Eng vs SL: First Test

zMario said:
Well, it'll make it easier for England to roll over the Lankans

That changes the match doesn't it?

They were getting smashed before Sangakkara got out. They're still getting smashed.

Match has changed how exactly?

A very flat bowling display from the England seamers. Certainly Flintoff seems to be pacing himself for a long summer.

Monty never fails to cheer me up though, 2 wickets and he should have had a third.

Oh and Liverpool winning the cup helps of course..:D

Man, I'm wondering if SL has become weaker, or England has become better...

Close of play, Sri Lanka 183-3, 35 overs bowled in this session, 90 runs, 2 wickets.

DAY 3 has ended, and well, England will look to wrap the game up tomorrow

Come on Sri Lanka make comback!!!

Defenite this game is match-fixed...

S.L 204/3

jayawardena and mahroof men in middle.

Maharoof is playing superbly. As Holding said it "oh yes, oh yes"

shot of the morning for mahroof.. lovely square drive!

82.4 Hoggard to Jayawardene, no run, oh! cut him in half! pitched on a length, outside the off stump and it came back off the seam and caught Jayawardene by surprise.

82.3 Hoggard to Jayawardene, no run, hmm... beaten! again outside off and shaping away. Jayawardene ends up offering a a tentative poke at it but plays inside the line. no harm done

83.5 Flintoff to Maharoof, no run, oh! another beauty, in the corridor of uncertainty and Maharoof has a nibble at it and is beaten

83.3 Flintoff to Maharoof, no run, a jaffa! full and it drifted in towards the off stump before shaping away and Maharoof is beaten all hands up. Lovely delivery

A wicket is just around the corner I feel!

Last edited:
84.6 Hoggard to Jayawardene, no run, dropped! this was a sitter. Pitched on the off stump line and shapes ever so slightly away and Mahela pushes at it and it goes straight to Strauss in the slips but ....

What the hell is going on???

SL have been very lucky this morning with dropped catches and edges falling short of fielders. They are living dangerously!

Beautiful straight drive by Maharoof.

Superbly played.

Now, a glorious SIX for Maharoof.

Well played, he's playing well.

50 for Maharoof, brought up by that magnificent pulled SIX.

England must be kicking themsleves. Thye could have had SL 5 or 6 down with a bit of luck.

finally the wicket falls

mahmood gets Maharoof!!

4 down now SL

350 for 5 now (9 behind)

Jayawardene is on 108 and Dilshan is on 24.

SL should be looking to just bat, bat, bat and bat. With a little help from the weather, they could still get out of this.

Are they still off for light or have they restarted?

Waisay, great innings by Jayawardene.

Tremendous fight back by Sri Lanka. Cannot wait to see the highlights.

Just six runs behind with 5 wickets remaining. You never know.......even if they get a lead of 120-150, strange things can happen.

360 for 5!!

Sri Lanka LEAD by 1 run

:))) :)))

England's players in fielding practice, practice dropping catches so they can catch the rebound

Micheal Holding was really taking some shots and i was loving it !! Loved it when he said "its like a fast bowler practicing bowling no balls" :))) :))) :)))

Only in England :))) :)))

Last edited:
Jayawardana given out by Aleem Dar - didnt l;ook like he edged/gloved it to GoJo - gone for 119.

After all the replays - a very poor decision by Aleem. Nowhere near it! Just hit his jumper!

Pathan007 said:
another bad decision from Aleem Dar. showing his true "Ghulami" colors :12:
Thats harsh.

He umpired very well in the Ashes.

All umpires give bad decision from time to time...

Dar once again shows his true English colours :).

Watch out ladies, gents and Entra. Dilshan and Chamara Kapugedera at the crease. These 2 won't hang about.

zaf1986 said:
Thats harsh.

It was a contest between him and Bucknor, who can give the most wrong decisions against Australia. Brilliant game imo :D

zaf1986 said:
Thats harsh.

so far in this test he has given all decisions(i think 5)in favour of Eng.

he isnt anywhere near his best

i was surprised to see him bowl in the late 70s yesterday

Pathan007 said:
so far in this test he has given all decisions(i think 5)in favour of Eng.

Dar missed a bat pad catch off Monty's bowling. I think Maharoof was the batsmen.

That was a brilliant innings from Jayawardene. Not only did he play with his typical gracefulness, but he showed great self-control and courage.

He might be one of those players for whom captaincy brings a more responsible edge to their batting.

ggm said:
That was a brilliant innings from Jayawardene. Not only did he play with his typical gracefulness, but he showed great self-control and courage.

He might be one of those players for whom captaincy brings a more responsible edge to their batting.
Great celebrations when he got his 100 - the opposition feel that Lords is the place to perform

381 for 6 (22 ahead)

I hope they survive at least the first session tomorrow. Another 100 runs will make England work for this victory.....and you never know if Murali comes up with the spell of his lifetime.

ggm said:

I have to say ive been impressed by jayawardena`s batting in this test. Ive always seen this guy as a flat track and poor attack bully. Hes always failed to do buisness against best bowling sides in world and also when conditions have been bowler friendly. Hes applied himself well today and has lead his side well with the bat, sadly the lack of potency and luck with the ball has let the team down.

403 for 6 now

44 runs ahead. Dilshan gets his 50. Keep going Sri Lanka!

410 for 7

51 ahead. 79 overs remaining.

Rainin here at Lords - from my view in the commentary box, I can see black cloud approaching from the South East - I expect full rain in 1 min

Shez said:
Oxy bhai do u think this test is going to be a draw?
I hope Sri Lnak win as it benefits Pak in the ICC ratings - but if that doesnt happen, I'll settle for a draw.

But I think Eng will win...

lunch taken SL 80 ahead with just 2 wickets remaining.

Eng will take a 1 - 0 lead Murli could have done something had they put up a lead like 150 plus

Very flat track though . . .

Its all over - curtains for SL - well played but not good enough...

MenInGreen said:
Its all over - curtains for SL - well played but not good enough...
:))) Its lunch & its raining. England will be the worried team....

Oxy™ said:
:))) Its lunch & its raining. England will be the worried team....

Oh yeah - anything to make me look stupid...

I think they've come out again.

449-8 (156.3) (90 runs ahead)

pakistani pride said:
are ENG bowling **** or is this a pakistani pancake track ?

Flat track, England have been out there for more than 150 overs.

New ball taken, Freddie bowling with it.

Vaas and Kulasekera at the crease, 18 and 23 respectively.

Back