Custom Made Gray Nicolls Oblivion Limited Edition Review

Cover Drive

Senior ODI Player
Runs
Well well well where do I start with this bat? One word I would like to use early on for this bat is perfection!

First of all below are the specs I had asked for;

Weight: 2.8-2.9 lbs
Handle: Short Handle, Semi-Oval Handle
Grains: 12-15, Grains like the bat (link given below) would be ideal! Regardless the number of grains they should be evenly spaced and perfectly straight!
Edges: Anything close to 40 mm or above that.
Spine: Anything close to 70 mm or above that.
Profile: Big massive profile for its weight.
Additional Comments: Ultra Light Pickup and very good balance bat overall. Also make sure the bat is only English made no Indian made etc bat please and make sure it is not over-dried cleft.

04 February 2011 is the date when I had placed order of my Oblivion and had paid for it and 02 April 2011 is the day I got my hands on this bat! Almost 8 weeks wait for a bat is certainly my longest wait for anything I have ever bought since I was born on Friday of September 14 1990 at noon time.

This bat was ordered through Asad Bhai who said he will be going to Gray Nicolls to hand select my bats but he didn't find one which was "exceptionally good" so he ordered one and Gray Nicolls were let down as they had falsely promised me of the dates. [Custom orders from Gray Nicolls are very expensive ones and they don't take them but Asad Bhai did his magic :) ]They said it will take 2 weeks and then after 2 weeks another excuse came up etc so I was angry and after 7 weeks I had decided that I will cancel my order and would like my money so as I had said that to Asad Bhai GN people said my bat will be with Asad Bhai next day so I told myself where I have waited 7 weeks lets wait another 24 hours so I gave Asad Bhai one last chance! I was quite pissed off throughout the deal because my money was stuck in there for 2 months and I did not get anything and was being treated poorly!

Anyways, coming to the bat. I did not weigh it but it feels like 2.8sih in my hands which is exactly what I had asked for and look for in a bat. Considering the fact this is low sweetspot bat and pickup should be heavy but I will be honest to my full extent that this bat has amazing pickup! I would say the pickup is up there with Icon but not ahead of Icon, Icon still leads the pack but this bat is not very far from it. The balance is impeccable, when I hold the bat I hardly feel any weight, this how light and good this bat feels in my hand!

Regardless of what circumstances are Gray Nicolls is my all-time favourite company and this is the second Gray Nicolls bat I have bought in my life. The first one was Gray Nicolls Powerbow 3 Star and considering the fact it was low end bat it felt and played brilliantly! So with this bat my respect for Gray Nicolls further increases! They are the best!! :D

I find it tad dry so I will oil it and knocking will be required too!

Got carried away with this review so bear me with the length.

Again any question(s) and criticism please don't hesitate to ask me!

Enjoy the pictures!

[Sorry for the amount of pictures! Didn't wanted to leave anything out as its Gray Nicolls, my favourite brand:D:D:D]

DSC05591.jpg

DSC05592.jpg

DSC05594.jpg

That has to be one of the best I've ever seen in my life. Absolutely stunning, huge edges and spine, and such a light weight.

Can you tell is if Gray Nicolls hard or soft pressed the bat for you? it looks very softly pressed from the small dints found on the back.

I recommend weighing it, I had a bat that was 2'10 and picked up the same as one that was 2'7, we were convinced both weighed 2'7 till we put them both on the scales. (first was 2'7.5 second 2'10)

How much did it set you back if you don't mind my asking? Have you had a chance to contact GN people direct to give feedback?

Wow, superb bat mashallah.

This looks like an absolute stunner. I now you rate your Icon very highly and you also seem to love this bat but how would you compare them both?

I know they are two different kinds of bats but in terms of pick up, finishing etc.

JazakallahKhair.

How do you intend to use all of these bats in the season CD? I make it eight new sticks in the span of a few months O_O

That has to be one of the best I've ever seen in my life. Absolutely stunning, huge edges and spine, and such a light weight.

Can you tell is if Gray Nicolls hard or soft pressed the bat for you? it looks very softly pressed from the small dints found on the back.

I recommend weighing it, I had a bat that was 2'10 and picked up the same as one that was 2'7, we were convinced both weighed 2'7 till we put them both on the scales. (first was 2'7.5 second 2'10)

How much did it set you back if you don't mind my asking? Have you had a chance to contact GN people direct to give feedback?

Thanks mate, thank you for your kind words :)

I don't have a scale which can measure the weight but when I next time go to local store I will weigh it.

I have no clue how to figure out pressing but Asad Bhai before shipping tapped it and he said it seem to be a bit harder pressed which to be honest I prefer because I want a bat to last long!

No not at all! I paid 295 Pounds which includes 25 Pounds bat shipping to Canada. Actually I had ordered this through uzisports.

If you have anymore question(s) please don't hesitate to ask me :)

Wow, superb bat mashallah.

This looks like an absolute stunner. I now you rate your Icon very highly and you also seem to love this bat but how would you compare them both?

I know they are two different kinds of bats but in terms of pick up, finishing etc.

JazakallahKhair.

JazakAllah Khair brother :)

Hmm it is tricky and difficult to compare both :) I would say Gray Nicolls gets an advantage because I like the brand because of Mohammad Yousuf so they obviously get a nod ahead.

But if you talk about finishing then I have to admit GM is better, pickup on Icon is better because it has higher sweetspot but again for a low sweetspot bat like Oblivion pick up is brilliant.

If you have anymore question(s) please don't hesitate to ask me :)

How do you intend to use all of these bats in the season CD? I make it eight new sticks in the span of a few months O_O

Hopefully I will be using them this season.

Have ended it, won't be buying any more bats for time being.

Wow, Looks stunning. No other words to describe. To get a bat like that it was worth the wait. With some time I am sure the bat will go like a train. You have made me so jealous I am def getting a GN Oblivion now,lol.

Amazing bat CD bhai. I held this bat and checked its ping against all other bats and to be honest nothing comes close in terms of ping. Bro...I would like to compare this to my legend and lavers to see the real difference lol

Just beautiful.........is this the best of the bats you recently bought? Looks like it to me. where do you get custom GN bats?

Amazing bat CD bhai. I held this bat and checked its ping against all other bats and to be honest nothing comes close in terms of ping. Bro...I would like to compare this to my legend and lavers to see the real difference lol

JazakAllah Khair bro!

You don't need to ask me bro, you will have the bats so you can do whatever you want to whenever you wish to :)

Just beautiful.........is this the best of the bats you recently bought? Looks like it to me. where do you get custom GN bats?

Asad Bhai sorted out everything for me

Personally got to pick this bat up even before CD did which i am really proud of :D
I could tell right away that the oblivion would beat any other bat from his collection and that my friends tells a lot about this oblivion, because CD has the best of the line bats available.
Generally, i am super picky about a bat's weight. Anything 2.8 or over would be too heavy for my liking. So, i could be forgiven for not getting too excited about the oblivion when cricketer13 showed it to me.
This is probably the only bat over 2.8 that i could play with. Super awesome pick up for a bat over 2.8. Whats more mind boggling is the meat that its got even for a 2.8 bat. I've never seen a 2.8 bat with that much meat. I remember holding a Newbery B52 which weighed about 2.11 and even that didnt have as much meat as this. Ridiculous. Probably the best bat i've ever held in my life.
As biased as I am about Newberies, this has to be better than anything Ive seen come from Newbery.

must be pleasing to hear such good words from others who have held the bat. am sure it is one of the best bats ever.

Back