickets in 16 Tests at 27 runs per wicket says he is pretty handy for a clueless bowler.

No fire in the S.a bowling this match. Lacking confidence or something. To other teams they have bounced and chirped the batsmen all day....I don't like this approach at all. Doesn't help there is no swing for steyn or seam for morkel and ntini of course , but come on....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back