Australia v South Africa | 5th ODI | Perth | 30/1/09

Status
Not open for further replies.

Random Aussie

Senior Test Player
Runs
Match starts in about half an hour. The winner of this match will be number 1 in the ODI rankings.

Australia have brought back Bracken and Clarke from injury and dropped Tait and Cameron White.

South Africa have rested Ntini and Steyn, Tsotsobe and Parnell the replacements.

Australia should be too strong with South Africa's frontline quicks (who are the highest quality opening pair in world cricket these days) resting but the Aussie team keep finding ways to lose matches these days.

RA I have a random question can you please tell me when is Australia tour of SA (I am being lazy to check it up loll).

Kallis also sitting out to make way for Van Jaarsveld. On paper Aus looks too strong, but such has been their summer that I wouldn’t count out another loss.

minhasuz said:
RA I have a random question can you please tell me when is Australia tour of SA (I am being lazy to check it up loll).

Tests are in March, ODI's in April, then ODI's v Pak late April/early May.

Then T20 WC, then Ashes. Then Pak tour of Australia. Then WI tour of Australia. Then tour of NZ.

Then Test tour of Pakistan allegedly.

Busy times.

minhasuz said:
Next month I beleive. Pretty much straight after the NZ 5 match ODI series.

genghis81 said:
Kallis also sitting out to make way for Van Jaarsveld. On paper Aus looks too strong, but such has been their summer that I wouldn’t count out another loss.

Lol that is a slight drop in quality

Random Aussie said:
Tests are in March, ODI's in April, then ODI's v Pak late April/early May.

Then T20 WC, then Ashes. Then Pak tour of Australia. Then WI tour of Australia. Then tour of NZ.

Then Test tour of Pakistan allegedly.

Busy times.
Thanks Bro :p

SA off to a good start (although a bit of a loose shot from Gibbs), 0/11 after 1.1 overs

White drops Gibbs, proving he does not even have to be in the team to stuff things up

Would like to know why we have a sub fielder on in the fifth over though.

Random Aussie said:
White drops Gibbs, proving he does not even have to be in the team to stuff things up
This wicket would cost Australia

minhasuz said:
This wicket would cost Australia

Gibbs helpfully lobbed another catch to Hopes. 5 innings, 5 stupid dismissals from Herschelle.

1/28 after 5.3 overs

S.A playing without so much experience here. Especially in he bowlig. Oh well , at least it's fun to feel like the underdogs again.

Boucher , smith , steyn , ntini and kallis not playing. S.A B team on show.

saffer said:
S.A playing without so much experience here. Especially in he bowlig. Oh well , at least it's fun to feel like the underdogs again.

We have been slightly inexperienced in the bowling this summer. Just slightly.

Fix your keyboard by the way Saffer. And congrats to you and your team on a very successful tour. See you in SA where we shall down your ship.

Yeah. As I said , this lap top keyboard drives me mad. But it's looking to be a great series in S.A. I expect low scores on S.A pitches

saffer said:
Yeah. As I said , this lap top keyboard drives me mad. But it's looking to be a great series in S.A. I expect low scores on S.A pitches

SA pitches are 3 times more bouncier than what they are putting out in OZ currently me feels...

Romali_rotti said:
SA pitches are 3 times more bouncier than what they are putting out in OZ currently me feels...

Bouncier...much more seam too. Normally there's huge swing on offer...but it'll be late summer and tat might affect that.

Romali_rotti said:

Our pitches are very disappointing these days TBH

Saffer, random question: a recent clip I saw here made me curious about Nantie Hayward. What happened to him? In the clip I saw - he was lightning.

Did Ponting take courses from Malik's school of captaincy? Offering easy singles . SA cruising without taking any risk

LightSpeedGT said:
Saffer, random question: a recent clip I saw here made me curious about Nantie Hayward. What happened to him? In the clip I saw - he was lightning.

He never lost his pace , had a few good domestic seasons but never did anything good enough to get himself back in contention. There was always a feeling about hayward that he lacked that"fight" that South African fans love. He was fierce though and he really aimed 3 out of 6 at the bastman head rather than the stumps.

There were stages of wayward hayward he was easily mid 150's. There was a time when there was a little world contest between him , lee and shaob to clock 160. Shoaib (steriod assisted no doubt) of cours eventualy won tha little battle.

Last edited:
the_best said:
Did Ponting take courses from Malik's school of captaincy? Offering easy singles . SA cruising without taking any risk
Ponting = Malik. I thought everyone knew that?

Saffer, can't believe someone like that didn't make it big. BTW steroids don't assist in pace plus players are tested before major ICC tournaments.

Last edited:
De Villiers goes. S.A need to start uping the scoring. Maybe 250 won't be enough with the lack of experience in the bowling.

LightSpeedGT said:
Ponting = Malik. I thought everyone knew that?

Saffer, can't believe someone like that didn't make it big. BTW steroids don't assist in pace plus players are tested before major ICC tournaments.

Yeah , waste of talent. Nobody likes gingers anyway.

:p

Its been a totally bizzare and spirit less performance. What have they fallen too in the last 2 years? From being the top team in the world literally demolishing other teams around the world to being reduced to a normal team having to scrounge for victory to a team having to accept their fallen standards.

If they are ever going to improve then the Australian bowlers have a lot of improving too do. They have to learn the art of picking wickets. Its funny how the tide has turned as far as Australia and South Africa is concerned.

And the century curse hits again this series ... Amla out for 97.

Alma out for 97....looks livid. But will be hard to drop him from the one day squad now , so he'll be pretty happy with it.

Now can S.A use the powerplay...., Dumminy ,morkel and v jaarsveld can do plenty of damage if they get it right.

Savak said:
Its been a totally bizzare and spirit less performance. What have they fallen too in the last 2 years? From being the top team in the world literally demolishing other teams around the world to being reduced to a normal team having to scrounge for victory to a team having to accept their fallen standards.

If they are ever going to improve then the Australian bowlers have a lot of improving too do. They have to learn the art of picking wickets. Its funny how the tide has turned as far as Australia and South Africa is concerned.

It seems to be a bit of a misconception that in the past the Aussie bowlers just rolled into the team ready made and started demolishing teams.

Warne, McGrath, Gillespie all did little in their first year or so of international cricket. We now are playing young bowlers and getting games into them with the hope of building again.

The risk is that the Australian selectors (who are not universally admired these days) may have picked the wrong bowlers. But I don't think they have - they were right with MJ and they were right with Siddle and I think they are right with Hilfenhaus.

But they all need time.

MJ bowls Morkel and gives him some lip as well! Good stuff MJ, more of that please.

Duminy then proceeds to smash MJ all over the WACA, 20 runs from the over.

5/241 after 45 overs.

Finally at the end of the summer they collar Bracken and give him a beating.

6/271 after 48 overs. Number 1 ranking going going.....

When I first watched Dumini in Dec 2007 w/o reading any thing about him ahead, I knew it he was a quality ... Proving me right. Top player and very cool ...

288 on the board. Can the S.A development attack keep them under that ?

(parnell for example is on tour for experience and would never have really played unless a dead rubber or 20/20 which is the same thing).

Very good total by S.A - I cant see Australia getting this.

Good to see Amla doing well and also duminy continues his good form.

Amjid Javed said:
Very good total by S.A - I cant see Australia getting this.

Good to see Amla doing well and also duminy continues his good form.

Can't see us getting it either, despite the best efforts of Ian Healy to hype it up.

Aussie 10 -1 .

Is it fair to say that not only ave Australia lost their mental dominance over South Africa , but are in fact at the moment are in fact mentally totally being dominated by the saffers ?

Safer opening bowling getting good pace and bounce.

Last edited:
Lopsy has his 1st wicket in odi's!!!! Yeehah!!!!!

saffer said:
Aussie 5 -1 .

Is it fair to say that not only ave Australia lost their mental dominance over South Africa , but are in fact at the moment are in fact mentally totally being dominated by the saffers ?

No question about it. The tide has changed. The only reason the Aussies had an edge over SA was Warne, Mcgrath, Gilchrist, Gillespie and Co. Without them there is nothing left.

The South Africans can only enjoy it from here and take as much revenge as possible for the past.

Bublu Bhuyan said:
Let's see what Warner does today. He have enjoyed a lot of hype till date.

Far more hype that he's worth in my opinion. Don't call us Dave, we'll call you.

saffer said:
Far more hype that he's worth in my opinion. Don't call us Dave, we'll call you.
Funny what T20 manages to do. One good innings and he is the next superstar. And then there is Yuvraj Singh who is a dynamite in T20 cricket, but is yet to establish himself in the Test team even after playing for more than 8 years.

It's alright for the Saffers to have their newbie bowler bowling to Marsh and Warner but if Ponting stays in he will murder Tsotsobe.

Looks a good prospect Tsotsobe, nice action.

saffer said:

To be fair to Warner, the hype is not his fault.

He is opening because Hayden retired and Watson is injured, Warner averages 50 in ODD so is worth a go for the time being. If it works out great.
Don't think it will although you do need to remember that every other team he plays will have worse opening bowlers than South Africa.

An Aussie batsmen will need to get a ton here something thats not happened all series!

35-2

Ponting is OUT

New boy gets his 2nd - but he's expensive!

TsoTsoBe gets Ponting from a top edge.

Number 1 ranking going, going, almost gone............

Lopsy!!!! You biscuit!!!!!!! Punter out of here!!!!!!

Random Aussie said:
To be fair to Warner, the hype is not his fault.

He is opening because Hayden retired and Watson is injured, Warner averages 50 in ODD so is worth a go for the time being. If it works out great.
Don't think it will although you do need to remember that every other team he plays will have worse opening bowlers than South Africa.

not his fault at all...but the comms. and media have been moe that a little insane with the hyper.

ponting gone...I'm taking bets...fifer for tsotsobe. Put your money where your mouths are !

Australia are our bunnies...truly.

Oxy said:
35-2

Ponting is OUT

New boy gets his 2nd - but he's expensive!

His a strike bowler!!! Runs means nought!!! Wickets is what he is there to take!!!!

saffer said:
not his fault at all...but the comms. and media have been moe that a little insane with the hyper.

ponting gone...I'm taking bets...fifer for tsotsobe. Put your money where your mouths are !

Australia are our bunnies...truly.

Yep. We aint had much to cheer about this summer but they have been going overboard about someone who is not even first class cricketer yet.

another gone....yaaaaaaawwwwwwn.

I'm not being sarcastic, I just really don't think it's a big deal to beat this aussie team. Very, very mediocre.

Random Aussie said:
Ah Michael Clarke in, Anwar's 194* in danger.
Should we jinx him then ? :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back