Inability of Pakistani pacers to reverse swing the ball both ways makes them ineffective

Savak

Test Captain
Runs
Post of the Week

Wasim Akram in various interviews keeps mentioning when asked to compare the present crop of international pace bowlers with the old ball vs himself and Waqar that in order for a pacer to be effective with a reverse swinging ball, in addition to 90 mph pace, you must be able to reverse swing the ball in both directions to keep batsmen guessing and on their toes.

I saw the likes of Shaheen, Hasan and Faheem get the reverse swing going but not only were they hampered by the lack of pace but also they were extremely predictable i.e. all they could do was just bring the ball back into the right hander at pedestrian pace i.e. Hasan Ali and Faheem and Shaheen against Khawaja.

This is something these bowlers will have to work on going forward because one dimensional predictable reverse swing with the old ball is no problem for quality international players like Smith, Khawaja e.t.c

Compare this to a past it Wasim operating on the same KHI wicket against Australia in 1998 against a much more celebrated batting line up and the trouble he is causing the likes of Langer and Mark Waugh because he is mixing up the length and getting the ball to reverse in both directions.

Aussies batters were scared of Wasim and now our bowler and captain are scared of Aussie batters.

Back