Choose your top candidate for the Premier League Manager of the season 2023-24?

Choose your top candidate for the Premier League Manager of the season 2023-24?

• Mikel Arteta

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Andoni Iraola

• Someone else

• Total voters

The Bald Eagle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
EPL title race started in a fatal four manner then it got reduced down to three horse race and now it's just a contest between an old boss and apprentice. But the big question is who you believed to be the best this season and who in your opinion should be honored with this title?

Klopp the Flop
Arteta the Choketa
Pep "tiki taka" Guardialo
U & I Emery

Whom do you fancy as the winner this once?

Although I love Arteta for what he has done with Arsenal, I cannot ignore Emery for his spirit!

Unai Emery is a great tactician but sometimes when he gets a rough patch he fails to get over it at all and in the end gets sacked prematurely.

His current thrashing at the hands of Olympiacos is an example of it.

Humbled and destroyed by Olympiacos. They have truly showed Villa and Emery their station.

@shaz619 do you think Emery’s job could be in trouble next season? Villa is unlikely to continue to stay in the top four next season because Chelsea, United, Spurs and even Newcastle will probably be stronger than they were this season and Aston Villa will be the whipping boys in the UCL. It will be a miracle if you get past the group stage, Aston Villa is clearly not at the level of UCL teams.

A season of stagnation awaits Villa so it will be interesting to see if they decide to get someone with fresh ideas. Emery had hit his ceiling at Villa.

Humbled and destroyed by Olympiacos. They have truly showed Villa and Emery their station.

@shaz619 do you think Emery’s job could be in trouble next season? Villa is unlikely to continue to stay in the top four next season because Chelsea, United, Spurs and even Newcastle will probably be stronger than they were this season and Aston Villa will be the whipping boys in the UCL. It will be a miracle if you get past the group stage, Aston Villa is clearly not at the level of UCL teams.

A season of stagnation awaits Villa so it will be interesting to see if they decide to get someone with fresh ideas. Emery had hit his ceiling at Villa.

Unai has already achieved far more than any Villa manager for like nearly 10 years. We’re well ahead of schedule which is why they’ve extended his deal I don’t know if you got the memo on that one lol. Going from relegation to Europe in the same season was nuts, and now competing for the top 4, not to mention, bending over Arteta and making him work for the EPL title. Our expectations given the funding/resource available are not going to be the same as City’s, so with that in mind I find it odd that anybody could criticise him, if we’re not in Europe then I think that would be concerning. I don’t care if they were to show up in the UCL and kiss everyone goodbye in their first match, I don’t think the smaller clubs understand what that would mean, but that’s not a foregone conclusion yet, we’ve struggled with form and fitness at this late stage and lack confidence without Martinez

What schedule though?

Aston Villa has no ambition and resources to fight for the PL title and they don’t have the resources to be a UCL club either because they cannot compete with any of the traditional top 6 + Newcastle financially.

Aston Villa will be content to finish anywhere between 5th and 10th like they always have been in the PL era. That is their ceiling unless they are sold to owners with very deep pockets.

But I think that after this season, Aston Villa fans will feel entitled to another top four finish next season and it will be extremely difficult because the financially stronger clubs that missed out this season will come back stronger and Emery might find himself under hot water.

He has done some great things for Villa and has proved to be their best manager since Martin O’ Neill, but things change quickly in football and the goodwill doesn’t last long.

Moyes was asked to leave even though he won West Ham a European trophy last season.

I think it also says a lot about the ambition of Emery if he is happy to stay at Villa in the prime of his coaching career, a club that will never have the ambition and the resources to fight for the league title or try and win the UCL.

This adds further credence to the argument that Emery hasn’t got the chops to manage a big club with lofty expectations after his disastrous tenures at PSG and Arsenal.

The schedule was to be in Europe regardless off the level and we’re there, so it’s about being consistent for us now that’s the challenge with the resources at our disposal which I think Unai has utilised effectively so far. 8th-10th is no longer something which is desirable, the aim in the near term is to be consistently in Europe so at the minimum top 7, I think 6th or 7th gets you the UCL. So with that in mind, we’re over achieving to be in the conversation for the Champions League. They’re on a learning curve and will need to obviously adjust to increasing demands where able, so I don’t disagree that he has his task cut out for him, so it doesn’t make sense when you say he doesn’t have the chops and what not, you saw how the chosen one Stevie G found managing Villa, it’s a challenge for Unai and he has to protect the club’s heritage and his own reputation to, and especially critics from his former PL club, some of that he silenced I think because Arteta losing to Unai might end up being pretty damaging for you.

The schedule was to be in Europe regardless off the level and we’re there, so it’s about being consistent for us now that’s the challenge with the resources at our disposal which I think Unai has utilised effectively so far. 8th-10th is no longer something which is desirable, the aim in the near term is to be consistently in Europe so at the minimum top 7, I think 6th or 7th gets you the UCL. So with that in mind, we’re over achieving to be in the conversation for the Champions League. They’re on a learning curve and will need to obviously adjust to increasing demands where able, so I don’t disagree that he has his task cut out for him, so it doesn’t make sense when you say he doesn’t have the chops and what not, you saw how the chosen one Stevie G found managing Villa, it’s a challenge for Unai and he has to protect the club’s heritage and his own reputation to, and especially critics from his former PL club, some of that he silenced I think because Arteta losing to Unai might end up being pretty damaging for you.
Unai Emery is in the prime of his career and yet he finds himself at a club that doesn’t have the ambition or the resources to fight for the title and compete in the UCL and will deem finishing anywhere between 5th and 8th a success.

This clearly shows that not only does he lack the ambition and the confidence to take on a big job but he is also not rated highly by the top clubs in Europe.

If Emery was a highly rated manager, it would have been impossible for Villa to keep him at the club beyond this season and convince him to extend his contract because so many big clubs will be looking for a new manager soon:

Barcelona, Bayern, Liverpool, United, Juventus and perhaps Chelsea as well. These clubs would have been all over Emery and Emery and his agent would have been twerking to these clubs now if he had the chops to take on a big job.

But the fact that he extended his contract shows that he and his representatives that Aston Villa’s ambitions and expectations align with his abilities as a manager so it is a perfect match.

He doesn’t want to get exposed again like he did at PSG and Arsenal.

Emery is not at Villa to repair his reputation. He already did that when he won the Europa League with Villareal in 2021. He is at Villa because this is his level and he is not rated or wanted by the big clubs.

There is no point in comparing him to Arteta because Arteta is thriving in the same role that Emery fumbled, and he did it without any prior experience while Emery had 15 years of managerial experience before taking the Arsenal job.

Arteta is clearly in a different class. He is a top tier manager while Emery is one of the many managers who are very good but don’t have what it takes to manage big jobs.

Well he still has a chance, but for that City needs to drop some point​

=======

My brain takes me to Arsenal lifting title - Arteta​

There is only one thing on Mikel Arteta's mind as he prepares title-chasing Arsenal for their penultimate game of the season against Manchester United.

Unai Emery is in the prime of his career and yet he finds himself at a club that doesn’t have the ambition or the resources to fight for the title and compete in the UCL and will deem finishing anywhere between 5th and 8th a success.

This clearly shows that not only does he lack the ambition and the confidence to take on a big job but he is also not rated highly by the top clubs in Europe.

If Emery was a highly rated manager, it would have been impossible for Villa to keep him at the club beyond this season and convince him to extend his contract because so many big clubs will be looking for a new manager soon:

Barcelona, Bayern, Liverpool, United, Juventus and perhaps Chelsea as well. These clubs would have been all over Emery and Emery and his agent would have been twerking to these clubs now if he had the chops to take on a big job.

But the fact that he extended his contract shows that he and his representatives that Aston Villa’s ambitions and expectations align with his abilities as a manager so it is a perfect match.

He doesn’t want to get exposed again like he did at PSG and Arsenal.

Emery is not at Villa to repair his reputation. He already did that when he won the Europa League with Villareal in 2021. He is at Villa because this is his level and he is not rated or wanted by the big clubs.

There is no point in comparing him to Arteta because Arteta is thriving in the same role that Emery fumbled, and he did it without any prior experience while Emery had 15 years of managerial experience before taking the Arsenal job.

Arteta is clearly in a different class. He is a top tier manager while Emery is one of the many managers who are very good but don’t have what it takes to manage big jobs.

You can get to your point in a few sentences, Unai still bent him over and seriously threatened your title hopes. He’s overachieving already and raising expectations, there’s little to critique and it’s a bit thick to say manager x is poor because you have affection for Arteta doesn’t make any sense

You can get to your point in a few sentences, Unai still bent him over and seriously threatened your title hopes. He’s overachieving already and raising expectations, there’s little to critique and it’s a bit thick to say manager x is poor because you have affection for Arteta doesn’t make any sense
No world class player in his prime will play for Villa in 2024.

No world class coach in his prime will coach Villa in 2024.

No world class player in his prime will play for Villa in 2024.

No world class coach in his prime will coach Villa in 2024.

These opinions are pointless, Villa fans are largely happy with their team this season and the manager, your opinion would suggest otherwise but it’s misguided. Having said that, Watkins has been one of the best players in the PL and Unai bent over a so called prime world class coach twice, just like how Babar will awake with a sore bum tomorrow, Arteta might join him to :yk3

These opinions are pointless, Villa fans are largely happy with their team this season and the manager, your opinion would suggest otherwise but it’s misguided. Having said that, Watkins has been one of the best players in the PL and Unai bent over a so called prime world class coach twice :yk3
This is only the second season where Watkins has emerged as one of the best strikers in the division.

Unless he is a die hard Villa fan which apparently he wasn’t because he was an Arsenal fan growing up, Villa will find it hard to keep him at the club beyond next season if he continues to develop like this.

He will end up as the next Grealish and eventually sold for a huge fee.

But players and coaches are different. Players coming through the system have an affinity for their club but this doesn’t apply to a foreigner manager.

Villa is just another club in the long list of clubs that Emery has managed and the fact that he is at Villa in the prime of his career and has extended his contract says everything that needs to be said about his own ambition and how the top clubs around the world view him.

This is only the second season where Watkins has emerged as one of the best strikers in the division.

Unless he is a die hard Villa fan which apparently he wasn’t because he was an Arsenal fan growing up, Villa will find it hard to keep him at the club beyond next season if he continues to develop like this.

He will end up as the next Grealish and eventually sold for a huge fee.

But players and coaches are different. Players coming through the system have an affinity for their club but this doesn’t apply to a foreigner manager.

Villa is just another club in the long list of clubs that Emery has managed and the fact that he is at Villa in the prime of his career and has extended his contract says everything that needs to be said about his own ambition and how the top clubs around the world view him.

You said no world class player will play for them, but that’s incorrect at this time. It is likely he could get sold but that hasn’t happened at this stage and he has done the job for us for a good couple of years, more than what we could hope for in this market. What point are you making with managers and having an affinity with the club? he’s doing well for the club and signed a long term deal, just because where we are resource wise, it doesn’t necessarily prove a lack of ambition, we don’t want to be a mid table team and we were ruthless in sacking Dean Smith if you know how revered a figure he was. You praise Arteta and Arsenal for getting him a long rope, we want some stability to but wont settle for poor results or going back to where we was, that’s not a cushion though

You said no world class player will play for them, but that’s incorrect at this time. It is likely he could get sold but that hasn’t happened at this stage and he has done the job for us for a good couple of years, more than what we could hope for in this market. What point are you making with managers and having an affinity with the club? he’s doing well for the club and signed a long term deal, just because where we are resource wise, it doesn’t necessarily prove a lack of ambition, we don’t want to be a mid table team and we were ruthless in sacking Dean Smith if you know how revered a figure he was. You praise Arteta and Arsenal for getting him a long rope, we want some stability to but wont settle for poor results or going back to where we was, that’s not a cushion though
It is not incorrect at this time because Watkins has not proved himself to be a world class striker.

You can’t be world class based on one season. He is pushing 28 and he has had only one season in his career where he has scored 25+ goals. He is a million miles away from being world class.

But it is true that he has proved to be one of the best strikers in the league over the past 12-18 months and if he keeps this up for another 12 months or so, it will be difficult for Villa to keep him at the club.

My point is very simple. I am not calling out Aston Villa for their lack of ambition. Aston Villa’s lack of ambition is tied to their lack of resources to compete for the title and the UCL.

Aston Villa knows its position in the food chain. It is not one of the big 6 of contemporary English football and won’t be unless they are sold off to owners with deeper pockets.

The lack of ambition is directed towards Emery. Surely, if he was a top notch manager, why would he be staying at Villa beyond this season let alone sign a new contract that keeps him at the club until 2027?

It simply doesn’t add up. He is not a former Villa player or someone who has history with the club. If he was as good as some say, Aston Villa would have had a very hard time keeping him at the club considering how many top clubs around Europe are looking for new managers.

A top tier manager will not stay at a club in the prime years of his career that doesn’t have the resources to fight for the league and the UCL. Villa is being praised for having a season that can get a manager sacked at a big club.

This shows that either Emery has failed to interest the top clubs in Europe who clearly don’t view him as a top tier manager or Emery himself is comfortable in this cocoon of Aston Villa where the expectations and pressure are nowhere near that of a big club that is attempting to win the league.

Aston Villa fans will be content if they finish anywhere between 5th and 8th and have a decent crack in domestic cups and perhaps this is the type of environment that Emery prefers after getting exposed at PSG and Arsenal. Clearly, those jobs were too big for him.

It is not incorrect at this time because Watkins has not proved himself to be a world class striker.

You can’t be world class based on one season. He is pushing 28 and he has had only one season in his career where he has scored 25+ goals. He is a million miles away from being world class.

But it is true that he has proved to be one of the best strikers in the league over the past 12-18 months and if he keeps this up for another 12 months or so, it will be difficult for Villa to keep him at the club.

My point is very simple. I am not calling out Aston Villa for their lack of ambition. Aston Villa’s lack of ambition is tied to their lack of resources to compete for the title and the UCL.

Aston Villa knows its position in the food chain. It is not one of the big 6 of contemporary English football and won’t be unless they are sold off to owners with deeper pockets.

The lack of ambition is directed towards Emery. Surely, if he was a top notch manager, why would he be staying at Villa beyond this season let alone sign a new contract that keeps him at the club until 2027?

It simply doesn’t add up. He is not a former Villa player or someone who has history with the club. If he was as good as some say, Aston Villa would have had a very hard time keeping him at the club considering how many top clubs around Europe are looking for new managers.

A top tier manager will not stay at a club in the prime years of his career that doesn’t have the resources to fight for the league and the UCL. Villa is being praised for having a season that can get a manager sacked at a big club.

This shows that either Emery has failed to interest the top clubs in Europe who clearly don’t view him as a top tier manager or Emery himself is comfortable in this cocoon of Aston Villa where the expectations and pressure are nowhere near that of a big club that is attempting to win the league.

Aston Villa fans will be content if they finish anywhere between 5th and 8th and have a decent crack in domestic cups and perhaps this is the type of environment that Emery prefers after getting exposed at PSG and Arsenal. Clearly, those jobs were too big for him.

So he will go the way of Grealish / get picked up but is not world class right now lol

I think he has shown plenty of ambition:

- Exceeding Villa’s expectations by getting to Europe
- Wanting to work for one of English football’s elites, a genuine big club / former CL winner
- Bending over Arteta aka the second coming of the Catalonian Baldylocks in head to head combat

It’s silly to think a return to the EPL is something any manager would consider light work, managing Arsenal might be an exception when you consider the long rope some fans have given Arteta

So he will go the way of Grealish / get picked up but is not world class right now lol

I think he has shown plenty of ambition:

- Exceeding Villa’s expectations by getting to Europe
- Wanting to work for one of English football’s elites, a genuine big club / former CL winner
- Bending over Arteta aka the second coming of the Catalonian Baldylocks in head to head combat

It’s silly to think a return to the EPL is something any manager would consider light work, managing Arsenal might be an exception when you consider the long rope some fans have given Arteta
How can a 28 year old striker be considered world class when he has had only one prolific season in his entire career?

World class strikers/forwards are the likes of Kane, Haaland, Mbappe, Lewandowski etc. not Watkins.

Watkins is very good right now, but you need to do it for a few seasons consistently to be considered world class.

He will go the Grealish way if he can keep this up for another season. If not, he will be seen as a one hit wonder who got back to his normal level after a short peak.

Aston Villa is a far from an English football elite and a genuinely big club. They are miles off.

Yes they have a rich history and a traditionally successful club, but they are a mid-tier club in contemporary football and they are nowhere near the top of the food chain.

Which means that Aston Villa will not be competing for the PL or the UCL in the near or distant future unless they are sold to a new owner with deeper pockets.

No top manager would want to be at such a club at this point, a club that will not give him the opportunity and the resources to win the league and the UCL.

You draw out a list of the top 10-15 managers in the world right now and none of them would want to be at Aston Villa. This is not a dig at Aston Villa but an acceptance of where they stand.

Villa fans are obsessed with Arteta because Arteta is where Emery wanted to be and Villa fans are thriving under an Arsenal reject.

Arteta bent Emery over when he thrived in the same job and turned things around for Arsenal where Emery soiled his trousers and got booted out.

That is where the debate ended between the two. Emery didn’t have the chops to get Arsenal back on track. Arteta did, and he did it even though he had no prior experience which shows that he has a far greater ceiling as manager.

You offer both Arteta and Emery to any top club in Europe right now and every single one of them would pick Arteta.

So what if he beat him in a few h2h games? Some managers/teams can prove to be your bogeyman.

Pep has been getting humiliated at Spurs for years but he is a far better manager than any Spurs manager in this period.

Couple of seasons ago, Nuno did the double on Pep. Does that make Nuno a better tactician/manager? Of course not.

The way Emery plays might not suit to the way Arteta want to play. It is not a good match up for Arteta so far, but the job that Arteta is doing at Arsenal is the exact job that Emery failed to do at Arsenal and that sums up the comparison.

How can a 28 year old striker be considered world class when he has had only one prolific season in his entire career?

World class strikers/forwards are the likes of Kane, Haaland, Mbappe, Lewandowski etc. not Watkins.

Watkins is very good right now, but you need to do it for a few seasons consistently to be considered world class.

He will go the Grealish way if he can keep this up for another season. If not, he will be seen as a one hit wonder who got back to his normal level after a short peak.

Aston Villa is a far from an English football elite and a genuinely big club. They are miles off.

Yes they have a rich history and a traditionally successful club, but they are a mid-tier club in contemporary football and they are nowhere near the top of the food chain.

Which means that Aston Villa will not be competing for the PL or the UCL in the near or distant future unless they are sold to a new owner with deeper pockets.

No top manager would want to be at such a club at this point, a club that will not give him the opportunity and the resources to win the league and the UCL.

You draw out a list of the top 10-15 managers in the world right now and none of them would want to be at Aston Villa. This is not a dig at Aston Villa but an acceptance of where they stand.

Villa fans are obsessed with Arteta because Arteta is where Emery wanted to be and Villa fans are thriving under an Arsenal reject.

Arteta bent Emery over when he thrived in the same job and turned things around for Arsenal where Emery soiled his trousers and got booted out.

That is where the debate ended between the two. Emery didn’t have the chops to get Arsenal back on track. Arteta did, and he did it even though he had no prior experience which shows that he has a far greater ceiling as manager.

You offer both Arteta and Emery to any top club in Europe right now and every single one of them would pick Arteta.

So what if he beat him in a few h2h games? Some managers/teams can prove to be your bogeyman.

Pep has been getting humiliated at Spurs for years but he is a far better manager than any Spurs manager in this period.

Couple of seasons ago, Nuno did the double on Pep. Does that make Nuno a better tactician/manager? Of course not.

The way Emery plays might not suit to the way Arteta want to play. It is not a good match up for Arteta so far, but the job that Arteta is doing at Arsenal is the exact job that Emery failed to do at Arsenal and that sums up the comparison.

You spewed the idea he will get snapped up so that contradict’s the view he isn’t world class, this type of form commands attention, if other teams think like you do few more seasons blah blah and I really hope they do, we will get to keep him for longer.

Nobody can compete with your obsession with Arteta, you’re unfairly criticising Unai, but I thought I’d remind you he bent Arteta over in a head to head, the sort of contests which you put a lot of stock in.

What Unai did or didn’t do for Arsenal is irrelevant, he’s back in the PL and hopefully will continue the good work for Villa.

Arteta is getting a free hand and long rope which managers seldom get in modern footy, but you’re acting like you’ve won the top flight title and CL multiple times lol

I didn’t realise Arteta is in the top 10 managers in the world, is this what Arsenal fans consider 🤔

You spewed the idea he will get snapped up so that contradict’s the view he isn’t world class, this type of form commands attention, if other teams think like you do few more seasons blah blah and I really hope they do, we will get to keep him for longer.
I said he will get snapped up if he can keep this up for another season. He has been excellent this season but you can’t expect the top clubs to make a beeline for him when he has had one good season by the age of 28.
Nobody can compete with your obsession with Arteta, you’re unfairly criticising Unai, but I thought I’d remind you he bent Arteta over in a head to head, the sort of contests which you put a lot of stock in.

What Unai did or didn’t do for Arsenal is irrelevant, he’s back in the PL and hopefully will continue the good work for Villa.
Of course it is not irrelevant. How can you expect Arsenal or PSG fans to rate him? He was a disaster for both clubs. He wasted 2 years for Paris and 18 months for Arsenal.

Arsenal could have just appointed Arteta straight after Wenger and Arsenal could have been PL champions by now, because Arteta wouldn’t have to clean up the mess Emery created.
Arteta is getting a free hand and long rope which managers seldom get in modern footy, but you’re acting like you’ve won the top flight title and CL multiple times lol
Managers get long rope when you are showing progression and you can convince the fans and the board that club is heading in the right direction.

Compare Arsenal to where they were when Emery got kicked out in December 2019 and where they are now and you can clearly see the massive difference that Arteta has made and if you can’t see it then there is something wrong with you.

Arteta took over a team with average old players that was struggling to stay in the top 6 and transformed them into a young energetic squad that is going toe to toe with Man City for the PL title.

So the long rope and free hand is not without reason and it is because of the amazing work that Arteta has done at the club.

I didn’t realise Arteta is in the top 10 managers in the world, is this what Arsenal fans consider 🤔
He is one of the best for sure. The work that he has done Arsenal has been incredible and he did in his first shot as manager.

There other managers in the world who have been managing for 20 years and still don’t have the chops to manage a big club and now find themselves managing mid-tier teams like Aston Villa.

I said he will get snapped up if he can keep this up for another season. He has been excellent this season but you can’t expect the top clubs to make a beeline for him when he has had one good season by the age of 28.

Of course it is not irrelevant. How can you expect Arsenal or PSG fans to rate him? He was a disaster for both clubs. He wasted 2 years for Paris and 18 months for Arsenal.

Arsenal could have just appointed Arteta straight after Wenger and Arsenal could have been PL champions by now, because Arteta wouldn’t have to clean up the mess Emery created.

Managers get long rope when you are showing progression and you can convince the fans and the board that club is heading in the right direction.

Compare Arsenal to where they were when Emery got kicked out in December 2019 and where they are now and you can clearly see the massive difference that Arteta has made and if you can’t see it then there is something wrong with you.

Arteta took over a team with average old players that was struggling to stay in the top 6 and transformed them into a young energetic squad that is going toe to toe with Man City for the PL title.

So the long rope and free hand is not without reason and it is because of the amazing work that Arteta has done at the club.

I’v never heard of that one before lol Unai doing some next level damage at Arsenal, if anything they seem more positive about him apart from yourself. In any case I don’t think Arteta had to spend years on a ‘repair job’ sounds like a cop out to justify how long he has been working at Arsenal

He is one of the best for sure. The work that he has done Arsenal has been incredible and he did in his first shot as manager.

There other managers in the world who have been managing for 20 years and still don’t have the chops to manage a big club and now find themselves managing mid-tier teams like Aston Villa.

Big clubs without the CL 🤣 Arteta is right where he belongs.

Jurgen Klopp's Liverpool tenure - in numbers

The Liverpool side he is taking over has had a frustrating start to the season, offering no sign of ending their long wait for the title.

Not that the new manager is talking up his chances just yet.

"I am the normal one," he famously proclaims. He adds: "It is not so important what people think when you come in. It is much more important what people think when you leave."

Eight-and-a-half transformative years later, Klopp has done his final fist pumps in front of the Kop and is exiting stage right.

We look at the numbers to weigh up his achievements.

How many trophies has Klopp won at Liverpool?

Judging Klopp purely on silverware, his haul is notable.

One Premier League title, one Champions League crown, an FA Cup, two EFL Cups, the Community Shield, a UEFA Super Cup and a Fifa Club World Cup.

In that title-winning season of 2019-20, his Liverpool side became the fastest team to reach 30 wins and were within one of breaking the 100-point mark.

His trophy cabinet could have been a lot fuller too if there had not been heartbreaking Champions League final defeats by Real Madrid in 2017-18 and 2021-22 respectively, coupled with in-vain pursuits of Manchester City in the Premier League, topping 90 points twice and still finishing second.

At that same news conference, Klopp talked about turning "doubters into believers" and the relentless drive for perfection that characterised his reign and brought faith and pride back for Reds fans.

However, the German's tenure was far from perfect.

Allied to the disappointing times his sides fell short were fallow years. His Reds team were poor in defending their title in 2020-21 and were jaded in finishing only fifth last season.

Indeed, in the 2021-22 season, Liverpool were competing on four fronts until the final throes of the campaign, missing out on the Premier League and Champions League titles, but winning two domestic cups.

Similarly, this season’s stellar effort only has one EFL Cup to show for it, as his Reds side ran out of steam at the critical juncture.

Klopp allowed Liverpool fans to dream again – but he could not turn every dream into reality.

How does Klopp compare to other managers?
In many ways, Klopp is unfortunate to have managed Liverpool in this period.

Less than 12 months after he arrived, he was joined in the Premier League by Pep Guardiola, a boss who had got the better of him in the Bundesliga and would prove just that little too strong throughout their time together in England.

Looking through the annals of Premier League managers, it is only Guardiola, the irrepressible Sir Alex Ferguson and Antonio Conte that can boast a better win ratio than the former Reds boss.

In another era, Klopp could have had a bulging set of Premier League winners’ medals rather than the sole gong he picked up in 2019-20.

Source: BBC

Unai Emery has to be him, in recent past after Leicester winning the league this is the monumental work Aston Villa getting into UCL ahead of giants like Chelsea and ManU

Yet. You were critical of klopp who despite his teams on two occasions accumulated 97 points and 94 points yet still finished runners up.
I will be critical of Arteta if he leaves Arsenal after 10 years with only 1 Premier League trophy.

Klopp’s Premier League legacy is not overhyped because he only won the league once. It is also overhyped because of the 2020-21 and 2022-23 seasons.

They were two awful seasons where he scraped into the top 4 on the last day and finishing 5th with players like Salah, Van Dijk, Trent, Alisson, Mane, Thiago, Henderson, Robertson etc. which was unacceptable and that had absolutely nothing to do with Man City’s might.

I back Arteta to win two of the next four Premier Leagues and I will be surprised and disappointed if that doesn’t happen.

I just hope that it happens while Pep is at City so that we don’t hear any predictable excuses from rival fans and Arsenal with fans toxic agendas.

I will be critical of Arteta if he leaves Arsenal after 10 years with only 1 Premier League trophy.

Klopp’s Premier League legacy is not overhyped because he only won the league once. It is also overhyped because of the 2020-21 and 2022-23 seasons.

They were two awful seasons where he scraped into the top 4 on the last day and finishing 5th with players like Salah, Van Dijk, Trent, Alisson, Mane, Thiago, Henderson, Robertson etc. which was unacceptable and that had absolutely nothing to do with Man City’s might.

I back Arteta to win two of the next four Premier Leagues and I will be surprised and disappointed if that doesn’t happen.

I just hope that it happens while Pep is at City so that we don’t hear any predictable excuses from rival fans and Arsenal with fans toxic agendas.

Wishful thinking pal. Six seasons without a major trophy and the money he spent!

He will be replaced.

Wishful thinking pal. Six seasons without a major trophy and the money he spent!

He will be replaced.
He will not be replaced next season if Arsenal fall short of winning the Premier League by a whisker. His job will only be at risk if Arsenal regress in the league.

As long as Arsenal are aggressively competing for the Premier League and going toe to toe with City, the owners and also the vast majority of the fans are not bothered by lack of success in domestic cups post 2020.

Winning domestic cups mean nothing if you are not backing it up by challenging for the league which is a non-negotiable for a big club.

This is why Ten Hag is under pressure of losing his job in spite of two domestic cups in two years.

He has failed to improve United’s standing in the league. If anything, they have gone backwards and an FA Cup win will not mask it.

If United had the exact same two seasons that Arsenal have had in 2022-23 and 2023-24, there would have been no pressure on Ten Hag and he would have the full faith of the club and the fans.

Back