FIFA World Cup 2018 Bid [Russia] and 2022 [Qatar]

Who Will Host the 2018 FIFA World Cup?

• Total voters
I am comparing it by continent. One of the reasons Qatar got it was because they were the "Asian representative" I am also solely talking about 2022, so Russia does not factor.

Western Europe hosted a WC as recent as 2006. Asia had it in 2002. Africa 2010. South America 2014. Eastern Europe 2018.

Are you seeing a pattern? You can compare it by any individual country, Canada could put a bid in and say "they never seen it, they deserve it blah blah blah." I think it should have been the US or Australia. I favour US because bigger commercial market and infrastructure for it.

Australia was considered an 'Asian bidder' , Blatter said it live on air.

Japan was also bidding.
Korea was also bidding.

pls check your facts before posting.

Australia was considered an 'Asian bidder' , Blatter said it live on air.

Japan was also bidding.
Korea was also bidding.

pls check your facts before posting.

Thanks. Strengthens my argument even further. Asia had in 2002, US 94. Makes sense then for it to return to North America in some capacity.

Apparently theyre going to dismantle them and donate them to other countries (poorer countries)...for the life of me I have no clue how they can do that...but they say they can apparently.

Hahaha.... are you serious?

What Qatar does with the stadiums is their concern...they have won the right to host a WC..surely the reasons are legit...rather than bashing the decision...we should be congratulating them...if Qatar suceeeded..why could'nt Eng?? Simply because their bid was poor..it was based on how the Eng love football blah blah...the whole world loves football. As I mentioned before, Eng team demonstrated no plans for new stadiums/infastructure etc...sending the future King was OTT imo.

Thanks. Strengthens my argument even further. Asia had in 2002, US 94. Makes sense then for it to return to North America in some capacity.

Mexico would have been a good location (yes I know they were not in the process)... except that their security situation is worst than Pakistan at the moment.

Last edited:
Whoever here thinks there is no market for football in middle-east, simply, doesnt know what he is talking about. People living in middle east know quite well that the Arabs are 10x times more passionate about their football than the Americans or the Australians. Youll never find a kid in the streets who wont know a thing about football. People here breath and live for football, its actually their only other past time apart from maybe doing sheesha and other stuff :p.
And come on, with the expressway being built which will connect UAE to Qatar(making it just an half hours drive) and similarly an expressway being built between UAE and Oman. You are likely to see much much more enthusiasm from not only Qatar but rest of the Middle East.

Football in Middle East is like Cricket is in Pakistan. And you can imagine how the people in Pakistan would feel if World Cup was not hosted in Pakistan for the next 50 yrs(god forbid) and then winning the hosting rights for 2060. You could just imagine the euphoria in Pakistan.
Its exactly what you'll find in Qatar in 2022.

BTW Qatar will be hosting the asian cup next year, Should be a good testing ground for them to see whether players collapse from heat strokes.

:facepalm: at western media.

Last edited:
I am comparing it by continent. One of the reasons Qatar got it was because they were the "Asian representative" I am also solely talking about 2022, so Russia does not factor.

Western Europe hosted a WC as recent as 2006. Asia had it in 2002. Africa 2010. South America 2014. Eastern Europe 2018.

Are you seeing a pattern? You can compare it by any individual country, Canada could put a bid in and say "they never seen it, they deserve it blah blah blah." I think it should have been the US or Australia. I favour US because bigger commercial market and infrastructure for it.

Duude. Care to look at the scenario from a non-commercial perspective?. This is EXACTLY and PRECISELY where ICC and FIFA differ. FIFA is more concerned about the globalization of football and not just commercial perspective.
FIFA is already earning Billions, and i dont think they need these financial advantages to hold a world cup in a country. Perhaps, the reason they chose RUSSIA.
Unlike the ICC and BCCI, FIFA is more interested with popularizing the sport. Thus the huge following gap between cricket and football.

I can see why many Americans including Obama are disappointed about losing the bid, It's the only time in 4 years that their country actually cares about the sport. :))

Rather that blaming others...our media needs to take a close look at our poor bid...sending the Prince was OTT....all Beckham did was let everyone know how football is his life and how we all love football...I don't think FIFA cares if football is his life!

What Qatar does with the stadiums is their concern...they have won the right to host a WC..surely the reasons are legit...rather than bashing the decision...we should be congratulating them...if Qatar suceeeded..why could'nt Eng?? Simply because their bid was poor..it was based on how the Eng love football blah blah...the whole world loves football. As I mentioned before, Eng team demonstrated no plans for new stadiums/infastructure etc...sending the future King was OTT imo.

England had the best technical bid as per FIFA. Its not about building stadums, England has amongst the best structures and had no risk according to FIFA.

Russia won because of its location. Qatar won....because of their money ;-)

Whoever here thinks there is no market for football in middle-east

No one said that. You people need to stop quoting people incorrectly.

England had the best technical bid as per FIFA. Its not about building stadums, England has amongst the best structures and had no risk according to FIFA.

Russia won because of its location. Qatar won....because of their money ;-)

And the USA failed because they are a failed experiment.:manzoor

BTW Qatar will be hosting the asian cup next year, Should be a good testing ground for them to see whether players collapse from heat strokes.

:facepalm: at western media.

am going in January with my Iraqi friends! should be a blast :waqar

Interesting, Qatar had the highest risk rated by FIFA last month. Wonder what changed...

the 'continental' argument has never been an issue, it's a well-known policy of FIFA ever since Korea-Japan 2002.

you're making it sound like it was the sole reason Qatar got it.

_50273094_qatarifans466.jpg

They sure look happy. :D

the 'continental' argument has never been an issue, it's a well-known policy of FIFA ever since Korea-Japan 2002.

you're making it sound like it was the sole reason Qatar got it.

I am not making it sound like it is the sole reason. Do you people enjoy misquoting me? Just one part of my argument. I know its not a guiding criteria, but considering Asia had in 2002, would have made sense to bring it back to the world's largest market, the US.

I am not making it sound like it is the sole reason. Do you people enjoy misquoting me? Just one part of my argument. I know its not a guiding criteria, but considering Asia had in 2002, would have made sense to bring it back to the world's largest market, the US.

How is it the worlds largest market? Im what way are you inferring that? Asia has China and India which is around 2.5 billion people right there plus the chinese are getting increasingly football mad...the Middle East already is...the Far East is also already football mad.

So how may I ask is the US the worlds biggest market? That is an arrogant statement if i ever saw one.

How is it the worlds largest market? Im what way are you inferring that? Asia has China and India which is around 2.5 billion people right there plus the chinese are getting increasingly football mad...the Middle East already is...the Far East is also already football mad.

So how may I ask is the US the worlds biggest market? That is an arrogant statement if i ever saw one.

What about in terms of consumption? You work in London, go walk down to Canary Wharf and ask anyone if they think the US is not the biggest market in the World.

Yawn hasan, you gotta stop this "holier than thou" tirade. I am simply speaking something that is known by the general world.

Also for all the Qatari supporters, tell me, how has their national team been?

Better if FIFA at least with a country that is able to make the World Cup.

Also for all the Qatari supporters, tell me, how has their national team been?

Better if FIFA at least with a country that is able to make the World Cup.

they have come close in recent times, but stumbled in the final hurdle.

What about in terms of consumption? You work in London, go walk down to Canary Wharf and ask anyone if they think the US is not the biggest market in the World.

Yawn hasan, you gotta stop this "holier than thou" tirade. I am simply speaking something that is known by the general world.

I'm the one with the holier than thou attitude? Youre the one person on here who's got their knickers in such a twist that un-bunching them is going to be quite a task tonight! Youre the guy who's the most bitter on here for some reason mate.

As far as consumption goes...I can go to Canary Wharf and I can say for a fact they would tell me that they would much rather be in the BRIC country markets as opposed to what is at the moment a very stagnant and overly used US market

Russia and Qatar have the world cups and your "saacer" US does not.... deal with it.

Last edited:
Gutted England did not get the World Cup - would love to have seen some matches BUT it wasnt to be - though something ddgy definitely took place, 2 votes? Are you frikkin serious? That is a joke and I am convinced underhanded stuff has took place BUT what can you do

Congrats and good luck to Russia - not fully convinced they can deliver an outstanding World Cup, it will be adequate and okay BUT not spectacular

Also congrats to Qatar - a bit of a surprise really, I would have liked Australia to get it BUT I can sort of understand the idea about taking the World Cup to different markets. I fear though we will see lots of empty stadiums and there is certainly a cultural issue which would need to be addressed. On a personal level I would love to go to that World Cup - a conservative Muslim country (admittedly hidden away other stuff happens) and football - a win-win for me

Apparently theyre going to dismantle them and donate them to other countries (poorer countries)...for the life of me I have no clue how they can do that...but they say they can apparently.

Well on a technical level - dismantling stadiums isnt an issue providing they have been designed to do that from the start. I know you mentioned Wembley BUT Wembley was never built with the intention of dismantling it so that is why it would be impossible to do that, so a non-starter of an example really

It is like a flat pack bit of furniture or even a house - it is certainly possible BUT I find the idea frankly absurd - the costs of dismantling and then transporting, then erecting that stadium again would be huge and who is to say the poor country would use it? They are poor and high class big sporting venues are unlikely to be top of their agenda

Qatar are better off leaving the stadiums to rot in their own country and spend the money of dismantling/transportation on building something useful like a hospital/school in that poor country

Though on the Qatar bid - I think it was hasanb that mentioned a while back that he would have preffered to see a joint bid by the gulf states, that I think would have overall been the better solution. It would have reduced the white elephants we will see and decrease the chance of seeing half empty stadiums

Qatar?

What are they gonna do with all those stadia once the World Cup is over?

I think they plan to import it to developing countries which along with their plan for a carbon friendly world cup is very innovative.

I heared both the result and then the sour grapes on talksport.

I'm not sure when it became so important for a world cup to be held in a country which has a footballing culture and already has the infrastructure present and the people interested in the sport to be automatically handed the right to host the world cup.

I would have thought it would be a golden opportunity to let the sport spread in places it hasnt reached before and give a chance for other regions of the world to develop and become better for it.

With backing of people such as alex ferguson and zinedine zidane i don't think you could honestly say it was such a shocking decision

It isnt just about having new, pretty stadiums

England have plenty of suitable venues - a few which would have been new or considered as new (Wembley, Emirates, Olympic/WHL)

BUT the current stadiums, even though they were built years ago they are top class and are suitable for hosting football matches as demonstrated on a fortnightly basis, as a result it is clear that the infrastructure can cope and is suited to it

I think they plan to import it to developing countries which along with their plan for a carbon friendly world cup is very innovative.

I heared both the result and then the sour grapes on talksport.

I'm not sure when it became so important for a world cup to be held in a country which has a footballing culture and already has the infrastructure present and the people interested in the sport to be automatically handed the right to host the world cup.

I would have thought it would be a golden opportunity to let the sport spread in places it hasnt reached before and give a chance for other regions of the world to develop and become better for it.

With backing of people such as alex ferguson and zinedine zidane i don't think you could honestly say it was such a shocking decision

I agree BUT it helps because otherwise you get half empty stadiums and that reflects badly on the tournament as a whole

I am actually quite excited about the Qatar World Cup the more I think of it - the stadiums look stunning and their plans are definitely interesting.

It is a long way to go BUT Inshallah I will try my best to go that World Cup as it would suit me more than the other venues

I'm the one with the holier than thou attitude? Youre the one person on here who's got their knickers in such a twist that un-bunching them is going to be quite a task tonight! Youre the guy who's the most bitter on here for some reason mate.

As far as consumption goes...I can go to Canary Wharf and I can say for a fact they would tell me that they would much rather be in the BRIC country markets as opposed to what is at the moment a very stagnant and overly used US market

Russia and Qatar have the world cups and your "saacer" US does not.... deal with it.

No bitterness. I said, Middle East would be fine host. I just believe Qatar is very impractical. I think you can see from my previous posts, many of the pro-Qatar arguments just putting words in other peoples mouths. No one said Qatar can't do it. The fact they are of the highest risk and yet still won, makes the decision questionable.

And yes, I am calling you out on this. I notice you go around a lot, throwing the term "arrogant." You do this a lot (similar conduct in time-pass forum), and its becoming tedious.

US market can be overly used, yet no one can deny it still possess the largest consumer base in the world. And that was the point I was making.

Nothing to deal with here mate, just argue my points rather than worry about who and who isn't arrogant.

Im sick of hearing how Eng football fans are the most passionate. EVERY football nation has equally passionate fans. All talk, no action...just like the national team. Still a shame we lost out to Russia.

they have come close in recent times, but stumbled in the final hurdle.

Never have qualified for World Cup and best performance in Asia cup was a QF finish. I think better if they gave it a nation who has been abel to qualify to WC.

I am still of the opinion that I would have liked to see US or AUS get it. Based on their recent successes, I think a WC would really propel those two nations to take more notice of footy and that could create a new strong team. Look how good 94 was on the US, the US national team is quite consistent and a formidable opponent now.

US would have done a good job BUT I dont think it would have been right for them to get it - they hosted it fairly recently - Australia would have been a good choice

Agree that Australia would have been awesome. Oh well, it's done now and there is nothing we can do.

Agree that Australia would have been awesome. Oh well, it's done now and there is nothing we can do.

Indeed and I am actually quite excited about Qatar getting it

Muslim country means halal food everywhere and plenty of football - what more do you want?

Indeed and I am actually quite excited about Qatar getting it

Muslim country means halal food everywhere and plenty of football - what more do you want?

Whats more is that ppl from all over the world love visiting the Middle East...this should be a huge success.

Did anyone see Andrei Arshavin's speech for the Russian bid ?

''I am just a simples football player''.

3704143603_81dae9a08f.jpg

Despite all the arguing there is one thing people can agree with me on. That betting odds are useless and reflect no insider info. Last week Russia favourite and going into this England favourite. But, this was public knowledge that everyone knew. They have no more info than us. :))

Sorry WDFT, but betting odds just reflect public info.

Bit disappointed that we missed out, but not surprised:

• Australia isn't really what you could call a football powerhouse. Football's probably our No.4 team spectator sport, behind AFL, league and rugby.
  • timezones would have made it a nightmare for Europe and the Americas to watch the matches, impacting sponsorship
  • we have no clout in international football. We are hated by the people in charge of our own division (AFC) as they reckon we don't belong there, and Oceania is a fifth of a tenth of bugger all in terms of votes. We're not part of the old boys' club

We hosted a successful Olympics but that's different as you can schedule many different events during the day. To beam football matches into Europe in prime time they would have to schedule them at 6am or thereabouts.

So a bit disappointed but realistically FIFA want the game to be hosted in the Middle East where they will throw billions of $$$ at it.

England's only vote other than the English representative came from Cameroon, the guy who went against Sepp in 2002 and one of the guys giving info in Panorama.

Obviously disappointed that we won't be getting the WC, but congrats to the Russians.

I do think that there must be some underhand tactics because 2 votes out of 22 (1 really) is a joke. Definitely a big mistake by FIFA to award both the 2018 and 22 World Cups at the sametime.

The Panorama program probably didn't help, but I still expected England to be in the final round against Russia.

Not sure what to make of Qatar getting the 2022 WC.

Despite all the arguing there is one thing people can agree with me on. That betting odds are useless and reflect no insider info. Last week Russia favourite and going into this England favourite. But, this was public knowledge that everyone knew. They have no more info than us. :))

Sorry WDFT, but betting odds just reflect public info.

actually the market movements were spot-on imo

the clever money knew weeks ago that it was a done deal. Hence the heavy support for Russia backing them at large prices all the way down to odds-on 4/5 (see opening post)

it was only the in the last couple of days that we witnessed support for England causing the market to flip-flop and make them favourites. That support for England was from English MUGGS who believed all the hype that England would win because they had the best technical bid, the best presentation, Jack Warner's 3 votes in the bag etc. etc.

My countryman really did the dirty on England :))

i'm actually hoping now that the English media go after Jack Warner big time and take revenge. There's certainly plenty of dirt to uncover and they don't even have to look very hard to find it. I've been campaigning for over a decade to get rid of that muddac--t. He is to T&T football what Ijaz Butt is to Pak cricket

Though on the Qatar bid - I think it was hasanb that mentioned a while back that he would have preffered to see a joint bid by the gulf states, that I think would have overall been the better solution. It would have reduced the white elephants we will see and decrease the chance of seeing half empty stadiums
Agree with this. This would've been a much better solution. You keep it in the Middle East with its fervent support for the sport, you expand it to other places and you give different countries a chance to build and hold on to world class facilities.

Though the only problem with such an approach is who gets the automatic spot for being the host? Surely not all 6 GCC countries. A unified GCC team? All this would present its own headaches.

UAE proposed co-hosting to Qatar, but they said dafa ho jao.

Agree with this. This would've been a much better solution. You keep it in the Middle East with its fervent support for the sport, you expand it to other places and you give different countries a chance to build and hold on to world class facilities.

Though the only problem with such an approach is who gets the automatic spot for being the host? Surely not all 6 GCC countries. A unified GCC team? All this would present its own headaches.

Yeah a joint bid would have made so much more sense, as ive mentioned in a couple of threads already, imagine a WC with Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Doha, Jeddah, Riyadh, Muscat and Bahrain as host cities, that would be an actual world cup. As for the automatic spot issue I would say that none of the Arab teams really merit an automatic spot...I would say that there should be no automatic spots for that world cup and they just have the regular set of AFC qualifiers to see who goes through.

Currently the world cup 2022 will be held ALL in Doha in just one city which doesnt make a great deal of sense.

I am happy about it...I'm definitely happy about it and I think the reason for that is because I was born in the middle east and spent 18 years of my life over there. However practically...its still niggling at me...it doesnt make sense.

Qatar getting the WC is a joke - the country has no football pedigree, heart or soul. Money talks.

UAE proposed co-hosting to Qatar, but they said dafa ho jao.
Lol. Any ideas why?

For being in the GCC they sure don't like to cooperate much. For example the metro in Dubai, heard it was offered to be extended to Abu Dhabi but they refused. Sharjah reportedly also refused as well.

Yeah a joint bid would have made so much more sense, as ive mentioned in a couple of threads already, imagine a WC with Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Doha, Jeddah, Riyadh, Muscat and Bahrain as host cities, that would be an actual world cup. As for the automatic spot issue I would say that none of the Arab teams really merit an automatic spot...I would say that there should be no automatic spots for that world cup and they just have the regular set of AFC qualifiers to see who goes through.

Currently the world cup 2022 will be held ALL in Doha in just one city which doesnt make a great deal of sense.

I am happy about it...I'm definitely happy about it and I think the reason for that is because I was born in the middle east and spent 18 years of my life over there. However practically...its still niggling at me...it doesnt make sense.
The no automatic spots is an interesting idea.

Anyway, I think you and I are in complete agreement over this. Having personally witnessed the zeal for football in that part of the world, especially among young kids, who in 12 years time will be working adults, no doubt this will be great for the region. Hopefully will also help remove misconceptions about Qatari (and by extension Arab) society and culture as well. But as you say, just that practically it could've been worked better.

Blatter's ******** spouting about football evangelism makes me wonder why they didn't just tell the bidding nations with strong footballing backgrounds not to bother with bidding.

Think of all the money that's been spent and the air miles and carbon racked up from flying those delegates around the world. These cretins already knew who they were going to be voting for, they just enjoy going around and being groveled to.

As for the BBC Panorama thing, they clearly don't like nations with a free press.

Thats because the match was of no consequence.

Just scroll up and have a look at the stadia they intend to build and you will see what a fantastic world cup they will have - personal animosity to Arabs needs to be put aside for such objective analysis.

They're just a bunch of identikit stadia with a different plastic facade on the outside as far as I'm concerned.

Has Qatar qualified for the WC before out of curiosity? How long before they can nationalise some Brazilians to play for them?

Has Qatar qualified for the WC before out of curiosity? How long before they can nationalise some Brazilians to play for them?

They have not which it does not make sense. I was an advocate for US and Australia because both teams are somewhat bogey teams. Can turn the odd big result and I think hosting a WC would give them an additional push. The 94 WC had a huge impact on the US and you can see that in their team now which is able to consistently perform in the WC and now Aus starting to get there.

People say "well footy behind Rugby Cricket" in Australia...yes but with a WC, footy can make a bigger push. I think Aus has more potential to be bigger footy nation than US and the WC can be it to give that push. We can then have Ashes of football :yk

People can say the same for Qatar except US and AUS have a base to work from. Qatar has never qualified and in the Asia Cup, best finish they have had is a QF....but in recent tourneys they can't make it past group stage.

Wow the jealousy for Arabs has reached new hieghts. They have the money and people love to visit the ME and they will come for the World Cup.

Ok heres the news - World Cup 2022 is in Qatar - Live with it.

UK/Europe dont have a birthright to the World Cup - Anyone who can afford to should be allowed to host it

Well done FIFA for making the game truly global.

Wow the jealousy for Arabs has reached new hieghts. They have the money and people love to visit the ME and they will come for the World Cup.

UK/Europe dont have a birthright to the World Cup - Anyone who can afford to should be allowed to host it

Well done FIFA for making the game truly global.

Like I want to visit somewhere with a reputation for abusing human rights.

How many migrant workers will be entrapped into living in inhumane conditions and constructing these Meccano monstrosities?

Last edited:
Like I want to visit somewhere with a reputation for abusing human rights.

How many migrant workers will be entrapped into living in inhumane conditions and constructing these Meccano monstrosities?

Pls dont visit Qatar - no one if forcing you.

However, a few hundred thousand Westerners who live in this part of the world and the other thousands who come by to watch F1 to Bahrain and AD will be fine.

Those races are among the most docile on the F1 calendar. Bahrain might be alright, but the AD one's only saving grace is that twilight gimmick. And even then, they aren't the first with that.

Last edited:

We didn't have to demonstrate plans for new grounds because on the whole, they're already there. Are you suggesting we build Wembley all over again?

Moron.

Pls dont visit Qatar - no one if forcing you.

However, a few hundred thousand Westerners who live in this part of the world and the other thousands who come by to watch F1 to Bahrain and AD will be fine.

Was reading a interesting statistic. Of the 1.7M people in Qatar, only 200K are natives.

Miggy, I know you love ME but no one is questioning the ME here. People are questioning the practically of the tournament being held in a country that was deemed the highest risk by FIFA and a country yet to qualify.

Furthermore, the bid had nothing to do UK or Europe as they could not contest the 2022 bid. US and Aus seem more viable as they have established teams, and were of less risk. While you keep saying its "the Arabs" cup, you know that is far from the truth. This is Qatar's, Arabs are very divisive but I still expect them to visit.

Also what does that have to do with anything? This is a message board, meant for discussion. It is the first time I seen a mod stopping what I deem as an objective debate here.

Last edited:
Amir the having established teams is an absurd bit of reasoning - football is a global sport, it should not be restricted to those that have established sports

Personally I thought Australia would hebe been good for it though I am w quite happy now that Qatar has got it regardless of how rubbish their national team is

At least South Africa needn't worry about being the only host nation to go out in the group stage for too long.

We didn't have to demonstrate plans for new grounds because on the whole, they're already there. Are you suggesting we build Wembley all over again?

Moron.

Personally I think you're the moron, you have absolutely NO clue about the middle east and how it functions, you have no idea that places like Qatar, Dubai and Abu Dhabi are perhaps the most open muslim societies on the planet with westerners living there very happily able to do whatever they want...whenever they want. For someone who was apparently born in the poverty of Africa I wouldve thought you would know better but apparently not...you make Amirs comments sound good!

Englands bid was a good one and I will say again that they did not deserve just two votes. However the point raised is a good one...Russia was spending 4 billion pounds on new stadiums and they are going to do that now (in fact all their stadiums are already under construction).

When Germany got the World Cup there was an equal amount of stadium building, we even demolished existing established stadiums and built new ones in their place. England had no real plans to do that, they kept on harping on about how they could stage a world cup tomorrow....well the world cup wasnt tomorrow its in 8 years time and by then your newest stadium would be around 15 years old.

So Mr Moron...get the biased cap off and stop insulting others for no reason particularly if you have no clue about how that region works and how westernised that part of the world is. At least Amir was arguing based on facts...yours just firing from the hip. Pathetic.

Poverty of Africa, where did I say that?

I'm a lower middle-class Kent lad.

Poverty of Africa, where did I say that?

I'm a lower middle-class Kent lad.

Yeah that was my mistake, I read your intro thread wrong a few days ago.

That aside though Im very surprised at your comments on this thread and your overall ignorance. I agree England were quite hard done by, however I was quite surprised to see such posts from you because personally I had you down as one of the more sensible posters here on PP.

I watched Panorama's thing a while back about migrant workers in Dubai, completely changed my perception of that region. There's only so many people you can wow with really tall buildings.

My main beef with this selection is that FIFA's whole thing about legacies is nonsense, what kind of legacy is a load of stadia which aren't even going to be there after the tournament? All FIFA are concerned with is finding a country which is willing to let them take over, bleed as much cash as they can for themselves, and then leave it to sort out the after effects.

Last edited:
I watched Panorama's thing a while back about migrant workers in Dubai, completely changed my perception of that region. There's only so many people you can wow with really tall buildings.

Yeah there are problems over there as there are problems of different types all over the world. Those workers have it bad theres no denying that...and it needs to be addressed, in fact I believe to quite a big extent it has been addressed.

However what I would request of you is that unless you have properly lived over in that area...or any other area of the world for that matter, then don't pass judgement on that particularly area since you simply dont know what life is like over there and how things work unless you've actually lived there.

I'd bookmark this thread for when Blatter's reanimated corpse is getting in the way of the trophy presentation and making up stupid refereeing guidelines like he currently does, alas, we'll prolly have transcended the internet by then.

Miggy, I know you love ME but no one is questioning the ME here. People are questioning the practically of the tournament being held in a country that was deemed the highest risk by FIFA and a country yet to qualify.

Furthermore, the bid had nothing to do UK or Europe as they could not contest the 2022 bid. US and Aus seem more viable as they have established teams, and were of less risk. While you keep saying its "the Arabs" cup, you know that is far from the truth. This is Qatar's, Arabs are very divisive but I still expect them to visit.

Also what does that have to do with anything? This is a message board, meant for discussion. It is the first time I seen a mod stopping what I deem as an objective debate here.

Doesnt seem too objective to me - and who stopped you from expressing your view? I havent.

Back