FIFA World Cup 2018 Bid [Russia] and 2022 [Qatar]

Who Will Host the 2018 FIFA World Cup?

• Total voters
Would Russia be allowed to bid for a European Championships?

Pity some of us will be old by the time qatar host it :(. Even though i wanted england to win but i can't help to stop laughing at sky sports/bbc :)))

Youve never been to Dubai and Qatar etc have you? You have "scantily clad" females as you put it there as well mate.

then why the uproar over FULLY-clothed cheerleaders at that Pak vs Saffers T20 game?

and what about the lager louts and football hooligans?

Despite the failure, a feather in the cap of David Beckham here. What a legend of the game in our country.

England were very unfortunate here, their bid was technically the best by quite a long shot. However congrats to the Russians.

Last edited:
But no, England's was not the best bid! It is their superiority complex!

England were very unfortunate here, their bid was technically the best but quite a long shot. However congrats to the Russians.

according to whom was their bid 'technically' the best?

People who have been following the bids since the very start and do not have chips on their shoulders.

Thats overly conservative Pakistanis for you...as opposed to anyone else unfortunately.

yeah i hear you

but still you have to admit, Qatar isn't exactly the place to go for a p!ss-up is it? how will the authorities react to hordes of openly drinking footie fans? could be some ugly scenes imo

It already does.

Even Israel claims to be in Europe, and enters the EuroVision Song contest, and plays in the European Championships, both at Club and International level.

Although (according to some) England/The UK is NOT in Europe, but then again, some think it's just another State of the United States of America.

Qatar Football Stadiums for WC 2022

Lusail National Stadium
Lusail-Iconic-Stadium_Norman-Foster_plusMOOD06-595x446.jpg

Doha Khalifa Stadium

Doha Sports city stadium
sports-city_1717347i.jpg

Al-Khawr Stadium
Al-Khor-Stadium.jpg

Al-Shamal Stadium
Al_Shamal_Stadium.jpg

Al-Wakarah Stadium
qatar-2022-Al-Wakrah-stadium.jpg

Umm Salal Stadium
5000391081_831c96aa76.jpg

Doha Port Stadium
doha-port-stadium_1717357i.jpg

Doha Education city Stadium
lit06374peducationbirds.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah i hear you

but still you have to admit, Qatar isn't exactly the place to go for a p!ss-up is it? how will the authorities react to hordes of openly drinking footie fans? could be some ugly scenes imo

mate there was a bar IN the Dubai stadium, I had to pass it every time I had to go to my seat.

open drinking here is the norm for the most part.

will have to be indoor though I suppose.

Becks being interviewed now on Sky Sports

so far he's said the word "disappointing" about 12 times, but i need him to say the phrase "bitterly disappointing" to land my bet

Something deliberate has been going on for England to finish last. Not 'alf annoying. Come to think of it........what were the odds on them finishing last? :asif

personally don't think Qater should have been awarded the WC do they have enough space to build 8-9 stadiums its a tiny country.

also the fact everything will be built from scratch not very environmentally friendly or sustainable having AC is stadiums etc

Yes they held asian games but how many spectators came into the country/total number of players/officals participating ( a genuine question)

interview with Becks over and he didn't say it

another losing bet :6:
According to Sky, around 10 - 15 minutes before the announcement, Bookies in England were saying England 2-1 ON to win.
You claim to have your nose on the betting odds fluctuations. What do you make of that ?
Fixed ?
false 'inside' info - to swindle some bookies ?
A bit strange, don't you think ?

And what about coming 4th ? Even 'friends' deserted England at the last minute ?

personally don't think Qater should have been awarded the WC do they have enough space to build 8-9 stadiums its a tiny country.

also the fact everything will be built from scratch not very environmentally friendly or sustainable having AC is stadiums etc

Yes they held asian games but how many spectators came into the country/total number of players/officals participating ( a genuine question)

no, it's so small they'll have to build them in the air.

half the population has to remain standing at all times, because if they sit down they will fall into the ocean.

Qatar should really consider perhaps allowing Dubai and Abu Dhabi to host a few games but I dont think that will happen or is allowed to happen.

Qatar should really consider perhaps allowing Dubai and Abu Dhabi to host a few games but I dont think that will happen or is allowed to happen.

that will not be allowed as it would be perceived as joint venture (which fifa dont like) but I think a UAE/QATER bid would have been better I think (still too hot to be playing in june/july)

A bit more sustainable as they have existing stadiums and build a few more but the bid was more about Arab egos wanting to go alone.

Breaking News: England got only 2 votes out of 22...2 meagre votes and were thus eliminated in Round 1 of voting.

Last edited:
Thats BS!

I had a feeling that England won't win, but coming fourth and securing only two votes is outrageously shocking, given the strenght of their bid.

1 of the votes was the English guy. We got effectively 1 vote.

Clearly dodgy.

I wonder if that Panorama programme pissed off FIFA members more than was thought.

Theoretically, yes. Because Russia are in UEFA and not AFC.
I am not sure if this was the type of answer you were looking for, I just saw there was a discussion about Russia being in Asia, so I respondend to that. If you are asking from a more Russian subjective view, then I do not know :farhat

Interesting excerpt this one:

1703: So two people who voted for Netherlands/Belgium in round one, switched allegiances to Russia in round two even though Neth/Bel were still involved. I don't really understand that.

1657: Full results of 2018 voting:

Round 1: England 2 votes, Netherlands/Belgium 4 votes, Spain/Portugal 7 votes and Russia 9 votes.
Round 2: Netherlands/Belgium 2 votes, Spain/Portugal 7 votes and Russia 12 votes (Russia obtain absolute majority)

The battle for the 2022 tournament went to four rounds, with Qatar eventually beating the US by 14-8.

Thank God Qatar won! I did not want football ending up once again in the land of "soccer" whatever that is.

The Aussies fared even worse than England...they only got one vote :))

Full results of 2022 voting:

Round 1: Australia1 vote, Japan 3 votes, US 3 votes, South Korea 4 votes and Qatar 11 votes.
Round 2: Japan 2 votes, South Korea 5 votes, US 5 votes and Qatar 10 votes.
Round 3 South Korea 5 votes, US 6 votes and Qatar 11 votes.
Round 4 US 8 votes and Qatar 14 votes (Qatar obtain absolute majority)

C'mon guys..im sure there were good reasons behind Eng's failure...we keep saying whe had the 'best bid'...how can we be so sure about that???

It's a kick in the teeth for the media as they were over-confident.

lame selections .. two more dead duck world cups like south africa.

Pathetic.

Absolutely .. the WC should be held in a country with a strong football tradition.

We already saw how abysmal the atmosphere was in South Africa .. expect more of that in both Russia and Qatar.

I have a feeling that the Qatari rules vis a vis drinking will be relaxed for the tournament, you see you have to understand the way these ME countries work. They want to impress the outside world particularly the developed world at all cost.

The battle for the 2022 tournament went to four rounds, with Qatar eventually beating the US by 14-8.

Thank God Qatar won! I did not want football ending up once again in the land of "soccer" whatever that is.

Did you watch the Brazil v Argentina match held recently in Qatar ?

Never seen such a dead crowd and atmosphere for such an intense match up.

Thats because the match was of no consequence.

Just scroll up and have a look at the stadia they intend to build and you will see what a fantastic world cup they will have - personal animosity to Arabs needs to be put aside for such objective analysis.

They certainly have a plethora of issues that need to be sorted out, but they have 12 years to do it in and given the amount of money at their disposal I wouldnt put it past them to host a cracking tournament, time will tell though.

For now im glad that we wont be seeing football being played in American football stadiums with the AF line markings still visible a la 1994.

What will Qatar do with all the stadiums?.... Big white elephants afterwards

What will Qatar do with all the stadiums?.... Big white elephants afterwards

Apparently theyre going to dismantle them and donate them to other countries (poorer countries)...for the life of me I have no clue how they can do that...but they say they can apparently.

Was there any plans to improve/build new stadiums in Eng?? I think not? The stadiums here compared to European countries are pretty average...I don't thing the goverment would be ready do dish out billions on new stadiums?

Was there any plans to improve/build new stadiums in Eng?? I think not? The stadiums here compared to European countries are pretty average...I don't thing the goverment would be ready do dish out billions on new stadiums?

This is actually quite an interesting point...by 2018 the newest English stadium wouldve been at least 12 - 14 years old!

The England bid was still very strong though and it certainly did not deserve just 2 votes.

1657: Full results of 2018 voting:

Round 1: England 2 votes, Netherlands/Belgium 4 votes, Spain/Portugal 7 votes and Russia 9 votes.
Round 2: Netherlands/Belgium 2 votes, Spain/Portugal 7 votes and Russia 12 votes (Russia obtain absolute majority)[/B]
If the above is correct, and 22 Votes are at stake.
Round 1 adds up to 22 (2+4+7+9)
Round 2 adds up to 21 (2+7+12)

What happened to the missing vote in round 2?

If the above is correct, and 22 Votes are at stake.
Round 1 adds up to 22 (2+4+7+9)
Round 2 adds up to 21 (2+7+12)

What happened to the missing vote in round 2?

Yeah that was a typo by the BBC which was later corrected, Russia in fact got 13 votes in round 2.

and for the love of God can a mod or someone edit that Newton Fans post...and resize his pictures...its an annoyance to the whole thread.

Thats because the match was of no consequence.

Just scroll up and have a look at the stadia they intend to build and you will see what a fantastic world cup they will have - personal animosity to Arabs needs to be put aside for such objective analysis.

Personal animosity towards Arabs ?

wowww ....

I think you have read my other posts on this thread .. I'm concerned about a lifeless atmosphere .. no amount of glitzy stadiums and amenities for the ultra-rich can make up for the passion you see in countries with a strong footballing tradition.

Same goes for Russia.

Last edited:
Personal animosity towards Arabs ?

wowww ....

I think you have read my other posts on this thread .. I'm concerned about a lifeless atmosphere .. no amount of glitzy stadiums and amenities for the ultra-rich can give you the passion you see in countries with a strong footballing tradition.

Would the English or any other country for that matter really turn out to watch Slovakia vs New Zealand? I think not somehow...and the South African even provided an atmosphere for that match.

Its not South Africas fault that a lot of the football played was defensive and dull.

This is actually quite an interesting point...by 2018 the newest English stadium wouldve been at least 12 - 14 years old!

The England bid was still very strong though and it certainly did not deserve just 2 votes.

Looks to me like the Eng bid team went in expressing how they 'love football' (Beckham)...or how 'passionate' the fans are etc...without showing any plans for new stadiums, infastructure etc etc..this could be one of the main reasons for failure..Do FIFA really care how Beckham has 'devoted his life to football'?? I think not. Seems Beckham was busy selling himself!

I did'nt watch the presentations but read an article about Qatar's proposed stadiums.

According to the article, they will be 'open air', with air conditioning!

The cool air will form a blanket, upto around 2 or 3 metres above the ground, to keep the players cool.
The article questioned as to what will happen if there was a desert storm or such, which did not keep the cool air blanket in place.

Can anyone confirm if this is correct ?

Absolutely .. the WC should be held in a country with a strong football tradition.

We already saw how abysmal the atmosphere was in South Africa .. expect more of that in both Russia and Qatar.

like USA '94? :)))

was absolutely nothing wrong with the atmosphere in SA, what rubbish honestly.

Looks to me like the Eng bid team went in expressing how they 'love football' (Beckham)...or how 'passionate' the fans are etc...without showing any plans for new stadiums, infastructure etc etc..this could be one of the main reasons for failure..Do FIFA really care how Beckham has 'devoted his life to football'?? I think not. Seems Beckham was busy selling himself!
FIFA were interested in who was willing to throw the most dosh - hence Russia and Qatar won.
(I noticed Chelsea's Abramovich going up on the stage as part of Russia's winning bid committee - that explains Russia's dosh.)

The question is, how was the $$'s going to be thrown about - on building stadium's and infrastructure, or .....at the Fifa delegates perhaps?

You are joking. England's stadiums are top stadiums and by 2018 England will have the new Olympic stadium and the new WHL to select from. Not too forget how recent Emirates and Wembley is and then there is potential of the new Stanley Park field in Liverpool. Not too forget that the Northeast itself has a 56K capacity stadium (and who of course could forget the World Class and historic Old Trafford).

When I heard Russia, I was shocked. However, understandable as Russia is an upcoming nation but they need to improve their transportation system. Though I know they are for Olympics, that is in a different part of the country (middle of Russia where I doubt much footy will be played).

But when Qatar got it? You have to be kidding me. Surely it is some joke. Don't see the point of so many stadiums. This decision is the one I question and find very suspicious. I smell corruption in this one and it would not surprise me. Such an odd decision and conveniently the riches of an oil nation. No one can give me the Asia hasn't hosted in excuse considering North America has not seen it since 94 (and we are not South America) and Asia has now got it 2002 and 2022. I was hoping Australia was going to get it, they would have been a great host nation.

like USA '94? :)))

was absolutely nothing wrong with the atmosphere in SA, what rubbish honestly.

USA = huge commercial market and look at the success it brought. Are you telling me after Qatar host it, a league will get set up? Large commercial deals will be signed there. Football will be promoted? Give em a break, Qatar probs has less people than Toronto/New York or London.

This is nothing but a play toy and just a chance for Arabs to show off. This decision does not help the game because there is no market after to support it unlike in South Africa/US or even Australia.

North America hasnt seen it since 94? You do realise that 94 is very very recent dont you? Spain hasnt seen it since the 80s, England hasnt seen it since 66...Brazil hadnt seen it since the 50s, Russia Qatar Australia etc had never seen it...thats hardly a very good point youre making in fact if anything thats the reason the US didnt get it in the end!

Holding the cup in America makes sense for two reasons:

#1 America has people of every background and they will go out and support and their native countries passionately. Just as you see that Pak cricket fans in the UK are more passionate than those in Pakistan its the same with expats in America cheering on Brazil, Argentina, Italy .. or where ever they come from.

#2 There's a lot more to do in America. Football fans don't just travel for the football matches but also for general touristy stuff. What else is there to do and see in Qatar ?

Apparently theyre going to dismantle them and donate them to other countries (poorer countries)...for the life of me I have no clue how they can do that...but they say they can apparently.

I read this and ROFL'd. What are the poor countries going to do with the stadiums? host a world cup as well?

Just all BS.

North America hasnt seen it since 94? You do realise that 94 is very very recent dont you? Spain hasnt seen it since the 80s, England hasnt seen it since 66...Brazil hadnt seen it since the 50s, Russia Qatar Australia etc had never seen it...thats hardly a very good point youre making in fact if anything thats the reason the US didnt get it in the end!

I am comparing it by continent. One of the reasons Qatar got it was because they were the "Asian representative" I am also solely talking about 2022, so Russia does not factor.

Western Europe hosted a WC as recent as 2006. Asia had it in 2002. Africa 2010. South America 2014. Eastern Europe 2018.

Are you seeing a pattern? You can compare it by any individual country, Canada could put a bid in and say "they never seen it, they deserve it blah blah blah." I think it should have been the US or Australia. I favour US because bigger commercial market and infrastructure for it.

Qatar?

What are they gonna do with all those stadia once the World Cup is over?

Strange decision.

I think this idea has been suggested here before, would've made much more sense for the GCC to host it as a united entity.

Also what are the proposed venues for Russia? Could potentially see a lot of traveling and weird scheduling if games are being held in Kazan for example.

Also, this has to be the first time a World Cup host has been announced 8 and 12 years in advance.

What's the rush?

:)) @ All the reactions from people around the globe, Enough with this "Bu..bu It's a desert!!!" crap, Football is the most played and loved sport in the middle east, People act as if football is being played for the first time in the middlle east. Just go and see a night club game in Saudia Arabia, The temperature is fine. The competition is intense. Plenty of arabs from neighboring countries will come to see the world cup.

Americans don't give a hoot about football or "soccer" as they call it, Why should people bother with trying to appease them when they hosted in 94'.

Keep the bitter tears from US and UK flowing though, They make for fun reading.

Also, this has to be the first time a World Cup host has been announced 8 and 12 years in advance.

What's the rush?

PCB Style :ibutt

People act as if football is being played for the first time in the middlle east

Ironic. You say this and then go on to bash America in your next paragraph, pretty much implying the same thing.

:)) @ All the reactions from people around the globe, Enough with this desert crap, Football is the most played and loved sport in the middle east, People act as if football is being played for the first time in the middlle east. Just go and see a night club game in Saudia Arabia, The temperature is fine. The competition is intense. Plenty of arabs from neighboring countries will come to see the world cup.

Keep the bitter tears from US and UK flowing though, They make for fun reading.
Can't speak for other people but my issue with the Qatar selection is: what are they going to do with all the facilities that they build for this World Cup once it is over? Do they really need 5 or 10 or however many football stadiums for an estimated 2022 population of 1.7 million people? Sounds like a big waste of resources to me.

Can't speak for other people but my issue with the Qatar selection is: what are they going to do with all the facilities that they build for this World Cup once it is over? Do they really need 5 or 10 or however many football stadiums for an estimated 2022 population of 1.7 million people? Sounds like a big waste of resources to me.

Yaar at least read the thread its been mentioned at least 5 times that they are going to dismantle them and give them to poorer countries.

Now personally I do not get in the least bit how they can do that and I also think thats not only is it practically impossible but its a gigantic waste of effort and money...as the countries would probably prefer food or development aid.

However they claim they can do it...and i wouldnt put it past them.

PCB Style :ibutt

Ironic. You say this and then go on to bash America in your next paragraph, pretty much implying the same thing.

Oh i wasn't aware that there was a large "soccer" following in the US as compared to the middle east.

Yaar at least read the thread its been mentioned at least 5 times that they are going to dismantle them and give them to poorer countries.

Now personally I do not get in the least bit how they can do that and I also think thats not only is it practically impossible but its a gigantic waste of effort and money...as the countries would probably prefer food or development aid.

However they claim they can do it...and i wouldnt put it past them.
Yeah no I read that and even if somehow my arms are twisted enough to believe that this is possible, I have the same opinion as the point you make in the second paragraph i.e. either way, whether they dismantle the stadiums or they keep them empty and unused, it's a big waste and serves no purpose.

Yeah no I read that and even if somehow my arms are twisted enough to believe that this is possible, I have the same opinion as the point you make in the second paragraph i.e. either way, whether they dismantle the stadiums or they keep them empty and unused, it's a big waste and serves no purpose.

The poor nations should start preparing their 2026 bid.

Oh i wasn't aware that there was a large "soccer" following in the US as compared to the middle east.
Not as large as in the Middle East but it's sizable. Also unlike the US, football in the Middle East does not have much competition in terms of prying people's eyes away from other team sports.

Still, they took USA '94 and have turned it into an 18-team league which continues to grow. Not to mention that the US is competitive internationally. When was the last time Qatar made the World Cup?

USA = huge commercial market and look at the success it brought. Are you telling me after Qatar host it, a league will get set up? Large commercial deals will be signed there. Football will be promoted? Give em a break, Qatar probs has less people than Toronto/New York or London.

This is nothing but a play toy and just a chance for Arabs to show off. This decision does not help the game because there is no market after to support it unlike in South Africa/US or even Australia.

your ignorance knows no bounds.

Qatar has one of the most professional and organized football leagues in Asia.

the commercial juggernaut of football in America was defunct some years ago, teams were going out of business due to lack of interest.

the ME is in fact the ideal location for a WC, it is the perfect bridge between East and West.

they will host a magnificent WC, absolutely no doubt in that.

apparently for you only Europeans and South Americans are the only ones passionate for football.

pls leave your preconceived notions at the door if you want to state a valid opinion.

Qatar is highly motivated and focused in becoming a prominent in the intl. sporting arena, it is not only football in which they are making tremendous progress.

the commercial juggernaut of football in America was defunct some years ago, teams were going out of business due to lack of interest.

Now your ignorance knows no bounds. MLS is expanding and has added 4-5 teams in past 4-5 years. By 2022, they are going to have at least 24, if not more teams. Furthermore, the growth of the Conacaf Champions League also contributes to this.

Don't put words in my mouth. It is a good try, but a fail. Never did I say Middle East was not a good host, nor did I say it couldn't. However, in a tiny nation such as Qatar..it is very impractical. A joint bid would have made more sense.

Also, you might want to get off that high horse of yours, "if you want to have a valid discussion" otherwise pointless for me to have a debate with someone who has their nose up so high that they can't see the ground.

Last edited:
Qatar?

What are they gonna do with all those stadia once the World Cup is over?

Strange decision.

I think this idea has been suggested here before, would've made much more sense for the GCC to host it as a united entity.

Also what are the proposed venues for Russia? Could potentially see a lot of traveling and weird scheduling if games are being held in Kazan for example.

seriously..my concern too

Back