England vs South Africa | 2nd ODI | Trent Bridge| 26/08/2008

Saj

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
Play is due to start in just under half an hour at Nottingham.

England 1 Ian Bell, 2 Matt Prior (wk), 3 Owais Shah, 4 Kevin Pietersen (capt), 5 Andrew Flintoff, 6 Paul Collingwood, 7 Samit Patel, 8 Luke Wright, 9 Stuart Broad, 10 Steve Harmison, 11 James Anderson

South Africa 1 Graeme Smith (capt), 2 Herschelle Gibbs, 3 Jacques Kallis, 4 AB de Villiers, 5 JP Duminy, 6 Mark Boucher (wk), 7 Albie Morkel, 8 Johan Botha, 9 Andre Nel, 10 Dale Steyn, 11 Makhaya Ntini

Bopara for Collingwood looks like Englands only change. And South Africa have dropped Philander for Morkel.

G Smith has won the toss again and SA will bat
overcast conditions but rain not expected. I thought they will drop Luke Wright instead of Bopara to include Collingwood. I guess Wright can hit bigger but Bopara can bowl 3-4 overs too. Pietersen says that all the roles were assigned before the series started and Collingwood was in there. Bopara was included as his replacement so he is out

match starts in 5 min

It's starting now? That's great. I was bored cause i woke up for India vs Sri Lanka, but will settle for Eng vs SA.

Sad part is i bought the channel for India vs Sri Lanka than England vs South Africa :|

GREAT CATCH - by Prior (not often we've needed to say that!!)

1 hander - full length dive to dismiss Smith

25-2 (6)

Top stuff from Broad on his home pitch.

Its a real shame that we cant produce 90mph bowlers these days, yet the likes of England have them almost "coming out of their ears".

Broad strikes again - Kallis is his 3rd wicket. Fine catch at slip by Shah

26-3 (8)

If Broad plays in Pakistan, he won't able to hit even 84 MPH. It's pitch that increases the speed of fast bowler. Even Asif was hitting 88 MPH when played in England in 2006

Owais Shah strikes. Lured Kallis to edge it and he takes a catch at 1st slip.
Kallis 6 out ct off Broad. his 3rd wicket

Saj said:
Top stuff from Broad on his home pitch.

Its a real shame that we cant produce 90mph bowlers these days, yet the likes of England have them almost "coming out of their ears".

Its a lot easier to hit 90 mph on a supporting wicket, supporting weather then it is on a flat pitch, hot and placid conditions.

SA capitulating in 'security safe Nottingham!!!)

Broad gets his 4th! Hes got 4-9!

36-4!

Pakwatan said:
If Broad plays in Pakistan, he won't able to hit even 84 MPH. It's pitch that increases the speed of fast bowler. Even Asif was hitting 88 MPH when played in England in 2006

IF this....IF that..........

Fact.

Broad is hitting 90MPH with the rest of the England attack.

Asif & his sorry backside have spent the last 2 years banned, in jail and banned again.

Robin of Nottingham kush hua
Broad is taking a wicket every over now 5 overs 4 wickets for 9 runs
he has 52 ODI wickets now

Oxy said:
IF this....IF that..........

Fact.

Broad is hitting 90MPH with the rest of the England attack.

Asif & his sorry backside have spent the last 2 years banned, in jail and banned again.

but again, it's pitch that's reason make anyone much faster

Sami was consistently 95 MPH in England pitch, but back in Pakistan, hitting 86 - 88 MPH.. :D

Savak said:
Its a lot easier to hit 90 mph on a supporting wicket, supporting weather then it is on a flat pitch, hot and placid conditions.
It doesnt matter about the wicket, the weather or whatever else. If you can bowl 90mph, you can bowl 90mph anywhere.

Saj said:
It doesnt matter about the wicket, the weather or whatever else. If you can bowl 90mph, you can bowl 90mph anywhere.

That's what you are wrong about.

Take 4-6 MPH away if you bowl in dead pitch especially in Pakistan and India.

Pakwatan said:

The speed that the ball comes out of the hand - it doesnt make any difference what type of surface it is.

Pakwatan said:

Not true. The speed is measured out of the bowlers hand, not off the pitch. :asif

The truth is, England have got quite a few 90+mph bowlers. No point kidding ourselves by using the pitches as an excuse.

Frederick Flintof III joins in th eparty

He gets his 1st...ABDV LBW

SA 45-5 (15)

Once you bowl the ball in the middle of pitch, the speed become double time. Trust me.

I never seen Flintoff hitting 90 MPH in Pakistan pitch before. How come?

Pakwatan said:

Speed is measured before it even pitches - its the airspeed of the ball.

Pitch has NOTHING to do with it whatsoever!

TMS will speak with Micahel Vaughan during the innings break. Vaughan plays for Yorkshire tomorrow

Pakwatan said:
Once you bowl the ball in the middle of pitch, the speed become double time. Trust me.

Now you are just embarrasing yourself.

A ball pitched halfway down LOSES speed!!!

Its doesnt increase DOUBLETIME!!!

If that was the case, Lee, Akhtar & co would have hit speeds of 180-200 MPH!!!

'Trust Me'

Pakwatan said:

I'm pretty sure he has got close actually. But i'm sure we can put it down to heat/ conserving energy etc etc. But yeah, as Oxy said, the speed recorded by the speed gun has nothing to do with the pitch. The speed is recorded as soon as the ball leaves the bowlers hand. :akhtar

Oxy said:
Speed is measured before it even pitches - its the airspeed of the ball.

Pitch has NOTHING to do with it whatsoever!

But it does.

You will see the whole picture when Flintoff, and the rest of English bowlers bowl in India which England likely to tour for two test :D

Pakwatan said:
But it does.

You will see the whole picture when Flintoff, and the rest of English bowlers bowl in India which England likely to tour for two test :D

No, it does not :miandad

In addition to the pitch, conditions, weather i think it is also the rest period. The England team also have had 3-4 days rest in between the first and second ODI's and i have to say that is good for the fast bowlers. We might see global fast bowling speeds up if fast bowlers have a friendly international schedule.

Akhtar is the only bowler whom i have seen touch 150 km/hr everywhere. I have yet to see Lee do it in the Subcontinent, he restricts himself in the subcontinent while goes flat out in Australia and other pitches. The English attack were below top speed for their tour in 2005. So no, in my view a bowler should only be truely be considered worldclass if he performs in all conditions including absolutely doormats of wickets.

Meanwhile, at Nottingham.....

Preddie Plintoff gets his 2nd, and Eng's 6th wkt...Boucher leaves

50-6 (16.4)

Sorry stuff from the Saffers

Oxy said:
Now you are just embarrasing yourself.

A ball pitched halfway down LOSES speed!!!

Its doesnt increase DOUBLETIME!!!

If that was the case, Lee, Akhtar & co would have hit speeds of 180-200 MPH!!!

'Trust Me'

Akhtar did hit 95 MPH in Pakistan, but Lee hasn't. That's different for Lee.

None of English bowlers were close to 88 MPH let alone 90 MPH in Pakistan and in India as well

Stuart Broad gets his 1st 5th Wicket haul in international cricket

SA 53-7

Disaster for Saffers....

Pakwatan said:
Akhtar did hit 95 MPH in Pakistan, but Lee hasn't. That's different for Lee.

None of English bowlers were close to 88 MPH let alone 90 MPH in Pakistan and in India as well

Maybe...maybe not. I dont remember 'stats' like that.

But your claims that pitch contributes to speed...and that short pitch bowling DOUBLES bowling speeds....

well, they are seriously embarrassing claims!

Hopefully this will be the making of Stuart Broad - love watching him bat.

But his batting exploits want keep him in the team.

Steve Harmison comes on for his 1st bowl of the match...

Oxy said:
Maybe...maybe not. I dont remember 'stats' like that.

But your claims that pitch contributes to speed...and that short pitch bowling DOUBLES bowling speeds....

well, they are seriously embarrassing claims!

At the end, that point repeat over and over again and it proves itself.
Even though it doesn't make sense, but again, it's proven fact now :D

Hmmm...

And Steve HArmison strikes with his 1st ball.

He gets Andrea Nel

SA 68-8 (21.1)

Pakwatan said:
Repeating a fictional BS claim over & over & over again....doesnt make it a fact (except in your head)!

Pakwatan said:

No it is not! When the ball pitches, it slows down a heck of a lot! But again, this point is irrelevant because the speed is measured out of the hand! :sohail

Harmison strikes for the 2nd time in his 1st over.

Prior's taken a load of catches - Morkel is gone

72-9 (21.5)

Shayan said:
No it is not! When the ball pitches, it slows down a heck of a lot! But again, this point is irrelevant because the speed is measured out of the hand! :sohail

I think this 'Pakwatan' is a wind-up merchant.

lol at basic principles of physics being ignored.

and lol at SA. Are they playing on the actual outfield, or has the batting been poor?

Malik having another successful game here for England
Also Prior with the sixth catch

Oxy said:
Repeating a fictional BS claim over & over & over again....doesnt make it a fact (except in your head)!

Flintof barely hit 88 MPH in Pakistan, but hitting above 90 MPH in England....Wow...That's crazy...Why is that? :D

SA 83 all out (23)

Flintoff wraps it up.

Broad with 5 wkts, Freddie with 3, and Harmison with 2

Pakwatan said:
Coming from Moderator whose job is to instill Discipline in this site. Not surprised

If you are not a wind-up merchant, then you simply have no cricketing knowledge whatsoever....and have seriously disgraced yourself in this thread!

Take your pick....

SA 83 all out after 23 overs.
Nel the high scorer with 13
10 min break - not the innings break. The game might be over in 50 overs

Last edited:
Right... is this a mine field? Or will England canter to the target?

Oxy said:
If you are not a wind-up merchant, then you simply have no cricketing knowledge whatsoever....and have seriously disgraced yourself in this thread!

Take your pick....

Even if i could use the word like you. Everyone has different opinion. That's make us different.

Instead of talking like Mawali.....Try working on sensitivity NO MATTER WHAT

For God sake, maintain the language yaar.

Billy said:
Right... is this a mine field? Or will England canter to the target?
Lovely track. Awful display from Saffers though. Nicked everything!

It's certainly not a mine-field, but there's a bit of bounce and movement. Good batsman shouldn't be troubled really, but there's a tendency to turn up at Trent Bridge nowadays and expect a flattie. Conditions are usually slightly bowler friendly meaning that good bowling is often rewarded because the batsman aren't prepared for it. If England bat well they'll win by a mile, but this is England so I wouldn't count on it.

PlanetPakistan said:
Athers saying thate players simply do NOT want to go to PAK...even in a year's time

Any particular reason has he mentioned behind this? :|

PlanetPakistan said:
Athers saying thate players simply do NOT want to go to PAK...even in a year's time
Just heard the radio guy saying the samething. Sounds like some new guy or not a regular at TMS. He was saying instead of relocating or cancelling they have delayed the inevitable. Teams don't want to go to Pakistan.

So what happens to the tours to Pakistan. Should Pakistan find a replacement for Australian tour now and cancel it?

Pakwatan might have a point. I hardly see the saffers and the English bowlers clock over 90s int he sub-continet which they do regularly at home. Even Indian bowlers were bowling over 90s in England, SA and Australia.

Looks like S.A have been demolished here! What was pitch like? how well did Broad bowl?

The mid-innings break for lunch/tea/dinner is due in 57 minutes. Apparently, there's a rumour they might enforce it, too...but hopefully England might avoid such a farce by finishing the match early
- cricinfo
Eng needed 50 runs then

This is the only thing left to see in the match. If there are 10 runs left will the break be taken.

SA's Malik has to tell his bowlers to take 3 wickets each in their next over

Last edited:
Saffers have gotten a proper thrashing today. Embarrassing stuff from Graeme Smith's team

These so called mid inns breaks and how long they are should be able to be reviewed and common sense should prevail. Sadly ICC doesnt do common sense!

Nel into the attack. "It's a genuine shooing," Abeed Janmohamed, the former and failed Kenyan wicketkeeper, shouts. :20:

Oh And Nel Gets 6 Wickets In 6 Balls!

Can U Believe It?!

Well, what a match this has been. It's only lasted 37.1 overs (223 balls), and England go 2-0 up in the series. The 10-wicket win was set-up by a memorable spell from Stuart Broad, picking up 5 for 23 - his first five-for in ODIs, and in doing so he passed 50 ODI wickets. Matt Prior had a fine game behind - and, later, in front of - the stumps, snaffling six catches as South Africa were dismissed for 83, their lowest-ever total against England. For the second-placed side in the world, this was a thoroughly disappointing performance, and although they won the Test series 2-1, ever since they have lost their focus. What a start this has been for Kevin Pietersen, too. Do join us for Friday's third game at The Oval but, for now, it's goodnight.

I thought SA were the #1 ODI side in the world? Hmm. Anyone seen Saffer?

India lost to England in ODI Series
SA is likely to lose to England, but even much embarrassing than India. India at least has gave fair fight unlike SA :D

I always wonder how did SL whitewash England in ODI series last time SL toured in England? :akmal

Saffers CHOKE yet again.:))

(choke is anyways a liberal word in PPland:p)

nikred said:
Saffers CHOKE yet again.:))

:)) But seriously - even the Saffers usually get into a good position before choking - this time they were FINISHED by the English bowlers before the game could even START for them!!

England beat them up like a bully on a little child!!

Back