Pakistan end a rain-shortened Day 1 of the 1st Test against South Africa on 145/3

Fawad could have easily become what Pujara is for India. I have become a huge fan of him now. Whatever his batting stance is, good bad or ugly, he is easily one of the best test batsman PCT has to offer.

PCB and their selectors have robbed a great international career from him to extend that it makes one sad.

Let’s leave it now, just do dua that he does well from now until the day he retires.

I will be over the moon if we see a Jaywardene-Sangakarra partnership here. I remember when they put on a batting masterclass with a record partnership.
That was also against South Africa if I’m not mistaken. Sanga and Jaya are absolute legends.

Lets enjoy fawad for fawad and not needless comparisions.

Misbah and Past Cheif selectors should put their head into shames for destroying a good test cricketer career like Fawad Alam.

Players like Fawad builds foundations for you in test cricket. Sadly we missed craftsmanship for so many years.

Misbah is the one who picked him. And the batting order was a little packed when Misbah was still captain. But when MisYou retired and Inzi was chief selector? No excuse. Inzi is the one who wasted 3-4 years of Fawad’s career.

Let’s leave it now, just do dua that he does well from now until the day he retires.

Yes there is no point bringing the past, whatever injustice happened to him. But it makes your blood boil if you see something like this happening to someone.

And its coming from an Indian.

Good luck to him.

Misbah is the one who picked him. And the batting order was a little packed when Misbah was still captain. But when MisYou retired and Inzi was chief selector? No excuse. Inzi is the one who wasted 3-4 years of Fawad’s career.
I wanted to write the same but did not bother as Misbah has too many other flaws to defend and I do not have time.

test match in rawalpindi in this season was never a good idea , should have arranged in multan. I guess security was a big concern.

Yes there is no point bringing the past, whatever injustice happened to him. But it makes your blood boil if you see something like this happening to someone.

And its coming from an Indian.

Good luck to him.

Mate it warms my heart that Indians like you, Rahul Dravid (huge honour) and Wasim jaffer brought him up. Honestly thanks and this is what I wanna see from Fawad. Maybe these are his wonder years and he bats till 42 (based on his fitness he could certainly achieve that).

Guys do we have any series between this one and the england one in June? Can’t seem to find how this year looks like for Pakistan

Guys do we have any series between this one and the england one in June? Can’t seem to find how this year looks like for Pakistan

April we have 2 tests vs Zimbabwe away
October we have 2 tests vs WI away (I think that’s right)
November/December 2 tests vs Bangladesh away

Gotta live the Pindi stadium . . when it rains, we're done at least 2 days . . has to be the worst drainage around the world . . and like bosses, they cover the ground like they cover in England

Is it still raining or has it stopped and only outfield is wet ? Any updates.

Hopefully the rain goes away.

Babar needs to make this a big hundred, I'd be content with 150+ score. Fawad is also allowing himself to settle, and looks good for another century.

Some runs down the order for Rizwan and Faheem will do nicely as well.

If we can make a huge first innings score, maybe 450+, SAF will be batted out of the game, and we will just have to focus on our bowling.

April we have 2 tests vs Zimbabwe away
October we have 2 tests vs WI away (I think that’s right)
November/December 2 tests vs Bangladesh away

We have 3 tests vs WI, I'm not sure whether they are in October.

Babar needs to make this a big hundred, I'd be content with 150+ score. Fawad is also allowing himself to settle, and looks good for another century.

If we can make a huge first innings score, maybe 450+, SAF will be batted out of the game, and we will just have to focus on our bowling.
Easy buddy, couple of wickets and Pakistan will be hoping to get 220

Might be a blessing in disguise if this is stumps cause tomorrow will be good for batting I reckon.

If match starts now batting could be tricky under overcast conditions and the Batsmen will have to start from scratch after the break.

If match starts now batting could be tricky under overcast conditions and the Batsmen will have to start from scratch after the break.

Yes, purely from PCT's perspective it's better for us not to have any play today. Still want the play to start though

Delayed due to wet outside field..how much time remaining in today's play ?

Delayed due to wet outside field..how much time remaining in today's play ?

1 hour but they can go into extra 30 minutes or 1 hour to accommodate loss of time if light allows.

Batting will be difficult now.

Just call off today's play............. :srini

Inspection at 4:20, even if the outfield is deemed OK can't see more than 40 mins play happening due to the clouds causing bad light.

how long will it take this groundstaff to remove 4 covers???? its sun at the stadium right now.

The covers are off & the sun is out at Pindi cricket stadium, expect the play to resume in the next 10 - 15 minutes.

Frustrating day, Pakistan were going along very nicely before the rain started, I really wanted Babar to complete his century.Hopefully, he will complete his hundred tomorrow.

Can someone start a petition to get Aatif Nawaz (dude from BBV TMS) to commentate on Sky Games.

Im sick of Ramiz.
Wasim is good as a support/colour commentator.

We need a proper person who can string a sentence together without clichés

Bazid Khan is very knowledgeable gets things spot on

Yes seen umpires talking to Dr kock who is gesturing that it's done for the day

Not bad if true . Babar and Fawad will have a better opportunity to score tomorrow rather than coming on now at end of the day.

Is any rain scheduled tomorrow or for any of the next four days ?

That’s dead. This ground really shouldn’t be fit for international cricket with its shoddy drainage

Looking at the scenes on the YouTube stream rain may have come back for a small bit of drizzle

Worst venue in Pakistan

If bad light won’t get you...rain will!

PCB needs to invest on high tech machine to dry these grounds. Even SL can do this. Pathetic from PCB wasting money on nonsense people rather than proper ground equipments.

Stumps confirmed. Tomorrow morning will be better, can anyone tell me if play starts early tomorrow?

Build a nice looking stadium in Islamabad and borrow some covers from Srilanka.

Worst venue in Pakistan

If bad light won’t get you...rain will!

It was a stupid idea from PCB to host a test in Pindi during winters, for the future if they must use this stadium they need to invest heavily in the drainage system. It's not like it was raining heavily in Pindi but still it costs us a whole session which is pathetic.

Build a nice looking stadium in Islamabad and borrow some covers from Srilanka.

No need for a new stadium in ISB, PCB just needs to invest heavily in the drainage system & need to install chairs in the complete stadium & this stadium is good to go.

Slight issue with moisture in the morning but I reckon that will be for the first hour but then it’ll be a batting paradise.

Got my answer play starts 15 mins earlier 09:45 local time (04:45 GMT)

Gotta live the Pindi stadium . . when it rains, we're done at least 2 days . . has to be the worst drainage around the world . . and like bosses, they cover the ground like they cover in England

It literally only!!!! rained for 45 mins . . that's the state of this ground . . had it rained for a few more hours, I guarantee we would have lost tomorrow as well

If we are to have cricket back, we really need to get our stadiums up at international standards!

It literally only!!!! rained for 45 mins . . that's the state of this ground . . had it rained for a few more hours, I guarantee we would have lost tomorrow as well

If we are to have cricket back, we really need to get our stadiums up at international standards!

Weather is weather can’t control that, tomorrow will be better trust me.

EtYVC5YUUAAcND7

Last edited:
Its a shame thr play ended early because Babar was in total control and has to restart tomorrow. At OT last summer, he had a similar score and the next day he played an airy fairy drive of a loosener from Jimmy and got out. I have an awful feeling that history will repeat itself.

Pathetic from PCB. How can they not have international standard drainage system in stadium. Unacceptable!!!

Wasim Khan is there for 2 years but drainage system is same as before. And people think he is doing great job!!!!

No need for a new stadium in ISB, PCB just needs to invest heavily in the drainage system & need to install chairs in the complete stadium & this stadium is good to go.

There should be a high quality stadium in Islamabad regardless.
One of the better cities in the country.

Wasim Khan is there for 2 years but drainage system is same as before. And people think he is doing great job!!!!

So you want him to implement drainage system same as lords? This is the first test match at Rawalpindi and the covers were satisfactory in my opinion.

So you want him to implement drainage system same as lords? This is the first test match at Rawalpindi and the covers were satisfactory in my opinion.

No, same as SL? Is that too much to ask?

This isn't the 1st test in Pindi, this is 3rd test match Pindi stadium is hosting since the resumption of International cricket in Pakistan; 1st vs SL which ended as a draw because of rain, 2nd vs Ban which Pakistan won & this is the third one. IMO Wasim Khan is at fault for not upgrading the drainage system of Pindi Cricket Stadium.

No, same as SL? Is that too much to ask?

This isn't the 1st test in Pindi, this is 3rd test match Pindi stadium is hosting since the resumption of International cricket in Pakistan; 1st vs SL which ended as a draw because of rain, 2nd vs Ban which Pakistan won & this is the third one. IMO Wasim Khan is at fault for not upgrading the drainage system of Pindi Cricket Stadium.

Full covers would not have made the difference. The fact is funds are limited and have to be used where its needs most. I am sure over time they will order more covers.

Its a shame thr play ended early because Babar was in total control and has to restart tomorrow. At OT last summer, he had a similar score and the next day he played an airy fairy drive of a loosener from Jimmy and got out. I have an awful feeling that history will repeat itself.

Same thing happened at this Rawalpindi ground last year when Babar was 143* overnight against Bangladesh, next morning he got out in the very first over. :facepalm

Full covers would not have made the difference. The fact is funds are limited and have to be used where its needs most. I am sure over time they will order more covers.

Then Wasim Khan should't boast about PCB if we cannot even match SL. PCB is wasting too much money on non-sense posts but acts stingy with National Fielding coach, bowling coach and head coach along with minimum/basic stadium/ground requirements.

Then Wasim Khan should't boast about PCB if we cannot even match SL. PCB is wasting too much money on non-sense posts but acts stingy with National Fielding coach, bowling coach and head coach along with minimum/basic stadium/ground requirements.

He has increased domestic players earning which was the most important thing. Other things can wait.

RAWALPINDI: Keshav Maharaj lead a bright start to the second Test for the Proteas before Pakistan hit back to end a rain-hit day one strongly in Rawalpindi on Thursday.

The slow left-armer had to shoulder some extra responsibility after an injury to George Linde early on in the match, but responded admirably by claiming two for 51 in an excellent 25 overs, although the hosts recovered to reach the close on 145 for three.

Maharaj’s early double, added to a wicket for Anrich Nortje (1/30), had initially put the visitors in control on 22 for three.

But Pakistani captain Babar Azam lead the fightback with an unbeaten 77 (125 balls, 12 fours) and shared in an unbroken 123-run partnership with Fawad Alam (42) that shifted the tide of the game.

The day had started out with the home side, already 1-0 up in the two-match series, winning the toss and opting to bat first at the Rawalpindi Cricket Stadium.

South Africa had drafted in Wiaan Mulder in place of Lungi Ngidi as their only change to their XI, but it was Maharaj that did the early damage – which looked imminent from the time he was introduced to the attack in the eight over and had Imran Butt dropped first ball.

He continued to pose a threat and was rewarded in his third over by drawing an edge from that same batsman that was snapped up by Quinton de Kock for 15.

In his next over, the spinner had Azhar Ali trapped leg before wicket for a duck and Abid Ali (6) departed shortly after caught expertly by Aiden Markram off Nortje at short leg.

That left Pakistan in a big hole after the opening hour.

However, Babar and Fawad then batted together for 43 overs to bring their side right back into the contest, before rain intervened and ended play 32 overs short

You can’t do anything about the drainage, Pakistan’s wastewater/storm water management is not as advanced as other parts of the world otherwise locals could drink the tap water.

To be fair hardly any matches get played there and now I see why because of the unpredictable U.K. like weather.

Tomorrow is a new day, let’s call this a wash (pardon the pun).

Good partnership from these 2. It seemingly doesn't matter what pitch we are playing on, we will be 20/2.

Session 1 highlights:

<div style="width: 100%; height: 0px; position: relative; padding-bottom: 56.250%;"><iframe src="https://streamable.com/e/92ga4q" frameborder="0" width="100%" height="100%" allowfullscreen style="width: 100%; height: 100%; position: absolute;"></iframe></div>

Session 2 highlights:

<div style="width: 100%; height: 0px; position: relative; padding-bottom: 56.250%;"><iframe src="https://streamable.com/e/l6bdwa" frameborder="0" width="100%" height="100%" allowfullscreen style="width: 100%; height: 100%; position: absolute;"></iframe></div>

Good partnership from these 2. It seemingly doesn't matter what pitch we are playing on, we will be 20/2.

The performance of the openers is more reflective of the quality of players selected, not much to do with the pitch.

Quality batsmen deliver regardless of conditions (Fawad recently), incompetent batsmen perform once in a dozen innings (Shan and Abid)

Great session. Pakistan are going to need players with the determination to grind it out like Fawad does when he goes in a few years time. Key player!

Fawad puts a huge price on his wicket. That is the approach great players require in Test Cricket.

Even days play and good fightback by Babar and Fawad. Hope we can get atleast 350 here batting 1st.

Back