Bangladesh tour of India (2024)

FearlessRoar

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
India’s squad for the 1st Test of the IDFC FIRST Bank Test series against Bangladesh announced

The Men's Selection Committee has picked India's 16-member squad for the first Test of the IDFC FIRST Bank Test series against Bangladesh. The Test series will mark the commencement of India’s international home season for 2024-25. India will also play three T20Is against Bangladesh, and the team for the same will be selected later.

India’s squad for the 1st Test of the Bangladesh Test series: Rohit Sharma (C), Yashasvi Jaiswal, Shubman Gill, Virat Kohli, KL Rahul, Sarfaraz Khan, Rishabh Pant (WK), Dhruv Jurel (WK), R Ashwin, R Jadeja, Axar Patel, Kuldeep Yadav, Mohd. Siraj, Akash Deep, Jasprit Bumrah, Yash Dayal.

Test series fixtures:

k9biUBq.png

T20I series fixtures:

ZW8pifB.png

India’s strongest playing XI for the 1st Test against Bangladesh should be: '

Rohit Sharma (C), Yashasvi Jaiswal, Shubman Gill, Virat Kohli, KL Rahul, Rishabh Pant (WK), Ravindra Jadeja, Ravichandran Ashwin, Axar Patel, Jasprit Bumrah, Mohammed Siraj.

Rohit Sharma (C), Yashasvi Jaiswal, Shubman Gill, Virat Kohli, KL Rahul, Rishabh Pant (WK), Ravindra Jadeja, Ravichandran Ashwin, Axar Patel, Jasprit Bumrah, Mohammed Siraj.
Kuldeep is must , need to drop Axar or KL

India’s squad for the 1st Test of the IDFC FIRST Bank Test series against Bangladesh announced

The Men's Selection Committee has picked India's 16-member squad for the first Test of the IDFC FIRST Bank Test series against Bangladesh. The Test series will mark the commencement of India’s international home season for 2024-25. India will also play three T20Is against Bangladesh, and the team for the same will be selected later.

India’s squad for the 1st Test of the Bangladesh Test series: Rohit Sharma (C), Yashasvi Jaiswal, Shubman Gill, Virat Kohli, KL Rahul, Sarfaraz Khan, Rishabh Pant (WK), Dhruv Jurel (WK), R Ashwin, R Jadeja, Axar Patel, Kuldeep Yadav, Mohd. Siraj, Akash Deep, Jasprit Bumrah, Yash Dayal.

Test series fixtures:

k9biUBq.png

T20I series fixtures:

ZW8pifB.png
Four pacers - Jasprit Bumrah, Mohammed Siraj, Akash Deep, Yash Dayal

Four spinners - R Ashwin, Ravindra Jadeja, Kuldeep Yadav, Axar Patel

What do you think will be India's bowling combination for the first Test against Bangladesh?

India's strength at home has always been spin bowling and batting by spin bowlers (Ashwin, Jadeja, Axar)

Four pacers - Jasprit Bumrah, Mohammed Siraj, Akash Deep, Yash Dayal

Four spinners - R Ashwin, Ravindra Jadeja, Kuldeep Yadav, Axar Patel

What do you think will be India's bowling combination for the first Test against Bangladesh?
Two Pacer + three spinners for every apposition. Big Plus is all three spinners are more than handy with the bat ( Jadeja, Axar and Ashwin or even kuldeep)

Hope they play Sarfaraz ahead of Rahul but somehow I doubt that will happen.
Jaiswal, Rohit, Gill, Kohli, KL, Pant, Jadeja, Ashwin, Kuldeep, Bumrah, Siraj is I think what they'll go with.

Disappointed not to see Harshit Rana in the squad. Looks like the selectors gave way too much weightage to the Duleep Trophy performances and picked Yash Dayal ahead of him.

Bumrah will most likely play one Test and make way for Akash in Kanpur unless Bangladesh somehow wins in Chennai.

Disappointed not to see Harshit Rana in the squad. Looks like the selectors gave way too much weightage to the Duleep Trophy performances and picked Yash Dayal ahead of him.

I think selectors are obsessed about a left arm pacer.They tried arshdeep and now going after yash.they should go for merit instead of left or right.

Bumrah will most likely play one Test and make way for Akash in Kanpur unless Bangladesh somehow wins in Chennai.
Yes, i thought Harshit was the front runner but here selectors have considered YD for the LH factor. Maybe they think his follow through will create rough for the off spinners like Ash. Much of Lyon's wickets owed to Starc for roughing up as well.
Whats the dope on YD , is he quick/fast medium or another 125kmph trundler?
Why cant we select out and out quicks like Umraan - what are we saving him for - select him when he is 35 and a 120kmph trundler?

Good team.
I'd go Kulli for Akshar. We have enought batting muscle. The extra dimension Kulli gives will be handy, if its a flat batting chennai wicket.
Hopefully we win in Chennai and Akash Deep gets in for Jassi in the Kanpur test. The last think any indian fan would want is jassi bowling 50 overs in searing heat across innings.

BD needs to do many things right for us to compete with India in this series. Everything(batting/bowling/fielding/captaining) needs to be in place and in perfect order within the capability of the team.

India need to do just one thing and that is not to take the series as a warmup for Australia tour and dismissing BD before the tour even starts. Play BD seriously and there is no reason India should have any issue in defeating US

Anyone know why there are no ODIs in the tour? infact I dont think we have played bilateral ODIs in India. I think if there is any format where BD have a slight chance of beating India that would be an unimportant bilateral ODI series. India lost the last ODI series one by very small margin in BD, should have been a return series.

Last time BD toured IND, they got blown away. Let's see what improvements they can make this time against a very powerful and ATG Indian team.

India won by an innings and 130 runs
India won by an innings and 46 runs

Hope they play Sarfaraz ahead of Rahul but somehow I doubt that will happen.
Jaiswal, Rohit, Gill, Kohli, KL, Pant, Jadeja, Ashwin, Kuldeep, Bumrah, Siraj is I think what they'll go with.
I too believe Sarfaraz should play ahead of KL Rahul. I would go with
Rohit, Jaiswal, Gill, Kohli, Sarfaraz, Pant, Jadeja, Ashwin, Kuldeep, Akash Deep, and Bumrah for the Chennai Test.

Last time BD toured IND, they got blown away. Let's see what improvements they can make this time against a very powerful and ATG Indian team.

India won by an innings and 130 runs
India won by an innings and 46 runs
I am looking forward to watching Nahid Rana. The pitches may not support him much, but I am excited to see how he can make a difference with his pace.

I am looking forward to watching Nahid Rana. The pitches may not support him much, but I am excited to see how he can make a difference with his pace.
If umraan with constant 150+ speed can't do anything in Indian pitches what would nahid Rana do?

Indians are never bothered by pace. It is the movement of the deck. Mashrafe mortaza type movement.
I don't think there would be any movement in Chennai pitch. If there were movement shariful would have come in handy

Two pacers are enough. Bumrah and Akashdeep in first test in my opinion and then bring Siraj in place of Bumrah or Akashdeep in Kanpur Test. Kanpur might have something for pacers.

Two pacers are enough. Bumrah and Akashdeep in first test in my opinion and then bring Siraj in place of Bumrah or Akashdeep in Kanpur Test. Kanpur might have something for pacers.
Joffra Archer and Anderson found movement at chennai in one of the Test. Definitely being a left armer he will be the biggest threat for Indians as they tend to fall over in an eagerness to play through on side.

Joffra Archer and Anderson found movement at chennai in one of the Test. Definitely being a left armer he will be the biggest threat for Indians as they tend to fall over in an eagerness to play through on side.
Who?

BD used to have this guy Abu Jayed who could move the ball quite a bit, but didnt have enough pace or height to trouble batsmen.

2 Tests and 3 T20s.

If India field depleted teams in T20, BD should win at least 1. They won 1 T20 last time they toured India.

If umraan with constant 150+ speed can't do anything in Indian pitches what would nahid Rana do?
Umran was erratic. If he could keep a tight line and vary his length, he would do very well in Indian pitches. From what little I saw, I liked Nahid Rana. Let us wait and watch.

BD used to have this guy Abu Jayed who could move the ball quite a bit, but didnt have enough pace or height to trouble batsmen.

Don't think he can get in the team now.

Taskin, Shoriful, and Nahid are booked. Once Ebadot returns from injury, he should be in contention too. Hassan Mahmud also made an impact.

to do anything, he needs to be selected first. indian team management has some sort of fascination with these serial no name 125kmph kumar type trundlers. His peak years are being wasted with non selection. The same with guys like Kuldeep Sen and Kartik Tyagi.

to do anything, he needs to be selected first. indian team management has some sort of fascination with these serial no name 125kmph kumar type trundlers. His peak years are being wasted with non selection. The same with guys like Kuldeep Sen and Kartik Tyagi.

Someone said he is way erratic with his line and length. I think without getting selected his line and length will not fix. If not selected for India then for India A touring other countries. India I think can easily select him for tests against Afg, Ireland Zim and BD. Also may be for WI at India. I am talking about tests that India can easily win even if umraan goes for runs.

150+ constant is unique. You need to give this guy chance. I don't think India ever had 150+ constant bowler. That is a reason alone to invest in umraan.

It could be a clean sweep but considering the performance of team India against Sri Lanka, you may never know that they might end up losing another series.

Pakistan win is in past: Litton Das wary of India's SG balls ahead of Test series​

Bangladesh wicket-keeper batter Litton Kumar Das said his side's historic series win in Pakistan is in the past and the focus now shifts to the two Tests against India. Speaking to reporters at the Sher-e-Bangla National Stadium on Tuesday, Litton acknowledged the importance of moving on from past achievements as Bangladesh prepare to face India in two Tests and three T20Is starting September 15.

"We have played very well against Pakistan. That is already in the past," Litton stated, urging the media not to dwell too much on their historic series win. "There is a big, challenging series ahead against India. For me as a player, the Pakistan series is over, but we definitely gained confidence from it."

Bangladesh's maiden Test series victory against Pakistan has boosted the team’s morale, but Litton cautioned against resting on their laurels. Instead, he stressed the significance of focusing on the next assignment, especially given India’s formidable record at home. "When we play India at their home, they are always the better side," he said. "I wouldn't say it will be extremely challenging or very easy. They are a very good team in their own conditions. If you look at the rankings, they are so high up. So I think it will be a challenging series for us."

One key challenge Bangladesh faces in the upcoming Test series is adapting to the SG ball, which is commonly used in India, as opposed to the Kookaburra ball they are more accustomed to. Litton admitted that this adjustment will be difficult for the players. "India is a big team, and the ball will also change," he noted. "We rarely play with that ball. It will be challenging. The players are working very hard."

Discussing the technical aspects, Litton explained the difference between the SG and Kookaburra balls. "It's tough to play with the Kookaburra when the ball is new, but it's easier to play once the ball is old. However, with the SG ball, playing with the new ball is somewhat easier, but playing with the old ball is tougher. We are practicing, let’s see what happens."

Litton also emphasized the importance of starting each session strongly, a crucial aspect in Test cricket. "We need to focus on winning the opening sessions," he said. "In Test cricket, every session is important. Personally, I feel we haven't played at our 100% in the first sessions in the past. There is room for big improvement here."

As Bangladesh gears up for the Test series, their recent victory over Pakistan has certainly provided confidence, but the challenge of facing India on their home turf, with the added twist of adapting to the SG ball, presents a formidable task for Litton Das and his team.

We are still in search of reliable openers and solid middle order batsmen, there are five walking wickets in the top 6, will be hard to score more than 200 runs in both innings. Only reliable batsmen are Mushy, Liton & Mehedi rest are based on luck. We don't need Rana and should rest him for West Indies series. Plan is go with Hasan / Taskin & Shoriful.

Mushfiq, Liton, Mehedy, Shakib, Hasan, Shorifiul, Taijul & pick any four batsmen

Bangladesh Test Squad for India Tour 2024

The Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) announces the Tour of India 2024 squad. The team will leave for India for two test matches in Chennai and Kanpur. The first Test begins on 19 September while the second match starts on 27 September. Also, Bangladesh will play 3 T20i matches against India.

SQUAD

Najmul Hossain Shanto (C), Zakir Hasan, Mominul Haque, Mushfiqur Rahim, Shadman Islam, Shakib Al Hasan, Mehidy Hasan Miraz, Jaker Ali Anik, Taskin Ahmed, Litton Das, Hasan Mahmud, Taijul Islam, Mahmudul Hasan Joy, Nayeem Hasan, Nahid Rana, Khaled Ahmed

BCB

Typical dry wicket will be on offer at Chennai. Hopefully rain stays away during the test as it mostly rains in Chennai during India's matches.

Is this the time for Bangladesh to surprise india?

Their under 19 products from the u 19 wc may shine.

What a devastating performance vs pakistan.

Nahid is better. He has bounce, is tall and I'd more accurate. Umran lacks accuracy and bounce. That's why he fails in indiaindia

Bangladesh batting coach David Hemp said while talking to a sports media outlet:

"Firstly, India at home is a formidable team. This statistically everyone knows. So it goes without saying that they are a very strong side and coupled with that the fact they have some world-class players. So, you know, we're under no false illusions that it's going to be a challenge and we're going to get tested."

"But what's really important is to take the confidence and find the learnings from the Pakistan series into that series. Remember what we were thinking, what the mindset was and how we prepared, how we simply focused whether with bat or ball, just one ball at a time and identify what the team needs were at a particular moment. We know it will be difficult, but we've got to trust ourselves and believe that we can go there and certainly put India under pressure, both with bat and ball. And then see what sort of translates from that."

I think, yes ( we need to follow the same batting approach we executed in the Pakistan Test series). You have to put runs on the board, and I think that you have to bat for a period of time. The key bit is assessing and identifying what the conditions are doing then adapting and adjusting to understand what the bowlers are doing at a particular moment. I go back to the Sri Lanka series, I think we just didn't do that well enough, but what you saw in the Pakistan series is that we did that very, very well. You saw the difference in the obviously the output of runs and the time spent at the crease."

"So it's still about you know, we want to score runs, we want individuals to demonstrate their skills and to show people how they can play. But you've got to understand well at times that you need to be smart based on what's happening around you." he said.

"Well, let's see. I mean, we didn't expect to see as much grass on the surfaces in Pakistan as we did. So, you know, from our point of view that that was something a bit different. So, India, who knows? It could be spinning wickets, they could be wickets with grass on them. They could be very good batting wickets that just are allowed to deteriorate naturally across the five days."

"So, we'll have to wait to see what we know when we get there. But the key thing is when we do see the surface and we need to identify what the opportunities are but also then what the threats are playing on a particular surface. So make sure that we as a group, we are continuously assessing, adjusting and adapting to those conditions and those situations."

I hope India beats Bangladesh and take badla on behalf of Pakistan.

Not sure why but I get a feeling that most Pak posters will support India for this series.
Nah . no one from Pakistan support India against Bangladesh .

I think Bangladesh can surprise us in 1st test where most of our players are rusty while Bangladesh player's are just coming from beating Pakistan in test cricket .

Is this the time for Bangladesh to surprise india?

Their under 19 products from the u 19 wc may shine.

What a devastating performance vs pakistan.
Surely they are going to give India a tough time because they are just as good at playing in spin friendly conditions as India.

Even eng played on fair pitches in the last series.anyhow bng were completely foxed by kuldeep last time on their own pitches
If india is full strength not even the greatest West Indian side of 80s would beat India in India.
Kohlis and rahanes India I mean..

Right now we are in a bit of a transition but I still don't see us losing at full strength to prime w.indies. maybe draw max.

Because we are missing players there is a chance for an upset

Because we are missing players there is a chance for an upset
Whom we are missing?we are missing fit players and form players (rohit, kohli,ever misfiring kl) .Shami was not there for eng series too.I wish soon we find a proper player like jaiswal at 5 .

Whom we are missing?we are missing fit players and form players (rohit, kohli,ever misfiring kl) .Shami was not there for eng series too.I wish soon we find a proper player like jaiswal at 5 .
Shami injury
Some past it players.

Surely they are going to give India a tough time because they are just as good at playing in spin friendly conditions as India.

They are. But don't you think there's a teeny tiny difference between playing an attack of Mehidy - Shakib -Taijul vs an attack of Ashwin-Jadeja-Kuldeep ?

Chennai pitch should assist BD bowlers.

Having said that, Indian bowlers should also have a good time in Chennai. They have better bowlers.

I expect 1st Test to be not very high-scoring.

Having said that, Indian bowlers should also have a good time in Chennai. They have better bowlers.

Definitely agree with you.

Because Chennai is usually a dry spinning wicket, it should assist both Indian and Bangladeshi spinners. They will be picking up a lot of wickets because batsmen usually struggle a lot when facing spinners on dry turners.

Having said that, India are the favourites to win because they have better spinners who usually turn the ball more. And as the batters get out to the said spinners before they score too many runs, this Test match will be a low scoring affair. One this is for sure though...we will definitely know the result of this Test match by the end of day 5.

India in India is hard for any team let alone us. I may have lost my hurs predicting out last series but very confident that we will lose 2-0. Last time we toured Ind boat tests were innings defeat. This time I hope india is required to bat twice
For the first time though Bangladesh have a formidable pace attack. So it will be interesting.
Nahid shoriful taskin and the other fella is a good attack. Very good bowling attack. Pace attack. Good pacers can do well in India. You need bounce pace and skill. Pace around 135 to 145.

Also kohli and a couple of others can't play spin.

For the first time though Bangladesh have a formidable pace attack. So it will be interesting.
Nahid shoriful taskin and the other fella is a good attack. Very good bowling attack. Pace attack. Good pacers can do well in India. You need bounce pace and skill. Pace around 135 to 145.
Shariful is not there. Injured. Without shariful our pace attack is kinda one dimensional and not that hot enough to challenge India in India specially in chennai

Definitely agree with you.

Because Chennai is usually a dry spinning wicket, it should assist both Indian and Bangladeshi spinners. They will be picking up a lot of wickets because batsmen usually struggle a lot when facing spinners on dry turners.

Having said that, India are the favourites to win because they have better spinners who usually turn the ball more. And as the batters get out to the said spinners before they score too many runs, this Test match will be a low scoring affair. One this is for sure though...we will definitely know the result of this Test match by the end of day 5.
Don't think the match will go to day 5 if no rain around

Shariful is not there. Injured. Without shariful our pace attack is kinda one dimensional and not that hot enough to challenge India in India specially in chennai
Who replaces shoriful?
Ebadot is good too.
Abu jayed did pretty good last time. Although he is slow.

Ebadot tasking nahid and mahmud is still a good attack

Shoriful yes he is a solid player. That dance move he did in the odi wc still cracks me up.

Who replaces shoriful?
Ebadot is good too.
Abu jayed did pretty good last time. Although he is slow.

Ebadot tasking nahid and mahmud is still a good attack

Shoriful yes he is a solid player. That dance move he did in the odi wc still cracks me up.
Ebadot is also injured. Abu jayed is a what could have been case. BCB did not handled him well. Shariful is replaced by a batsman jaker Ali. Don't ask me why. I have no idea

Bangladesh still carry the minnow mentality. Few wins here or there and here comes the bonuses and cheers from Govt/parliament as if they won World Championship.

That being said, in T20 I am interested to see how this kid Jishan Alam play. Evidently, he has technique like Kohli according to local media LOL.

Bangladesh still carry the minnow mentality. Few wins here or there and here comes the bonuses and cheers from Govt/parliament as if they won World Championship.

That being said, in T20 I am interested to see how this kid Jishan Alam play. Evidently, he has technique like Kohli according to local media LOL.

I have seen him play in the nets, media is not wrong, he has big hitting ability like Afridi and is not afraid of facing fast bowlers.

Report - Shubman Gill will be rested for Bangladesh T20 due to workload, focusing on upcoming Test series.

Report - Shubman Gill will be rested for Bangladesh T20 due to workload, focusing on upcoming Test series.
I think all the test players part of nz test series should be rested for bng t20 series . Only 5,6 days gap is there I believe.once nz series is done, we have aus series.so better to rotate all the multi format players like Gill,Jaiswal, Pant, Siraj.

Najmul banks on cohesive team play to succeed against experienced India

Bangladesh’s tour of India begins with the Chennai Test on 19 September.

Fresh off a morale-boosting 2-0 win over Pakistan, Bangladesh will now look to upend neighbours India in their upcoming ICC World Test Championship (WTC) series.

Speaking to reporters before departing for India, Bangladesh captain Najmul Hossain Shanto believed his side could overcome their more experienced opponents if they looked to function and deliver as a team.

“Our spin and pace is in a good frame,” Najmul added. “But still if you compare the teams, I feel our pacers are relatively less experienced compared to them. Spin-wise we are closer to them but experience-wise, I would keep them ahead but our spinners can bowl in any condition.

“And I can say this much - that all the players, whether pacers, spinners or batters, whoever will play, every player will give a hundred percent. The difference can be made when we play as a team.”

Apart from their recent outing in Pakistan, Bangladesh will also take heart from the fact that some of the more experienced names like Shakib Al Hasan, Mushfiqur Rahim, Mehidy Hasan Miraz, Litton Das, and Taijul Islam will be in the ranks.

The presence of this lot could be a potential boost to Najmul’s stratagem of playing good cricket over the five days to best India.

“The result happens in the last session of the five days and so if we can play good cricket we have a chance to do well in the last session.

“It is important what plans need to be executed to play well for five days, and there will be a chance to win but let's not think too far ahead and focus on our strength and how we can play good cricket.”

While many of Bangladesh’s stars shined in their historic triumph in Rawalpindi, Najmul’s form remains a concern. The batter has scored 90 runs at an average of 12.85 from four Tests this year.

Najmul was hopeful he could improve on his contributions for the side.

“My personal goal is that Bangladesh team wins and I feel as a batter if I can contribute to the team. The preparation that is required to do that, I have done.”

India remains one of the two cricketing sides along with South Africa, that Bangladesh are yet to beat in Tests. The series also carries important WTC implications, and can see major movements in the standings. India lead the table with a point percentage of 68.52, whereas Bangladesh are at the fourth place with 45.83%.

ICC

Good to have Indian cricket back finally after such a long break. This will be playing XI for 1st test against Bangladesh -

Rohit (c)
Jaiswal
Gill
Kohli
KL Rahul
Pant
Axar
Ashwin
Kuldeep
Bumrah
Siraj

BCCI was considering this series as a practice before NZ test matches. But thanks to Pakistan for losing against mighty Bangla and forced India to take this seriously. Honest neighbour they said...well said.

:srt

Good to have Indian cricket back finally after such a long break. This will be playing XI for 1st test against Bangladesh -

Rohit (c)
Jaiswal
Gill
Kohli
KL Rahul
Pant
Axar
Ashwin
Kuldeep
Bumrah
Siraj
look our players in 3 4 5 my god :vk1

Media likes to hype up players. Same media may grill him if he fails.

Agree that one simple Test series win shouldn't cause too many financial gifts. It is ridiculous really.

BCCI was considering this series as a practice before NZ test matches. But thanks to Pakistan for losing against mighty Bangla and forced India to take this seriously. Honest neighbour they said...well said.

:srt
Thanks to Pakistan.
Now our brothers from Pakistan wanted Bangladesh to beat us:ssmith

We are too rigid to encourage new guys in place of oldies. I think jadeja will be preferred irrespective of form

Think he is not 100% fit and hence skipped Duleep Trophy. Also, Jaddu has now joined politics and close to retirement from cricket.

There are only two decisions to be made.

Sarfaraz or KL at 6

And

Kuldeep or Axar at 8

I would choose Sarfaraz and Kuldeep.

Back