How many more Test matches can Jasprit Bumrah play?

kron

First Class Captain
Runs
We all know about his action, is it sustainable? well he has sustained it well in tests since 2017. I know he will be deadly in odi and t20 even in his late 30s. but tests is a huge workload. It is also the most prestigious format

He is not the kind of bowler that can play more than 6 tests a year in my opinion. Thats why india should always go for 5 bowlers in test format which means number 8 should be able to bat and the spinner must know how to score too.

Bumrah has a very strenuous action and the amount of stress he puts on his back etc given he is able to impart backspin is excessive. Great attacks were forged in pairs and had good support cast. bumrah does have that but i am wondering how many more tests he can play given his bowling action.

I predict about 25 to 30 max in the next 5 to 6 years. he also has to play IPL for obvious reasons. IPL schedule and workload counts as 2 tests matches tbh. if you look at overs bowled. then there is t20 and odi bilaterals which he should just skip.

A few players post age 30 have played 30 to 40 games so its not unrealistic at all.

60 to 70 tests is a good predictor provided no major injuries.

Rabada should get to 95
Cummins around there too.
Hazlewood around 90

Last edited by a moderator:
I think he'll be fine. He's extremely fit and that unique action is something he's honed.

People are making a fuss about his back being strained but the guy is naturally double jointed and flexible and has yoga gymnastic level flexibility.

He'll be fine. The better question to ask is, if he'll lose his form by overload. Since lots of pacers by age 33 to 34 lose their vigour compared to their late 20's like starc did, mainly because Australia felt the need to play him in everything excessively.

But his action isn't putting a strain on his back or anything

If board manages him effectively, he could possibly play for another 3 years but one thing is for sure that he cant sustain any long haul injury now.

If board manages him effectively, he could possibly play for another 3 years but one thing is for sure that he cant sustain any long haul injury now.
Yea for sure. Although steyn ha multiple surgeries and still cane back strong though. Maybe modern medicine is better.

As much as his body can only afford.

But he must first go past 200 wickets mark to be considered an all time great.

Bumrah is 30 Y.O. If he stays fit for next 5-6 years then I am expecting at least 30 more tests for him and he might cross 300 wicket mark as well.

3 home tests and 5 in Australia remaining.. Out of this, he will play maximum 5 or 6.
He is one major injury away from missing tests and losing form. Getting 300+ wickets will be great achievement for me.

For as long as possible. Us Indians dont have enough athletes with raw athletic ability like Pakistan, West Indies, South Africa, Australia.
Yes and no.

West Indies, SA and Australia 100% have more raw ability.

India has better infrastructure but natural raw athletic ability? Nope.

As for pakistan, pakistan is behind 100%.

I wish he can play 90 to 100 tests . He will defenetely get 300 test wickets. He looks super fit. Greatest bowler of this era.

Yes and no.

SA and aus also has better peds etc. India is a diverse country. Many different gene types. We have all kinds. You will find a mix of many different type of athletes.

But it is still a poor country so India is behind the sena countries when it comes to developing athletes as access to proper nutrition etc is still lacking. Getting there slowly.

SA and aus also has better peds etc. India is a diverse country. Many different gene types. We have all kinds. You will find a mix of many different type of athletes.

But it is still a poor country so India is behind the sena countries when it comes to developing athletes as access to proper nutrition etc is still lacking. Getting there slowly.
India is a developed country bhai, humans are products of their genetics and environment. Even if you have poor genetics the environment is good enough to elevate you into that tier.

It's why India as a cricketing nation is > West indies. West indies don't have the environment, they just have natural raw ability.

In terms of genetics, WI is clearly ahead of other countries followed by Australia. It's because wi ancestors are slaves who evolved overtime, they are built to be hella strong and resilient and Aussie ancestors are convicts sent to a land to die but they had survival genes to build a country etc etc.

India on the other hand is way way way too vast. Not all the ancestorial geme pool faced mogul wars or British rule and had the reliance to fight back, only some of the geme pool, not all. And to top it off their gene pool dates even further back then the moguls in fact it dates 5000 years back even before Christ era.

Some of their gene pool is also from the buddist era which was naturally peaceful and not built for a fight.

It's too vast and varied compared to aussies and wi that have a set clear indicator of where they started. But it doesn't change the fact that they have a superior environment to both Australia and wi.

Yes and no.

India does not have better infrastructure than Australia. You clearly don't know what you are talking about ?

India is a developed country bhai, humans are products of their genetics and environment. Even if you have poor genetics the environment is good enough to elevate you into that tier.

It's why India as a cricketing nation is > West indies. West indies don't have the environment, they just have natural raw ability.

In terms of genetics, WI is clearly ahead of other countries followed by Australia. It's because wi ancestors are slaves who evolved overtime, they are built to be hella strong and resilient and Aussie ancestors are convicts sent to a land to die but they had survival genes to build a country etc etc.

India on the other hand is way way way too vast. Not all the ancestorial geme pool faced mogul wars or British rule and had the reliance to fight back, only some of the geme pool, not all. And to top it off their gene pool dates even further back then the moguls in fact it dates 5000 years back even before Christ era.

Some of their gene pool is also from the buddist era which was naturally peaceful and not built for a fight.

It's too vast and varied compared to aussies and wi that have a set clear indicator of where they started. But it doesn't change the fact that they have a superior environment to both Australia and wi.
Depends which part of india. Some parts you will find lot of tough strong guys. Village ones in particular. Even walk down the streets in Brisbane, you will see tons of tall well built Punjabis etc.

But then like I said india is vast. East Indians, central and some parts of south are generally on the smaller side. It all depends on how you are raised and what enivronemnt you are exposed to.

He will and should play at least 30 more tests. it is not a big number.
Do you think he can play till 37 ish?

The thing with him is even if loses pace, he rushes the batsmen due to his action and he has a short run up. Not over exerting himself really.

He can have an Anderson like career. Rely on swing, reverse swing and movement plus accuracy when he is over 34 35. Since he has all tools.

But he can't afford to lose that vicious bouncer ability. He would need that.

India does not have better infrastructure than Australia. You clearly don't know what you are talking about ?
Their the 5th largest economy in the world, Banglagore is quite literally the copy of silicon Valley, Mukesh Ambani alone has more power then any aussie billionaire combined, IPL has more money and power then icc combined, bcci gets more money by icc per year then any board combined?

It's you who has no clue what he's talking about. The difference is that because India is so big and vast some areas are under developed while some aren't.

That doesn't mean that In its entirety India is lesser. They'll become a super power nation within the next 50 years.

Don't lecture me about Geography, Go to a library, read a book, brush up. Chip chop, time to get that A grade.

Their the 5th largest economy in the world, Banglagore is quite literally the copy of silicon Valley, Mukesh Ambani alone has more power then any aussie billionaire combined, IPL has more money and power then icc combined, bcci gets more money by icc per year then any board combined?

It's you who has no clue what he's talking about. The difference is that because India is so big and vast some areas are under developed while some aren't.

That doesn't mean that In its entirety India is lesser. They'll become a super power nation within the next 50 years.

Don't lecture me about Geography, Go to a library, read a book, brush up. Chip chop, time to get that A grade.
That has nothing to do with cricketing infrastructure.

Like I said, you have no idea what you are talking about.

I see a lot of comments in this thread which are unfortunately very reflective of a typical Bharatiya mentality.

The target should not be playing XYZ tests or getting ZYZ wickets

With Bumrah, we should aim for important test series victories and ICC tournament wins. Apart from that he need not be wasted in any other. Cricket matches unless the bowling coach believes it’s vital for his form and fitness.

I see a lot of comments in this thread which are unfortunately very reflective of a typical Bharatiya mentality.

The target should not be playing XYZ tests or getting ZYZ wickets

With Bumrah, we should aim for important test series victories and ICC tournament wins. Apart from that he need not be wasted in any other. Cricket matches unless the bowling coach believes it’s vital for his form and fitness.
Ideally Bumrah should only play ICC events, overseas tests & IPL

look at how Daley Steyn was mothballed to extend his career. He played very few ODIs

That has nothing to do with cricketing infrastructure.

Like I said, you have no idea what you are talking about.
Right, I guess when vvs laxman stated that their infrastructure is world class and superior to any nation, He also had no clue what he was talking about.

Ig bcci who's literal job is to facilitate cricketing infrastructure with their 250M followed by IPL which has mellowed down almost every nation in the world also has nothing to Do with infrastructure.

Naah. In cricket India's infra is a good as Australia if not better. Not so for other sports
Their cricketing infrastructure is superior to Australia's.

It isn't far superior or anything and both are world class, But India is ahead atm

Right, I guess when vvs laxman stated that their infrastructure is world class and superior to any nation, He also had no clue what he was talking about.

Ig bcci who's literal job is to facilitate cricketing infrastructure with their 250M followed by IPL which has mellowed down almost every nation in the world also has nothing to Do with infrastructure.
Australia has very strict guidelines on bowler workload , rest and recovery and it's enforced very strictly even at age group level.

All young bowlers coming through are GPS tracked and actions are corrected at a very early age.

Indian bowlers are not monitored at this level anywhere in our domestic.

The system in Australia is superior.

Australia has very strict guidelines on bowler workload , rest and recovery and it's enforced very strictly even at age group level.

All young bowlers coming through are GPS tracked and actions are corrected at a very early age.

Indian bowlers are not monitored at this level anywhere in our domestic.

The system in Australia is superior.
They are. They 100% are however what you're claiming, I'm fully aware of this argument and many Indian journalists use to frequently use this excuse to justify a lack of bowling talent.

But now they proudly proclaim and gloat about their system.

The truth is they have the best system and they adopt the exact same methods but with even greater efficiency then Australia.

It's just Australians ultimately are naturally superior to their strong genes. An aussie with zero training would beat an Indian with zero training. That's just how it is.

If infrastructure did not exist then West indies would be no 1, Followed by australia no 2. But that's not the case.

Indian infra is ahead but it isn't miles ahead, both systems are world class and comparable.

They are. They 100% are however what you're claiming, I'm fully aware of this argument and many Indian journalists use to frequently use this excuse to justify a lack of bowling talent.

The truth is they have the best system and they adopt the exact same methods but with even greater efficiency then Australia.

It's just Australians ultimately are naturally superior to their strong genes. An aussie with zero training would beat an Indian with zero training. That's just how it is.

If infrastructure did not exist then West indies would be no 1, Followed by australia no 2. But that's not the case.

Indian infra is ahead but it isn't miles ahead, both systems are world class and comparable.

Examples of where this is happening

Read the topic of thread again and then post.

Thread is not about any other player except BUMRAH and his wickets.

Anything less than 400 Test wickets would be disappointing. He has ability to do that.

Would you rather play Bumrah only in tests, allow him to feast in some low level teams like Bangladesh, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, West Indies etc to get to 400 test wickets.

Or would you rather take 300 test wickets including a few important series wins vs SENA & another ICC trophy.

Not really. Depends which part of india. Plenty of Indians out there who are stronger than Aussie. Without training I mean and on shitty diets.

But yea the geeky ones you see won't for obvious reasons.

Would you rather play Bumrah only in tests, allow him to feast in some low level teams like Bangladesh, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, West Indies etc to get to 400 test wickets.

Or would you rather take 300 test wickets including a few important series wins vs SENA & another ICC trophy.
Bymrah if he helps us win a series in England and a wtc plus another series win in SA if possible l then that itself seals his status as one of the best ever to do it. He is already In top 10 atg.

Anything less than 400 Test wickets would be disappointing. He has ability to do that.
400 wickets can only happens if he India plays lots of tests against bottom 4-5 teams and Bumrah happens to play all of them.

For example, Bumrah is averaging 10-12 runs against Sl/WI/BD. So he can accumultae lots of wickets without bowling that much. But I don't think he should focus on that. No bowler gets rated for volume of wickets, it's about performance in tough series.

If I have to bet, I will bet on Bumrah not getting anywhere close to 400, even 300 will be tough.

400 wickets can only happens if he India plays lots of tests against bottom 4-5 teams and Bumrah happens to play all of them.

For example, Bumrah is averaging 10-12 runs against Sl/WI/BD. So he can accumultae lots of wickets without bowling that much. But I don't think he should focus on that. No bowler gets rated for volume of wickets, it's about performance in tough series.

If I have to bet, I will bet on Bumrah not getting anywhere close to 400, even 300 will be tough.
Now shami is almost out from BGT ,i will not play bumrah more than one match against NZ .

He needs to be fit otherwise 5-0 on the Cards . I have feeling this time we may repeat 2011-12 performance .

Now shami is almost out from BGT ,i will not play bumrah more than one match against NZ .

He needs to be fit otherwise 5-0 on the Cards . I have feeling this time we may repeat 2011-12 performance .
If Bumrah and Shami , both are not playing in Aus then it will be an easy win for Aus. I anyway expect Aus to win this time.

No it will be close.
2-1 or 3-2 Aussies even without shami

Bumrah
Akashdeep
Siraj
Harshit
Dayal
Maybe mayank once fit
Nitish will come in too. Good AR

.we will be fine.

I am hoping Bumrah has at least 2 tours to AUS, ENG each and 3 cumulative tours to NZ and SAf. So 20-26 more tests in SENA.

I would prefer to see Bumrah take 400+ Test wickets, becoming the first Indian to achieve this milestone in this century and only the second Indian in the history of international cricket.

Of course, if this performance also contributes to series wins against top teams, it would be the perfect icing on the cake.

Additionally, teams like Sri Lanka and the West Indies are no longer considered minnows in this format. He should only be rested against teams like Bangladesh, Afghanistan, or Zimbabwe. Besides, India doesn’t play against Pakistan, who are currently performing below even the lower-ranked teams.

I would prefer to see Bumrah take 400+ Test wickets, becoming the first Indian to achieve this milestone in this century and only the second Indian in the history of international cricket.

Of course, if this performance also contributes to series wins against top teams, it would be the perfect icing on the cake.

Additionally, teams like Sri Lanka and the West Indies are no longer considered minnows in this format. He should only be rested against teams like Bangladesh, Afghanistan, or Zimbabwe. Besides, India doesn’t play against Pakistan, who are currently performing below even the lower-ranked teams.
His main goal should be to continue winning tough tests and series for India by bowling match/series changing spells.

There is a daylight between Marshall and Anderson despite Anderson having 250-300 more test wickets. Given his skillsets, his goal should be Marshall and not Anderson. Now if he can have 400 plus wickets with similar effectiveness then all power to him.

His main goal should be to continue winning tough tests and series for India by bowling match/series changing spells.

There is a daylight between Marshall and Anderson despite Anderson having 250-300 more test wickets. Given his skillsets, his goal should be Marshall and not Anderson. Now if he can have 400 plus wickets with similar effectiveness then all power to him.
60 tests that's more than enough. Lots of greats are in 60 to 70 range.

Back