ICC World Cup 2023: India (357/8) thrash Sri Lanka (55) to win by a mammoth 302-run margin

Cricket Warrior

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
1698858431596.png

India is flying high with an unblemished record, having secured six convincing victories and comfortably occupying the top spot in the standings. They are on the verge of securing their place in the tournament's knockout stage. A seventh consecutive win would not only solidify India's presence in the crucial phase of the competition but also provide them with an opportunity to fine-tune their team and set their sights on a first-place finish.

Sri Lanka, initially considered a potential surprise package in the tournament, had reached the final of the recent Asia Cup on their home turf. However, their resounding defeat to India in that final match, where they were bowled out for a mere 50 runs while India achieved the target with all 10 wickets in hand in just 6.1 overs, is likely etched in their memory.

In the past, India has dominated their encounters, winning the previous match at the same event and all three One-Day Internationals when the two teams clashed in January of this year. Nevertheless, it's worth noting that the Sri Lankan lineup is expected to undergo some changes for this upcoming match.

Sri Lanka has been plagued by injuries both before the tournament began and during its course, with captain Dasun Shanaka, Lahiru Kumara, and Matheesha Pathirana all ruled out. Despite these challenges, the remaining squad will need to devise a strategy to pull off an unexpected victory if they wish to keep their tournament aspirations alive.

When: November 02, 2023, 2:00 PM IST

Where: Wankhede Stadium, Mumbai

Teams

India:

India is expected to maintain the same playing XI that secured a victory against England in Lucknow, unless they decide to rest Jasprit Bumrah, a decision that will ultimately be left to the fast bowler himself. With the exception of this potential change, it appears unlikely that any other alterations will be made.

Unfortunately, Hardik Pandya is still unavailable, and he is expected to regain fitness for the upcoming match against South Africa in Kolkata on November 5, or failing that, the match in Mumbai on Thursday. As a result, the possibility of R Ashwin, a third spinner, being included in the team is slim, as the inclusion of a third spinner is typically contingent on the availability of the all-rounder Pandya, which is currently not the case.

From a tactical and strategic perspective, India aims to have their out-of-form player, Shreyas Iyer, regain his batting form so that the entire team is in good touch for the more challenging matches ahead. Iyer's recent scores have been 0, 25, 53, 19, 33, and 4. Fortunately, he will be playing at a venue known for offering consistent pace and bounce, which might work in his favor.

Sri Lanka:

Sri Lanka's spin bowlers, including Maheesh Theekshana, have experienced a lackluster World Cup campaign, performing the weakest among all the teams. Collectively, they have managed to secure just five wickets with an average of 121.6, highlighting the need for them to significantly improve their performance, especially when facing a formidable team like India.

Squads:

Sri Lanka Squad: Pathum Nissanka, Dimuth Karunaratne, Kusal Mendis(w/c), Sadeera Samarawickrama, Charith Asalanka, Dhananjaya de Silva, Angelo Mathews, Dushmantha Chameera, Maheesh Theekshana, Kasun Rajitha, Dilshan Madushanka, Chamika Karunaratne, Dunith Wellalage, Dushan Hemantha, Kusal Perera

India Squad: Rohit Sharma(c), Shubman Gill, Virat Kohli, Shreyas Iyer, KL Rahul(w), Suryakumar Yadav, Ravindra Jadeja, Mohammed Shami, Jasprit Bumrah, Kuldeep Yadav, Mohammed Siraj, Ravichandran Ashwin, Shardul Thakur, Ishan Kishan

==

All posters please take note of the following guidelines for match threads on PakPassion:

1. No personal insults at other posters, players, officials, coaching staffs etc.

2. No making fun of player's, official's, coaching staff's names.

3. Do not add any references to media, their social media or post any pictures or screenshots from other sports websites.

4. Stick to commenting on this match. There is no need to bring other countries into the match discussion as there are plenty of other threads where those discussions can be added.

Kohli seems to be stuck on 48 centuries. He can’t seem to get anything more.

Can SL rise like a phoenix and take revenge of Asia Cup Humiliation, can we have a repeat of Eden Gardens 96

Last game, SL was bowled out for 50 and we won in 6 overs, Asia Cup final in Colombo. Mentally, Lankans won't recover from that for a long long time.

It appears India in all likelihood is going to play the same XI that played the last game against Eng. Personally, would prefer Ishan Kishan over Iyer (who seems a hack when someone short pitches him) at least for this game if not for the rest of the games.

Ashwin can’t get in again as the ground is too small with flat wickets means finger spinners are too risky proposition to have.

It is a dead rubber for SL. They have nothing to lose. They are a decent side. They should be kicking themselves not picking the right side from the get go. In a tournament where ENgland was an absolute no show they had a golden chance.

Does India winning or losing help Pakistan? Our first concern should be ensuring we dont let NZ qualify, that way we got our "boogeyman" team out of our way, rest Rohit can manage.

I prefer Mendis. He's the new Sanga
Naw, very different players lol. Mendis is more so trying to become like jaysuria.

^^ Edit: If any hater comes up to me and says, bro how dare you compare mendis to jaysuria, all I'll say is, you guys are mentally inept 😂😂, trying to become =/= same caliber.

Can kushal Mendis play like aravinda desilva tomorrow and repeat the 1996 Eden garden semi?

Form of Gill is very vital. This guy if he is on a roll he can be quiet devastating. Hope he finds some touch. These are not alien conditions. Just the lack of focus. India will focus on fine tuning some of the batting department. Iyer will get a chance i believe unless they want a left hander. SKY may miss out if Pandya is back.

It is a dead rubber for SL. They have nothing to lose. They are a decent side. They should be kicking themselves not picking the right side from the get go. In a tournament where ENgland was an absolute no show they had a golden chance.

They still have Champions Trophy qualification to play for.

Though I am happy India is having a dream run but I am also worrying that they may go into the knockouts without a bad day. I hope if at ll they are gonna have a bad day it should be in the league stages. But then this Indian team has the best balnace between batting and bowling. So maybe they can replicate what the aussies did in 2003 and 2007.

IND should bat first and post 380+, time to check your power hitting.
Yup, even I feel the same. They couldn't do it in Kolkata as it was a difficult pitch. the mumbai track will suit the style of Gill and Kohli who like the ball coming on to the bat. Its important that Gill has a big knock in the next 3 games before the knockouts.

Yup, even I feel the same. They couldn't do it in Kolkata as it was a difficult pitch. the mumbai track will suit the style of Gill and Kohli who like the ball coming on to the bat. Its important that Gill has a big knock in the next 3 games before the knockouts.
Kohli and gill are not power hitters. SKY special? 45 ball hundred? Or rohit 160 on 100 balls. Something similar to maxwell,head, klassen, miller.

Kohli and gill are not power hitters. SKY special? 45 ball hundred? Or rohit 160 on 100 balls. Something similar to maxwell,head, klassen, miller.
Kohli and Gill start slow but they have the gears to switch to power hitting. Just look at the 200 innings of Gill. In the back end he hit 6s at will. If India are just 2 or 3 wickets down by 35th over then SKY may get a promotion over Shreyas or KL.

Kohli and Gill start slow but they have the gears to switch to power hitting. Just look at the 200 innings of Gill. In the back end he hit 6s at will. If India are just 2 or 3 wickets down by 35th over then SKY may get a promotion over Shreyas or KL.
Do this IND 11 have anyone who can hit 40-45 balls hundred in down order? I doubt it really after pandya injury. Pandya is the guy IND will miss in semi's or final (if they reached).

Do this IND 11 have anyone who can hit 40-45 balls hundred in down order? I doubt it really after pandya injury. Pandya is the guy IND will miss in semi's or final (if they reached).
I look at at things a little differently. In the past 1 year India have consistently scored over 370.

409/8 vs Bangladesh Dec 2022
399/5 vs AUS in Sept 2023
390/5 vs SL in Jan 2023
385/9 vs NZ in Jan 2023
373/7 vs SL in Jan 2023

Except for the innings vs AUS where scored scored a quickfore 70 the bulk of the scoring has been done by top 3. In fact in 2 innings we has double centuries and a 160 not out by Kohli. Although SA and AUS batsmen have scored 40-50 ball 100s their team score has still been between 370-400 usually. India as scored the same without those 40 ball 100s as the scoring is usually done by top 3. More often than not its done riskfree. Maxi scored a 40 ball 100 but the team score was still less than 400. So it evens out things.

I wonder if India will lose one game to be second to avoid Aus in the semis. Thoughts?
After today's result AUS will be either 2nd or 3rd. NZ having lost 3 matches will be 4th or Pakistan if they win next 2 matches. So if IND loses 1 match they will most probably end up playing AUS. If they are unbeaten they may play NZ or Pak

Kishan is a solid bet at Wankhede. He is uber familiar with that ground

After today's result AUS will be either 2nd or 3rd. NZ having lost 3 matches will be 4th or Pakistan if they win next 2 matches. So if IND loses 1 match they will most probably end up playing AUS. If they are unbeaten they may play NZ or Pak
Man too many permutations, if Afg somehow beats Aus, Aus may be 4th. Not likely but in the realm of possibilities and then who knows England decide to play their best game against Aus, anyways too many ifs and buts.

On a good day Kishan can do or SKY can do. Kishan has played osme blinders. But problem is he is not always that belligerent. Recently he made the fastest double century in the ODIs. There was this last match against SA where India chasing 282 against SA reached in 45 overs. Kishan went nuts against Nortje smashing him for 3 sixes and also Maharaja for 3 sixes total of 7 sixes. If Kishan gets his timing right on a given day he will not spare any bowler. Here is one game against Bumrah,Avesh, Mavi, Thakur, Harbhajan

I look at at things a little differently. In the past 1 year India have consistently scored over 370.

409/8 vs Bangladesh Dec 2022
399/5 vs AUS in Sept 2023
390/5 vs SL in Jan 2023
385/9 vs NZ in Jan 2023
373/7 vs SL in Jan 2023

Except for the innings vs AUS where scored scored a quickfore 70 the bulk of the scoring has been done by top 3. In fact in 2 innings we has double centuries and a 160 not out by Kohli. Although SA and AUS batsmen have scored 40-50 ball 100s their team score has still been between 370-400 usually. India as scored the same without those 40 ball 100s as the scoring is usually done by top 3. More often than not its done riskfree. Maxi scored a 40 ball 100 but the team score was still less than 400. So it evens out things.
The thing is these are bilaterals. WC is a different beast with its own pressure. And just not possible in a KO game due to the insane pressure - if it does it means one team has an absolute blowout like Ind had in 2003 WC final.. Ind should bat 1st in the next few games and try to post 340+. Maybe promote Jadeja as well at #3 , rest Shami/Bumrah, try Ashwin too and as Neth will be a dead rubber get in useless trundler Thakur for that game LOL ! And be match fit come the SF.. :)

Rohit has problem against Dushmantha Chameera. We should bat first if we can win the toss . enough of chasing the score .
Give rest to bumrah and Kuldeep .

Kishan is a solid bet at Wankhede. He is uber familiar with that ground
But Shreyas is a local Mumbai lad who has played all his life at Wankhede. Though even I would vote Ishan over shreyas any day until Iyer works on his short ball weakness.

But Shreyas is a local Mumbai lad who has played all his life at Wankhede. Though even I would vote Ishan over shreyas any day until Iyer works on his short ball weakness.
Kishan being a mumbai indians investment. So more familiar. Although not great record still must be more familiar here.

Ishant should be in place of Iyer….. else India is going to loose this match by 10 wkts or by 200 runs

India will be looking to drill Sri Lanka again as they did in Asia Cup final. Loosing to Sri Lanka is not looking to be a possible outcome here for India. India will be going into the KO stage undefeated.

Rohit Sharma in a pre-game press conference:

[Reporter:]

The World Cup is going well for us. We've won a lot of games. But Hardik Pandya, some reports suggest that he has left NCA. So, what is the update? Is he close to match fitness? Till when will he join the team? When will he play the next match?

[Rohit Sharma:]

No, see, his procedure after the injury is very positive. Whatever procedure he had to undergo after the injury, and the NCA, there were a lot of positive things. Right now, he is not available for tomorrow's match. But it is an injury that we have to see every day how much percent he has improved, how much recovery has been made, how much bowling has been done, how much batting has been done. So, on a day-to-day basis, we would like to take a call. Because we are watching for the World Cup, so obviously, the matches are taking place every 3 - 4 days. We are watching the situation daily. So, it's possible, as he is progressing, it's possible, hopefully, we'll get a chance to see him as soon as possible.​

Sri Lanka won the toss and chose to field first.

TEAMS:

India
(Playing XI): Rohit Sharma(c), Shubman Gill, Virat Kohli, Shreyas Iyer, KL Rahul(w), Suryakumar Yadav, Ravindra Jadeja, Mohammed Shami, Jasprit Bumrah, Kuldeep Yadav, Mohammed Siraj

Sri Lanka (Playing XI): Pathum Nissanka, Dimuth Karunaratne, Kusal Mendis(w/c), Sadeera Samarawickrama, Charith Asalanka, Angelo Mathews, Dushan Hemantha, Maheesh Theekshana, Kasun Rajitha, Dushmantha Chameera, Dilshan Madushanka

Today is November 2, 2023. How far Sri Lanka have fallen since playing at this ground on April 2, 2011.

I expect India to score 450 plus score and Rohit to hit his 4th double hundred in ODIs.
😍

Madhushanka is a quality seamer . The only threatening bowler in this line up . He cleaned up gurbaz similar way

What a ball by Madhushankar 🔥🔥
He along with Samarawickrama are standout performers for Sri Lanka in this world cup..
World class stuff👌😍

In form Rohit is cleaned by Madushanka. Big blow for India here. 4/1

Dilshan madushanka has been impressive this world cup

I was very impressed with him when I first saw him srilanka premier league.

Pace is bit down though.If he can add 5-7 kms more he will be deadly.

Madhushanka is a quality seamer . The only threatening bowler in this line up . He cleaned up gurbaz similar way
100%.

I have him in my 'best of the rest' Team of the Tournament. Samarawickrama also.

Virat looks in good touch. He will equal that other Indian guy's centuries record.

I would love if Virat could break that guy's record in this world cup.

These players are finds of the tournament

Rachin Ravindra
Shafique Abdul
Samarawickrama
Madhushankar
Gerald Coetzee
Aryan Dutt

Bit in the pitch for the quicks here. Good to see.

Suspect it will reward strokeplay aswell - looks like it's coming on nicely.

Gill opening up here. Couple great shots.

Encouragement for SL's bowlers though.

Now chameera has dropped Virat.
Very poor from srilanka. Both the batsmen have gotten the chance now. They should make srilanka pay now

Back