"If you want to play for Pakistan, you need to show more commitment, but I didn't see that commitment in Azam Khan": Mohammad Hafeez

FearlessRoar

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
Mohammad Hafeez, during a program on a local sports channel, discussed Azam Khan's lack of commitment to meeting international standards during his tenure as director of the Pakistan team:

"Azam Khan, if you want to play cricket for Pakistan, you need to do two things. First, you have to try your best to get physically fit, which is the requirement at the international level. Second, whenever you get an opportunity, you have to perform. I also want you to work hard on your wicket-keeping abilities because with your current fitness, you can't do fielding. I connected Azam Khan with the incumbent Pakistan trainer and shared all the plans with him. rRgardless of his body weight and body fat level, i told him that I don't care about that; all I care about is that you need to bring your fat level down and improve your running abilities. You need to increase your running abilities so that the team's balance doesn't get affected during the game."

"After allotting him a 6-week program, when Azam Khan appeared, he was still at the same body weight and body fat level as he was 6 weeks prior. His running ability was also twice as low as the rest of the team. If the rest of the team could cover 2 kilometers in 10 minutes, Azam Khan could only do it in 20 minutes. So, I went to talk to him and asked him why he didn't follow the plan and role given to him. He didn't have any answer, saying he tried his best but couldn't. This is unprofessionalism."

"Then, Azam Khan got another chance and played three matches. I found that this guy is not ready to play international cricket. I told him again that if you want to play for Pakistan, you need to show more commitment. But I didn't see that commitment in him. After three matches, I rested him and informed the selectors about my findings regarding him. Now, it's up to them to decide whether to play him in the future or not."​

Last edited by a moderator:
Wahab Riaz is responsible for having this fat turd imposed on our team. Anyone with half a brain can see Azam is not good enough to play international cricket. We have been saying this since January 2024, yet here we are.

Some eye opening comments here:

1) 'If the rest of the team could cover 2 kilometres in 10 minutes', that's bang poor. Most mediocre athletes clock 2km in 8 minutes and under. That is not a good sign. It's quite obvious watching this tournament that Pakistan is the least fit side in the cricketing world currently, associate teams look far more athletic.

2) 'Azam Khan could only do it in 20 minutes', that is TERRIBLE! Beginners do it in 11-12 minutes. 20 minutes is no just being unfit, it's more of a health issue. Anyone saw yesterdays game must've noticed the Indian keeper do a 25m dash to grab a ball.... well Azam isn't catching that ball, simple as.

3) 'Regardless of his body weight and body fat level, i told him that I don't care about that; all I care about is that you need to bring your fat level down and improve your running abilities.' Why don't you care? Why does he get to be fat and unfit, yet represent the country? Why does he get to bypass the domestic cricketing process and get picked? Why does he get to stay in the squad despite the non-performance?

Wicket keeper of the PSL award winner Azam Khan :)

GP8x04GbsAAsMoL

Regardless of his body weight and body fat level, i told him that I don't care about that; all I care about is that you need to bring your fat level down
Hain? He doesn’t care about his fat level but he wants him to bring his fat level down?

Someone should ask how serious Hafeez was about International cricket coaching when he picked an opener (Sahibzada Farhan) and batted him at number 7….whilst opening with Haseebullah in the same game.

All of these awful ex-coaches want to sound like experts now.

Someone should ask how serious Hafeez was about International cricket coaching when he picked an opener (Sahibzada Farhan) and batted him at number 7….whilst opening with Haseebullah in the same game.

Professor is literally like one of those annoying Desi uncles/fathers who thinks he knows it all and wants unquestionable authority because of said delusion.

Highly unprofessional.

GP8x04GbsAAsMoL
Fans were doing bhangra over this before the New Zealand series. They shift so quick. Wait till the next PSL starts. The cycle will repeat itself. Fans will call for the top performers to be inducted in and when they will fail to live up to their expectations. They will blame the league.

Exactly , this idiot is the one who roped in Azam khan in the first place. If he is worried about his fitness and has a plan then handover the plan let him show commitment and then u select. Hafeez and Misbah in front of the mic are crowd pleasers and pullers saying the damn thing cut and right but when gets the job on hands they do the opposite of what they said

Azam Khan is enrolled in the one of the top posh gyms in Seaview which is frequented by the Pakistani Showbiz celebrities, he is even paying top dollar for personal fitness training to the same personal trainer who has a massive success rate with different celebrities. I am pretty sure that trainer is not at fault, it is purely Azam Khan who cannot control his taste buds and doesn't really feel the need to represent Pakistan when so many different T-20 leagues are signing him up.

Gary Kirsten has mentioned the same thing Hafeez is saying.

Wahab said Nassem bowls well but is not a match winner. I rest my case. Someone tell Wahab that cricket is a team game and Pakistan lost on best days of his career. His spell in Mohali and vs Watson, both matches Pak lost.

Some eye opening comments here:

1) 'If the rest of the team could cover 2 kilometres in 10 minutes', that's bang poor. Most mediocre athletes clock 2km in 8 minutes and under. That is not a good sign. It's quite obvious watching this tournament that Pakistan is the least fit side in the cricketing world currently, associate teams look far more athletic.

2) 'Azam Khan could only do it in 20 minutes', that is TERRIBLE! Beginners do it in 11-12 minutes. 20 minutes is no just being unfit, it's more of a health issue. Anyone saw yesterdays game must've noticed the Indian keeper do a 25m dash to grab a ball.... well Azam isn't catching that ball, simple as.

3) 'Regardless of his body weight and body fat level, i told him that I don't care about that; all I care about is that you need to bring your fat level down and improve your running abilities.' Why don't you care? Why does he get to be fat and unfit, yet represent the country? Why does he get to bypass the domestic cricketing process and get picked? Why does he get to stay in the squad despite the non-performance?
He said "If", so he is speaking hypothetically. Both 10 mins and 20 mins are examples to get the point across. Neither of the figures 10 mins for the team and 20 for Azam are factual.

Fans were doing bhangra over this before the New Zealand series. They shift so quick. Wait till the next PSL starts. The cycle will repeat itself. Fans will call for the top performers to be inducted in and when they will fail to live up to their expectations. They will blame the league.
It is unfortunate, how PSL has become the stepping stone into the Pakistan international team. We are completely ignoring First class and rest of the domestic.

I saw a video of Azam Khan in a food court somewhere in NYC showing down on a cheeseburger while standing in line for what appeared to be more food. I really think he has an eating disorder/addiction and needs professional help.

Wahab Riaz is responsible for having this fat turd imposed on our team. Anyone with half a brain can see Azam is not good enough to play international cricket. We have been saying this since January 2024, yet here we are.
Not just Wahab, Azam is fat but he has an even fatter parchi being the son of Moin Khan (who happens to be a die hard friend of Wasim Akram etc)

I saw a video of Azam Khan in a food court somewhere in NYC showing down on a cheeseburger while standing in line for what appeared to be more food. I really think he has an eating disorder/addiction and needs professional help.
Really? Can you link the video.

It could be that. Given the lack of visible improvement in his fitness for past couple years. In fact quite contrary.

No one in charge has been unable to veto ignore selecting Azam Khan for international t20s.
Wahab is the biggest fanboy of him it appears from his interviews.

Wahab said Nassem bowls well but is not a match winner. I rest my case. Someone tell Wahab that cricket is a team game and Pakistan lost on best days of his career. His spell in Mohali and vs Watson, both matches Pak lost.

Wahab has strong personal likes dislikes. Everyone knows about Wahab's connection with Mazhar Majeed in 2010 where there was a video tape of Majeed flaunting his jacket which was alleged to contain a lot of money. I remember a selector on tv made any accusation against Wahab about the bribes his family paid to get him into the team. There is a video on twitter where Wahab as sports minister is driving quickly in the heavy rain of Lahore and had no regard for the people around him when he splashed water on motor cyclists.

He is clearly in the position where he is because of his connection to Mohsin Naqvi. He has clearly discarded the likes of Mohd Haris and Usama Mir based on his personal dis like for the two of them.

Wahab has strong personal likes dislikes. Everyone knows about Wahab's connection with Mazhar Majeed in 2010 where there was a video tape of Majeed flaunting his jacket which was alleged to contain a lot of money. I remember a selector on tv made any accusation against Wahab about the bribes his family paid to get him into the team. There is a video on twitter where Wahab as sports minister is driving quickly in the heavy rain of Lahore and had no regard for the people around him when he splashed water on motor cyclists.

He is clearly in the position where he is because of his connection to Mohsin Naqvi. He has clearly discarded the likes of Mohd Haris and Usama Mir based on his personal dis like for the two of them.
I sometimes think why Ind/Pak cricketers are so insecure and toxic? Wahab getting jealous of Naseem, Shadab screwing the career of Usama Mir etc. This is so sad and is killing the love for this sport in me day by day. I was a huge fan of cricket in my teenage years. Used to miss school and even flunked exams at times but now i don't feel attached to any cricketer anymore. They are just money merchants.

I sometimes think why Ind/Pak cricketers are so insecure and toxic? Wahab getting jealous of Naseem, Shadab screwing the career of Usama Mir etc. This is so sad and is killing the love for this sport in me day by day. I was a huge fan of cricket in my teenage years. Used to miss school and even flunked exams at times but now i don't feel attached to any cricketer anymore. They are just money merchants.
Good old days of early 2000s. Wake up 4am for school and see Akhtar annihilate NZ in NZ tests.

Took it for granted that Pakistan will remain a top team.

Now, an abysmally deluded Azam will give the finger to the PCB and play his leagues, going rogue. Such are the desperate times that the board had to persuade him to get fit so they can make a genuine case for his selection. Bent all rules and ended up taking him to the big event anyway and got screwed over hot dogs.

What is point of Hafeez giving explanations and rationale now? Azam's fitness and attitude was clear as daylight from the start.

Commitment is definitely there, but what he can do if he is a mediocre.

Its disappointing that Aamir Jamal wasn't picked but rather disinterested and out of form Shadab and Azam Khan were picked. I feel Jamaal could have been a clutch player for Pak with both bat and ball.

GP8x04GbsAAsMoL

PSL is not a serious league. The consistent manner PSL heroes get exposed on the big stage tells one all they need to know about this league. It should never be taken serious. PCB relying on this league as a measure of a player’s abilities is the biggest mistake they have made. Nothing can substitute for domestic cricket. Certainly not a Mickey Mouse league like the PSL.

Mohammad Hafeez, during a program on a local sports channel, discussed Azam Khan's lack of commitment to meeting international standards during his tenure as director of the Pakistan team:

"Azam Khan, if you want to play cricket for Pakistan, you need to do two things. First, you have to try your best to get physically fit, which is the requirement at the international level. Second, whenever you get an opportunity, you have to perform. I also want you to work hard on your wicket-keeping abilities because with your current fitness, you can't do fielding. I connected Azam Khan with the incumbent Pakistan trainer and shared all the plans with him. rRgardless of his body weight and body fat level, i told him that I don't care about that; all I care about is that you need to bring your fat level down and improve your running abilities. You need to increase your running abilities so that the team's balance doesn't get affected during the game."

"After allotting him a 6-week program, when Azam Khan appeared, he was still at the same body weight and body fat level as he was 6 weeks prior. His running ability was also twice as low as the rest of the team. If the rest of the team could cover 2 kilometers in 10 minutes, Azam Khan could only do it in 20 minutes. So, I went to talk to him and asked him why he didn't follow the plan and role given to him. He didn't have any answer, saying he tried his best but couldn't. This is unprofessionalism."

"Then, Azam Khan got another chance and played three matches. I found that this guy is not ready to play international cricket. I told him again that if you want to play for Pakistan, you need to show more commitment. But I didn't see that commitment in him. After three matches, I rested him and informed the selectors about my findings regarding him. Now, it's up to them to decide whether to play him in the future or not."​
Azam is not even playing. Why is everyone concentrating on him?

Azam has a lot to prove and improve on - we all know that, it’s not rocket science.

But to continually just talk about him, people are making everything else is just fine and dandy.

Easy target.

Azam is not even playing. Why is everyone concentrating on him?

Azam has a lot to prove and improve on - we all know that, it’s not rocket science.

But to continually just talk about him, people are making everything else is just fine and dandy.

Easy target.
Hafeez deserves to be the director of cricket. He's the most changed player in the last decade.

He went from being a selfish narassicitic ego head always wanting opening and not caring for others to just thinking the best for his nation and even stepping down to no 4 and even no 5 to accommodate the future.

Maybe it was the sarfraz effect or something happened who knows. But he is smart he knows not to talk about the others right now but he will soon.

As for azam, Hafeez has a point. Azam was appointed fitness trainers and facilities and after weeks nothing changed, instead he got bigger.

Here are the excuses that azam khan had made so far

- I think I'm a very Atheletic keeper.
- I got dropped by my psl league and people called me parchi but when my father moin Khan saw me training and getting fit(LOL) he allowed me play again.
- I just couldn't do what hafeez told me to do.

Fat shaming is wrong, I 100% agree but this is different, He is a sportsman, not a white-collar worker who sits behind a desk and does paper work. If he had this issue, he should not be representing his country.

Why doesn't his father assign a fitness coach for his son and help him lose at least 25 kgs? I'm sure his father can afford it. Because without losing that much weight, he has no cricketing career to begin with.

Why doesn't his father assign a fitness coach for his son and help him lose at least 25 kgs? I'm sure his father can afford it. Because without losing that much weight, he has no cricketing career to begin with.
They did, didn't work.

Fitness coach can't really help you avoid overeating.

And it's impossible for azam to do heavy workouts.

The people who eating burgers and pizza's every day but are super thin and muscular are those that have worked their butts off with diet and exercise for years, and their body is capable of doing extremely heavy workouts that can shave off 500-800 cals a day for them.

Azam Khan will have to go on a diet plain and simple no matter what exercise he does as he cannot do heavy lifting or cardio or hit to an insane degree. So no fitness coach can help.

They can't monitor him 24/7, however one point you do have is that now that he's with the team, it's a shame they can't monitor him since he's with the dugout. But regardless he will be dropped and nothing will change for him

They did, didn't work.

Fitness coach can't really help you avoid overeating.

And it's impossible for azam to do heavy workouts.

The people who eating burgers and pizza's every day but are super thin and muscular are those that have worked their butts off with diet and exercise for years, and their body is capable of doing extremely heavy workouts that can shave off 500-800 cals a day for them.

Azam Khan will have to go on a diet plain and simple no matter what exercise he does as he cannot do heavy lifting or cardio or hit to an insane degree. So no fitness coach can help.

They can't monitor him 24/7, however one point you do have is that now that he's with the team, it's a shame they can't monitor him since he's with the dugout. But regardless he will be dropped and nothing will change for him
Well if he himself doesn't have the desire to lose weight then nobody can help him. He can lose wight simply by following a low carb diet. He doesn't have to sweat it in the gym. But if he has no desire to do that then he better look for a career in some other line of work. If a super heavyweight like Adnan Sami can lose more than 150 kgs then there is no reason any other person can't lose even 20-25 kgs.

Another thing, let's forget cricket for a while, does he even realize the consequences of this after he crosses 40 years of age? Yes, your guess is as good as mine.​

Well if he himself doesn't have the desire to lose weight then nobody can help him. He can lose wight simply by following a low carb diet. He doesn't have to sweat it in the gym. But if he has no desire to do that then he better look for a career in some other line of work. If a super heavyweight like Adnan Sami can lose more than 150 kgs then there is no reason any other person can't lose even 20-25 kgs.

Another thing, let's forget cricket for a while, does he even realize the consequences of this after he crosses 40 years of age? Yes, your guess is as good as mine.​
Azam Khan with his current weight is max making it to 58-63. That's usually the lifespan fir these types of overweight people. Could be earlier as increased risk of Heart attack due to insane build up of cholesterol.

70-80 is a noshot for him. Unless he doesn't something

Azam's non-serious attitude is the reason he is not willing to lose any weight. He thinks he is hitting sixes because of his weight and has no confidence in his skills.

These kinds of non-serious individuals will never accept their mistakes and will keep on doing what they should not be doing.

I hope he gets kicked out of the team so he can finally come down to earth.

Hafeez deserves to be the director of cricket. He's the most changed player in the last decade.

He went from being a selfish narassicitic ego head always wanting opening and not caring for others to just thinking the best for his nation and even stepping down to no 4 and even no 5 to accommodate the future.

Maybe it was the sarfraz effect or something happened who knows. But he is smart he knows not to talk about the others right now but he will soon.

As for azam, Hafeez has a point. Azam was appointed fitness trainers and facilities and after weeks nothing changed, instead he got bigger.

Here are the excuses that azam khan had made so far

- I think I'm a very Atheletic keeper.
- I got dropped by my psl league and people called me parchi but when my father moin Khan saw me training and getting fit(LOL) he allowed me play again.
- I just couldn't do what hafeez told me to do.

Fat shaming is wrong, I 100% agree but this is different, He is a sportsman, not a white-collar worker who sits behind a desk and does paper work. If he had this issue, he should not be representing his country.
Fair enough - my point is not fat shaming. You can fat shame him all you want as a professional sportsman. My point really is that Azam is still getting the headlines when really it’s a side issue.

There’s a whole host of other problems in the team and they get overlooked by the visibility of Azam.

Fair enough - my point is not fat shaming. You can fat shame him all you want as a professional sportsman. My point really is that Azam is still getting the headlines when really it’s a side issue.

There’s a whole host of other problems in the team and they get overlooked by the visibility of Azam.
Azam Khan is kept in the team to be "Bali ka Bakra". Deflect all the criticism and hate on him if Pak loses and Babar Azam to get all the credit and bask in glory if Pak wins.

He needs serious counselling more than a fitness coach. The kid has a serious eating disorder. Whenever facing any sort of emotional struggles, they find relief in eating more. Food is the drug here.

Another problem is that the entire setup, management, selectors.... the whole PCB system is filled with ignorant clowns and not a whole lot of intelligence. They're too thick to see what's really happening.

He is like the Kungfu panda movie. When depressed eat more.

Speaking on a local news channel, Ahmed Shehzad emphasized that while criticizing someone's performance is acceptable, body shaming should be avoided:

"It’s your right to rebuke (over performance) but do not body shame him."

Its disappointing that Aamir Jamal wasn't picked but rather disinterested and out of form Shadab and Azam Khan were picked. I feel Jamaal could have been a clutch player for Pak with both bat and ball.
Exactly . Nobody is talking about Amer Jamal . Its surprising really.

Blessing in disguise that he's been kept away from this shambolic lot. Better for him to come into a revamped squad - if that is the direction PCT ends up going.
He is still not in the radar of the selectors. Pakistan cricket has been suffering from a horrible nepotism disease.It is not going unless an autocrate comes and kicks all these shameless people in pcb out.

He is still not in the radar of the selectors. Pakistan cricket has been suffering from a horrible nepotism disease.It is not going unless an autocrate comes and kicks all these shameless people in pcb out.
Agree with the nepotism but he was selected for the Test squad and made waves in Australia so it's not like he's unheard of. If the "mass firings" that are being claimed end up actually materialising, who knows? He may find his way into the squad.

Agree with the nepotism but he was selected for the Test squad and made waves in Australia so it's not like he's unheard of. If the "mass firings" that are being claimed end up actually materialising, who knows? He may find his way into the squad.
He should have been tested in shorter versions just after the Australian series. But wasn't. Thats unacceptable in Pakistan context as Pakistan were trying trans pseudo Shadab and Uncle Iftikhar as all rounder for long time!

He should have been tested in shorter versions just after the Australian series. But wasn't. Thats unacceptable in Pakistan context as Pakistan were trying trans pseudo Shadab and Uncle Iftikhar as all rounder for long time!

True, but I feel if he did that he would've become another one of those PSL junkies. I think it's excellent he got time away from the national team (albeit due to dodgy selection as you said) to go and play some County cricket and give himself some exposure. Would also love to see him play Sheffield Shield in the future given that he played club cricket in Victoria IIRC.

Can turn into a genuine red ball all-rounder and maybe even a key player in the ODI setup. I feel that so far, he has gotten lucky to not be roped into the circus culture of T20 and PSL which has ruined many a talented Pakistani in the previous decade.

Also, his performance in a Test tour doesn't necessary correlate or indicate he will do well in a T20I tournament. I'm not trying to justify the selections of Shadab, Iftikhar, etc. but we need to get away from this Pakistani mentality of watching highlight reels or looking at scorecards and selecting players for random formats or positions that they don't actually fit into.

Back