Can Dale Steyn ever match the greatness of Wasim Akram?

ftbno1

Tape Ball Star
Runs
I would put steyn ahead anyday of the week he as he averages in low 20s in the era of flat pitches and big bats. Very few can swing the ball so prodigious at such quick pace.

Steyn's good. Akram's better. Stop watching cricket on cricinfo and you'll realize this.

Hard to say until both careers have ended. And even then we'd be comparing across eras.

Steyn has played most of his cricket on bowler friendly pitches!

lol

Steyn's alright - heck he's probably best of his generation

but he's not the class of Akram, not yet anyhow

I have never seen anyone make the ball talk the way Akram has, for me it will be Akram but those selecting Steyn won't be wrong either.

Past greats are too much overrated. Steyn for me.

(big akram fan here but i'l have to admit, he isn't as good as steyn)

watching steyn bowling is like watching schindlers list with that sweet melodic music in background.

Wasim Akram for me.

Came back when Styne has taken 500 ODI wickets I might reconsider.

lol how you compare a good bowler with great
don't be biased just ask neutral and he might tell you that styen is no ware near akram.Akmram was just awesome \, no one beats him

lol how you compare a good bowler with great
don't be biased just ask neutral and he might tell you that styen is no ware near akram.Akmram was just awesome \, no one beats him

and you are not a neutral. So your point doesn't count by your own logic.

Stats may tell the other story in the end but skill wise Wasim is best. Even I'd rate Waqar and McGrath better than Steyn.

Steyn is a top bowler but better than akram? No way

in bowler friendly pitches.

Yeah swinging bouncy tracks such as Karachi Lahore and Faisalabad and on the other hand Steyn plays majoirity of his matches on flat tracks in Johannesburg and Durban :danish

:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

Last edited:
Wasim Akram is a sniper rifle and Dale Steyn is a machine gun.

Wasim Bhai all the way for me.

You can however compare Steyn with fully fit Shoaib Akhtar.

Yeah swinging bouncy tracks such as Karachi Lahore and Faisalabad and on the other hand Steyn plays majoirity of his matches on flat tracks in Johannesburg and Durban :danish

looks like akram never played outside pakistan and steyn never played outside rsa.

:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

Hehe....this thread seems to be the reply for that Inzi-Dhoni debate... 'Bowler friendly conditions then...flat pitches now' was universally accepted there....but here we have different opinions arising

Steyn is a better strike bowler whereas akram was a magician with the ball. I will have steyn in my team though if i have to pick one.

Akram for me, he was more complete as a bowler. Against a good batting line-up on a flat pitch, i am quite sure Akram would do a lot better than Steyno.

Averages less than 25 in both India and Pakistan.

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/en...;home_or_away=2;template=results;type=bowling

And if pitches in SA were that bowling friendly, then Wasim bhai wouldn't be averaging 39 over there.

he played only two matches over there...so doesn't suggest anything . you need a large number of sample to suggest that he was bad in South Africa

before this series against England in England even Steyn averaged 36 in two matches, so your argument is quite pointless.

In tests I had probably back steyn. Results matter more than skill and steyn has put up some extremely competent nos

Overall Its waz because he was a stupendous odi bowler as well but purely for tests I go with steyn

Wasim Akram only played 2 matches in SA you can't judge him in only 2 matches

Where as in Pakistan he averaged 22 better than Styens 25.

he played only two matches over there...so doesn't suggest anything . you need a large number of sample to suggest that he was bad in South Africa

before this series against England in England even Steyn averaged 36 in two matches, so your argument is quite pointless.

It wasn't meant to prove anything, you guys are missing the point. This whole "bowler friendly pitches" thing is ludicrous. So what if Steyn bowled mostly in SA and Wasim bowled mostly in Pakistan? It's conditions that they're familiar with, they should each be expected to play well at home.

One could argue that Steyn has a better record in India against India. Or that Wasim was slightly better in England. It doesn't prove a thing. Two different eras, and one of them is barely halfway through their career. This comparison is pointless at this point in time.

What you talking about flat pitches? Wasim has played most of his matches on dead flat tracks; where Styen has played most of his matches on bowling friendly green top pitches. I would choose Wasim any day, Wasim would have killed it in any format where Styen is only good in test and average in LOI.

Akram >>>>>>>>>>>> Steyn.

Steyn is an amazing bowler but Akram was a limited overs legend

Seriously... there have been some really idiotic comparisons lately on pp

We are talking abt two bowlers belonging to complete different eras with different styles of bowling

Its like comparing imran khan with darren sammy :asif

I have watched a lot of both bowlers. I would take steyn in test and wasim in odi. Wasim is a little overrated in test though. for me waqar is better than wasim in test.

steyn vs waqar is a better comparison for me as both are similar type of bowlers although waqar's action was slingy whereas steyn has an high arm action. both are quick and skiddy. both attack the batsmen all the time by bowling close to the stumps. waqar had a great inswinging yorker, steyn has a beautiful natural outswingers. both could move the ball both ways. Steyn has achieved a lot but waqar underachieved a bit (partly due to injury though).

Similarity - both bowled at decent pace throughout the inning, but when they see a chance they just go all out on the batsman by increasing pace and trying harder than usual.

I have watched a lot of both bowlers. I would take steyn in test and wasim in odi. Wasim is a little overrated in test though. for me waqar is better than wasim in test.

steyn vs waqar is a better comparison for me as both are similar type of bowlers although waqar's action was slingy whereas steyn has an high arm action. both are quick and skiddy. both attack the batsmen all the time by bowling close to the stumps. waqar had a great inswinging yorker, steyn has a beautiful natural outswingers. both could move the ball both ways. Steyn has achieved a lot but waqar underachieved a bit (partly due to injury though).

+1

Last edited:
Seriously... there have been some really idiotic comparisons lately on pp

We are talking abt two bowlers belonging to complete different eras with different styles of bowling

Its like comparing imran khan with darren sammy :asif

calm down. when steyn finishes his career he will be one of the all time greats.

What you talking about flat pitches? Wasim has played most of his matches on dead flat tracks

But somehow pacers of touring teams performed better in Pakistan than in Australia, South Africa, West Indies and New Zealand from 1985 to 1999. :asif

<table border=1>
<tr><th>Host Country </th><th>Players </th><th>Span </th><th>Mat </th><th>Inns </th><th>Overs </th><th>Mdns </th><th>Runs </th><th>Wkts </th><th>BBI </th><th>BBM </th><th>Ave </th><th>Econ </th><th>SR </th><th>5 </th><th>10</th></tr> <tr><td>in Zimbabwe </td><td>66 </td><td>1992-1999 </td><td>22 </td><td>143 </td><td>2557.3 </td><td>667 </td><td>6276 </td><td>239 </td><td>8/71 </td><td>11/113 </td><td>26.25 </td><td>2.45 </td><td>64.2 </td><td>9 </td><td>1</td></tr> <tr><td>in England </td><td>118 </td><td>1985-1999 </td><td>86 </td><td>553 </td><td>10621.0 </td><td>2389 </td><td>31040 </td><td>1062 </td><td>8/38 </td><td>11/169 </td><td>29.22 </td><td>2.92 </td><td>60.0 </td><td>54 </td><td>7</td></tr> <tr><td>in Pakistan </td><td>91 </td><td>1985-1999 </td><td>50 </td><td>288 </td><td>4966.1 </td><td>1048 </td><td>14335 </td><td>470 </td><td>8/83 </td><td>11/152 </td><td>30.50 </td><td>2.88 </td><td>63.3 </td><td>23 </td><td>1</td></tr> <tr><td>in West Indies </td><td>89 </td><td>1985-1999 </td><td>57 </td><td>328 </td><td>5656.0 </td><td>1098 </td><td>17859 </td><td>580 </td><td>8/53 </td><td>11/110 </td><td>30.79 </td><td>3.15 </td><td>58.5 </td><td>27 </td><td>5</td></tr> <tr><td>in New Zealand </td><td>112 </td><td>1985-1999 </td><td>54 </td><td>351 </td><td>6610.0 </td><td>1636 </td><td>17657 </td><td>571 </td><td>7/37 </td><td>13/55 </td><td>30.92 </td><td>2.67 </td><td>69.4 </td><td>24 </td><td>4</td></tr> <tr><td>in Sri Lanka </td><td>83 </td><td>1985-1999 </td><td>37 </td><td>186 </td><td>2924.0 </td><td>694 </td><td>8414 </td><td>271 </td><td>6/34 </td><td>11/119 </td><td>31.04 </td><td>2.87 </td><td>64.7 </td><td>8 </td><td>1</td></tr> <tr><td>in South Africa </td><td>74 </td><td>1992-1999 </td><td>36 </td><td>226 </td><td>4118.5 </td><td>916 </td><td>11612 </td><td>359 </td><td>7/46 </td><td>10/133 </td><td>32.34 </td><td>2.81 </td><td>68.8 </td><td>15 </td><td>2</td></tr> <tr><td>in Australia </td><td>114 </td><td>1985-1999 </td><td>80 </td><td>540 </td><td>10368.5 </td><td>2167 </td><td>29818 </td><td>890 </td><td>9/52 </td><td>15/123 </td><td>33.50 </td><td>2.87 </td><td>69.9 </td><td>42 </td><td>6</td></tr> <tr><td>in India </td><td>89 </td><td>1985-1999 </td><td>50 </td><td>238 </td><td>4051.3 </td><td>825 </td><td>12507 </td><td>350 </td><td>8/64 </td><td>11/163 </td><td>35.73 </td><td>3.08 </td><td>69.4 </td><td>16 </td><td>2</td></tr> <tr><td>in Bangladesh </td><td>7 </td><td>1999-1999 </td><td>1 </td><td>8 </td><td>132.2 </td><td>19 </td><td>404 </td><td>8 </td><td>3/33 </td><td>5/78 </td><td>50.50 </td><td>3.05 </td><td>99.2 </td><td>0 </td><td>0</td></tr></table>

It seems visitors enjoyed dead flat tracks than green tops.

Besides the fact that Wasim was the (much, MUCH) better bowler. For Steyn to be considered in that category of Akram, Sachin or McGrath he needs to win a major championship for South Africa :)

Winning a world cup takes you to another level as a player. Steyn will still be regarded as a great though, even if he doesn't win a world cup but Akram in my opinion was miles better. A real Genius with the ball.

But somehow pacers of touring teams performed better in Pakistan than in Australia, South Africa, West Indies and New Zealand from 1985 to 1999. :asif

<table border=1>
<tr><th>Host Country </th><th>Players </th><th>Span </th><th>Mat </th><th>Inns </th><th>Overs </th><th>Mdns </th><th>Runs </th><th>Wkts </th><th>BBI </th><th>BBM </th><th>Ave </th><th>Econ </th><th>SR </th><th>5 </th><th>10</th></tr> <tr><td>in Zimbabwe </td><td>66 </td><td>1992-1999 </td><td>22 </td><td>143 </td><td>2557.3 </td><td>667 </td><td>6276 </td><td>239 </td><td>8/71 </td><td>11/113 </td><td>26.25 </td><td>2.45 </td><td>64.2 </td><td>9 </td><td>1</td></tr> <tr><td>in England </td><td>118 </td><td>1985-1999 </td><td>86 </td><td>553 </td><td>10621.0 </td><td>2389 </td><td>31040 </td><td>1062 </td><td>8/38 </td><td>11/169 </td><td>29.22 </td><td>2.92 </td><td>60.0 </td><td>54 </td><td>7</td></tr> <tr><td>in Pakistan </td><td>91 </td><td>1985-1999 </td><td>50 </td><td>288 </td><td>4966.1 </td><td>1048 </td><td>14335 </td><td>470 </td><td>8/83 </td><td>11/152 </td><td>30.50 </td><td>2.88 </td><td>63.3 </td><td>23 </td><td>1</td></tr> <tr><td>in West Indies </td><td>89 </td><td>1985-1999 </td><td>57 </td><td>328 </td><td>5656.0 </td><td>1098 </td><td>17859 </td><td>580 </td><td>8/53 </td><td>11/110 </td><td>30.79 </td><td>3.15 </td><td>58.5 </td><td>27 </td><td>5</td></tr> <tr><td>in New Zealand </td><td>112 </td><td>1985-1999 </td><td>54 </td><td>351 </td><td>6610.0 </td><td>1636 </td><td>17657 </td><td>571 </td><td>7/37 </td><td>13/55 </td><td>30.92 </td><td>2.67 </td><td>69.4 </td><td>24 </td><td>4</td></tr> <tr><td>in Sri Lanka </td><td>83 </td><td>1985-1999 </td><td>37 </td><td>186 </td><td>2924.0 </td><td>694 </td><td>8414 </td><td>271 </td><td>6/34 </td><td>11/119 </td><td>31.04 </td><td>2.87 </td><td>64.7 </td><td>8 </td><td>1</td></tr> <tr><td>in South Africa </td><td>74 </td><td>1992-1999 </td><td>36 </td><td>226 </td><td>4118.5 </td><td>916 </td><td>11612 </td><td>359 </td><td>7/46 </td><td>10/133 </td><td>32.34 </td><td>2.81 </td><td>68.8 </td><td>15 </td><td>2</td></tr> <tr><td>in Australia </td><td>114 </td><td>1985-1999 </td><td>80 </td><td>540 </td><td>10368.5 </td><td>2167 </td><td>29818 </td><td>890 </td><td>9/52 </td><td>15/123 </td><td>33.50 </td><td>2.87 </td><td>69.9 </td><td>42 </td><td>6</td></tr> <tr><td>in India </td><td>89 </td><td>1985-1999 </td><td>50 </td><td>238 </td><td>4051.3 </td><td>825 </td><td>12507 </td><td>350 </td><td>8/64 </td><td>11/163 </td><td>35.73 </td><td>3.08 </td><td>69.4 </td><td>16 </td><td>2</td></tr> <tr><td>in Bangladesh </td><td>7 </td><td>1999-1999 </td><td>1 </td><td>8 </td><td>132.2 </td><td>19 </td><td>404 </td><td>8 </td><td>3/33 </td><td>5/78 </td><td>50.50 </td><td>3.05 </td><td>99.2 </td><td>0 </td><td>0</td></tr></table>

It seems visitors enjoyed dead flat tracks than green tops.

That's just because we had a poor batting line up. :waqar

Not fair to compare the two considering that one has already played out his career whilst the other is still at the peak of his. This is important because the tail end of your career can have a significant impact on your overall legacy and there's no better example of this than Wasim Akram himself. He averaged around 33 during his last 15 tests, had a strike rate of 77 and this had a massive impact on his overall figures. His career strike rate and average increased by around 1.5-2 points each and wickets per match went down from 4.3 to less than 4(barely). Until Steyn plays through this part of his career, a comparison will never be fair since you're comparing someone's prime to an 18 year long career.

Personally, I'd take Steyn over Wasim Akram(even in his prime, 94-98) in tests whilst I'd go with Wasim in ODIs and pay a bunch of hoodlums to introduce flame throwers into the mix if T20s are brought up. Having said that, neither one of them, Akram or Steyn, holds a candle to the monstrosity that was the first incarnation of Waqar Younis, the original afro sporting Waqar V 1.0.

Not fair to compare the two considering that one has already played out his career whilst the other is still at the peak of his. This is important because the tail end of your career can have a significant impact on your overall legacy and there's no better example of this than Wasim Akram himself. He averaged around 33 during his last 15 tests, had a strike rate of 77 and this had a massive impact on his overall figures. His career strike rate and average increased by around 1.5-2 points each and wickets per match went down from 4.3 to less than 4(barely). Until Steyn plays through this part of his career, a comparison will never be fair since you're comparing someone's prime to an 18 year long career.

Personally, I'd take Steyn over Wasim Akram(even in his prime, 94-98) in tests whilst I'd go with Wasim in ODIs and pay a bunch of hoodlums to introduce flame throwers into the mix if T20s are brought up. Having said that, neither one of them, Akram or Steyn, holds a candle to the monstrosity that was the first incarnation of Waqar Younis, the original afro sporting Waqar V 1.0.

Yep lets wait for Styen carrer to end before comparing him with anyone.

Enviado desde mi iPad con Tapatalk HD

Agree with most of the points that you have mentioned. Let Steyn finish his career and then we can compare both of them,

Besides the fact that Wasim was the (much, MUCH) better bowler. For Steyn to be considered in that category of Akram, Sachin or McGrath he needs to win a major championship for South Africa :)
That would make guys like Bradman and Sobers kak players. Sorry, this line of reasoning is poor. Apart from the fact that you're talking about ODIs here, and winning 3 matches in a row, it doesn't come down to one man.

That would make guys like Bradman and Sobers kak players. Sorry, this line of reasoning is poor. Apart from the fact that you're talking about ODIs here, and winning 3 matches in a row, it doesn't come down to one man.

There has always been a major championship/event.

The Ashes has always been in the past.

There has always been a major championship/event.

The Ashes has always been in the past.

And players who weren't from England or Australia? Did it make them poor? Again, it's a team sport, not a one man show.

When Steyn retires, this comparison will make more sense.

It's too early to say anything right now. Steyn is class, though.

Winning a world cup takes you to another level as a player. Steyn will still be regarded as a great though, even if he doesn't win a world cup but Akram in my opinion was miles better. A real Genius with the ball.

Your logic is not right. According to you, none of the batsmen or bowlers from lowly ranked team could become an all time great just because chances of their team becoming number 1 or winning worldcup is very very less? Is it not harsh on players like Hadley, Andy Flower, Lara, etc?

One to one comparison is not valid at this moment but if Steyn can continue same way till he retires then I might put him even before Marshall.

Even if he hangs his boots right now he will be counted as greats. I am not sure why some posters are putting him as merely a good bowler who can not be compared to Wasim.

Steyn's an excellent bowler who's done relatively well on dead tracks in the SC. However, he still isn't as great as Wasim who could swing it prodigiously both ways. Skills wise, Wasim. Steyn has also gotten slower so he's no longer what he once was

Im assuming this is Tests only? As in Odi's it's not even a competition.

and Wasim either way, for now...

Another idiotic comparison thread.

Akram had more skill in his index finger than Steyn has in his right hand.

This is like comparing Ponting and Hayden.
Both are different types of player.
Wasim is left handed and steyn is right handed bowler.
Steyn is on his way to become a legend while akram is a legend now...
And last Akram has edge over steyn because of his batting skills

And Steyn cannot take 400+ wickets thats my prediction. He will soon become predictable like anderson, harmison, etc.

This is like comparing Ponting and Hayden.
Both are different types of player.
Wasim is left handed and steyn is right handed bowler.
Steyn is on his way to become a legend while akram is a legend now...
And last Akram has edge over steyn because of his batting skills

And Steyn cannot take 400+ wickets thats my prediction. He will soon become predictable like anderson, harmison, etc.

Steyn has played enough cricket in different conditions. I don't know what you mean by being predictable. Anderson & Harminson were never in class of Steyn.

One to one comparison is not valid right now but I remember very few instances where Wasim ran through quality batting line up but Steyn has done it consistently. Steyn is still playing so I wait till he retires but based on what I have seen so far , he is up there with the best already.

Last edited:
Was Akram ever ranked one in the world at anytime in his career?

No, there were few bowlers who were better than him during his career. He did not consistently ran through quality batting line up. He was a magician with ball in hand and joy to watch but there were better performers than him during his career and that's the reason he was not the top bowler anytime.

Last edited:
Steyn averages 31 against lefties and that too playing half of his cricket on bowler friendly pitches.
No comparison at all! Akram is in a different league.

Steyn averages 31 against lefties and that too playing half of his cricket on bowler friendly pitches.
No comparison at all! Akram is in a different league.

How about averages of both when players were bearing a black bands? LOL. Just kidding but seriously if you are going to look up lefties and then look their performances against RHB as well. Also total average and strike rate takes account of everything.

Akaram was in different league based on what? Plenty of posters are saying this so it will be nice if some reasons are given. Akaram had more variety but in my opinion his performance does not put him in different league.

How about averages of both when players were bearing a black bands? LOL. Just kidding but seriously if you are going to look up lefties and then look their performances against RHB as well. Also total average and strike rate takes account of everything.

Akaram was in different league based on what? Plenty of posters are saying this so it will be nice if some reasons are given. Akaram had more variety but in my opinion his performance does not put him in different league.

Ok then why Steyn sucks in limited overs cricket? Add those stats up with the tests and you will get the ''total average''. Plus Akram played most of his cricket on dead tracks of sub-continents where as Steyn has the pleasure to play most of his cricket on bowler friendly pitches where bowlers like Philander perform like beasts. Stats come later mate.

Ok then why Steyn sucks in limited overs cricket? Add those stats up with the tests and you will get the ''total average''. Plus Akram played most of his cricket on dead tracks of sub-continents where as Steyn has the pleasure to play most of his cricket on bowler friendly pitches where bowlers like Philander perform like beasts. Stats come later mate.

why dont you cut this dead wicket crap? subcontinent pitches suit better for reverse swing. we all know how deadly Wasim and Waqar were on those abrasive pitches. Zaheer khan who is half as good as Wasim got so many wickets on dead pitches in the last several years. if you checks, most of them were through reverse swing.

like I said earlier Wasim is defenitely not in different league, this is very reasonable comparison. but I would pick Steyn in test and Wasim in ODIs.

for People who say Steyn playing most of the matches on bowler friendly wickets, then Kallis who have been scoring over 50+ on those same pitches should be the best ever batsman. is he best ever? no way.

Shifting the goal posts now are we? What's Wasim's record versus right handers? Everyone is quick to pull Steyn's record versus left handers, only because it was brought up by the poms during the test series. Why was this never an issue before? So please bring up Wasim's record versus right handers if you want your point to have any weight.

As for this dead pitch nonsense, please give it a rest. SC conditions are most favourable to reverse swing, and you're expecting to perform well in home conditions because you grew up playing there. Steyn has a brilliant record in India and Pakistan, just btw.

Wasim Akram was the better bowler and it isn't like he played his cricket in Marshall's era. The pitches and bats during Akram's time and today are very similar. The 90's is part of this era.

Wasim had a test average of 23 while playing mostly on the flat pitches of Pakistan and the sub-continent. Steyn plays most of his matches in SA, Eng and Aus. Wasim was also miles better in ODI's which are a part of cricket.

Better to not compare the two when Steyn is at his peak and would look to be the better bowler if compared to Wasim's bowling on Youtube. Steyn's average will most likely decrease by the time he retires.

why dont you cut this dead wicket crap? subcontinent pitches suit better for reverse swing. we all know how deadly Wasim and Waqar were on those abrasive pitches. Zaheer khan who is half as good as Wasim got so many wickets on dead pitches in the last several years. if you checks, most of them were through reverse swing.

like I said earlier Wasim is defenitely not in different league, this is very reasonable comparison. but I would pick Steyn in test and Wasim in ODIs.

for People who say Steyn playing most of the matches on bowler friendly wickets, then Kallis who have been scoring over 50+ on those same pitches should be the best ever batsman. is he best ever? no way.

Shifting the goal posts now are we? What's Wasim's record versus right handers? Everyone is quick to pull Steyn's record versus left handers, only because it was brought up by the poms during the test series. Why was this never an issue before? So please bring up Wasim's record versus right handers if you want your point to have any weight.

As for this dead pitch nonsense, please give it a rest. SC conditions are most favourable to reverse swing, and you're expecting to perform well in home conditions because you grew up playing there. Steyn has a brilliant record in India and Pakistan, just btw.

A fast bowler, especially one who relies on swing will always prefer the pitches in SA to those in Pakistan. Just because Wasim was good enough to master reverse-swing and be deadly in the sub-continent does not mean we should say that the pitches were a no-factor. Kallis has gotten used to playing in SA but that does not mean that South African pitches are more batsmen friendly than sub-continent pitches.

What is Wasim's average against right hander's anyway?

A fast bowler, especially one who relies on swing will always prefer the pitches in SA to those in Pakistan. Just because Wasim was good enough to master reverse-swing and be deadly in the sub-continent does not mean we should say that the pitches were a no-factor. Kallis has gotten used to playing in SA but that does not mean that South African pitches are more batsmen friendly than sub-continent pitches.

What is Wasim's average against right hander's anyway?

Plus Akram played most of his cricket on dead tracks of sub-continents where as Steyn has the pleasure to play most of his cricket on bowler friendly pitches where bowlers like Philander perform like beasts. Stats come later mate.

Wasim Akram was the better bowler and it isn't like he played his cricket in Marshall's era. The pitches and bats during Akram's time and today are very similar. The 90's is part of this era.

Wasim had a test average of 23 while playing mostly on the flat pitches of Pakistan and the sub-continent. Steyn plays most of his matches in SA, Eng and Aus. Wasim was also miles better in ODI's which are a part of cricket.

Check post # 44.

and Wasim's avg in bowling friendly Aus, Eng, SA - 27.72, Steyn's avg - 23.70

Last edited:
Check post #46.

Do you really want to compare the two sets of teams?

I replied that in post # 49. Which teams are being compared here? Was Pakistani batting weakest in the world from 85-99 so that pacers had better record there than in countries like NZ, India, Sri Lanka, Australia and SA? After all pitches were dead flat tracks and not everyone had mastered reverse swing. Batting has to be really awful for that to happen. I thought that was best period for Pakistani batting line-up. Do you consider Pakistani batting one of the worst during that period?

Last edited:
I replied that in post # 49. Which teams are being compared here? Was Pakistani batting weakest in the world from 85-99? I thought that was best period for Pakistani batting line-up.

The difference between the numbers against WI, NZ and Pak are minuscule. Australia were a stronger batting side but the numbers against the Saffers is interesting.

You can't be serious about sub-continental pitches being better for fast-bowlers than other pitches.

Back