Australia v South Africa | 2nd Test - Day 5 | MCG | 30/12/08

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oxy

Hall of Famer
Runs
Could be the most important day of cricket of 2008.

Australia on the verge of a HOME series defeat against South Africa.

Starts in 48secs time

Only rain can help the Aussies nothing else. Game over i feel.

Why the hell is Lee even bowling? He has already been ruled out for 6 weeks? Why are they risking seriously aggravating his injury? Its a game of cricket, he is not fit enough to bowl. Is winning everything over the cost of someones career? Ridiculous if you ask me.

Savak said:
Why the hell is Lee even bowling? He has already been ruled out for 6 weeks? Why are they risking seriously aggravating his injury? Its a game of cricket, he is not fit enough to bowl. Is winning everything over the cost of someones career? Ridiculous if you ask me.

Are you confusing Lee with Shane Watson?

2 No-balls by Lee. I agree with Savak, if they have already ruled him out of the Sydney game, why is he bowling? He is only doing more harm than good right now...

Oxy said:
No, Lee also has an injury in his left foot. Watson now has been ruled out for a couple of months, due to problems with his back.

according to the physio if Lee bowls or not he is out for 6 weeks. The problem they see might lead to full stress fracture if he bowls now but it is still same time off. Lee will probably bowl a spell and leave

Savak said:

Savak he has a possible stress fracture in the foot, if he breaks it it will actually heal quicker. That's why he is bowling.

Oxy said:

Brett Lee. This is unfair on him. Though he has bowled poorly, pathetically for the last 8-10 test matches. He doesnt deserve this. Let the guy rest and no need to risk further aggravating his injury.

Random Aussie said:
Savak he has a possible stress fracture in the foot, if he breaks it it will actually heal quicker. That's why he is bowling.

Are you kidding me? Who the hell wants to break another guys foot? That is inhuman, let him rest and take time out to sort his personal life out as well.

Lee is struggling out there. Just watch his delivery stride.

Not hobbling - just not bowling anywhere near 100%

His action is reminiscent of Fazl-e-Akbar

Savak said:
Are you kidding me? Who the hell wants to break another guys foot? That is inhuman, let him rest and take time out to sort his personal life out as well.

Quite common here, happens a lot with football players.

Ponting ensuring that everyone forgets his runs and goes back to flogging him by inexplicably not opening the bowling with MJ.

Forget what I said.

Brett Lee is really struggling - and hobbling.

50 up for Saffers.

Aussie bowling GARBAGE!

Too easy for SA.

I dont think Ive ever seen such poor body language from an Aus team since 1981!

Those clouds look threatning! I thought it was summer in Aus?

They should finish it in T20 fashion before rain snatches the deserved win of South Africa.

Considering the current form of Smith and current form of Australian bowling, Smith can play with one hand.

Oxy said:
Those clouds look threatning! I thought it was summer in Aus?

It is but it is Melbourne. Seasons are only a guide to the weather.

No significant rain on the way that I can see. There was a monster black cloud - which might be what you are referring to but it has passed the MCG and headed south.

12thMan said:
Did Lee get a wicket or two in an over?
No I believe he did snatch a wicket, he bowled Mckenzie. Unfortunately for Lee, it was also a no-ball delivery.

Brother Smith is 43 off 52
SA 60-0 after 15 overs - need 122 more to win

atleast take couple of wickets to make it intersting. Now only 119 runs needed

I've just robbed this off people who are e-mailing in to the Cricinfo commentary:
Adrian said:
"And what about Chris Rogers? Jaques and Rogers for the openers in the Ashes, Katich down the order. Dave Hussey in, Symonds gone, Bollinger and the Big Tassie Hilf in with Siddle and Johnson. New Aussie order is coming...."

Interesting. I would definitely think about bringing Dave Hussey back into the team, he can bowl as well.

Lee to Smith - no ball - four
Smith on 50 off 55 balls
SA 69-0 after 16.1 - need 114 more

Lodhiz said:
I've just robbed this off people who are e-mailing in to the Cricinfo commentary:

Interesting. I would definitely think about bringing Dave Hussey back into the team, he can bowl as well.

Hussey is not in the greatest of FC form this season so hard to tell.

Other thing is that Katich is the most consistent player we have (yes we are rubbish) so doubt we want to move him in the batting order.

Assuming Symonds is not fit the options could be any of:

Phillip Hughes
Andrew McDonald
Dave Hussey
Marcus North
Cam White
Pick a random player in good form.
Huge wildcard Moises Henriques.

Random Aussie said:
Assuming Symonds is not fit the options could be any of:

Phillip Hughes
Andrew McDonald
Dave Hussey
Marcus North
Cam White
Pick a random player in good form.
Huge wildcard Moises Henriques.
In this list, I'd still take Dave Hussey over everyone else. Cameron White next. All the others don't really seem like inspiring prospects, Hughes seems pretty intriguing though.

They struggled against a batsman whose previous highest score was 33. What are the odds of succeeding against most inform batsman of 2008.

Lodhiz said:
In this list, I'd still take Dave Hussey over everyone else. Cameron White next. All the others don't really seem like inspiring prospects, Hughes seems pretty intriguing though.

Hughes would be picked just for the experience of Test cricket.

Same with Henriques.

But we have lost the series so don't know what the selectors might do.

Been a while since we were in this position. 10 years or so.

Smith has scored 7 boundaries through 3rd man, it finally occurs to Ponting to put a man there. :romeo

Won't be surprised if Smith breaks Lara's record in the next match. He scores quickly anyway.

Smith is such a strong leg before candidate. These Australian bowlers are bowling like idiots. Oh you have to swing :p.

Brett Lee is bowling at around 145 kph, touching 90 mph, which is amazing considering his injury

Last edited:
I have to give it to Lee, he has been consistent this innings...

In bowling No balls!

IronMan2009 said:
Smith is such a strong leg before candidate. These Australian bowlers are bowling like idiots. Oh you have to swing :p.

What is this "swing" you speak of and how do we get some?

Smith this year

vs Australia 2 Tests 272 (so far) avge 90.66
vs BD 4 Tests 488 avge 97.60
vs Eng 4 Tests 369 avge 61.50
vs Ind 3 Tests 246 avge 49.20
vs WI 2 Tests 260 avge 86.66.

Random Aussie said:
What is this "swing" you speak of and how do we get some?
Apparently its done by either scratching the ball or by sucking boiled sweets and rubbing the saliva on it.

IronMan2009 said:
Smith this year

vs Australia 2 Tests 272 (so far) avge 90.66
vs BD 4 Tests 488 avge 97.60
vs Eng 4 Tests 369 avge 61.50
vs Ind 3 Tests 246 avge 49.20
vs WI 2 Tests 260 avge 86.66.
Bloody astounding!
Oh and whatever happened to Hoggard? He was dropped after the SL series wasn't he?

Beauty of swing bowling you don't need express pace. If you have you are doubly blessed. But it is more effective than raw pace with no swing.

McKenzie had a brain fart and actually hits a ball hard, and gets a boundary

"People have short memories don't they? Australia has been the sole dominant force in international cricket for many years. It is great to finally see some other nations like South Africa and India challenging them! However, the depth in Australian cricket is too great for this form to last very long," says Alan.

From cricinfo

Agree Australia will get their act together in their batting department pretty soon. But bowling department.. i don't think they have any depth.

IronMan2009 said:
Agree Australia will get their act together in their batting department pretty soon. But bowling department.. i don't think they have any depth.

Well we have bowlers but we don't know if any of them are international standard.

Random Aussie said:
Well we have bowlers but we don't know if any of them are international standard.
Please don't lose your ignorance now RA, you will no longer be classified as a Aussie supporter then! :p
I really hope the Aussies get their act together, I can't bear the thought of India getting the No.1 spot! :p

Lodhiz said:
Please don't lose your ignorance now RA, you will no longer be classified as a Aussie supporter then! :p
I really hope the Aussies get their act together, I can't bear the thought of India getting the No.1 spot! :p

India have to beat New Zealand first. And India have never shown any sign of being able to beat South Africa so I think you are safe.

100 up, 0/103. Ho hum down we go.

A very good decision by Dar.

Lodhiz said:
Won't happen. SA will be the no 1 team if they win this series. Australia will be no2 and India no.3. India will never challenge SA.

Random Aussie said:
India have to beat New Zealand first. And India have never shown any sign of being able to beat South Africa so I think you are safe.

100 up, 0/103. Ho hum down we go.
LOL I think it's okay to say India have already beaten India in terms of Test matches! And SA are a strong side, and with there current form there all set to be the next Australia. It's amazing how quickly they rose to power after their exile. It hasn't taken them that long, only about 10 years, probably less than that.

FCCO said:
Won't happen. SA will be the no 1 team if they win this series. Australia will be no2 and India no.3. India will never challenge SA.

Depends. If Australia loses the next test too they are in danger of sipping to 3rd place.

Aleem Dar getting back into form, 2 decisions, an lbw and a caught behind just now, both correctly given not out.

Another top decision by Dar.

He does seem to get the very tricky ones right but misses some obvious ones.

Smith 71 off 90. McKenzie 33 off 85
SA 116-0 after 28 overs - need 67 more to win

There are four South Africans with over 1,000 Test runs in 2008. Smith has the most for any batsman, with 1652.

Lodhiz said:
LOL I think it's okay to say India have already beaten India in terms of Test matches!

Did you mean New Zealand?

And no India have not won a Test in NZ since 1975.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back