Can Dale Steyn ever match the greatness of Wasim Akram?

If its not about numbers then the thread is basically useless , you will definitely ne biased towards the one you like.

Steyn should be considered greatest test bowler of all time for the same reason that Viv is considered the greatest ODI batsman of all time.

No one even comes close to him in this era, as far as test bowling is concerned.

Come on, SR of spinner with pacer ;)

About others, many do rate Steyn higher than handlee, Ambrose etc. I will wait for Steyn to hang his boot to put exact order.

Differences are fine. One can go either way.

Shouldn't have added Warne in the list though ;-)

Waqar isn't far off is he and he's bowled 400 less balls for 23 less wickets if Steyjs the greatest Waqar is number 2 Lool

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well here's the stats matey.

Venues away from home, Australia, New Zealand, West Indies, England.

Wasim: 39 matches, 174 wickets, 24 average, 55 strike rate 13 5wi, 4 10wm

Dale steyn: 17 matches, 77 wickets 27 average, 49 strike rate, 5 5wi, 1 10wm

is this post for real? :)))

For me what makes Steyn great is not just stats but match and series winning conditions in tough places or conditions. He has come up with some match changing spells on numerous occasions. I've lost count how many times he has looked innocuous only to change the complexion of the game in a 5 over spell.
He has done it in England, Australia, India, Pakistan, UAE. I'm not talking stats here. SA has won numerous matches from difficult positions based on Steyn's maverick spells

In fact, I rarely remember SA winning many outside of SA without Steyn doing those test/series winning spells. He has been instrumental in SA having such a great away record. As you said, he produces those 5 overs spell to change match and series.

Another stat you could look at is the best teams of there respective eras iv selected two from each.

Steyn vs England and Australia

25 matches
115 wickets
29.33 average

Wasim vs Australia and West Indies

30 matches
129 wickets
22 average
50 strike rate.

That's enough from me now.

Again, very convenient to ignore SA for Wasim and the best batting lineup for Steyn (India). I know Wasim didn't play SA enough but if you want to make comparisons, make fair ones by including all the relevant stats. Don't ignore some to suit your argument.

Again, very convenient to ignore SA for Wasim and the best batting lineup for Steyn (India). I know Wasim didn't play SA enough but if you want to make comparisons, make fair ones by including all the relevant stats. Don't ignore some to suit your argument.

As mention in my post the most dominant sides in each bowlers era. South Africa was in exile until 1992 wasim debuted in mid 80s Australia and West Indies was the best teams in his era. I am not making conveniences iv selected two of the best teams of each bowlers era, India was good for a period of couple years but undeniably England and Australia have been the better sides for the last decade since Steyns debut in 2005.

As mention in my post the most dominant sides in each bowlers era. South Africa was in exile until 1992 wasim debuted in mid 80s Australia and West Indies was the best teams in his era. I am not making conveniences iv selected two of the best teams of each bowlers era, India was good for a period of couple years but undeniably England and Australia have been the better sides for the last decade since Steyns debut in 2005.

I disagree. India until their decline in 2011 after the WC were better than England for the entire period. On pure batting terms it isn't even a contest. A lineup of Gambhir, Sehwag, Dravid, Sachin, VVS is far better than Strauss, Cook, Trott, KP, Bell. Even though Eng lineup is obviously good, India's was a completely different level. Surely you agree.

This is why it's unfair to ignore STeyn's achievements vs India. He has been stupendous against an ATG lineup.

There are very few bowlers capable of dismissing a strong Indian lineup for a sub 100 innings (especially the first innings) score in India. Steyn is one of them - he did that in 2008 - he was instrumental in SA shooting out India in 20 overs. The only other bowler who could be expected to do something similar was Marshall. NZ did it in 1999, but it wasn't a full strength Indian batting lineup. WI did that twice to a strong Indian batting lineup in the 80s and no other team apart from Steyn's team could repeat that.

So stats can't be used to judge Wasim in relation to Steyn because he was better than the numbers suggest but they can be used to criticize Steyn's record against Australia and England of which the former isn't even that bad? Lol.

No one has yet been able to explain to me how Steyn's record against AUs: 69 wickets in 14 matches @ avg of 27 is bad. Yet it keeps getting repeated as though his average is 45 or something.

Thats true, 14 matches is not an insubstantial sample size yet even if 27 is not great against his career average he has produced many defining spells in matches against Oz that have often resulted in series wins. It does seem as though **** PPers don't want to admit that Steyn IS without doubt at least as good as Waz, his record speaks for itself in an era that's not really been a very good one for bowlers.

ok let's cut Wasim some slack, lets exclude stats from "hell" i.e. Asia and as a sweetener we can include those from "heavenly" South Africa.
As for Dale exclude all stats from SA and include those from "hell" as you wish, and let's see what we come up with. So how has Dale done away?

Excluding their respective home countries and minnow countries from their stats, Wasim has a better average and better economy than Steyn. If you're someone who regards longevity highly, Wasim has also bowled in almost twice as many innings and has many more wickets. Steyn however, beats Wasim by a full ten points, as far as SR goes.

This shows to me that both of them are terrific bowlers, true ATGs but Wasim is slightly better.

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/player/47492.html?class=1;filter=advanced;home_or_away=2;home_or_away=3;host=1;host=2;host=27;host=4;host=5;host=6;host=7;host=8;orderby=default;template=results;type=bowling

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/player/43547.html?class=1;filter=advanced;home_or_away=2;home_or_away=3;host=1;host=2;host=3;host=4;host=5;host=6;host=8;orderby=default;template=results;type=bowling

Some Pakistani fans just can't fathom the fact that some dude from another nationality is greater than one of their own. I don't see what else Steyn can do to overtake Wasim in Tests, because for me, he's up there with the best. ODIs is a whole other story.

Not interested in stats and pictures comparing him with other greats - I have watched him enough to form my opinion.

He is an ATG in tests but will always be below Akram, McGrath, Ambrose, etc.

Clearly a rung below the other legendary bowlers when you consider all formats. In Tests alone, he is arguably the best ever.

He is just too one-dimensional, has nothing apart from a vicious out-swinger and is quite good when there is reverse-swing.

Can't bowl in-swingers with the new ball and doesn't have a great yorker and bouncer either. In Limited Overs, he is very predictable.

he was never a great LOI bowler to begin with :ab

In tests even, I've seen Wasim having bad days and being carted around but he always had that one spell or one over when he'd dominate. Most importantly, team always looked up to him for inspiration under pressure. Steyn doesnt have that kind of aura to lift the spirits of the team with one spell and for that I'd always rate him below Wasim !

Clearly a rung below the other legendary bowlers when you consider all formats. In Tests alone, he is arguably the best ever.

He is just too one-dimensional, has nothing apart from a vicious out-swinger and is quite good when there is reverse-swing.

Can't bowl in-swingers with the new ball and doesn't have a great yorker and bouncer either. In Limited Overs, he is very predictable.

How many great LOI bowlers do you remember post Brett-Lee who were not chuckers?

In fact if anything, he has managed to somehow hold his own in a ridiculously batting friendly era (especially in LOI's) Not a great LOI bowler for sure, but not rubbish like Thomson, Marshall etc in the format either.

I've always maintained that he isn't above the legendary bowlers of yester years like Wasim.

Don't start posting spreadsheets here as cricket isn't played or watched on paper.

His skillset is too one dimensional, he has taken advantage of bad techniques of today's era batsmen in Tests with his outswingers, and didn't make enough of an impact in LOIs.

Dare I say Amir has a better skillset than Steyn and a far higher ceiling as well as to where he can end up among ATGs. His bowling is magical.

Not putting down Steyn, he's a great of this era certainly.

Last edited:
One dimensional is the word that comes to mind when i think of him. He has the best outswinger in the history of the game. Thats about it.

One dimensional is the word that comes to mind when i think of him. He has the best outswinger in the history of the game. Thats about it.

Sigh. Why do Pakistanis think that only their players can be exciting and magical etc ?

Sigh. Why do Pakistanis think that only their players can be exciting and magical etc ?

I think there are lots of other bowlers who are exciting and magical from england , australia, Nz and south africa. Steyn is also exciting because of his outswinger and early on in his career he was exciting due to his pace as well but with him you almost know what you are getting every ball. He is predictable but Its just that his outswinger is too good to be negotiated easily. Never did i once mentioned he is a bad bowler. He is an ATG already in tests. But just above average in LOIs.

Some Pakistani fans just can't fathom the fact that some dude from another nationality is greater than one of their own. I don't see what else Steyn can do to overtake Wasim in Tests, because for me, he's up there with the best. ODIs is a whole other story.

I saw thread which went something like "Boult vs Amir vs Starc". And 90% of replies by Pakistanis were something like "Dont compare trundlers like Boult and Starc to Amir". :facepalm:

I saw thread which went something like "Boult vs Amir vs Starc". And 90% of replies by Pakistanis were something like "Dont compare trundlers like Boult and Starc to Amir". :facepalm:

90%? Thats a lot of posters

Whenever i come across a thread comparing a Pakistani bowler with a non-Pakistani bowler, i am like

images (5).jpg

Have an average of 0 and strike rate of 1 with the ball.

Bowling in a pace bowling paradise like South Africa, for 50% of your matches, does that to you.

Had Steyn been born in one of the subcon countries, he would have been lucky to be a fast bowler, forget about being a legendary one.

Batsmen from the subcon are inferior to batsmen outside of it, due to batting in friendly conditions, most of the time. The opposite is true of pace bowlers.

Then why do you think Kohli is a FTB? Since he nearly has 2 hundreds in the same test in SA.

How many great LOI bowlers do you remember post Brett-Lee who were not chuckers?

In fact if anything, he has managed to somehow hold his own in a ridiculously batting friendly era (especially in LOI's) Not a great LOI bowler for sure, but not rubbish like Thomson, Marshall etc in the format either.

Starc, Malinga, Gul, Morkel are/were all great ODI bowlers in their peak and clearly better than Steyn.

Even Boult was better than Steyn, before he lost his mojo because of injury.

Steyn is a better Test bowler than Wasim, Imran and Waqar. No doubt.

I'd rate Marshall, Waqar, Ambrose, Imran, Wasim a couple others above him. I think he can make the top 10, maybe top 8 all time in Tests. But it is still debatable whether or not he's better than Allan Donald. I thought he was but when you look at the quality of batsmen Donald faced vs Steyn, you'd say Donald is better.

Yes comditions in the 80s and 90s were bowler friendly, but the batsmen had much better technique than nowadays. Steyn deserves more credit but I don't think he's in top 5 best of all time.

Where would you place him?

I'd rate Marshall, Waqar, Ambrose, Imran, Wasim a couple others above him. I think he can make the top 10, maybe top 8 all time in Tests. But it is still debatable whether or not he's better than Allan Donald. I thought he was but when you look at the quality of batsmen Donald faced vs Steyn, you'd say Donald is better.

Yes comditions in the 80s and 90s were bowler friendly, but the batsmen had much better technique than nowadays. Steyn deserves more credit but I don't think he's in top 5 best of all time.

Overall, I would put him in the same class as Donald and perhaps Bob Willis.

Fantastic pacer but not in the league of Marshall, Lillee, Hadlee, McGrath, Holding, Ambrose, Imran, Wasim, Waqar.

There is something missing from Steyn bowling or perhaps personality, that makes it difficult for me to consider him better or even at the same level as those bowlers, if we consider all formats and performances in World Cups etc.

In Tests alone, he is a tremendous bowler. Arguably the modern-day Marshall.

Lol really??? This wasn't your opinion a couple years ago.

That was couple years ago, but now I have come to the conclusion that in Tests alone, Steyn is second to none and arguably as good as Malcolm Marshall.

However, it is also important to see how he ends his career. If he lingers on for 2-3 years past his sell-by date, he could hurt his legacy.

Personally, I really don't enjoy his bowling, but it is difficult to argue with his achievements in Tests.

That was couple years ago, but now I have come to the conclusion that in Tests alone, Steyn is second to none and arguably as good as Malcolm Marshall.

However, it is also important to see how he ends his career. If he lingers on for 2-3 years past his sell-by date, he could hurt his legacy.

Personally, I really don't enjoy his bowling, but it is difficult to argue with his achievements in Tests.

Yeah he has achieved a lot, but that extra bit of Magic is missing at times. Maybe it's because he's South African that he doesn't get more credit.
I always use peak ability and stats when judging how great a player truly was.
Career averages can be very misleading.
I think Marshall and Waqar were the deadliest ever fast bowlers based on their ability at their peaks. And of you look at Wasim from 1990-1997 he averaged 20 and had a SR 46, which is much better than his career 54.6. So I'd rate Wasim higher than Steyn as well though Wasim did underperform in Tests.

It'll be interesting to see how Steyn measures up to the greats after his retirement. For me he is the greatest of this generation but not as skilled as the top 5/6 all time fast bowlers.

He's in the top 5 pacers of all time in tests. Imo only Marshall, McGrath and Hadlee are ones I would definitively rank higher.

In ODIs, he has never been great. His natural length is one which is very hittable in LOIs. Don't know why people are surprised when he gets smashed. It's not something new.

He's in the top 5 pacers of all time in tests. Imo only Marshall, McGrath and Hadlee are ones I would definitively rank higher.

In ODIs, he has never been great. His natural length is one which is very hittable in LOIs. Don't know why people are surprised when he gets smashed. It's not something new.
You'd still expect a bowler of his class to do better.
I think he should quit limited overs cricket now so he can play another 15-20 Tests.
He has one more year in him before he really starts declining. (The decline may already have begun, we will see in his next test series)

Also, it may matter on online forums, but lots of people simply do not care how good you are in ODIs as long as you are phenomenal in tests. ATGs are always judged on tests first. Marshall wasnt anywhere near as good in ODIs as he was in tests, yet he's still rightfully regarded the greatest pacer ever. It's pretty similar for Steyn. I don't think it'll hurt his legacy that he's not been great in ODIs.

So you're indirectly proving our point that he's very one dimensional and lacking in skillset.

If he can only bowl one length to get that outswing going. If not, he'll be smashed.

Only Marshall and perhaps McGrath are better than Steyn in Tests.

Dale Steyn equals Wasim's tally of test wickets - 414.

Wasim 104 tests - 414 wickets. Played around 20% more tests than Steyn.

Steyn 84 tests - 415 wickets and still going strong.
Where will he be with 20 more tests?

All in era where batsmen are dominating. We are probably seeing the greatest test bowler in history. He has won so many test with his spells that I don't even remember SA winning without Steyn firing.

Last edited:
Steyn when he finishes may well be the greatest bowler ever. It's not that bowlers like Boult, Broad, Amir, Anderson et al are average. They're damn good but they just show how tough it is to average 22 odd in this era. It's understandable that people would say Wasims superior since it's a pak forum but there's no doubt that Steyn is indeed better, tho not by my much (when considering poorer umpiring, dropped catches and etc. for Wasim)

Still for me McGrath will always remain notch above everyone else

Greatest fast bowler ever after Marshall.

Steyn >>> W's, McGrath, Botham, Lillee, Hadlee, Kapil etc.

Just bcoz he is a SA player...he does not get the hype.

Wasim 104 tests - 414 wickets. Played around 20% more tests than Steyn.

Steyn 84 tests - 415 wickets and still going strong.
Where will he be with 20 more tests?

All in era where batsmen are dominating. We are probably seeing the greatest test bowler in history. He has won so many test with his spells that I don't even remember SA winning without Steyn firing.

He does play on more friendly wickets and actually to be fair he is the first one to admit that (has said this a few times regarding comparison with Waqar on the strike rate)

But yes he has surpassed Wasim in Tests in my book

He's the greatest bowler I have ever seen play. The way he bowls those out swingers is top notch.

Many Pakistanis will still have Wasim as the better test bowler because they are biased but for me Steyn is better and has been for a while.

Only Marshall and perhaps McGrath are better than Steyn in Tests.

Many rate Marshall very highly but to be honest I think Steyn may have just surpassed him. Only in longevity does Pidge have an edge on Steyn too. Thus guy has been a one man demolition machine.

Still for me McGrath will always remain notch above everyone else

Yes even I think this might be the case. Also Pidge and Steyngun played on flat decks against big bats so they are for me the greatest bowlers in the history of the game.

Not a better sight than seeing Steyn injury-free and in full flow. Good to have him back.

He is in the GOAT conversation with Marshall, McGrath, Hadlee and Ambrose.

Waz is an ATG in Tests and in the GOAT debate for ODIs but not in the conversation for Test GOAT.

Last edited:
Yes in tests .
No way in limited overs . My build a little legacy in that format if he wins a worldcup with southafrica .
Over all peers and pundits would rate Akram higher for various reasons.

He does play on more friendly wickets and actually to be fair he is the first one to admit that (has said this a few times regarding comparison with Waqar on the strike rate)

But yes he has surpassed Wasim in Tests in my book
And when Wasim played on those good pitches, he was terrible. Steyn has been outstandinf everywhere. Also SA has lot of flat pitches where SA posted mamoth totals.

Steyn > Wasim in tests and Wasim > Steyn in ODIs..

This, coming from a die hard fan of both... However, if I were to select a team, I'd still have Wasim over Steyn as I will choose McGrath as my right arm seam bowler..

Steyn > Wasim in tests and Wasim > Steyn in ODIs..

This, coming from a die hard fan of both... However, if I were to select a team, I'd still have Wasim over Steyn as I will choose McGrath as my right arm seam bowler..

Exactly, as a right arm Steyn isn't the best but Wasim for me is the best left arm pacer,eventhough in tests Steyn has surpassed Wasim in tests.

He is in the GOAT conversation with Marshall, McGrath, Hadlee and Ambrose.

Waz is an ATG in Tests and in the GOAT debate for ODIs but not in the conversation for Test GOAT.

He is defn GOAT in ODIs agree on other stuff.

Congratulations Steyn, this is quite an achievement. Sachin played Steyn better but struggled against McGrath so McGrath for me too.

that is debatable. mcgra,donald, garner all have their rights to be claimed as goat in odi.

Naw not for me,Wasim is GOAT ODI bowler he not only had a long career but also kept evolving himself,remarkable bowler.

I'll take Wasim any day of the week over Steyn. Steyn might have better numbers but I have seen him struggle numerous times with the older ball and when the ball wasn't doing much. Unless of course zippers and fingernails come into play. Wasim was a much more well-rounded bowler and someone who could unsettle even set batsmen regardless of the ball and conditions.

Marshall
McGrath
Ambrose
Hadlee
Wasim

Those are the top five Test bowlers for mine.

People are missing a very important point here. Yes the pitches are flat these days but so are the batsmanship when compared to 90s. LOIs influenced a lot of test cricketer's techniques. It's probably a bit easier to sneak the ball between bat and pad in this era than 90s.

I'm not taking anything away from Steyn. He's definitely a ATG.

I'll take Wasim any day of the week over Steyn. Steyn might have better numbers but I have seen him struggle numerous times with the older ball and when the ball wasn't doing much. Unless of course zippers and fingernails come into play. Wasim was a much more well-rounded bowler and someone who could unsettle even set batsmen regardless of the ball and conditions.

Marshall
McGrath
Ambrose
Hadlee
Wasim

Those are the top five Test bowlers for mine.
I have seen them both and I remember Wasim to struggle more than any other so called ATG bowlers of the last 25 years. There were times Mcgrath, Donald, Stryn etc struggled but Wasim struggled ouside of Pakistan and against better teams. That explains why he didnt get as many wickets as Mcgrath, Stryn etc

People are missing a very important point here. Yes the pitches are flat these days but so are the batsmanship when compared to 90s. LOIs influenced a lot of test cricketer's techniques. It's probably a bit easier to sneak the ball between bat and pad in this era than 90s.

I'm not taking anything away from Steyn. He's definitely a ATG.

I'm not buying the batting was stronger in 90s argument at all. England, Sri Lanka, New Zealand were very very poor lineups in the 90s. So were India. Apart from Sachin no one had hit their peak, and we had pathetic batsmen like MSK Prasad and Vikram Rathore. Dravid only debuted in 96-97 and didn't hit his peak till 2000s. While in mid-late 2000s, India had all of Sehwag, Gambhir, Tendulkar, Dravid, Laxman with most of them in peak form.

Australia and West Indies were far stronger, but none of the other teams have worse batting lineups at all.

Back