BJP expels Jaswant Singh for praising Jinnah

Adeel786

Local Club Regular
Runs
Wednesday, August 19, 2009 NEW DELHI:

Former Indian External Minister Jaswant Singh has been expelled from Bharitya Janta Party(BJP).

Singh wrote a book about Jinnah and in contrast of Indian views, declared Jinnah as a great leader. He faulted Nehru and Patel for partition.

[

Last edited by a moderator:
BJP expels Jaswant Singh for praising Jinnah

Wednesday, 19 Aug, 2009 | 02:14 PM PST |

NEW DELHI: The BJP expelled the former foreign minister Jaswant Singh from the party following his recent book praising Pakistani leader Mohammed Ali Jinnah, DawnNews reported.

Singh’s book reflects the politician’s personal admiration for the founder of Pakistan, and has stoked a storm of controversy.

Conservative members of the right-wing BJP have slammed the publication, and had mounted a campaign to ostracize Singh, trashing the BJP with epithets such as the ‘Bhartiya Jinnah Party.’

The decision to expel Singh, a Lok Sabha member and a former Union Minister, was taken by the Parliamentary Board of the party. The BJP’s top leadership took the decision during the opening session of a three-day brainstorming session.

In an earlier statement, BJP President Rajnath Singh distanced his party from Jaswant Singh’s book, which is titled ‘Jinnah — India, Partition, Independence.’

Link: http://www.dawn.com/wps/wcm/connect...els-jaswant-singh-for-praising-jinnah--il--08

Comments: Secular India my @#$@

Jaswant Singh should contest election from Islamabad .i will vote him ..

Jaswant Singh Zindabad

ha ha, this is India's free speech and democracy exposed.

^^ I see there is nothing wrong in Democracy, He was holding a position in an Political Org and he spoke something which irked the political Org ... He was thrown out of the Org... thats it ...

Indieview said:
^^ I see there is nothing wrong in Democracy, He was holding a position in an Political Org and he spoke something which irked the political Org ... He was thrown out of the Org... thats it ...

thats true...

Indieview said:

yeah ok, but he was thrown out just because he praised a pakistani and did you refer the BJP as a political org ?? -don't make laugh :)) , its a Hate party (like the BNP) filled with racist goons

90MPH said:
ha ha, this is India's free speech and democracy exposed.

Well you are talking as if he has been executed. If anything you are actually complimenting India's free speech and democracy. :|

90MPH said:
yeah ok, but he was thrown out just because he praised a pakistani and did you refer the BJP as a political org ?? -don't make laugh :)) , its a Hate party (like the BNP) filled with racist goons

Throwing out of the Org is fine than .. the Medieval period laws of Executing in public and stoning to death etc ..

Medieval stuff this, Pakistan is no Disney land but at least we have good the nature to respect Gandhi. Plenty of politicians and people in Pakistan praise Gandhi without any reaction from the public and their parties. The moment someone even slightly praises Jinnah their is a huge uproar in India with sackings, protests, burnt effigies etc Goes on to show how ignorant the population is and have no understanding and knowledge of the history of the region and even their own country. Jinnah is painted as a villain and what not when almost all observers of that era are in awe of his brilliant leadership and personality, and the fact that he fought hard to keep the sub continent united but it was the power hungry elements from Congress and other parties that forced Jinnah to fight for separation of Pakistan.

Last edited:
Gandhi was one of the most tolerant Indian leaders. Cant disagree against the BJP though.

^^^ lol...he never got the chance to show us his true hinduvta colours..Jinnah himself accused Gandhi of resorting to fascism to get his way!! Old man mahatma isn't the saint everyone claims he is!!

:91: indians (and british) just wont accept that they were defeated by a muslim lawyer. why so bitter RSS? ;)

Extreme Pace said:
Medieval stuff this, Pakistan is no Disney land but at least we have good the nature to respect Gandhi. Plenty of politicians and people in Pakistan praise Gandhi without any reaction from the public and their parties. The moment someone even slightly praises Jinnah their is a huge uproar in India with sackings, protests, burnt effigies etc Goes on to show how ignorant the population is and have no understanding and knowledge of the history of the region and even their own country. Jinnah is painted as a villain and what not when almost all observers of that era are in awe of his brilliant leadership and personality, and the fact that he fought hard to keep the sub continent united but it was the power hungry elements from Congress and other parties that forced Jinnah to fight for separation of Pakistan.

the Great Khan said:
Gandhi was a fascist!! And anyone supporting the bjp is one too!!

:))) :)))

lets see if any prominent indian muslim have the guts to support jaswanth singh here :91: i have heard they are free to do all they want and say in india :91:

waiting....

@deathstreak, errr...you misinterpret. The smilies would be appropriate had someone who praised Gandhi was banned by PP Mods like Jaswant singh was by his party. There are ignorant people everywhere, even Gandhi got shot by his own countrymen.

Respect to Jaswant Singh. Praising Jinnah in India (and resolutely continuing doing so) is like jumping into an arena full of hungry beasts.

Very few people have the guts to do so. Respect!

As usual the akhand bhartis on this forum can't face facts and resort to ridicule to cover the truth..the truth is Gandhi wanted one party in India , the congress..he even mentioned this in an interview with an American newspaper..last I remember most single party states are either fascist or communist!! so instead of revisiting Jinnah maybe we should revisit Gandhi and his insane request to have a Hindu dominated sub continent ignoring the plight of it's largest minorities!!

The Great Khan please don't derail this thread, if you wanna discuss your ignorant views about Gandhi make a new thread for that.

Nehru once said that if Muslim League had 100 Gandhi and Congress had only one Jinnah, India would not have divided...........

Extreme Pace said:

As much as Indians would like to disagree, it´s quite true that Mahatma Gandhi is well respected in Pakistan. I myself have lots of respect for the man:).

I think people are missing the point here. Jaswant was banned because praising Jinnah was completely against BJP's idealogy. Thats like McDonalds praising KFC or Pizza hut saying Pizzas are bad for health. If someone from congress had done the same, he wouldnt have such a big problem. Now whether BJP shuld have such an idealogy in the first place is something completely different

^^ True but BJP is a reprsentative of the people and it is no small party, its a major party. But i think even if a Congress leader had said such a thing it would have caused uproar. Praising Jinnah in public is a major taboo in India.

Extreme Pace said:
The Great Khan please don't derail this thread, if you wanna discuss your ignorant views about Gandhi make a new thread for that.

lol...im just repeating what Jinnah said about Gandhi..and why is it wrong to mention this in this thread? facts are facts..

The subcontinent was divided due to the intransigence of the congress and Nehru and Gandhi's insistance on a Constituent assembly..we Paksitani's should stop benidng over and accepting Richard Attenboroughs account of Gandhi and do some original research like Jaswant has.

As for Jaswant singh, all I can say is good on him. If the Fascists in the BJP cant handle it well maybe it just shows their true colours.

Im sick and tired of young Pakistanis adverse to questioning the Hindu majority role during partition!

Jaswant Singh. Full respect to the man. Stood up for the truth and his convictions without any fear of his own self interests or consequences.

All credit to Jaswant Singh. Advani praised Jinnah in 2005 and J Singh backed him and now advani has betrayed him.

NDTV coverage is excellent on this. Very fair and balanced. Gujarat has banned his book- newsreader was saying go buy the book if u like free speech.

nikred said:
Well you are talking as if he has been executed. If anything you are actually complimenting India's free speech and democracy. :|

No, he was commenting on the consequences of using the free speech.

BJP owes their existence to Jinnah.

No Pak/India separation ... no animosity between Hindus and Muslims and their would be no far right extremists on either side.

kashif77 said:

No Pak/India separation ... no animosity between Hindus and Muslims and their would be no far right extremists on either side.
OH REALLY!?

I thought democracy was to respect difference rather than to exploit them...?

whats your answer to this?

kashif77 said:

So you think there is animosity between Hindus and Muslims only because of Pak/India separation? This is one really stupid argument.

kashif77 said:

Uh no, the BJP truly emerged as an opposition party when Indira Gandhi imposed the state of Emergency. At first, it was one party among a coalition that was largely composed of leftist parties.

As for Jaswant Singh, I don't see why the BJP should have expelled him. He places much of the blame on Congress and the Gandhi/Nehru duo. You don't like them. The Hindu right doesn't like them. Don't be too happy, it just so happens that you have a common enemy in this respect.

NEW DELHI: Former Indian foreign minister Jaswant Singh was expelled by his rightwing Hindu Bharatiya Janata Party for praising Mohammad Ali Jinnah while the country’s ruling Congress party also censured his book on the Quaid-i-Azam, leaving little to choose between the country’s two main political groups over an issue that is fast becoming a subject of heated debate.

‘After 30 years, I’ve been sacked over a book,’ Mr Singh told journalists after the Bharatiya Janata Party chief Rajnath Singh said he was expelled from the primary membership of the party he had helped found in 1980. The announcement came in Shimla where Mr Singh had gone to attend the BJP’s brainstorming meeting.

He tried to stay stoic, but Mr Singh broke down more than once while addressing the media in Shimla.

He said his main concern was that he was not informed personally about the decision to sack him.

‘I received a call this morning from the president of the BJP that I should absent myself from the meeting, because he said tempers were running high or words to that effect. I told him that I will go back to Delhi, but he said ‘don’t go back I will call you’.

The BJP says he has been expelled because his book released on Monday glorifies the Quaid and criticises Sardar Patel for the 1947 partition.

‘I thought this book would set Pakistan on fire. But it is troubling India,’ Mr Singh said.

‘I have committed no sin...none whatsoever...against India.’

After this, he broke down in tears, and then paused to collect himself.

NDTV said that BJP leader Lal Kishan Advani supported the decision to sack Mr Singh. Mr Advani himself created controversy when, four years ago, he described Mr Jinnah as a secular leader.

Mr Singh said he sent a copy in English and Hindi to Mr Advani and said: ‘There ought not to be selectivity when discussing dissent.’

Reacting to that, BJP leader Ravi Shankar Prasad said: ‘L. K. Advani’s case is different. Advani never said Sardal Patel was responsible for partition. Jaswant Singh defied the party constitution and core.’

In Gujarat, Chief Minister Narendra Modi’s government on Wednesday banned the book alleging it defamed the image of Vallabhai Patel.

http://www.dawn.com/wps/wcm/connect...els-jaswant-singh-for-praising-jinnah--il--08

pal said:
Uh no, the BJP truly emerged as an opposition party when Indira Gandhi imposed the state of Emergency. At first, it was one party among a coalition that was largely composed of leftist parties.

You mean RSS, which did have a huge hand in maintaining the fight against the emergency?
BJP was founded 1980 from the BJS.

BJS was a part of the Janta Party which came into power after the emergency.

It is well known that the BJP,though much moderate, is the political wing of RSS.

Of course freedom of speech does not mean that you are spared the consequences of your speech. It only states that the government will not prosecute you.
In school you have the right to call your teacher an idiot but it does not mean you will not get punished.

This book will now become a best seller :D

damn haterss BJP..just can't help see a great person being complimented..well how would they know about that..no one compliments them..they probably felt lonely lol..and I thought India had "freedom of speech" which is essential for democracy..shows a lot by the above mentioned articles..

www.geo.tv

Modi bans Jaswant book on Jinnah

AHMEDABAD: In a double blow for expelled BJP leader Jaswant Singh, Gujarat government tonight banned his controversial book on Jinnah alleging it is an attempt to defame the image of the country's first Home Minister Vallabhbhai Patel by "questioning his patrioric spirit".

"Jaswant Singh's book questions role of Sardar Patel during the partition of India as well as his patriotic spirit.

This is an attempt to tarnish the image of Patel who is considered the architect of modern united India," a statement issued by the Narendra Modi's government said.

"It is a bid to defame Patel by distorting historical facts," it charged.

"So, the state government has decided to ban the book with immediate effect for wider public interest," it said.

"As per the ban, there cannot be sale, distribution or publication of the book in the state," it said.

Pathetic stuff from the BJP and it is atrocious to ban a book in a state just because you dont agree with it. Only a fool like Modi could do this :)

As far as people questioning Indias democracy, note that only a party has expelled its member (like a company sacking its own employee for anti company acts). The Indian Government or constitution hasn't put him behind bars or asked for an explanation. There you go for freedom of speech. And all of Indian media agree that the BJP has gone overboard in its censure. It is a different matter whether they agree to Jaswant or not, but they all agree that his opinion should have been respected.

Fair enough?

Last edited:
dani2k said:
Pathetic stuff from the BJP and it is atrocious to ban a book in a state just because you dont agree with it. Only a fool like Modi could do this :)
This is not the first time a book has been banned in India. Salman Rushdie's Satanic Verses comes to mind.
There is also a biography of Nehru by his personal assistant which was banned by the Congress govt under Indira Gandhi.
A really funny one is that in 2006 Punjab became the first state government to ban the movie Da Vinci Code because it hurt the sentiments of Christians. This banning of books and movies has being going on since forever, so its not about Modi or BJP.

I don't think that was the right way to go about - if it was Congress that did it earlier, pathetic stuff from them too!

I am curious to get the views from PPers on the ban of Satanic verses..

And regarding Davinci code, the movie was released everywhere else with a note that it is just a work of fiction and there were no violent protests against if at all.

Last edited:
dani2k said:
I don't think that was the right way to go about - if it was Congress that did it earlier, pathetic stuff from them too!

I am curious to get the views from PPers on the ban of Satanic verses..

And regarding Davinci code, the movie was released everywhere else with a note that it is just a work of fiction and there were no violent protests against if at all.
The movie Da Vinci Code was banned in Punjab
Punjab ban for Da Vinci Code film
"Chief Minister Amarinder Singh told the BBC that he ordered the ban following an appeal by leaders of Punjab's minority Roman Catholic community. "
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/5017498.stm
Another Discovery Channel documentary "Lost tomb of Jesus" was not telecast in India because of protests by Christians - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JaMuvV2le2I

^^ Thanks for the new bit of info mate. Will check this out at home :)

I don't necessarily agree to it. If you have truth on your side, it will prevail no matter what. I will show my displeasure by protesting in non violent means and then leave it. But I am all for debates and accepting another person's opinion even though I dont necessarily agree with it.

And I am a Christian :)

dani2k said:
I don't necessarily agree to it. If you have truth on your side, it will prevail no matter what. I will show my displeasure by protesting in non violent means and then leave it. But I am all for debates and accepting another person's opinion even though I dont necessarily agree with it.

That´s the way it should be:19:!

A good read (surprisingly) from rediff - to know a bit about Jinnah and the incidents that led to partition

http://news.rediff.com/special/2009/aug/20/almost-every-muslim-was-with-gandhi-not-jinnah.htm

Akbar is a well known and respected columnist in India. I like this quote from him
"History might be better understood if we did not treat it as a heroes-and-villains movie. Life is more complex than that."

Disregard the title - that is purely for sensationalizing. Read the article. You will not regret it.

Last edited:
Thanks mate. To be honest it cleared my views on Jinnah quite a bit too :)

thanks for posting dani2k.

the more i read about Mohammad Ali Jinnah, the more i feel that he was too good for the people of Subcontinent (Pakistan, India and Bangladesh).

Here is another example of freedom of speech in a free democratic country.

Modi bans Jaswant Singh's book in Gujarat

Ahmedabad, Aug 20 : Narendra Modi-led BJP government in Gujarat has banned with immediate effect expelled party leader Jaswant Singh's newly published book 'Jinnah- India, Partition, Independence' on the ground that it tarnished the image of Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel, the architect of modern India's unification.

The state government issued a notification last night banning distribution, sale and publishing of the book which reportedly questioned the role and patriotism of the son of Gujarat.

''The book presents incorrect historical facts about partition,'' an official release said.

Sardar Patel is held in high esteem across the state.

Coincidently, Mr Modi is presently in Shimla attending the BJP's 'Chintan Baithak' to postmortem its electoral setback.

The book was banned on the day Mr Singh was expelled from BJP for penning the book holding Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru and Sardar Patel responsible for partition.
http://www.newkerala.com/nkfullnews-1-96171.html

Jaswant Singh slams Modi over ban on his book in Gujarat
Agencies
New Delhi, August 20, 2009
First Published: 09:09 IST(20/8/2009)
Last Updated: 12:13 IST(20/8/2009)

Criticising a ban imposed on his book by Gujarat government, expelled BJP leader Jaswant Singh on Thursday said it amounted to "banning thinking" and likened the step to the one taken against noted author Salman Rushdie for
his controversial work 'Satanic Verses'.

"I am greatly saddened by it," Singh told reporters on the Gujarat government's decision to ban his book "Jinnah--India, Partition, Independence".

"The day we start banning books, we are banning thinking," said Singh, who was expelled by BJP for the book in
which he has praised the Pakistan founder M A Jinnah.

He said the step taken by Gujarat government was "another example of (action taken against) Salman Rushdie and
Satanic Verses" which was banned for its controversial contents on Islam.

Asked to comment on BJP's contention that he had been expelled for his uncharitable comments in the book against
Sardar Patel and that his views on Jinnah were different from those of LK Advani, he said, "Let me understand why (I was
expelled). Nobody has told me".

On his continuance as MP from Darjeeling, he said he got a telephonic call from his constituency that the people
there wanted him to continue as their representative in Lok Sabha.

Gujarat government last night banned Jaswant's book on Jinnah alleging it was an attempt to defame the image of the
country's first Home Minister Vallabhbhai Patel by "questioning his patrioric spirit".

"Jaswant Singh's book questions role of Sardar Patel during the partition of India as well as his patriotic spirit.
This is an attempt to tarnish the image of Patel who is considered the architect of modern united India," a statement
issued by the state government said.

"It is a bid to defame Patel by distorting historical facts," it charged. "So, the state government has decided to ban the book with immediate effect for wider public interest," it said.

"As per the ban, there cannot be sale, distribution or publication of the book in the state," it said.
http://www.hindustantimes.com/homep...ook-in-Gujarat/445210/H1-Article1-445125.aspx

Jaswant Singh's support for The Late Great Quaid-E-Azam

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQinYdqnbNU&feature=player_embedded

17 August 2009 a book titled Jinnah: India-Partition-Independence was released in which Jaswant Singh claimed Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru's centralised polity was responsible for partition.He was later expelled from the primary membership of BJP as a result of the ensuing controversy. In interviews with media he quoted BJP as narrow-minded and to have limited thought. His book was later banned in Gujarat. Singh said of the ban "The day we start banning books, we are banning thinking".

About the Book
Jinnah: India-Partition-Independence is a book written by Jaswant Singh, former Finance Minister of India, on Pakistan's founder Muhammad Ali Jinnah and the politics associated with the partition of British India. This is the first book written by an Indian politician on the life of Jinnah.

The book was released on 17 August 2009 and soon became the subject of controversy, subsequently leading to Singh's expulsion from the Bhartiya Janata Party (BJP). It contains controversial opinions of Singh, claiming that Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru's centralized policy was responsible for partition, and that Jinnah was portrayed as a demon by India for the partition. The book launch ceremony was held at Teen Murti Bhavan in the presence of only a couple of BJP members.

Response

Singh was expelled by the BJP after it was decided in a party meeting chaired by L.K. Advani on 19 August stating that they will not "compromise on matters of ideology or discipline". The government of Gujarat state banned the book for allegedly having defamatory references towards India's first home minister Vallabhbhai Patel.However, Gujarat lifted the ban on September 4, 2009 after a court struck it down. The book received commendation from Mark Tully, Meghnad Desai, Ram Jethmalani, Namwar Singh and Hameed Haroon, who believe that Jinnah's role needed to be reassessed.

Most of the people are already aware of these facts but I believe that it is worth sharing, these controversies exposes the true face of BJP, Quaid E Azam is a great leader it is said that even his enemies praised him. His idea was to separate Muslims from India so that they can have a say in the Government, but the Indians insisted that first lets be separate from British & then we will discuss about this but Jinnah did not wanted to delay the separation because of his health and he wanted to see a separate nation before his death plus he was also aware that Congress is using a tactic & they will never separate the Muslims once British leaves India, Kashmir is an example as it was delayed for separation due to some legal formalities & yet to be resolved.

Several leaders including Prime Minister Narendra Modi expressed their condolences and remembered the contributions of former Cabinet minister Jaswant Singh who passed away in the national capital on Sunday.

PM Modi tweeted, “Jaswant Singh Ji will be remembered for his unique perspective on matters of politics and society. He also contributed to the strengthening of the BJP.”

Modi further recalled Singh’s stints as the External Affairs and Finance Minister during the tenure of former Atal Bihari Vajpayee led NDA government saying, “Jaswant Singh Ji served our nation diligently, first as a soldier and later during his long association with politics. During Atal Ji’s Government, he handled crucial portfolios and left a strong mark in the worlds of finance, defence and external affairs. Saddened by his demise.”

Union Defence Minister Rajnath Singh condoled the death of the veteran leader, saying he “would be remembered for his intellectual capabilities and stellar record in service to the nation.” “He also played a key role in strengthening the BJP in Rajasthan,” he added.

Union Minister Ravi Shankar Prasad in a tweet said: “sad to learn about the demise of Jaswant Singh Ji. He was a distinguished Finance & External Affairs Minister in the Government of Atal Ji. My condolences to his family members.”

Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal taking to Twitter expressed his grief over the incident and said that Singh “worked for the country all his life, whether inside the govt or outside.”

Emphasising on Jaswant Singh’s service in both politics and the Indian Armed Forces, Tripura Chief Minister Biplab Kumar Deb condoled Singh’s death.

West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee expressed her condolences and said that she was “saddened at the passing away of former Defence Minister and one of India’s longest-serving parliamentarians.”

Congress MP Shashi Tharoor said Singh’s contributions to “defining and defending the Indian polity were substantial, his decency and courtliness were legendary” as he expressed his condolences.

Jaswant Singh passed away at 6:55 am this morning after a cardiac arrest at the Army Hospital (R&R) where he was being treated for Sepsis with Multiple Organ Dysfunction Syndrome, hospital authorities said.

https://indianexpress.com/article/i...-condole-the-demise-of-jaswant-singh-6617602/

Last edited:
A sad end (fell in his house, banged his head and fell into a 6+ year coma) to a remarkable life - an Army Major, founding member of the BJP, cabinet minister numerous time over.

Ironically, some of the people who are praising him on Twitter today were the same people who criticised him for the whole Jinnah episode some years back - hypocrites.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">During the controversy surrounding his Jinnah book, Singh told Dawn TV in an interview that he wanted to work for expanding the constituency of peace between the three nations — India, Pakistan and Bangladesh — as they were “born from the same womb”<a href="https://t.co/sLWAvf2r2p">https://t.co/sLWAvf2r2p</a></p>— Dawn.com (@dawn_com) <a href="https://twitter.com/dawn_com/status/1310435005718355969?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">September 28, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

A sad end (fell in his house, banged his head and fell into a 6+ year coma) to a remarkable life - an Army Major, founding member of the BJP, cabinet minister numerous time over.

Ironically, some of the people who are praising him on Twitter today were the same people who criticised him for the whole Jinnah episode some years back - hypocrites.

Praising someone on his death is not hypocrisy. it is decency. and indians are known for post humous veneration and canonisation, with mohandas being the biggest beneficiary.

Have read his book. He doesn't praise Q-e-A, in fact disagrees with him, just that he doesn't make him out to be a villain like most indian durbari historians. Also he doesn't believe in TNT and considers Islamic culture as a part of the conglomerate indian culture.

Praising someone on his death is not hypocrisy. it is decency. and indians are known for post humous veneration and canonisation, with mohandas being the biggest beneficiary.

Have read his book. He doesn't praise Q-e-A, in fact disagrees with him, just that he doesn't make him out to be a villain like most indian durbari historians. Also he doesn't believe in TNT and considers Islamic culture as a part of the conglomerate indian culture.

His book was talk of the town in those days in Pakistan. I remember going through his book in some library and could not read it past initial few pages due to his biased views regarding TNT and Jinnah which was rather disappointing.

It is surprising that he lost BJP membership and was praised in Pakistan on the basis of this book.

Back