England vs Pakistan | 4th ODI | Nottingham | May 17th, 2019 | Pakistan innings

Hafeez and Malik cop their fair share of criticism, but it's a fact they are the best players of spin BY FAR in Pakistan right now.

Pakistan's chances against India rely on Hafeez and Malik fronting up to KulCha.

Malik has been getting our spin quite regularly. Please update your stereotype

Hafeez and Malik cop their fair share of criticism, but it's a fact they are the best players of spin BY FAR in Pakistan right now.

Pakistan's chances against India rely on Hafeez and Malik fronting up to KulCha.

Agreed with Hafeez but I noticed during the SA ODI series, Malik cannot crush spin the way he used too. His reflexes have gone and for someone who was never blessed with great timing, it's not exactly unexpected.

Rashid's bowling dollies...if i was Eng..i'd be quaking...last two matches they've leaked 700+ ....they are headed in 350 territory again....i would'nt be going down town with the two odi victories....

Their cricketing strategy is built on "we can score more than the opposition".... that is why they rely on bowlers who can bowl tight lines and lengths while not necessarily being the best wicket takers.

I have a bad feeling about Haris . . They always make him teh scape goat for the 2 seniors . . Although, I sttill think we need Hafeez in the XI, but Malik . . not sure . . but what I am absolutely sure of is taht we need Haris . .

People can say what they want about Malik, but he is still the player I want at the crease against Kuldeep, Chahal, Rashid Khan and Tahir etc., as we saw in the Asia Cup.

Rashid's bowling dollies...if i was Eng..i'd be quaking...last two matches they've leaked 700+ ....they are headed in 350 territory again....i would'nt be going down town with the two odi victories....

England’s bowling is the reason they aren’t winning this World Cup

That is 100% correct . . which is why I wouldn't drop Malik from the squad . . if its a hot summer, the pitches will start to help the spinners deeper into the tournament . .

People can say what they want about Malik, but he is still the player I want at the crease against Kuldeep, Chahal, Rashid Khan and Tahir etc., as we saw in the Asia Cup.

Even with an average of 13 since 2001?

Pak today has a good chance at restricting Eng.

Hafeez's spin might just save us. Malik should also bowl.

Yes he is still better than kaptaan

They are facing guy who is averaging 80 odd with the ball over the last few months

Next match. Sarfaraz Ahmed should be rested and haris should play. Captaincy should be done by hafeez not malik

Playing spin is more about experience than ability. Malik and Hafeez are veterans on this front.

What was the reason there weren't any high scoring games when India and England played together last time, in England.

You obviously didn't watch him bat against the spinners during the SA ODI series where he was struggling to show much intent.

I would agree with your statement if the WC was last year.

Ofcourse not but he's played 26 or so matches and his highest score was 77 I believe in 2016.

And it is not a coincidence that that 77 came in 2016. His numbers were poor in the Champions Trophy, but it was a very weird and unlucky tournament for him.

Feel free to pull up his last 15 games
I'm sure one of our Statsgurus here would love to. He hasn't been his impressive best in South Africa and against Zampa in the UAE recently, but nothing to suggest he is now ordinary against quality spin.

They might still get to that 350 odd score but the approach is wrong. Playing yourself in against lesser bowlers and doing the heavy lifting against the better bowlers. It’s a risky approach

Pakistan need 8/over for 350 and 10/over for 400. Won’t be easy considering Sarfraz and Malik are in next.

He was struggling to put away Mitchell Santner in NZ in 2018.

Not sure why for someone who constantly attacks the mediocrity of the Pakistan team would support someone whose record against top teams is the definition of mediocre despite 20 years experience.

You obviously didn't watch him bat against the spinners during the SA ODI series where he was struggling to show much intent.

I would agree with your statement if the WC was last year.

He is not going to lose his ability against spin overnight. The South African series could be an anomaly.

There's a catch in this. Pitches in UAE were slow in Asia Cup. Malik can play good in those conditions. Not here in England. That's why he has such a poor record here

I'm sure one of our Statsgurus here would love to. He hasn't been his impressive best in South Africa and against Zampa in the UAE recently, but nothing to suggest he is now ordinary against quality spin.

Yes that’s how maths works: when you play well for 15 years and play poorly for 2 years your overall figures don’t show the decline

You can either stop watching or enjoy Pakistan batting.

I'm enjoying Pakistan's batting but on the other end i don't want to see our bowlers getting hammered. Anything above 300 should be a competitive score but here 350 looks a standard score.

English conditions today are not the same as 2001.

He struggled during the 2016 tour barring the last game, when England decided to play Liam Dawson who just gave our batsmen freebies. In the other 4 ODIs, he was woeful.

It's laughable how Fakhar isn't your cup of tea but Shoaib Malik is your cigar.

Playing spin is more about experience than ability. Malik and Hafeez are veterans on this front.

Against spin our young lot is definitely no even close to the likes of these two.

That was in Asia where spinners are really effective if they are good. In England you dont need to be the best player of spin to be successful.

Terrific start. Pak should score in excess of 400 from here. Not sure even 400 is safe here.

He was struggling to put away Mitchell Santner in NZ in 2018.

Not sure why for someone who constantly attacks the mediocrity of the Pakistan team would support someone whose record against top teams is the definition of mediocre despite 20 years experience.

He also played Kuldeep, Chahal and Rashid better than anyone in the team only a month before struggling against Santner.

People here hoping for 350 while I'm just hoping they do not collapse to 250 :))

I would honestly not mind removing Imad from the team after WC if we find a proper spinner.

That was in Asia where spinners are really effective if they are good. In England you dont need to be the best player of spin to be successful.

Kuldeep ran rings around England last year before Root produced two masterclass knocks. Quality spin will play a big role in this World Cup.

Opening in LOIs seems to be the position where Pak can extract optimum results of Babar and thus for the teams. It also give right left combo, Imam can be moved to 1 down when he comes back in.

Yes that’s how maths works: when you play well for 15 years and play poorly for 2 years your overall figures don’t show the decline
He was good in the Asia Cup, which had quality spinners in every team. Had a decent knock of 61 against Zampa and Lyon in the UAE recently, where he dominated them.

Malik has his faults, but competency against spin isn't one of them.

Well, [MENTION=131701]Mamoon[/MENTION] does have his favorites (and dislikes).

You can't convince him no matter how mediocre those players are. :najam

Mickey couldn't find a spinner in 3 years what makes you think we 'll find one now?

I haven’t seen much of Umer Khan since PSL but is he good in ODI? He could possibly be the 2nd spinner.

Mickey couldn't find a spinner in 3 years what makes you think we 'll find one now?

I hope Mickey is sacked irrespective of our WC performance. Has failed to build a team.

Only 4 people have debuted since CT 17 which was 2 years ago. Imam, Shaheen, Abid and Hasnain (the last two have hardly played a match or two)

He was good in the Asia Cup, which had quality spinners in every team. Had a decent knock of 61 against Zampa and Lyon in the UAE recently, where he dominated them.

Malik has his faults, but competency against spin isn't one of them.

Play well = win. Play well, with 15 years of experience = nothing but a win

Good thing about playing against England's ridiculously OP batting line up is that it has forced our batsmen to be a lot more proactive and daynamic too. We're finally playing something resembling modern day cricket.

I haven’t seen much of Umer Khan since PSL but is he good in ODI? He could possibly be the 2nd spinner.

He should have been playing this series would have given a good look... but Its our Thick Tank who don't think so

Terrific start. Pak should score in excess of 400 from here. Not sure even 400 is safe here.

With Babar Azam accumulating and with Sarfraz + Malik to follow absolutely no chance unless Asif Ali and Imad Wasim can jump ahead of the batting order and wreak havoc.

I hope Mickey is sacked irrespective of our WC performance. Has failed to build a team.

Only 4 people have debuted since CT 17 which was 2 years ago. Imam, Shaheen, Abid and Hasnain (the last two have hardly played a match or two)

Teams do look for stability when its less than 2 years remaining for the world cup.

And it is not a coincidence that that 77 came in 2016. His numbers were poor in the Champions Trophy, but it was a very weird and unlucky tournament for him.

It came in a dead rubber and after he failed to show his experience in the previous few matches of the series.

There was nothing unlucky or weird about that tournament for him.

He's a poor batsman who punched above his weight for 20 years.

Ultimately it’s down to inzi, he has to bring the chopping axe down on one if not both of these players

Back