ICC World Cup 2023: India (229/9) remain unbeaten as they win against England (129) by 100 runs

India doesn't need it. But they need to do it. To show they can do it too. That way it can be fair in the future
That maybe so for England. But we all know they are hacks outside flat wickets. Just because England does it, it doesn't mean another host should follow suit.
India don't need a spin pitch to win anyway.

India doesn't need it. But they need to do it. To show they can do it too. That way it can be fair in the future
Not in the right spirit my dude. I mean I have no problems with hosts doing such things but I prefer If the pitches were fair. Today was a tad bit too sluggish. Hope it's not like this.

India didn't lost that match because of pitch it was because more of rain and inexperienced middle order
Overcast conditions on a greenish wicket. I watched the highlights way too many times. There was even a surprise that the grass wasn't cut. Anyway, no complaints. Fair game and India failed. Let's see how they play spin on slow wickets.

Not in the right spirit my dude. I mean I have no problems with hosts doing such things but I prefer If the pitches were fair. Today was a tad bit too sluggish. Hope it's not like this.
It's all in the spirit of the game. Every team is already playing enough games on pattas making 350+ without breaking a sweat. They will also be tested on other type of subcontinent pitches

yup People forget we are using two new balls. There is no chance for reverse at all most of the times.You need better skills to get batsman out.
Wasim
Bumrah this may change If he wins WC and say a champions trophy
Imran khan
Shami
Waqar
Zaheer Khan
Shoaib akthar
Vaas srinath etc all around similar level.

It's all in the spirit of the game. Every team is already playing enough games on pattas making 350+ without breaking a sweat. They will also be tested on other type of subcontinent pitches
If that's the case then both semis need to beplayed on such pitches. Can't manipulate pitches the state of pitches for india games alone.

Besides you don't even need to do it.

Look at great Australian champion teams in 2003 etc. 2011 pitches were great. 260-290 pitches are the best.

🇮🇳🇮🇳

1. Chased tricky target when early wickets fell (vs Australia) ✅
2. Chased small target (vs Pakistan) ✅
3. Chased modest target (vs Bangladesh) ✅
4. Chased difficult targets (Vs Newzealand and Afghanistan) ✅✅

5. Win by setting target (today's match)
6. Chase a huge target (330+)
7. Defend a small target
No.5 and 7 completed in the same match 🔥 🔥 🔥 🔥 🇮🇳🇮🇳🇮🇳🇮🇳

England can be forgiven for today's loss. But not against Srilanka. That was a terrible loss. Getting bowled out under 200 against them.

Management needs to drop Iyer and Siraj for the rest of the tournament.
Shami and Suryakumar have done enough to book their place

England has to stop bringing back these oldies out of the wilderness hoping to do magic against in completely alien conditions. They should have picked sides that are more suitable in Indian conditions.

Buttler: 'Same old story' for England
England captain Jos Buttler, speaking to Michael Atherton:

"Yeah very disappointed. I think at the halfway stage, chasing 230 and when you see how we it had got, we fancied ourselves. But it's the same old story.

"Just a gut feel said we wanted to chase and that was as good as we've been with the ball throughout the tournament.

"I thought we created good pressure, we bowled well and took wickets, so if you would have said at halfway we were chasing 230 then we would have been happy with that.

"Very disappointed."

England has to stop bringing back these oldies out of the wilderness hoping to do magic against in completely alien conditions. They should have picked sides that are more suitable in Indian conditions.

Who are referring to? Stokes and Root?

Buttler: 'Same old story' for England
England captain Jos Buttler, speaking to Michael Atherton:

"Yeah very disappointed. I think at the halfway stage, chasing 230 and when you see how we it had got, we fancied ourselves. But it's the same old story.

"Just a gut feel said we wanted to chase and that was as good as we've been with the ball throughout the tournament.

"I thought we created good pressure, we bowled well and took wickets, so if you would have said at halfway we were chasing 230 then we would have been happy with that.

"Very disappointed."
They did bowl well to be fair. It's just that they got out bowled by a better team despite then bowling in heavy dew.

I totally agree. I would say shami honestly >> Waqar and shoaib.
Wasim was a genius. Like Shane Warne.

If he wasn’t corrupt there would be no debate over who the GOAT fast bowler is. I’m certain he deliberately underperformed in more than half of matches he played.

If he had given his 100% like he would have had the most wickets in all formats by a mile.

The most skillful and talented bowler ever. Blessed with pace, swing, height, control and a bowling brain.

India’s bowlers blitzed out England in a brilliant display under the Lucknow lights to win by 100 runs and continue the host nation’s perfect record at the ICC Men’s Cricket World Cup 2023.

In a game that was dominated by the ball, England restricted India to 229/9 in their 50 overs to leave the match in the balance at the midway point.

But an out-of-form England batting line-up disintegrated under the pressure built by India’s inspired pace attack, as Mohammad Shami took 4/22 and Jasprit Bumrah bagged 3/32 to wrap up a convincing victory.

In hindsight, Rohit Sharma’s excellent 87 was the key performance with the bat on the day, holding India’s innings together as wickets fell around him, with the captain going close to a century before being expertly caught in the deep by Liam Livingstone off Adil Rashid.

And KL Rahul (39), Suryakumar Yadav (49) and Jasprit Bumrah (16) ensured the tournament hosts got to a total that gave the bowlers something to work with.

The defending champions had a target of 230 to aim for and had the bonus of dew on the outfield to limit the impact of India’s spinners.

But after the first wicket fell it was a collapse for Jos Buttler’s side, with England losing all ten wickets for just 99 runs in a dispiriting display that leaves them rooted to the bottom of the standings.

India’s sixth consecutive win sends them top of the table, two points clear of South Africa in second.

Match 29: India beat England by 100 runs

After being sent into bat, an unchanged India took off at the back of Rohit Sharma's aggressive charge. He hit two sixes and a four as India took 18 off David Willey's second over.

However, England struck back quickly enough, with Chris Woakes getting one to nip back in and beating Shubman Gill's defences in the fourth over.

One brought two, as Virat Kohli went for a big shot early in his innings, couldn't time the ball, and ended up giving a catch to Ben Stokes at mid-off.

Both Woakes and Willey got the best out of the new ball, getting it to jag around and beating the bat on several occasions. The scoring opportunities reduced for the India batters, and England yielded another wicket after building up enough pressure.

A number of fuller deliveries from Chris Woakes troubled Shreyas Iyer (4), and the batter sought a release when he saw one pitched slightly shorter. However, all the Mumbai batter could find was the mid-on fielder.

KL Rahul arrived at the wicket and helped stabilise the innings along with Rohit. After seeing through a tough phase, the duo picked pace between the overs 21-30 and added 58 runs for India.

Rohit, in particular, took charge after reaching his half-century. He hit four fours and a six in his next 20 balls.

Just when India looked like they might take the game away from England, Willey returned to strike for England. Rahul tried to go down the track to a length delivery but could only get it to Bairstow at mid-on.

The arrival of Suryakumar Yadav kept the run-flow intact as the batter unleashed a set of beautiful sweeps and pulls. However, England kept coming back with breakthroughs at the right moment. Rohit fell while going for an expansive stroke against Adil Rashid in the 37th over.

And England kept the pressure up through Rashid and Moeen Ali through the middle overs, before Willey and Wood returned to do damage in the tail.

England’s reply started brightly, with Dawid Malan looking fluent.

But a brilliant Jasprit Bumrah double strike stopped England in their tracks, with Joe Root (0) following Malan (16) back to the dugout.

And India had England's top order rocking when a rusty-looking Ben Stokes had his stumps rearranged by Mohammed Shami for a ten-ball duck, with Jonny Bairstow removed by Shami shortly after to leave India well on top.

Kuldeep Yadav removed Jos Buttler for ten from 23 balls to really turn the screw, leaving England still a long way from their target and without any of their top five left.

England’s spin-bowling all-rounders dug in to try and rebuild and did a reasonable job for a while, knocking the ball around and surviving for eight overs as the game settled down.

But Moeen Ali’s patient 15 from 31 balls was undone by the return of Shami, who produced a peach with the first ball of his new spell, angling one in that then nipped away from the left hander to find the edge.

And England’s spirit was completely broken from that point on. Chris Woakes charged down the wicket to be stumped off Ravindra Jadeja and Liam Livingstone missed a hoik into the leg side and was trapped lbw off Kuldeep to end his gutsy but scratchy 27 – the top score in England’s reply.

The two stars of India’s bowling attack finished the job in style, with Shami cleaning up Rashid and a trademark Bumrah yorker accounting for Mark Wood to seal the win.

Source: ICC

If he wasn’t corrupt there would be no debate over who the GOAT fast bowler is. I’m certain he deliberately underperformed in more than half of matches he played.

If he had given his 100% like he would have had the most wickets in all formats by a mile.

The most skillful and talented bowler ever. Blessed with pace, swing, height, control and a bowling brain.
Absolutely. Wasim is goat to me and always will be. On par with mcgrath.

If that's the case then both semis need to beplayed on such pitches. Can't manipulate pitches the state of pitches for india games alone.

Besides you don't even need to do it.

Look at great Australian champion teams in 2003 etc. 2011 pitches were great. 260-290 pitches are the best.
You can score 250 on this pitch today. It will be a good contest for batters and bowlers both. Those are the thrilling games where the batsmen have to work hard to score runs, seamers get wickets, spinners get wickets too.

Most matches lost by a defending champion in a World Cup
4 Australia in 1992
4* England in 2023

England totals last three ODIs
170 vs SA (22 overs)
156 vs SL (25.4 overs)
129 vs Ind (34.5 overs)
They were never bowled out for under 200 in successive World Cup matches previously.

Six bowled dismissals in England's innings
- the joint second most in a World Cup game behind East Africa's seven against England in 1975

Most matches lost by a defending champion in a World Cup
4 Australia in 1992
4* England in 2023

England totals last three ODIs
170 vs SA (22 overs)
156 vs SL (25.4 overs)
129 vs Ind (34.5 overs)
They were never bowled out for under 200 in successive World Cup matches previously.

Six bowled dismissals in England's innings
- the joint second most in a World Cup game behind East Africa's seven against England in 1975
England have lost 5

If India's SF is in Mumbai, they will start handicapped. They dont chase anything in the vicinity of 300 these days or cannot defend anything less than 350 in dew. SA or Aus will start as favourites. Bumrah and Shami have a history of getting obliterated at Wankhede in internationals. Less said about the spinners, the better.

If India's SF is in Mumbai, they will start handicapped. They dont chase anything in the vicinity of 300 these days or cannot defend anything less than 350 in dew. SA or Aus will start as favourites. Bumrah and Shami have a history of getting obliterated at Wankhede in internationals. Less said about the spinners, the better.
We are going to face NZ in Semifinals at Mumbai .
IND
RSA
Australia
NZ

The red soil wankhede pitch will offer good spin and bounce. Only problem is the boundary size which is small. Even then, I believe we're facing NZ and this time we should be able to put it across them.

Horses for courses

Matthew Mott has just confirmed that he learned the qualification criteria for the Champions Trophy about 90 minutes ago
Buttler told he was aware of this.
Shambles, they are so poorly prepared this time. 2019 fluke made them too arrogant.

This bowling line up can defend 270 on a semi final. Kuldeep is unplayable just now aswell.

If India don't win this WC it'll take them years to get over it because everything looks set brilliantly.

This bowling line up can defend 270 on a semi final. Kuldeep is unplayable just now aswell.

If India don't win this WC it'll take them years to get over it because everything looks set brilliantly.
Indeed. This is india’s world Cup to lose from here on. They have the firepower the bowling and the home ground advantage (that of supporters, familiarity with the conditions is fairly universal now thanks to IPL).

Wasim
Bumrah this may change If he wins WC and say a champions trophy
Imran khan
Shami
Waqar
Zaheer Khan
Shoaib akthar
Vaas srinath etc all around similar level.
I would'nt place Zaheer above Shoaib. Skill wise, Zaheer was better, but the unreal pace of Shoaib made him a real threat. I would either put Shoaib above or at par with Zaheer.

I would'nt place Zaheer above Shoaib. Skill wise, Zaheer was better, but the unreal pace of Shoaib made him a real threat. I would either put Shoaib above or at par with Zaheer.
Zaheer won us 2011 WC. Puts him above Shoaib and he is a left hander too.

Wasim agreed should have done much better.

Another who could make the ball talk was Md. Asif.

For one that was an ATG ozzie team, for 2 it was in SA where India misread the pitch, for three the 2003 PTSD was therapied in 2011
Not yet. The shellacking in 2003 deserves a reverse shellacking in Modi stadium

For one that was an ATG ozzie team, for 2 it was in SA where India misread the pitch, for three the 2003 PTSD was therapied in 2011
India won the toss and choose to field I believe. Still the thrashing Ponting gave us was nightmares and it was the year many of my generation started watching cricket. That was trashing of a lifetime. Need to give it back to assert our dominance.

India won the toss and choose to field I believe. Still the thrashing Ponting gave us was nightmares and it was the year many of my generation started watching cricket. That was trashing of a lifetime. Need to give it back to assert our dominance.
Yupp and that was a gun Ozzie team with match winners from top to tail and before Ponting Gilli and Hayden gave a solid start.

This Ozzie team not so much, there's no one in this Ozzie team that can give this Indian team jeepers.

Ganguly misread the pitch, no danger of it happening in 2023, if its an India Oz final.

As for asserting dominance, will need to win B2B WCs to say we are s dominant team.

Sure 2003 was a phaintq, but laughable to say Indian cricket or fans are stilla carrying scars of it...

Guess what would've been the reason back then? Again that stupid reason of needing an extra half baked batsman.
To be fair Bhuvi was bowling pretty decently back then and it was english conditions. Batting lost Ind the match that day. They had MSD at 7 and Jadeja at 8, Bhuvi at 9.. Thats a very long batting line up. 20/4 upfront when Ind was chasing sealed the deal. Ind could still have won pretty easily even after that horror start but for MSD tuk tuking his way to nowhere.

that was a disastrous option by ganguly to chase. At that time chasing was always difficult no matter what team except maybe Aus and Ind was a horrible chasing team at the time. And to chase in a WC final and that too against Aus with Mcgrath, lee, warne etc was stupidity.. Still dont know why Ind oped to chase that day

Yupp and that was a gun Ozzie team with match winners from top to tail and before Ponting Gilli and Hayden gave a solid start.

This Ozzie team not so much, there's no one in this Ozzie team that can give this Indian team jeepers.

Ganguly misread the pitch, no danger of it happening in 2023, if its an India Oz final.

As for asserting dominance, will need to win B2B WCs to say we are s dominant team.

Sure 2003 was a phaintq, but laughable to say Indian cricket or fans are stilla carrying scars of it...
Yup , no scars from that defeat.. That was just an ATG Aus team - one for the ages.. Ind won the SF ko against Aus rightaway in t20 2007 WC & then again the QF ko in 2011 ODI WC..

that was a disastrous option by ganguly to chase. At that time chasing was always difficult no matter what team except maybe Aus and Ind was a horrible chasing team at the time. And to chase in a WC final and that too against Aus with Mcgrath, lee, warne etc was stupidity.. Still dont know why Ind oped to chase that day
I still think Ganguly and India got over awed by the moment and the team in front of them and made the wrong call in panic.

Was a good run though all the way till the finals...got some fond memories of that..trashing the uni bar post Eng win and walking into a Pakistani restaurant wearing India top post Pak win, though tbf the owner was sporting and desserts were on the house

Clinical Bowling performance from Bharat tonight. They have hammered England defending a small total.

Oh my my my...someone celebrated too early :klopp

@Mamoon
Brother, you didn’t see my posts. This was some time after Kohli got out I believe but a couple posts later I said Kuldeep would take 6 wickets here and bowl England out for like 70 runs 😂

Based on current forms of the two teams, SL are hot favorites.

SL beat England and BD lost to Netherlands.
BD beat Afghanistan and Afghanistan beat England and Pakistan and Pakistan beat Netherlands and Sri Lanka.

This particular Bangladesh cricket team is done, hope Lanka smashes it batting first. More humiliation to the kittens. They lack pride, proper patriotism and fight.

But having said all that just gonna say. Don’t be surprised if theres an upset.

Congratulations to India. A really good bowling performance.

I actually felt that with the ball and in the field England turned up for the first time in a while, they didn’t just fold straight away, and they played some of their better cricket this tournament, although that’s not saying much.

The problem is that the English batting unit within this peculiar squad selection seems quite unbalanced, and on a mental level they have all completely lost confidence at this point, so any sort of target at the moment for them, even a 150 or so (let alone a 230) is going to be vulnerable to batting collapses and feel really tough.

In some ways this is a more important result for India than some of the other wins, because it more stringently challenged India in terms of losing the toss & the early wickets and having to defend a sub 250 target, and yet they still made it look comfortable in the end.

India appear to be a really good team in this format and they now have a fairly decent chance of going through the whole tournament unbeaten on their way to winning the World Cup, although South Africa in certain limited scenarios could possibly beat them.

Congratulations to India. A really good bowling performance.

I actually felt that with the ball and in the field England turned up for the first time in a while, they didn’t just fold straight away, and they played some of their better cricket this tournament, although that’s not saying much.

The problem is that the English batting unit within this peculiar squad selection seems quite unbalanced, and on a mental level they have all completely lost confidence at this point, so any sort of target at the moment for them, even a 150 or so (let alone a 230) is going to be vulnerable to batting collapses and feel really tough.

In some ways this is a more important result for India than some of the other wins, because it more stringently challenged India in terms of losing the toss & the early wickets and having to defend a sub 250 target, and yet they still made it look comfortable in the end.

India appear to be a really good team in this format and they now have a fairly decent chance of going through the whole tournament unbeaten on their way to winning the World Cup, although South Africa in certain limited scenarios could possibly beat them.

Any top team can beat us. Each team has their own comfort zone. When they are pushed beyond their comfort zone they will be vulnerable. Today they were pushed for sure. They came back hard. Defended the score against a side that has 10 batsmen. There is no guarantee Australia or NZ or SA will chase this exactly like that. THey may even win it. Respecting the opposition is key.

India definitely are favorites but any of NZ, Australia or SA can knock them out. They all have explosive batsman that on their day can just take the game away. Same with bowlers.

Odi career only. Winning the WC gave him the edge but I agree I prefer to have the bowler shoaib too.

Englands batting is seriously pathetic. It’s just mind blowing how poor they’ve been. Even Afghanistan would have chased it down and Netherlands would have got close. I dare say even Pakistan could have chased that!

Everything zaheer could do, shoaib could do at a higher pace and Shoaib also had a killer slower ball.

Back