England vs Pakistan | 2nd Test | Headingley, Leeds | June 1-5, 2018 | Day 1 | Match Thread

It's a 2 innings game, so not everything lost yet; but bowling first worked perfectly at Lord's, today's forecast was also gloomy. Morning doesn't show the day in UK summer, in north it's naughtier.

Mickey always takes the attacking option, but that doesn't always work with Pak. Not with this team as it's still a work in progress.

Playing 3 seamers in the UAE, batting first on a bowling friendly wicket. Brave but won't get you the results yet.

Cook - dud
Jennings - dud
Root - good for a 50
Malan - dud
Bairstow - don’t know...
Buttler - won’t do much

If we can get Cook or Jennings out in the first 2-3 overs (quite likely) and expose Root to the new ball we can easily bowl England out for less than 150.

There you go about to reach 100 comfortably.

These new boys in the Pak side know how to fight.... you guys need to relax. As they say, it's not over till the fat lady sings.

It's a bit uncomfortable situation for Sarfraz if Amir starts to out score him in more often than not.

These new boys in the Pak side know how to fight.... you guys need to relax. As they say, it's not over till the fat lady sings.

We have been thoroughly exposed and a reality check was always on the cards.

that was Misbah's formula: let the opposition bat first, get them out cheaply, then bat only once

Misbah had won probably 70% of his tosses - how many times had he inserted teams in?

13th over for Broad can't imagine him going on for much longer

Should have bowled first on these conditions

Horrid shot again from Sarfaraz to get out!

Ideal conditions for swing bowling like our 2010 tour. Need a Amir's five fer similar to that tour aswell.

This would have been the story in the first Test as well, had Root done the right thing by opting to bowl.

I think 150 would be more than sufficient on this pitch to stay in the game.

Bhai Root kisi aur ko bhi over dehdo :danish

It is okay. This way they will get tired out and won't have the energy to bowl when the beast Hasan Ali is on the crease.

It is okay. This way they will get tired out and won't have the energy to bowl when the beast Hasan Ali is on the crease.

I hope we don't have to unleash the beast today :amir2 :shadab

Too many bad shots resulting in unnecessary wickets. Imam atricious shot in his first over, Sarfaraz playing across the line, Osman playing across the line. These three wickets were gifted away. The rest were well earned by the bowlers !!

This would have been the story in the first Test as well, had Root done the right thing by opting to bowl.

Goes both ways...had we bowled first then England might have been in the situation we are in right now...all ifs and buts...

And had Sarfaraz bowled first PAK would be batting right now. What happened on a sunny day 3 at LORDS to ENG in perfect batting conditions?

Pakistan just needs to fight. If we win then we win , if we lose no issues

If Shadab gets a 50 plus he should bat in the top 6 from next innings

You guys were pummelled 3-1 in 2014 by also a struggling English side the fact is like you side in 2014 this side is a work in progress I would be disappointed if they dont build up on this and lose the series in 2020 when this will be a more settled side.

Standard expected response. 4 yrs ago cook, Anderson, broad,etc were peak of their career. Now they are in their twilight. Wait and see how indian team performs this time. They missed the oppurtunity in SA mainly due to lack of preparation. Now they will be prepared well.

If Anderson and Broad keep bowling they are going to get burned-out.

Keep the resistance strong boys.

I fully expect Pakistan to roll up this England batting line up for 150 odd.... hence if we manage to crawl our way to 150 ourselves we will be in with a shout

Again digging hole - let Poms bat first, it's a 2 innings game. But yes, Haris, Asad & Sarfraz batted poor.

Unelievable fitness shown by Broad and Jimmie, bowling like machines since morning with great control.

Maybe they are going for the jugular.... if Shady and Amir see them off then it could be smooth sailing for the rest of the day.

And had Sarfaraz bowled first PAK would be batting right now. What happened on a sunny day 3 at LORDS to ENG in perfect batting conditions?
Lol. When you have 120run deficit, pitch condition don't matter much. People who have seen cricket enough know the difference.

I fully expect Pakistan to roll up this England batting line up for 150 odd.... hence if we manage to crawl our way to 150 ourselves we will be in with a shout

What do you mean by crawl? We are cruising to 150.

Damn didn't realize Woakes was playing and had picked up 2 wickets.... Ooops :broad:

Looking forward to a 50 runs partnership between these two.

I disagree. England were down and out before this match started. Now they have got the confidence back. Mark my word, England will score big in their first innings.

Hasan is perfectly capable of scoring a 50.

If only we had The Rahat sitting waiting in the hut... I would have been the most relaxed man on earth. Root would have been bricking

I disagree. England were down and out before this match started. Now they have got the confidence back. Mark my word, England will score big in their first innings.

Ok we will see mr. analyst who only shows up when Pakistan are down and goes into hiding when we are on top

34 run partnership already... long may it continue

I think, batting first was wrong choice for another reason - I read weather to clear out by Day 3; which might happen that both teams have a small 1st innings, then PAK again into bat under gloomy sky and whatever is target set, ENG starts chasing under Sun.

Really, really surprised at toss - I was almost like, did I hear correct?

I'm annoyed at Harry and Shafiq's ability to get in and throw it away match after match

Last over for Jimmie perhaps..... good times are here boys :salute

I'm happy they promoted Amir over Hasan

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Another 30 odd run partnership pleaseeeeee

Back