Does Ravichandran Ashwin chuck?

So he admitted chucking basically. No matter what his reasons he gave, there is no excuse for chucking in a professional match, it's cheating basically. He should have stuck to the moral high ground, once you start indulging yourself, then you don't really have a leg to stand on.

He did exactly what others were doing.Its hilarious to suggest that someone flexed his elbow by 30-40 degrees and didntknow he was doing that.

And Ashwin hasnt been reported for chucking ever nor been banned.

Some of his deliveries do look dodgy. He looks better than Ajmal but no better than Hafeez. Very hard to say whether he chucks or not from the naked eye. But then I thought Hazfeez was under 15 degrees.

If only we had a system in place that checked every suspect bowler equally, we'd be able to tell whether he does or doesn't.

He did exactly what others were doing.Its hilarious to suggest that someone flexed his elbow by 30-40 degrees and didntknow he was doing that.

And Ashwin hasnt been reported for chucking ever nor been banned.

But the others have been banned for chucking, so when you say he did exactly what those guys did, then you must be agreeing that he is a cheat. After all, no one forced him to do it, he did it of his own accord in a professional match. How would you describe it?

But the others have been banned for chucking, so when you say he did exactly what those guys did, then you must be agreeing that he is a cheat. After all, no one forced him to do it, he did it of his own accord in a professional match. How would you describe it?
ICC allowed the likes of Ajmal Senanayeke etc to flex their elbow by as much as 40 degrees.Ashwin also tried to do the same in couple of tournaments as ICC was allowing it.When ICC cracked the whip and Ajmal etc were banned Ashwin had already stopped using such an action hence he hasnt bee reported.

ICC allowed the likes of Ajmal Senanayeke etc to flex their elbow by as much as 40 degrees.Ashwin also tried to do the same in couple of tournaments as ICC was allowing it.When ICC cracked the whip and Ajmal etc were banned Ashwin had already stopped using such an action hence he hasnt bee reported.

Fine, so then we can agree that all bowlers who were previously given the okay by the ICC shouldn't be described as chuckers. Ajmal and Murali should indeed be regarded as heroes then.

What does it matter? If he gets tested and passes it will be anarchy here with everyone screaming how it is a conspiracy, if he fails, it will be anarchy and everyone screaming how it is a conspiracy that it took this long, and then Pakistani's will sit and gloat for hours on end about how they are so much better than Indians, as though none of their players have cheated for this entire time.

I hate what this is doing between Pakistanis and Indians. We were finally finding some footing between one another and this has turned into an all out Pakistan v India battle. Luckily for us in the Western world (and Australia), we don't care about this nonsense.

Ashwin does chuck some times, but it seems he was making a statement and bringing the spot light on other blatant chuckers. I think he has stopped this now. He made that amply clear in one interview. ICC has to take the blame for the whole thing - they did nothing to curb this menace for decades and they gave the bowlers the false courage to chuck. I believe the ICC should not have banned so many chuckers all of a sudden - ICC should have given a warning to the bowlers to rectify their actions within a stipulated period and imposed the ban only after that. After all, it is the ICC's lethargy in addressing this problem that created so many chuckers in the first place.

The Indians are not going to select him till the start of the World Cup

Won't play all the matches in the WC either. Jadeja will be the preferred option and if Karan Sharma manages to do well in the tests will get a slot ahead of Ashwin

Feel it is a good time to bump this thread. Loads of accusations directed at Ashwin being thrown around in the Hafeez thread.

Let's have some video evidences to back them up. :)

Fine, so then we can agree that all bowlers who were previously given the okay by the ICC shouldn't be described as chuckers. Ajmal and Murali should indeed be regarded as heroes then.

Very good logic.

ICC allowed the likes of Ajmal Senanayeke etc to flex their elbow by as much as 40 degrees.Ashwin also tried to do the same in couple of tournaHments as ICC was allowing it.When ICC cracked the whip and Ajmal etc were banned Ashwin had already stopped using such an action hence he hasnt bee reported.

No.

It's not so simple. as you are saying. It is very difficult, near impossible for a chucker to get their action right in each and every delivery they bowl even if they want it wholeheartedly. By bending elbow these off spinners get extra benefit in their delivery and they use those deliveries as wicket taking deliveries. And so did Aswin. He is as effective and sharp at present as wicket taking bowler as he was before. According to you he used to chuck one or 2 deliveries intentionally, now he don't.Then how he is still so effective?

Look at Hafeez. He was never that kind of chucker like Ajmal whom you can say with your naked eyes that O this lad is chucking. He was suspicious, he was tested, confirmed as chucker,got cleared again by cleaning his action and now again reported, tested and again caught. Hafeez is getting it difficult to get it right.

So how on earth Aswin is getting it right?He should be tested . His each and every delivery. I am sure he will get caught

No.

It's not so simple. as you are saying. It is very difficult, near impossible for a chucker to get their action right in each and every delivery they bowl even if they want it wholeheartedly. By bending elbow these off spinners get extra benefit in their delivery and they use those deliveries as wicket taking deliveries. And so did Aswin. He is as effective and sharp at present as wicket taking bowler as he was before. According to you he used to chuck one or 2 deliveries intentionally, now he don't.Then how he is still so effective?

Look at Hafeez. He was never that kind of chucker like Ajmal whom you can say with your naked eyes that O this lad is chucking. He was suspicious, he was tested, confirmed as chucker,got cleared again by cleaning his action and now again reported, tested and again caught. Hafeez is getting it difficult to get it right.

So how on earth Aswin is getting it right?He should be tested . His each and every delivery. I am sure he will get caught

did Sunny reported yet :ajmal

Ashwin dies not chuck like Ajmal/Hafeez. Has a clean action. Probably Harbhajan chucks, but not Ashwin.

then why Kane Williamson reported :usman

My point was, lets Sunny be tested.Along with Aswin. If Sunny is caught, we don't care. We don't want to live with a chucker.But some people want to save Aswin as he is their main weapon:inti

Ashwin doesn't chuck.

Ojha does/did though, and hope he's rectified it before we hit our upcoming tests in Asia coming up.

I wonder why Pakistan fans start the finger pointing game every time their bowler is caught in the net.

Either don't chuck or don't get caught.

And if you do get caught, don't get caught in the same net twice.

Fool me once...

Simple.

No.

Umpires know it too. They probably report only bowlers who do it more often. If a clean bowler bowls 200 deliveries in a match, he may bowl a handful with an illegal action inadvertently, in the same way he bowl wides and noballs - say just two or three. But a habitual chucker may bowl a higher number of deliveries with an illegal action, say upto 25% of all deliveries bowled. Umpires can clearly look for this habitual chucking and report him.

Ashwin does not chuck. Infact he is the one whose press conference initiated this mass investigation on chuckers.

He himself is pretty clean though.

My point was, lets Sunny be tested.Along with Aswin. If Sunny is caught, we don't care. We don't want to live with a chucker.But some people want to save Aswin as he is their main weapon:inti

Whom exctly you want to test Ashwin? You, me or the members on this forum? You want someone to randomly go to Ashwin and drag him to testing lab?

It simply does not work that way. If the onfield umpire find any bowlers with suspicious action they report to match referee. The reason why umpires are given the task because they are the closest to the bowler and give much better perspective of bowler's action than viewers in TV.

If you really think Ashwin chucks, why didn't Bangladeshi umpires reported him to match referee when he was there for good 20 days?

Last edited:
Umpires know it too. They probably report only bowlers who do it more often. If a clean bowler bowls 200 deliveries in a match, he may bowl a handful with an illegal action inadvertently, in the same way he bowl wides and noballs - say just two or three. But a habitual chucker may bowl a higher number of deliveries with an illegal action, say upto 25% of all deliveries bowled. Umpires can clearly look for this habitual chucking and report him.

As far as i can remember,in test lab Ajmal and Senanayeke were told to bowl every variety of deliveries they can bowl. The doosra of Ajmal and the ball of Senanayeke that goes straight on were the main culprit .Yes, these 2 deliveries were being randomly being bowled by those 2 as these were troubling batsmen.Aswin has also got some special one like carrom ball which also goes straight on and he can also bowl doosra . I h have a very strong suspicion over these 2 deliveries about legitimacy. Aswin will not be caught with his off spinners which I think as clean.

As far as i can remember,in test lab Ajmal and Senanayeke were told to bowl every variety of deliveries they can bowl. The doosra of Ajmal and the ball of Senanayeke that goes straight on were the main culprit .Yes, these 2 deliveries were being randomly being bowled by those 2 as these were troubling batsmen.Aswin has also got some special one like carrom ball which also goes straight on and he can also bowl doosra . I h have a very strong suspicion over these 2 deliveries about legitimacy. Aswin will not be caught with his off spinners which I think as clean.

Ashwin's doosra is a chuck which he never uses for international cricket. Even in the past, he used it only in IPL (that too rarely like 2-3 balls in total and that too before the clampdown started).

His carrom is clean cos you need strong fingers to do that. No elbow needed like doosra. No bowler (Mendis, Ashwin, Herath) will ever be called for bowling a carrom.

The reason why most off spinners go for doosra instead of carrom (when both deliveries go away from righties) is that doosra is more lethal and controllable than carrom.

Last edited:
How far does Ashwin's elbow bend?

Looking at the recent stills shown on cricinfo and bear in mind all the controversy off spinners have undergone in recent times Ashwin seems to have a very similar elbow bend to Hafeez but has he ever been tested and if not why not?
In my opinion all chest on spinners should be tested promptly. As Hafeez, Harbajan, Ajmal, Narine and numerous others with chest on actions have been tested why not Ashwin??

As a shareholder in the cricket industry (paying public) how can we influence this testing to occur. I fully respect the talents of any spin bowler but they should be on a level playing field.

Umpires will test those bowlers whose action they deem suspect.

Ashwin's action is not suspect, hence there is no reason for the umpires to test him.

How can you be sure it's not suspect? It looks suspect with the naked eye, he's a chest on bowler and how long did Ajmal, Hafeez bowl for before being called by an umpire? Do we really need to wait or get everyone tested to be completely transparent?

Umpires will test those bowlers whose action they deem suspect.

Ashwin's action is not suspect, hence there is no reason for the umpires to test him.

Leave umpires, mamoon. Do you think his action is borderline suspect just like Hafeez?

I think it is.

Leave umpires, mamoon. Do you think his action is borderline suspect just like Hafeez?

I think it is.

I think his action is clean. The only time I found him suspect was during the 2014 Asia Cup and the IPL that followed.

It was a time when he used to publicly whine about chuckers. However, his own performance dipped at that time and since then, he has reverted back to his original action which I believe is clearly within the limits.

Some people won't like to hear it but I firmly believe that there is another chucker in Pakistan who, if returns to the national team, will be called out for chucking soon if he bowls with his current action.

His name is Junaid Khan, and Pakistan should make him fix his action in the newly setup biomechanical lab in Lahore if they intend to reselect him, which I hope they don't.

How can you be sure it's not suspect? It looks suspect with the naked eye, he's a chest on bowler and how long did Ajmal, Hafeez bowl for before being called by an umpire? Do we really need to wait or get everyone tested to be completely transparent?

Ajmal's chucking could be seen from the moon.

Hafeez did not look suspect to the naked eye but it is also clear to the naked eye is that the degree of straightening in Ashwin's elbow is less compared to Hafeez.

It is not an issue of transparency. Why should the umpires test a bowler if they don't find his action suspect?

It is down to the discretion of the umpires.

For those that claim his action is fine, are you saying he's been tested? If not I don't think we can say he's clean.

For those that claim his action is fine, are you saying he's been tested? If not I don't think we can say he's clean.

As long as the umpires think that his action is fine, there is no reason for him to be tested.

As long as the umpires think that his action is fine, there is no reason for him to be tested.

That's not cricket I'm afraid. We all waited way too long for Ajmal to be tested. Even Ajmal himself would have been better off getting tested earlier

Ashwins only gotten away with a ban because he stopped bowling his Doosra, which intact wasn't very useful to him and not as dangerous as Ajmals, Nariane or Hafeez's so he started moaning about how doosra bowlers are chucking.

I still think there is enough in his action to raise suspect but it will only happen if Aussies or the Poms moan about it but they won't because of the being part of the big 3.

Are you happy for Junaid to continue bowling before the umpires call him? Lol

No, because I don't want Pakistan to be known for producing another chucker. I think India have done well in this regard, they stop picking Ojha because he had started to chuck.

That's not cricket I'm afraid. We all waited way too long for Ajmal to be tested. Even Ajmal himself would have been better off getting tested earlier

ICC got serious about chucking after the Big 3 takeover, and all bowlers with suspect actions have been tested.

However, if a bowler's action is not suspect, there is no reason for him to be tested.

Ajmal's chucking could be seen from the moon.

Hafeez did not look suspect to the naked eye but it is also clear to the naked eye is that the degree of straightening in Ashwin's elbow is less compared to Hafeez.

It is not an issue of transparency. Why should the umpires test a bowler if they don't find his action suspect?

It is down to the discretion of the umpires.

Ajmal always chucked, every single ball he bowled in his entire cricketing career.

No, because I don't want Pakistan to be known for producing another chucker. I think India have done well in this regard, they stop picking Ojha because he had started to chuck.

So if there is a consensus he has a dodgy action you should respect that too and not get on your high horse about Junaid. Junaid has been playing for a number of years in England - I'm sure if he was dodgy he would have been tested. Before you mention Ajmal playing in England, he was tested and passed hence Worcestershire being confident in his action.

Ajmal always chucked, every single ball he bowled in his entire cricketing career.

Yes. He is a stain on Pakistan cricket history, who should not be remembered at all.

A cheat who cheated his way to win many matches for Pakistan and hamper many careers.

ICC got serious about chucking after the Big 3 takeover, and all bowlers with suspect actions have been tested.

However, if a bowler's action is not suspect, there is no reason for him to be tested.

Ashwin's action is very suspect! lol
I'm failing to see how you can't see that? Or are you being deliberately argumentative? lol

Are you happy for Junaid to continue bowling before the umpires call him? Lol

Strange that you think Junaid a chucker?

Why do Lancashire keep giving him county contracts season after season if they thought he was chucking. County cricket pulls cricketers that chuck straight away in England and the the players are sent to Loughborough for diagnosis. Also Peter Moores wouldn't ruin his credibility by signing a chucking oversees player every season

So if there is a consensus he has a dodgy action you should respect that too and not get on your high horse about Junaid. Junaid has been playing for a number of years in England - I'm sure if he was dodgy he would have been tested. Before you mention Ajmal playing in England, he was tested and passed hence Worcestershire being confident in his action.

Getting called in domestic cricket and getting called in international cricket are too different things.

The only consensus on Ashwin's action is that he is not a chucker. It is a myth propagated by a few Pakistani fans only.

As far as Junaid's action is concerned, you will find that I am not the only one who thinks so. There is a thread on PP about it and you will find quite a few people agreeing with me.

Nonetheless, if Junaid returns and bowls with the same action but does not get called, I won't talk about his chucking because it is not my call.

However, I do believe that he will be called if he bowls with the same action.

Strange that you think Junaid a chucker?

Why do Lancashire keep giving him county contracts season after season if they thought he was chucking. County cricket pulls cricketers that chuck straight away in England and the the players are sent to Loughborough for diagnosis. Also Peter Moores wouldn't ruin his credibility by signing a chucking oversees player every season

Ajmal was signed by Worcestershire in the summer of 2014 when he was at the peak of his chucking.

In fact, Vaughan also whined about it on Twitter with a picture of his action. County umpires did nothing about and neither did Worcestershire cancel his contract.

However, Pakistani fans on PP certainly hissed about Vaughan being a bigot.

Two months later, he went to Sri Lanka and got reported by the umpires for chucking.

Hence, the claim that Lancashire keep giving him country contracts is no proof that he is not a chucker.

Ajmal was signed by Worcestershire in the summer of 2014 when he was at the peak of his chucking.

In fact, Vaughan also whined about it on Twitter with a picture of his action. County umpires did nothing about and neither did Worcestershire cancel his contract.

However, Pakistani fans on PP certainly hissed about Vaughan being a bigot.

Two months later, he went to Sri Lanka and got reported by the umpires for chucking.

Hence, the claim that Lancashire keep giving him country contracts is no proof that he is not a chucker.

your argument is invalid because you very well know the ruling on arm bends got changed about 18 months ago and after that Ajmal has had no Worcestershire or any other country contract.

Why wouldn't any county sign Ajmal when he was in the legal limits..... Just like why wouldn't Lancashire sign Junaid season after season when theres nothing wrong with his action. Until a new limit says so and he fails to comply by the limits.

your argument is invalid because you very well know the ruling on arm bends got changed about 18 months ago and after that Ajmal has had no Worcestershire or any other country contract.

Why wouldn't any county sign Ajmal when he was in the legal limits..... Just like why wouldn't Lancashire sign Junaid season after season when theres nothing wrong with his action. Until a new limit says so and he fails to comply by the limits.
What rule was changed?It was and is 15 degrees.Only testing methods were improved.

The law and regulations on chucking haven't changed for about 12 years...

Last edited:

Unfortunately, facts don't agree with your fiction.

Ajmal was playing for Worcestershire throughout June 2014, while Senanayake was reported by the umpires on May 31, 2014.

Hence, Ajmal continued to play for Worcestershire after the ICC got serious about chucking, which shows that you can get away with chucking while playing County, which shows that just because Junaid has been playing for Lancashire without getting suspended does not mean that he is not chucking.

Ajmal was playing for Worcestershire throughout June 2014, while Senanayake was reported by the umpires on May 31, 2014.

Hence, Ajmal continued to play for Worcestershire after the ICC got serious about chucking, which shows that you can get away with chucking while playing County, which shows that just because Junaid has been playing for Lancashire without getting suspended does not mean that he is not chucking.

Maybe Worcester didn't want him tested because he's just been tested!??

Junaid should be tested and so should Ashwin. Agree?

Junaid Khan doesn't chuck or he would have been called up in the county game just like Vaughan calling out Ajmal

Junaid Khan doesn't chuck or he would have been called up in the county game just like Vaughan calling out Ajmal

Ajmal did not get called up during County.

Junaid is not a big chucker like Ajmal, he is borderline like Hafeez. Probably around 20-25 degrees, while Ajmal was 40+.

Borderline chuckers are generally scrutinized by the public less than blatant chuckers. That is why most people were critical of Ajmal's action before he got tested as compared to Hafeez.

In fact, many thought Hafeez had a clean action, while everyone knew Ajmal is a chucker. Everyone but blind Ajmal fan-boys.

Ajmal did not get called up during County.

Junaid is not a big chucker like Ajmal, he is borderline like Hafeez. Probably around 20-25 degrees, while Ajmal was 40+.

Borderline chuckers are generally scrutinized by the public less than blatant chuckers. That is why most people were critical of Ajmal's action before he got tested as compared to Hafeez.

In fact, many thought Hafeez had a clean action, while everyone knew Ajmal is a chucker. Everyone but blind Ajmal fan-boys.

Many people believe Ashwin chucks hence he should be tested. Thanks for clearing things up

Maybe Worcester didn't want him tested because he's just been tested!??

Junaid should be tested and so should Ashwin. Agree?

He was tested after his stint with Worcestershire in May/June 2014, when he played Tests in Sri Lanka in August 2014.

Worcestershire re-signed Ajmal in 2015 when he had cleared the bowling test and was bowling with a legal action.

Why should he?Just because you want him to be?

Lyon Moeen Ali Herath Jadeja Mishra Yasir Zulfiqar etc etc havent been tested either.

Because Ashwin looks like he chucks - that's why! lol
Anyone who looks like they chuck should be tested - better to be safe right?

Many people believe Ashwin chucks hence he should be tested. Thanks for clearing things up

No worries.

Many people believe many things, but they are not the one to call the shots.

As long as the concerned authority (the umpires) does not believe that Ashwin's action is suspect, there is no reason to test him.

He was tested after his stint with Worcestershire in May/June 2014, when he played Tests in Sri Lanka in August 2014.

Worcestershire re-signed Ajmal in 2015 when he had cleared the bowling test and was bowling with a legal action.

He'd been cleared before that too if I remember correctly.

Missing the question, Junaid should be tested and so should Ashwin, agree?

No worries.

Many people believe many things, but they are not the one to call the shots.

As long as the concerned authority (the umpires) does not believe that Ashwin's action is suspect, there is no reason to test him.

Your logic is mystifying. On one hand you'd like the umpires to call the shots and on the other you'd like to? lol you're a very confuses character it seems. Junaid is dodgy so he should be tested and on the same grounds of reasoning so should Ashwin, correct?

Your logic is mystifying. On one hand you'd like the umpires to call the shots and on the other you'd like to? lol you're a very confuses character it seems. Junaid is dodgy so he should be tested and on the same grounds of reasoning so should Ashwin, correct?

No, I explained it already in post #133.

I am not saying the umpires SHOULD test Junaid, but I think that they WILL test Junaid if he continues to bowl with his current action in international cricket.

If he does bowl with the same action and the umpires still don't test him, I will stop calling him a chucker and will respect the decision of the umpires, since they are the ones to make the call not me.

Great answer. Umpires get it wrong for years - just look how long Ajmal got away with it for.

ICC were not serious about chuckers until the Big 3 takeover. However, Ajmal didn't survive for long once they got serious.

All bowlers barring big 3. Ashwin's action does raise an eye browse or two and so does Jadeja's but we all know that they will never be called or tested.

Sent from my SM-N750 using Tapatalk

Yes. He is a stain on Pakistan cricket history, who should not be remembered at all.

A cheat who cheated his way to win many matches for Pakistan and hamper many careers.
Are you serious ??

All bowlers barring big 3. Ashwin's action does raise an eye browse or two and so does Jadeja's but we all know that they will never be called or tested.

That is because both Ashwin and Jadeja have clean actions.

Back