Generational chokers vs chokers of the decade, whose curse will finally end?

This choke job was bigger than Pakistan's 48 off 48.

What a choke. That's textbook in how to lose matches.

Its you actually.

You dont see Pak fans spending their time on Indian forums, but you can always count on Indian fans making themselves at home with Pak fans.

Let me know when the penny drops.
That is because, we do not have quality forums like this. Most Indians on this forum are millennials and earlier, like to express their thoughts through words and have Pakistani bowlers and Indian batsman as their heroes. These Pakistani bowlers tortured us for years but created the next generation of our bowlers who have been winning games for us. This is an ideal place for us express our emotions to an audience quite similar to us and culturally pretty much the same. I love the way Pakistan played their cricket growing up and I have seen nobody in this Pakistan team whom I can admire now. It's a shame.

Totally. They needed 24 off 22. They literally were one shot away from a win. Still can’t believe they choked from there.

Totally. They needed 24 off 22. They literally were one shot away from a win. Still can’t believe they choked from there.
Maharaj is a beast against Pakistan and got them over the line in the 50 over WC. He is sensible in these middly situations.

Shat against India.

Well we have the answer. It was a fair thread. We don't need to mock, we have won time to celebrate and move on from this thread

It was a choke from 30 off 30. You expect the team to pull that out 90% of the time.
With respect, I disagree. Game is not played on paper. SA were in the game till last over. They could have easily won. They did not let the occasion get to them. Miller’s shot could have gone for six with matter of inches. What else do you want from the match. It was as close as it could get.

This is going to hurt the usual suspects just as much as the 15 losses spread across 32 years. This is like buy one get 15 free :thumbsup

It was more a case of Bumrah brilliant overs and gun catch which was just inches away from ropes. Game was pretty close, but SA was outplayed by India.

Yes, a team can choke to make 30 runs in 30 balls by playing poorly, but here it was more a case of India playing brillaintly and outplaying SA.

Maharaj is a beast against Pakistan and got them over the line in the 50 over WC. He is sensible in these middly situations.

Shat against India.
There was no way he was going to perform at his best against India.

When SA beat Pakistan, Indians were posting memes saying "one Maharaj is enough to beat 11 mullahs"

So his origins played a role in his lackluster performance

When SA beat Pakistan, Indians were posting memes saying "one Maharaj is enough to beat 11 mullahs"

What an absolute load of nonsense lol, what does Indian trolls posting memes online have anything to do with this.

He was a lower order batsmen up against the best pacer in the world in a wc final

Don't be so bitter

Saffers just freezed in last 5 overs. It seemed like their bats suddenly started weighing 50 kg

Pak India match was played on a difficult pitch. Teams struggled to score run a ball at that venue throughout.
But Saffers were playing on a belter and the momentum was well n truly with them. Feel only SA could have done this

Klaasen was running on adrenalin. Just before the Hardik over when he got out, India slowed things down. There was a shot of Klaasen on his haunches and you could see the clouds beginning to descend on his eyes. I think that minute or so is when the enormity of what was about to happen sank into him and the others. I don't know if you can call it a choke, it's just pressure weighing down your hands and body.

But whoever slowed things down helped India win the game

It was more a case of Bumrah brilliant overs and gun catch which was just inches away from ropes. Game was pretty close, but SA was outplayed by India.

Yes, a team can choke to make 30 runs in 30 balls by playing poorly, but here it was more a case of India playing brillaintly and outplaying SA.
They have gone with 6 pure batsmen 7th batsman who can hang around in Tests occasionally in LOIs. But he is not a batsman you can trust. Then 8,9, 10, Jack who probably won't have clue about how to hit into the wind. They were in trouble against so many teams including Nepal because of this lack of batting depth. THey could have taken singles and twos and won. But In order to deal with Bumrah over they tried to over hit other bowlers. In a way Bumrah was indirectly responsible for few of those wickets.

They have gone with 6 pure batsmen 7th batsman who can hang around in Tests occasionally in LOIs. But he is not a batsman you can trust. Then 8,9, 10, Jack who probably won't have clue about how to hit into the wind. They were in trouble against so many teams including Nepal because of this lack of batting depth. THey could have taken singles and twos and won. But In order to deal with Bumrah over they tried to over hit other bowlers. In a way Bumrah was indirectly responsible for few of those wickets.
Yah, they were trying to defend against Bumrah and still lost wickets. Lack of batting depth finally cost the team here. India had the same problem in last WC final. These problems comes back to bite you in long tournaments agaisnt good teams.

What a rubbish. I get it is random cricket forum filled with anonymous keyboard warriors but to say things like this is just uncalled for. It is an insult to Keshav who gave it all in the game. You could se the disappointment writ large on his face at the end.

A well deserved victory for team India
India demolished minnows ,as well as strong teams such as Aus,Eng, SA,Afg en route to winning T20 Worldcup.
They defended a low score on a seaming NY track. On the same track they chased well as well to win against Ire.
They scored 170's and 190's on bouncy tracks and defended those totals in super 8's with big margins.
On a turning track they scores 170 and the demolished Eng in SF and this despite loosing a must win toss based on conditions and rain threat.

The bowling was phenomenal. Arshdeep is called a trundler but hey such wicket taking trundlers are needed rather than ""'pace is pace' -hit me for sixes please"" bowlers ;). Spinners stuck to their line and length and did not try anything extra ordinary. Bumrah is one of the best bowlers in last 50 years, if not the best.
The bench strength of India batters( Jaiswal, Rinku, Samson) was such that in any other Asian team they would be super star and first name on their batters list.
Finally IPL has to get the credit for this world cup win. If IPL has been blamed for past performances, then IPL is the reason today how Indian team handled pressure because they have seen similar pressure again and again in IPL and have adapted to the different pitches.

And lastly, Afghnistan proved they are learning from Indian grounds and IPL participation. They will be second best in Asia in about 3-5 years time.

India now has 2 x T20 WC, 2 X ODI WC , 2 C CT

Klaasen was running on adrenalin. Just before the Hardik over when he got out, India slowed things down. There was a shot of Klaasen on his haunches and you could see the clouds beginning to descend on his eyes. I think that minute or so is when the enormity of what was about to happen sank into him and the others. I don't know if you can call it a choke, it's just pressure weighing down your hands and body.

But whoever slowed things down helped India win the game
Read about this in a very good sports psychology book titled 'BOUNCE' by Matthew Syed.

Yah, they were trying to defend against Bumrah and still lost wickets. Lack of batting depth finally cost the team here. India had the same problem in last WC final. These problems comes back to bite you in long tournaments agaisnt good teams.
It is a lesson for all teams. You need cover for unexpected situations. You cannot go with long tail in world cups. Even Australia needed Andy Bichel twice in 2003 world cup to bail them out. Once against England once against New zealand.

SA did a SA no doubt but don't take away from the brilliance of India. It's only because of SA people might talk about their choking more than India's bowling. It was always Gona be tough Vs bumrah but Hardik truly delivered. So did arshdeep.

Tbh this might not have come to last over if Rohit gave the ball to hardik or bumrah after klassen hit Kuldeep. Axar almost lost the match for India

Rohit can thank his three pace bowlers or else he might have finished without winning a title as captain of India

Before the game, there were 2 chokers. There is now one choker and that is South Africa.

I believe this thread has run its course. Nothing further to discuss.

Only reason people think South Africa choked is OP and others who have never seen such high quality death bowling from their own team's bowlers.

Do we not watch other teams?

Where was this high quality death bowling in 2023 WC final? LOL.

It was a combination of SA choking and Bumrah.

Last edited by a moderator:
Only reason people think South Africa choked is OP and others who have never seen such high quality death bowling from their own team's bowlers.
Regardless of bowling quality, 30 off 30 with 7 wickets in hand is as easy it gets for a batting powerhouse like South Africa.

Klassen’s irresponsible shot at a really poor delivery actually set in motion this choke, as Bumrah might not have been able to do much the way he was seeing the ball.

Aussies probably would've chased 30 off 30 down very easily. Even against Bumrah.

SA seemed nervous after 15th over. They panicked.
Because Aus bat deep, SA don’t.. I would expect Eng to chase that as well, but they are terrible at playing spinz

For one thing Australia would have had no batsman that is taking on spinners like Klassen did. They wouldn't have come close

Yeah they choked this year too, it’s a perfect win for us coz we beat every good team except NZ.

Aussies didn't choke. They lost normally. They didn't have to chase 30 off 30.

Choking = Losing from a comfortable winning position/Losing despite being a massive favorite.

Aussies didn't choke. They lost normally. They didn't have to chase 30 off 30.

Choking = Losing from a comfortable winning position/Losing despite being a massive favorite.
Against Afghans they did..

This was a choke - that's what they originally coined the term for. Eng losing was not a choke nor was Afg losing. But 27 in 28 balls and 6 wickets left-still don't know how ind pulled it off. Has to be the choke of a generation for SA. Will be a few mental scars in that team. Even if they lost klaasen 24 in 24 with 5 wickets should be a breeze. But what bowling by bumrah though! Top notch stuff! And then pandya bowled toght and got klaasen.. but feelfor markram and klaasen. Man - markram speech you could feel the pain in his voice.. honestly a great game!!👍

That was an anomaly. Nobody associates Aussies with "choking". They do not choke 9 out of 10 times.

I am referring to ICC events.
Are you referring to ICC KO? If thats your logic then India hasnt choken any either..as in most finals we werent in winning position..

Are you referring to ICC KO? If thats your logic then India hasnt choken any either..

Did you write that with a straight face? What do you think the thread was about?

India have been getting knocked out in KOs till 2024 World T20 (despite being one of the favorites). That was choking.

Did you write that with a straight face? What do you think the thread was about?

India have been getting knocked out in KOs till today (despite being one of the favorites). That was choking.
You just said Choking is being in a winning position and losing? Which Ko was India in a winning position and lost? Do you read what you post?

You just said Choking is being in a winning position and losing? Which Ko was India in a winning position and lost? Do you read what you post?

You are trying to whitewash India's choking from 2014 World T20 till 2023 WC. Nice try.

Why do you engage with him, ignore him. There's a reason he doesn't quote other Indian posters

You are trying to whitewash India's choking from 2014 World T20 till 2023 WC. Nice try.
No I’m just pointing out flaw in your logic which says Aus doesn’t choke

When I used the same logic for India you are changing goal posts

What a rubbish. I get it is random cricket forum filled with anonymous keyboard warriors but to say things like this is just uncalled for. It is an insult to Keshav who gave it all in the game. You could se the disappointment writ large on his face at the end.
He took two main wickets that gave SA the early momentum. India might have scored 200+ the way Rohit was playing

mate we might be whitewashing a 10 year choke, you are still coping from a 30 year joke that is your cricket team. Tigers should sue your team and fans for for flase representation

BD is a small nation. India is a large nation (larger landmass). That means they can accommodate more facilities/grounds.

Not to mention, India regularly gets preferential treatment by ICC.

Anyway, enjoy your World Cup. No need to derail the thread by bringing in Bangladesh (not the topic of the thread).

Being outplayed by an opposition due to some brillaint cricket is not really a choke.

Choke is when you come under pressure to lose a game from easily winnable position and opposition is not really playing some earthshaterring cricket.

Just losing is not a choke.

Many posters are mixing everything and simply calling any loss as choke. Losing KO does not become a choke. You got to see what happened in the match.

When your team wins, you feel great and generous. Then the morning after comes and you want that extra little to fix the high that has dissipated. That's why posts like this exist. To aid in the recovery. Thank you sir :dhoni

Being outplayed by an opposition due to some brillaint cricket is not really a choke.

Choke is when you come under pressure to lose a game from easily winnable position and opposition is not really playing some earthshaterring cricket.

Many posters are mixing everything and simply calling any loss as choke. Losing KO does not become a choke. You got to see what happened in the match.
If it were 40 off 30 I would call that losing. However, 27 off 28 is choking of the highest order lol..with 6 wickets in hand.

In Cricket, two things are set in stone: RSA perennial choker, BD perennial minnow. I hope to see both of these teams overcome their lifelong tag in my lifetime.

26 off 24 with 6 wickets left and two set batsmen.

That's some serious choking in my books.

Indians bowled well and deserve credit but the same bowling group got hit around for the first 16 overs leading to 151/4.

If it were 40 off 30 I would call that losing. However, 27 off 28 is choking of the highest order lol..with 6 wickets in hand.

In Cricket, two things are set in stone: RSA perennial choker, BD perennial minnow. I hope to see both of these teams overcome their lifelong tag in my lifetime.
30 runs 30 balls should be gettable most of the times, but you have to account for SA tail and Bumrah 2 overs left. Not saying that SA shouldn't have won it, but plenty of times teams have lost which is real choke like not defending 18-20 runs due to bowling bad suddenly or team not scoring 2-3 runs in last over. Those will be far bigger chokes. Even SA has many bigger chokes where game was in bag.

This one was part choking and part India simply playing brilliant cricket. If India was playing normal cricket and SA lost due to freezing due to pressure then I will call it a mother of all chokes but that was not the case.

Indians bowled well and deserve credit but the same bowling group got hit around for the first 16 overs leading to 151/4.
Well, you are picking exact point before Klas got out. Not the same bowling though that was the difference. Pacers were hard to hit, it was spinners who got carted all around.

Honestly the only player that choked was Miller.. as he was the only recognisable batsman who had to stay to finish, but only he choked..the other tailenders just couldn't handle Bumrah and Arsh(insane how it sounds).

Plus the 151 they hit all spinners, you will notice how less runs the pacers gave..

38 runs by Bumrah and Arsh in 8 overs..and 4 wickets

Honestly the only player that choked was Miller.. as he was the only recognisable batsman who had to stay to finish, but only he choked..the other tailenders just couldn't handle Bumrah and Arsh(insane how it sounds).

Plus the 151 they hit all spinners, you will notice how less runs the pacers gave..
Dunno man. That was a six he hit. Surya GOAT. That goes for six like it deserved to and you're down to 10 off 5 balls. Hardik and India totally deflated. There is always that fear of Miller based on his IPL performances, I'm sure among the Indian players.

Dunno man. That was a six he hit. Surya GOAT. That goes for six like it deserved to and you're down to 10 off 5 balls. Hardik and India totally deflated. There is always that fear of Miller based on his IPL performances, I'm sure among the Indian players.
That’s a fair point

Yah, it was so close. Probelm was poor tail who could not handle Indian pacers. Yes, Miller's could have still finished the game.

I don't think 16 off 6 is easy, I don't even think 10 off 5 is easy. However, 27 off 28 with 6 wickets is way easier...on normal days I would assume.

Unless, of course, game has changed where even 16 off 20 is not a sure thing.

When you lose an argument, deflect. LOL. Typical Indian.

BD is a small nation. India is a large nation (larger landmass). That means they can accommodate more facilities/grounds.

Not to mention, India regularly gets preferential treatment by ICC.

Anyway, enjoy your World Cup. No need to derail the thread by bringing in Bangladesh (not the topic of the thread). I am not even a hardcore nationalist. You insulting BD doesn't affect me much.
Bangladesh is not a small nation. , it has a very good economy for a developing country, stable government, enough resources to compete .

There is no excuse for BD underperfoming for so long except mismanagement of cricket by the administrators. It's always one step forward and two steps back

Back