Cricketer dies In Mumbai after being hit by a ball from another match

BouncerGuy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
Cricketer Dies In Mumbai After Being Hit By Ball From Another Match

In a tragic incident that unfolded in Mumbai, a 52-year-old man died while playing cricket at Dadkar Maidan in Matunga on Monday after being struck on the head by a ball. Unaware of the ball travelling at him, the man was struck on the head after a ball flew from an adjacent pitch. The man was reportedly fielding with his back towards the batter from the adjacent pitch, and hence, couldn't see the ball being hit towards him at pace. He was struck behind the year and was rushed to the hospital, where he was declared dead.

"He fell down and was rushed to hospital, where he was declared dead," said an eyewitness as per the Times of India.

The two matches were being played in the Kutchhi Visa Oswal Vikas Legend Cup, a T20 tournament for people aged 50 or more.

Space crunch and time paucity forced the authorities to organise two or more cricket matches at the same ground parallely. Though it wasn't the first case where a player got injured after being hit by a ball from another match, this was probably the first incident where the injury cost a person's life.

Police said that they filed an accidental death report. The police also ordered an autopsy to rule out the possibility of an intentional attempt to hit the person but found no such evidence in the report.

The medical officer at Lion Tarachand Hospital claimed that the person was brought dead around 5 pm. The body was later handed over to the family.

Space crunch is one of the biggest problems in cities for sports-loving people. Most children opt to play cricket of other sports on the streets because of the lack of facilities or easy access. Even in public parks and playgrounds, it is often witnessed that multiple matches take place parallely, posing a huge risk.
SOURCE: NDTV

Inna lillahi wa inna ilaihi rajiun.

Very tragic.

Something like this happened to me once before. But, I had a helmet on (net practice). So, I didn't get injured.

Stupid to have concurrent matches on the same pitch. The cricket ball is no joke. Imagine a knife being thrown around and being unaware of it.

Unfortunate. Condolences to the family of the deceased.

Playing cricket on such maidans should not be allowed or even promoted. It is very dangerous. There 15 matches going on one big ground with multiple pitches and you have to save yourself from all thr incoming balls

I doubt the authorities will do anything about it

Stupid to have concurrent matches on the same pitch. The cricket ball is no joke. Imagine a knife being thrown around and being unaware of it.

Tragic indeed. The cricket leather ball at force is a lethal object. Even in club games just taking a high catch has severe finger damage potential and if batting helmets are a must as well and this is Mickey mouse pace compared to international level pace

Playing cricket on such maidans should not be allowed or even promoted. It is very dangerous. There 15 matches going on one big ground with multiple pitches and you have to save yourself from all thr incoming balls

Agree.

They should have nettings or something.

Unfortunately it is what it is. Mumbai is one of the densest cities in ind and there is just not enough place for everyone to play. Nothing will change inspite of this incident and you can't blame players as there is just not enough space available. Tragic but true and it's something you just have to live with and carry on.

Condolences to his family.

More than 1 match on the same ground should never be allowed anywhere in the world. This cricket ball is too hard and it can do a lot of damage when hit with force.

Don't think they would have the funds for the nettings and all. A lot of the players in these games just have 1 kit for the whole team..

They shouldn't have multiple games then. Very unsafe. Should be illegal.

Cricket is not bigger than life.

Last edited by a moderator:
It might be my naivety but I was unaware hardball was used in these type of environment.

I've only ever played tape ball matches in Pakistan in packed places like this.

I've played in Oval Maidan myself and though it hasn't happened to me, I've personally seen more than 1 kid getting hurt. We had a big fight with another team when of our players was hurt - proper fisticuffs. They should really ban hard balls in places like. The rubber balls hurt bad enough!

That's normal here in India. Single ground, multiple teams playing unless it is well organised tournament by any association.

I've played in Oval Maidan myself and though it hasn't happened to me, I've personally seen more than 1 kid getting hurt. We had a big fight with another team when of our players was hurt - proper fisticuffs. They should really ban hard balls in places like. The rubber balls hurt bad enough!
Why don't they put nets around the boundary walls? Here in Karachi I have seen some grounds located in densely populated areas but they have secured all the surrounding areas with nets.

A 15-year-old boy was killed after he was allegedly beaten on the head after a cricket match in Jhalawar, police said on Wednesday. The incident took place in Bhawani Mandi town on Tuesday afternoon, they said.

A member of the rival team hit the boy on the head with a bat after his side lost the game, police said.

The teen succumbed to head injuries during treatment later at night, they said.

The victim has been identified as Prakash Sahu, a resident of Rajasthan Textiles Mills Labour Colony in Bhawani Mandi town, was handed over to his family members after post-mortem on Wednesday, police said.

The accused identified as Mukesh Meena (20), a resident of the same colony, has been detained.

Sahu, a student of Class 10, and Meena, a B.A. final year student, of the same colony were friends and would play cricket daily in the colony ground, Circle Inspector Mangilal Yadav said.

While Sahu was celebrating victory in the cricket match along with his team mates on Tuesday afternoon, Meena irked over losing the game lashed an attack with a cricket bat on the former's head from behind, he added.

Sahu collapsed on the spot and was rushed to the local hospital, where the doctors referred him to Kota. The teen succumbed to his injuries during treatment at a hospital in Kota late Tuesday night, Yadav said.

A case under Section 302 (murder) of the Indian Penal Code (IPC) has been lodged against Meena, police said.

Earlier in the day, the local labourers damaged the bike of the accused, who was locked in a room by his family members, police said.

Police men have been increased in the colony following the incident, they said.

Source: NDTV

Rip to the kid.

Lack of space for sports is a major problem in India. Too many people compete for space in tiny grounds.

This is so sad. Violence is never a way to go in any part of the world. Passion towards cricket is fine but it should never come to such a point where lives are lost due to intolerance.

Back