Boxing Thread

I agree he was still in the fight and could have knocked Price out potentially but either he did that in the heat of the moment being on such a stage for the first time or it was pre-meditated in the sense of him looking for a way out given that he did it about four times. But I think we need consistency regarding how we deal with him, Bellew called for a life ban but always does a bhangra over his friend Chisora who has bitten a fighter in the past etc

Smith vs Eggington should never have been made, it was horrifying to watch because you just knew stylistically it was going to be a barbaric execution and I thank God that Smith was merciful, while he punished Eggington he didn't completely load up and kept telling the ref Sam can't exactly see. Trust Eddie to have booked that. The fight between Fowler and Fitzgerald was great domestic dust up and FOTY candidate

Hopefully for him he continues to fight after a shortish ban. Btw must be first a boxer walking out to Nusrat Qawali.

Yep that was brutal but it's Eddie Hearn for you.

Lomachenko vs Anthony Crolla next week. Will be interesting to see how Crolla does against one of the best P4P fighters out there. I think it's on Sky.

Hopefully for him he continues to fight after a shortish ban. Btw must be first a boxer walking out to Nusrat Qawali.

Yep that was brutal but it's Eddie Hearn for you.

Lomachenko vs Anthony Crolla next week. Will be interesting to see how Crolla does against one of the best P4P fighters out there. I think it's on Sky.

That was pretty cool, I thought this dude is legit aha he is not hear to play, a shame really because while I don't agree with his behaviour the man is being extensively vilified.

I was so hoping that fight would be in the UK, it's one of those fights which are designed to show each and every strength which Lomachenko and that will make for an exciting watch even if it is one sided; unfortunately for Crolla, it's going to be a long long night. Will be staying up for this one.

Britain's Amir Khan says he will live out a dream in the "last chapter" of his career when he challenges Terence Crawford at New York's Madison Square Garden.

American WBO world welterweight champion Crawford - one of boxing's most decorated names - is a 1-12 favourite with bookmakers for Saturday's bout, to be broadcast on BBC Radio 5 Live.

"A win here would top everything," Khan said. "Now I'm reaching for something no-one really expected me to reach."

He added: "I remember when the legends fought at Madison Square Garden.

"I'd watch fight previews from here over and over. I'm living that now. I want to win this so badly now just to prove a point."

Crawford's perfect 34-fight record has seen him capture world titles in three weight classes, including holding all four belts to become an undisputed champion at super-lightweight in 2017.

BBC Sport commentator Mike Costello says Crawford, 31, has exuded "an aura" in fight week.

Khan has received praise in some quarters for taking on Crawford when a fixture against British rival Kell Brook looked set to offer a healthy pay day late in a career which took off with a 2004 Olympic silver medal.

"I sometimes forget how long I have been doing this for," 32-year-old Khan told 5 Live Boxing.

"There's no added pressure now. I have told people how I feel. I don't want to be in the game too long, hitting 35. I always wanted to retire young.

"Maybe my body will only let me go so long. I get aches and pains. My body doesn't recover as quickly as it did when I was young and you start seeing these things in your body.

"So I feel like it's the last chapter. I want to enjoy my life with my family, not think about boxing, and eat what I want."

Khan's last world-title shot saw him knocked out by Saul 'Canelo' Alvarez in 2016. The former super-lightweight champion had stepped up to middleweight to face the classy Mexican but questions over the durability of his chin arrived quickly nonetheless.

Khan's punch resistance has often been a point of contention and his trainer Virgil Hunter has spoken about needing to "re-programme" him in order to bolster his concentration levels and stave of the threat of taking heavy shots.

Costello said: "There are these brief moments where he seems to freeze and lose concentration. They are only brief moments but at the highest level you haven't got moments against the likes of Canelo, Danny Garcia and certainly Crawford.

"I have been watching back Crawford's 12 world title fights. If he fights an orthodox fighter, he starts a fight orthodox. If he fights a southpaw, he starts southpaw and then switches late in the round. One of the keys will be how Khan deals with a switch hitter."

Hall of fame trainer Freddie Roach, who used to work with Khan, has spoken of his need to focus on stealing points rather than entering "a slugfest" with the champion.

Radio 5 Live analyst Steve Bunce added: "It's like having 12 separate fights in one fight. Get through a round, win it and start again.

"What if Amir can have that one final day where he doesn't use his heart but uses his head - using his jab, speed and doesn't get too involved?

"Everyone seems to understand how Amir Khan can win but it's very different to saying he will win."

British promoter Frank Warren: "It's a tough, tough fight for Amir but that has never bothered him, has it? He's always been happy to get in there with the best.

"He has fast hands and great reflexes. His problem is sometimes he's a bit too brave for his own good. Its all about him maintaining a discipline and a focus.

"I hope he wins it on Saturday. My heart is for him but my head says it will be a bridge too far."

British trainer Dave Coldwell: "I was cut man in the corner when Crawford fought Ricky Burns. You can watch what you want on TV but when you're that close, you appreciate how good they are and the things that don't come across on television.

"I would lean to a Crawford stoppage later on, once he's figured him out."

Former two-weight world champion Paulie Malignaggi, who will be ringside with Radio 5 Live: "It's all about what Amir has left in the legs. If he can get in and out with that style, then he can cause Crawford problems."

Former world cruiserweight champion Tony Bellew: "This would be an incredible win for British boxing and would breathe so much fire into Amir's career, but, like the Canelo fight, this could just be a step too far.

"It wouldn't surprise me if Amir has his moments in the fight, but I just think Crawford will be a little too good."

https://www.bbc.com/sport/boxing/47973949

Britain's Amir Khan says he will live out a dream in the "last chapter" of his career when he challenges Terence Crawford at New York's Madison Square Garden.

American WBO world welterweight champion Crawford - one of boxing's most decorated names - is a 1-12 favourite with bookmakers for Saturday's bout, to be broadcast on BBC Radio 5 Live.

"A win here would top everything," Khan said. "Now I'm reaching for something no-one really expected me to reach."

"I'd watch fight previews from here over and over. I'm living that now. I want to win this so badly now just to prove a point."

Crawford's perfect 34-fight record has seen him capture world titles in three weight classes, including holding all four belts to become an undisputed champion at super-lightweight in 2017.

BBC Sport commentator Mike Costello says Crawford, 31, has exuded "an aura" in fight week.

Khan has received praise in some quarters for taking on Crawford when a fixture against British rival Kell Brook looked set to offer a healthy pay day late in a career which took off with a 2004 Olympic silver medal.

"I sometimes forget how long I have been doing this for," 32-year-old Khan told 5 Live Boxing.

"There's no added pressure now. I have told people how I feel. I don't want to be in the game too long, hitting 35. I always wanted to retire young.

"Maybe my body will only let me go so long. I get aches and pains. My body doesn't recover as quickly as it did when I was young and you start seeing these things in your body.

"So I feel like it's the last chapter. I want to enjoy my life with my family, not think about boxing, and eat what I want."

Khan's last world-title shot saw him knocked out by Saul 'Canelo' Alvarez in 2016. The former super-lightweight champion had stepped up to middleweight to face the classy Mexican but questions over the durability of his chin arrived quickly nonetheless.

Khan's punch resistance has often been a point of contention and his trainer Virgil Hunter has spoken about needing to "re-programme" him in order to bolster his concentration levels and stave of the threat of taking heavy shots.

Costello said: "There are these brief moments where he seems to freeze and lose concentration. They are only brief moments but at the highest level you haven't got moments against the likes of Canelo, Danny Garcia and certainly Crawford.

"I have been watching back Crawford's 12 world title fights. If he fights an orthodox fighter, he starts a fight orthodox. If he fights a southpaw, he starts southpaw and then switches late in the round. One of the keys will be how Khan deals with a switch hitter."

Hall of fame trainer Freddie Roach, who used to work with Khan, has spoken of his need to focus on stealing points rather than entering "a slugfest" with the champion.

Radio 5 Live analyst Steve Bunce added: "It's like having 12 separate fights in one fight. Get through a round, win it and start again.

"What if Amir can have that one final day where he doesn't use his heart but uses his head - using his jab, speed and doesn't get too involved?

"Everyone seems to understand how Amir Khan can win but it's very different to saying he will win."

British promoter Frank Warren: "It's a tough, tough fight for Amir but that has never bothered him, has it? He's always been happy to get in there with the best.

"He has fast hands and great reflexes. His problem is sometimes he's a bit too brave for his own good. Its all about him maintaining a discipline and a focus.

"I hope he wins it on Saturday. My heart is for him but my head says it will be a bridge too far."

British trainer Dave Coldwell: "I was cut man in the corner when Crawford fought Ricky Burns. You can watch what you want on TV but when you're that close, you appreciate how good they are and the things that don't come across on television.

Former two-weight world champion Paulie Malignaggi, who will be ringside with Radio 5 Live: "It's all about what Amir has left in the legs. If he can get in and out with that style, then he can cause Crawford problems."

Former world cruiserweight champion Tony Bellew: "This would be an incredible win for British boxing and would breathe so much fire into Amir's career, but, like the Canelo fight, this could just be a step too far.

"It wouldn't surprise me if Amir has his moments in the fight, but I just think Crawford will be a little too good."

This fight tonight!

Jarrell Miller is being "nailed to the cross" over a failed drug test "because he is an African-American fighter", his promoter has claimed.

Sarah Fina, of Greg Cohen Promotions, said treatment of Miller differed to that suffered by other fighters.

Miller has apologised after an "adverse finding" saw his June fight against Britain's Anthony Joshua called off.

He was due to meet the IBF, WBA and WBO heavyweight champion Joshua, 29, at Madison Square Garden on 1 June.

The 30-year-old was denied a licence for the New York bout after analysis of a sample taken on 20 March.

Then after a second adverse finding was reported on Friday, the 30-year-old American admitted he had "messed up".

Some critics have since responded by saying Miller should now be banned for life.

"Firstly, I do not condone cheating whatsoever," Fina posted on social media.

"Am I upset and disappointed with Jarrell? Absolutely. What Jarrell has done is wrong 100%. But what I won't do is turn my back on him. People make bad choices in life.

"With all of that being said, it is hard for me not to think that he is being nailed to the cross because he is an African-American fighter."

She pointed out Mexican fighter Saul 'Canelo' Alvarez recently signed a $365m (£280m) multi-fight deal with streaming broadcaster DAZN, despite a six-month ban for failing two drug tests. He claimed to have eaten tainted meat.

"Even the very fighter that was asked to replace Miller, Luis Ortiz, tested for banned substances," Fina added.

Cuban Ortiz has been linked with taking Miller's place, though a replacement will not be named until next week.

The 40-year-old tested positive for banned substances in 2017 but avoided a ban because boxing chiefs found he took the drugs for high blood pressure.

Fina said she she had also suffered abuse over the issue for being Miller's promoter.

"I can't help but to think that a lot of that has to do with the fact that I am a woman in a male-dominated industry. This is not me playing the victim, but stating facts," she added.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/boxing/47998043

/\/\/\

Lol playing the race and gender card all at once.

Pathetic really he is making the black community look like crap to by saying that, he is being crucified for failing three frigging tests; this is what I love about VADA they don't mess about; at the same time am glad the card has been messed up considering how AJ and Hearns low balled Dillian Whyte and their gullible fans with the Wembley date in April pre-booked and all lmao all of these blokes are a bunch of dossers

Really can't wait for this! The most expected result is crawford KOs khan between round 4-6. However, I have an inkling that khan might win tonight, by KO early.

:)) Bet your house on it, I wish but that would be a minor miracle if it happened

God willing he triumphs but I expect a really terrible night for Amir, it could be the worst night of his career since his defeat to Prescott nearly 10 years ago

Delboy in the ring now, always value for money.

Knockout guaranteed in this fight ? [MENTION=46929]shaz619[/MENTION]

Delboy in the ring now, always value for money.

Knockout guaranteed in this fight ? [MENTION=46929]shaz619[/MENTION]

I was planning on reading quran and praying as it's shab e barat then catching the highlights if I managed to aha might make it back in time for the main event which is a joke really but am going to listen to this podcast instead:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p07704v5

Also, anything can happen in a Chisora fight mate below the world level!

I was planning on reading quran and praying as it's shab e barat then catching the highlights if I managed to aha might make it back in time for the main event which is a joke really but am going to listen to this podcast instead:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p07704v5

Also, anything can happen in a Chisora fight mate below the world level!

Haha yes, looks either fighter could be knocked out here. Yes it's not the best card but a a time pass lead up to the show in New York.

[MENTION=46929]shaz619[/MENTION], How much of Terrence Crawford had you heard of lets say six months ago?

[MENTION=46929]shaz619[/MENTION], How much of Terrence Crawford had you heard of lets say six months ago?

Crawford beat Ricky Burns in 2014 which is when most UK boxing fans became aware of him. He hasn't fought any real big names until now and at the lower weight divisions which dont get as much coverage. He also hasn't had the media love as Amir has seen.

In other news.

Derek Chisora wins by points in a pretty boring fight(by Delboy standards) but his opponent wasn't coming forward much.

Dave Allen looked average until a bodyshot put down Browne, who came for a payday imo.

Crawford beat Ricky Burns in 2014 which is when most UK boxing fans became aware of him. He hasn't fought any real big names until now and at the lower weight divisions which dont get as much coverage. He also hasn't had the media love as Amir has seen.

In other news.

Derek Chisora wins by points in a pretty boring fight(by Delboy standards) but his opponent wasn't coming forward much.

Dave Allen looked average until a bodyshot put down Browne, who came for a payday imo.

Rated 3rd in the world for Pound for Pound. So the chances that Amir will lose maybe in the 4th.

In other news.

if he hasnt fought any big names and has been in lower weight divisions then why is no one giving Amir a chance? Like literally no one is.

Considering this is supposedly crawford's first big fight and also that this is not his normal weight division, why is he runaway favorite?

I've been following him since he beat Prescott which was a long time ago, in terms of the last 6 months ? quiet a bit in Boxing circles as we have been eagerly waiting for his move to 147 after he had become the lineal, unified and undisputed champion between 135-140 lb. His last fight averaged 2+ million viewers on ESPN, but this his debut on PPV and there is an argument to be made that Amir is the bigger name which also makes him the perfect opponent for Crawford to get further mainstream exposure but he is widely regarded as the world's best P4P fighter in Boxing,

if he hasnt fought any big names and has been in lower weight divisions then why is no one giving Amir a chance? Like literally no one is.

Considering this is supposedly crawford's first big fight and also that this is not his normal weight division, why is he runaway favorite?

I think there are two reasons, firstly Amir has been out for nearly 3 years since his last big fight. Sure he has had a couple of fights since returning, the first was a knockout less than 60 seconds and in his last fight against a good durable opponent he did well but looked in average shape and was also poor in many of the rounds. If this was the Amir of 3/4 years ago the odds would be a lot closer, perhaps Amir favourite.

The bigger factor is Crawford is a complete boxer, can fight in any style and can have a tear up if needed. Extremely fit athlete and superb technican along with a strong desire and a perfect record so far makes him stong favourite. His opponents may not be the calibre of Amir's but they weren't bums and he schooled them.

They are not because of how exceptionally gifted Crawford is, he has a high in-ring IQ he's basically an elite level technician who you could be winning some rounds against but that's only because he is letting you while he takes a look and then makes surreal adjustments very swiftly before picking you apart, offensively and defensively he is sound, he can fight on the outside and inside, also has a very ruthless streak and at times tends to prolong his fights when he could be finishing them earlier because he just enjoys fighting so much. Styles make fights and I think for this reason Crawford is expected to pick Amir apart who has a gung-ho style and is in decline to, ? is can Amir match Crawford's IQ? I doubt it because he has never been the type of fighter to make those 2nd or 3rd adjustments to win a fight

Amir has fought better opposition but Crawford doesn't get enough credit for beating the likes of Diaz, Gamboa, Postal and Burns etc who were all very gifted. And he is rated based on his performances and skill which he has, there has been some decent opposition to contrary to what is said but for sure Amir fought some real beasts.

Just saw the Allen KO lol

Didn't even look like a hard punch, perhaps Brownes liver is already damaged so a tickle would have put him down. One thing for sure, he didn't want to get back up. Prob be Chisora v Allen next.

Didn't even look like a hard punch, perhaps Brownes liver is already damaged so a tickle would have put him down. One thing for sure, he didn't want to get back up. Prob be Chisora v Allen next.

I thought it might have been a dive lol but it was a decent counter, you're right he is pretty weak to the body. So many mouth watering match ups for Eddie to capitalise on from this, he could go Price / Allen, Allen / Whyte, Chisora / Allen, Chisora / Price all on PPV to :yk3

I thought it might have been a dive lol but it was a decent counter, you're right he is pretty weak to the body. So many mouth watering match ups for Eddie to capitalise on from this, he could go Price / Allen, Allen / Whyte, Chisora / Allen, Chisora / Price all on PPV to :yk3

haha easy work for Hearne

What may be much tougher is finding a credible opponent for Joshua. I have a feeling they wont want Dillian Whyte just yet but will prob go for Ortiz but is he even in any decent shape, not to mention he has failed drug tests himself.

A bit late but RIP Oliver Harrison :(

He was one hell of a trainer, he was very good at getting you to keep calm under severe pressure and excellent at making fighters make the transition to the pro ranks; always supported his fighters till the end.

Also, he is the only trainer AK never lost a fight with ;)

[MENTION=43583]KingKhanWC[/MENTION]

Julian Williams shocks Hurd to become the new unified world champion, had been following him closely over the past few years and saw he had tremendous skill and potential despite his defeat to Charlo however still was surprised by this and didn't expect it, still his loss to Charlo was in a title fight to be fair and he totally dominated Hurd here at his own game on the in-side, his balance and defence were key in setting up all the clean shots and Hurd took a severe beating, it wasn't close and he displayed one hell of a chin and a champions heart but Williams was just the superior fighter.

His trainer deserves tremendous credit, one of the reasons why I had became aware of Williams was because his trainer Stephen Edwards regularly posts on all boxing topics online; he has never fought before but is a boxing master-mind. He never intended to train any fighter and his relation with Williams sort of developed organically 10 years ago, never mind the improvements he made over the years the work from the corner was fantastic, so calm and collected; kept his fighter on his toes throughout even when well ahead.

Here are the highlights:

What a division, everyone expected that unification between Hurd and Charlo but both Harrison and Williams have ruined those plans lol

Harrison and Charlo have a rematch brewing and I see the winner taking on Williams who could be facing Charlo in a rematch but this time for the undisputed championship.

There is a rematch clause but I don't expect Hurd to action it and I don't think his team should either, I don't see him making any noticeable improvement, sometimes styles just make fights and there are certain fighters who just have your number. The judges scorecards are shocking and the commentary was biased to, I can't see anyone giving Hurd more then 2 rounds in that fight, I have him just 1 personally and that was close to; he just couldn't land anything clean even though he was throwing so many punches.

Very emotional Williams with him stating it's the month of Ramadan as well didn't know he was Muslim, did the sajda at the end. He has had quite the journey in life, his mom had substance abuse issues and he spent most his life in hostels for the homeless, then his mom passed away early in his life; faith can really help people in these situations and Boxing is a sport which just saves so many lives, people can say what they want but it adds to society rather then take away from it.

[MENTION=46929]shaz619[/MENTION]

Incredible fight, you cant ask for much more from two boxers giving their all. The crowd certainly got their moneys worth! Williams was very impressive, he must have landed at least 150 well timed and accurate punches and at least 70 odd power punches in this fight. Huge credit to Hurd for only being dropped once, the dude is tough.

It was so nice to see a boxer emotional, he must have worked his backside off in training camp to perform how he did. You could see how much it meant to him because of his difficult upbringing and how his faith gave him peace and confidence to achieve what he has just achieved. As you know bro, Boxing is a unique and special sport because it allow people from difficult backgrounds to reach the highs in life where other professions would reject the same individual. Growing up in tough environments does help them in the squared circle because you are required to be resilient and tough, no matter if you’re knocked down you will try to get back up.

RIP to Oliver Harrison, he was too young man. Harrison did some excellent work with a lot of boxers esp north of the country and I hope he isn’t forgotten for a long time to come. Also it was so sad to hear the death of Harold Lederman who died of cancer a few days ago. Watching HBO wont be the same anymore without his scorecards. I can’t recall a fight were I disagreed with Howard and his voice will be sadly missed.

On a more positive note Pacquiao and Thurman deal has been done for July 20th. Although Thurman wasn’t at his best in his last fight, he is a superb fighter but I will always give Manny at least 50% chance against anyone until he retires such is his boxing ability, experience and legendry status.

if you haven't seen Inoue then he's worth a watch this weekend...the guy is incredible...his power imo is the best p4p at present...his body punching is nasty...

[MENTION=29064]shaz[/MENTION]169 [MENTION=133972]shaykh[/MENTION]
Wilder v Dominic Breazeale tonight.

Breazeale looks in very good condition. I have a feeling this could be a classic heavyweight contest with both fighters getting hurt throughout the fight.

[MENTION=46929]shaz619[/MENTION]

Incredible fight, you cant ask for much more from two boxers giving their all. The crowd certainly got their moneys worth! Williams was very impressive, he must have landed at least 150 well timed and accurate punches and at least 70 odd power punches in this fight. Huge credit to Hurd for only being dropped once, the dude is tough.

It was so nice to see a boxer emotional, he must have worked his backside off in training camp to perform how he did. You could see how much it meant to him because of his difficult upbringing and how his faith gave him peace and confidence to achieve what he has just achieved. As you know bro, Boxing is a unique and special sport because it allow people from difficult backgrounds to reach the highs in life where other professions would reject the same individual. Growing up in tough environments does help them in the squared circle because you are required to be resilient and tough, no matter if you’re knocked down you will try to get back up.

RIP to Oliver Harrison, he was too young man. Harrison did some excellent work with a lot of boxers esp north of the country and I hope he isn’t forgotten for a long time to come. Also it was so sad to hear the death of Harold Lederman who died of cancer a few days ago. Watching HBO wont be the same anymore without his scorecards. I can’t recall a fight were I disagreed with Howard and his voice will be sadly missed.

On a more positive note Pacquiao and Thurman deal has been done for July 20th. Although Thurman wasn’t at his best in his last fight, he is a superb fighter but I will always give Manny at least 50% chance against anyone until he retires such is his boxing ability, experience and legendry status.

Hurd showed incredible heart and determination, kept at it to but I felt this fight was very one sided going by all the clean punches which Williams was landing imo, maybe my perception of it is a little different to others given that I didn't see this live and watched it knowing the result, forgot it was on lol but I felt it was quite one sided, Williams just broke him down spectacularly on the in-side at his own game. Hurd needs to go back to the drawing board and work on utilising his length so much better with that reach. But man credit to Williams for the fortitude he showed after all he had been through. Both Harrison and Lederman will be missed so much for different reasons, very sad news; Harrison funeral drew a huge crowd and so many folk from Boxing paid beautiful tributes, he helped his community so much and was more then just a trainer for the locals and his fighters.

That's a terrific fight mate! I lean towards Thurman but it is a genuine 50/50 imo , Thurman didn't look his best in the last fight but that was due to the in-activity, he will back to his best; Manny is old and past his peak but a personified ATG who is coming off a fiery win over Broner where he showed the hunger and passion / flame of old still burns deep inside. It could potentially be FOTY and my most anticipated fight so far this year.

[MENTION=29064]shaz[/MENTION]169 [MENTION=133972]shaykh[/MENTION]
Wilder v Dominic Breazeale tonight.

Breazeale looks in very good condition. I have a feeling this could be a classic heavyweight contest with both fighters getting hurt throughout the fight.

Both guys have terrible defence, Brezeale doesn't have a bad bad chin he can take a few but the defence is awful; and for this I agree with you mate, it could make for a great fight while it lasts. Deciding if I should stay up for it, I do have NOW TV the day pass, was watching the WBSS Josh Taylor is the new world champion, terrific performance in a great fight and the monster showed his power once more in devastating fashion, he really is a mini mike tyson, Rodriguez was no mug at all

if you haven't seen Inoue then he's worth a watch this weekend...the guy is incredible...his power imo is the best p4p at present...his body punching is nasty...

I have to agree, despite climbing up the classes he remains so powerful; P4P he is the biggest puncher and deserves to be ranked higher in the P4P rankings in my view. He won Yamanaka's Ring Magazine belt today, Nery was rightfully stripped off it after those two W's which should be NC's on his record; it would give me great joy to see Naoya run through him. It's just a damn shame Tete had to pull out, otherwise I doubt Donaire would be in the final; plus he is arguably the only guy capable of perhaps giving the monster a fight.

Terrific performance from BJS to become a 2-weight world champion, he coasted his way to a points win and looked good but I just don't see GGG or Canelo wanting to face him any time soon sadly. But he has the WBO strap at SMW and a fight with Smith is likely, that could finally get him the adulation he deserves but it's not an easy fight for him, Smith is the bigger man and he utilises his physical attributes so well, Billy is very evasive and would need to be 100% focused for every second. I actually see Smith as a bigger test for him then GGG, Canelo is arguably tougher given how polished he has become in recent times.

I have to agree, despite climbing up the classes he remains so powerful; P4P he is the biggest puncher and deserves to be ranked higher in the P4P rankings in my view. He won Yamanaka's Ring Magazine belt today, Nery was rightfully stripped off it after those two W's which should be NC's on his record; it would give me great joy to see Naoya run through him. It's just a damn shame Tete had to pull out, otherwise I doubt Donaire would be in the final; plus he is arguably the only guy capable of perhaps giving the monster a fight.

His body punching...

Nery has been rocked by much lesser opponents than Inoue...I think much like everyone else Nery will get blasted within a couple rounds...Tete too despite being a problem for most just doesn't strike me as someone who can hang with Inoue...

What i'm wondering about Inoue is just what his ceiling is...how many weight classes can he go up...his power is insane for his weight...

3 weight class champion now...

One the subject of power thats something that Wilder of course has in abundance...he is great to watch isnt he...can be outboxed, can be hurt but he has that equaliser...

His body punching...

Nery has been rocked by much lesser opponents than Inoue...I think much like everyone else Nery will get blasted within a couple rounds...Tete too despite being a problem for most just doesn't strike me as someone who can hang with Inoue...

What i'm wondering about Inoue is just what his ceiling is...how many weight classes can he go up...his power is insane for his weight...

3 weight class champion now...

One the subject of power thats something that Wilder of course has in abundance...he is great to watch isnt he...can be outboxed, can be hurt but he has that equaliser...

I know, but I just want to see him get smashed to pieces I just don't like the fella after what he did to Yamanaka who had been a fav of mine at the lower classes for a long time. He is just 26 and is a 3 weight world champion, I see him putting on more muscle and as he moves up in weight needs someone like an Alex Ariza behind him, naturally he will get bigger for sure; but what is his ceiling? there have been rare occasions in history where the smaller guys like a Manny have successfully made the transition up the classes, but you'd have to think he would have success at 122 and perhaps 126 lb as well, anything beyond that would be extremely special, wouldn't say it's impossible but realistically speaking I can see him being a 5 weight world champion, what do you think? Yes I can't see anyone beating him at bantam at the moment, perhaps maybe not even at Junior Feathweight :yk3 a match up with Rigo would be spicy

Haven't watched the Wilder fight, I was hoping to avoid spoilers and see it on sky around 4pm but got a stupid update on my phone that he won :facepalm: I am aware it was very devastating but will give my thoughts once I watch it

The monster is not only a fantastic power puncher but he is so sound defensively as well and very accurate, I have also noticed how he feints with his power lol makes you feel as if you can take it, then makes you pay when you overcommit

The monster is not only a fantastic power puncher but he is so sound defensively as well and very accurate, I have also noticed how he feints with his power lol makes you feel as if you can take it, then makes you pay when you overcommit

One example I can think of is Lemieux...he would actually be more devastating if he actually varied his power more...tasting different levels of power makes the bomb that much more impactful...this is what I like about Inoue too...isnt just throwing bombs...

And yeah one thing about being a puncher is ppl forget how good your defence is...prime Tyson comes to mind...

He is my favourite fighter at the moment...and feeling you on Nery...guy is **** and it would be nice to see him get KO'ed...

I'd like to see Inoue become a Pac...he's got a fan friendly style...and the thing about being class at a small weight is you invariably dont become an international star ...

He's got reach and height advantages over say Gary Russell and Frampton for example...height and reach actually are the same as Manny's...

McDonnell weighed 144 on fight night and got iced...

Its all speculation and its early days but i can see this guy going far...his power would stop welters...

One example I can think of is Lemieux...he would actually be more devastating if he actually varied his power more...tasting different levels of power makes the bomb that much more impactful...this is what I like about Inoue too...isnt just throwing bombs...

And yeah one thing about being a puncher is ppl forget how good your defence is...prime Tyson comes to mind...

He is my favourite fighter at the moment...and feeling you on Nery...guy is **** and it would be nice to see him get KO'ed...

I'd like to see Inoue become a Pac...he's got a fan friendly style...and the thing about being class at a small weight is you invariably dont become an international star ...

He's got reach and height advantages over say Gary Russell and Frampton for example...height and reach actually are the same as Manny's...

McDonnell weighed 144 on fight night and got iced...

Its all speculation and its early days but i can see this guy going far...his power would stop welters...

When you mentioned what is his ceiling in the previous post I actually started to compare his physical attributes to some of the welters out there lol but didn't want to go that far because it might be seen as far fetched but if you're being optimistic with his talent and skill you'd potentially envision him having success at 140 and 147 at his ultimate peak, but for now I am confident he can do well at junior feather and feather. Very few are able to utilise their power in such fashion. Nas had quite the punch to for a tiny guy, as well as he did I feel he could have done even better.

I don't want to overlook Donaire at the moment because he is a seasoned vet and will come with a game plan, am hoping he can make a fist of it; perhaps it will tell us more about the monster to but going by what we have seen it would be surprising to see the former P4P champ go past 6, it would be an achievement.

Just watched the Wilder KO, absolutely brutal; I can't blame Hearns for protecting AJ

[MENTION=133972]shaykh[/MENTION] Going back to that power, Inoue has 48 KO's out of his 75 wins in the amateurs to :irfan

That Wilder fight didn't last long, a lot of trash talking for nothing it seems. We need the rematch with Fury, so Fury can finally beat him and not get robbed hopefully!

So thoughts on this weekends boxing?...

Ruiz Jr V Joshua

I actually quite like Ruiz...he's got fast hands...and he just fights better than he looks...he's better than Miller and I thought he beat Parker when they fought...he's a better opponent than Miller...

He's gonna have to get on the inside and that's probably where he will find one of Joshua's uppercuts...this is much better than the Brezeale fight...i just hope Ian John Lewis isnt ref ;) ...

Others

The card is alright...decent step up for Callum Smith...and Coyle/Algieri should be fun to watch...

So thoughts on this weekends boxing?...

Ruiz Jr V Joshua

I actually quite like Ruiz...he's got fast hands...and he just fights better than he looks...he's better than Miller and I thought he beat Parker when they fought...he's a better opponent than Miller...

He's gonna have to get on the inside and that's probably where he will find one of Joshua's uppercuts...this is much better than the Brezeale fight...i just hope Ian John Lewis isnt ref ;) ...

Others

The card is alright...decent step up for Callum Smith...and Coyle/Algieri should be fun to watch...

He's not a bad opponent but even though he fought like a few months ago, he was inactive before that for a while and doesn't have a world title prep level camp behind him like Joshua; I question his fitness and Joshua is a huge favourite. I may see Ruiz potentially cause some issues early on maybe a round or 2 but would not be shocked if he is taken out very quick, the fight doesn't appeal to me if am honest and am sick of all these boring titles defences from AJ, I'd take a rematch with Whyte instead considering he wont be facing Fury or Wilder any time soon.

Callum Smith fight is another mismatch he's not even fighting a SMW, but Coyle / Algieri is a decent fight and I guess Katie Taylor fight is a landmark moment; overall it's a horrible card, sky are selling this on PPV lol no way I would pay for it; I would have paid 20 quid last week instead for the WBSS finals and Wilder/Breazeale; instead as it was on sky sports it only cost me 8 quid via NOW TV which is a steal

He's not a bad opponent but even though he fought like a few months ago, he was inactive before that for a while and doesn't have a world title prep level camp behind him like Joshua; I question his fitness and Joshua is a huge favourite. I may see Ruiz potentially cause some issues early on maybe a round or 2 but would not be shocked if he is taken out very quick, the fight doesn't appeal to me if am honest and am sick of all these boring titles defences from AJ, I'd take a rematch with Whyte instead considering he wont be facing Fury or Wilder any time soon.

Callum Smith fight is another mismatch he's not even fighting a SMW, but Coyle / Algieri is a decent fight and I guess Katie Taylor fight is a landmark moment; overall it's a horrible card, sky are selling this on PPV lol no way I would pay for it; I would have paid 20 quid last week instead for the WBSS finals and Wilder/Breazeale; instead as it was on sky sports it only cost me 8 quid via NOW TV which is a steal

Joshua's can only fight who is in front of him...

Didn't Ortiz turn down a fight with him?...and I do think out of the two of them it looks like Wilder is avoiding him...

Povetkin, Parker, Whyte, Wlad...it's not that bad a showing...he just hasn't fought the other two in Fury and Wilder...

It's better than the Brezeale fight...Ruiz is a better fighter...completely agree it doesnt belong on PPV ...neither would the Miller fight...

Joshua's can only fight who is in front of him...

Didn't Ortiz turn down a fight with him?...and I do think out of the two of them it looks like Wilder is avoiding him...

Povetkin, Parker, Whyte, Wlad...it's not that bad a showing...he just hasn't fought the other two in Fury and Wilder...

It's better than the Brezeale fight...Ruiz is a better fighter...completely agree it doesnt belong on PPV ...neither would the Miller fight...

Thing is, in his entire career there is only 1 fight where I felt as if the opposition was a threat. From a pure rankings system, AJ is doing well; but if we're real then the one time he had to overcome a legit obstacle it was against Wladmir, it was a good win but at the same time Wlad was coming of a loss, inactivity and well into his 40s but he did show up on that night I give him credit for that and almost finished AJ off. But that fight / win I give him credit for it. Since then, I could never honestly see Takam, Parker, Povetkin or Ruiz beating him; this is all brilliant match making.

Wilder on the other hand fought both Ortiz and Fury; these guys are much bigger stylistic challenges for AJ compered to the other names and much bigger risks. So I am more inclined to believe that AJ is the one who is overly protected / not in the business to prove himself against Fury or Wilder anytime soon, he often speaks in terms of money primarily and we live in an era now unfortunately where there is so much emphasis on protecting that 0 and matchroom have done a wonderful job for him milking that amongst the casual fan base in the UK especially. Unfortunately we now have a situation because of this where all fighters have ended up on different networks.

[MENTION=133972]shaykh[/MENTION] I can't be arsed with those guys anymore, the main HW fight am looking forward to in the near future is Dubois v Gorman ! your prediction ! I can't make one !

Thing is, in his entire career there is only 1 fight where I felt as if the opposition was a threat. From a pure rankings system, AJ is doing well; but if we're real then the one time he had to overcome a legit obstacle it was against Wladmir, it was a good win but at the same time Wlad was coming of a loss, inactivity and well into his 40s but he did show up on that night I give him credit for that and almost finished AJ off. But that fight / win I give him credit for it. Since then, I could never honestly see Takam, Parker, Povetkin or Ruiz beating him; this is all brilliant match making.

Wilder on the other hand fought both Ortiz and Fury; these guys are much bigger stylistic challenges for AJ compered to the other names and much bigger risks. So I am more inclined to believe that AJ is the one who is overly protected / not in the business to prove himself against Fury or Wilder anytime soon, he often speaks in terms of money primarily and we live in an era now unfortunately where there is so much emphasis on protecting that 0 and matchroom have done a wonderful job for him milking that amongst the casual fan base in the UK especially. Unfortunately we now have a situation because of this where all fighters have ended up on different networks.

Ortiz ran his mouth saying he wanted to fight AJ...and said he would step in if Miller didn't happen...and now we have Ruiz...

Ortiz got like $500k against Wilder...and i'd be very surprised if Hearn didn't offer more than that...im not sure I buy his whole I got lowballed thing...Ortiz has looked awful post Wllder...there is nothing he does that should worry AJ...why do you think he is a stylistic challenge?...he certainly won't expose AJ's stamina issues for one...and he looks every bit his age...

And other than Wilder and Fury...who else is there?...Whyte II, Pulev?...all quite underwhelming...

Wilder imo thought he was gonna have it easy against Fury...Fury surprised us all...i'd say that Wilder has had it easier than AJ...

Fury for me is stil the king of the division...

You call it brilliant matchmaking but who can he fight? ...

heard about this kid the other day, no idea of his level of boxers hes fought tbh, desi lad from ilford. cant think of many other boxers from ilford other than nigel benn tbh.

heard about this kid the other day, no idea of his level of boxers hes fought tbh, desi lad from ilford. cant think of many other boxers from ilford other than nigel benn tbh.

Ilford but born in Slough...that's as Pakistani as they come :) ...

Will keep an eye on him...you do have another boxer from there right now...Anthony Yarde...17-0 but he's a fraud...he hasn't fought anyone with a pulse yet...

On the subject of Asian fighters...have any of you had the displeasure of witnessing the wannabe Naz...Prince Patel?...

Ortiz ran his mouth saying he wanted to fight AJ...and said he would step in if Miller didn't happen...and now we have Ruiz...

Ortiz got like $500k against Wilder...and i'd be very surprised if Hearn didn't offer more than that...im not sure I buy his whole I got lowballed thing...Ortiz has looked awful post Wllder...there is nothing he does that should worry AJ...why do you think he is a stylistic challenge?...he certainly won't expose AJ's stamina issues for one...and he looks every bit his age...

And other than Wilder and Fury...who else is there?...Whyte II, Pulev?...all quite underwhelming...

Wilder imo thought he was gonna have it easy against Fury...Fury surprised us all...i'd say that Wilder has had it easier than AJ...

Fury for me is stil the king of the division...

You call it brilliant matchmaking but who can he fight? ...

Not Ortiz now but in the past ahead of those other cans, he brings speed, lateral movement, power and counter punching skills to cause more problems then Takam, Povetkin, Molina and Parker; for these reasons Ortiz has largely been avoided for most of his career. Tbh Whyte, Pulev and Ortiz are much better opponents then that lot so the match-making has been brilliant, can't criticise the Parker fight as he had a belt but no one can honestly give him a prayer vs AJ.

Ruiz is an alright opponent in the situation now with the short notice to but I'd have liked to see him against either Fury, Wilder or even Whyte with all groups having a proper camp behind them to.

Even then, you still have to give Wilder credit and he has been pushing for the rematch hard. I agree Fury is the king, I hate how matchroom keep belittling his lineal status to and his performances.

Not Ortiz now but in the past ahead of those other cans, he brings speed, lateral movement, power and counter punching skills to cause more problems then Takam, Povetkin, Molina and Parker; for these reasons Ortiz has largely been avoided for most of his career. Tbh Whyte, Pulev and Ortiz are much better opponents then that lot so the match-making has been brilliant, can't criticise the Parker fight as he had a belt but no one can honestly give him a prayer vs AJ.

Ruiz is an alright opponent in the situation now with the short notice to but I'd have liked to see him against either Fury, Wilder or even Whyte with all groups having a proper camp behind them to.

Even then, you still have to give Wilder credit and he has been pushing for the rematch hard. I agree Fury is the king, I hate how matchroom keep belittling his lineal status to and his performances.

Wow funny I mention that yesterday as Wilder announces the Fury rematch !!! Many sources report it is expected early 2020 and will be the first PBC/Top rank co promotion since Floyd/Manny. Wilder last five fights would have been 2x Ortiz 2x Fury and Breazeale, very impressive. Have to give both men a lot of credit, am off AJ, either he is at fault or matchroom / both; I would gladly watch Fury/Wilder face each other repeatedly and throw Whyte into the mix, the heavyweight division is alive again!

We have to be realistic and honest here. Wilder v Fury 2 is not on yet, in fact the reports quoting the fight also states Fury has not signed anything just yet anyway.

Second point, when the first fight happened, wilder was going in against a recovering crackhead. It was meant to be a showcase against lineal champ to bring Wilders rather rubbish title run some legitimacy. In the end he lost 11 rounds.

We have to be realistic and honest here. Wilder v Fury 2 is not on yet, in fact the reports quoting the fight also states Fury has not signed anything just yet anyway.

Second point, when the first fight happened, wilder was going in against a recovering crackhead. It was meant to be a showcase against lineal champ to bring Wilders rather rubbish title run some legitimacy. In the end he lost 11 rounds.

It will be on the rematch is going to happen 100% and I will bet my life on it happening before any fight between AJ and Fury/Wilder materialises.

It wasn't meant to be a showcase like you are saying, the odds were pretty much even; Wilder was a slight favourite but you'd still give him an advantage over a Fury with the issues he had. He won 2 rounds remember there were 2 knockdowns, so in abstract form Fury won 8-4, but in this situation unfortunately when early rounds can swing for judges the draw was an outcome although Fury won regardless for me. You can call it rubbish but every chin takes tagging, he has knocked out everyone apart from Fury and his recent resume is actually very good in terms of quality of opposition and future looking good to.

2018: Fury and Ortiz

2019: Brezeale and Ortiz

2020: Fury

Last edited:
It will be on the rematch is going to happen 100% and I will bet my life on it happening before any fight between AJ and Fury/Wilder materialises.

It wasn't meant to be a showcase like you are saying, the odds were pretty much even; Wilder was a slight favourite but you'd still give him an advantage over a Fury with the issues he had. He won 2 rounds remember there were 2 knockdowns, so in abstract form Fury won 8-4, but in this situation unfortunately when early rounds can swing for judges the draw was an outcome although Fury won regardless for me. You can call it rubbish but every chin takes tagging, he has knocked out everyone apart from Fury and his recent resume is actually very good in terms of quality of opposition and future looking good to.

OK two rounds... He still loses the fight on the cards for everyone except the three judges.

Wilder couldn't get past a man barely recovered from his addiction.

And the rematch may happen, although word is fury is saying its not on at all. Bottom line is its taken wilder ten years to fight his first champion. AJ on the other hand has three belts in half the time and almost clear dour the division.

I kinda like wilder and he is certainly entertaining but let's be honest, he is avoiding AJ like the plague, lying about offers and refusing huge money. He is haymon last hw cash cow and will not be allowed into a situation where the box father can not control the outcome.

Ortiz is a juicer and has largely been responsible for his own substandard career...

He lost his mandatory cos he got caught juicing...and it's not like he exactly looked great against Malik Scott and Allen when he was at Matchroom...

An overrated fighter who looked good cos he hung with Wilder...who isnt a good boxer...

Thing is you can't credit Wilder with fighting Ortiz when Joshua was also willing to fight him...and this was before the first Wilder...

Brezeale is a worse fight than Ruiz...

And Wilder fought Fury cos he thought it wouldn't be challenging...no one gave him props at the time...it looks good in hindsight cos Fury still has skills...

Ortiz is a juicer and has largely been responsible for his own substandard career...

He lost his mandatory cos he got caught juicing...and it's not like he exactly looked great against Malik Scott and Allen when he was at Matchroom...

An overrated fighter who looked good cos he hung with Wilder...who isnt a good boxer...

Criticising him for Allen is like criticising GGG for performance against Brook when he treated it as sparring. Ortiz can be berated from various angles but if you judge him purely on skills, he is not a walkover for any fighter based on his footwork, power, speed and counters; but I agree his age is not doing him any good now but I can't agree he wouldn't have done better compared to Povetkin, Parker, Takam, Molina etc He did look good against Wilder and almost stopped him, not many have come that close besides Fury in Rd 12 (many forget that thinking about the dramatic knockdown overly)

Thing is you can't credit Wilder with fighting Ortiz when Joshua was also willing to fight him...and this was before the first Wilder...

Brezeale is a worse fight than Ruiz...

And Wilder fought Fury cos he thought it wouldn't be challenging...no one gave him props at the time...it looks good in hindsight cos Fury still has skills...

Mate I wouldn't give Joshua credit for beating an Ortiz without a proper camp behind him on short notice, at least he is getting time to actually train for a world title fight vs Wilder. This is why I will take Ruiz but he has come in 6lb heavier then his last fight! So it is not relevant even comparing him to a Brezeale who had time to train and prepare to get knocked out which makes that KO win more impressive especially the manner of it.

He still fought Fury and should get credit for it, others could have forced their hand and taken advantage of that Fury too...moreover it is more important to criticise fighters in the top 3 who are not fighting the best, Fury/Wilder 2 will happen, then will Wilder still get criticised? AJ and matchroom are the place to apply pressure

OK two rounds... He still loses the fight on the cards for everyone except the three judges.

Wilder couldn't get past a man barely recovered from his addiction.

And the rematch may happen, although word is fury is saying its not on at all. Bottom line is its taken wilder ten years to fight his first champion. AJ on the other hand has three belts in half the time and almost clear dour the division.

I kinda like wilder and he is certainly entertaining but let's be honest, he is avoiding AJ like the plague, lying about offers and refusing huge money. He is haymon last hw cash cow and will not be allowed into a situation where the box father can not control the outcome.

2 rounds with knockdowns remember which bring xtra points. He is not one to outbox you, he is a puncher who looks for a KO amd he almost got it and stuck in there with a special special fighter and that deserves credit, I rate Fury very highly.

AJ beat Charles Martin and Parker for titles, Wladmir is the only guy worth mentioning. Since then no one has posed a threat, Ortiz and Fury pose more of a threat then the guys AJ has been fighting.

I can make the same argument from the opposing angle, that AJ is matchrooms cash cow that has been overly protecting and milked casual UK fans as much as possible instead of taking on riskier challenges to enhance his legacy, matchroom only other draw is Amir Khan! So it is AJ that has been avoiding challenges like the plague, who has he fought that compares to Fury in 2018-2019, he would rather face Miller and Ruiz compared to even the much improved Whyte in his own stable.

But there is only so much hiding AJ can do, the public are applying the pressure he has to fight Fury or Wilder eventually. But he becomes very irrelevant in the event Fury / Wilder 2 is made official

Mate I wouldn't give Joshua credit for beating an Ortiz without a proper camp behind him on short notice, at least he is getting time to actually train for a world title fight vs Wilder. This is why I will take Ruiz but he has come in 6lb heavier then his last fight! So it is not relevant even comparing him to a Brezeale who had time to train and prepare to get knocked out which makes that KO win more impressive especially the manner of it.

He still fought Fury and should get credit for it, others could have forced their hand and taken advantage of that Fury too...moreover it is more important to criticise fighters in the top 3 who are not fighting the best, Fury/Wilder 2 will happen, then will Wilder still get criticised? AJ and matchroom are the place to apply pressure

Wilder has fought one good fighter (Fury) who he thought wouldnt be good...if he does fight him again then he deserves more credit than he did the first time round...

Ortiz (average) and he nearly got beat...

The rest of the fighters he has fought are trash...

Povetkin, Parker, Whyte, are all in that average second tier level...and i'm not sold on Joshua but he did beat these guys...and are you gonna tell me Ortiz isn't in this category?...

Wlad is AJ's version of the Fury fight except he didn't lose while Wilder did...

Whoever fights Fury next should get credit...but honestly Ruiz is no worse than Wilder's opponents...and AJ has actually fought a much better level of competition overall...if AJ has been fighting second tier fighters then Wilder has been fighting 3rd and 4th tier fighters...

His two step up fights...a good fight with Ortiz which he nearly lost...and Fury which he did lose...

Wilder has fought one good fighter (Fury) who he thought wouldnt be good...if he does fight him again then he deserves more credit than he did the first time round...

Ortiz (average) and he nearly got beat...

The rest of the fighters he has fought are trash...

Povetkin, Parker, Whyte, are all in that average second tier level...and i'm not sold on Joshua but he did beat these guys...and are you gonna tell me Ortiz isn't in this category?...

Wlad is AJ's version of the Fury fight except he didn't lose while Wilder did...

Whoever fights Fury next should get credit...but honestly Ruiz is no worse than Wilder's opponents...and AJ has actually fought a much better level of competition overall...if AJ has been fighting second tier fighters then Wilder has been fighting 3rd and 4th tier fighters...

His two step up fights...a good fight with Ortiz which he nearly lost...and Fury which he did lose...

Whatever the motives he fought him and that's to be applauded, yes he lost but we got to praise the positives to the championship heart and grit displayed to get those knockdowns, and showing a chin himself in the 12th.

I compatibly see Ortiz beating both Parker and Povetkin, I'd be in two minds about Whyte given his improvement but Whyte himself was not so keen to face him when ordered by the WBC.

Except Wlad was coming off a long period of inactivity and was in his 40s as well...

AJ has managed to fight guys who don't pose a threat at all but because of the ranking based system he has a valid defence for avoiding criticism for not facing Fury, Wilder, Whyte or even Whyte but he is running out of excuses, what next for him ? Miller ?

He stepped up atleast and still beat Ortiz whilsr dropping Fury twice, he could face all those guys AJ has and body them, Povetkin never happened in Russia as he failed a drugs test, Parker would get smashed, he got dropped by Whyte, lost to Ruiz as you say and arguably lost to Hughie as well!

Last edited:
Whatever the motives he fought him and that's to be applauded, yes he lost but we got to praise the positives to the championship heart and grit displayed to get those knockdowns, and showing a chin himself in the 12th.

I compatibly see Ortiz beating both Parker and Povetkin, I'd be in two minds about Whyte given his improvement but Whyte himself was not so keen to face him when ordered by the WBC.

Except Wlad was coming off a long period of inactivity and was in his 40s as well...

AJ has managed to fight guys who don't pose a threat at all but because of the ranking based system he has a valid defence for avoiding criticism for not facing Fury, Wilder, Whyte or even Whyte but he is running out of excuses, what next for him ? Miller ?

He stepped up atleast and still beat Ortiz whilsr dropping Fury twice, he could face all those guys AJ has and body them, Povetkin never happened in Russia as he failed a drugs test, Parker would get smashed, he got dropped by Whyte, lost to Ruiz as you say and arguably lost to Hughie as well!

Ortiz is a Haymon fighter hence why the fight happened...and is happening again...it's why we will likely see him fight Kownacki after that...

We can agree to disagree but imo Ortiz's camp havent wanted a Joshua fight...you can talk about the camp etc...but he actually said he would fight AJ if the Miller fight fell through...all bluster...they weren't serious about fighting AJ...you're not a casual fan...you're more than aware of promoter and network issues...

On Wilder v Parker...that would be quite interesting actually...Parker has a good chin...and he can outbox Wilder...it's a tougher fight than Ortiz...

Povetkin is a better fighter than Ortiz too...that would be a fun fight...

I don't actually rate these guy but I also don't rate Ortiz...overrated to the hilt...whose best win is Jennings...

Whyte too would stop Ortiz...

The undercard has been decent so far...

Coyle V Algieri was fun as expected...and the result was to be expected...

Ray Robinson Jr and Josh Kelly fought to a draw...while Kelly will be cussed for this...Robinson is a legitimate prospect checker...and isn't a bad fighter...his Ugas loss was a short notice fight and he got a draw against another unbeaten prospect a few months ago...

Agree with Froch that low hands style is gonna get Kelly KO'ed against a real puncher...hes not as evasive as he needs to be with that style...hes got a lower ceiling than he would like...

ABSOLUTE DISGRACE!!!

This is one of the things I hate about boxing...just the sheer corruption that pervades...

No way Katie Taylor won that fight...just no way at all...Delfine Persoon just outworked her...and was 2 rounds up MINIMUM...

Robbery and its a shame cos it was such a good fight to watch...

Complete mismatch...that said stopping N'Dam is to be commended...

Smith is a huge huge super middleweight and if what Hearn says is true...ie that the Canelo fight is in the works...then Canelo is gonna have a tough night...Smith is too big...

Benavidez or Ramirez would be a nice next fight for Callum...

While today was a dud fight Smith is the real deal imo...

Joshua was absolutely smashed! What a performance by Ruiz- knocked Joshua down four times!

Wow!

tenor.gif

Ruiz put on a clinic as the underdog. Serious heart.

Wow!!!...this is why I love Heavyweight boxing...

This was no fluke...Ruiz bossed this fight...always knew AJ was vulnerable...just never thought Ruiz was gonna be the guy to exploit his weaknesses...

Faster hands, better technique, better chin and better heart...fully deserved!

Wow!

tenor.gif

Ruiz put on a clinic as the underdog. Serious heart.

Think what impressed me most is how patient he was...i thought he would make a mistake and go for broke in round 4 but he picked his shots...good work to the body and then to the head...he stuck to his plan...

And his hands are very quick...no way was trading with him a good idea...

That chin has been exposed before...but unlike Wlad and White Ruiz was a much better finisher...

Andy Ruiz Jr produced one of the biggest shocks in the history of heavyweight boxing to rip Anthony Joshua's IBF, WBO and WBA world heavyweight titles from him and tear up the division's proposed plot lines.

In a truly remarkable fight at New York's Madison Square Garden, Ruiz floored Joshua four times en route to a seventh-round stoppage which stunned this famous arena and handed the Briton his first defeat.

Joshua was a 1-25 favourite with bookmakers and will now join the likes of Lennox Lewis and Mike Tyson as dominant champions to suffer losses which brought the sport to a standstill.

"I got beaten by a good fighter," said Joshua on Sky Sports. "It will be interesting to see how far he goes, but this is all part of the journey.

"He's a champion for now, I shall return."

This was no fluke, no punch from the ages, it was the breakdown of a fighter who looked shattered from an early stage.

After flooring Ruiz with a left hook in the third round, Joshua hit the canvas when a right crashed against his temple. By the time a sensational three minutes was up he had been down again thanks to a flurry when cornered.

It created an electric buzz amongst the 19,000 or so in the arena. Just what was happening? Were they going to see the unthinkable?

Ruiz was not even supposed to be here. He took the bout at six weeks' notice and tickets were being collected by fans 24 hours before the bout which still had the name of Jarrell Miller - Joshua's original opponent - printed on them.

By the seventh round, when Joshua touched down under a flurry of shots again, the game looked up. Seconds later he was down on all fours again and spat his gum shield out, perhaps to buy time.

He simply did not have it. The bout was waved off and all that was planned for the glamour division was ripped up thanks to a man who had been dubbed unglamorous because of his rounded physique.

Ruiz, from appearance to pedigree, was an underdog in every sense of the word. When Britons wake up on Sunday morning, they will read of a truly iconic upset.

Ruiz, American born but with Mexican parents, becomes Mexico's first heavyweight world champion, just as he said he would.

When Joshua sat down with the media on Wednesday, virtually every question directed at him was about his future, not this bout.

He said he was "seeing the bigger picture" and maybe therein lies the problem.

After six fairly tentative minutes from both men he scored his knockdown from a crisp left hook as the pair boxed up close. Normal order appeared set to play out.

Moments later when he himself hit the deck, we were taken back to his titanic struggle with Wladimir Klitschko. The night was on a cliff edge, simply do not blink.

And from that first knock down, he never appeared comfortable. Whether it be stamina, a lack of focus or a lack of preparation for his late stand-in, this was not the Joshua the travelling 8,000 strong army of British fans had grown to know.

In the sixth round there were warning signs. After a smart left hook and right hand combination from Ruiz early on, he went on to take pot shots at Joshua's head, with the champion seemingly too fatigued to even muster a guard while his legs appeared confused below him.

And then came the finish, mainly built from punch volume as Ruiz overwhelmed his vulnerable opponent with two knock downs in quick succession. The crowd seemed frozen. Surely not? Yes, it was over.

There will be questions because Joshua is his own biggest analyst. For now, there is only disbelief.

Rematch before the year is over
Joshua was down on two cards and up on one when the stoppage came but he will get his chance to rectify things in a rematch in London, possibly in December, according to promoter Eddie Hearn.

For now, all talk of facing Tyson Fury or WBC champion Deontay Wilder can stop.

Ruiz, who now has 33 wins and one loss can temporarily bask in the glory of his glorious night. He joins James 'Buster' Douglas - who humbled Tyson in 1990 - and Hasim Rahman who beat Lewis in 2001 as men to land colossal upsets.

Lewis of course responded by winning a rematch. Ruiz though showed plenty here to suggest Joshua will have to find plenty to do the same.

Ruiz was calm and calculated in staying away from Joshua's obvious power early on. When he stepped forward he did so with conviction and threw plenty, ensuring he got shots off to justify the risk of making himself vulnerable.

When he did take shots after being floored, he took them and ploughed on gamely.

This bout changed his and his five children's lives financially. The rematch will do so even more.

"This is what I have been dreaming about and I cannot believe I made my dreams come true," he said.

"That was my first time getting dropped on the floor but it made me want it even more."

From starting boxing aged six, to being taunted and doubted because of his weight, he has now come up trumps to deliver the ultimate 'I told you so' moment.

He rightly said "the sky is the limit now", while Joshua will look back on a US bow which was wrecked.

BBC Radio 5 Live boxing pundit Steve Bunce: "Anthony Joshua was a broken man in that seventh round. He spat his gum shield out and went back to the ropes. The referee had no option but to stop the fight.

"Anthony Joshua is not going to be able to get away with saying 'what a great fight that was - everyone was entertained'.

"That is not good enough."

Former world heavyweight champion and BBC Radio 5 Live pundit, David Haye: "If Anthony Joshua is as healthy and fit as he says he is, then there is something wrong. He needs something in his camp that he didn't have.

"I thought it was a fantastic night of boxing and unfortunately the Brit lost his belts, but this is why I love heavyweight boxing because anything can happen on the night.

"His invincibility has gone and he is now just a mere mortal. Now, fighters know they have just got to stick in there against him and keep throwing body shots."

Former featherweight and super-bantamweight world champion, and Radio 5 Live pundit Carl Frampton: "This is the biggest shock I have ever seen in my whole days in boxing, and it's live. I liked Eddie Hearn's honesty by saying Anthony Joshua must win the rematch. Where does he stand if he loses that?"

BBC Sport boxing correspondent Mike Costello: "Anthony Joshua looked vacant in the ring after the fight."

https://www.bbc.com/sport/boxing/48487939

Think what impressed me most is how patient he was...i thought he would make a mistake and go for broke in round 4 but he picked his shots...good work to the body and then to the head...he stuck to his plan...

And his hands are very quick...no way was trading with him a good idea...

That chin has been exposed before...but unlike Wlad and White Ruiz was a much better finisher...

Absolutely spot on.

To be honest, Ruiz looked like the defending champion out there. Can't even make excuses for AJ cause he got schooled every step of the way minus that initial knockdown.

Worth noting that while AJ didn't recover that was his no mas moment...and frankly one thing about AJ is in a battle he just doesn't seem to have the heart...this is a quote from him in the buildup...in referring to not wanting a slugfest...

And also, lastly, I said to my coach, look, if I have another one of these fights, then I’m done with boxing. I said I should be good enough that I don’t have to go through, like, hell and back to win a fight. The fight, it should be a good competition, but I shouldn’t go through one of those fights to win.

Wilder can't box but what he doesn't lack is heart...

Amusing thing is this isn't the first time a short fat dude has stopped AJ...

Check from 10:45...

Wow I don't have my laptop with me or access to the footage just spending time with fam after long time away tend to not go on anything aha, but was listening to BBC radio 5 live and following shaykh updates, fell asleep after listening to Katie/Peerson fight; from what I gather it was very close and in typical A side style the biggest ticket seller always wins, you have dominate the champ.

Most hardcore fans like me, KingKhan, shaykh and a few others always know AJ had a defensive vulnerability and is just too orthodox but even then, I wouldn't expect Ruiz to have beaten him; a short notice opponent that came in 6lb heavy. I hope this also shows who has been avoiding who and which fighter has been protected for so long and matched beautifully in recent times. I am dissapointed because AJ v Fury/Wilder loses appeal compared to before, whether AJ or matchroom both should be criticised for not forcing the big fights. Having said that, I think AJ will win the rematch hopefully and I wouldn't question his heart.

Will post further on the fights after I have seen the card in full.

On the plus side it does open the division up a little bit even more so if lightning strikes twice! But you know what I haven't seen this yet but we should be giving full credit to Ruiz, fat men can fight! Maybe we should stop giving Sarfraz stick to :))) I believe he is now Mexico's first HW world champion, what an incredible moment for his people, family and Boxing mad country. Will be interesting to see the new The RING and Boxrec rankings update ;)

Last edited:
Back