"Imran Khan included, I've never seen anybody train harder than Misbah-ul-Haq" : Wasim Bari

Abdullah719

T20I Captain
Runs
"Imran Khan included, I've never seen anybody train harder than Misbah-ul-Haq" : Wasim Bari

Wasim Bari, a former captain of Pakistan and his country's finest 'keeper, recently spoke to The Telegraph in Dubai. Bari, now 68, is the Pakistan manager and is currently in New Zealand in that capacity.

Excerpts...

Recent 'keepers' reunion in London, organised by the high-profile Lord's Taverners...

It was to raise funds for worthy causes and I believe £150,000 was collected, which is a handsome amount... It was great catching up with the ebullient Farokh Engineer... Alan Knott, Deryck Murray, Rodney Marsh, Jeff Dujon, Ian Healy... All were there, as were others, which made it such a terrific reunion... Adam Gilchrist had also been invited, but he sent a nice message as he could not be present in person.

Pakistan 'keeper Sarfraz Ahmed...

Sarfraz is not only very good behind the stumps, but is a very fine batsman. Of course, every cricketer can improve and Sarfraz does have the urge to get better. Good for Pakistan.

Wriddhiman Saha, India's Test 'keeper...

Saha's definitely skilful and is a fine batsman as well. However, he's been a regular in Test cricket for less than two years and, so, it wouldn't be fair to judge him with either Mahendra Singh Dhoni or Syed Kirmani... Dhoni's still playing ODIs and T20Is and has been top-class. So was Kirmani.

Way to judge 'keepers...

It has to be over a period of time, when consistency can be judged. For a 'keeper to be called really good, he's got to keep in all conditions and against different bowlers... New-ball bowlers with variety, wrist spinners, finger spinners... Everybody.

Thoughts on Dhoni's future...

Look, I've always been a Dhoni supporter, for he's been exceptional. He's still 'keeping well, gets runs and runs like a 20-year-old not like the 35-year-old that he is... Personally, I've never favoured anybody's omission only because of age. Dhoni's rare and deserves to play as long as he performs. I feel Dhoni acted wisely in retiring from Test cricket at the end of 2014, a decision which allowed him to focus on the two shorter formats. Once you approach the mid-30s, it gets tougher on the body and Dhoni was then playing in all three formats... Actually, he's been at his best in ODIs and in T20Is.

Pakistan's Test captain Misbah-ul Haq...

Till recently, I'd rate Imran Khan, Mr (Abdul Hafeez) Kardar and Mushtaq Mohammed as Pakistan's greatest captains... Now, I've added Misbah to that list. Imran would still be at the top, but he had some great players and was so charismatic... Misbah, whom I'd place at No.2, is very different. He doesn't have big names, doesn't have too much experience in his team, yet gets the best out of his men. He's been quite remarkable, going about his job so very quietly, yet with such high efficiency. At 42, Misbah's still the fittest and is the last to pack up after training. That's setting some example... Imran included, I've never seen anybody train harder than Misbah. The ability to work hard is a special talent. Imran had it, Misbah has gone one better. I've read that David Beckham would train the hardest under Sir Alex Ferguson. Training-wise, Misbah's the Beckham of cricket... That Mickey Arthur has come on board as coach has helped Misbah.

Views on Virat Kohli, India's Test captain...

Virat has his own style of leadership, very different from immediate predecessors Dhoni and Anil Kumble... He's brought in a certain freshness and certainly competitiveness. As a batsman, Virat's mindset is to get things moving. Clearly, he backs his natural abilities.

Future of five-day Tests...

Attendance has come down in many countries, which is cause for worry. The marquee series will still be very attractive, will pull in the crowds, but... I'm sure innovations are going to come about, pink-ball Tests being one such... Even four-day Tests could become a reality... Test cricket has to be more attractive, though, more result-oriented... The charm of Test cricket should not be allowed to fade away. I'd like the format to not just survive, because of tradition, but be revenue-generating as well.

T20 cricket...

The sport needed an injection and T20 has proved to be just that. Had the newest format not grown, then cricket's popularity would have declined. The two longer versions aren't going to appeal to countries like, say, the USA. For the sport to grow, T20 has to be in the forefront in some countries. The vehicle for promotion, as some have put it.

India toppling Pakistan from the No.1 position in Test cricket...

Happens... We're still No. 2 ... Rankings keep changing, it's part of the game... What counts is the way Pakistan are playing... The difference has been there for all to see. More than the rankings, the way a team plays is remembered.

Getting the managership after having served the Pakistan Cricket Board and the team in different capacities...

It's one way of contributing to Pakistan cricket and I'm happy doing so.

Finally... On the biggest challenge confronting cricket...

Corruption, which takes the form of fixing. Players, indeed, have a duty to act as whistle-blowers. That's what I tell them.

http://www.telegraphindia.com/1161113/jsp/sports/story_118982.jsp

Surprisingly, very thoughtful comments from a Pakistani ex-cricketer. I disagree with regards to Misbah training harder than Imran. Fast bowling by nature is far more taxing on the body. A batsman can never compare.

Surprisingly, very thoughtful comments from a Pakistani ex-cricketer. I disagree with regards to Misbah training harder than Imran. Fast bowling by nature is far more taxing on the body. A batsman can never compare.

Bari bhai at his job - this guy is the biggest gainer in PAK cricket - ML, PPP, Army ... whoever in power, this guy had been part of PCB, for an influential position & all that keeping his Job @ PIA, which is Karachi based. It can be an accountant's dream to figure out the TA/DA paid to Wasim Bari between Karachi-Lahore for 30 years & counting. Regarding Misbah's fitness comment - Bari Bhai has figured out that, pampering Misbah is the best way to be safe & comfortable in his new "Project".

Imran bowled over 1000 overs in a County season & batted at 4 - after that he bowled & batted similar amount in nets, & kept his shape good enough to be ranked No. 1 fast bowler at 35 - that too after a 2 years break from career threatening injury. I am sure Bari Bhai knows everything, but he has kept that in reserve, till Khan becomes the PM.

Last edited:
Yes, Kohli has brought freshness to Indian test team, we deserve that too. Everything you said about Misbah might be right but at 42 , he should retire with grace now. We have seen enough of him.

Depends on what type of fitness. Imran is leaner and faster, but Misbah is bigger and stronger.

This is one of the BEST ever interviews of any Pak ex-cricketer.

Can't believe the maturity and insight in Waseem Bari's comments. He's so old, yet so in touch with the game. Knows about players from other countries too!

Good interview, but being the manager of the team he wanted to be a little giving to Misbah, which is fine, it's his opinion. Imran Khan trained harder than any other cricketer we've had though. Imran Khan is the epitome of hard work and dedication a farcry from the current tendency to throw around the "tailunt" label and treat anyone with that label as a king :shehzad :uakmal.

If anything he didn't really have much talent, but consistent practice and hardwork took him to great heights. Even after he reached those heights he used to train his team by himself back when there was no culture of coach/fielding coach/dietician/psychiatrist/malish wala. It's why he lasted so long.

Last edited:
This is one of the BEST ever interviews of any Pak ex-cricketer.

Can't believe the maturity and insight in Waseem Bari's comments. He's so old, yet so in touch with the game. Knows about players from other countries too!

What's your opinion on Bari's comments - "Misbah trains harder than even Imran"..

What's your opinion on Bari's comments - "Misbah trains harder than even Imran"..

That's subjective. He has seen both of them closer than all of us. A bowler requires more physical fitness, Imran had a natural athlete's body, his training was also very hard.

Misbah also has things going for him -- I don't think anybody in the history of the game was as fit as Misbah at 43, playing top level cricket and still at the top of his game. Cricket is more demanding now, fitness methods too.

A statement that makes more sense is actually the one where Bari says Imran had a lot of stars and big names playing for him. While Misbah made a nobody team into a fighting, world class unit, maximizing their output.

Interesting stuff regarding Misbah.

Performances don't come easily, it's hard work that counts.

Maybe some of our 'superstars' need to learn this fact.

Misbah over Imran anyday, Imran lead the side dictatorially and someone of his decisions were doubted by even his ardent of supporters like Wasim Akram who at a point believed Khan had gone 'senile'

Apart from his off-field controversial life, and larger than life persona, Misbah has been a complete opposite of Imran in that regard.. being the humble, family man who is down to earth and accessible, and doesnot have the say in selection Imran did. Imran because of military and cricketing background family, demanded more command and respect amongst board members, however he was given a larger authority as a leader of the side that extended beyond his on-field leadership role.. he was the chief selector, captain, coach and manager of the team all at one time.. where he was only answerable to General Zia and no one else..

Thanks to his elite background, good connections with the army, Imran was always more likely to succeed than Misbah who has made it all on his sheer hard work, dedication and great man management skills. He didn't have so many people to support him during his bad days..

Apart from that the doubters and critics that Misbah has had to prove wrong day in day out for 6 years are in no comparison to what Imran has had to face, since he was a 'born leader' and enjoyed a persona that demanded devotion from fans and players are like..

Such was the abuse Misbah faced that he was teary eyed at the victory he got vs South Africa in the 3 Match ODI series in SA, having been abused the whole year for the losses his team received despite being one of the highest run getter in ODIs that year.. Imran never went under such scrutiny and never lack the dearth of talent he had at his disposal.

Last edited:
Misbah is the Peter Pan of Cricket. We will greatly miss him when he finally calls it a day.

Misbah over Imran anyday, Imran lead the side dictatorially and someone of his decisions were doubted by even his ardent of supporters like Wasim Akram who at a point believed Khan had gone 'senile'

Apart from his off-field controversial life, and larger than life persona, Misbah has been a complete opposite of Imran in that regard.. being the humble, family man who is down to earth and accessible, and doesnot have the say in selection Imran did. Imran because of military and cricketing background family, demanded more command and respect amongst board members, however he was given a larger authority as a leader of the side that extended beyond his on-field leadership role.. he was the chief selector, captain, coach and manager of the team all at one time.. where he was only answerable to General Zia and no one else..

Thanks to his elite background, good connections with the army, Imran was always more likely to succeed than Misbah who has made it all on his sheer hard work, dedication and great man management skills. He didn't have so many people to support him during his bad days..

Apart from that the doubters and critics that Misbah has had to prove wrong day in day out for 6 years are in no comparison to what Imran has had to face, since he was a 'born leader' and enjoyed a persona that demanded devotion from fans and players are like..

Such was the abuse Misbah faced that he was teary eyed at the victory he got vs South Africa in the 3 Match ODI series in SA, having been abused the whole year for the losses his team received despite being one of the highest run getter in ODIs that year.. Imran never went under such scrutiny and never lack the dearth of talent he had at his disposal.

One word for this post total bias. Imran won us a world cup, Misbah lost us a world cup. How can you say Misbah over imran anyday? lol you are so deluded my friend. Take your Misbah specs off and be more netural.

One word for this post total bias. Imran won us a world cup, Misbah lost us a world cup. How can you say Misbah over imran anyday? lol you are so deluded my friend. Take your Misbah specs off and be more netural.

Imran lost us 2 world cups, including a 1987 world cup semi final where we were favorites in our home ground against a very unrated Aussie side

Give any captain worth his salt 3 world cups to captain.. he will eventually win you one..

Misbah as of now has only captained us in 1 world cup that is 2015..

No way. Misbah over Imran, only, after he wins the Test series in Australia.

No way. Misbah over Imran, only, after he wins the Test series in Australia.

He could be, because statistically we haven't won even a test match over there in a long time.. However I still feel his feats in England should be much higher rated because the current Aussie side aren't what the used to be.. we are talking about the great sides of Allan Border, Mark Taylor, Steve Waugh and Ricky Ponting.. compared to that this side is competitive but not yet at the same level

Back