First ODI between Pakistan and Sri Lanka abandoned due to rain

MenInG

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
Pakistan, hosting its first one-day international in more than four years, will hope to treat the home crowd with a complete performance as the three-match series against Sri Lanka gets under way in Karachi.

Overview:

Pakistan v Sri Lanka, 1st ODI
National Stadium, Karachi
Friday, 27 September, 3:00pm local, 10:00am GMT

After a disappointing World Cup campaign, Pakistan, under their new coach Misbah-ul-Haq, and with new faces in the squad, appear to be a motivated lot. They have focused on fitness in the run-up to the series and go into the series with confidence.

The series presents an opportunity for players such as Iftikhar Ahmed, Mohammad Rizwan and Mohammad Nawaz, who are making comebacks into the national side, to establish themselves.

After the World Cup, Sri Lanka put up three complete performances to whitewash Bangladesh in the three-match ODI series at home last month. But with senior players withdrawing from the tour of Pakistan, they face an uphill task in unfamiliar conditions.

They'll also be worried of stand-in skipper Lahiru Thirimanne's fitness, as the left-hander had complained of pain in his back while training ahead of the tour.

Remember the last time

The World Cup fixture between the two teams was washed out. In their last completed game, the final ODI of the five-match series in UAE in October 2017, Usman Shinwari's 5/34 restricted Sri Lanka to 103 in the 27th over, setting up a comfortable nine-wicket victory and a 5-0 series whitewash. Before that series, they also defeated Sri Lanka in their Champions Trophy clash.

What they said

Sarfaraz Ahmed, Pakistan captain: "History will be made on Friday when Karachi will host the first bilateral ODI series since January 2009. I request all local cricket fans to be part of history so that they can tell the next generation that they were at the National Stadium when an international series was played."

Dasun Shanaka, Sri Lanka all-rounder: "I have been there before. I am satisfied with the security arranged for us and I am happy to lead my team (as T20I captain) to Pakistan. We hope to give a good fight to our very strong hosts."

Conditions

It's expected to be a largely cloudy day in Karachi with a few sunny intervals and a gentle breeze. Teams chasing have won four of the last six ODIs at the National Stadium.

https://www.icc-cricket.com/news/1358265

Last edited:
Really looking forward to the game.

Btw I heard that Babar Azam needs around 280 runs in this ODI series to surpass Kohli in ODI Rankings

Even if its a weakened SL team and a pakistan team full of TTFs at least karachi gets to see international cricket again.

It's raining hard right now. It's a new Karachi where it's been raining almost every day these days.

It's pelting down. Even if the rain stops, the drainage facilities won't let the game start.

Raining harder today than it has the past few days with no signs of stopping. Lots of thunder and dark clouds.

Someone give me hope that it won't be a washout have taken a day off work today.

I dont see any match happening.
Just look at the outfield.Even if the rain stops i dont see it drying out soon.
The rain has been incredibly severe.The thunder and lightning is almost terrifying.Its a different Karachi now lol.

The weather in Peshawar is cloudy, but no rain over here, so it would have been so good if the match was held in Peshawar. But Pakistan is mainly captured by Lahore/Karachi nexus, kind of, especially when it comes to cricket, as all of the televised domestic and international (after cricket resumption in the country) matches have been either held in Karachi or Punjab. In all those years of no cricket, PCB should have fixed every stadium in this country.

The weather in Peshawar is cloudy, but no rain over here, so it would have been so good if the match was held in Peshawar. But Pakistan is mainly captured by Lahore/Karachi nexus, kind of, especially when it comes to cricket, as all of the televised domestic and international (after cricket resumption in the country) matches have been either held in Karachi or Punjab. In all those years of no cricket, PCB should have fixed every stadium in this country.
Work is underway in Arban Niaz satdium but security situation would not let it host a match. You are right wvwrything in pak is about punjab and karachi.

The infrastructure is so bad that one session of rain will abandon the whole match.

Instead of investing so much on roof, could have used that money to improve the drainage system of the ground.

Work is underway in Arban Niaz satdium but security situation would not let it host a match. You are right wvwrything in pak is about punjab and karachi.

Thats normal for developing / third world country.

Super Soppers were not around when the last game was played at Karachi. They may need to invest in future but its a rare occurrence in Karachi for it to be raining.

this is poor having a international venue without them . I guess a T20 might be the only hope today .

Extremely low chances of the game today.

There is minimum of 1 feet water clogged at the outer edge of the boundary with massive puddles all in the outfield.

The groundsmen are trying really hard, as this was a most anticipated event in 10 years for NSK, but lack of equipment and no state of the art drainage system doesn't make the job easy.

At best (and this a long shot) we might have a T20 game.

Extremely low chances of the game today.

There is minimum of 1 feet water clogged at the outer edge of the boundary with massive puddles all in the outfield.

The groundsmen are trying really hard, as this was a most anticipated event in 10 years for NSK, but lack of equipment and no state of the art drainage system doesn't make the job easy.

At best (and this a long shot) we might have a T20 game.

What about the helicopter they used last time? It worked pretty well.

You can't chopper dry 1+ feet of water tbh, the only solution is if you pump it out or if the drains take the puddles as intended via the drainage system.

In hindsight they should've covered the whole ground. There's a slim chance of a T20 though.

this is poor having a international venue without them . I guess a T20 might be the only hope today .

Its not poor if you consider the circumstances. No international cricket for last 10 years and no game was cancelled due to rain prior.

Damn it🤦*♂️. Its been raining in UK as well for the last 4 days. Very un heard of Rain In Karachi. Bad luck for Karachi Fans. They knew about the weather why not play in Lahore First.

No chance of the match. They clearing the water with wipers��. PCB need to improve facilities big time, if they want to bring professionalism in the country. This is your national stadium and u don’t even have super sopper.

The need to pump it away.

Incredibly poor management.
So dissapointed. I dont see the match on Sunday happening either.

Given Karachi's non-existent drainage facilities, I won't be surprised if the second ODI is hampered by poor outfield too.

Really unlucky for the PCB.

This is very very sad so many years of waiting end up this.

Damn man this kinda feels bad all the extra security and the wait the money all gone down the drain literally

Its not poor if you consider the circumstances. No international cricket for last 10 years and no game was cancelled due to rain prior.

i disagree , consider a operation theater not used for a decade & now going for a major surgery without the essentials - that is POOR imo .

i disagree , consider a operation theater not used for a decade & now going for a major surgery without the essentials - that is POOR imo .

Okay if thats your thinking! But logic will suggest if a theater is not used for 10 years it would not be state of the art. But some people defies logic.

Back