Co-hosts West Indies announce 15-member squad for the ICC T20 World Cup 2024

The Bald Eagle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
Co-hosts West Indies announce squad for T20 World Cup

Rovman Powell will lead West Indies in the ICC Men’s T20 World Cup 2024.

West Indies announced their 15-member squad for the upcoming ICC Men’s T20 World Cup 2024, which will be co-hosted in the Caribbean and the USA.

Squad: Rovman Powell (c), Alzarri Joseph, Johnson Charles, Roston Chase, Shimron Hetmyer, Jason Holder, Shai Hope, Akeal Hossain, Shamar Joseph, Brandon King, Gudakesh Motie, Nicholas Pooran, Andre Russell, Sherfane Rutherford, Romario Shepherd

Part of Group C alongside Afghanistan, New Zealand, Papua New Guinea and Uganda, the two-time Champions will kick off their campaign on 2 June against PNG in Guyana.

All teams are allowed to make changes to their squad until 25 May, after which any alteration will require approval from ICC's Event Technical Committee.

Source: ICC

Last edited by a moderator:
They will struggle to qualify. If the pitches are the usual sluggish windies pitches Afghanistan will be a real threat in that group.

Hetmyer retaining his place is surprising. Not only is his fitness atrocious, his T20I numbers are poor too.

He missed out on the last T20 World Cup because he literally didn't board the flight to Australia.

Main area for WI to address are death bowling and dot ball consumption against spin. They've a tough group with the Afghanistan game being critical. It helps that they play them at St Lucia - the most fast bowling friendly venue in the WI.

Strong squad. And along expected lines. They didn't go back to Andre Fletcher or Kyle Mayers etc..

They can start with

King
Charles
Hope
Pooran
Rovman
Sherfane
Russel
Romario
Akeal
Jason
Alzarri

Proper hitting lineup.

Sunil Narine was an easy pick for the selectors, but he refused to come out of retirement for the sake of the nation. But if we see this squad, hats off to the Windies selectors. A very balanced side.

Strong squad. And along expected lines. They didn't go back to Andre Fletcher or Kyle Mayers etc..

They can start with

King
Charles
Hope
Pooran
Rovman
Sherfane
Russel
Romario
Akeal
Jason
Alzarri

Proper hitting lineup.
This side has 1 spinner

They can drop a batter and get in Motie

Co-hosts West Indies announce squad for T20 World Cup

Rovman Powell will lead West Indies in the ICC Men’s T20 World Cup 2024.

West Indies announced their 15-member squad for the upcoming ICC Men’s T20 World Cup 2024, which will be co-hosted in the Caribbean and the USA.

Squad: Rovman Powell (c), Alzarri Joseph, Johnson Charles, Roston Chase, Shimron Hetmyer, Jason Holder, Shai Hope, Akeal Hossain, Shamar Joseph, Brandon King, Gudakesh Motie, Nicholas Pooran, Andre Russell, Sherfane Rutherford, Romario Shepherd

Part of Group C alongside Afghanistan, New Zealand, Papua New Guinea and Uganda, the two-time Champions will kick off their campaign on 2 June against PNG in Guyana.

All teams are allowed to make changes to their squad until 25 May, after which any alteration will require approval from ICC's Event Technical Committee.

Solid spin attack and Power house

They can start with

King
Charles
Hope
Pooran
Rovman
Sherfane
Russel
Romario
Akeal
Jason
Alzarri

Proper hitting lineup.
Pooran
Rovman
Sherfane
Russel
Romario

This is solid powerhouse

Russell was too good in the recent series against England, Just imagine had Narine came out of retirement for windies like Imad and Amir.

Pooran
Rovman
Sherfane
Russel
Romario

This is solid powerhouse

Yep. Hope to anchor. Rest can all accelerate. They are looking to bat deep and restrict teams with defensive bowling.

Just a question of maintaining fitness and intensity for the whole tournament

Solid squad. Good hitters, solid spinners & solid athletes. Just need to work on their fielding.

Yep. Hope to anchor. Rest can all accelerate. They are looking to bat deep and restrict teams with defensive bowling.

Just a question of maintaining fitness and intensity for the whole tournament
The good thing about their squad is that majority of them are pinch hitters.

They can start with

King
Charles
Hope
Pooran
Rovman
Sherfane
Russel
Romario
Akeal
Jason
Alzarri

Proper hitting lineup.
Hope is useless and Charles and King are not reliable. Their real strength is Middle order.

Bowling is a bit weak. Alzarri is not a good T20 bowler and Holder is even worse.

Overall, a decent team. I would put it on par with Indian team. With a bit of luck, they can get to semis.

It's a good squad with the exception of Chase (not a T20 player) and Hetmyer, who is an absolutely brainless player.

I think Kyle Mayers should have been in there too.

With Windies though you just never know. It's either boom or bust. They could go all the way or just lose to Namibia or whoever they lost to last time.

When you think about it, its pretty much the same team as last time. Only major inclusion is Andre Russell.

Hope is useless and Charles and King are not reliable. Their real strength is Middle order.

Bowling is a bit weak. Alzarri is not a good T20 bowler and Holder is even worse.

Overall, a decent team. I would put it on par with Indian team. With a bit of luck, they can get to semis.

Johnson Charles' role is to give explosive starts. And since his comeback last year , he is striking at 175.

None of them are bad players. The fact that they can potentially play Romario and Russell at 7 and 8 will free them to go even harder.

It seems like whenever the World Cup comes around the West Indies have to field a completely different team to the one they field for the rest of the year. I feel like that's a big reason that affects their team performance in ICC touraments. Lots of great individual players but what even is there best combination when so many of these players have been playing leagues through out the year?

They've got a good team but I don't see them winning too many big matches unless someone like Russell or Shephard just comes out and plays a blinder.

It seems like whenever the World Cup comes around the West Indies have to field a completely different team to the one they field for the rest of the year. I feel like that's a big reason that affects their team performance in ICC touraments. Lots of great individual players but what even is there best combination when so many of these players have been playing leagues through out the year?

They've got a good team but I don't see them winning too many big matches unless someone like Russell or Shephard just comes out and plays a blinder.
That was true during the Gayle-Bravo-Pollard era but this is more or less their regular team for the last 2 years bar Andre Russell who's recently come back into the setup. The interest from leagues in WI players has declined since their big names retired and their last two awful T20 WC campaigns.

As people have mentioned there's plenty of powerful batsmen to get them to 200+ but their pacers are just as capable of conceding 200+ !

Shamar Joseph is a gamble. He's picked based on his Test displays in Australia. He's only ever played 3 T20s in his life and hasn't taken a wicket ! Alzarri Joseph, Jason Holder, Andre Russell and Romario Shepherd can all be very expensive.

Shamar Joseph is a gamble. He's picked based on his Test displays in Australia. He's only ever played 3 T20s in his life and hasn't taken a wicket
A great gamble indeed but at the same time he is their best bowling option too in my opinion. After him Russell is only a reliable option and that narrates their lopsided bowling.

In batting dept, they are the best in business.

That was true during the Gayle-Bravo-Pollard era but this is more or less their regular team for the last 2 years bar Andre Russell who's recently come back into the setup. The interest from leagues in WI players has declined since their big names retired and their last two awful T20 WC campaigns.

As people have mentioned there's plenty of powerful batsmen to get them to 200+ but their pacers are just as capable of conceding 200+ !

Shamar Joseph is a gamble. He's picked based on his Test displays in Australia. He's only ever played 3 T20s in his life and hasn't taken a wicket ! Alzarri Joseph, Jason Holder, Andre Russell and Romario Shepherd can all be very expensive.
Yeah the bowling will be very heavily dependent on Akael Hossein to build some pressure upfront. The bowling is weak but to me the batting looks very hit or miss too. Russell is a massive name and a real x-factor player. But it still feels like a team that could score 220 one day and be bowled out for 90 the next. Who is the batter that they are relying on to deliver more often than not?

How are they not amazing players?

What’s an amazing player?
After looking more closely, I take it back. Pooran, Hope, Holder, Hosein, King, Russel, etc., are all solid players. They just seem unpredictable overall but the type to go on a rampage once two or three players catch fire in the tournament. I wish the hosts the best

Windies have a good squad overall. They have players that are more suited for T20 format. The only downside I can see is their bowling. Akeal Hussain and Alzari are the real threat to me, otherwise, they have normal bowlers who can do well 1 day and can lose the game by getting smashed the very next day. Miss or hit kind of bowlers TBH.

Windies have a good squad overall. They have players that are more suited for T20 format. The only downside I can see is their bowling. Akeal Hussain and Alzari are the real threat to me, otherwise, they have normal bowlers who can do well 1 day and can lose the game by getting smashed the very next day. Miss or hit kind of bowlers TBH.
Yep bowling a big concern for them although their batting is a concern for others.

Ambrose bullish on West Indies’ chances at T20 World Cup

West Indies great and ICC Hall of Famer Curtly Ambrose believes his former team have enough talent to win an unprecedented third ICC Men's T20 World Cup title next month.

While the West Indies are just one of the two sides to have won multiple men’s T20 World Cup titles, the Caribbean team will need to overturn some poor form at recent ICC tournaments, if they are to become the only three-time winner of the event.

The West Indies didn't make it out of the first round of the most recent T20 World Cup in Australia in 2022 and failed to even qualify for last year's ICC Men's Cricket World Cup in India.

But Ambrose thinks the West Indies' fortunes are turning under skipper Rovman Powell and pointed to T20I series successes over powerhouses South Africa, India, and England in the last 14 months as evidence of this.

These returns have the legendary fast bowler confident of a strong showing from the West Indies in the ninth edition of the T20 World Cup, an event they will co-host with the USA.

"We have a very, very good team," Ambrose claimed when speaking at the launch of the Nassau County International Cricket Stadium in New York earlier this week.

"As we speak they (West Indies players) are in Antigua at a camp preparing themselves for the start of the T20 World Cup which is a couple of weeks away.

"I believe once the guys start playing consistent cricket and smart cricket, I believe we can take the trophy.

"It is not going to be easy, but we are one of only two nations to have won it twice so we are going to try and make it three.

"And no other nation has ever won it on home soil, so all that is motivation for the guys to do well and I am hoping they can do it.”

The West Indies are drawn in Group C at the T20 World Cup and face the champions of the ICC Men's T20 World Cup East Asia-Pacific Qualifier Papua New Guinea first up in Guyana on June 2, before their remaining opening round fixtures against Uganda, New Zealand and Afghanistan.

Ambrose expects to see some upsets at this year's edition of the T20 World Cup as he knows every side has plenty of talented players at their disposal.

"I admire a lot of cricketers (at the T20 World Cup) and I am looking forward to them doing well," he said.

"As a proud Antiguan and being from the West Indies, I want the West Indies to win.

"It is not going to be easy because in T20 cricket every team has an equal chance of beating any other team and that is just the nature of T20 cricket.

"It is going to be exciting, but I am going to be rooting for the West Indies.”

Will be a tight contest. It's probably going to be England and one of WI/SA to qualify for semis from this group.

This time WI is looking super hot to win the title.. almost all big names are in the squad who can win them a title single handedly.

SQUAD UPDATE FOR ICC MEN’S T20 WORLD CUP: OBED MCCOY REPLACES JASON HOLDER​

Cricket West Indies (CWI) today announces a key update to the West Indies squad for the upcoming ICC Men’s T20 World Cup. Jason Holder has been ruled out of the tournament due to an injury and left-arm fast bowler Obed McCoy has been named as his replacement.

While Jason Holder's absence is notable, CWI is confident that the team remains strong and competitive with the inclusion of McCoy. Holder's injury, sustained during the County Championship 2024, will require a recovery period, and the team's medical staff will provide all necessary support to ensure his swift and complete recovery.

Dr. The Most Hon. Desmond Haynes, Lead Selector of CWI, shared his thoughts on this development:

"Jason is an experienced player in our set-up. His absence will undoubtedly be felt both on and off the field. We look forward to having a fully fit Jason with us again soon."
Dr. Haynes continued,

"While it is unfortunate to lose a player of Jason's caliber, we are confident in the abilities of Obed McCoy. Obed has shown remarkable skill and promise in his performances, and this opportunity will allow him to further showcase his talent on the international stage. We believe he will bring a fresh and dynamic energy to the squad."
The final West Indies squad for the ICC Men’s T20 World Cup will be:

Rovman Powell (Captain)
Alzarri Joseph (Vice Captain)
Johnson Charles
Roston Chase
Shimron Hetmyer
Shai Hope
Akeal Hosein
Shamar Joseph
Brandon King
Obed McCoy
Gudakesh Motie
Nicholas Pooran
Andre Russell
Sherfane Rutherford
Romario Shepherd

In addition to the main squad, five reserve players have been named, ready to step in if needed. These reserves are:

Kyle Mayers
Matthew Forde
Fabian Allen
Hayden Walsh
Andre Fletcher

Head Coach Daren Sammy expressed his confidence in the reserves, stating,

"We are fortunate to have such depth and quality in our ranks. Our reserve players are all A-class talents who have proven their abilities in various formats of the game, but certainly T20. Each one of them is fully capable of slotting into the team seamlessly should the situation arise."

The Selectors Panel has noted Obed McCoy's inclusion based on his impressive form over the last year. Known for his left-arm pace and skillful variations, particularly at the back end of the innings, McCoy was the leading wicket-taker on the West Indies team’s recent tour to Nepal.

CWI extends its best wishes to Jason Holder for a speedy recovery and looks forward to his return to the field.

West Indies is in Group C of the ICC Men’s T20 World Cup. The team will play its first match on June 2 in Guyana against Papua New Guinea.

SQUAD UPDATE FOR ICC MEN’S T20 WORLD CUP: OBED MCCOY REPLACES JASON HOLDER​

Cricket West Indies (CWI) today announces a key update to the West Indies squad for the upcoming ICC Men’s T20 World Cup. Jason Holder has been ruled out of the tournament due to an injury and left-arm fast bowler Obed McCoy has been named as his replacement.

While Jason Holder's absence is notable, CWI is confident that the team remains strong and competitive with the inclusion of McCoy. Holder's injury, sustained during the County Championship 2024, will require a recovery period, and the team's medical staff will provide all necessary support to ensure his swift and complete recovery.

Dr. The Most Hon. Desmond Haynes, Lead Selector of CWI, shared his thoughts on this development:

"Jason is an experienced player in our set-up. His absence will undoubtedly be felt both on and off the field. We look forward to having a fully fit Jason with us again soon."
Dr. Haynes continued,

"While it is unfortunate to lose a player of Jason's caliber, we are confident in the abilities of Obed McCoy. Obed has shown remarkable skill and promise in his performances, and this opportunity will allow him to further showcase his talent on the international stage. We believe he will bring a fresh and dynamic energy to the squad."
The final West Indies squad for the ICC Men’s T20 World Cup will be:

Rovman Powell (Captain)
Alzarri Joseph (Vice Captain)
Johnson Charles
Roston Chase
Shimron Hetmyer
Shai Hope
Akeal Hosein
Shamar Joseph
Brandon King
Obed McCoy
Gudakesh Motie
Nicholas Pooran
Andre Russell
Sherfane Rutherford
Romario Shepherd

In addition to the main squad, five reserve players have been named, ready to step in if needed. These reserves are:

Kyle Mayers
Matthew Forde
Fabian Allen
Hayden Walsh
Andre Fletcher

Head Coach Daren Sammy expressed his confidence in the reserves, stating,

"We are fortunate to have such depth and quality in our ranks. Our reserve players are all A-class talents who have proven their abilities in various formats of the game, but certainly T20. Each one of them is fully capable of slotting into the team seamlessly should the situation arise."

The Selectors Panel has noted Obed McCoy's inclusion based on his impressive form over the last year. Known for his left-arm pace and skillful variations, particularly at the back end of the innings, McCoy was the leading wicket-taker on the West Indies team’s recent tour to Nepal.

CWI extends its best wishes to Jason Holder for a speedy recovery and looks forward to his return to the field.

West Indies is in Group C of the ICC Men’s T20 World Cup. The team will play its first match on June 2 in Guyana against Papua New Guinea.

Excellent decision. Holder is a finished trundler. Obed offers that left arm angle which they need. With Roston also proving to be valuable with bat and ball, they look a complete side now.

West Indies looking very very strong!

uZDAvAM.png

Rovman Powell prepared for a familiar battle as West Indies face England​

On June 18, West Indies set fire on the pitch when they registered a 104-run win over Afghanistan, securing themselves the top spot in Group C.

With a huge win right before their much-anticipated encounter against England in the Super Eights, the Windies are set to build on the momentum.

“I think the conditions are pretty good. It's good for batting, it's good for bowling, it makes for very good cricket,” stated Rovman Powell in the press conference.

“When you look at the English team, they are defending champions. And, they are a very good team. And so, it's for us now to just sit and find some plans and see how those plans can work against them.”

On being asked whether this win was a warning message for the Englishmen ahead of their encounter, the Windies captain replied, “It's not necessarily to send them a message, It's just to show them that as much as they are playing good cricket, we're playing good cricket - so come Wednesday night it should be a very good game.”

West Indies have had quite an edge over their upcoming rivals in the T20 International format as the Windies have secured 17 wins in their 29 meetings, including a series win the last time these teams met in 2023.

Powell doesn’t want to consider the results from the past and believes that it will all be about whoever comes on top on June 20, at the Daren Sammy Cricket Ground in St. Lucia.

“I think it's (whatever happens) on the day,” the skipper said.

“When we play the English guys so often, we play them actually every year, so they know a lot about us, we know a lot about them. It's just that when you're playing the game on the day, whoever gets on top has to stay on top for as long as possible.”

Obed McCoy was utilised by Powell for the first time in this campaign against Afghanistan, and the left-arm pacer didn’t disappoint, picking up three wickets in his three overs, conceding only 14 runs.

Ngl, I'm kinda afraid of WI. I feel like their the only team aussies might not beat

A blow or blessing in disguise?
====
The Event Technical Committee of the ICC Men’s T20 World Cup 2024 has approved left-handed batter Kyle Mayers as a replacement for Brandon King in the West Indies squad

Mayers, who has played 37 T20Is, was named as a replacement after King was ruled out due to a side strain. Mayers is expected to join the squad on Saturday.

The replacement of a player requires the approval of the Event Technical Committee before the player can be officially added to the squad.

Catching up on Super 8 highlights. ENG defeat should serve as a wakeup call.

Charles and Pooran consumed too many dots and there was another failure for Russell. WI wound up with a below par score which ENG easily chased.

Most sixes in a single T20 World Cup edition

62 - West Indies in 2024
57 - Australia in 2010
49 - West Indies in 2012
43 - West Indies in 2016
42 - USA in 2024

Back