Australia vs Pakistan | 3rd test | Hobart | 2nd day - 15th Jan 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
Butt really needs to learn how to take a start for runs, in the first runout, he had his gloves in his hand drying them and not taking any start. In the second time, he didn't even start for the run and was sitting behind the bowler.

oh for goodness sake, another one!

Two of our best batsmen run out.
Butt is going to be hated now even if he does go on and post 100.

OZGOD said:
lol Salman Butt involved in another runout this time of Umar Akmal. He's going to get an earful from MoYo

That's the very least he deserves. Hope he gets a chapal upside the head.

I hate this divide Karachi vs punjab, but unfortunately it exists,
as far as batting of khuram Manzooor, faisal iqbal, are concerned these players are brought up on dead tracks of Karachi where people like Khuram score stacks of runs but when they play on bouncy tracks with little bit of movement they obviously struggle,
Khuram,s technique is poor to say the least.

chaand, malku, milkman with a smashing cover drive :D

no more run outs for today :( time to switch over and watch england get smashed around now :)))

For those who are worried about Butt's running, 'fikar' not, I suspect he will be running very hard the second he steps into the dressing room.

lol @ Aussie commentators, they are rubbing it in by talking up Malik and how amazing he is when he gets going :) I guess they don't remember that only happens for Chaand once in a blue moon, no pun intended.

Malik and Khurrum need to join the same club and stay as far away as possible from the team.

Last edited:
tauseefm said:
Salman Butt for Captain, anyone?
I'm in.

He shall have the highest score of 65, striking down any player with his runout wrath in this innings

I think Mohammed Yousuf and Umer Akmal will not have put their bats down. Salman Butt will get a beating one suspects! :))

looks like our test all-rounder problems are solved...

Butt 34* & two wickets! :yk

horrendous decision by Yousuf to send Khurram Manzoor at no. 3. he should've gone in there himself.

Cryin Out Loud said:
For those who are worried about Butt's running, 'fikar' not, I suspect he will be running very hard the second he steps into the dressing room.

:)) If I were Salman, I would go to the Australian dressing room tonight. Probably get treated like royalty there!

Usman said:
:)) If I were Salman, I would go to the Australian dressing room tonight. Probably get treated like royalty there!
the way Kamran is being treated:) like great lad, and now Haddan helping him with keeping. hahahaha

d0gers said:
horrendous decision by Yousuf to send Khurram Manzoor at no. 3. he should've gone in there himself.

Don't know why they kept Manzoor and sent Fawad Alam home. Manzoor doesn't look like a Test batsman to me.

OZGOD said:
Don't know why they kept Manzoor and sent Fawad Alam home. Manzoor doesn't look like a Test batsman to me.
have absolutely no idea. one look at Manzoor in Dunedin and you could tell he doesn't have what it takes for this level.

but then you also have to feel a bit sorry for him. you tell him this is your chance but then send him in as a sacrificial lamb, in a position he's probably never played before.

i think on principle your best batsman needs to go in at number 3. for some reason our guys just shy away.

Been out of touch for a few hours, so both Moyo and Umar managed to get run out

Ah Pakistan, Pakistan. Drop catches and run out your best players. Chaos as usual.

On a side note (despite apparently running out your 2 best batsmen) I think your openers have been pretty decent, both here and in NZ. Should give them the 6 Tests in England together (with reserve opener).

However what will happen is some bloke will hit some runs in an ODI, get thrown into the team and break up what is a promising opening partnership - admittedly Pakistan opening standards are not that high but still.....

d0gers said:
have absolutely no idea. one look at Manzoor in Dunedin and you could tell he doesn't have what it takes for this level.
Well if he had been discarded then the same 'fans' would be shouting of Punjab bias and other nonsense - that this 'very deserving' player from Karachi was not given a chance!
d0gers said:
but then you also have to feel a bit sorry for him. you tell him this is your chance but then send him in as a sacrificial lamb, in a position he's probably never played before.
Eh? He's an opener, or at least, he pretends he is one. Its easier and simpler for him to bat at #3 than open! Anyone with any common sense can tell you that - he was playing in the position that was available given that it would have been stupid to sack one of the openers. The shot he got out to was one which no opener, even at school level, would play when at 0! Maybe try that after you've crossed 100... but for an opener to try that when he's just in? Madness.
d0gers said:
i think on principle your best batsman needs to go in at number 3. for some reason our guys just shy away.
A complete fallacy. Historically, and logically, that's not the case. SRT, Steve Waugh, Allan Border, Viv Richards, Javed Miandad, Gavaskar, Gooch, etc etc - tonnes of "best batsman in the side" who didn't primarily bat at #3.

Random Aussie said:
On a side note (despite apparently running out your 2 best batsmen) I think your openers have been pretty decent, both here and in NZ. Should give them the 6 Tests in England together (with reserve opener).

However what will happen is some bloke will hit some runs in an ODI, get thrown into the team and break up what is a promising opening partnership - admittedly Pakistan opening standards are not that high but still.....
Well said mate. That's what some of us have been arguing here for a while - Butt and Farhat have now done better than any other Pakistani opening player Down Under, by a considerable margin! And in fact, are better than most AWAY opening pairs batting in Aus & NZL through history, from all other nations.

I don't know how he does it, since he's not very good at all, but Imran Farhat gives us starts! He and Butt have a good thing going here and should be left untouched in the Test format. And Butt needs to be kicked out of the ODI and T20 teams - he needs to focus on Tests and work on the basics in the spare time he will get... like running and fitness and backing up!

Game should be over tomorrow if Australia force follow on.

Inns defeat and 3-0 Aussies it should be.

ShehryarK said:
Well if he had been discarded then the same 'fans' would be shouting of Punjab bias and other nonsense - that this 'very deserving' player from Karachi was not given a chance! Eh? He's an opener, or at least, he pretends he is one. Its easier and simpler for him to bat at #3 than open! Anyone with any common sense can tell you that - he was playing in the position that was available given that it would have been stupid to sack one of the openers. The shot he got out to was one which no opener, even at school level, would play when at 0! Maybe try that after you've crossed 100... but for an opener to try that when he's just in? Madness. A complete fallacy. Historically, and logically, that's not the case. SRT, Steve Waugh, Allan Border, Viv Richards, Javed Miandad, Gavaskar, Gooch, etc etc - tonnes of "best batsman in the side" who didn't primarily bat at #3.
those are strong words. Ponting, Lara, Dravid, Sangakkara, are all arguably the best batsmen in their lineup (yes I'm rating Dravid higher than Tendy) and have all played their best cricket at 1 drop. and for all the others you've named, except for Miandad it helps that they batted in a team with a settled number 3. we don't have that luxury. in a team that only has 2 recognized top order batsmen, one of them has to come in at 1 down and I think it needs to be Yousuf.

Amjid Javed said:

Such a sad end and sad result for such a promising start

Amjid Javed said:

Yep. Never going to beat us if you don't catch the ball, you guys have just given us the series on a platter with that.

The batting, the captaincy all of that would not matter if the chances given by our top order were taken.

ShehryarK said:
Well said mate. That's what some of us have been arguing here for a while - Butt and Farhat have now done better than any other Pakistani opening player Down Under, by a considerable margin! And in fact, are better than most AWAY opening pairs batting in Aus & NZL through history, from all other nations.

I don't know how he does it, since he's not very good at all, but Imran Farhat gives us starts! He and Butt have a good thing going here and should be left untouched in the Test format. And Butt needs to be kicked out of the ODI and T20 teams - he needs to focus on Tests and work on the basics in the spare time he will get... like running and fitness and backing up!

Yes, they've done ok. It's when they get to scores of 30-40 that they start to struggle. Funny as they've seen off the new ball by then. It's really more of a concentration thing I think. Fear of losing their wicket and getting dropped!

Goodness me they've flopped it again.

Glad I went to sleep and didn't watch them play.

Pressure pressure and they crap their pants.

d0gers said:

hardly a sacrificial lamb - the guy is an opener

OZGOD said:
Yes, they've done ok. It's when they get to scores of 30-40 that they start to struggle. Funny as they've seen off the new ball by then. It's really more of a concentration thing I think. Fear of losing their wicket and getting dropped!
its called an average for a reason :butt

kashif77 said:
He'll be out soon .. I guarantee you.

He always does this .. runs someone out .. loses concentration and then gets out himself.

Well he didn't...but he ran someone else out!

d0gers said:
Ponting, Lara, Dravid, Sangakkara, are all arguably the best batsmen in their lineup (yes I'm rating Dravid higher than Tendy) and have all played their best cricket at 1 drop. and for all the others you've named, except for Miandad it helps that they batted in a team with a settled number 3. we don't have that luxury. in a team that only has 2 recognized top order batsmen, one of them has to come in at 1 down and I think it needs to be Yousuf.
Fair enough - I don't disagree that many great bats have played at 3. :) I was just pointing out that many other great bats have also been openers or played at 4 or even lower (Waugh and Border). Hence, its whatever works best for the players and the team - depends on each individual circumstance. There isn't a 'principle' or a 'rule' here or a 'one size fits all' solution, that was my only point :)

Just as a minor aside, its debatable whether Dravid and Sanga were the best bats in their team. The answer is probably subjective - some might prefer SRT and Mahela, others, not. In the cases of Ponting, Lara, Miandad, Inzi, Gavaskar, Gooch, Viv, however - no debate :)

our whole problem is selection and mental discipline..I think the two eyars from 2007-2008/09 have really done major damage to our test cricket...they just havent played enough and havent developed a decent combination where it matters!

there are a whole load of players who never deserved to where the shirt who now have played a load of matches and are still rubbish!! ive been saying all along, bring in some youngsters who seem to have better technique than these seniros and give them a go..Umar akmal hadnt played hardly any domestic cricket and he has done well..we should do teh same for some other positions!!

Also the fielding!! ***!! we need a coach now!! or we will lose for ever!!

Oh well lets just hope we dont get thrashed 5-0 in ODIs.

I am glade that Pakistan is losing this test match and hopefully will lose it. Simply because if we win nothing or not much was going to change and everyone knows we need some major changes. If we lose it will put extra pressure to already exsisting pressure to make those needed changes.

Was not too bothered about the result anymore stayed up all night was looking forward to watching yousaf and umar bat..... thank you butt :pissed:

Left to watch Malik pick up cheap runs tomorrow and the lazy **** at the other end :(

d0gers said:
those are strong words. Ponting, Lara, Dravid, Sangakkara, are all arguably the best batsmen in their lineup (yes I'm rating Dravid higher than Tendy) and have all played their best cricket at 1 drop. and for all the others you've named, except for Miandad it helps that they batted in a team with a settled number 3. we don't have that luxury. in a team that only has 2 recognized top order batsmen, one of them has to come in at 1 down and I think it needs to be Yousuf.

The ends the credibility of the post

Congragulations Pakistan

consistently brilliant performance this time in batting as always. i wake up to check the score after we are 94 for 4... never fail to amaze me.

ShehryarK said:
Fair enough - I don't disagree that many great bats have played at 3. :) I was just pointing out that many other great bats have also been openers or played at 4 or even lower (Waugh and Border). Hence, its whatever works best for the players and the team - depends on each individual circumstance. There isn't a 'principle' or a 'rule' here or a 'one size fits all' solution, that was my only point :)
yeah I agree with all that. I'll retract my earlier statement, as I did make it sound like a hard and fast rule. it's just something I feel needs to happen with our team. if we ever get Younus Khan back in the Test lineup I'm sure he'll go back there but until then Yousuf needs to step up. he did it in New Zealand in one innings and played pretty well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back