#BanIPL Trends On Twitter After India Surrenders To New Zealand In The ICC T20 World Cup 2021

Bhaag Viru Bhaag

Senior Test Player
Runs
Twitterati was seemingly extremely upset with team India after they registered their second loss of the ICC T20 World Cup 2021, this time to New Zealand by 8 wickets. India had lost the first match of the tournament too against arch-rivals Pakistan by 10 wickets. Now, the Men in Blue’s top 4 qualification looks impossible with the result depending upon the fate of the other teams.

Once again, Indian skipper Virat Kohli lost the toss and the Men in Blue were put in to bat first. However, the show began none different to what the spectators had already seen in the game against Pakistan. This time, the batting was even poor as the Men in Blue could manage only 110 runs in their 20 overs for the loss of 8 wickets.

Ban IPL Trends On Twitter After India Surrenders To New Zealand In The T20 World Cup 2021

New Zealand, as they walked in to bat cruised to the target with 8 wickets in hand as they finished the game in 14.2 overs in a must-win match. Ish Sodhi was adjudged the player of the match for his brilliant bowling spell. The Men in Blue will now face Afghanistan, Namibia, and Scotland in their remaining group fixtures.

Pakistan are the best team in the group so far as they have almost qualified for the semi-final of the T20 World Cup having won 3 out of 3 games so far in the tournament. Afghanistan have also registered 2 wins in the 3 matches that they have played so far. New Zealand have also opened their account in the tournament with a win over India.

https://cricketaddictor.com/cricket...ers-to-new-zealand-in-the-t20-world-cup-2021/

table.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
India is playing very poor cricket. I don't know why they were letting the NZ bowlers just bowl to them, no aggression, no putting the bowler in any pressure. As a neutral very disappointing one sides match.

How exactly IPL helped India in T20Is?

Looking at India's performances in World T20 after 2007 I can't find any positives of IPL except money.

India had already won a T20 Trophy in 2007 before the launch of IPL in 2008 and after playing 14 editions of IPL including 2 of them in UAE where does India stand in T20 Internationals? Not a single trophy? Even West Indies won twice during this period and their league is not even in the top 3!

We are reminded during every IPL season that's it's the best league and the quality is world-class but why India is not able to convert the world-class IPL performances in International T20s?

IPL is the best thing happened to Indian cricket. India lost vs Pak and NZ. That can happen.

Its not as if India is the best T20 side in the world.

IPL has helped India win a test series in Australia, which is our greatest win of all-time alongside 1983 and 2011 World Cup.

The reason why I say so is because the test series win in Australia came because of youngsters who didn't had enough international experience but played their best cricket during those days, showed their skills vs pace and bounce and won that series.

You can't expect the same players to keep winning every big series. The other guys also have to fire. This was tournament for other guys to fire and they failed.

Last edited:
IPL has helped India win a test series in Australia, which is our greatest win of all-time alongside 1983 and 2011 World Cup.

The reason why I say so is because the test series win in Australia came because of youngsters who didn't had enough international experience but played their best cricket during those days, showed their skills vs pace and bounce and won that series.

You can't expect the same players to keep winning every big series. The other guys also have to fire. This was tournament for other guys to fire and they failed.

No shame in losing to NZ, but India went down without a fight. It looked like the sort of defeat which marks the end of an era. Some of these guys might be past their sell by date.

No shame in losing to NZ, but India went down without a fight. It looked like the sort of defeat which marks the end of an era. Some of these guys might be past their sell by date.

It was indeed an absymal show of cricket. Actually, India batted like cowards. That is a reality and it was actually pretty visible too.

Perhaps, they had the fear of same opposition in their mind, New Zealand who have got the better of them in 2019 World Cup and World Test Championship.

Am i the only Indian who is not interested in IPL??
I'm already depressed seeing the size of the league 😐😐
2 months of useless league which gives you nothing else but money..
May I'm only indian here who haven't watched a single match of IPL from past 5 season 😐

The IPL helped us win a series in Australia?????

I'm already depressed seeing the size of the league ����
May I'm only indian here who haven't watched a single match of IPL from past 5 season ��

I'm Pakistani, but with you 100%. I don't watch a ball of IPL, largely due to the above.

May I'm only indian here who haven't watched a single match of IPL from past 5 season 😐

You are a true cricket fan.

Keep it up.

Lot of silly trends on twitter, doesn't necessarily mean it’s right.

I trust BCCi to schedule it better next time and give importance to ICC tourneys.

Honestly, T20 isn't all that relevant tournament to start with but what a cowardly display of performance from Indians.

Last edited:
Indians claiming IPL helped them win tests should get their brians checked. IPL is played in T20 format and not tests.

If they want to improve in T20s would they be playing IPL in 5 days Test format?

I'm already depressed seeing the size of the league ����
May I'm only indian here who haven't watched a single match of IPL from past 5 season ��

with you, dont have any interest in psl or ipl. they are money spinning ventures and good for players to gain financial security. but they exist purely to make money and that sucks the romance out of sport for me.

When India beat Australia and England - everyone were praising IPL for creating so much depth in Indian cricket

Now everyone is cursing IPL :p

In Indian politics whenever something goes wrong , Narendra Modi blames it on Nehru and Congress
Its same with IPL. Anything wrong in cricket is bcoz of IPL :p

If India beats South Africa in South Africa in December - all these threads will look rubbish

Everyone will start extolling virtues of IPL in unearthing talents

If India beats South Africa in South Africa in December - all these threads will look rubbish

Everyone will start extolling virtues of IPL in unearthing talents

Yeah but that's a dogs*** South Africa test team in comparison to all their previous sides I've seen since 2000. It's possibly the worst South Africa test side of all time.

Even the Pakistan team managed by the two biggest frauds, Misbah/Waqar, who I refer to as the nexus of incompetence, managed to beat them, albeit at home.

Last edited:
Point is giving full credit to IPL for test successes is wrong although IPL does play a factor in increasing depth of domestic cricket

Similarly blaming IPL for this T20 WC disaster is wrong. The real culprit was poor squad selection like Bhuvi , Shami, Chahar and leaving out top performers like Chahal

Yeah but that's a dogs*** South Africa test team in comparison to all their previous sides I've seen since 2000. It's possibly the worst South Africa test side of all time.

Even the Pakistan team managed by the two biggest frauds, Misbah/Waqar, who I refer to as the nexus of incompetence, managed to beat them, albeit at home.

Beating South Africa in south africa is whole lot different than playing them in subcontinent

Kagiso Rabada and Nortje wont be easy on those custom made fast seaming pitches in Durban and Wanderers. South Africa is bit like India of 90s - **** outside home but still a force to reckon on tailor made fast seaming pitches at home

ps : If India win - it will be nice Treble ( Aus , Eng and RSA in 1 calendar year :) )

Beating South Africa in south africa is whole lot different than playing them in subcontinent

Kagiso Rabada and Nortje wont be easy on those custom made fast seaming pitches in Durban and Wanderers. South Africa is bit like India of 90s - **** outside home but still a force to reckon on tailor made fast seaming pitches at home

ps : If India win - it will be nice Treble ( Aus , Eng and RSA in 1 calendar year :) )

Which is why I said "albeit at home" :)

I appreciate it won't be a walk in the park but India has no excuse to not win that series given this is possibly the weakest South Africa test side of all time.

Fans are fickle. Do the Indian selectors really believe this to be the best T20 side available? IPL was not the reason why India won a Test series in Australia! Guy's like Varun seem out of their depth here.

Fans are fickle. Do the Indian selectors really believe this to be the best T20 side available? IPL was not the reason why India won a Test series in Australia! Guy's like Varun seem out of their depth here.

I think Varun is good

He will be very useful against Afg, Namibia and Scotland.

Varun hasn’t taken the world by storm, but he hasn’t been taken to the cleaners either. Probably shouldn’t be bowling in the powerplay

Last edited:
I think Varun is good

He will be very useful against Afg, Namibia and Scotland.

Varun hasn’t taken the world by storm, but he hasn’t been taken to the cleaners either. Probably shouldn’t be bowling in the powerplay

He is not even as good as Usman Qadir.

The only reason he hasnt been taken to the cleaners is because the batters didnt have to take risk.

He will get pummelled for 10 an over otherwise.

I do not follow IPL but saw a meme somewhere about KL Rahul's stats in IPL and they were freakish... The guy just can't cross double figures in International T20s.

Please do not ban IPL. Btw is there any Mauka Mauka type campaign for Ind vs Nz? They really boss India in world cups and icc tournaments and world test championship.

Franchise cricket brings in the cash and is a good for showcasing talent but it will never have the pressure of a WC game, where one mistake can haunt you for years.

I do not follow IPL but saw a meme somewhere about KL Rahul's stats in IPL and they were freakish... The guy just can't cross double figures in International T20s.

Please do not ban IPL. Btw is there any Mauka Mauka type campaign for Ind vs Nz? They really boss India in world cups and icc tournaments and world test championship.

How many white ball ICC events has NZ won?

This is Gold :))

If India continues to give too much importance to this Bollywood cricket, they will decline.

Every nation needs a T20 league, India cannot and will not ban it. To many Indians love the IPL so much, main reason imo, an Indian will always be a winner :)

Please continue with the best league in the world. It is certainly helping keep up the mystery of certain Pakistan players. You get used to playing a certain style of cricket and Pakistan plays very different and unpredictable game. Only good for Pakistan.

Point is giving full credit to IPL for test successes is wrong although IPL does play a factor in increasing depth of domestic cricket

Similarly blaming IPL for this T20 WC disaster is wrong. The real culprit was poor squad selection like Bhuvi , Shami, Chahar and leaving out top performers like Chahal
The only think I can think of is IPL’s foreign fast bowlers have given good exposure to good quality fast bowling to our young batsmen. I don’t our rookies like Gill, Pant,Sundar or even Shardul would have faced the pace Starc,Cummins and Hazelwood in Indian domestic cricket if not for IPL.

I got bored by the first edition itself. But Indian cricket need that money and IPL teams have raised the standards of our stadiums. It has open the door to quality support staff which will benefit Indian cricket in the long term.

Where is Cricketjoshila? Why does he go missing whenever India is struggling?

with you, dont have any interest in psl or ipl. they are money spinning ventures and good for players to gain financial security. but they exist purely to make money and that sucks the romance out of sport for me.

I don't have any interest in IPL, but PSL has allowed me to watch many emerging Pakistan talents who would have been frozen out if IPL had been the only player. PSL has been great for Pakistan cricket in my opinion, maybe IPL would have been as well if they allowed Pakistan players to compete.

I do not think anyone should blame IPL.

Like Indians, we came into tournament playing National T20 cup.

Only things is that Indian need to play few international T20 series as well along side IPL.

They should treat IPL as a domestic tournament.

I don't have any interest in IPL, but PSL has allowed me to watch many emerging Pakistan talents who would have been frozen out if IPL had been the only player. PSL has been great for Pakistan cricket in my opinion, maybe IPL would have been as well if they allowed Pakistan players to compete.

can u even be a pak cricket fan if u arent excited about the next talent on the horizon, lol? i meant in the context of caring about the results, being invested in the teams or making time to what the game for the games sake.

can u even be a pak cricket fan if u arent excited about the next talent on the horizon, lol? i meant in the context of caring about the results, being invested in the teams or making time to what the game for the games sake.

I was just quite surprised how weak Indian team was after hearing all the noise from Pak cheerleaders hyping them up to high heaven. Those cheerleaders seem to be MIA right now though.

India did not hit a boundary for ten overs or something versus NZ. That is terrible in a T20 match by a supposed powerful batting line up.

The people who are trending #BanIPL will all of a sudden start watching IPL and the retention policy news once again in a matter of few days.

The point here that a lot of people are failing to understand or perhaps don't want to understand is that IPL is helping BCCI generate huge revenues and that is exactly what they are using in improvements of domestic cricket structure. If they don't generate this revenue, then India, like Pakistan, will start producing Naseem Shah type bowlers again and their test rankings will reflect the mediocrity that used to be reflected during Dhoni's days after the decline of Fab 4 Indian batsman.

For years, India struggled with quality pacers. The best we had was Kapil Dev but there never really was a number of great fast bowler together that India had at any point. For winning test matches in places like Australia, South Africa and England, it is mandatory to have high quality pacers and the required investment need to be done by the board to improve the domestic structure of Indian cricket which will ultimately let them produce world class cricketers who can go on and win test matches everywhere. This has only happened in this IPL era and in last 4-5 years that we have like 4-5 world class fast bowlers who have gone to England and Australia and achieved huge success. It never happened before.

Regarding the failure in World T20 is concerned, it comes down to our team management's inability of selecting right players and Virat Kohli as a LOI captain who is perhaps as bad in LOIs as good a test captain he is.

Basically, the fact is that a team is remembered for its exploits in Test Cricket and ODI World Cup and whatever they do in T20 World Cup is just an add-on.

The current Indian test team will be remembered as the greatest Asian Test team if they go on to win the England series later next year and it will overshadow all the ICC tournaments failures. A T20 world cup win though will not have any impact on the legacy of a cricket nation.

The usual dancing up and down by critics here will only work for a few days just like how Windies were still considered a minnow cricket nation even after being the WT20 champions for five years straight. Their T20 win didn't had any impact on their legacy as a cricket nation as they were not able to produce the same result in Test Cricket or in ODI World Cup, which is why they were not taken seriously as a major cricket nation even after becoming WT20 champions.

Anybody who thinks the domestic T20 leagues are for winning ICC tournaments either doesn't understand economics or just sport in general.

The Premier league is the world's most famous football league. Remind of the last time England won an international title at senior level. I don't remember England fans asking the Premier league to get scrapped lol.

Lot of silly trends on twitter, doesn't necessarily mean it’s right.

I trust BCCi to schedule it better next time and give importance to ICC tourneys.
They've not done that since the last so many ICC tourneys despite performing abysmally in them. What makes you think they'll now mend their ways?

From now on BCCI should actually not give any importance to T20Is (including World Cups). They should send the best playing XI from the whole IPL teams. Like ICC names best World XI in a calendar year, BCCI should simply pick the best XI from IPL teams. People like Kohli, Rohit, Rahul, Bumrah, Shami, Pant, etc, were drained out of tough test series, and they cannot match straight away the exactly opposite demands of T20... India have the luxury to pick completely different team. Certain teams like Pakistan may take T20Is seriously and their test-players might play it very seriously, because they are struggling at tests...

Does India need to worry about World Cups?

Is India heading towards the US model where their sports activities are self-contained and they pay scant attention to any "world" events?

Does India need to worry about World Cups?

Is India heading towards the US model where their sports activities are self-contained and they pay scant attention to any "world" events?

The fans will of course pay attention to world events. But the sheer scale of money involved with the IPL will mean that it'd be hard for the BCCI to pay full attention to the world events. And with the IPL expanding with two more teams and possibly expanding even further from 2 months to say 3 months, it would get only worse.

Anybody who thinks the domestic T20 leagues are for winning ICC tournaments either doesn't understand economics or just sport in general.

The Premier league is the world's most famous football league. Remind of the last time England won an international title at senior level. I don't remember England fans asking the Premier league to get scrapped lol.

There we go. Another failed comparison with EPL without doing any research and knowing about football. Do you even know how many teams compete in a football world cup? What is the probability of winning a world cup for a team like England out of those teams? EPL isn't the only big football league in the world. There are La Liga and Italian Serie A also which you have missed unknowingly. IPL fans call IPL the biggest cricket league in the world yet it is not giving any result in international cricket. Football on the other hand has many big leagues and many teams compete to get into the world cup. Cricket only has 10-12 teams. You are comparing apples with oranges. :inti

Well the comparison is quite different but even if we are to accept the flawed logic then the second part of your statement is incorrect.

Around 2010 - 2015 there was MASSIVE criticism of the premier league from the media and pundits, talks about player caps a reforming the league.

Its a natural reaction.

English teams have won the Champions league numerous times which is the pinnacle of club football.

You need to stop making these false comparisons between Cricket and Football.

India looked visibly shaken after the loss against Pak yesterday. Their body language was the most flaccid I have seen since probably 2011-12 clean sweeps by Eng and Aus in their respective homes and England in India. They looked so much under pressure. They probably took wt20 a bit too lightly and their squad selection was bullish rather than sensible.

On the other hand, Indian fans going overboard is nothing new. Similar events have occurred in the past.

Although I still won't say IPL has destroyed Indian cricket and stuff. I think it has helped them by generating money which they probably put in the grass root system. They just need to put more emphasis on international cricket and respect international cricket like it should be. Playing with such an intense fanbase can be taxing.

There we go. Another failed comparison with EPL without doing any research and knowing about football. Do you even know how many teams compete in a football world cup? What is the probability of winning a world cup for a team like England out of those teams? EPL isn't the only big football league in the world. There are La Liga and Italian Serie A also which you have missed unknowingly. IPL fans call IPL the biggest cricket league in the world yet it is not giving any result in international cricket. Football on the other hand has many big leagues and many teams compete to get into the world cup. Cricket only has 10-12 teams. You are comparing apples with oranges. :inti

Did you even understand my post? What part of the Premier league being the "most famous" league in world football did you not understand?

I'm well aware of leagues like La Liga and Serie A given I followed La liga religiously for the best part of a decade thanks, so you certainly don't need to educate me on those leagues especially when you yourself would have hardly followed these leagues in your life.

The Premier League is by far the most followed league world over in football, but it doesn't mean it has to translate into success at international level for England. My whole point was that sporting leagues are designed primarily to being money makers, and not to cater to international success for a country. A Manchester United or a Chelsea owner would give no damn about picking English players in their club as long as they win trophies and the brand value of their club keeps increasing.

And given a chance, the IPL owners would do the same too because they're businessmen by nature and their objective is not to make India win trophies at international level, but to expand their money and it's why they invest millions in the IPL.

Well the comparison is quite different but even if we are to accept the flawed logic then the second part of your statement is incorrect.

Around 2010 - 2015 there was MASSIVE criticism of the premier league from the media and pundits, talks about player caps a reforming the league.

Its a natural reaction.

But that wouldn't necessarily make it right. Because the objective of a Manchester United or a Chelsea is not to contribute to international success for England but to win more trophies at club level, increase their brand value and popularity leading to more merchandise sales and more money.

It's even silly to think the primary objective of sporting leagues is to contribute to international success of an international team. More so in cricket when you have the grassroots domestic cricket for it.

Bumrah giving excuses about fatigue, bio bubble.. If that's the case why they play second leg of ipl, they could have simply optout of it like England players did.

How do you win a test series in any country even at home with T20 performers? All the players who performed in test match cricket would have found their way into Indian side based on 4 day performances. FACT

But that wouldn't necessarily make it right. Because the objective of a Manchester United or a Chelsea is not to contribute to international success for England but to win more trophies at club level, increase their brand value and popularity leading to more merchandise sales and more money.

It's even silly to think the primary objective of sporting leagues is to contribute to international success of an international team. More so in cricket when you have the grassroots domestic cricket for it.

Football comparison does not work with cricket, football is a truly global sport where cricket is played only by 7/8 full member countries and even some of them are struggling to carry on with test match cricket.

This makes IPL largely a domestic product for Indian market and 2 months long 20 over cricket is unlikely to stratify cricket fans for longer periods.

Where Manchester United or Chelsea are truly global clubs capable of satisfying football fans all over the world.

Did you even understand my post? What part of the Premier league being the "most famous" league in world football did you not understand?

I'm well aware of leagues like La Liga and Serie A given I followed La liga religiously for the best part of a decade thanks, so you certainly don't need to educate me on those leagues especially when you yourself would have hardly followed these leagues in your life.

The Premier League is by far the most followed league world over in football, but it doesn't mean it has to translate into success at international level for England. My whole point was that sporting leagues are designed primarily to being money makers, and not to cater to international success for a country. A Manchester United or a Chelsea owner would give no damn about picking English players in their club as long as they win trophies and the brand value of their club keeps increasing.

And given a chance, the IPL owners would do the same too because they're businessmen by nature and their objective is not to make India win trophies at international level, but to expand their money and it's why they invest millions in the IPL.

Yeah so you have followed La Liga for a decade yet you don't even know that apart from World Cups or their qualifiers, internationals don't matter much in Football. Football has a different model. I was not educating you I was just trying to point that you were comparing apples with oranges.

Regarding England winning the world cup, I hope you know the number of international teams that exists in football and understand the probability of winning a world cup out of those. Now compare that to a 12 team cricket world cup. It's been 14 years since India won the last T20 World Cup. IPL fans like to present it as the biggest league where top international cricketers play. They also do not shy away from making fun of other pyjama leagues but when it comes to winning trophies they have nothing to show in the trophy cabinet.

In my opinion #BanIPL is trending because many fans have started to realise that organising IPL just before the World Cup was a bad idea and it has affected the interest and performance of all the players. They are not looking hungry for success. This is the point I have been making for the past 7-8 years here and now some people have started realising it. As a real cricket fan I am more interested in the cricket that is played on the ground. I am not here to gloat about IPL money and how rich these players and franchises are getting everyday. That's what IPL fans usually do. :inti

Last edited:
Football comparison does not work with cricket, football is a truly global sport where cricket is played only by 7/8 full member countries and even some of them are struggling to carry on with test match cricket.

This makes IPL largely a domestic product for Indian market and 2 months long 20 over cricket is unlikely to stratify cricket fans for longer periods.

Where Manchester United or Chelsea are truly global clubs capable of satisfying football fans all over the world.

Yeah. He is trying to compare two different models here. :inti

I'm not on Twitter, but can we get #IPLZindabad trending.

Ban IPL based on 2 T20 defeats? LMAO.

How far people goes to peddle their agenda. There are many things trend on twitter everyday and most of those are not supposed to be taken literally.

If anything IPL will be growing bigger and better from next season with 10 teams and 72 matches. What happened in this T20 world cup is unfortunate but that has absolutely nothing to do with IPL. We won a test series in Australia last year just after IPL. Was IPL was not to be blamed then? LOL.

This is Indian cricket team we are talking about, a thourough professional outfit. You win some and you lose some in sports. This has just been a bad tournament for us and can happen to any top side in the world. I would love to see India chasing here in atleast one game before become critical of the team anyway. Knee jerk reactions like Ban IPL etc sounds very good, give some social media time to online trolls but reality is in Indian cricket - 'Sab Changa Si'.

Last edited:
The IPL or any other sporting league for that matter is not designed to contribute towards international success, that's really my point. It's actually grassroots cricket at domestic level that helps at international level, even in T20 cricket.

When Adani or Ambani buys an IPL club for 5 or 7 billion, he doesn't waste his money so that India can win the WT20. He does so because investing in sporting league is one of the best ways to expand money because of the merchandise sales that comes with it and the broadcasting money. And neither when the Sheikh from Saudi Arabia bought Newcastle, he didn't do so to help England win the next Euros or World cup, it's purely for expanding his capital.

Cricket fans often view the IPL through nationalistic lens and tend to make assumptions like CSK or RCB won't pick foreign player A or B as he sledged Indian players, that couldn't be farther from the truth. IPL owners could not care less about nationalism or the Indian cricket team for that matter and they would pick any player as long as he helps their club to win the IPL and increase its brand value, unless and otherwise there is a directive from above as in the case of Pakistani players in the IPL. These guys are proper businessmen and they became rich only because they view every thing through the monetary lens and not through sports tribalism.

So it's pointless blaming the IPL for not producing the goods at international level because it's not designed to do so, it's designed in a way to generate cash, and loads and loads of it. But I do take your point that the IPL does impede with the domestic and international calendar of the Indian team which affects its performance at international level because these players play in different teams with different roles assigned to them in each team and therefore fail to form any synergy or cohesion when they come together at international level. But I see the IPL getting only longer and not shorter because ultimately money rules cricket and that's just the reality of the situation.

The IPL or any other sporting league for that matter is not designed to contribute towards international success, that's really my point. It's actually grassroots cricket at domestic level that helps at international level, even in T20 cricket.

When Adani or Ambani buys an IPL club for 5 or 7 billion, he doesn't waste his money so that India can win the WT20. He does so because investing in sporting league is one of the best ways to expand money because of the merchandise sales that comes with it and the broadcasting money. And neither when the Sheikh from Saudi Arabia bought Newcastle, he didn't do so to help England win the next Euros or World cup, it's purely for expanding his capital.

Cricket fans often view the IPL through nationalistic lens and tend to make assumptions like CSK or RCB won't pick foreign player A or B as he sledged Indian players, that couldn't be farther from the truth. IPL owners could not care less about nationalism or the Indian cricket team for that matter and they would pick any player as long as he helps their club to win the IPL and increase its brand value, unless and otherwise there is a directive from above as in the case of Pakistani players in the IPL. These guys are proper businessmen and they became rich only because they view every thing through the monetary lens and not through sports tribalism.

So it's pointless blaming the IPL for not producing the goods at international level because it's not designed to do so, it's designed in a way to generate cash, and loads and loads of it. But I do take your point that the IPL does impede with the domestic and international calendar of the Indian team which affects its performance at international level because these players play in different teams with different roles assigned to them in each team and therefore fail to form any synergy or cohesion when they come together at international level. But I see the IPL getting only longer and not shorter because ultimately money rules cricket and that's just the reality of the situation.

Indian fans have been crediting IPL for Indian team success at international level which is pure garbage. Teams like Pakistan with poor domestic setup maybe but India with a well established 4 day set up do not need IPL to produce test players. All Indian players who are good test match players would be in Indian side even without IPL.

IPL was suppose to contribute towards T20 success as its the same format but for whatever reason that has not materialized and India have not won a T20 tournament since the advent of IPL.

The main problem with India T20 team isn’t the IPL, it’s the restriction that Indian players can’t play in other leagues. That’s what is causing Indian players to not handle other sides.

Ban IPL based on 2 T20 defeats? LMAO.

How far people goes to peddle their agenda. There are many things trend on twitter everyday and most of those are not supposed to be taken literally.

If anything IPL will be growing bigger and better from next season with 10 teams and 72 matches. What happened in this T20 world cup is unfortunate but that has absolutely nothing to do with IPL. We won a test series in Australia last year just after IPL. Was IPL was not to be blamed then? LOL.

This is Indian cricket team we are talking about, a thourough professional outfit. You win some and you lose some in sports. This has just been a bad tournament for us and can happen to any top side in the world. I would love to see India chasing here in atleast one game before become critical of the team anyway. Knee jerk reactions like Ban IPL etc sounds very good, give some social media time to online trolls but reality is in Indian cricket - 'Sab Changa Si'.

It is laughable to see people whining based on two games. I think the fact that Pakistan have done well in this tournament till now have allowed them to do the dance even more feely.

Only a matter of few days when they will have a reality check as nobody bothers about T20 format as much except that it is just played to earn extra revenues in lesser time as masses will watch that only .

Ipl isn’t the issue, the issue is the delusion that comes with it, I.e. 3rd rate bowlers going for Crores , spinners who can’t turn the ball being called mystery spinners, batsmen who smash these third rate bowlers being call atg, statements like ipl> international cricket and ipl teams would beat Pakistan etc etc.

This gave india a false sense of security but also added pressure because they were expected to win the tournament just by turning up. We seen in past icc tournaments how mentally weak Indian players can be, seems the weight of expectations has taken its toll, it’s all well and good doing it in Bollywood or in useless bi laterals but it’s the icc tournaments we’re the world watches and remembers.

IPL has done more harm to world cricket and Indian cricket than good.

IPL can give you some short-term gains but it is damaging in the long run.

Reading the comments and it’s sad to see a few bitter Indian fans in here.

Ban IPL was a hashtag clearly started by Indian fans on twitter, why be angry with Pak fans in here ?

Cricket for me was always about international teams because that’s how I got into it and grew up with it and despite 20/20 domestic leagues being shoved down our throats in the last decade it’s Not the same, not even close.

I follow football very closely as well and the comparison is not valid because following domestic teams takes much more presidence over internationals.
People will watch the World Cup over the summer once in 4 years as a good break between the domestic season but no the vast majority of fans will tell you their domestic team matters much more because that is what got them into football in the first place.

It'll take a generation to shift interest from international tournament to domestic tournament.

IPL need 'Team India' to perform at big tournament such as T20 world cup, for Indian team to exit in the early rounds will hurt the brand IPL but obviously IPL will not be eliminated/terminated - and no one is suggesting in this thread.

Current generation of Indians still place more emphasize on winning international tournament than winning at IPL. IPL trophies become meaningless if Indian team can't perform at the international tournament, particularly against Pakistan.

As long as Indian population keep placing more emphasize on the international cricket the BCCI will be forced to make few changes.

Failed to understand defensive response without impartiality from the usual suspect.

Scrapping the IPL isn't going to magically make the Indian team perform better at ICC events. Also just bizarre to see Indian fans say it's now terrible for them, when before it was one of the best things to happen to Indian Cricket.

It's not IPL that's causing this mess, if anything it's helped them in terms of giving their cricketers good income and a good pressure environment to prepare for international cricket. India are still probably the most dominant LOI team in tournaments in the last decade or so (after Australia's dominance ended), though looks like in the last few years England have taken up the mantle.

It's just a bad tournament for them, nothing much else to say. If Rohit, Kohli, Rahul all fail, India aren't going to win, that's their best batsmen. Would be true for us if Rizwan, Babar both failed or Butler, Roy, Malan failed etc. Rohit, Kohli and Rahul usually all consistently perform, just look at their records. India also beat England in the recent T20 series too. It's not a bad team I just think they had a shocker. Maybe motivation wasn't up there due to covid crisis, I think a lot of countries don't look like the force they did pre covid.

Give this guy an Aloe Vera Kleenex.

This is what happens when YOUR countrymen sell their soul for a paltry price that is called the IPL.

Your feeble and laughable attempts at covering up the reality by comparing your countrymen’s FAILURES with a football league/system sums up not only your aptitude but your nations bheghariti and love for money and those fair and lovey cheer leaders.

Aur karo bhangra when a boundary is hit.

Don’t fall for the essay.

After an appalling show put on display by Virat Kohli's Team India in the ongoing ICC T20 World Cup 2021 Super 12 stage, where they suffered two straight humiliating defeats by big margins against rivals Pakistan and their WTC opponents from earlier this year New Zealand, the Men in Blue have been drawing a lot of flak from cricket fans and experts alike from all angles wrt their disappointing performance in the showpiece ICC event so far.

The legendary former Pakistani pacer Wasim Akram aka the Sultan of Swing, who holds the record for most ODI wickets, brought an interesting fact to everybody's notice that prior to the T20 World Cup, the last big international limited-overs series Team India's senior players played was back in March against England.

Akram's point stands validated as recalling the last time India played an opposition in the shortest format was when the Men in Blue played three ODIs and three T20Is in a bilateral series tour of Sri Lanka under Rahul Dravid as coach around July end and that too with a squad full of youngsters, most of whom were making their debuts since the senior players were involved in the Test series in England.

Calling out the Virat Kohli-led side's listlessness as a result of negligence towards playing limited-overs international cricket, the king of swing identified the 'biggest mess-up' made by the 2007 World T20 champions in the lead-up to the World Cup was by 'not taking international series too seriously'.

Although the players took part in the Indian Premier League (IPL) in the UAE recently, no amount of league cricket can match the standards of international cricket, let alone in the World Cup, highlighted Akram.

Speaking to A Sports following India’s defeat to New Zealand, Akram said:

"India last played a limited-overs series with all the senior players in March. Now we are in November. So that shows they are not taking those international series seriously. They think playing the IPL is enough. You play as much league cricket in the world that you want. While playing league cricket, you will find one or two good bowlers in the opposition. In international cricket, you will face all five good bowlers," he emphasized.

Akram's staunch criticism for India's batting lineup was made evident when he weighed in further on Sunday's match, in which India lost to New Zealand by 8 wickets to keep their semi-final chances hanging by a thread.

He said losing the toss deflated India in the first place, which further worsened when the management decided to push Rohit Sharma at number 3.

"It wasn’t a great game. It was a one-sided game. India committed a lot of mistakes. When they lost the toss, I feel they were pushed back a little psychologically. The biggest mess-up was downgraded Rohit Sharma to 3 in a crucial, do-or-die game. The guy has got four centuries in T20Is as opener. They could have made Ishan Kishan bat at 3 too. This was the start when the panic button was pressed," concluded Akram.

https://www.timesnownews.com/sports...team-indias-poor-form-in-t20-world-cup/828686

Surely IPL can't be blamed for India's poor performance because it is there to help test cricket in India? :inti

Back