India tour of Australia (2024/25)

I love Australian team and their "no excuse" attitude with few exceptions here and there. But you sound more like Pakistan fan posing as Australian fan rather than true Aussie fan who don't indulge in silly arguments
A youtuber said it best to a Brit Pakistani over a video few days ago that a goat born in a stable does not become a horse.

Exactly . I hace discussed with real australia fan on other place they are really nice and respect indian cricketers .
Brother no offence, I don't deny what you claim, But the aussie government is making sure to kick Indian workers and immigrants out lol.

Theirs a reason theirs a lack of International representative in the team compared to England.

Their not as nice as Indians think they are. Australia will 100% stab India in the back when they need to. Ofcourse ipl has mellowed The likes of pointing down and ampung other changes in recent times

Exactly . I hace discussed with real australia fan on other place they are really nice and respect indian cricketers .
Tribal instincts. My main team can't beat thes rivals. Let us root for a team that has better record against the same opposition.

The same India was pretty much mediocre when it defeated Pakistan black and blue in the final of the 1985 B&H World Championship of cricket. A Pakistani team that consisted of Imran and Miandad. And to rub salt to the wound, a mediocre cricketer like Ravi Shastri won the MOS.​
That final beating was still not as harmful as the 2017 beating by 180 runs. Sorry try again

Nobody is getting deported. All my relatives (most of them are into research) have permanent residency.
Talking about immigrants and non pr visas. Australia and Canada both limiting it, Switzerland as well but Australia defo the most.

Talking about immigrants and non pr visas. Australia and Canada both limiting it, Switzerland as well but Australia defo the most.
Australia always had strict control over immigration. Nothing new. Besides why would they go to Australia when they can go to US.

@Hitman I just checked, 1985 India was stronger, you had sunny, Kapil dev etc. Pakistan had virtually no one besides miandad and imran. All the rest are random scorecard names that no one remembers.

You're going all the way back to 1985? A time period where you likely didn't even exist to justify a 180 run butchering in a team consisting of dhawan, Rohit, kohli, Bumrah, Yuvi, Dhoni, And many others who are fresh in people's memory while Pakistan had to deal with mediocre cards like Inconsostent fakhar, Hafeez, Azhar and others in their ranks?

Get real.

Australia always had strict control over immigration. Nothing new. Besides why would they go to Australia when they can go to US.
No they didn't. USA still is far more strict. Their H1-B to EB's to PR are ridiculously insane and unfair and long and tedious alongside their family sponsorships excluding marriage sponsorship.

Compare to Australia before now, all you had to do was meet a certain point quota which wasn't hard, and work for max 1 year before getting a pr. Canada was even easier in comparison.

A win, is a win, is a win ..... much like Imran Khan won the 1992 WC purely with the help of rain.
@Hitman I just checked, 1985 India was stronger, you had sunny, Kapil dev etc. Pakistan had virtually no one besides miandad and imran. All the rest are random scorecard names that no one remembers.

You're going all the way back to 1985? A time period where you likely didn't even exist to justify a 180 run butchering in a team consisting of dhawan, Rohit, kohli, Bumrah, Yuvi, Dhoni, And many others who are fresh in people's memory while Pakistan had to deal with mediocre cards like Inconsostent fakhar, Hafeez, Azhar and others in their ranks?

Get real.
^^^

Get real.
LOL, except that Sunny is older than both Imran and Miandad. And Sunny was never a great ODI player.

LOL, except that Sunny is older than both Imran and Miandad. And Sunny was never a great ODI player.
Doesn't change the fact that the indian team is stronger.

No shame in a stronger team beating a weaker team black and blue. I don't do bhrangra is a stronger team like England smacks Zimbabwe black and blue.

Their is shame when an Indian side with all time greats loses by the biggest margin imaginable to a side that wasn't even suppose to be in CT in the first place.

Similarly it's a huge hige shame that a side that controlled every facet of the world cup, had the strongest team lost in a final in their own den in a hunilating fashion by a team that was once at the bottom of the table and judging by their performance against sa had a flat chance in hell of beating India.

Doesn't change the fact that the indian team is stronger.

No shame in a stronger team beating a weaker team black and blue. I don't do bhrangra is a stronger team like England smacks Zimbabwe black and blue.
No, it was not. Pakistan was much stronger back in the 80's, including the team they fielded for the 1985 B&H World Championship of Cricket.

No, it was not. Pakistan was much stronger back in the 80's, including the team they fielded for the 1985 B&H World Championship of Cricket.
Agree to disagree then. Not a topic I wish to engage or care about. I still find it hilarious that you're going back to 1985 though to justify an even bigger thrashing.

Pakistan of 1985 and India of 1985 were never teams that were either at bottom of the table or weren't even suppose to be in ct in the first place.

It would have made sense if India lost by giving a solid fight but instead they were one sided thrashing so much so that your own people are confidently showing your(degenerative) professionalism in ahmedabad , had prepared a long winded speech only to leave 2 hrs before the game even concluded in the final.

At the very least pakistani, English, Australian or any nation really never walks out or cries tears or throws public insults like that for simply getting an overconfidence reality check.

In 1985 pakistan after losing didn't act as if their mothers had died.

India beating pakistan black and blue and you guys gloating over such and such for their opinions or them supporting other teams is really really sad, considering people like you should be proud of your team and beating lower teams should be the norm, and nothing to gloat about

Yet you panic the moment Australia cones into a final or heck even pakistan comes into a final and start worrying to death.

Agree to disagree then. Not a topic I wish to engage or care about. I still find it hilarious that you're going back to 1985 though to justify an even bigger thrashing.

Pakistan of 1985 and India of 1985 were never teams that were either at bottom of the table or weren't even suppose to be in ct in the first place.

It would have made sense if India lost by giving a solid fight but instead they were one sided thrashing so much so that your own people are confidently showing your(degenerative) professionalism in ahmedabad , had prepared a long winded speech only to leave 2 hrs before the game even concluded in the final.

At the very least pakistani, English, Australian or any nation really never walks out or cries tears or throws public insults like that for simply getting an overconfidence reality check.

In 1985 pakistan after losing didn't act as if their mothers had died.

India beating pakistan black and blue and you guys gloating over such and such for their opinions or them supporting other teams is really really sad, considering people like you should be proud of your team and beating lower teams should be the norm, and nothing to gloat about

Yet you panic the moment Australia cones into a final or heck even pakistan comes into a final and start worrying to death.
Bro, let's cut the garbage. Trust me, I'm not speaking as an Indian poster with an inflated ego. I'm merely speaking as someone much older than you. What happened to you? You used to be such a wonderful poster who used facts and numbers along with logic to make your points. I loved you as a poster, I mean it. What made you turn into a hater? You still use facts and numbers, but lately you have turned into a complete hater. It's a loss for this whole forum because we need more posters like you once were. Posters like you enriched this forum. I have no hatred or malice against you, I'm honestly saying. I just wish you once again revert back to what you once were, a wonderful poster whom I relished.​

. I'm merely speaking as someone much older than you. What happened to you? You used to be such a wonderful poster who used facts and numbers along with logic to make your points. I loved you as a poster, I mean it. I have no hatred or malice against you, I'm honestly saying. I just wish you once again revert back to what you once were, a wonderful poster whom I relished.​
Don't know suddenly he relegated to the stage of major,technics,captains.Almost a troller with blind hatred.Sadly Mammon too.really liked his posts earlier but alas .

Bro, let's cut the garbage. Trust me, I'm not speaking as an Indian poster with an inflated ego. I'm merely speaking as someone much older than you. What happened to you? You used to be such a wonderful poster who used facts and numbers along with logic to make your points. I loved you as a poster, I mean it. What made you turn into a hater? You still use facts and numbers, but lately you have turned into a complete hater. It's a loss for this whole forum because we need more posters like you once were. Posters like you enriched this forum. I have no hatred or malice against you, I'm honestly saying. I just wish you once again revert back to what you once were, a wonderful poster whom I relished.​
2 things

A) People claiming current India > Classic Australia

B) People meat riding Sachin to a whole new level

And after I made these 2 comments, This discussion turned into trolling so I had enough.

I agree Sachin is the best in odi and top 5 in test but I don't meat ride him and I firmly believe his 2003 shot was a mistake made by him which happens to anyone as he's a human but not a God.

Similarly I firmly. Firmly enjoy classic Australia and their my favourite team while the current team is still my favourite, they are obviously a hollow shell of what they were.

And lastly when I was called a liar and a troll for an honest mistake of claiming pointing made 183 when it was 140.

As long as people acknowledge that classic Australia of 2003 crushes current India of 2024 and they don't troll me nonstop for an honest mistake that I may occasionally make, I'm willing to stop all this farce.

I don't really care about Sachin meat riding though, That's fine qith me, as a good player being meat rided is better then a crap player like Misbah being meat rided.

Anyone who thinks current India beats classic Australia in a test series has lost their marbels sorry.

Current India's batting is a total mess and classic Australia has a superior bowling attack in general even if you count current India having bumrah.

2 things

A) People claiming current India > Classic Australia
What type of garbage is that? Anyone claiming so are Grade A idiots. I've witnessed Australia throughout the 90's. The all conquering Australian team that started from the 99' WC till the end of the 07' WC, no team bar the West Indian team of the 80's come even remotely close to them. That Aussie team gulped every other team for breakfast, lunch and dinner. That Aussie team is the measuring stick by which every other team is judged.​
B) People meat riding Sachin to a whole new level

And after I made these 2 comments, This discussion turned into trolling so I had enough.

I agree Sachin is the best in odi and top 5 in test but I don't meat ride him and I firmly believe his 2003 shot was a mistake made by him which happens to anyone as he's a human but not a God.
Of course he is not a God. It's merely a title bestowed on him by his fans out of affection. Tell me, Imran Khan is affectionately called the 'Lion of Pakistan' by his fans. Is he indeed a lion roaming in the jungles of Pakistan? Brian Lara is called affectionately as the 'Prince of Trinidad' by his fans. Is he actually a Prince? Same with Sachin. He is a mere mortal who is one of the greatest batsman ever. He is no God.​

What type of garbage is that? Anyone claiming so are Grade A idiots. I've witnessed Australia throughout the 90's. The all conquering Australian team that started from the 99' WC till the end of the 07' WC, no team bar the West Indian team of the 80's come even remotely close to them. That Aussie team gulped every other team for breakfast, lunch and dinner. That Aussie team is the measuring stick by which every other team is judged.

Of course he is not a God. It's merely a title bestowed on him by his fans out of affection. Tell me, Imran Khan is affectionately called the 'Lion of Pakistan' by his fans. Is he indeed a lion roaming in the jungles of Pakistan? Brian Lara is called affectionately as the 'Prince of Trinidad' by his fans. Is he actually a Prince? Same with Sachin. He is a mere mortal who is one of the greatest batsman ever. He is no God.​
jnaveen1980 claimed I cannot categorically say current india would get thrashed by classic Australia.

I got into a long argument then others came in (not naveen himself, others) that turned the discussion into an entire troll fest and in such heat after dealing with left and right I also started making some mistakes as well on other threads such as pointing 183 rather then 140.

Then I stopped and couldn't be bothered discussing with others anymore. But it's probs getting a bit too much.

I'll stop from now on.

And lastly when I was called a liar and a troll for an honest mistake of claiming pointing made 183 when it was 140.
Bro i assume u r a student still as per our last discussion.dont let people get under ur skin and get riled up.u should have thick skin thinking its matter of perception.in professional life, there are more people waiting to crush any one.

jnaveen1980 claimed I cannot categorically say current india would get thrashed by classic Australia.

I got into a long argument then others came in (not naveen himself, others) that turned the discussion into an entire troll fest and in such heat after dealing with left and right I also started making some mistakes as well on other threads such as pointing 183 rather then 140.

Then I stopped and couldn't be bothered discussing with others anymore. But it's probs getting a bit too much.

I'll stop from now on.
That all conquering Aussie team will have it even-stevens against this Indian team in Test matches provided they play in India. That's because India will use home advantage to it's maximum. Any where else, and in any damn format, they'll beat us mercilessly. Bro, I don't know whether you witnessed that era or not, but try asking someone in person who watched that Aussie team. They were so, so, so, so ahead of every other team in history bar the West Indian team of the 80's, it's an insult to the beautiful game of cricket for any other team to be compared to them.​

That all conquering Aussie team will have it even-stevens against this Indian team in Test matches provided they play in India. That's because India will use home advantage to it's maximum. Any where else, and in any damn format, they'll beat us mercilessly. Bro, I don't know whether you witnessed that era or not, but try asking someone in person who watched that Aussie team. They were so, so, so, so ahead of every other team in history bar the West Indian team of the 80's, it's an insult to the beautiful game of cricket for any other team to be compared to them.​
Bro i assume u r a student still as per our last discussion.dont let people get under ur skin and get riled up.u should have thick skin thinking its matter of perception.in professional life, there are more people waiting to crush any one.
Oh good God, Thank finally. My only gripe is claiming current India > Classic Australia as while current india is the best team in the world, their not close to Australia of the past.

As for Sachin, I rate him no 1 in odi but don't view him as a God. He's no 1 due to longevity since he's always been top 5 in all his years and many times top 1. That's a huge huge feat considering the likes of kohli are fizzling out which Sachin was killing it at 35. As for test, top 5, not top 1. That'll never happen as long as bradman is in the records.

It's the same reason I don't rare smith > Kohli as he only was better then Kohli in 2015. All other years kohli bas been superior but even if you take peak 2015 smith, Peak 2015 smith is still inferior to peak 2016 kohli.

@Vikram1989 Half student/ Half Motion designer, but I get what you mean since I quit 2 jobs cause i hated someone.

Classic Australia could not thrash even India back then so I'm not sure why it's a given they can thrash current India especially if it happens in India.
Classic Australia thrashes current India and I won't change my mind on this sorry.

Current india is a total joke batting wise (in comparison to their past selves) and their only advantage which is bowling is nowhere close to Classic aussie bowling as Barring Bumrah, The rest of the lot are superior to india.

Their also superior fielding wise.

Classic india's batting is superior to current india's batting. Classic india has sehwag, Sachin, Dravid, Yuvi, Dhoni, Vvs laxman, Ganguly and various others that appeared in said time period in their prime

While current india is a transtioning side with kohli and rohit being shadows of their former selves. To top it off while Pant, Jaiswal, Aswin, Jadeja are good etc it's not enough batting.g firepower

Classic Australia thrashes current India and I won't change my mind on this sorry.

Current india is a total joke batting wise (in comparison to their past selves) and their only advantage which is bowling is nowhere close to Classic aussie bowling as Barring Bumrah, The rest of the lot are superior to india.

Their also superior fielding wise.

Classic india's batting is superior to current india's batting. Classic india has sehwag, Sachin, Dravid, Yuvi, Dhoni, Vvs laxman, Ganguly and various others that appeared in said time period in their prime

While current india is a transtioning side with kohli and rohit being shadows of their former selves. To top it off while Pant, Jaiswal, Aswin, Jadeja are good etc it's not enough batting.g firepower
OK but I don't think it's a given, still. India barely had a bowling attack back then and our bowling attack and batting is more than good enough in Indian conditions.

OK but I don't think it's a given, still. India barely had a bowling attack back then and our bowling attack and batting is more than good enough in Indian conditions.
You badly underestimate that bowling attack. Their not as bad as people make them out to be and aussies have dealt with similar bowlers of that caliber.

These ashwins, Jadejas, Are extremely extremely good, but barring bumrah nome of the rest of the bowlers are anything special compared to that era Australia.

Don't get me wrong their goated in this generation but when you factor in the absolute top 5 bowlers of that era they don't compare excluding bumrah.

You badly underestimate that bowling attack. Their not as bad as people make them out to be and aussies have dealt with similar bowlers of that caliber.

These ashwins, Jadejas, Are extremely extremely good, but barring bumrah nome of the rest of the bowlers are anything special compared to that era Australia.

Don't get me wrong their goated in this generation but when you factor in the absolute top 5 bowlers of that era they don't compare excluding bumrah.
They would beat us in Australia for sure. But I still don't think they can beat us in India

Well 99 to 2006 Aussies crushed south africa every time too.

In Asia I expect india to win even vs them. Anywhere else I expect losses vs 99 to 2006 Aussies.

Only tests.

In odi they will kill every team. Kings of odi.

T20 hard to judge. But mcgrath would get everyone out. Too bad he is limited to 4 overs in that format though.

I'm talking neutral venue. When I compare classic vs current, I always assume a neutral venue
What is neutral. Like in Asia? Then no

West indies pitches?
South africa
English?
Nz?

In aus, SA, nz and England I expect losses.

Asia india should win. west indies should be even given the nature of the pitch.

Why would you talk about a neutral venue when Test matches don't happen in neutral venues?
Cause the whole situation is hypothetical? It's not like we can time travel and pair these guys up? How am I suppose to account for the variable as to how both sides will deliberately curate their pitches to favour them?

Isn't it better to assume a variable where someone else will curate something else on a neutral venue?

What is neutral. Like in Asia? Then no

West indies pitches?
South africa
English?
Nz?

In aus, SA, nz and England I expect losses.

Asia india should win. west indies should be even given the nature of the pitch.
You answered your own question lol

Why would you talk about a neutral venue when Test matches don't happen in neutral venues?
Neturso venue where there will be bounce spin, seam and flatness. Yea right lmao.

Conditions play a role. Neutral for aus india would be like in west indies probably

SA is very similar to aus. Nz is mostly similar except conditions.

In England it's different ofcourse but in swing conditions aus have huge advantage.

You answered your own question lol
Its all in the balance and composition of the team.

In swing friendly conditions aus have mcgrath Gillespie.

Shami is not as effective in swing conditions. Bumrah obviously is. Shami is a seam bowler. He is more deadly on flat bouncy pitches.

Plus batting difference. Aus have much better technique and batting ability. There are like 5 great batsmen in that team of 2000 to 2005.

India only have pant jaiswal. Potentially Gill but he is 50 50.

People didn't watch the 2001 India Australia series.

India had one good spinner. That's it. There was nothing else in the bowling attack. Bhajji took 32 wickets, next best was Sachin with 3 wickets.

Shami Bumrah Ashwin Jadeja will run rings around that side in India. They won't be scoring 400-500 runs against this attack on those pitches.

Ofcourse Indian batting was superior than, but only the middle order. Sachin Dravid VVS were great players of spin. The rest contributed little.

The openers were SS Das and Ramesh. Wk were Mongia and Dighe. Ganguly flopped in that series.

The current team bats far deeper.

So this classic Australia beating the current Indian team in India isn't going to wash.

I'll stop from now on.
You siad they will thrash this India black and blue. My argument was based on Current India vs 2000 India. Ofcourse i will take current India which can win Tests not just draw tests like 2000 teams do. ideally combination of both would be good. But if i hae to pick one i would pick the current lot. We never had anyone remotely close to Pant in that era.

You siad they will thrash this India black and blue. My argument was based on Current India vs 2000 India. Ofcourse i will take current India which can win Tests not just draw tests like 2000 teams do. ideally combination of both would be good. But if i hae to pick one i would pick the current lot. We never had anyone remotely close to Pant in that era.
Regardless, Classic Australia thrash current india black and blue. I stand by it

Its all in the balance and composition of the team.

In swing friendly conditions aus have mcgrath Gillespie.

Shami is not as effective in swing conditions. Bumrah obviously is. Shami is a seam bowler. He is more deadly on flat bouncy pitches.

Plus batting difference. Aus have much better technique and batting ability. There are like 5 great batsmen in that team of 2000 to 2005.

India only have pant jaiswal. Potentially Gill but he is 50 50.
THere is no way any Australia beating this India in India. I can remember how Ponting batted like a tailender against Harbhajan. He was having his eyes wide open trying to figure out which way the ball was turning. He couldn't figure out at all.

People didn't watch the 2001 India Australia series.

India had one good spinner. That's it. There was nothing else in the bowling attack. Bhajji took 32 wickets, next best was Sachin with 3 wickets.

Shami Bumrah Ashwin Jadeja will run rings around that side in India. They won't be scoring 400-500 runs against this attack on those pitches.

Ofcourse Indian batting was superior than, but only the middle order. Sachin Dravid VVS were great players of spin. The rest contributed little.

The openers were SS Das and Ramesh. Wk were Mongia and Dighe. Ganguly flopped in that series.

The current team bats far deeper.

So this classic Australia beating the current Indian team in India isn't going to wash.
Tendulkar took out three of their batsman with his part time leg spin. One Harbhajan vs Ashwin/Jadeja/Kuldeep whole different ball game.

Tendulkar took out three of their batsman with his part time leg spin. One Harbhajan vs Ashwin/Jadeja/Kuldeep whole different ball game.

Except Hayden and Steve Waugh no one else looked remotely comfortable against spin. And Bhajji was the only quality spinner in the Indian side.

As i said, Shami Bumrah Ashwin and Jadeja will run rings around that batting line-up.

Except Hayden and Steve Waugh no one else looked remotely comfortable against spin. And Bhajji was the only quality spinner in the Indian side.

As i said, Shami Bumrah Ashwin and Jadeja will run rings around that batting line-up.
On current Indian pitches, with the aid of DRS, yeah, no doubt the ATG Australian side would crumble.

The only question is how would the current Indian batting line-up then fare against McGrath? Not Warne, not Gillespie or Kasperowicz, but just McGrath.

He'd have the top-order for lunch and with DRS, he'd be twice as lethal.

On current Indian pitches, with the aid of DRS, yeah, no doubt the ATG Australian side would crumble.

The only question is how would the current Indian batting line-up then fare against McGrath? Not Warne, not Gillespie or Kasperowicz, but just McGrath.

No one except VVS Tendulkar and Dravid scored many runs for India in that series.

The openers were hapless except in Chennai. Wk had non existent batting.

So don't think too highly of the batting line up except 3 players.

Great Aus side is likely to lose against current Indian side in Asia. Bowling of India will be superior to great Aus side in Asia. Bumrah, Ashwin and Jadeja - 3 great bowlers in Asian condition. Add other support bowlers in Asia like Shami, Yadav etc... Too strong a bowling side in Asian conditions.

Anyone thinking about McGrath and Gillespie - Nah they were good but struggled to run through sides in Asian conditions. Sounds outrageous, right? Taken together both have played 59 innings and only 2 times, just 2 times, they got 5-fers in Asia. Picking just 2 5-fers in Asia by these two pacers can't be explained by Indian batting being strong in those days.

Now if games are played in Aus, Eng, SA or NZ - Great Aus side will win comfortably because bowling now becomes deadly and batting was always good.

Great Aus side is likely to lose against current Indian side in Asia. Bowling of India will be superior to great Aus side in Asia. Bumrah, Ashwin and Jadeja - 3 great bowlers in Asian condition. Add other support bowlers in Asia like Shami, Yadav etc... Too strong a bowling side in Asian conditions.

Anyone thinking about McGrath and Gillespie - Nah they were good but struggled to run through sides in Asian conditions. Sounds outrageous, right? Taken together both have played 59 innings and only 2 times, just 2 times, they got 5-fers in Asia. Picking just 2 5-fers in Asia by these two pacers can't be explained by Indian batting being strong in those days.

Now if games are played in Aus, Eng, SA or NZ - Great Aus side will win comfortably because bowling now becomes deadly and batting was always good
Current indian side 2-3 years back because now many over the hill batsmen in their last leg with Pujara out of the team and I don't have firm opinion on newer set of batsmen. Still, enough batting firepower if games are played in Asia to do well but with decent batting of 2-3 years back and Bowling of Bumrah, Shami, Ashwin, Jadeja etc... they should win if games are played in Asia.

I can see mcgrath destroying kohli's career in aus. He would eat Gill alive with his known weakness. Pant might be the only one who can take him on cause he is a maverick

I think despite not being that great they may do fine agaisnt McGrath and Gillespie. Both pacers taken together took only 2 5-fers in Asia in their entire career. Not just in India but in Asia so it's not about India having a ATG batting unit during those days. So DRS will help them but they were not running through sides in Asia in their playing days. Indian top order is weaker for sure, but lower order is drastically stronger now. So it may be weak when comapred to ATG batting India had but enough batting to counter McGrath/Gillespie.

I suspect Warne may do better because he was thrashed bad in India but India had some of the greatest players of spin those days and current lot seems to struggle against spin.

I can see mcgrath destroying kohli's career in aus. He would eat Gill alive with his known weakness. Pant might be the only one who can take him on cause he is a maverick
In Aus or SA/Eng/NZ .. Aus will comfortably win. Batting and bowling - both will be super good.

I think despite not being that great they may do fine agaisnt McGrath and Gillespie. Both pacers taken together took only 2 5-fers in Asia in their entire career. Not just in India but in Asia so it's not about India having a ATG batting unit during those days. So DRS will help them but they were not running through sides in Asia in their playing days. Indian top order is weaker for sure, but lower order is drastically stronger now. So it may be weak when comapred to ATG batting India had but enough batting to counter McGrath/Gillespie.

I suspect Warne may do better because he was thrashed bad in India but India had some of the greatest players of spin those days and current lot seems to struggle against spin.
Comments are for Indian pitches..

Regardless, Classic Australia thrash current india black and blue. I stand by it
Okay let's look at the bowling attack against which Australia lost that series on some good pitches.
1. A young Zaheer in his first year of international cricket
2. A over the hill Venkatesh Prasad who played just a few months after that series
3. Sourav Ganguly as the third pacer in second test and took the new ball in the third
4. An over the hill Venkatapthy Raju (India where that desperate)
5. Rookie spinners like Sairaj Bahutule, Nilesh Kulkarni and Rahul Sanghvi. All of them who had no careers after that series, Showed how desperate India were to fill the void left by Anil. I feel that if Anil was bowling with Harbajan in that series, Aussies would have lost 3-0.
5. Harbajan singh, who might have taken 32 wickets but was making a come back after 2-3 years.
6. Srinath and Agarkar played 1 Test which India lost.

Now compare that with the current Indian bowling attack and please tell me how even that side can beat this Indian side black and blue in India. I agree in Australia they might as they had a brilliant batting line up and with McGrath and Gillespie. Warne was never a threat to India as his record proves. In India though despite the threat McGrath can bring, the Indian bowling will not allow the Aussies to score runs as well.

As great McGrath was he did not destroy anyone's career during his peak. Virat had a horror series against England in 2018 but he still has a good career. People can struggle against a certain bowlers but good players will still find a way to score runs. I am not sure about Gill but Virat I feel would have still scored runs in Australia even with McGrath. He isn't troubled by Aussie pitches.

As great McGrath was he did not destroy anyone's career during his peak. Virat had a horror series against England in 2018 but he still has a good career. People can struggle against a certain bowlers but good players will still find a way to score runs. I am not sure about Gill but Virat I feel would have still scored runs in Australia even with McGrath. He isn't troubled by Aussie pitches.
+1

To add context: Kohli has faced Cummins in Aus and still scored runs.

Cummins in Aus: Avg 19, SR 44 8 5-fers [ 33 tests ]

McGrath in Aus : Avg 22, SR 54 11 5-fers [ 66 tests ]

+1

cummins has his number
he has struggled vs hazlewood too iirc. post 2017

+1

But kohli always struggles against 4th/5th wicket line. McGrath is known for that.Even Gillespie too known for his line and length.Brett Lee is different altogether

cummins has his number
he has struggled vs hazlewood too iirc. post 2017
Not that much because he averages 40 plus in Aus when Cummins played with 1 ton and 2 fifties.
When Hazlewood or Cummins played then he average is 50 plus with 3 tons.
Cummins, Hazlewood or Johnson played, he has 5 tons with average of 60 plus. Johnson was in hot form and got taken to cleanners.

I think, Kohli would have been more than fine in Aus even in McGrath era because he likes bounce. Very few batsmen have have so many tons and during this time Cummins, Hazlewood and JOhnson did have a very good record at home. I only pointed out Cummins because he is most similar to McGrath but over all Aus had a very good pacers even after McGrath .

But kohli always struggles against 4th/5th wicket line. McGrath is known for that.Even Gillespie too known for his line and length.Brett Lee is different altogether
Cummins and Hazlewood also keep it very tight with 4th/5th stump line, specially in Aus. Yes, McGrath was known for that, but but other pacers have done very well by keeping it tigh in Aus as well. Not saying that McGrath was not a better bowler, but based on Kohli record in Aus/bouncy pitches, I don't think he would have struggled too much in Aus in any era. His weakness was exploited more in Eng due to swing and even that was countered by Kohli eventually. Kohli liking bounce also shows up in his performacne in SA even when Steyn was playing.

Not saying that McGrath was not a better bowler, but based on Kohli record in Aus/bouncy pitches, I don't think he would have struggled too much in Aus in any era.
Cummins and Hazlewood are occasional drifters releasing pressure.McGrath will have decent chance against kohli even when kohli is on 60 or 70 as he persist with same line metronmically.Kohli will not struggle as you said but to get 100s or daddy hundred scores will be more difficult .Kohli got out In the same fashion even in Chennai in last match where it was not much seam as compared to eng.That guy is worried about line than speed,bounce as u said

Cummins and Hazlewood are occasional drifters releasing pressure.McGrath will have decent chance against kohli even when kohli is on 60 or 70 as he persist with same line metronmically.Kohli will not struggle as you said but to get 100s or daddy hundred scores will be more difficult .Kohli got out In the same fashion even in Chennai in last match where it was not much seam as compared to eng.That guy is worried about line than speed,bounce as u said
Off course Mcgrath will have a decent chance against anyone. He was great bowler. I was only presenting the flip side of Kohli liking bouncy pitches and doing well in Aus despite Aus having great pacers, specially for home conditions.

Man! This thread is ruined beyond repair by totally hypothetical and non sensical discussions across eras that literally have absolutely nothing to do with the upcoming BGT. Grow up for your own sakes!

Australia's real achievement over the last 10 years has been successfully keeping their big 3 on the park for most of home and tough away series. Because if you pay attention, their next in line - boland etc has been solid but far from being a consistent threat like the big 3. The last time they had a bowler of the same calibre was Ryan Harris.

The availability of big 3 has made sure AUS can afford bouncy, pacy but flat pitches at home. So the visiting teams still struggle to cope but their own often underwhelming batters can thrive. How long this strategy can hold remains to be seen but it's worked perfectly.

Get real.
India was in the pits. they lost the series, at home, to england, two weeks before the tournament.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can we talk about the upcoming INDIA vs AUSTRALIA series?

The whole thread has been derailed with irrelevant posts talking about history. Please talk about the series or leave the thread for others to post in.

T
Can we talk about the upcoming INDIA vs AUSTRALIA series?

The whole thread has been derailed with irrelevant posts talking about history. Please talk about the series or leave the thread for others to post in.
This is the second greatest Australia side of all time after 99- 2006 Aussies.

2018 to 2025 Aussies is their second greatest ever team

Going against a slightly inferior version of peak kohli's indian side that is going through transition phase. Batting is at its weakest right now. As we have to carry passengers due to their big names.

Expecting a loss. 2 - 1 Aussies but if india pick on merit they can win.

You can brag all you want. India has given it right back to them. BGT has been in the hands of India 4 series in a row. Lyon sounds more desperate than you in reclaiming it. By the way Australia is yet to win in India in a Test series since 2004. That is 20 years.
Australia has won only once in India since 1969.

India have won twice in Australia in last 54 years.

T

This is the second greatest Australia side of all time after 99- 2006 Aussies.

2018 to 2025 Aussies is their second greatest ever team

Going against a slightly inferior version of peak kohli's indian side that is going through transition phase. Batting is at its weakest right now. As we have to carry passengers due to their big names.

Expecting a loss. 2 - 1 Aussies but if india pick on merit they can win.

It all depends who does the Pujara role. Tiring out Cummins, Hazelwood & Starc is the key.
Most of our top 6 are stroke makers, i think Gill & Kohli will be doing that job & other batsman will play around them.

I think it will be a 2-2 draw with Australia winning at Perth & Adelaide, India to win at Melbourne & Sydney/Brisbane.

I think India comfortably has the wood on Australia in the past few years. For a long time, it used to be India dominating in India and Australia dominating in Australia. But the equation has completely changed in recent years. India won in Australia twice, which is not something any other team has managed to do.

The best Australia have done in India in recent years is the 2017 series where they had a chance to win. But even there they were outplayed by India after the first test. And more often than not, the look out of their depth in turning conditions. That includes Sri Lanka, Bangladesh and UAE.

WTC final aside India has simply been a better test side than Australia in the last few years.

Australia have a lot to prove in this series. Especially after losing the last two series to India at home and losing a test match to the West Indies.

It all depends who does the Pujara role. Tiring out Cummins, Hazelwood & Starc is the key.
Most of our top 6 are stroke makers, i think Gill & Kohli will be doing that job & other batsman will play around them.

I think it will be a 2-2 draw with Australia winning at Perth & Adelaide, India to win at Melbourne & Sydney/Brisbane.
Just butcher green and Lyon and make their quicks tired. Force them to over bowl. And smash starc too. Easy pickings. But Cummins and hazelwood are dangerous.

Australia has had a mental block vs India, but after the November 19 humbling, you’d imagine that the mental block is over.

Australia should take care of India this time. It won’t effect India much though, because they can always claim that they have won back to back series in Australia which Australia would probably never replicate in India, but it would be important for Australian cricket to get this of their back.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back