Does Ravichandran Ashwin chuck?

Strike Rate

Senior T20I Player
Runs
I am not going to throw Asia Cup screenshots here where he changed his bowling action. But this one is interestingly from IPL 2014 and on this delivery he got the wicket of Maxwell.

12.6 Ashwin to Maxwell, OUT, but Ashwin gets the wicket he had talked up, this looked like a topspinner going straight on, it was well outside off, Maxwell looks to clobber that over cow corner, hasn't hit it far enough though and holes out, Ashwin is pumped, he runs towards Maxwell and blows a flying kiss, Dhoni is not too pleased with Ashwin's reaction

Interestingly he only got 1 wicket in that match and that was on this delivery!

Bo-hkR_IQAAVZn5.png

http://www.espncricinfo.com/indian-premier-league-2014/engine/match/734047.html

Last edited:
Btw i like this line "Ashwin is pumped, he runs towards Maxwell and blows a flying kiss, Dhoni is not too pleased with Ashwin's reaction"

Not going to get much from a still pic :afaq

He may have chucked that delivery, but the majority of his deliveries are fine.

I doubt he'd do it again with umpires now keeping an eye out.

Last edited:
Ok, jokes asides, he chucks many times. I think he will just stop doing it now that ICC is going strict on bowling action.l He is perfectly capable of bowling with a clean action which he would resort to now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, jokes asides, he chucks many times. I think he will just stop doing it now that ICC is going strict on bowling action.l He is perfectly capable of bowling with a clean action which he would resort to now.
Ashwin is a very smart cricketer the way he went about making his point about chucking was brilliant.

Same can be said about all bowlers sometime they chuck sometime they dont. So the question is are they allowed to chuck once in 10 deliveries? no problem for ICC?

Same can be said about all bowlers sometime they chuck sometime they dont. So the question is are they allowed to chuck once in 10 deliveries? no problem for ICC?
Ajmal chucked all his deliveries mate, Ashwin chucking one or two deliveries in meaningless club games when the rule was not enforced doesn't change that.

This whole campaign against Ashwin seems to be centered on getting one back on the rival, quite sad really :afaq

Last edited:
Pathetic stuff from some people. :facepalm:

You can't post something sensible and related to the OP, make fun of his English. :14:

You want me to come up with Asia Cup pictures? than some experts will jump saying no that was only because he changed his action at that time.

BxWWL0zIEAApVA3.jpg

Anyway, Ashwin doesn't chuck. He is as clean as a spinner can be these days.
First pic indicates he might, he may have thrown the odd ball here and there when under pressure. But I doubt he'll do it again with umpires keeping an eye out.

You want me to come up with Asia Cup pictures? than some experts will jump saying no that was only because he changed his action at that time.

BxWWL0zIEAApVA3.jpg
I reckon this kickstarted the campaign against chuckers, Ashwin did this to get his displeasure of chuckers out in public.

Guess it worked out well :narine

Pathetic stuff from some people. :facepalm:

You can't post something sensible and related to the OP, make fun of his English. :14:

No one is making fun of his English: it's a legitimate question: you produce one still pic from some Mickey mouse tournament and accuse a bowler of chucking. Its a big accusation to put out there.

Last edited:
No one is making fun of 'bis English': it's a legitimate question: you produce one still pic from some Michael mouse tournament and accuse a bowler of chucking. Its a big accusation to put out there.

If I resort to your behaviour, I can make fun of your eyesight because I typed "his English".:misbah

I do agree that it is a poor thread, though.

No one is making fun of his English: it's a legitimate question: you produce one still pic from some Mickey mouse tournament and accuse a bowler of chucking. Its a big accusation to put out there.

I saw you making fun of other people too but i dont mind and if you are proud and happy with your english skills no problem me! keep doing it

Btw in micky mouse tournaments other bowlers are warned and one is benched from international cricket what about him? i am talking about narine

youtube is banned in Pakistan share a dailymotion or other video link
Wanted to try new things, thinks others were getting a competitive edge by using more elbow and wearing full sleeves.

Didn't look happy when he said it either, looked quite - off lol

i just watched his whole spell from that match. i never thought of ashwin as a chucker but now i do.

ashwin bowls a leg break which is smashed out of the ground by maxwell and then ashwin bowls the most filthy chuck i have ever seen.

watch it here. around the 120 minute mark.

Said it in another thread. Junaid is going to get reported much before Ashwin does.

The Narine action, the full sleeves comment both done publicly - Ashwin is the whistle blower in this entire chucking saga. Got tons of abuse for those things and then the cookie crumbled.

Said it in another thread. Junaid is going to get reported much before Ashwin does.

The Narine action, the full sleeves comment both done publicly - Ashwin is the whistle blower in this entire chucking saga. Got tons of abuse for those things and then the cookie crumbled.
I wonder if Swann felt the same way.

I saw you making fun of other people too but i dont mind and if you are proud and happy with your english skills no problem me! keep doing it

Btw in micky mouse tournaments other bowlers are warned and one is benched from international cricket what about him? i am talking about narine
My friend, if it is not abundantly clear to you, let me lay it out, the icc drive to stamp out chuckers started after the IPL 2014. That's why Ajmal got banned when he did. Amd yes I find this entire thread to be as distasteful as any other since it reaks of pettiness because Ajmal is called banned, we need to burn ever other bowlers reputation to the ground.

Last edited:
I know he was experimenting in Asia Cup thats why i didn't add Asia Cup pics in OP and mentioned it there but what about IPL 2014 he was experimenting there too?
He threw a ball when the rule wasn't enforced, do you think Ashwin is stupid enough to do it again with the umpires now beginning to report players? :afaq

Wanted to try new things, thinks others were getting a competitive edge by using more elbow and wearing full sleeves.

Didn't look happy when he said it either, looked quite - off lol

Yes i just watched it through a web proxy site. I understand he was experimenting in Asia Cup as he mentioned fine but what about IPL that was a few months after Asia Cup? and surprisingly his only wicket taking delivery looks illegal

Yes i just watched it through a web proxy site. I understand he was experimenting in Asia Cup as he mentioned fine but what about IPL that was a few months after Asia Cup? and surprisingly his only wicket taking delivery looks illegal
If others can chuck there way to hundreds of international wickets, why can't Ashwin throw a delivery to get a wicket in a domestic tournament?

He threw a ball when the rule wasn't enforced, do you think Ashwin is stupid enough to do it again with the umpires now beginning to report players? :afaq

Or maybe he was aware that this crackdown is going to happen in this CLT20 so he was careful?

So now Ashwin is rested from the WI series after Narine was withdrawn. Co-incidence?

Ashwin 'rested', hafeez 'injured', narine withdrawn
Thing is, Ashwin has nothing to hide.

His action is as clean as it gets, if he's chucking there isn't a off spinner bowling legally today.

Thing is, Ashwin has nothing to hide.

His action is as clean as it gets, if he's chucking there isn't a off spinner bowling legally today.

Yes but I want to bring my posts in line with the tonality of the thread.

OP Ashwin bowled lots of overs in England when the anti-chucking drive of ICC was on. I am sure you are going trough the pics and videos of the England tour to see if you can pluck out some evidence of him chucking.

Waiting for that pic.

Everyone knows Ashwin's delivery to Maxwell and that Asia Cup matches (first 2 atleast) were chucks.

That was before the crackdown.

Ashwin bowls the WORST doosra (which he does rarely in IPL only) and he bowled one to Maxwell.

OP Ashwin bowled lots of overs in England when the anti-chucking drive of ICC was on. I am sure you are going trough the pics and videos of the England tour to see if you can pluck out some evidence of him chucking.

Waiting for that pic.

The question is are you allowed to chuck here and there?

Sorry but it looks like i touched many sensitive souls here with this thread.

Yes. Before the crackdown you were allowed to chuck full time cos everyone was doing it and no one was getting reported.

On a pure technical level, yes he chucked those deliveries.

Yes. Before the crackdown you were allowed to chuck full time cos everyone was doing it and no one was getting reported.

On a pure technical level, yes he chucked those deliveries.

Thank GOD at least someone is giving a neutral opinion and that is coming from the biggest fan of Ashwin on this forum if i am not wrong. #RespectSIF

I never said Ashwin chuck all the times my point was he do chuck here and there if he wants.

Still pictures won't really help you advance your argument as you can't tell the degree of extension from a still picture. If we had a video it would help.

Last edited:
Thank GOD at least someone is giving a neutral opinion and that is coming from the biggest fan of Ashwin on this forum if i am not wrong. #RespectSIF

I never said Ashwin chuck all the times my point was he do chuck here and there if he wants.

I know you, bud.

I know you never said that.

Reg chucking here and there, here's the thing:

Ashwin has a couple of seriously dodgy deliveries in his repertoire which he uses in IPL only (in rare cases). In IPL 2013 after the Australia series, he was trying all sorts of deliveries for practice (and was getting whacked for sixes due to them being half trackers).

In the international level, he never used these deliveries. In Aisa Cup he changed his action to the Narine's one for 2 matches or so (still couldn't run through any batting lineup :))) ) but that's it.

Rare IPL games and those 2 Asia Cup matches was all he did.

After the Asia Cup, in the WC T20 2014, he shifted back to his original action and did fine.

Last edited:
Still pictures won't really help you advance your argument as you can't tell the degree of extension from a still picture.

Yes but judging from Ajmal and Sena's testing results, Ashwin's delivery to Maxwell is a 40 degree chuck.

I know he was experimenting in Asia Cup thats why i didn't add Asia Cup pics in OP and mentioned it there but what about IPL 2014 he was experimenting there too?

He said in that interview that he will do it again as others are getting advantage by using more of the elbow.I watched that bowl to MAxwell and it was like a doosra.

I know you, bud.

I know you never said that.

Reg chucking here and there, here's the thing:

Ashwin has a couple of seriously dodgy deliveries in his repertoire which he uses in IPL only (in rare cases). In IPL 2013 after the Australia series, he was trying all sorts of deliveries for practice (and was getting whacked for sixes due to them being half trackers).

In the international level, he never used these deliveries. In Aisa Cup he changed his action to the Narine's one for 2 matches or so (still couldn't run through any batting lineup :))) ) but that's it.

Rare IPL games and those 2 Asia Cup matches was all he did.

After that, in the WC T20 2014, he shifted back to his original action and did fine.

Yes and i think he is no more going for those dodgy deliveries again with all these crackdowns around. Btw we are going back to pre saqlain era of off-spin and with these powerplays and field rules off-spinners will suffer but i hope we will get to see more leg spinners i love watching legspin!

Why not umpires check "Suspected Chucking" when they ask the 3rd umpire to check the no-ball whenever they have any doubts.

lol of course when everyone around him is chucking his way to wickets, he also will do that. Had at least the honesty to come out and talk about it publicly unlike others who are still going around saying Oh but I have bowled like this all along without being chucked.

Also, even if Ashwin goes on to get reported and banned for chucking, you will not see anyone come out and call this a targeted campaign or an attempt to harm India's chances

He looks absolutely fine there. Can't see a considerable bend anywhere.
Yup.But he did chuck a few during the asia cup and after that and he openly said that he would use more"elbow" as others are doing it and getting an advantage out if it.

The hypocrisy from those that are defending Ashwin is laughable.

".but but Ashwin only chucked 1 or 2 deliveries".

A great OP and thread. These same people defending Ashwin here are the same ones that are crying and slating Ajmal or bringing him up in every other thread like the Narine ones.

The hypocrisy from those that are defending Ashwin is laughable.

".but but Ashwin only chucked 1 or 2 deliveries".

A great OP and thread. These same people defending Ashwin here are the same ones that are crying and slating Ajmal or bringing him up in every other thread like the Narine ones.
Ajmal chucked for years
Ashwin chucked for a small ODI series to bring attention to the chuckers like :narine and :ajmal
Truly magnificent job,he succeeded

Ajmal chucked for years
Ashwin chucked for a small ODI series to bring attention to the chuckers like :narine and :ajmal
Truly magnificent job,he succeeded

And what about Harbajhan Singh ??

How many chucks did he bowl for India ?? Thousands to get 700 wickets.

Hypocrites.

I see people are still upset about Ajmal being proven a blatant chucker :ajmal

OP,

You do realise that bowling with a bent elbow is not chucking right?

Chucking is bending and then extending the elbow more than 15 degrees. So we need to see what Ashwins elbow angle was just before release and then again at the point of release.

Hypocrites.

No one is a hypocrite here. If Bhajji chucked like Ajmal today, and if he was playing international Cricket too, then he would have been banned as well. :)

i just watched his whole spell from that match. i never thought of ashwin as a chucker but now i do.

ashwin bowls a leg break which is smashed out of the ground by maxwell and then ashwin bowls the most filthy chuck i have ever seen.

watch it here. around the 120 minute mark.

That was a blatant chuck, also the ball spun the other way like a doosra.

On another note, that score of 148 after 13 overs. :murali

The only person sensitive here is you and some other Pak fans.

You guys have become obsessed with getting Ashwin banned and getting 'one back' after your champion bowler was exposed as a cheat in front of the whole world :ajmal

Hypocrites.
Next he plays international cricket report him test him and then if he fails the test ban him like Ajmal.I assure you Indians wont be whining like you.

Ajmal is not the culprit nor is pcb... its the icc for letting him play this long.

The only person sensitive here is you and some other Pak fans.

You guys have become obsessed with getting Ashwin banned and getting 'one back' after your champion bowler was exposed as a cheat in front of the whole world :ajmal

You look like a new user on PP this discussion was there even before all this ICC and CLT operation so get your facts right or do some research on this before posting.

Next he plays international cricket report him test him and then if he fails the test ban him like Ajmal.I assure you Indians wont be whining like you.

I doubt it, his throwing is not good enough for India anymore.

Pretty much every one chucks. True story.

Only in Lanka Land:afridi but no.

He is right an ICC study in 2004 showed that even many great pacers with smooth actions chuck too. not by 15 degree+ but they do it by 5 degree and 7 degree etc a naked eye can't see anything less than 15 degree it thats why we dont notice it.

You would be in my top 5 Indian apologists on PP.

Ashwin is definitely clean, see a lot of bitterness on this thread
Only bitterness is coming from his apologists. Both Harbhajjan and Ashwin chuck. Stay in denial all you want, but they've escaped because they're the favorite sons of the bully cricket board.

He is right an ICC study in 2004 showed that even many great pacers with smooth actions chuck too. not by 15 degree+ but they do it by 5 degree and 7 degree etc a naked eye can't see anything less than 15 degree it thats why we dont notice it.
Ye, I know that but I don't consider that chucking. It's impossible to bowl without a little bend. Bend your arm 5-10 degrees and you'll hardly notice the difference.

People are confused with bending with "BENDING AND THEN EXTENDING". Why hasn't people talked about Ashwin before Ajmal got caught ?

Last edited:
He doesn't actually chuck but some his deliveries certainly exceeds the limit. Same with Narine but is slightly worse than Ashwin when it comes to certain deliveries. But Ashwin has a clean action nonetheless.

I might be in a minority here but I don't think he does chuck these days.

Yup.But he did chuck a few during the asia cup and after that and he openly said that he would use more"elbow" as others are doing it and getting an advantage out if it.

So he admitted chucking basically. No matter what his reasons he gave, there is no excuse for chucking in a professional match, it's cheating basically. He should have stuck to the moral high ground, once you start indulging yourself, then you don't really have a leg to stand on.

Back